• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

jmknpk

Captain
50 Badges
Sep 26, 2009
  • Cities in Motion
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Semper Fi
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Majesty 2
  • Legio
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • For the Motherland
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Deus Vult
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mare Nostrum
  • Stellaris
  • Europa Universalis 4: Emperor
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Cadet
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rights of Man
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Together for Victory
  • Europa Universalis IV: Mandate of Heaven
  • Europa Universalis IV: Third Rome
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Death or Dishonor
  • Battle for Bosporus
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cradle of Civilization
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Hearts of Iron IV: La Resistance
  • Hearts of Iron IV: Expansion Pass
  • Europa Universalis IV: Rule Britannia
  • Europa Universalis IV: Golden Century
  • Europa Universalis IV: Dharma
  • Europa Universalis IV: Common Sense
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria 2
  • 500k Club
  • Elven Legacy Collection
  • Europa Universalis IV: El Dorado
  • Pride of Nations
  • Rise of Prussia
  • Mount & Blade: With Fire and Sword
  • Europa Universalis IV: Cossacks
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Crusader Kings II
I really like the option of tailoring the default starting conditions to my liking. This makes all the upgrades and expansions I purchased well worth the money.

One question though, as Germany, on the initial Diplomacy screen, should I just leave the neutrality at the default? Will events play out reasonably and Germany be able to declare war at the appropriate times with the default? If not, what should the neutrality be set to in the custom game?

It makes little difference. But lowering it can mean you can set a few laws slightly earlier than you may otherwise be able to, but the difference is minimal for Germany as it's already pretty low and gets lower quickly enough.

Its a good Idea this custom but its better i think if you play with rules
You can change tech but not the OOB 39 because after all troop boat or tank are new and its not very historical

Cg in singleplayer = easy game became even easier...

All depends. You can do away with all CAS/TAC tech as Germany if you'd like a challenge! Try and do without mechanised forces, too. That should be a sufficiently tricky start position.

Cg in singleplayer = easy game became even easier...

Or CGM in Singleplayer = I don't have to do stupid things with the Soviet 1936 OOB to make it sensible.

I can delete it all in 2 seconds and remake divisions along the lines I prefer, without all those extra stupid HQs all over the place. The time saved with not having to go into the game and reorganize every single Soviet INF division just to make them ready for support brigades is worth the price of the expansion.

EDIT: I also spend less time swearing at the screen calling Stalin a noob because he has hundreds of officers wasted in pointless theater HQs all over the place.

Well SecretM, one dont need CGM to win with Soviet... ;)

All depends. You can do away with all CAS/TAC tech as Germany if you'd like a challenge! Try and do without mechanised forces, too. That should be a sufficiently tricky start position.
Oh? I never build TAC/CAS at all as any country because I don't like to constantly manage them against enemy fighters. I don't mind using them on small scales like in spearheads but I feel like it's a waste of LS and IC if I'm barely going to use them anyway.
Am I missing out?

Oh? I never build TAC/CAS at all as any country because I don't like to constantly manage them against enemy fighters. I don't mind using them on small scales like in spearheads but I feel like it's a waste of LS and IC if I'm barely going to use them anyway.
Am I missing out?

Ya they are kinda powerful. One way you can cut down on the micro-management hell of TAC/CAS is attach them to a corps HQ and add like 3 infantry divisions to it plus a bunch of TAC/CAS. Set the HQ to automated then set a axis of advance command toward one of your main objectives. This will handle most of the micro from these units while you still control the bulk of your ground forces.

Proper micro of TAC/CAS will win you many if not most engagements when you understand just how they operate. CAS is great for ground attack missions in small areas. They will simply destroy armor formations. Interdiction is good to use a bit deeper in the enemy lines to slow down reinforcements. This area will be much larger than the CAS and deeper or "behind" the CAS. When you use this with paratroopers, armor, motor-infantry, well all I can say is that even a very hard buffed USSR can not stop the deep penetration and encirclement possibilities these combinations have.

Simply put, they are force multipliers.

Am I missing out?

Even before TFH, aircraft were very potent. They don't instantly kill enemy formations, but nothing in the game can withstand weeks of bombing. TACs in particular are devastating when used properly against softer targets, and CAS shred armored formations if left unchecked.

In TFH, aircraft got even stronger because they always penetrate no matter what tech the planes and tanks have. To test it, I ran a game as the Soviets and just built INF/ART for ground forces and built an air force that was simply huge. During the initial invasion, the Germans seemed to advance unchecked, and then we they got close to Leningrad at around the 6 week mark. And then they stopped and collapsed completely. Even under Theater AI control, my aircraft were darkening the skies and never stopped bombing them, so by the time the war had got to 6 weeks, half the German army was out of ORG. Units that lost ORG in land battles never regained it because bombers would hammer them back to nothing. Casualties weren't too severe, but who cares if all that fancy German armor has no ORG?

It took 18 months to get to force surrender because INF/ART by itself isn't ideal for encirclements or fast penetration. We had to assault along a broad front and theater AI was being cautious because it saw a ton of German stuff and didn't feel like blindly charging in.

But in the hands of a human, aircraft are even more deadly because no matter where my opponent masses armor for an offensive, if I have air superiority, I can just hammer their armor until the armored spearhead is a plowshare. And that's not even counting logistical bombing...

In the hands of a human, aircraft are even more deadly

Even before TFH, aircraft were very potent. They don't instantly kill enemy formations, but nothing in the game can withstand weeks of bombing. TACs in particular are devastating when used properly against softer targets, and CAS shred armored formations if left unchecked.

In TFH, aircraft got even stronger because they always penetrate no matter what tech the planes and tanks have. To test it, I ran a game as the Soviets and just built INF/ART for ground forces and built an air force that was simply huge. During the initial invasion, the Germans seemed to advance unchecked, and then we they got close to Leningrad at around the 6 week mark. And then they stopped and collapsed completely. Even under Theater AI control, my aircraft were darkening the skies and never stopped bombing them, so by the time the war had got to 6 weeks, half the German army was out of ORG. Units that lost ORG in land battles never regained it because bombers would hammer them back to nothing. Casualties weren't too severe, but who cares if all that fancy German armor has no ORG?

It took 18 months to get to force surrender because INF/ART by itself isn't ideal for encirclements or fast penetration. We had to assault along a broad front and theater AI was being cautious because it saw a ton of German stuff and didn't feel like blindly charging in.

But in the hands of a human, aircraft are even more deadly because no matter where my opponent masses armor for an offensive, if I have air superiority, I can just hammer their armor until the armored spearhead is a plowshare. And that's not even counting logistical bombing...

In the hands of a human, aircraft are even more deadly
To be fair, it is relative.

for example in 44 scenario as Germany, I reallistically have no chance of getting air superiority untill maybe 46, and when on offencive, i could loose ~40-60k manpower per month to just Soviet TACs and CAS bombing me, all the time.

Non the less, it diddn`t quite stop me from destroying half of red army in encirclements by 1946.

It is much more dependent over what number of divisions the damage is spread. Stopping 2 full armies of armoured and mechanised divisions is night impossible even with 40-50 wings of planes.

Oh, and if you have V2s to runway carter&logistical bomb enemy airfields, your opponent that overbuilded aviation can shit bricks of frustration.

Airpower is powerfull but relativly easy to counter.