• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Well, one potential gain to the Indians may be to distract attention, if the local tax-avoiders are worried their farms may be repossed -or burnt down- they may spend more time at home. Some of the other WiA scenarios reward this sort of indirect stuff and in others it is, as you say, a bit pointless.

Killing by hunger is always a good tactic in WiA, its very hard to badly harm a large army at the start, but manouver it out of supply and it'll fall apart with satisfying ease, so that may help to deal with that stack at the Dorchester?

No Attacks Via Canada. Are You sure? Attacks via multiple Directions are good Ways to outmanoeuvre an AI and Burgoyne arrives by Ship near Canada with a large army. Using to attack Albany from Canada is very possible.

Doing the best you can with the forces that actually are willing to fight - I mean the situation around Boston. Nice to see Benedict Arnold take a drubbing: his ratings are quite high and your army wasn't much larger, but I guess your regulars hold a significant edge over the mostly militia colonials.

The South looks ugly: I can't imagine you can hold on very long in Virginia, unless you get some serious reinforcements there. And Georgia is an unholy mess. Do you have any reasonable change to hold onto anything worthwhile? Savannah, perhaps?

I could easily attempt to arm indians, or unlock more indians, but they would unlock randomly (I think), and I want to spend my EPs on the things which will give me advantages in this war, namely replacements for my regulars, supplies, and attempts to sway public opinion in the colonies towards the King. Raising more Indians would only increase my forces in areas I hold to be mere sideshows. I do not plan to make any invasions via Canada, nor do I plan to raise the Indians (beyond what is scripted, I assume) as the war will be won or lost in the populated centers of the colonies. And there I will need all the advantages of well-supplied, well-reinforced regulars backed up by the might of the Royal Navy in order to prevail.

I don't share your analysis. First, you have to remember that this game is won by VP count, not by complete anniliation of the enemy force. This means that sideshows may count to grab some VP.

Secondly, Indians is one of the only way for you to "guard" areas inside the land, like Detroit and Vincennes. Once the rebels seize those, good luck to recover them.

Finally, Indians are excellent scouts, and really Brits need scouts.

Well, one potential gain to the Indians may be to distract attention, if the local tax-avoiders are worried their farms may be repossed -or burnt down- they may spend more time at home. Some of the other WiA scenarios reward this sort of indirect stuff and in others it is, as you say, a bit pointless.

Killing by hunger is always a good tactic in WiA, its very hard to badly harm a large army at the start, but manouver it out of supply and it'll fall apart with satisfying ease, so that may help to deal with that stack at the Dorchester?

True, but I have more pressing needs for my EPs than the current options for Indian warfare allow. Bear in mind that this is my first go-round with this particular scenario, so it just seems like throwing guns at the natives is a particularly expensive choice for the gain I get from it.

Thandros said:
No Attacks Via Canada. Are You sure? Attacks via multiple Directions are good Ways to outmanoeuvre an AI and Burgoyne arrives by Ship near Canada with a large army. Using to attack Albany from Canada is very possible.

Because attacking Albany from Canada was such a great idea in real life...oh wait, Burgoyne ended up surrendering his whole force to the Americans, didn't he?

The problem with attacking via Canada is supply. In order to launch a realistic shot at taking Albany, I need to have a significant corp arrive fresh to take the city (since Albany can be easily reinforced from New York by bateaux). There are only two routes from Canada to Albany.

Route #1: Lake Champlain: Most of the 'marching' can be done by boat...but there are no supply depots between Montreal and Albany. None. I would have to build my own. This slows things down considerably, AND represents a drain on EP as I need to purchase supply wagons to use in this campaign. These depots, once built, need to be defended, which represents a FURTHER drain on the power of the corp. So, IF I can manage to capture Ft. Ticonderoga, and IF I manage to create a supply depot there...then perhaps I can make an attempt at Albany...which is worth only 1 VP per turn.

Route #2: Mohawk river valley: Move army from Montreal to Ft. Oswego by bateux, but then I have to march up the valley, defeat two forts, and establish supply depots. The advantage of going this way is that the terrain favors my units (forests instead of wilderness), but the disadvantage is, again...forts and no supply. Again, a long-slow slog building depots and moving my forces forward to fight at the end of my supply tether while the colonialists are falling back on their supplies. All for 1 VP.

Neither route is very attractive.

Alternatively, I can use Burgoyne's corp to open another front against the middle colonies...perhaps make a play for BOTH New York AND Philadelphia at the same time. In these theatres, the terrain favors my forces, I can supply them by sea and the plentiful cities that cannot all be defended, and the VP gain (in destroyed American units and in strategic cities) is far higher. I'll get more and better use out of Burgoyne's corp in the main theatre than I would in a pie-in-the-sky invasion across unfavorable ground.

In real life, Burgoyne was tasked to take Albany because the British had already failed to keep Boston, and had already taken New York...and it was part of the plan to have the New York army move north up the Hudson to take Albany in conjunction with Burgoyne, and sever New England from the rest of the country. The move north from New York is the best and easiest way to take Albany, and was in 1777 as well. It is unrealistic to assume that Burgoyne could have taken Albany all by himself, and events proved this to be true.

Now, I will look to reinforce Canada, and do some raiding with the Mohawks, once they unlock. But I will not be trying to recreate the Saratoga campaign.

Stuyvesant said:
Doing the best you can with the forces that actually are willing to fight - I mean the situation around Boston. Nice to see Benedict Arnold take a drubbing: his ratings are quite high and your army wasn't much larger, but I guess your regulars hold a significant edge over the mostly militia colonials.

The South looks ugly: I can't imagine you can hold on very long in Virginia, unless you get some serious reinforcements there. And Georgia is an unholy mess. Do you have any reasonable change to hold onto anything worthwhile? Savannah, perhaps?

Right. Regulars on open ground have significant advantages over militia. Arnold does play smart though in the next turn. The south is indeed ugly. Lots of empty space and tiny units running around. Anything could happen.

Savannah has already fallen to the rebels, and has significant defenses. I will try to hold the strategic cities, Augusta, Camden, Charlotte, etc. But my forces are so weak...its going to be touch and go until reinforcements arrive.

Dewirix said:
It looks pretty good for the British at the moment, but I'd imagine that that can't last forever. What are the conditions for foreign intervention on behalf of the colonies?

Well, I haven't really engaged most of the country yet, and the rebels VP count is growing due to my small area controlled.

On foreign intervention...I actually have no idea. I'll try to find out.

Narwhal said:
I don't share your analysis. First, you have to remember that this game is won by VP count, not by complete anniliation of the enemy force. This means that sideshows may count to grab some VP.

Secondly, Indians is one of the only way for you to "guard" areas inside the land, like Detroit and Vincennes. Once the rebels seize those, good luck to recover them.

Finally, Indians are excellent scouts, and really Brits need scouts.

Good, some discussion! This is my first playthrough, so I won't hesitate to say that I could very well be wrong.

More VPs are available in the populated areas. Pittsburgh, Vincennes, Detroit, and Ft. Niagara are the only VP centers outside of my planned 'serious campaign' zone. So even if I lose two of the VP centers, I can make things up elsewhere by using my EPs more intelligently.

I suppose I should update myself and say that I will prioritize Indian EPs below regular army EPs. I may still attempt to raise more indians, but, at present I have more pressing needs for my EPs.

I will still try to fight in the west, but I will not try to make audacious campaigns there. I have no intention of just abandoning the area. Just not going to be spending an inordinate amount of time and resources trying to save areas that aren't really all that important.

August 1775

My loyalist milita inflict a devastating defeat on the rebels at Ninety-Six...we kill 20 raiders for no loss to ourselves, and then inflict a further 11 hits on the enemy militia as it retreats!

battleof96.jpg

My militia then garrison Augusta, and our success mobilizes more militia in South and North Carolina. Those loyalists move to secure Charlotte and Camden.

southu.jpg

In Virginia, the rebels disperse, and Lord Dunsmore manages to raise more loyalist militia, which gives the local advantage back to us. Dunsmore moves on Portsmouth by boat, in a first step towards reaching Petersburg.

virginiav.jpg

In Canada, the rebel raiders give our indians the slip (by way of Ft. St. John...) and are sighted on Lac St. Pierre, heading in the direction of Trois Rivieres or Quebec. General Carleton reacts, moving his brigade toward Trois Rivieres and calling some militia from Quebec to come down river. I also move some supplies down river...

I am not sure what I can achieve here, as the rebel raiders can move faster than my forces, and I really don't know how much power the rebels have. Fingers crossed...and it is highly likely that I am about to 'learn something.'

canadaql.jpg

Finally, Boston.

General Pigott manages to drive off Arnold at Durham (Arnold retreated before battle), but the fort there is sufficiently strong to preclude an assault, and without cannon Pigott cannot effectively siege the town. Pigott reluctantly returns to Salem.

General Howe arrives at Worchester and prepares to assault the puny force there.

The big surprise though is that Gage is active! After I move all those forces away from my snoozing senior general, he wakes up.

Facepalm.

Engaging the forces on the Dorchester Heights with Gage's weakened army is foolish...and Burgoyne is also inactive at Cambridge. I do not want to reduce Boston's garrison any further and risk a successful rebel assault on the city, nor do I want to risk an assault on the full strength defenses yet.

So, even though Gage is active, he will remain inactive. I have succeeded in taking the initiative away from myself.

Oops.

bostonvq.jpg

I also look to raise more regular replacements, and press the 'process turn' button.

epsa.jpg

strewth ... Gage is frustrating ... . Good job getting a modicum of control back around Augusta. I'd more or less ignore those raiders, they can't take anything important, and you may as well sit static as spend ages trying to second guess them (its a big enough lottery doing that yourself with your own irregulars), not least as you may struggle to actually find them to bring them to combat in any case

Norfolk is safe, you've unlocked some extra units in the South (but I expect they are rather small and underpowered - hardly the stuff to use to go on an all-conquering rampage) and even if you're not moving in/out Boston, at least your situation there is well under control. Sounds like a pretty good turn to me. :)

Gage is perhaps deliberately trying to avoid getting dragged into anything as undignified as a battle. Perhaps he's realised that if he stirs himself only after all the troops under his command are elsewhere then he won't have to do anything, but can legitimately claim that he was ready for action.

strewth ... Gage is frustrating ... . Good job getting a modicum of control back around Augusta. I'd more or less ignore those raiders, they can't take anything important, and you may as well sit static as spend ages trying to second guess them (its a big enough lottery doing that yourself with your own irregulars), not least as you may struggle to actually find them to bring them to combat in any case

Yes, and even in non-action he thwarts me. Of course, had I actually thought through my deployment, I would have been able to use him to threaten Dorchester...I'll go through this in the next post.

Control in the deep south is always tenuous at best so far. I gain some small success this month...am waiting for the militia to rise up and crush me.

Stuyvesant said:
Norfolk is safe, you've unlocked some extra units in the South (but I expect they are rather small and underpowered - hardly the stuff to use to go on an all-conquering rampage) and even if you're not moving in/out Boston, at least your situation there is well under control. Sounds like a pretty good turn to me.

Yep. Things are going well. Still losing on the VP counter...but I have a few years to catch up.

Dewirix said:
Gage is perhaps deliberately trying to avoid getting dragged into anything as undignified as a battle. Perhaps he's realised that if he stirs himself only after all the troops under his command are elsewhere then he won't have to do anything, but can legitimately claim that he was ready for action.

:D
Nice way of putting it. He gets his last revenge on me though...even after I figured out what I should have done with him. I've got to hand it to the man, a pain in the ass from start to finish...

September 1775

In the south, my forces take Camden and Charlotte unopposed, though South Carolina militia have mustered near Camden to dispute my control over the city. (And I deleted the screenshot... :mad:)

In Virginia, Lord Dunsmore easily takes Portsmouth, and prepares to move on Petersburg. No opposition is around, and I am wondering where the Virginia militia has gone off to.

virginiai.jpg

In New York, George Rogers Clark appears outside Ft. Niagara, in a chilling reminder that Narwhal's warnings about the vulnerability of my frontier forts without indian allies. The structure is still intact, and I can remove the garrison by boat to Ft. Oswego if things get bad...or just wait for the Americans to freeze in the coming winter...muhuhahahaa!

newyorkm.jpg

In Canada, the American raiders appear to be stuck on Lac St. Pierre, so I send General Carleton's force back to Montreal, the Indians to the mouth of Lake Champlain, and the local militia will garrison Trois Rivieres. Quebec is amply garrisoned, so that should keep me well stocked here for a while. I may still keep some of Burgoyne's forces in Canada as protection for the string of Forts from Niagara to Quebec...depending on how much I need reinforcements in next years campaigns. Still convinced an overland assault at Albany is madness...but a mobile defence force stationed at Montreal would be very useful in keeping the Americans from making to much mischief in upper New York and Canada.

canadabm.jpg

In Boston, General Gage is sent home and General Howe takes command...which moves Howe from command of his force at Worchester, back into Boston. Leaving my force at Worchester significantly under-commanded. Curse you Gage! Even when you leave you screw up my plans!

howereplacesgage.jpg

So, I commence shuffling units around. I leave Clinton (and his annoying -4 cp trait) in Boston with a token force (~100 pwr) to keep the Continentals from trying anything foolish, load the rest of the regulars under Howe and instruct them to move to Cambridge. General Pigott's force is split, leaving a decent garrison in Salem, and I move the rest of that force to Cambridge as well. General Grant is ordered to seize Providence, and cut off the rebel force at Dorchester from reinforcements, and the remainder of forces that cannot be commanded by Grant will return to Cambridge and join Howe's army. My goal is a force of about ~500 power with which to dislodge the rebels at Dorchester, and hopefully force them onto the cape. Winter is coming within the next few weeks, and I want the rebels on the move when it occurs.

bostonj.jpg

Seems to be going well, but I'm a little concerned about your forces' seeming blindness - the fact that the Americans came out of nowhere near Niagara, the fact that you don't know where the Virginians are hanging out... I'm impressed with Lord Dunsmore's aggressive moves in pacifying Virginia, but his force looks awfully small...

looks well thought out to try and destroy that large force of tax evaders at Dorchester.

In the Lakes region, water movement is very important, you can often shuffled brigades around to block an enemy offensive quite quickly

Yes...it looks like a good plan. How hard could it be?

I have stationed my bateaux at Quebec, Montreal, and Ft. Niagara. Once the ice clears, I will be able to move one bateaux to Ft. Oswego, and I should be able to move any of my forces at any time.

Stuyvesant said:
Seems to be going well, but I'm a little concerned about your forces' seeming blindness - the fact that the Americans came out of nowhere near Niagara, the fact that you don't know where the Virginians are hanging out... I'm impressed with Lord Dunsmore's aggressive moves in pacifying Virginia, but his force looks awfully small...

Yes, I lack Indians or cavalry to scout with.

Dunsmore's force IS small...but so are the other American forces in the south.

October 1775

My loyalists at Camden, South Carolina are outmaneuvered by a larger rebel force and retreat towards the south after a skirmish.

battleofcamden.jpg

I decide to take one of the small towns in the area, and hope the rebels move off again.

southbi.jpg

In Virginia, Lord Dunsmore offers freedom to any slave who deserts his master and fights for the British...

royalethiopians.jpg

However an epidemic strikes his men at Petersburg...ending any chance at a march on Richmond.

virginiav.jpg

In New York, George Rogers Clark abandons the siege of Ft. Niagara, and moves to the Mohawk valley. I do not pursue.

In Canada, the rebel force has formed a floating city on Lac St. Pierre and refuses to budge. I move my forces to winter quarters.

canadami.jpg

General Burgoyne leaves New England...rumours are that he will return with reinforcements for Canada.

burgoyneleaves.jpg

He leaves just before the eave of the first great battle in New England. Lord Howe prepares his men to march on the Dorchester Heights. The British Fleet weighs anchor and heads to cut off any retreat routes from the Cape in anticipation of our victory. General Grant holds the land retreat route through Providence shut. The rebels likely outnumber us, but are composed mostly of a militia rabble with some guns. With winter but a scant few weeks away, this move could destroy rebel resistance in New England. How hard could it be?

bostonz.jpg

As a final act, I offer an amnesty to all militia members from New England and the middle states in order to discourage the future growth of the rebel army.

amnesties.jpg

I then proceed to the next turn...

Well, well, the serious fighting is about to begin. I look forward to great success in the Boston area (although I have to admit, with your liberal use of the phrase 'how hard could it be', sooner or later your luck' gonna run out and the answer will be 'just a little too hard, in this case'. ;) I just hope we're not there yet).

Nice touch with the amnesty offers.

Well, well, the serious fighting is about to begin. I look forward to great success in the Boston area (although I have to admit, with your liberal use of the phrase 'how hard could it be', sooner or later your luck' gonna run out and the answer will be 'just a little too hard, in this case'. ;) I just hope we're not there yet).

Nice touch with the amnesty offers.

Thanks! I'd like to try to win over the 'hearts and minds' of the colonists...but that looks pretty tough, especially in New England!

The first serious battle of the war, coming right up!

loki100 said:
its always scary when you press 'next turn' on a complex set of moves or a very important turn ... eek

In this case, it was pretty exciting. I wasn't sure what was going to happen, but in either case, I figured I could handle the strategic consequences. Success would be glorious, defeat could still be a strategic success...

November 1775

The rebel militia move north from Camden and defeat my North Carolina loyalists at Charlotte...

battleofcharlotte.jpg

My two loyalist forces will now move on undefended Camden, and look to hold upper South Carolina. Upper North Carolina is too heavily held by rebel rabble...

Camden could be a good base to operate against the Georgia rebels...while we wait for British regulars to take some of the ports.

southe.jpg

In Virginia, the epidemic continues, so Lord Dunsmore remains trapped at Petersburg, without sufficient force to move north.

In New York, the rebels retreat towards Albany, and settle in for the winter.

In Canada, the rebels on Lac St. Pierre have either starved or melted away. In any case, the Americans have failed to take Montreal or anything of importance in Canada, and I can declare this years efforts a success. I look to move some excess Canadian militia down towards Montreal, in preparation for activities next campaign season. I am debating establishing a fort at the mouth of Lac Champlain, or establishing some depots in upper Canada (later Kingston or Toronto) with an eye towards more easily defending Ft. Niagara and Ft. Detroit. Things to think about, anyway.

canadabx.jpg

And finally, what we've all been waiting for. The Battle of Dorchester Heights!

Lord Howe led his forces out of Cambridge, and covered the distance slowly, (he's a slow mover). After two weeks of maneuvering, he finally assaulted the trenches and breastworks surrounding the Continental army under the command of the recently arrived George Washington. The rebels had been able to assemble around ~11,000 men, while Howe would only be attacking with around ~4,000 men. Howe's forces, however, were all regulars, while Washington's forces were mostly militia, with a few trained regiments. Washington's greatest advantage on the day was not his numerical advantage, but his defensive position, fortified over months, and the presence of cannon, which Howe did not have.

In the midst of a rainy, November day, the rebel artillery and militia riflemen inflicted significant casualties on the advancing regulars, but once the regulars reached close range, the lightly armed militia (most of whom did not have bayonets) were slaughtered. Washington brought up reinforcements to the threatened sections however, and, after two hours on the field, and seeing that his force was insufficient to break the rebel position, Howe ordered a retreat. Washington did not pursue.

battleofdorchesterheigh.jpg

General Howe would order his troops to rest and refit in Cambridge, while ordering General Tryon to recon the roads out of Dorchester with his dragoons to ensure that the British would remain well aware of Washington's intentions. General Grant was ordered to abandon his defense of Providence (as it served no purpose to attempt to defend it if Washington moved south) and ordered to take Newport, as a step towards achieving trade superiority in New England.

Looks like I am unable to drive the Continentals out of New England with my current forces here...but I am going to make damn sure I am a nuisance. Even better, if I can hold the rebel force here, then New York will be easier to take in the spring, or so the plan goes.

newengland.jpg