• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Thats actually a good idea, didn't think about it that way. I guess we could also mod it via Event that when any Chinese faction goes to war with Japan or Manchukuo that Taiwan and Manchuria get added as cores then.

Right. And has anyone looked into the game or played already? The Chinese map looks pretty awesome to me then the game crashed due to my crappy computer that barely ran the game.
The Yellow River is running a completely different course... and the coast is extremely poorly defined... HK and Macau are the same size; half of Ningbo is eroded away, etc... But, there seems to be the Clio project for HOI3, which should alleviate these deficiencies.

Armed Forces: The distribution of them for all Chinese factions seem ok , though they seemed to have followed the OOB of Hoi2 rather than Armageddon. Leaders are the same from original Hoi 2, thus severely lacking due to the sheer amount of divisions you have to churn out. NatChi starts with 2 garrison, 65 infantry and 18 militia brigades total. 1 tac air and 1 Int. 4 light cruisers and 2 destroyers plus 1 transport.

Ministers, same as hoi 2, minimal and boring

Events : Tumble-weed aka zero . Marco Polo bridge auto fires on Jan 1st 1937. No other events, no Xian incident, moving industry to interior, Rape of Nanking etc. No United Front event either.

Decisions : zero.
Firstly, I doubt that any nation got an expanded leader list, so the playing field is level there, so to speak. Secondly, there are now no maluses for nameless leaders, which is quite a big plus. Ditto with minister list.

OOB is a problem though, since with the new bde->div system, the game should theoretically be able to mimic the NRA organizational structure IRL, that is, square divisions of ~6k men, with a few artillery and engineer regiments ~1k thrown in here and there, and a couple of triangular German divs ~10k men. However, the OOB is mostly intact from HOI2. Of the ~120 IRL divisions, only 65 exist in the game? What's more, the entire IC of China pretty much needs to go into feeding those 65 divs? How are players to build a historically sized NRA??? And don't even get me started on CHC's uberstacks of death.

About technology I was actually thinking about it while HOI2 was around...The problem is did CHI deserve to even have 36 infantry troops at gamestart? I mean the Japs were weak enough as compared to the West, but the Chinese were almost too unable to defend the Japs. The best solution I've had so far is creating hordes of 18 militia and maybe just a few 18 infantry for CHI, not only will this make modernization of the Chinese armed forces much more difficult, but it will also require much more time, either in HOI2 and especially in HOI3, so we won't see China being able to take on the Japanese or even the Soviets extremely early.
Because, like you said, the NatChi experience should focus on the historical SJW, I'm of the persuasion that yeah, NatChi should get some 36 infantry. As JAP is the only intended opponent for NatChi, it shouldn't matter how CHI infantry matches up with, say, German inf, only that they are adequately strong (or weak) for portraying a prolonged war with Japan. At the same time, allowing for 36 infantry gives greater possible attention to detail to the various Chinese divisions in the game-start OOB, so that it is possible to use these details to deliver a more nuanced overview of the Chinese armies as wildly varying forces full of... personality, as opposed to the homogeneous horde of identical, faceless mooks that they are in popular imagination.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

So it seems that HOI3, like HOI2, is quite deficient in accurate depiction of the Sino-Japanese War. To that end, there will probably be a...

Chinese Historical Improvements

mod. (Check out the initialism, isn't it witty?)

Areas that deserve immediate attention include:
- better bde/div/corps/army/theater naming&structuring
- tech tree "personalization"
- decisions... china did not operate on cruise control for those 12 years...
- events... if only to make for a less boring 1936-1937
- more pictures... possibly
- better politics** and diplomacy (and espionage?)

** I missed the memo: The Emperor Protection Society was the largest party in NatChi. And the KMT is apparently fascistic. If not for not Hanlon's Razor, I'd think that Paradox has a grudge with China... :wacko:

Thats actually a good idea, didn't think about it that way. I guess we could also mod it via Event that when any Chinese faction goes to war with Japan or Manchukuo that Taiwan and Manchuria get added as cores then.

For the above reasons argued by xtfoster, right I agree but I think if possible, the United Front or whatever they call it should be event-driven(Again I don't yet know how exactly the HOI3 mechanics work) Machuria should be a core however as none of the other factions need to be friendly with it. Taiwan should only be considered a core if CHI or CHC has defeated Japan and are not willing to grant it independence, along with any other potential cores like Korea or Ryukyu Islands. It's never been considered officially part of China since 1912.

mib said:
Because, like you said, the NatChi experience should focus on the historical SJW, I'm of the persuasion that yeah, NatChi should get some 36 infantry. As JAP is the only intended opponent for NatChi, it shouldn't matter how CHI infantry matches up with, say, German inf, only that they are adequately strong (or weak) for portraying a prolonged war with Japan. At the same time, allowing for 36 infantry gives greater possible attention to detail to the various Chinese divisions in the game-start OOB, so that it is possible to use these details to deliver a more nuanced overview of the Chinese armies as wildly varying forces full of... personality, as opposed to the homogeneous horde of identical, faceless mooks that they are in popular imagination.

I see what you're saying. The battle of Shanghai. Other than that I can't think of any other battles that those what we called 36 divisions would suit.

It's unfortunate that there seems to be nothing between 1918 and 1936. Many historians referred to the 1937 era Nationalist elites merely troops wearing German helmets. Tactically speaking the battle of Shanghai was a disaster although they did stop the Japs for a while and we paid a price of losing all our best and a quick fall of Nanking. That is why over time I was thinking if giving CHI some 36 infantry and some in production like in HOI2 was necessary.

Consider the number of divisions both side threw in Shanghai(more than 70 on CHI side). A battle there in terms of the game would probably last even longer than 3 months, if we do pull 70 divisions, even if they are all militia(I did put consideration in stacking penalties), and of course with superior number I think it's plausible that China could survive and manage to take on Japan for a long time. The hardest thing to achieve is to make AI Japan to change its course of invasion if a CHI player stacks huge number of troops on the coast, so Japan should try to attack where China wishes to defend the most. But well that's another question there.

It's unfortunate that there seems to be nothing between 1918 and 1936. Many historians referred to the 1937 era Nationalist elites merely troops wearing German helmets.
Which is entirely untrue, just compare the performance of the original German divisions at the start of the Shanghai battle with the performance of the later "German" divisions... in August when they had been reinforced by provincial troops. The German training, more than anything, provided a junior officer corps that was capable of giving and receiving orders, something that is really the weakest link in the Chinese army...

Consider the number of divisions both side threw in Shanghai(more than 70 on CHI side). A battle there in terms of the game would probably last even longer than 3 months, if we do pull 70 divisions, even if they are all militia(I did put consideration in stacking penalties), and of course with superior number I think it's plausible that China could survive and manage to take on Japan for a long time. The hardest thing to achieve is to make AI Japan to change its course of invasion if a CHI player stacks huge number of troops on the coast, so Japan should try to attack where China wishes to defend the most. But well that's another question there.
I haven't read the manual in its entirety, but I don't think there are stacking penalties in HOI3. With an appropriately high level general, the front width is expanded and units are cycled in to fill the front and cycled out when they are no longer able to. Not sure if they recover org while 'in waiting'.

Besides, with the new province system, and the new marine transport system, it has become trivial to launch an amphibious landing. Which is at odds with reality, there's a reason the Japanese only attempted amphibious landings in Hainan - in Shanghai, Amoy and Canton, they already had an established foothold.

I've been poking around with the files. It seems we can edit starting units from Chi 1936.txt file.

regiment = { type = infantry_brigade historical_model = 0 }

0= pre 1918 infantry, All NatChi and other Chinese factions all start with this level. 1= 1918 , 2=1936, 3= 1938. So i guess we can edit in the 'German divisions'. As with all infantry will be level zero, the elite divisions can be level 2.

However, 1 big problem i spotted is that Japan has zero infantry techs also and start with all their infantry level zero in the 1936 scenario. So having these divisions for China might cause imbalance if the Japanese infantry aren't buffed (which is wierd as even in Hoi2 they started with a combination of 18 and 36 infantry).

There are stacking penalties, its 1% for each combat brigade in combat. There is also province combat width space, so at best it will be on average of 10-15 Brigades in most combats, 20-25 if encircled or being attacked from different provinces. Units that are waiting do not recover Org. Unit cycling is random, modified by Doctrines but not sure whether the General skill or rank contribute.

As for the Amphi invasion problem, my temporary solution is to change the

SUPPLYPOOL_DAYS = 30, variable to 15, which will allow invasions to be bottled up and destroyed easily after 15 days if they don't take a port which is needed for supplies. This though has a side effect of having normal divisions have only 15 days of supply which will cause balance issues in land pockets.

P.S. a kind soul has edited the Chinese cores here http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419356

P.S.S Another kind sould has Excelled all the provinces and its a good database reference.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419429

P.S.S.S Yet another useful tool, OOB editor, tested and works http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418702

Last edited:
I'm not buying HoI 3 till this is all either fixed or modded to be playable...so I am extremely happy to see you all plugging away at this, and so far I agree with everything you've been discussing.

So Mib or Clanjay or someone else want to start up the CHI project as lead? I'm afraid i can only contribute in a limited fashion due to time constraints so i can't do any leading.

I've been poking around with the files. It seems we can edit starting units from Chi 1936.txt file.

regiment = { type = infantry_brigade historical_model = 0 }

0= pre 1918 infantry, All NatChi and other Chinese factions all start with this level. 1= 1918 , 2=1936, 3= 1938. So i guess we can edit in the 'German divisions'. As with all infantry will be level zero, the elite divisions can be level 2.

However, 1 big problem i spotted is that Japan has zero infantry techs also and start with all their infantry level zero in the 1936 scenario. So having these divisions for China might cause imbalance if the Japanese infantry aren't buffed (which is wierd as even in Hoi2 they started with a combination of 18 and 36 infantry).

There are stacking penalties, its 1% for each combat brigade in combat. There is also province combat width space, so at best it will be on average of 10-15 Brigades in most combats, 20-25 if encircled or being attacked from different provinces. Units that are waiting do not recover Org. Unit cycling is random, modified by Doctrines but not sure whether the General skill or rank contribute.

As for the Amphi invasion problem, my temporary solution is to change the

SUPPLYPOOL_DAYS = 30, variable to 15, which will allow invasions to be bottled up and destroyed easily after 15 days if they don't take a port which is needed for supplies. This though has a side effect of having normal divisions have only 15 days of supply which will cause balance issues in land pockets.

P.S. a kind soul has edited the Chinese cores here http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419356

P.S.S Another kind sould has Excelled all the provinces and its a good database reference.
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=419429

P.S.S.S Yet another useful tool, OOB editor, tested and works http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?t=418702

The major problem is that they refused to put in some other models between 18 and 36. And seriously the so-called German divisions were that good as many thought. Right, there had been almost 100 German advisors yet none of them had the experience during the rearmament of Germany, which was a major revolution in modern war. China's been sending men to Germany prior to 1933, so it is better to say that these divisions were built following the Weimar ones than the Nazi ones. And as mib mentioned China's enemy should be Japan and getting them 36 is way to take on Japan. Right. But problem is what if a player wants to ally Japan(by cheating or something else I don't know) and turns against Britain and France? We might have to think about implementing an enhanced tech tree, but it'll be very tedious and complicated to do.

Setting all the rest to pre-1918 infantry isn't appropriate though. China's army was just too complex and not unified enough, thus wouldn't be fair to get all under that level. If we had like 50 different models that could probably fix that problem. But, nah...

And leading the project? I think anyone, especially mib, could and should take the job. I guess none of us are professional game modders and everyone has to work or go to school. We could discuss how and where we people want to get the mod to and do it step by step. No big problem.

Ai problems : this is for all factions not just NatChi, the ai will happily guard allied borders or sit around doing nothing even if you give them orders e.g. defend these provinces etc. They will respond to invasion only after the provinces are taken, that is once you already lost the province and the enemy is already pouring in. This to me is a problem as theres way too much to micro, Hoi 2 was hard but ok, this is way way worse. The whole of China has 3-4 times more provinces than Hoi2 and just as many new beaches. The whole of China is considered 1 theatre and you cannot subdivide it, so the ai will happily distribute all its forces across the whole of your territory even though you told it to defend the beaches. The other Chinese factions don't have this much problems as their theatres cover smaller territories so the AI can manage to an extent.

This is frustrating as hell, but so historically accurate that it brings tears to my eyes. Probably unintentional, but it brings the focus to what it should be, using the central army troops to fight the Japanese with only auxilary help from the warlords.

The Yellow River is running a completely different course... and the coast is extremely poorly defined... HK and Macau are the same size; half of Ningbo is eroded away, etc... But, there seems to be the Clio project for HOI3, which should alleviate these deficiencies.

The yellow river is a problem that cannot be solved in game. exhibit A: the yellow river in 1936

Yellow_River.jpg

exhibit B: the yellow river from 1938 - 1946

china_plan_1941.jpg

The dike flooding made the river empty south of the Shandong peninsula and I'm pretty sure the course of rivers can't be changed in game. That being said do we know that the river before the dikes flooded followed the same course it does now?

As for the Amphi invasion problem

There isn't a problem. The ahistorical Pacific wall that we Chinese players like to build should be an impossibility. China has 14,500 km of coastline now. Subtract Manchuria and that probably drops to 10 - 12, 000 km in 1936. The entire Atlantic wall from Norway to Spain was only 5,300 km.

I haven't played the game yet, but looking at the supply map on someone else's Japan AAR, it seems like the only major ports are Tianjin, Qingdao, Shanghai and Guangdong/Hong Kong. The Japanese can land anywhere but they can't supply their troops without a major port. And there aren't very many of those.

The lack of events and the Marco polo firing on Jan 1st is a travesty. There should be a cool chain of national decisions between Japan and Nat Chi that lead to war. Also, the Xi'an incident should be moved to the correct date.

The major problem is that they refused to put in some other models between 18 and 36. And seriously the so-called German divisions were that good as many thought. Right, there had been almost 100 German advisors yet none of them had the experience during the rearmament of Germany, which was a major revolution in modern war. China's been sending men to Germany prior to 1933, so it is better to say that these divisions were built following the Weimar ones than the Nazi ones. And as mib mentioned China's enemy should be Japan and getting them 36 is way to take on Japan. Right. But problem is what if a player wants to ally Japan(by cheating or something else I don't know) and turns against Britain and France? We might have to think about implementing an enhanced tech tree, but it'll be very tedious and complicated to do.

Setting all the rest to pre-1918 infantry isn't appropriate though. China's army was just too complex and not unified enough, thus wouldn't be fair to get all under that level. If we had like 50 different models that could probably fix that problem. But, nah...

And leading the project? I think anyone, especially mib, could and should take the job. I guess none of us are professional game modders and everyone has to work or go to school. We could discuss how and where we people want to get the mod to and do it step by step. No big problem.
Actually, the game was designed to have the Chinese mostly use the Militia Branch instead of the Infantry Branch. So we could have the "German" divisions be 1918 Infantry (maybe 1936), and the rest be 1918 (or 36) Militia.

The lack of events and the Marco polo firing on Jan 1st is a travesty. There should be a cool chain of national decisions between Japan and Nat Chi that lead to war. Also, the Xi'an incident should be moved to the correct date.
OK, I've taken a look at this, and we could handle this a couple of ways.
1) We could add a month = 6 to have the decision not become available until July...this would result in the war starting on July 1 every time (except when controlled by a player).
2) We could change the event to be enabled by an event and have the event set to fire with a average time of early to mid July (you can't set a specific date).

What Xi'an Incident? In HOI3 there is no 1936 Civil war with either the CHC or Guangxi...

The Cores need to be added via event, having them any other way will generate WAY TO MUCH drift away from each other, preventing any kind of Chinese alliance EXCEPT by event.

EDIT: Shouldn't we start a new thread in the HOI3 Mod section...or do some of you not have access to that yet.

Actually, the game was designed to have the Chinese mostly use the Militia Branch instead of the Infantry Branch. So we could have the "German" divisions be 1918 Infantry (maybe 1936), and the rest be 1918 (or 36) Militia.

Right. This is the point I've been trying to make, although obviously those(36D, 87D, 88D, Jiaodao Zhongdui) were better that 18 infantry. Judging from their historical performances, maybe lowering their organization is a better way to do. The thing is I don't know if this could be done by event or something else. It wouldn't make sense if they survived the war after some years and all of a sudden became much inferior than the rest of the newly-built Chinese divisions because they have lower organization.

Oh yeah, I wanted to open a thread in the HOI3 section but like you said no game yet. And I'm assuming modding won't start til some of us are pretty familiar with the game right?

And wait? I thought Canton area was occupied way before Pearl? So why is it that they wanted to occupy it again? Maybe just to secure Hong Kong?

Right. This is the point I've been trying to make, although obviously those(36D, 87D, 88D, Jiaodao Zhongdui) were better that 18 infantry. Judging from their historical performances, maybe lowering their organization is a better way to do. The thing is I don't know if this could be done by event or something else. It wouldn't make sense if they survived the war after some years and all of a sudden became much inferior than the rest of the newly-built Chinese divisions because they have lower organization.
Just make them Infantry '36, but have the Chinese be behind the Japanese in Doctrines (plus the Chinese should be on the "Human Wave" path, can't remember what it is called in HOI3)
Oh yeah, I wanted to open a thread in the HOI3 section but like you said no game yet. And I'm assuming modding won't start til some of us are pretty familiar with the game right?
Well, plans can be laid, and assignments given. But I wouldn't feel comfortable sharing even my modified files with people who haven't registered the game.
And wait? I thought Canton area was occupied way before Pearl? So why is it that they wanted to occupy it again? Maybe just to secure Hong Kong?
Hmm, not sure what this is about. OK, you are talking about Porkman's maps...I thought Hainan had fallen before this also...

I have created a thread for the CHI project here.

Since it is now viewable by all, even those without HOI3 registered, may I propose that future discussion about HOI3 be directed there? :) (That was why I started discussion about the new project here, because not everyone would be able to access it).

Hi, i will play Japan, and i wondered this mod. I have some questions.

Does this mod, only empowders Chinese powers to help them gain victory?

Do Japs have any events, and benefits from this mod?

Does it improves historically the scnerio, or just, makes a alternative China beats Japan?

Sorry, but if this helps both sides, and gives a historical pleasure, i wantto download it.

Everyone of you here are so clear with the geographical of asia territories, even me dont have enough time to spend my day studying the topography myself, salute all of you

Hi,

I tried to download the CCIP on page 1 1st post, but I always get an ERROR 500 :(
Is ist just me, or is it really the other side?

Also I wanted to know if CCIP is compatible to AoD?

the download link is not working any more, because we are 3 year later then the first post. if someone have this mod could he post a new link?

Hey guys, from what i know the person who made this mod is really busy now with other things in his life and has been out of touch for quite some time. He planned to port to Hoi 3 then disappeared.

No this mod is Not AoD compatible, its for Doomsday/Armageddon only.

I personally don't have my old files for this mod anymore, so unless someone else kept their old backups, This mod is kinda unavailable.

Last edited: