• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Impressive skills, Comrade.

For the revolution!

Onwards!

Gosh, I think I missed the AAR... :D

Nice trailer. Although I had to pause it couple of times, because while I was figuring is some letter o or e it already brought up the next piece of text. But maybe I'm just a slow reader.

Ah, so the trailer narrows the scope down. Which is good, because that's what you do best.

JimboIX: Well teasing is the purpose of trailers ( ;) ). I was originally going to use it to do a full recap (plus introduction) of the story so far but that was just too much text

Kurt_Steiner: Cheers. Its actually surprisingly easy to put together a youTube clip. Its really just a slideshow with music. Still takes forever to put it all together though

Olaus Petrus: By far and away the most difficult part of such trailers is getting the scroll speed right. You want to keep it moving along at a nice pace without going too fast. To be honest though I never considered the impact that the font would have on this. Another lesson learnt

RGB: Well these were themes that would probably have emerged anyway from the mass of plotlines and filler of this AAR but now, ie post-Sins, that I'm going about the story in a more structured way they can really come to the forefront

etycaj: Cheers! I'm hoping to attract some new readers for this relaunch and you're one of the first :)

A Note to My Readers​

Well its back. Some of you will (hopefully) be reading this AAR for the first time, while others have suffered through my previous attempt at this story. Either way, welcome. I plan to wrap up this AAR with a half dozen or so updates detailing the misadventures of Jacques d'Artois in Brittany. I know it sounds pompous but a few words first...

I started Les Journals after wanting to try something different following the relative success of my first AAR. Originally it was due to be a short interim project as I prepared my masterpiece (alas I'll probably never get round to that epic tale of love and war in revolutionary Russia) something along the lines of phargles work. You know, an event would occur and Jacques would comment sarcastically. After the first post though I began to enjoy writing the character and story... which is where everything went wrong. Without a rough sketch of the story, and with no prior experience in narrative, I was running blind. The plot rapidly stagnated as I refused to divorce myself from the restrictive diary template and forged ahead without any direction. I may have enjoyed writing the various subplots but in the grand scheme of things they were just filler

By last Autumn it was apparent to me (and I'm sure my loyal band of readers) that this was an AAR going nowhere fast. I lost enthusiasm for the story, more out of my own inability to move it forward, and got distracted by another project. Despite this the lessons I had picked up on Les Journals were invaluable and I never forgot about Jacques. So here, roughly six months from the last regular update, I am more the wiser and much better prepared. Let's see if I can put old lessons to good use

For newer readers, I'd advise reading the archives but (given that there's over twenty updates of not much happening) its not necessary. The introduction covers the political background and story so far is relatively straightforward. The cynical and bitter Jacques d'Artois has been exiled to the miserable backwater of Brittany. He's spent the past two years trying to engineer the downfall of the Valois kings (who are responsible for his exile) while surviving the politics of the province. There's been a multitude of diversions but these are at least the major plotlines that will emerge in the coming updates. The trailer gives a brief overview but feel free to ask any questions

Now let's get this show on the road...

1339-1.png

Death.png

-----​

January 13th, Year of Our Lord 1339

The inevitable has occurred and Duke Jean de Dreux has died during the night. I am assured that it was a peaceful passing but, if one must be honest, I do not particularly care. The troubles stirred by his death will leave little time for mourning for any save his wife. Stewardess Jeanne is, as one might expect, inconsolable and I have found myself taking on a number of her duties in managing the realm. These are tiresome little additions to my already burdensome portfolio but the increased burden serves to both bolster my position in the court while providing some scant relief from the more demanding tasks of Chancellorship. It is the latter that has forced me to spend the recent weeks scurrying through the keep as I hurry from council to council in an effort to maintain the uneasy peace. To date my efforts have been successful and the competition between Marshal Jean and Countess Jeanne has remained largely civil. It is unlikely that this uneasy peace shall last now that the Duke is no longer among us

As to which party shall emerge the stronger… I cannot say for certain. Countess Jeanne undoubtedly has the moral and legal advantage, being as she is the chosen heir of the Duke, and my correspondence with Paris lends the impression that she also enjoys the favour of Jean de Valois. I am not particularly pleased with the latter but the motivations of our King are, as ever, transparent. The encouragement of the Valois is not due to any sympathy with Jeanne but a more calculated move taken in light of the Marshal's strong links with Louis de Dampierre of Flanders. Already the latter has lent his considerable support to Marshal de Dreux and I suspect that the English are also lending some covert aid. Of more importance however is the loyalty of the soldiers of Brittany. The Marshal naturally commands a powerful influence amongst the professional soldiers and the lower nobility that he deals with on a daily basis. This may ultimately prove to be the deciding factor in the struggle to succeed the Duke. The coming days will reveal all

January 19th, Year of Our Lord 1339

Protocol in Brittany dictates that a week of mourning pass before the next duke is officially anointed. Traditionally this has served both as a formality and, as now, an opportunity to settle any disputes regarding inheritance. Even today's funeral of the late Duke was not permitted to halt the deepening intrigue. It was noticeable that Mathe de Donges (again acting in lieu of her errant brother) sat with the Countess Jeanne while Hélie de Pontchâteau fell into place alongside the Marshal and his wife. Fortunately I was able to avoid openly aligning with either party by comforting the grief stricken Stewardess but I continue to face increasing pressure to endorse either candidate. This is the dilemma that continues to monopolise my attention. Clearly both parties place a high value on my advice and influence and as the sole truly neutral member of the court I occupy the unique position of possible arbitrator in this dispute

If this is to be the role dictated to me by the Fates then so be it. Let it not be said that I shirked the opportunities provided to enhance my own station. To date I have hesitated for fear of aligning with the eventual loser in this dispute but I see now that my intervention is necessary to prevent possible civil war. This damaging squabble cannot possibly continue for much longer without collapsing into violence, and the chaos wrought by a fully fledged war is possibly the only way in which my exile in this blasted province could become yet more uncomfortable. Now I must decide with which party my future lies…

Honestly compels me to admit that I would prefer to see the fair Countess Jeanne recover her birthright. I do find her presence to be far more enjoyable than that of the boorish Marshal and the strength of her claim is convincing. Despite this I am forced to ask as to whether the moral superiority of the Countess is enough to triumph. Marshal de Dreux can call on the loyalty of the ducal army and the impressive finances of Flanders. In contrast the only aid from abroad that Jeanne can muster is the weak endorsement of Jean de Valois. I had feared that the King would use this opportunity to tame Brittany but the war in Aquitaine continues to draw his focus. No, without additional foreign support I see no future for Jeanne's claim. Even in a civil war the Marshal would possess all the advantages…

Again the mere act of placing my thoughts on parchment serves to illuminate the path that I must take. At this moment the Countess Jeanne cannot emerge victorious and my support would, at best, provoke a civil war in which all could well be lost. In addition, any great delay in reaching my decision would only weaken my hand should events transpire to spiral out of control. Yes… I am convinced as to the course of action that I must now take

January 21st, Year of Our Lord 1339

The deed, as they say, is done. I took no pleasure for my actions but they were necessary in order to avoid future bloodshed. Obviously Jeanne de Dreux was… unhappy when I counselled her to accept the Marshal's claim to the duchy. Admirably her composure did not collapse into female hysteria but she was obviously, and naturally, distraught at the prospect of having to forfeit her inheritance. However I was able to convince the fair Jeanne that this is a battle that she cannot possibly win. It would be far better for all if she were to acknowledge Marshal Jean as rightful heir and, in return, wring some concessions from the new Duke. I also hinted that in time more… underhand measures could be taken to ensure a smooth inheritance at a later date. Civil war in the coming weeks would serve few but the war profiteers.

Thankfully my abilities of persuasion were enough to secure the agreement of Jeanne in this accord, although naturally most of the details I had already confirmed with the Marshal the day previously. Marshal Jean will become duke, and be confirmed as such by the King, while the Countess will retain her lands around Penthievre in full. The composition of the ducal court will also remain unchanged with both Stewardess Jeanne and Marthe de Donges, allies of the Countess, secured placement in the court for the next five years. More importantly, should the new duke die childless then the duchy will automatically be inherited by his rival. In short this is something of a maintenance of the current arrangements, which will please few, but it will at least secure a future free of open strife and violent conflict. In turn this should allow me to pursue my agenda abroad. Jacques, you're a genius

He is a genius! I'm surprised he hasn't told more people...If I recall correctly, historically Jeanne had her husband Charles to fight by her side. She'll need another one to get very far in this version of France. But who? Interesting that you have John choosing her, the kiss of death as far as Jacques is concerned. If I recall correctly the de Dreux's are the junior branch of a junior branch of the Capetians who happened on a Breton heiress, so I suppose the Marshal can rely on their preference for male succession here.

It's good to see Jacques back and in action. It will be good for the Brittany to have strong duke instead of sick one, although he might meddle more and I'm not certain if Jacques will like that.

He is probably walking around with a smirk on his face, the git.

Nice to see you back and writing. I'm back and somewhat writing too :D

FebFrame.png

-----​

February 17th, Year of Our Lord 1339

With the question of succession settled, for the time being, daily living in this dull backwater has largely returned to the routine. I must admit that I do occasionally miss those periods of frantic activity and intrigue but my suspicions are that this odd nostalgia is solely due to the usual crushing boredom of court life in Brittany. Even the weather, remote from my thoughts during the negotiations over the ducal succession, has returned to my thoughts - the ever-present blanket of grey clouds hardly raises my spirits. I had hoped in part that the emergence of a new and healthy duke would have sparked some vigour in the court but Marshal... that is, Duke de Dreux continues to live and rule as he did while the old duke was on Death's door. Plus ca change...

There was a time when a return to my old pastime of causing trouble for the Valois kings would have generated at least some personal entertainment. Alas the strength of Jean de Valois continues to grow and I am almost resigned to spending an eternity in exile. The English armies have, with the odd exception, been driven from the shores of Aquitaine and soon the King of France will be lord and master of all the lands between the Channel and the Mediterraneus. That is a depressing thought. The great lords of the kingdom continue to lend arms to Crown and are content to suffer under the heavy handed rule of Paris. It falls to the poorest of the nobility to protest for they can least afford to commit their scant resources to lengthy campaigns. Duke Jean of Armagnac has, if my sources are to be believed, already recalled his soldiers from the royal armies and set himself in opposition to the King. Such bravado is admirable but will surely be as futile as that of the late de Vendome

Bah, I do not know why I persist in recording my thoughts when they are so depressingly bleak. A certain stubbornness of the will is no doubt responsible. I am tempted to raise my temperament by writing to the fair Jeanne de Dreux but she has not yet forgiven me for endorsing the Marshal in the succession dispute

February 28th, Year of Our Lord 1339

I will not bother with describing the intolerable humdrum of court life - my irritation with that gormless clod Hélie de Pontchâteau grows daily but thankfully the new Duke has seen fit to ignore the fool's ambition and retain my services as Chancellor - as this journal of mine already possesses enough such entries. Thankfully matters abroad have seized my attention and this evening I dwell on that most treasured pastime of mine - plotting the downfall of the Valois king. To my surprise this has of late become a most happy time to pursue this little hobby

It is rare indeed that I am responsible for a defect in understanding or error in reasoning but it is the mark of a great man who truthfully admits to such occasional mistakes. I will gladly confess to such tonight. It was... ill considered of me to previously dismiss the revolt of the brave Armagnac so. It is a testament to the depressive powers of Brittany that I should ever have failed to applaud, and wholeheartedly encourage, efforts to topple the vile Jean de Valois. This is a mission that has received a great boost today with the news - somewhat more than mere rumour at this stage - that Jean de Dampierre of Flanders has allied himself with Armagnac and declared war on his liege. This revolt by one of the wealthiest, and therefore most powerful, dukes in the land has the potential to transform a minor dispute into a fully fledged civil war! Well... one can hope at least. The grievances of Flanders may be primarily local, being largely concerned with the devastation that war with England has visited on the cross-channel wool trade, but every duke, count, and baron in France will be watching the unfolding events with care.

JeandArmagnac.gif

Jean d'Armagnac has raised the banner of civil war

And what role of Brittany in this affair? For now I am content to watch and wait as events unfold. Should the revolt gather pace then there is much to be gained from openly resisting the Crown but, conversely, de Valois would lose little time in razing Nantes and placing my head on a pole should royal arms prevail then. I have already advised the court to reject any overtures from Flanders that call for more than covert aid. Jean de Valois has proven to be a resilient foe and I will not risk all until his rule is clearly approaching an end

March 6th, Year of Our Lord 1339

It is done. I have spent the past hour drawing up an immaculate declaration of war that will be issued against the King tomorrow morn. Next I must prepare dispatches for the Bishop de Donges and Countess de Dreux instructing them to mobilise their garrisons and soldiers in preparation for a march south. For now however I shall relax and contemplate events as the rest of the keep hurries to prepare for war. It is in this brief moment of inaction that I can berate myself for failing to recall that one minor detail that has subsequently thwarted my efforts to delay Brittany's march to war

Clearly I should not have dismissed the influence of Louis de Dampierre so easily. Through his sister (wife of Jean de Dreux!) he has propelled Brittany into a war that she cannot win and ignoring my sound advice. Clearly the Duke's lust for glories on the battlefield, and desire for peace in the bedchamber, has blinded him to some harsh realities. In total we can perhaps muster some twenty thousand men, from all corners of the duchy, which is a respectable force. However, de Valois currently commands a royal host of at least twice that... and several other armies of near equal strength. Many of these forces are comprised of ducal parties but there is no reason to suspect that they will join ourselves in opposition to the King; indeed, recent history suggests that the spineless cowards will remain loyal. Yet the court refused to heed my convincing words!

The results of this failure on my part are all too obvious. The new Duke may relish the battles to come but those of us who can count without using our fingers can appreciate the odds facing us. Jean de Valois will surely march north with haste to contain Breton armies in the peninsula and then seize the opportunity to permanently remove this thorn in his side. Certainly we shall be his highest priority. In turn this shall play into the hands of Louis de Dampierre who is now free to plunder further east without disturbance. It is little wonder that Flanders was so eager to see a sympathetic figure come to power in Brittany

I must now press on with my work. War has arrived and it will take much persuasion to convince the Duke's vassals to rally to his standard. My task is no easier when this banner in question is that of civil war and revolt

So much for the much hoped for new readers. Maybe I should throw in some more pictures to attract the masses? And a war or two!

JimboIX: Yep. I've no idea just when this issue of marriage cropped up in the AAR (although Jacques did definitely muse on it in some update) but in alt-history terms the failure of Jeanne to marry de Blois is the real point of departure for this timeline

Olaus Petrus: Well as you can see above the new Duke is very... proactive in some regards ;)

RGB: Pffft. I'm weaving an intricate tapestry of love and betrayal here. You think your explanation of the naming of Iceland (hint: it might have something to do with all the ice) can possibly compare :D

Ah, the war against wretched Valois has started, but not even that makes Jacques happy. Hopefully Jacques fears won't come to reality and make this war a disaster (although I'm certain that Jacques wouldn't feel very sorry if few Bretons manage to get themselves killed).

I've seen the hundred years war play out in someone other than the Valois's favor without my intervention only a handful of times in CK. Fortunately, you're intervening, so there's a chance Jacques and the intrepid Duke may be able to gain at least independence.

It is a war that has been a very long time coming, even if it has arrived too soon. For shame that Jacques choose the Marshall over Jeanne. He should have known where that choice would lead him. A genius he is not.

Hah, you've got a new reader now, Comrade! (Whether you want me or not, lol.) Jacques is delightful to follow, and I like the diary format. I do think the rain is getting to him, though; this isn't a bad start for a revolt, with three duchies (Gascony, Brittany, Flanders) taking up arms simultaneously, and with them being spread out geographically, making it harder for the king to deal with three fronts at once. Plus, while I don't know how the AI makes these decisions, IMO it would be odd for de Valois to go after the Bretons first, since the Flandern provinces are both more prosperous and more threatening to Ile-de-France.

And if the English take another crack at intervening…Jacques may be back in Paris before he would ever guess.

Onward!

Pfft yourself. Wanna know what Markland is? And Vinland? The Vikings weren't all that imaginative in naming. Not MY fault though!

Haha war with the Valois. That's an intrigue gone sour, possibly, right there. But then as we say in Russian, for some people it's a war, for some people, their own mother couldn't be kinder.

Perhaps Jacques is among the latter.

MarFrame.png

-----​

April 22nd, Year of Our Lord 1339

So it begins. The armies of Brittany have mobilised and now march to war. The new Duke and Steward Jeanne have conspired to assemble a fighting host with much speed and the vanguard has already departed west towards the royal keep at Anjou. The Duke's party is accompanied by most of the ducal soldiers, while I have been tasked with instructing the vassal armies of Penthievre and Cornouaille to move into the royal lands around Normandy. This should at least prevent an inconvenient meeting of Countess Jeanne and Duke Jean on the battlefield. Such a division of forces obviously carries some risk but it should also reduce the foraging burden and (hopefully!) force the King to follow suit in dividing his armies and attention

That I pen these words from the stout walls of my bedchamber is evidence enough that I have not accompanied either army into the field. Even the witless mule Hélie de Pontchâteau has been granted a command within the ducal army advancing into Anjou but I have been relegated to holding a small regiment in the defence of Nantes. This is a decided slur against my character and a worrying indicator as to my standing in the court. It is possible of course that the Duke views myself as the most capable of defending the duchy... but I do doubt this. Commanding a handful of inbred Bretons who could not tell one end of a spear from the other is not a just reward for my years of loyal service. My regiment is due to arrive in a number of days from Vannes and I already shudder at the thought of what dull cretins are considered able soldiers in such a backwater

April 29th, Year of Our Lord 1339

The men from Vannes arrived yesterday evening and I was not particularly impressed. There are a handful of capable soldiers amongst them, drawn from the local nobility, but most of the regiment, which numbers just over two thousand men, is clearly comprised of peasants and small farmers. Given that these are no doubt better suited to wielding a spade than a sword, I have set them to work on the construction of some earthworks on selected sites south of the town. If Jean de Valois marches north towards Nantes, which I pray he will not, then he will have to cross the Loire River at some point. Obviously I am not a military man but even I can perceive the defensive advantages of such a natural obstacle

Now I must return to the arduous task of supervising these gormless Bretons and practising my swordsmanship. I have no intention of seeing battle myself but apparently it encourages the rank and file when their commander can at least wield a sword without causing himself injury

May 16th, Year of Our Lord 1339

I cannot pause to write as news most urgent has reached me of a host moving rapidly against Nantes. Several thousand men, under the command of Louis Duke of Bourbon, will fall upon us in days. Clearly Jean de Valois has directed the bulk of his forces against us... as I had feared. I have already dispatched runners to Duke de Dreux, still investing Anjou, but I fail to see how he can return in time. It is too early to talk of surrender; tonight I lead the bulk of my formations down to the river fords and prepare positions for coming battle. If all goes well the narrow crossing points will nullify any advantage in numbers enjoyed by the royalists

May 21st, Year of Our Lord 1339

Words cannot do justice to the fury and passion of today's battle and so I shall not exhaust my remaining energy in an attempt to do so. It was a ferocious occasion but Brittany did prevail and the forces of Louis de Bourbon were unable to establish themselves on this side of the river. Alas that our heavy numerical disadvantage - the enemy has mustered at least fifteen thousand men for this expedition - prevented us from taking the offensive and driving them from the battlefield. Of course it is also true that I would not trust my peasant levies with such a manoeuvre as they are capable of stationary formations and little else... but perhaps I am being churlish. My men did perform admirably as we carried the day. Unfortunately battle will inevitably resume tomorrow and I remain no more confident as to the odds stacked against me

May 27th, Year of Our Lord 1339

The past days have been intense and unlike any previous campaigning that I have participated in. For three days Louis has attempted to force the crossing and for three days we have repulsed him. My men are worried as to the mounting casualties and I pray daily that my foe will soon exhaust his foraging efforts and thus withdraw his army from the field in order to avoid starvation. Despite this I am confident that we will hold and thwart Louis' march north. We have fought well to date and morale remains acceptable. No doubt my own heroism on the battlefield has contributed greatly to the esprit de corps. I really should have instructed a bard to accompany the expedition and record my deeds in a more fitting prose

HeroJacques.gif

Clearly my talents are not limited to fighting with words

June 4th, Year of Our Lord 1339

There is, as they say, no shame in being defeated by the best. Louis de Bourbon is clearly a master tactician to rival Alexander and I now have little recourse save to steel myself for defeat. There has been no fighting yet today, hence I possess the time to scribble these thoughts, as the forces across the river have not attempted to dislodge us. Indeed they have done naught but threaten an advance for the past two days... two days in which Louis has stealthily taken the bulk of his forces some distance downriver to cross in peace. It was admittedly a cunning masquerade and I see little escape. Any attempt to retreat north will encourage the enemy formations across the river to renew their assault along this bloody ford, and incur the very real risk of an attack on the flank of our march by Louis and his advancing army on this shore. Obviously complete inaction will result in an attack from two fronts. I have no intention of dying for Brittany... surrender it shall be

June 7th, Year of Our Lord 1339

This has been an... odd day. I awoke expecting defeat and yet I shall shortly rest for the night after claiming a most improbable victory. C'est la vie. On the approach of the royalist army I had ordered my own men to the field of battle with the intention to surrender them to Louis de Bourbon. That much is clear in my mind but while I laboured over my document of surrender events suddenly took an unexpected turn. Turmoil to the rear of the enemy army indicated that something was amiss and it became apparent that Louis was under attack! While I carefully weighted my options a number of minor nobles under my command took it upon themselves to compound royalist difficulties by launching an assault of their own. Naturally the rest of the ill-disciplined rabble that I call my army followed suit and I had no choice but to commit myself to battle. Who was at the head of this third army that complicated matters? Imagine my shock when I saw none other than Bishop de Donges leading a regiment into battle. This man of God - supposedly on pilgrimage in Rome... while his men are supposed to be campaigning far north from here - was quite something to behold with mace in hand and foam at the mouth. The ferocity with which the Bishop's men pressed their charge, combined with my own brave assault, was too much for Louis and his men - they were driven from the field and many were slaughtered as they sought to cross the river to sanctuary. So ends, for the present at least, the obvious danger to Brittany and the hopes of de Valois for a quick campaign

And that was a long but ultimately profitable day of fighting. Now I must return to questioning this bloody bishop in an effort to make some sense of his arrival. Thus far he has simply stated that angels informed him of my plight and directed him south. Of his whereabouts for the past year he says naught... I am beginning to suspect that the man is not entirely sane. Still, even I will take some comfort in attending tonight's celebratory mass

MadBishop.gif

Excommunicated? One would have thought that I would have been informed...

Apologies all for the slight delay but normal service has resumed with, as promised, more pictures and wars. This gives the update a slightly different feel from previous ones but I have to admit that it was great fun to write

Also I've noticed a small easter egg left in by the artist of the event pictures. This is the sort of thing you find when poring over an image at 400X magnification because you want the borders to be just right. The below comes from the image of Jacques the hero (inverted just above the Brittany shield) but I've no idea what it means. Based on my previous find I suspect that its an internet meme from 2002 or so

EasterEgg1.gif

We get signal

-----​

Olaus Petrus: Jacques never seems to be happy, does he? I can't remember if there's an "indecisive" trait in CK...

JimboIX: Well in the 1337 scenario the French kings are pretty powerful (by virtue of possessing all those lands in the south) and most of the dukes are still loyal to the Crown. Without a spreading of the revolt the Valois can afford to send army after army to Brittany

stnylan: Jacques does tend to have his defining qualities, including vanity, but I've never considered loyalty to be one of them. That said, given the weakness of Jeanne's position, the alternative to choosing the Marshal was probably civil war

It's Amazing: *Does his new reader dance*

CK unfortunately doesn't seem to evaluate provinces based on wealth or strategy. Instead the AI simply marches to the nearest enemy province. Given that most of the French armies have been mopping up in Aquitaine this is bad news for Brittany

That said, its also been some time since I let such simply gameplay concerns interfere with an AAR :p

RGB: Yeah, Russians are weird. 'Nuff said

Jacques surprised me this time. He was a lot more braver than I expected. I assumed that he would lead (far) behind the lines instead of being himself on the battlefield.