• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The Emperor has no heir and the rising power in the forbidden city are the Eunuchs. Are they really who he should be turning to for advice?

Liked the peacock-sheep image. Very Herodotus.

Sounds like some fun is being had. I mean, the rudeness of some soldiers just blundering around the tourist beaches! :D

Having just gotten DW finding this very interesting.

this explains why Hongxi is too embarrased to have me over for the New Year party, he clearly hasn't been eating the peaches I send him ... I think he needs some maternal advice on what to do and when ...

<Shudders>

Given the Queen Mother's track record, I fear that Hongxi will actively seek to join the Eunuchs after her 'instruction'...

By the way, stnylan, good to see you! Hope life is treating you well!

The Emperor has no heir and the rising power in the forbidden city are the Eunuchs. Are they really who he should be turning to for advice?

Liked the peacock-sheep image. Very Herodotus.

The Eunuchs are probably not the natural solution to his lack of an heir ... In the next update she's teaching her peacocks to swim - this distresses the locals

Sounds like some fun is being had. I mean, the rudeness of some soldiers just blundering around the tourist beaches! :D

Having just gotten DW finding this very interesting.

Good to see you back on the forums. I'm finding it quite intriguing. Its a bit like playing an entire game in a Regency Council, all these opportunities occur that you can't take advantage of, but its frustrating in a very engaging way.

<Shudders>

Given the Queen Mother's track record, I fear that Hongxi will actively seek to join the Eunuchs after her 'instruction'...

By the way, stnylan, good to see you! Hope life is treating you well!

She carries on with her 'mission to educate', he carries failing to produce an heir ... it doesn't occur to her that the two events may be related

1417-1421, Hongxi stays in hiding, the Queen Mother is all at sea

13 November 1417

Went to wedding, well I got ready to go to the Wedding ... obviously Hongxi is too embarrased after our little talk about his 'problem'. I think he is trying to hide from me.

Really what do you expect from a man who favours Eunuchs and Bureaucrats?

25 January 1418

I do feel slightly put out ... I mean by now they know where I live

and just look at all the beaches I am now banned from

28 May 1418

Have been trying to teach the peacocks to swim ...

28 August 1418

I could have told them that ... continue sea trials of the peacocks

4 January 1419

Have started looking for this Hidden City ... obviously it was not in Fuzhou

As always, they rather overact

(H – Hidden? Ah the daft bat means Forbidden ... I do wonder what Hongxi has to hide? Could be a good time to visit)

27 February 1419

No, its not in Haixi either ... usual screaming peasants though, have they never before seen a giant peach?

8 July 1419

He really does have something to hide ... I have sent him a letter reassuring him that size isn't everything

(H – despite myself, I am actually impressed, she has the hide of a very thick Rhino, if she's not yet worked out just who they are trying to Forbid)

3 February 1420

I have to leave my winter sun holiday after a small dispute about an unpaid restaurant bill

19 February 1420

On way back pop in to see some old friends in Macao ... place really was a mess when I left the next morning.

(H – lets check, hotel room trashed, bar bills unpaid, peach stones everywhere ... yep just a normal overnight stay for our heroine)

29 November 1420

He's still not eating his peaches ... I think he needs further maternal guidance, he also needs to get out and make some friends like I do. Stuck in that palace all day, no wonder he's not popular.

27 July 1421

Somehow I really doubt that more bureaucrats are what he needs

30 December 1421

Since I am not invited to the New Year Party I decide I have to entertain myself

(H – I'm warming to the old gal)

But this seems to have excited the Eunuchs

Last edited:
Haha! Very funny update! The Queen is a wee bit scrambled in the head, methinks!

Her obtuseness is only matched by her obstinacy. I shudder to think of what will happen when she becomes enlightened!

Hmm, with the peacock experiments on sheep and swimming, I think we can add "mad scientist" to her resume...

Haha! Very funny update! The Queen is a wee bit scrambled in the head, methinks!

See immortality sends you bonkers?

Well... The Queen Mum is getting testy, and she's taking it out on the peasantry - or whoever else gets in her way. I wonder what she'll do once the full realization of her unwantedness dawns...

I don't think that will ever dawn on her ... but in the next update she tries to be helpful and has problems with some peach theiving to keep her occupied

Her obtuseness is only matched by her obstinacy. I shudder to think of what will happen when she becomes enlightened!

I think we can lay aside self-awareness ever becoming part of her character, whereas her editor is fully aware of what he's up to ...

Hmm, with the peacock experiments on sheep and swimming, I think we can add "mad scientist" to her resume...

next update includes the lost of a seal .., her attempts to master the nautical world continue, but so far without much success

1422-1427, Hongxi has some help

31 March 1422

Ah thats where it escaped to ... I'll have to send Hongxi some more peaches to ask for it to be returned

[she's breeding seals now? ... suppose its better than trying to cross peacocks with sheep]

18 April 1422

Went on to visit some relatives in Fuzhou, they really need to keep these seaside towns a lot cleaner if they want seasoned travellers like to me to stay on a regular basis

28 August 1422

Well that does explain the lack of an heir, though I do feel sorry for the poor sheep.

I have sent Hongxi a very special peach and a long letter trying to explain things

13 December 1422

Not that they invited me in any case, ... anyway, in case they asked I need to stress that I was on my usual winter sun holiday

3 April 1424

I am suspicious ... this sounds like they want to keep somone out, just why do they need so many Constables?

(H – mmmh, why indeed)

5 September 1424

These people will do anything to grab my peaches – I'll deal with them later

It seems that Hongxi is trying to over-compensate for all the rumours, I mean why else does he need a bigger army?

26 August 1425

Have captured the worst of the peach-thiefs ...

slider change

Well I could have told them that was a bad idea, I mean who wants more Eunuchs?

7 November 1425

Obviously this bunch of losers

4 December 1427

Harold has just left. It appears as if he has been a guest in the Forbidden City since March while I have yet to find out where it is .... this is so unfair

but it does seem as if the peach juice finally did the trick

(H – if you say so ... ah this brings back memories of the old days ... lets see if the boy takes after his father ...)

The event text says "The Succession is Safe". Personally, I have my doubts :D

Okay, that heir is just a little bit suspicious right now. :D

Loved your interpretation of "Jade Seal".

At least the bureaucrats are useful now that you're discovering techs that allow buildings.

Erm, Harry's taking a more hands-on approach in shaping the narrative (yes, I realize 'hands-on' is not entirely anatomatically accurate, but - ew - certain things need to remain unsaid).

Having an heir might be preferable to a disputed succession, though in this particular instance I'm not yet convinced.

PS: What's the Chinese equivalent of 'Damien'?

The event text says "The Succession is Safe". Personally, I have my doubts :D

very wise doubts, the period after the next post is pure chaos with factions shifting on an almost monthly basis

Okay, that heir is just a little bit suspicious right now. :D

Loved your interpretation of "Jade Seal".

At least the bureaucrats are useful now that you're discovering techs that allow buildings.

I think you have to accept that you'll play most of the game with them in power and adapt around that. But yes it is useful if you're stuck with them to actually be able to build something, especially as, most of the time, I'm pretty cash rich.

Erm, Harry's taking a more hands-on approach in shaping the narrative (yes, I realize 'hands-on' is not entirely anatomatically accurate, but - ew - certain things need to remain unsaid).

Having an heir might be preferable to a disputed succession, though in this particular instance I'm not yet convinced.

PS: What's the Chinese equivalent of 'Damien'?

did the Ming understand the concept of a tricycle? Well at the time I was glad to get an heir as the penalties for loss of the Mandate of Heaven are pretty awful. On the other hand (post after next), the period of his regency council in particular is a bit awful - the one faction you really do not want in power during a Regency Council is the Temple mob.

1428-1434, Hongxi briefly expands and then expires

4 April 1428 [1]

Continue sea trials of the new acquatic peacocks. Not a success. Start to wonder if swans would be a better idea?

3 June 1428

Them and whose army?

Ah that army

3 September 1428

Hongxi again ignores my advice

30 June 1429

ah, such memories, in my youth we used to have such wild parties there

(H – I really don't want to know ... anyway just when were you young?)

12 July 1429

See what happens when you get into wars against my advice

(H – yes, they gain land and prestige ... your point is?)

and if Harry is reading this my complaint is, yet again, its in the wrong direction

3 December 1429

Pah who cares, everyone knows that peaches are the only fruit [2]

1 September 1430

Nah not possible, every time he meets me the man is reduced to a stuttering gibbering idiot, especially when I try to discuss his sex life.

3 January 1432

If I actually understood this, I think I wouldn't agree, but I don't think it will lead to nice things hapening

(H – ach don't worry, it doesn't affect peach producers)

4 February 1432

said so

8 September 1432

Yep, don't mess with the peacocks

(H – even I find that image a bit disturbing, in any case I was just having a little fun, keeping my hand in ... one loses ones touch so easily otherwise)

24 August 1434

Oh the poor little mite, he needs his grandmother, I'm on my way to help

(H – oi, thats my boy, I'd better get over there and make sure he's ok)

[1] - from now on, unless there is a good reason, I'll skip the inevitable sequence of 'horde declares war', a few battles take place, I siege enough provinces to get the 5 prestige peace deal, sequence. With the smaller hordes this is now just a 5 yearly gift of prestige and only the Khazaks force me to even properly mobilise the army. Never fear in the 1470s things get a bit more interesting with the hordes.

[2] - ever since this started with a focus on peaches, I've been rather keen to slip that line in.

Last edited:
Always got to protect the peaches! What would China be without them and the acquatic peacocks?

These people will do anything to grab my peaches

Bravo! This line had me in stitches.

Good to see the Queen Mother continuing to sow discord wherever she goes, leaving things in a peacock feathers and peach stone covered mess. I've especially liked her attempts to cross-breed the peaches, they seem to be turning into cracking pirates as a result. I do now fear for the poor young Emperor, both Harry and the Queen Mother rushing to give him aid. I get the feeling this could all turn...uhm...peach shaped. Although strangely enough, I do think Harry would be the better person (or demon in this case), to help out the poor boy. Which does rather say a lot about the Queen Mother.