• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(87106)

Romanorum Imperator Augustus
3 Badges
Nov 11, 2007
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Victoria: Revolutions
Heaven On Earth: Part Two

The History Of The Orthodox Empire

hagiasophia_fl.jpg

unidentified man's letter home said:
I cannot begin to tell you of this wondrous city. This bustling metropolis is filled with people from all over the globe. Merchants fill the streets, selling their precious and exotic goods. Courtesans and diplomats fill the courts, giving homage to the great Emperor. The buildings and splendor are beyond compare. The riches of this mighty capital are unsurpassed. Truly, this is Heaven on Earth!”
Part One

The Hall Of Saints

Table Of Contents

World 1291: Discovery

Andronikos II: Return To The City Of God
World 1332: A Fool's Paradise
Michael IX: Fall
World 1351: Black Death
Andronikos III: On The Pen Of The Emperor
John III: King Of Terrors
World 1391: Death And The Healing
Helena I: Ladders To Sumeria
Helena I: Annihilation Of The Wicked
World 1404: The Return
Manuel III: Egypt
World 1425: Vestige
John IV: The Dnieper Rapids

Last edited:
Author's Note

Author's Note

Hello again, and welcome to Heaven On Earth: Part Two! This part of the AAR will cover the years from 1291 to about 1830. Like the last AAR, it will be a history-book. However, I wish to finish this entire mega-campaign within a reasonable amount of time. So instead of the very in-depth updates of the last part, this AAR will have reign summaries that can range from about 1 to 5 updates. Sorry if this disappoints you, but this part will cover a much larger timespan. In any case, I hope the updates will be the same quality updates. And there will be mood music and glorifications of course. I hope you enjoy reading this as much as I will enjoy writing it!

Thank you!

:) asd

Last edited:
Oh goody, glad to see a continuation of a CK AAR.

Will we be required to read the CK one, as well?

Hopefully, once my hectic life ends, I can keep up with the updates!

It's back! :D I'm really looking forward to this new age and what it depares for the Romans.

Looking forward to the continued ride.:)

Yay! You've made the big leap to EU3 about a year ahead of me! I'm curious to see how the Orthodox recovery against the Mongols continues...

Count me in! Onwards to the 20th century and far beyond!

Count me in.

Thanks for all the comments!

For those that did not read the first part: you don't have to, but you might be a little confused if you don't

Sad news: neither imageshack nor flickr upload files bigger than 10 mb, I even signed up at both sites to see if I could raise the limit, but no. So there goes my EU3 maps. So I'll have to remake them on different maps and into smaller files. Oh well, they were grainy anyway. In any case, that delays the first update, hopefully it'll be in by next week

EDIT: trying deviantart right now *crosses fingers*

Try saving them as jpegs? Or else try photoshop.

He did.

Enewald said:
You evil author, not posting a link from your old thread into this one! :mad:

Ah well, count me in anyways. :p

Actually, I did :confused:

EDIT: Thanks, Nikolai

---

DeviantArt is working fine, and my maps are uploaded there, but I've got loads of homework, so no update today...

FIRST UPDATE! mood music may need time to load

Heaven On Earth

World 1291: Discovery
(Mood Music)

columbus-ship.jpg

The discovery of Vivaldia changed the world. The year 1291 was the year that Europeans began to look at the world as a whole. And we will now do the same. Aside from the Vivaldi’s monumental discovery, there were many other nations that changed during the years from 1268 to 1291.

ss1es3.png

A map of the journey of the Vivaldia brothers, the lighter line indicates the journey back

In Europe, many changes had taken place. The Orthodox Empire had grown to the boundaries it held 300 years earlier and had almost recovered from the Mongol invasions. Michael VIII died in the year 1291 and was succeeded by his eldest son, Andronikos II. Andronikos II was highly educated in economic matters and was also a very religious man, with good standing in the Church.

180px-Serres_IM_Prodromou_Andronicos.jpg

A mosaic depicting Andronikos II

In the north, the Swedes had begun to occupy the coasts of Finland, despite heavy resistance from the Orthodox population. King Birger was very aggressive in his Catholicizing of the population there. With the blessing of the pope, Birger sent inquisitors to Finland to try and root out the Orthodox faith. They met little success, but they did burn many clergymen and would help fuel later conflicts.

The Holy Roman Empire fought back against the Mongols, and by 1291 had recaptured most of Poland. Even with an imperial council ruling the Empire, as they had not decided on an emperor since Fredrick II, the Germans were able to beat back the Mongols in the 1280s. Mongols were not in high numbers in Poland and were concentrated on containing the Orthodox Empire. With the diversions in Anatolia, the Germans rode into Poland swiftly and occupied the land, though not without significant difficulty and casualties.

The Mongol Empire, despite the loss of Poland and Anatolia, was still huge and incredibly powerful and wealthy. It stretched from the Baltic to Japan. Japan had been conquered in the 1270s under the strong centralized reign of Kublai Khan. The Mongol Empire was loosely centralized under Karakorum’s rule, but local khans in Russia, the Middle East, and Central Asia were the true authorities in their area.

250px-Kublai_Khan.jpg

A depiction of Kublai Khan

In India, the Delhi Sultanate had grown coast to coast and controlled the entire north of the Indian subcontinent. A strong Muslim presence was growing in the sultanate and there was heavy Islamization of the populace. The sultans borrowed ideas from the Catholics in Western Europe and used missionaries and Muslim inquisitors to spread their faith, often brutally. The main state in Indonesia was Majapahit. It was the only Hindu empire at the time and controlled the western half of Indonesia with its main center and capital on the island of Java.

1291_by_OJR123321.jpg

A map of the world in 1291

Last edited:
Mongols are crazy. From your description I reckon they're divided into several nations tied together with alliances, vassalship and/or PU's? If not you might find yourself opposed by an indestructible foe.

First update! :D good to see and general overview of the world in 1291, but that Mongol Empire is HUGE, I agree with Qorten, I hope they are several states, otherwise, you are doomed.