• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I second. The map is what it is, and I'm sure SolSara has done an excellent job creating it.

For once and for all is too definitive for me :). I'm sure SolSara did a great job, but once the game is released, there will be players from certain regions or with certain favourite dynasties/territories, which would have loved to see certain things. So I suggest to let this discussion rest, until the complete (provisional?) map is known they want to use, before this is known it just remains speculating...

For once and for all is too definitive for me :). I'm sure SolSara did a great job, but once the game is released, there will be players from certain regions or with certain favourite dynasties/territories, which would have loved to see certain things. So I suggest to let this discussion rest, until the complete (provisional?) map is known they want to use, before this is known it just remains speculating...

I was just complementing one of the members of the development team on the expanded map. I am sure that there will be more discussion, but the map is the kind of thing that for CK2 1.0 has to be finalized before a lot of other stuff can be put in. Along with events and character portraits, I predict that the map will be an area where a lot of modding will take place. And of course it can be updated as the EU3 map was with further releases.

I think map discussions should be held in the modding forum .... as we all know, these map discussions tend to be very whiney and nitpicky ... like "why is province X not 4 pixels more to the right, like it was in real life ... bla bla bla".

Problem is that PI are not going to change the map, so people need to stop whining about it. Also it is a game map, and as such not a real representation of actual facts (of which there are precious little from this era), so it is going to be a simplification. Get over it!!

People can then make threads in the mod forum where they can discuss the size of Zadar province over the course of 6 pages, and someone can make a map mod that is going to make them happy.

I just find it "funny" that people have already started bashing the map and provice sizes/borders from the few screenshots and vids posted of a pre-alpha game.

Every thread containing screenshots of the map will end up being cluttered with comments about how Sweden looks all wrong, or that the name of some middle eastern province should be different.

I think map discussions should be held in the modding forum .... as we all know, these map discussions tend to be very whiney and nitpicky ...1 like "why is province X not 4 pixels more to the right, like it was in real life ... bla bla bla".

2Problem is that PI are not going to change the map, so people need to stop whining about it. 2Also it is a game map, and as such not a real representation of actual facts (of which there are precious little from this era), so it is going to be a simplification. Get over it!!

3 People can then make threads in the mod forum where they can discuss the size of Zadar province over the course of 6 pages, and someone can make a map mod that is going to make them happy.

3 I just find it "funny" that people have already started bashing the map and provice sizes/borders from the few screenshots and vids posted of a pre-alpha game.

4 Every thread containing screenshots of the map will end up being cluttered with comments about how Sweden looks all wrong, or that the name of some middle eastern province should be different.

1 Your exaggerating , sometimes these differences could matter.

2 People comment about the map, because it is a mapgame. Furthermore this could totally misrepresent an era or area.

3 It's a bit fast, but not funny; often they have real concerns.

4 This can be useful...

I was the one who made the map with all the provinces or counties as we call them now. NONE of the old provinces have been removed.

Okay, then I must be mistaken, it's hard to tell from the videos, but I thought two or three were missing at least in the areas around Flanders...

ck29.jpg

Political map. Awesome.

:eek:

Nice map! :D

Wow! The political map looks great! I kind of wish the whole thing wasn't revealed from the beginning, though. The High King of Ireland should not necessarily know where Basra is in 1066.

He probably wouldn't, but he probably would have been able to find it out if it became relevant for him. Already Charlemagne and the Abbasid Caliph sent envoys to each other.

Well, CK2 has orders of magnitude of more starting setup information than EU3, so while dial-a-date isn't viable for CK2, it is for EU3. EU3 only needs to know which countries which provinces belong to which years, when there are wars, and when each country reaches each tech level (which probably is hand-wavedly standardized within tech groups anyway). Compare that to CK2, which would need a list of rulers (with relevant stats and traits) for every province, plus enough relatives for each to make every possible starting date reasonably playable. If dial-a-date is in CK2, I will lament all the other content which they didn't have time to put in because of it.

I thought Paradox said it was way too much work in EU3 and they probably wouldn't be doing it again?

Or am I misreading this as being the same as EU3's dial a date system?

That's what I thought as well, there will be some scenarios to choose from, but, and correct me if I'm wrong, no dial a date system.

I thought Paradox said it was way too much work in EU3 and they probably wouldn't be doing it again?

Or am I misreading this as being the same as EU3's dial a date system?

I assumed the same initially, and the interview isn't confirming what the final game would be like, but if you look at 0:24 in the video there are the same buttons for choosing a start date as in EU3. Might just be a placeholder though it would certainly be awesome if it isn't (and an unexpectedly large amount of work on Paradox's behalf).

I assumed the same initially, and the interview isn't confirming what the final game would be like, but if you look at 0:24 in the video there are the same buttons for choosing a start date as in EU3. Might just be a placeholder though it would certainly be awesome if it isn't (and an unexpectedly large amount of work on Paradox's behalf).

I concur. I wouldn't mind if they spend their resources differently, though that's of course a very personal view. :)