• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Homosexual soldiers FTW? :p

I hate a small part of what you're doing here. It's just like Call of Duty. Everything is awesome, everyone is very colourfull and cool. But we don't get even one glimpse of the main hero! I want to know who I'm cheering on damn it. :p

***** beat*
Now I realise how that sounded, but no, that is not what I meant. Rather that due to the rank difference, it's unlikely he would be greeting every little private with the dinner. Maybe he would host a collective dinner of the entire platoon, so he can meet the others, and start the camaderie, but not more than that.

And no resurecting godless communism.
Panslavism is the way.

Staryeshina Romov led me to the steaming pot by the fire as the men huddled around it, turned to look at us. “Tulip Bulb and Onion soup, it might not be fine dining, but ... well look around. We’re better off than most of the other units here.” He said, drawing the ladle from the pot and pouring a brown liquid into a bowl, tulip bulbs bobbing as he added another measure of the soup.

“This is onion soup?” I asked him, remembering my days in France.

“A more apt name is Crap.” said one of the men by the fire, licking his lips as he returned his wooden spoon to his bowl. “If I wasn’t starving to death, I would make an official complaint to the Lieutenant.”

“I’m sure he would listen, as he always does, Konev.” Romov said.

“Oh, getting him to listen isn’t the problem. It’s getting him to stop yelling and shut up afterwords that is.” He said in between another mouthful. The others alongside him chuckled a bit, before one gestured to the other and they walked off.

“Comrade Tataryn, this is Ivan Konev.” Romov said. I hadn’t noticed it before, but as the man looked up at me, I saw a beard covering the lower half of his face, like a wheat field, waiting for the harvest. He had green eyes, a flash of fire visible in them as they caught the sun.

IvanTheMad-1.jpg

Efreitor Ivan Konev.

“Ivan the Terrible?” I asked.

“No, Ivan the Mad.” He said as he finished his mouthful. He regarded me for a moment, as if judging a slab of meat in a market.

“You don’t sound Russian.” I said.

“And neither do you.” Romov added.

“I lived in Germany for most of my life. Only my last few years have been in Russia, and you never quite lose an accent of 43 years.” He said jokingly. “And yourself?” he asked me.

“I’ve spent some time in France.”

“You must have come back then. They don’t extradite with us.” Romov said.

“Like I said Sir, some time.”

“Poor guy. I pity the man who’s lived in France most of his life.”

paris_night_600x450shkl.jpg

Alexei Tataryn had, in fact, spent 19 years in France, much of it in Paris. He is currently 34.

“Did I say most of my life?”

“You didn’t have to.” Romov smiled at the exchange. Perhaps he enjoyed the new company, or just the thought that he wasn’t alone with Ivan anymore.

“Well, Alexei. I wouldn’t get too comfortable here.” Romov began.

“Now there’s a challenge.” Ivan said, without a glance of notice from the Staryeshina.

“We leave in several days. Our first mission together.” Romov continued, smiling ever so slightly.

“Oh it’ll be great. Just don’t get killed like the last guy.” Ivan said, looking lost in thought.

“The last couple of guys.” He corrected himself.

I had only just arrived. I had only just met my Staryeshina, and the only other member of my squad. I had only just begun to serve my sentence. Already, it seemed, the 255th was eager to dispose of me, and yet I couldn’t help but wonder, where?

Comrade... hmmm... :D

Still, great writing!

COMRADE Tataryn? Now I'm VERY interested... :D

It's a relic from USSR era. The Staryeshina is Soviet trained and still uses their form of adress. You could probably more easily take his head off than change what was drilled into him in the boot camp.
Also, I think modern Federate forcess still use the term.

I say, go communist! Ressurect the glorious union!

We shall see where this goes.

***** beat*
Now I realise how that sounded, but no, that is not what I meant. Rather that due to the rank difference, it's unlikely he would be greeting every little private with the dinner. Maybe he would host a collective dinner of the entire platoon, so he can meet the others, and start the camaderie, but not more than that.

And no resurecting godless communism.
Panslavism is the way.

The 255th is largely an informal brigade, hardly as strict or orderly as a regular force and with many of its members simply convicts serving a sentence in the brigade rather than a prison, albeit a much more dangerous one. Romov himself has taken on the task of personally knowing each member of his squad - partially to try and ease their concern, and partly because he knows that they need each other if they want to survive. Remember, the new recruits, and even many of its surviving members, are not very well trained, and not very well prepared for what is going to be occur.

As for godless communism, we shall see where this goes. ;)

COMRADE Tataryn? Now I'm VERY interested... :D

As stated by 4th Dimension, it is a relic of the times. "The Staryeshina is Soviet trained and still uses their form of address. You could probably more easily take his head off than change what was drilled into him in the boot camp."

I'm gonna guess that they're going to either Iraq or Tajikistan. No apparent reasoning to my latter choice.

Interesting choices. Both incorrect however. ;)

Comrade... hmmm... :D

Still, great writing!

Again, as 4th Dimension stated, it's a relic of the times.

It's a relic from USSR era. The Staryeshina is Soviet trained and still uses their form of adress. You could probably more easily take his head off than change what was drilled into him in the boot camp.
Also, I think modern Federate forcess still use the term.

From what I can find, it is still common in the Armed Forces to use the term - and I can certainly imagine that many of the older population will still use it, if only out of habit.

Excellent updates. I like the teasers about Alexei's past (and 'crime').

Content Warning - Suggestive Content

6 Days Ago ...

InvasionofIraq.jpg

The American Invasion of Iraq began on March 23, 2003.

Igor Ivanov pushed opened the door of the Foreign Ministry after another long day, and walked into the dimly light parking lot. The fever that had enveloped the ministry after the Americans launched their invasion of Iraq had tired him to no end. He had conferred with the President of the United Nations, the Foreign Minister of France, the Chancellor of Germany, the American Secretary of State, the Foreign Minister of Britain, and President Putin himself. So many communiqués, in such a short amount of time was enough to tire any man.

Even President Putin showed an unusual weariness by the day’s end. Still, he needed to sleep, and nothing would stop him from getting it. His brisk walk carried him quickly to his car, and by the time he had reached it, he was still fumbling with his keys.

“Igor Ivanov?” came a voice from behind him.

“Yes?” he asked turning around. Before him stood a figure dressed all in black. No words or symbols were on the hooded sweater the figure wore, and he could hardly discern the face, hidden as it was by a balaclava.

“Your sacrifice for the state is appreciated.”

He had no time to react. No time to call for help, nor to assault the figure. He was on the ground, a pool of blood forming around him before he could form a coherent thought.

DeathoftheForeignMinister.jpg

Igor Ivanov was found dead outside the Russian Foreign Ministry soon after his death. The security attache, delayed for several minutes within the building, resigned within several days.

4 Days Ago ...

"Mr. President, the new Foreign Minister is here to see you." said the secretary as she held open the large oak door.

"Thank you Irina, send her in." President Putin said, glancing at the young secretary as she turned to welcome the Foreign Minister. He still couldn't believe he had agreed to it. A woman in his cabinet? He could hardly contemplate such a thing.

If she had not been vouched for by the Duma for the vigor with which she pursued her goals, for her opposition to his own campaign nonetheless, he would have brushed her aside. Besides, as they had argued, it would help to quiet feminist activists for a while and gain him some support, not that he was lacking.

He turned for one more look at his papers, a folder with the large black words, Operation Scarlet : For Cabinet Eyes Only, and reviewed the map of Northern Iraq. The markings arrayed across it betrayed its sublime name. Turning to the last page of the file, he signed off on the operation and closed the folder as the click of heeled shoes on the dark wooden floor filled his office.

He pulled another file from his desk, the Oath of Allegiance to the Russian State and laid it before him. It was then that the woman in the door took his notice. She walked in with a quiet confidence that fell upon the room. Without hesitation, he looked up at her eyes.

As a politician, he had come accustomed to looking at things, without actually looking at them. Normally, it meant just looking at the name tag on a reporter, or looking at the name of a serviceman as he shook their hand, but not today. Though he seeing her brown eyes, he was looking her up and down.

Her skin was darker than that of most Russian women he had met. Her hair too, was of a deeper brown like her eyes. Her suit was tight fitting, and showed her curved figure, and firm chest.

"President Putin, I know I have been critical of your policies, but I assure you that I will serve you, as Foreign Minister, to my utmost capacity." she said.

"Please, Miss Gaidar, sit down." Putin said, gesturing to the chair across from him. She glanced at the seat before pulling it out and sitting, crossing her legs and straightening her back.

"There is something we must deal with" Putin said, rising from his seat and walking around the desk. Maria tilted her head and gave a wry smile.

MariaGaidar.jpg

This is in fact an image of the real Maria Gaidar, used to uphold the image of the Minister in the MDS Mod. Other than the likeness and name, this character is entirely fictional and any other similarities are coincidental (though she was very much in opposition to Vladimir Putin's 2008 Presidential Campaign.)

"This is merely a formality, but you must sign a document proclaiming your unquestionable loyalty to the Russian Federation." he said, pulling the paper closer to her.

"To the Russian Federation, or to your Cabinet?" she asked, her eyes judging his response as much as her ears.

"You are a keen politician Maria, but this is to the Federation. There will be those who will succeed me, and they too shall require your loyalty and ... discretion." he said, trailing as he finished.

Again she smiled, to what he could not imagine. Still she drew a pen and leaned forward to sign the document. From his position beside her, he caught a glimpse of the side of a breast through her low cut shirt but quickly tore his gaze away. He was a married man, why would such things interest him?

"There we are." Maria said, looking up at him. She handed the paper to him, and he could see the signature without a glance.

"I look forward to working with you, Mr. President." She said.

"And I, you." Putin responded, shaking her hand as she left.

DidRussiaRebound.jpg

Having kept some of its economic policies that had remained positive from the Soviet Union, specifically those in the Arms Industry, and retailing some of those in the manufacturing industry, Russia was in control of a much stronger industrial base than she would have, had she pursued a total "Shock Therapy" of her economy.

Through a stronger economy, Russia has also managed to play a larger role in World Policy throughout the 90s, and is experiencing a resurgence of influence in the 21st century.

Excellent updates. I like the teasers about Alexei's past (and 'crime').

Thanks! We will find out more about it as the story progresses. ;)

I like the ongoing ambiguity about Alexei's status - "I've only begun to serve my sentence" could be read in rather different ways.

Thanks! But would you elaborate on to how many ways it could be read? I'm not sure I follow ...

I'm gonna propose a wild theory and say the 255th will go on a "field trip" in Iraq.

That has been suspected by another, and confirmed false.

great stuff, nice and murky, but I'm making no guesses where Putin is sending the 255th

Thanks! But where's the fun in that? :p

I love this quote. Its the anti-thesis of my approach to life.

lol :p

Expect an update today.

2 Days Ago ...

“Maria Gaidar has attained the position of Foreign Minister. Those Duma members we bribed to push it through are still none the wiser as to why we did it.” All the men in the room were arrayed around the phone emanating the voice, listening intently, as if it was the voice of God himself.

The room was quiet besides the voice and only one would answer it.

“Good. Let them stay in the dark. No one in the world will know what it has started.” Came the booming voice of the man in the large, dark chair. It all looked surprisingly fitting for him. He was not young, nor of heavy build like many of the kings of history, but the chair was his castle, and the room, his domain.

“I’m not even sure that we know what it has started.” The phone responded.

“We know enough of what it has done, but the future is in God’s hands.” The voice said, as the universal ruckus of hanging up a phone filled the room.

Present Day, Camp Suvorov ...

Yemenitis.jpg

Maria Gaidars rise to Foreign Minister signalled a new era of Russian Foreign Policy. A Foreign Policy aimed at undermining American strength, and to a lesser extent that of China, where ever possible.

“We’re going to Yemen?” I asked. “What the hell for?”

“The usual. To promote stability, peace, and completely incorruptible democratic regimes led by moderate sectarian Arab who’s only desire is to improve his people’s lives.” Ivan said, a cigarette in his hand. “Oh, scratch that, I thought we were Americans going into Iraq for a second.” He added with a shudder.

“None of that for the Kremlin. They are rather, matter of fact these days.” Romov said, taking the pack of cigarettes from beside Ivan.

“That’ll kill you if you keep it up.” I said, dropping my pack onto the tree stump beside me, and propping my rifle up against it. The two men in front of me looked at each and then burst into a fit of laughter.

“ ‘That’ll kill you’ he says! Ha!” howled Ivan. Even Romov was creased up with it, and I hadn’t taken him for the sort to laugh a great deal at anything.

“Look around you, Tataryn.” Romov began, recovering faster than Ivan, who was still gasping for air. “We live in hell, and are patrolled by demons, commanded by the devil in his throne!” he said, gesturing to the concrete structure, looming ominously in the distance.

IMG_0996.jpg

The "House of Iron" could be seen from almost every part of the camp, and surely, could see all of it.

“The only respite from this place is being thrown against other men, armed to the teeth and, eager to kill you. What kind of life is that?” he added.

“Every man in this Brigade is condemned to death. No one leaves the 255th. Why not speed up the release a bit? Assuming you’re unlucky enough to actually survive as long as Romov has, a bit of cancer is all you can ask for!” Ivan said, taking in a deep breath of smoke, before gently exhaling.

“You want my advice? Smoke enough to get out fast.” Romov said. Ivan took the packet from the Staryeshina and gestured to me to take it. I must have looked at it with some disgusting look on my face for he persisted.

“Go on take one.” He said, gesturing again.

“I don’t smoke, and I’m not about to start.” I said again. I couldn’t help but think to myself how much I sounded like a schoolyard kid in Paris, deviating from his friends. What was it they called it? Peer pressure? Seemed so childish and yet here it was, in this of all places.

“Come on.” Ivan said again, now impatient. “I’m not going to offer it all day.”

“That’s enough Ivan. He’s made his choice. Let him live with the consequences.” Romov said. I thought for a second that I caught a glimpse of admiration in his eyes. Something that I was certain they had not known for many years.

“That is assuming he gets passed Yemen.” Ivan said.

OOC : Sorry about the lack of an update yesterday. I found a hilarious AAR that distracted me from writing the update.

I am also looking for opinions / approval on whether or not it would be acceptable for me to lessen the production time for most or all of the units in MDS to allow both increased production and larger armies for game play and story purposes.

Also, I have written a total of 43 events for this AAR to date :p

I'm enjoying this AAR. What has Alexei done, or not done?

For outstanding achievement in the bafflement of this readAAR, I award you the Order of the Large and Intimidating Robert. You may now be referred to as TemplarComander OLIR. :D

Is Russian influence in Yemen actually also in RL? As far as I remember they are quite on the american side or?

no, the old South Yemen was pro-Soviet and the North pro-US (or the other way around, I now forget), there was a brief civil war in the early 90s that saw the collapse of the pro-USSR regime

yet another impressive update

going back to my early comment about ambiguity. I think I now have grasped that he has been sentenced for some crime or the other (real or imagined) but was a bit unsure. You could refer to anything that is onerous and long term as a sentence, not necessarily a legal thing. So a period as a conscript could be described as a sentence.

It's good to see that even though Alexei has been sentenced (?), he still doesn't smoke :D

Also, to answer your question, if it makes for a better AAR read, then by all means, go for it.