• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I trust that she will do a good and honest job as my new steward!

Should it really count as embezzlement if she just took back part of her own dowry? :D

Wow you survived the first war, I never made that far!

:(

Follow his advice: give them all your money. They're just trying to rob you, so let 'em, and they'll leave you around to rob later.

Deamon: Well, the depressing thing is that if she steals all my money, crashes the provinces and annihilates the Nubian economy, she is still the best steward around... My court needs a refill.

Cecasander: The Cyrenaicans are really too far away to be a real problem. If they had made a serious attempt at conquering me, you probably wouldn't be reading this :) Of course, they are only for warm-up!

Llywelyn: Yeah, that's right, they only want the money, really. And who can blame them? The only thing Aswan is good for is being a place where thousands of enemies die in order for us to protect, well... Nevermind.

Joohoo: If you're really in love with the money, you can always use the old cheat of building something expensive, then offering them "all" your money, and when the peace is signed you can cancel the build and get your ducats back. I think it's a bit too gamey, but to each his own! And a better question would be - where won't I expand?

New update coming up! Gather the family, pop the popcorn, comb the kitty!

Last edited:
I've lowered the quality of my music references for this update, to save me some Gayewidth. The fourth post can keep standing hyperbolicsyllabicsesquedalymistically grand though.

In order to truly hate, you must first learn to hate yourself
The journal of Georgios of Dongola, King of Nubia
Part 4

up5bild1.jpg

In honour of my new wife, I have declared it a criminal offence to be female in Nubia. There's no set punishment yet, but I hope they all feel rightfully guilty. Radiya is sent to the church to learn some proper shame.

up5bild5.jpg

The recently gained confidence from the Cyrenaican campaign is quickly squashed by the fact that Egypt is now even more unkillable.

up5bild2.jpg

Not that it matters too much. Ma'al is a rather pleasent fellow, actually. No one has been more adamant in keeping the baqt in both countries, especially free trade and travel in the Fatimid territory for Nubians and religious independence for both countries.

Of course, he'll be even more pleasant without limbs.

up5bild3.jpg

She was pardoned.

up5bild4.jpg

Yet another beautiful, wonderful, new life is brought to the Kingdom of Nubia, in the shape of a totally worthless non-heir. The 20th November is now an official day of mourning and silent prayer in Nubia, in the hopes that I will never have to buy her a birthday present.

up5bild6.jpg

Meanwhile, I build a mine to make Sudan resemble a real province and in the hopes that someone in my family will fall down. Every little helps.

up5bild8.jpg

The fifth of December finally sees another baby boy, and he's.. he's.. greek?? Since when do women actually contribute genes?? My ancient Greek textbooks (translated from Greek to Latin and from Latin to Persian and later to Egyptian hieroglyphs, over to Arabic and once more into Egyptian turned into an abridged Nubian version now updated from hieroglyphs to the new modern Nubian alphabet) mention nothing about this, and since they're obviously infallable, there is clearly something wrong with my wife, not the text.

up5bild9.jpg

February 16 of 1073 sees the first major progress for Nubia. There is finally a crack in the stone wall that is Egypt! The sheik of Jerusalem has declared himself independent and now wages war on the Fatimids! This will be a conflict for the ages, where we in harmony and unity can crush our opponent! The independent states of Nubia and Jerusalem will stand for a thousand years!!!

up5bild10.jpg

Oh.

up5bild11.jpg

It's actually less about letting him into the army, and more about him letting the army come to him. I've seen grown men cry.

up5bild12.jpg

The greek kid? Send him to the guy with the scary beard.

up5bild13.jpg

Ma'ad! My dear friend! Yes, I will gladly stand by you in all your conflicts against the Cyrenaicans and the Turks! This changes everything! Together we will -

up5bild14.jpg

oh for God's sake...​

up5bild13.jpg

up5bild14.jpg

oh for God's sake...​

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

That's hilarious. The Alexandrian Crusade is always the Nubian wet dream, but you had to go and...

:rofl:

Ok, let's see...

- I love the title...
- I love the style...
- I love the Dungola's... ;)

So I must follow this.:D

Also patch 2.1 should be safegame compatible.

Fabulous job!

I've never had a problem as an Orthodox Christian ignoring the fallen and false Bishop of Rome when he calls for a Crusade. I mean, no impact to my Prestige or Piety. And if it's against your ally Egypt, well, I guess you can stab the infidel in the back if necessary. It's all for the glory of God, right? :rolleyes:

Why haven't you voted in the AARland Choice AwAARds? phargle told you to vote, didn't he? Are you disobeying phargle? Don't.

Murmurandus: Glad to have you here! I'm not gonna patch it though, even if the risk of getting a corrupt save file 100 years down the road is minimal, it would be enough to make me bang my head open against a wall. Besides, I've started to love 2.0 again. The CTDs are like big, fist-shaped hugs to the face.

Marco Oliverio: Well, if someone is actually strong and focused enough to break Egypt, their good friends Nubia will most likely make a ligh dessert :(

New update coming up!

I've lowered the quality of my breathing for this update, to save me some deathwidth. The fourth post can keep standing livingifically grand though.

In order to truly hate, you must first learn to hate yourself
The journal of Georgios of Dongola, King of Nubia
Part 5

up6pic1.jpg
up6pic2.jpg

The mighty coalition answering the pope's call for the liberation of Alexandria consists of... two muslim minors. One of which was an Egyptian vassal who managed to be independent for all of 26 days. Impressive.

up6pic3.jpg

With not one single catholic around, all I can do is keep building roads for our complete lack of horses and mines leading down to our complete lack of minerals.

up6pic4.jpg

Fadl, mastering the art of sneaky stabbing, actually got so good that he barely even noticed his knife in his own chest. Luckily, my court is filled with young, energetic replacements!

up6pic5.jpg

Oh.

up6pic6.jpg

When the creepy beard guy asked if I wanted Ioannes to have an internship at the local graveyard, this isn't exactly what I had in mind. But it works for me!

up6pic7.jpg

And yet another migraine sees the light of day.

up6pic11.jpg

Yes, creepy beard guy, former professor at Sand Hill High, goatherder extraordinaire until we actually managed to get some goats and nowadays the nanny famous for managing to kill Ioannes in under a year, there is nothing I want more than to send another kid to you.

Go away.

up6pic12.jpg

Oh wait, you can have this one!

up6pic13.jpg
up6pic14.jpg

Don't get me wrong, sometimes I manage to love my children!

up6pic15.jpg

Oh, wait. No, wait. This is wrong. This is very very wrong. I need to do something responsible like going away for a long vacation and crying myself to sleep.

up6pic16.jpg

Yes! The perfect vacation spot!

up6pic17.jpg

A sheikdom that I can actually reach has declared itself independent from the Fatimids!

up6pic18.jpg

Egypt is there first, of course, but since Ma'ad is too lazy to come himself, I can use my royal privileges to sneak in front of all the Egyptians, yell "ONCE MORE!" in my most regal voice, duck, wait, and have my men raise our flag while I keep everyone else busy high-fiving me.

up6pic21.jpg

up6pic22.jpg

It involves keeping the Egyptian women busy aswell. And apparently Egyptian trimesters are about five minutes long, which is quite impressive.

up6pic23.jpg

Yes, I'm impressed too that he isn't greek!

up6reservbild.jpg

And Sarqihya falls! To us!

up6pic20.jpg

Nubia has managed to grow for the first time in centuries! It might be a poor, trashed, sandy hellhole of a place but at least it's our poor, trashed, sandy hellhole of a place! We are giants! Nothing can go wrong now!

up6piccrap.jpg

Oh.​

Nonsense. If Egyptians are born in 15 minutes, they probably die of old age in a little over a day. He just needs to keep them distracted for a little while and they'll just expire.

Chapter 2

The Lost Years of Nubia, part 1

Or: No event is so horrible that it can't get worse
A critical examination by Nephthys Moungos, Aswan Sand Hill University
With support from the Faculty of Fugly at Halland's Phargle University

While many sources have disappeared in the 900 years since the First War of Egyptian Incompetence, a great deal has been written about the tumultous time period known as the Lost Years. The name comes from the fact that the main written source for 11th century Nubian politics, the diary of Georgios of Dongola, ended abruptly at this time with the famous words:

"Oh."

But what really happened between the fall of Sarqihya and the Egyptian declaration of war? What events fill the silence between Georgios' faith in the future and his sudden interjection? It has taken us years to collect data from this period, with the help of everyone from archaeologists and historians to fuglistians and fatalisticists. I hope that this text can finally shed some light on these dark years.

up7bild2.jpg

The 16th birthday of Georgios' daughter Radiya is generally regarded as the beginning of the Lost Years. On the same day, she was sent away to be married in the far away land of Sweden.

up7bild3.jpg

Georgios, always looking for a quick buck at the expense of everyone around him, traded her away for 60 ducats without even bothering to check who the groom was. This mistake was common in the 11th century, but Georgios, true to his style, managed to make the worst one in recorded history.

up7bild4.jpg

The groom was a Knýtling.

up7bild1.jpg

As if this wasn't bad enough, this particular Knýtling was the brother of the ugliest man on the planet, Hårik (see Appendix 1 for a rough and partly censored drawing. Reader discretion is strongly adviced). His ugliness was more than a disease, it was a plague brought upon everyone around him. It is said that even fresh air avoided him, so that the whole county of Halland smelled like Swiss cheese. In the early 13th century, Santa Lutgardis was canonized for having gazed upon a drawing of his nose for more than 30 seconds without vomiting blood, losing skin or clawing her eyes out. She was blinded in the process.

up7bild7.jpg
up7bild8.jpg

As word spread, revolts infected the entire country of Nubia. Peasants demanded that Radiya be stoned, quartered and burned to cleanse the of Dongolas from the Hårik taint.

up7bild5.jpg

But there was no one to answer the protesters. Having realised his mistake, Georgios quickly came down with a minor army of diseases, mostly from self-loathing and having actually looked at a drawing of Hårik. Later excavation of his tomb has shed some light on what happened to his body. It seems that his diseases included, but were not limited to, paralysis of the leg, bleeding of the chin, hatred of the kidneys, cancer of the lungs, cancer of the feet, cancer of the scalp and cancer of the cancer.

up7bild6.jpg

Ma'ad al-Mustansir, Georgios' best friend and ally, quickly commited suicide just for having known him. While modern scholars agree that this was the only sane thing to do, the new king of the Fatimids, Amin of Mecca, was filled with nothing but hatred for Nubia, blaming the death of his predecessor on them. And rightly so. The short-lived Egyptian-Nubian alliance was broken and war was declared.

up7bild13.jpg

Defending Nubia fell upon young Al'a'addin, the only one strong enough to bear the shame that his father had brought upon the family. While nominally the marshal of Nubia, he is generally considered the de facto ruler at this point.

up7bild9.jpg

In a bold move of offensive defense, he declared war on the minor sheikdom of Asyut. The plan was to move in, take the province and use it as a bargaining chip in peace talks. Meanwhile, the commanders of the Egyptian army still practiced the Georgios Tactic of running in front of each other screaming "ONCE MORE!", which kept all of the Fatimid army busy in Sarqihya.

up7bild10.jpg

Al'a'addins forces were, however, forced to retreat and pay a humiliating sum to the Sheik of Asyut for peace. He refused to give up the offensive plan, though. He quickly marched on Asyut's weaker neighbour, Quena.

up7bild11.jpg

Just as Quena was about to fall, the armies of Amin took Sarqihya.

up7bild12.jpg

But with the offensive in Quena, and being distracted by the crusade, Amin accepted peace in exchange for the province of Sarqihya. At this point, Nubia was reduced to its former size, and the one good thing Georgios ever did was wasted. But the country was saved, and would endure.​

Last edited:
Beamed: I know I shouldn't post updates this quickly, some of my readAARs (and potential ones) may actually have lives (I've read about those). But I just couldn't help proving you wrong :) It would be sad if people thought that it was already over.

By the way, on the topic of updates, if you, dear readAARs, have any comments on fast/slow updates, or on the content, just feel free to speak up.

Mattabesta: With fire!

Joohoo: Well, I've messed up some of the chronology and trimmed down the updates for comical and dramatical effect, so some of my reasoning was lost. But to explain:

We were allied, had good relations, and Egypt hadn't started one single war since the start of the crusade, even though they had claims all over the place and noone had attacked them. So I thought that it'd be fairly safe to take Sarqihya. Unfortunately Ma'ad died just at the start of the war against Sarqihya, breaking our alliance. I actually considered reloading there, but it had to happen sooner or later. My piece of luck was that when they declared war on me, catholic nations started declaring war on Egypt, which made them hesitant to go further south. So a piece of bad luck, a big piece of luck, some flawed thinking and some timing. Sounds like history to me :p

Last edited:
By the way, on the topic of updates, if you, dear readAARs, have any comments on fast/slow updates, or on the content, just feel free to speak up.
We're good with fast if you are. Depends on how much praise you need to get after every installment. :)

We were allied, had good relations, and Egypt hadn't started one single war since the start of the crusade, even though they had claims all over the place and noone had attacked them. So I thought that it'd be fairly safe to take Sarqihya. Unfortunately Ma'ad died just at the start of the war against Sarqihya, breaking our alliance. I actually considered reloading there, but it had to happen sooner or later. My piece of luck was that when they declared war on me, catholic nations started declaring war on Egypt, which made them hesitant to go further south. So a piece of bad luck, a big piece of luck, some flawed thinking and some timing. Sounds like history to me :p
Yeah.

Here I would've thought it would've been enough to give them all your cash again. Presumably you tried that and the claim + bordering demesne + superior numbers meant they weren't interested.