• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
:/ Hope we get through a few before it is time to leave

Because teasing is so much fun:

Alptraum
An Alternative History Affair
By TekcoR

209 Roses

“Thank you Rhiley,” I said at the entrance to the most quiet and least disturbed place of the town. I softly took the package from his extended hands and smiled. He knew what was contained within the paper wrapped package. While I was busy attending to more pressing matters within the city of Berlin, I had dispatched my nephew to find me a certain type of flower in an exact quantity. He had mentioned that it took quite a gargantuan effort to find the exact amount I had specified; and had set us back quite a few thousand Reichsmarks.

Rhiley nodded and began to move away from me after I had secured the package. He came to a resting place a few feet away from where we had exchanged the package, and laid his back against the tree and began to stare off over yonder. I remember the idealistic stare that quickly overcame his face. There was not a care in the world that could bother him at this time. I had known those moments during my teenager years; but those were quickly shattered during the autumn of 1918. I had lost my idealistic innocence in the forests. Somehow, through these years, Rhiley had maintained that state we all dreamt of.

I had stared at my nephew for what felt like an eternity, nostalgia has a powerful effect. I don’t know how Rhiley has been able to maintain his idealistic, almost boyish look on life. He is similar to his cousins, Philipp and Sebastian; yet they have not witnessed what he has seen. I guess perhaps, what he has witnessed is different. I have killed several men, and had those comrades dearest to me die within my grasps. It changes a person. From my knowledge, none of the boys have had to go through the realities of war as countless others have. Perhaps this can be blamed partially on Josef and I. We have strived to keep our offspring safe from harm while countless others sons were either dead, wounded or captured on the battlefields. I…wish it had been different.

Returning to reality, away from the innocence of the youth, I began to stroll down the neat rows of the graveyard to a simple but eloquent marker that read Elijah and Eva Schnack. My father was an amazing person, being born on April 12th, 1865 – a challenging time for the nation of Prussia. By the time of my mother’s birth on April 18th, 1868, Prussia had greatly increased its influence in the German states, annexing numerous states. I knelt down in front of the grave and began to weep. I wish I had been able to attend their funeral. I carefully began to unbind the package; upon completing the task there were four distinct groups of red roses. I looked blankly at the roses, unable to remember the order I had requested them in.

I cocked my head to the right, to look back at Rhiley. I had instructed him on the ordering and placement of the bundled roses, yet… “The one of the farthest left is for papa,” said a voice that emanated from my rear.

I turned my head further to the right and saw from the corner of my eye a familiar looking figure. I nodded and returned my eyes attention to placing the flowers. I carefully placed the 78 roses, one for each year of my father’s life under his name on the marker. I began to reach for the next bundle of roses that tallied 75.

“Her roses look prettier,” said the voice. I couldn’t help but put a cheerful smile on my face. He always had a way of lifting my mood regardless of the circumstance. I completed the placement of the second bundle under my mother’s name and stood there giving a brief prayer for both my parents.

I remained kneeled for a minute after the end of the prayer, and walked five steps down from my parents’ grave. “Anton Bernard Schnack, January 14th, 1890 to November 8th, 1918,” I read in my mind while I began to kneel in front of his grave. “I miss you brother. I could only wish you could see the actions I have and will continue to strive to achieve for the people we all serve. I wish that for your services,” I finished saying while placing 28 roses underneath his name.

I completed a different prayer for my brother and went to the next grave that was two rows down and five graves to the right of my eldest brothers. “Bernice Bopp,” I said, unable to read the dates marking her birth and death, they had been vandalized every time the marker had been replaced. “To my sister’s sister, your name shall soon be avenged,” I said as I placed the remaining 28 roses underneath her name.

I got up from her grave after two minutes of reflection on the tragedy that had ensued a decade beforehand. I about faced and in front of me the source of the voice had followed me through my entire route. “I am proud of what you have become. The disguise you wear suits your nature. Complete the task, restore honor to the people,” the voice said fading away, and before completely dissipating both physically and mentally.

“I will for you. I will for mother. I will Anton. I will for Bernice. I will for the countless others.”

Last edited:
Dammit. Tristian is losing the plot. Hearing voices cannot be good for you.

I both enjoy and loathe the cliffhangers you leave us with. Well done

Dammit. Tristian is losing the plot. Hearing voices cannot be good for you.

I both enjoy and loathe the cliffhangers you leave us with. Well done

Or is he? Who is the "voice"? Once you know, it makes sense!

Oh I know. I bet his brother snuck up to talk privately then has stealthed off somewhere else

I wonder about those dates that were vandalized. Wiemar related, I would think.

Hints of Tristan's darker past, I wonder what horrors still lurk in the darkness, waiting to pounce upon us. He has a lot of demons to combat, but there's still another, greater demon right in here in the real world he must defeat. I hope he doesn't lose focus.

Damm this AAR is good. Keeps me on the edge of my seat. I think it is his departed father talking to him......but what do I know. And I hope at the dinner that he has the imbecile Mayor arrested and declared a traitor to the state......for theft of goods / services or whatever. Cant wait.......

Oh I know. I bet his brother snuck up to talk privately then has stealthed off somewhere else

Read below, it is revealed who it is.

I wonder about those dates that were vandalized. Wiemar related, I would think.

Good thinking, close. It should be revealed within the next future installments why. It will make a lot more sense why those dates keep getting vandalized.

Hints of Tristan's darker past, I wonder what horrors still lurk in the darkness, waiting to pounce upon us. He has a lot of demons to combat, but there's still another, greater demon right in here in the real world he must defeat. I hope he doesn't lose focus.

Exactly! There are horrors that still lurk within Tristan's past, and those make for a great story.

Damm this AAR is good. Keeps me on the edge of my seat. I think it is his departed father talking to him......but what do I know. And I hope at the dinner that he has the imbecile Mayor arrested and declared a traitor to the state......for theft of goods / services or whatever. Cant wait.......

You are right - it is his departed father talking to him. I like your thinking of the mayor, and you may be right, hehe.

There has been some change in the next few installments (mostly titles of them). There are four more planned installments that will conclude Tristan's trip home.

After the completion of the next installments I should be able to unveil my special own "going away Nightmare edition" gift.

I kind of miss frontline updates though, like the one when you recaptured Danzing from the Soviets or defended France. Something closer related to war itself. However, such is the charm of such AAR's - you make it come alive, but there is a price for it. As is with always.

talking to a departed father? a Shakespearian classic. Love it.

I kind of miss frontline updates though, like the one when you recaptured Danzing from the Soviets or defended France. Something closer related to war itself. However, such is the charm of such AAR's - you make it come alive, but there is a price for it. As is with always.

Thanks. The frontline installments are fun; yet war is just not about the frontline action. There is a balance and there are some more "war action" installments soon (after I return from training, etc).

talking to a departed father? a Shakespearian classic. Love it.

Thanks!

Alptraum
An Alternative History Affair
By TekcoR

Guests of Honor

Two hours had passed since the ceremony of respect and honor at the graveyard outside of Norddeich. I had casually dismissed Rhiley and notified him to meet relay the message that I would arrive at the house by six in the evening. After his dismissal I casually strolled to the through the marvelous country side wondering about life’s intricacies. Life has a magnitude of facts, ranging from minute trivial to profound life changing events. Facts can be altered. I have been privileged to many facts of different views; one that is of most interest to me is the American and British’s belief of Hitler’s military service. I had gotten into a heated debate with the captive Grant, who professed that Hitler had risen to the rank of corporal. What the prisoners do not understand is that he rose to the rank of Gefreiter; which while a low rank within the Imperial Army was given a handful of responsibilities similar to a corporal. The technical detail is what makes facts and history interesting.

Exactly nine minutes before six in the evening, I approached the cottage that Christina and I had inherited from my father. Though comparatively small to the castles my predecessor had sought residence in; I had serious vested interest in this dwelling. It was not well furnished with paintings prominent members, there were no bear rugs, no marble or granite flooring, there were no pedestals for one to bask in their own ego. Our cottage did not span the width of small towns; from side to side it was a mere eight meters wide by a length of twenty meters long, and two stories in height. My grandfather, father, brothers, my children and I were raised in this house. History is what matters. The mansions of the party officials lack this key attribute.

The yard had been well kept; Christina is an avid gardener and had categorized every part of the yard for the most decorative effect. The flowers of all colors mixed well with the white-wash walls and the brown roof. There is simply no comparison to the magnificence of ones own castle. Versailles is majestic. Rome is heavenly. Yet, they do not share the same splendor and place in my heart as home. I slowly opened the dark walnut colored wooden door, and was hit by a powerful blast of the smell of fresh bread, roasting chicken and simply the presence of comfort.

The splendid entry, the first room of a dwelling, it speaks volumes about how one keeps their residence. To my immediate right, is a mat that has been as far as I can recollect there before I had left for war a second time. Though numbered in years, the mat dutifully completes its task as it protects the fine flooring from the stomping of footwear and dirt. I slowly bend down and begin unlacing my boots that had been recently polished; after which I placed the boots next to other four pairs of un-dirtied boots.

Once I placed my boots next to those of the Rhiley, Philipp, Sebastian and who I assumed to be Alessandra’s fiancé, I brought myself back to an upright position. Straight ahead, the stairs lead to the second story, where Philipp and Sebastian use to, and Alessandra sleeps. To the left was the living room, with a great many places to sit and watch the fire. We use to spend countless hours in the evening listening to the Führer speak. To the right was the way to the dining room and kitchen. I headed towards the destination; it was the obvious direction as I could hear the murmurs of voices.

As I completed the turn into the dining room, the faces that occupied the room lit up. At the center of the room stood the table that had been expanded to accommodate the guests; a chair remained unoccupied, my traditional place at the table. To the left of my chair sat my beautiful wife, whose brown hair brightened and made the room. To her left sat my daughter Alessandra, who shared similar hair to her mother. Next to Alessandra sat a man who looked about the same age as Philipp and Rhiley. I quickly recollected what Alessandra had described about her fiancé and assumed this was him. To the next of, Heinrich, if I could recall his name, sat the mayor, Klemens.

A seat separated Klemens and my brother Josef, who sat at the far end of the table. The separated seat was occupied by Christopher Bopp, Christina’s sister and the father of Adolf and Erick; who were both across from him sitting down. Directly across from Klemens sat Rhiley; to his left sat Philipp, then Sebastian. The guests had all arrived and had been patiently waiting for me. I did not wish to delay them any longer and steadily walked to my seat at the head of the table.

“I am sorry for my delayed arrival,” I said as I pulled out the chair and sat in it. “I had to attend to some private matters,” causing the gathered party to nod in understanding. “Shall we begin?” Another round of nods occurred.

I would have guessed that Tristans wife would have rushed to his husband instead of remaining seated...

I would have guessed that Tristans wife would have rushed to his husband instead of remaining seated...

Perhaps she needed to maintain her stoicism for now. I'm sure they'll have their moment later.

In the meantime, I wonder what is going to happen to our dearest Mayor.

Perhaps she needed to maintain her stoicism for now. I'm sure they'll have their moment later.

In the meantime, I wonder what is going to happen to our dearest Mayor.

Well Saithis pretty much said here sums up Christiana's reaction. They are at a dinner party with a guest who isn't family. I would say if Klemens (mayor) wasn't there, the reaction would have happened.

Last edited:
Only four planned installments left before break! Are you excited?

In a few days, an exciting event will unfold for "Nightmare"! I can't wait to unveil what has been complied!