• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Darkrenown

Star marshal
141 Badges
Jan 8, 2002
no
  • Leviathan: Warships
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • For the Motherland
  • Gettysburg
  • Hearts of Iron III
  • Hearts of Iron III: Their Finest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron III Collection
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Impire
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • King Arthur II
  • Knights of Pen and Paper +1 Edition
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Lost Empire - Immortals
  • Magicka
  • Majesty 2
  • Majesty 2 Collection
  • March of the Eagles
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Naval War: Arctic Circle
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Europa Universalis: Rome
  • Rome Gold
  • Hearts of Iron IV: No Step Back
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Ancient Space
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Cities in Motion 2
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • A Game of Dwarves
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Darkest Hour
  • Deus Vult
  • Dungeonland
  • East India Company
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Art of War
Hello everyone, welcome to the first FTM dev diary! Recently we had a poll to decide what should be the fifth and final battle scenario in FTM and the winner was Operation Unthinkable. For those of you not in the know, Operation Unthinkable was the British-American plan to attack the Soviet Union after the surrender of Germany and drive them back to their pre-war borders. The plan was also to re-arm surrendered German troops and use them to spearhead the attack. It was a risky plan, the Red army was at this point well equipped, well trained, and very battle-hardened, but at the same time the USSR was finally running out of manpower and their country had been devastated by the German invasion. While the Allies had much smaller armies in Europe they would enjoy air supremacy and the USA had only just gotten their war economy fully in gear. Of course, no one knows how the war would have panned out, as the operation was never launched, but in FTM you'll have the chance to find out.

Now you know what the fifth scenario is I suppose I should tell you what the first four are:

The Battle of the Bulge. Germany's last-ditch attempt to defeat the Allied armies in western Europe in order to free up troops to try and hold off the Russian advance in the east. Historically this failed and meant that Germany couldn't even hold the Allies at the border, but perhaps you can do better?

Southern Conquests. Japan's attempt to conquer the "Southern resource area" to gain the resources needed to keep their economy running at full bore. This meant war with Britain and the Netherlands, and since they expected the USA would intervene on the Allied side, an attack on Pearl Harbour where the US Pacific fleet was based (although PH is off map for this scenario).

Desert Rats. Italy wants to wrest Egypt and the Middle East from the hands of the British empire. They have a large but poorly equipped army in Libya facing a much smaller but better equipped British force, which the UK is rushing to reinforce. Italy also has the German "Afrika Korps" under the command of the brilliant German general, Rommel, but their supply lines from Italy are constantly in danger of interception by the Royal Navy.

Fall Blau. "Case Blue" was the German 1942 summer offensive in southern Russia. When Barbarossa failed to capture Moscow before the winter of 1941, Hitler switched his focus to economic wargoals. The goal of case Blue was to capture the oil fields of Maykop, Grozny, and Baku. However, Hitler insisted on the capture of Stalingrad, which eventually led to the encirclement and destruction of the German 6th army and almost to the collapse of the entire German southern wing.

But how do they actually work? Unlike a normal game of HoI3, when you load a battle scenario you won't see the entire map, instead most of it will be blacked out and only a specific area will be shown. You won't be able to build things, research, or conduct diplomacy etc, instead you'll just have your starting army and any reinforcements you might receive via event to achieve the victory conditions of the scenario. Those of you who played the battle scenarios in HoI2 will find this pretty familiar, but we think scenarios will work much better in FTM due to HoI3's greater number of provinces offering more tactical flexibility.

By this point there are no doubt already some modders planning to make new scenarios, but how will they do this? Well, FTM will allow you to set a list of visible provinces and regions, the rest of the map will be blacked out. You will be able to set nations has playable or not in the scenario and set custom event files and victory goals in each scenario folder. An example:
Code:
name = "SCENARIO_DESERTFOX"
desc = "SCENARIO_DESERTFOX_DESC"
icon = "GFX_bg_startdate_1936"
startdate = 1941.3.30
enddate = 1943.1.1

camera_height = 500
camera_min_x = 2471
camera_max_x = 3495
camera_min_y = 1501
camera_max_y = 1024
camera_center = { x = 2983 y = 1263 }

victory_conditions = "scenarios/desert_fox/faction_aims.txt"
events = "scenarios/desert_fox/events.txt"

# will load any history files with scenarios/scenario_name/<tag>.txt
selectable_country = ENG 
selectable_country = ITA
country = ENG
country = CAN
country = AST
country = SAF
country = GER
country = POL
ftm2.pngftm1.png

Next week: The Undeclared War.

Last edited:
Good choices i look forward to playing all of them :)

Since the reinforcements come from events do we get any prior knowledge about when we can expect reinforcements (like knowing at the start of the scenario that i get x amount of panzers in the winter 42). Or do we have to play through the scenario to discover then reinforments and such arrive?
Also are the reinforcements, supplies and such date specific or do you also use triggers for if you lose or gain provinces? (as if im playing italy and starts losing i might get more reinforcements or something like that).
Do we gain new research techs from events? if that is even possible. Desertfox is nearly 2 years long surely the army would have received some improvements in that time.

First to reply :)
Woot to this, as now people can create great scenarios for smaller scale conflicts easily for other fans who want to try all that out.

Good choices i look forward to playing all of them :)

Since the reinforcements come from events do we get any prior knowledge about when we can expect reinforcements (like knowing at the start of the scenario that i get x amount of panzers in the winter 42). Or do we have to play through the scenario to discover then reinforments and such arrive?
Also are the reinforcements, supplies and such date specific or do you also use triggers for if you lose or gain provinces? (as if im playing italy and starts losing i might get more reinforcements or something like that).
Do we gain new research techs from events? if that is even possible. Desertfox is nearly 2 years long surely the army would have received some improvements in that time.

None of this is final yet, but the idea is you'll only get your historical reinforcements and you won't know about them ahead of time. You probably won't gain any techs, but later reinforcements could be more advanced than what you start with.

Good choices for the battle scenarios :). I am really bummed out that OP Unthinkable won the contest though. But the other 4 sound great and if these are fun I'll be looking forward to buying more if they become available. (And pleeease lets not turn this into a DLC rant thread).

I look forward to hearing about how PI is going to address some challenges with Operation Unthinkable. My biggest curiosity is timing: I'm really hoping for something *after* the Potsdam conference. I would really like to see a divided Europe. It was be plausible to have the war start immediately after, since there were considerable problems with the creation of spheres of influence, etc.