• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Surely a man like Jacques is to be trusted.

A fool wouldn't. ;)

Good to see an update.

Nice update. Are we finally seeing the beginnings of movement towards achieving Jacques' goals?

Good to see that the recent erratic update schedule hasn't deterred all my readers. Apologies all for this but I've simply been snowed under with working on my thesis. Still, such delays only further prolong the story so from now on you can expect at least one update a week, probably on a Saturday. Hopefully such a public commitment will keep me honest :)

I've also been doing a rather self-critical review of how the story is unfolding and the general progress of the AAR to date. While major changes are not to be expected I'm still eager to up the sluggish pace of the story and generally get things moving. In this your feedback is very much desired and appreciated.

Thesis? No need to add anything, mate. I'm going to re-start mine one of these days and I'm trembling, really. Good luck!

-----​

June 19th, Year of Our Lord 1338

It is good to finally escape that damned duchy, if only for a day and if only to a neighbouring town. The air around Poitiers, though clogged with smoke from the pillaging, is somehow still fresher and more attractive than the oppressive atmosphere of Brittany. It is even summer here with the strong sun warming the timbers of siege equipment… I need not contrast this image with the lands just a few leagues north.

My time in Poitiers is to be brief, I return to Brittany tomorrow morn, and my presence in the English camp supposedly secret. It would be poor fortune indeed if Jean de Valois was to discover that the Chancellor of Brittany spent the night in the company of English nobles outside of a beleaguered French keep. It is good then that I have already successfully concluded my business de Ufford in short order.

The Englishman was obviously preoccupied with coordinating the considerable task of starving the defenders of Poitiers into submission. He is confident however that the town shall not resist for long, a probable judgement given the recent string of French defeats, and we were able to discuss other matters over the midday meal. Again de Ufford requested the direct intervention of Brittany in the war and again I was forced to decline. Until the Duke has been convinced that it is in his best interests there is little that I can do in that regards.

Our current arrangement, in which English soldiers avail of passage through Brittany, still stands however and I have pledged that indirect support of the English cause shall continue. The success of Edward's armies in France has placed much strain on his kingdom's ability to maintain and defend these new conquests and so Brittany's strategic role only grows. This much the Duke appreciates. A withdrawal of this aid would greatly weaken English fortunes… where else can their soldiers purchase supplies or their ships harbour in safety?

June 22nd, Year of Our Lord 1338

The journey home was uneventful although I was disturbed by the numbers of refugees that clog the road to Nantes. I suspect that Steward Jeanne will be fully occupied with managing these vagrants in the days to come. On more important matters, I was disappointed to find little correspondence awaiting my return. There are always reports of general unease with the Valois conduct of the war but still no sign that the Dukes are considering withdrawing their support. How frustrating.

July 2nd, Year of Our Lord 1338

Rumours have reached my ears of trouble in England. The Scots, led by the savage and fearsome David Bruce, have left their mountainous strongholds and have begun to launch raids across the border. Already York has been sacked by these fierce barbarians and they threaten to sweep across the entire north of England spreading rapine and terror. While I will refrain from faulting the efforts of the Highlanders to honour their alliance with the French Crown, I, and all men of civilisation, cannot help but be appalled by the devastation wrought on innocent England. I fervently pray that the English barons are able to deal with this blight without disrupting Edward's campaigning in France.

DavidBruce1338.jpg

Bruce is said to be seven feet tall and can shoot bolts of lightning from his arse​
July 8th, Year of Our Lord 1338

The fortifications at Poitiers have fallen to the English sooner than expected. No doubt this is a sign of wavering French morale following their string of defeats some months ago and the relative inaction of Jean de Valois since. I can only pray that this feeling of discontent is shared by the upper echelons of the French armies. For now however we have new neighbours… by all appearances de Ufford and his men will not be leaving Poitiers in the near future. I can only wonder why Edward has halted his army's advance when the road to Paris lies open.

July 17th, Year of Our Lord 1338

I have finally succeeded in locating those pirates plaguing my "friend" in Flanders. It was no surprise to learn from my contacts that the rogues are using the harbours of Cornouaille as safe havens. The continued absence of the Bishop de Donges has only encouraged such lawless activities in his lands and I fear what other brigands haunt the countryside of Cornouaille. This ill-management of the county is rapidly becoming intolerable and the Duke must surely act soon to correct the Bishop's negligence.

With regards the seagoing villains themselves, I passed on their location to our ever-eager Marshal and he was only too glad to sally forth and deal with this menace. I was tempted to encourage the pirates to offer their services, and a portion of their plunder, to Countess Jeanne, in exchange for safe harbour, but I would not wish to force such unscrupulous rogues on the fair lady. I am also unwilling to bolster the means of the Countess to press her claim the Duchy unless I can be certain that she will prevail. A civil war would be to no one's advantage… least of all my own.

Heh. A teenage king wrecking northern England just to get street cred. An example of the angst-filled teenager when given possession of a country...

A nice little trip for Jacques, all and all. Isn't David the King's brother in law? You'd think it would at least encourage him to tone down the barbarian rhetoric...not that that would slow Jacques down any. Hopefully for Jacques the English wil be as successful against the Scots in the scenario as they were in our own history at Neville's Cross.

Poor Jacques he had to return to beautiful Armorica. :(

And you should in no conditions allow pirates to land of a lady. They might get funny ideas and Jacques wouldn't like that.

Still scheming for his Lady...

Pirates? Whatever's wrong with pirates? :confused:

Bruce is said to be seven feet tall and can shoot bolts of lightning from his arse
:rofl:

aussieboy: At last! Proof that the subliminal republican messages in this AAR are producing results :p

JimboIX: Well Jacques is fairly predictable in more than one way. One of his many prejudicial beliefs is that the further north you go, the more barbarous the lands become. So you can imagine what he thinks Scotland must be like.

Olaus Petrus: Armorica is a new term for me. I think its safe to say though that by the 14th C the Breton culture, and name, was well established in the region. But I might use this later.

stnylan: Yes and no. I think its safe to say that Jacques' first priority is himself and his survival. He'll weight up how something affects his fortunes first and then consider the Countess.

Pirate Z: Obviously pirates are unscrupulous and treasonous rogues who have no sense of honour or duty to their liege :nods:

-----​

July 25th, Year of Our Lord 1338

My intervention in the matter of the piracy has earned me the ire of Steward Jeanne de Savoie. The Duke's wife clearly feels that I infringed on her position when I requested that the Marshal root out the villains in Cornouaille. Naturally her charges are ludicrous and I pointed out that as the affair dealt with the lands of a vassal it was, as Chancellor, my jurisdiction. I did refrain however from commenting that if the foolish woman wanted responsibility for these lands then she must also accept the blame for their poor management. Sometimes it pays to be diplomatic.

I suspect that this issue is really about de Savoie being overly protective of her husband. It is possible that she feels that my act of asking the Marshal, rather than herself, for assistance in this matter signifies that I can no longer be relied upon as an ally in the court. This is not desirable - I have worked mightily to gain the trust of both sides of this dynastic dispute and this overreaction from the Steward is not needed.

August 6th, Year of Our Lord 1338

Affairs at court have taken a decided turn for the worst of late. Unsurprisingly it is that cretin Hélie de Pontchâteau who is the cause of my recent woes. The blundering fool has somehow discovered that I have been maintaining a network of informants throughout the lands and has, audaciously, petitioned the Duke to force me to relinquish these details to him! Does this imbecile have no comprehension as to the nature of my correspondence? These acquaintances abroad write to me out of trust in my character and judgement, not merely because I pay them. The skills involved in managing such a delicate network are far beyond the crude de Pontchâteau and to Hades with his supposed prerogatives as Spy Master!

Under normal circumstances I would not fret unduly. Duke de Dreux has always had an inexplicable fondness for de Pontchâteau but he also appears to possess a realistic assessment of his abilities. That, surely, is the reason why it was I, and not the fool, who was selected to serve as Chancellor. The Duke knows right well that I am more suited to the managing of this task and usually that would be enough. However my recent… quarrel with Steward Jean only complicates matters and casts doubt on my loyalty to the Duke.

Perhaps this problem could be solved if I were to reveal that this network gives me naught but useless rumours and idle speculation. A pity that affairs are never that simple.

August 15th, Year of Our Lord 1338

Ill tidings from Aquitaine. Edward Plantagenet has heeded the pleas of his subjects and returned to his kingdom to check the rampaging Scottish armies. Given the speed that news travels he may already stand on English soil as I write this. No word has reached my ears as to how many regiments have accompanied their king across the waves but even a minor withdrawal is a boon to the French armies. There has been word of English raiding parties as far east as Toulouse, and of course de Ufford remains comfortably lodged in Poitiers, but I cannot see this rearguard being enough to hold off the armies of the French Crown. After months of regrouping his forces Jean de Valois must surely be preparing a campaign before the winter months.

August 23rd, Year of Our Lord 1338

Marshal Jean has finally returned from his expedition to oust the pirates of Cornouaille. Given the, relatively, tranquil nature of life in Nantes this has been treated as a great triumph. Indeed the fervour of the peasantry on catching sight of the severed trophy heads reminded one of those grand Roman processions. I am beginning to think that Steward Jeanne was right… perhaps I did underestimate the degree to which this affair would enhance the Marshal's prestige. An unpleasant thought.

Still, this has ensured that one concern of mine has been alleviated. Along with the decaying remains of the pirates, the Marshal has also secured their precious cargo of Flemish cloth and products. These goods are worth quite a tidy sum and would make a poor man rich… hence my bitter resentment at having to surrender my share of the spoils to the Duke. It is a purely voluntary gesture of course but one calculated to restore myself to good graces and secure a favourable ruling against de Pontchâteau's outrageous demands. I have no doubt that this contribution to the ducal coffers will not go unappreciated.

I did at least secure for myself a single new coat of rich blue. Oh how fortune smiles upon me...

Do I detect a hint of sarcasm i Jacques' fortune..? Never from our humble narrator, surely. Hopefully the french don't gain the upper hand, Jean might not be incompetent enough to mess this up however.

Jacques must not allow his enemies to win the duke's favour.

ComradeOm said:
Armorica is a new term for me. I think its safe to say though that by the 14th C the Breton culture, and name, was well established in the region. But I might use this later.

Bretagne or Britannia Minor as it is called in Latin is the name of region at the late middle ages. Calling it Armorica is bit like calling France as Gallia. :)

Continuing tricky domestic politics for our Chancellor. Still, he's quietly moving himself into a better position.

Those poor, defenceless pirates :( How could he? GDCU, you cruel man!

Ok. We have a problem here. First with Marthe, now with Jeanne...

Mmmmh... too sexy for this job, perhaps? :rofl:

You know when I said that I'd be updating every Saturday? Well, I lied. Right now my writing time is entirely eaten up by work and so there'll be no update this week. I'll try to have one for next week but don't expect anything. Updates will be erratic for the next month or so. In hindsight leaving my thesis to the last minute wasn't a particularly smart move.

So apologies all.

Real Life is like that, we all know. So don't worry, my friend. You didn't lie, you just were too optimistic ;)

We'll be patient and meanwhile we'll tease Allenby-like :rofl: