Ad Astra! ... an Aurora Forum Game, run by blue emu

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Were there any crew casualties on the Agincourt? (Didn't realize until Alice what's her name that the game tracked crew past the officers.)

Alice is an officer, just an unclaimed one. She should now become an honorary character, given her efforts. As far as I know, below the officer ranks the crew just tracks total numbers of crew, normally about a thousand per ship (8 or so for a fighter). I don't know if you can take casualties to this unless the whole ship blows up.

What kind of ships are Bandit 2 and 3?

Right now, I think we can assume Beki is beam ship, with massively powerful power plant for the beam weapons - explains the huge explosion.
Mughal explosion fits more with engine explosion.
Retrating khan is probably a missile-launchers who gets out of the way, or goes to reload.
I should check back to see if Khan retreated after or before the suspected launch of size-1 missile. Because Khan and Mughal are missile-launchers, one class for anti-missile, the other for long-range anti-ship missiles.

I also suspect either Bandits 2 and 3 don't have missiles, or have already launched them and they will hit soon. At 25m km, they're way beyond Prix firing range, from what I can tell of the right against Bandits 1.

That matches my assessment. I believe the retreating ship turned away after all enemy missiles were expended. Assuming that means it was the one to fire them, it's very good news for us.

So after bandit-1 is disposed of, we'll have 3 ships chasing after us, and another one running away. And the 3 are coming after the main fleet, not the rocks. Correct?

It's impossible to say who they are headed for. They are too far away for the angles to be distinguishable. Bandit-1 was close enough that it was easy to tell the difference between a heading aimed at the Rocks and a heading aimed at the Battle Fleet. Not so for the other two Bandits, the two possible headings more-or-less overlap.

What I meant was that since the Prix can't build new ships, only repair them, their replacement build time is infinite. If that's our measure then any amount of losses would be justified by one Prix ship killed. Personally, while willing to lay my life down for the emucrat, I'd hope I was valued a little higher than that :)

I take it the Agincourt gets to make the killing blow? That should cheer up the crew, given that they have parts of their armour completely blown away.

Yes, any six-missile salvos that you see must be from the Agincourt, since all the Destroyers and Light Cruisers have four tubes and the Mine-layers and Fighters have three.

Were there any crew casualties on the Agincourt? (Didn't realize until Alice what's her name that the game tracked crew past the officers.)

No casualties. They have lost a LOT of armor and are open to vacuum along the port side, but have sustained no casualties and no internal damage.

What kind of ships are Bandit 2 and 3?

Genghis and Temujin. we haven't fought either of those types yet, so capabilities unknown.

I don't know if you can take casualties to this unless the whole ship blows up.

Internals usually cause crew casualties.

I started a (learning) game with no Precursors nor Swarm as set up, but I'm thinking of "checking the boxes" later on when I will feel more confident.
How does it work then ?
Will they be created in any system, even the ones I would eventually already discovered and explored ?

They will only appear in any future systems you generate, although it is possible they could travel into the older systems at some point.

Agincourt has fired another six-missile salvo at the last surviving cripple from Bandit-1. Time-to-target about four minutes.

They will only appear in any future systems you generate, although it is possible they could travel into the older systems at some point.

Do Precursors jump, then? I have never seen that happen.

Do we have an estimate on when the next group of ships will be in our firing range?

Yes they can. They do not as I understand it survey their systems so they might not be aware of jump points, but they can pinpoint them with their rather good sensors when you (or someone else) jump in or out of their systems.

Had a jumpgate constructor (JGC) killed by the precursors. When I sent the Battle Fleet to retaliate I actually encountered them in the neighboring system close to the jumpgate through which my JGC had entered the Precursor system. The actual battle played out a bit like what you describe here.

The dead scout and the dead fighters have been avenged, take that you damn prixian bastards!

So, you gonna try and take the rest of the prix out in one go?

I don't have any choice. They are more than twice as fast as our Battle-Fleet, and more than four times faster than our Mine-Layers. We cannot reach the jump-point out before they catch us.

Do we have an estimate on when the next group of ships will be in our firing range?

Impossible to say. We are retreating towards the Mine-Layers to 4000 kps, but once we rendezvous we will have to slow the fleet to Mine-Layer speed if we don't want to abandon them to the Prix. They are chasing us at 9715 kps. It looks like they will catch us around the same time that the Mine-Layers are in firing range. That's very good, because they still have full magazines.

Impossible to say. We are retreating towards the Mine-Layers to 4000 kps, but once we rendezvous we will have to slow the fleet to Mine-Layer speed if we don't want to abandon them to the Prix. They are chasing us at 9715 kps. It looks like they will catch us around the same time that the Mine-Layers are in firing range. That's very good, because they still have full magazines.

The minelayers also have a supply of PD missiles we can reload with! So all is not lost! :)

Would be even better if we had some time to transfer those PD missiles resupplies...

The retreating vessel, the 14,300-ton Khan 001, is making directly for the habitable planet Wolf 294 A-II. I think we've figured out where their base is.

The retreating vessel, the 14,300-ton Khan 001, is making directly for the habitable planet Wolf 294 A-II. I think we've figured out where their base is.

Be careful, maybe their base have rockets. If that's posible destroy Khan 001.

Be careful, maybe their base have rockets. If that's posible destroy Khan 001.

I don't think we plan on attacking it yet. Considering we don't even have the means of occupying the planet by force yet.

Tactical:

G_206_Prix.jpg

TheLoneGunman is correct... we aren't planning to take on their ground-based defenses until we have repaired, re-munitioned, resupplied with Fighters, and organized a Marine Combat Force. We may want to wait for the Drop Ships, too.

My view on Khan 1 is thus:

Let's cautiously ignore it for now. Running after it, or approaching the planet to destroy it, would be unwise.

On the other hand, if it is a missile ship as we suspect, it's likely it will come back to haunt us as we withdraw. In that case we'll need to figure a way to deal with it.

Also, keep in mind that if they give chase close to the jump point, they may be able to pursue us beyond it. In which case setting up an ambush with any relatively intact ships on the other side of the jump point is imperative. (This also means we should get any non-fighting vessel away from that jump point at once)

Khan-1 should be dealt with, but only after we get rid of the remaining 3 cruisers.

Are the minelayers moving towards the fleet or away?

Towards it.

I cannot force Khan to battle if they don't want to fight... not without directly attacking their planet, which we are not currently equipped to do. They are more than twice as fast as us, and they are the only ship that seems willing to run away if we get too close.

Thanks, good to know it !

My understanding is that he was talking about Swarm in this specific case.

Topped up our Cruisers and Destroyers magazines again from the Carriers surplus stocks. We've been firing half-fleet salvos or even single-ship salvos lately, so not many missiles had been used. We just might have enough left to kill those three Bandits. Depends largely on the effectiveness of their Point Defense. The Mine-Layers, of course, still have full magazines, and the Fighters have enough for two or three more strikes... probably more than their reloading-time will allow.

The six-missile salvo from Agincourt is now less than 3 m-km from the last crippled survivor of Bandit-1. Should be arriving on-target in less than a minute.