• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How very frustrating things are getting for our courtier.

Kurt_Steiner: I haven't quite made up my mind as to Marthe's character but the Duke will certainly be getting more "screen time" as he recovers.

JimboIX: Well for the sake of this AAR I hope you're right. It would be a pretty abrupt end if Jacques was suddenly able to return to Paris ;)

RGB: The war will be feature more in 1338 than the previous year. The English have finally got their fingers out and started campaigning in France.

Olaus Petrus: Probably the same length. The only difference is that I'll actually have something game related to write about :)

stnylan: C'est la vie en Brittany

Anyways it turns out that writing is actually a pretty good hangover cure so I actually have something this week. If it seems that I'm skipping through the dates fairly quickly, well that's because I am.

-----​

March 5th, Year of Our Lord 1338

Again there is little to write about as my dreary life continues. While originally novel, the intrigues of the court begin to bore me. This is not Paris and the petty scheming of Brittany lacks a certain something. Perhaps it is competence that is amiss. While the intrigue of the royal court was tinged by danger, and a knife was never far from hand, I know that there is little threat to my safety in this backwater province. It has become clear that neither the Marshal nor the Duke is desperate enough to resort to open strife and so they both secretly attempt to shore up support amongst the court. The days drop away and I have no entertainment save the clumsy manoeuvrings of amateurs.

The only item of note is the continuing progress of the Duke's recovery. His presence has once again become a fixture in the daily life of the court, to the obvious displeasure of some. This at least provides me with an opportunity to display my, admittedly still rudimentary, knowledge of events occurring outside of the duchy. I do not doubt that my competence greatly irritates de Pontchâteau; naturally this makes it all the more pleasing to me.

Of particular concern to the Duke is that the loyalty of his vassals may have suffered during his weakness. Thankfully it does not take much effort to convince him that both his niece and his old friend the Bishop de Donges have remained loyal to his authority. Despite this I did not confide that it has been some time since my correspondence to the Bishop has been answered. I must question Marthe as to when her brother will return from his pilgrimage to Rome.

March 16th, Year of Our Lord 1338

It seems that news of the Duke de Dreux's miraculous recovery has spread beyond the borders of the duchy. No doubt it was his agents in Anjou that were responsible for informing Jean de Valois that his vassal was no longer on his death bed. Regardless, the King clearly knows of the recovery… I cannot believe that today's messenger from the royal court was mere coincidence.

A summons to fulfil feudal obligations cannot simply be ignored. As it is the refusal of Brittany to contribute knights or gold to the war with England was barely tolerable when the Duke was dying; it would be inexcusable now. I can perhaps delay a response somewhat and simply lie about the health of de Dreux but this tactic will not last for long. Of course if the other dukes possessed but a thimble of ambition between them then they would rebel and this problem would disappear.

March 21st, Year of Our Lord 1338

Perhaps the King's summons to arms was not a result of the Duke's bettered health. Rather it may have been simple desperation. I have heard that Edward of England has arrived with a powerful army in Bordeaux. Perhaps the decisive battle of the war approaches? If so then the contribution of thousands of Bretons could be crucial for Valois success.

A fresh and powerful English offensive prevents, or decreases the likelihood of, the Valois turning north to forcibly enforce Brittany's cooperation in this war. At the same time the refusal of the Duke to fulfil his obligations in the face of English success can only demonise his character and force a response from the other dukes. I fear that soon Brittany will have to choose a side in this conflict.

March 25th, Year of Our Lord 1338

Again crisis abroad gives way to crisis at home. The latest affair of note in fair Brittany is the repeated refusal of Steward Jean, with the approval of her husband, to finance the construction of a training ground in Rennes. This is not the first time that the Marshal has been rebuffed on this issue but in the current poisonous environment of the court the matter has taken on a bitter aspect. Even such a minor budgetary affair possesses the potential to topple the apple cart… if I may use such a provincial expression.

Of course in affairs of politics it is possible for one crisis to affect another. The reasoning presented by the Duke de Dreux for withholding funds from the Marshal is his need to finance an expedition to aid the King of France. Such a contribution to the defence of the kingdom is not only difficult to criticise but would also require the Marshal to leave the duchy and accompany the army. It appears that the Duke is willing to campaign with the Valois to strengthen his own position in Brittany.

While a sound move on his part, the Duke's apparent resignation to joining the war against England would effectively end the ambitions of both myself and Edward Plantagenet. Luckily I have been tasked with communicating the intentions of de Dreux to the Jean de Valois. I must abandon my writing for tonight and act with haste if the situation is to be salvaged.

Looks like Jacques still has an opportunity to stall- good for him. And he's working colloquialisms into his dialect. How quaint- he might kill himself if anyone finds out though..Writing cures hangovers? And I thought the solution was ground up aspirin.

Haha the scheming courtiers....

War seems to be inevitable, despite of the wishes of Jacques. Idea that duke might support De Valois must make him mad.

With all the discord at home, there should be plenty of opportunities for Jacques to extend his influences.

Well, the charming Marthe has been quite silent this time... Get rid of the troublesome Duke, man!

Let's hope Jacques can use his crucial position to manipulate events towards his own ends. And really, GDCU, you should try some more violence, betrayal and murder, always good for fun ;)

-----​

March 28th, Year of Our Lord 1338

There are times when violence, however deplorable, is justified in the eyes of the Lord. Surely it is just to take the life of one man in order to spare bloodshed of many? I must make a note to consult Bishop de Donges on the matter when I next see that wandering cleric. Regardless of the state of my immortal soul, my mortal shell is much pleased by the success of my latest plan. The ability to improvise is always to be admired in oneself.

As a willing participant the Marshal took little convincing and he did act swiftly after I informed him as to the departure of the Duke's messenger to the King's camp. The carrier now lies dead in a shallow grave and his precious communication to the Valois is naught but ashes. It will be weeks before it becomes apparent that the messenger did not survive his journey… precious weeks in which I may act to scupper any plans to join the war against England. When the corpse is found this foul deed will no doubt be assumed to be the work of bandits or rogue mercenaries. With little luck the Duke will never be the wiser as to the untimely end that befell his messenger. All in all, a tidy little affair.

I must still ask as to what motivates the Marshal in this act? Surely he is not so short-sighted to act with the sole intention of preventing war in order to secure a single training ground? It is possible that he does fear leaving the duchy at this moment in time… either because a rejuvenated Duke de Dreux will capitalise on his absence or the warrior has conspiracies of his own in motion.

That the Marshal was willing to lend his soldiers to my own plan indicates a willingness on his part to take risks to secure his inheritance. Was it cunning ruthlessness or rashness that led him to follow my advice and liquidate the royal messenger? Either is a dangerous quality and both bode ill for the future.

April 6th, Year of Our Lord 1338

Thankfully talk of war has been somewhat less common amongst the court of late and preparations to finance a military campaign have quietly ceased. Perhaps it is that both sides believe that they have gained some advantage through this skirmish? The Marshal must surely feel content in acting to thwart his half-brother's plans to aid the Valois, his recent attitude suggests such, while the Duke himself is surely relieved that he no longer has to sponsor an expedition south.

Or perhaps the Duke's renewed reluctance to aid his liege has nothing to do with court politics but is simply related to the fresh rumours emanating from the south? The talk of the court does revolve around news that the King has suffered a heavy defeat in Aquitaine?

April 13th, Year of Our Lord 1338

I have at last managed to corner Marthe de Donges and make tentative inquiries regarding her brother. It has been several months since news has reached me of the Bishop of Cornouaille and my concern is considerable. If the man wishes to embark on a pilgrimage to Rome then he could at least furnish his feudal lord with dates regarding his return. As it is the Bishop could be dead for all I know and I am distressed at having to communicate with the idiotic courtiers that govern the province in his absence.

Unfortunately Marthe was unable to enlighten me as to her brother's plans. She merely babbled on about the primacy of the spiritual calling over temporal concerns. I am tempted to make further inquiries of Rome, perhaps write to the Pope himself, but I fear that the answer would be more of the same gibberish.

If a man cannot fulfil his feudal obligations then he should have the decency to renounce them. Alas that Duke de Dreux still has a fondness for the absent clergyman or I would petition for his title to be revoked and distributed to more… deserving members of court. Can no one rid me of the damnable priest?

April 21st, Year of Our Lord 1338

As always I am thankful that ill news travels with speed. The rumours regarding the war in Aquitaine are indeed true. That my confirmation comes from the Englishman de Ufford is of no matter. I have learned that Jean de Valois did suffer a most grevious defeat at the hands of his counterpart on the fields of Saintonge. Even now Edward does invest those fortifications after scattering the Frankish army. I pray that this defeat may end the willingness of the French dukes to scrape and bow before the Valois.

A dark turn for our hero, not that he hasn't always been a bit of an anti-hero. I wonder if this will draw the Marshal and he closer? I suspect his fondness for the countess will prevail in time however- though the healed duke may live long enough now for it not to matter.

Well, perhaps it's time to get rid of our dear Martha... And let's see which news the war brings to us...

I wonder if the English will be able to sustain the effort.

Also, getting rid of damnable priests is ok as long as you go on a penitent pilgrimage later. I'd pick Santiago de Compostela. A nice, long walk and I heard it's nice in summer.

de Valois suffered a defeat. Magnificent news. Hopefully there's more good news like this in the next update.

A murder? For moi? :eek:

Anyways, a bit dangerous of dear Jacques to write those things down in his journal. Let's hope he keeps it stashed away someplace safe.

And let's also hope that this will mean a turnaround of events, too. Though I wonder what Jacques will do once his goal of overthrowing the king is accomplished...

-----​

May 1st, Year of Our Lord 1338

The peasants do amuse themselves with the celebration of the arrival of summer. Their revelry continues regardless of the sullen grey skies and all day the castle courtyard has been thronged with drunken Bretons. The holy icons have been dusted down and paraded for all to see while the priests partake in the freely flowing ale. I understand that later a trope of third-rate travelling actors will perform a small miracle play. Certainly the high-life in Paris cannot match this excitement. De Pontchâteau must be in his element amongst such simple minded peons.

May 7th, Year of Our Lord 1338

Clearly the festivities of the past few days have been beneficial to the Duke's wellbeing as today marks his return to the saddle and the hunt. With a healthy complexion and ever increasing energy it appears as though my liege has been fully rejuvenated and restored to full vigour. All due to the power of prayer and piety… as Marthe never ceases to remind the court. A pity that my own prayers are not answered so rapidly.

The Duke's complete return to health is an ill omen for the Marshal and an inconvenience for myself. Already the old man demands regular updates as to the progress of the war in Aquitaine and I chaff somewhat at his constant need for oversight. Surely I am to be trusted in handling these affairs of state?

May 19th, Year of Our Lord 1338

I have received a letter of interest today from a well placed acquaintance in Flanders. Truth be told, I have never been particularly fond of Louis but there is little harm knowing wealthy and well connected persons. In this circumstance both adjectives are correct as not only is Louis de Gent the steward of Flanders but he also possesses a not inconsiderable trading business. The English send their wool across the Channel and Louis returns the ships full of fine cloth products. It is unfortunate that pirates do flourish in these times of war and more than one of his cargo vessels have been lost to these unscrupulous rogues. When this occurs I receive an anxious letter from Flanders imploring me to ensure that Brittany's ports are closed to such vile characters. I cannot help but feel that I am missing out on some lucrative venture.

LouisofGent.jpg

Louis de Gent: A miserable bugger

But my mind wanders and I digress. Commercial opportunities can wait for another day as for now I must document the latest development in Brittany's succession saga. Louis was so kind to inform me, no doubt expecting a favour with regards to curtailing piracy, that the Duke of Flanders has taken something of an interest in the affairs of Brittany. Beyond that Louis did not provide any details but I can draw my own conclusions and indeed I should have done so long ago.

Given that the Marshal's wife is none other than the sister of the Duke Flanders, Louis de Dampierre, it is only natural that he has an awareness of the crisis in this corner of the realm. Clearly he is no longer content with merely observing and is preparing to take a hand in events. De Gent did not say as much but surely de Dampierre would be a fool to allow this opportunity to pass. Flanders is not as isolated as Brittany, and is certainly no backwater, but like Brittany it is not entirely French. While nominally loyal to Paris, de Dampierre also has obligations to the Emperor to his East as well as business connections across the Channel. If he were to control, or at least influence, Brittany then it would greatly strengthen his own position along the northern sealine.

The interference of Flanders could change everything. Unless Jeanne de Dreux has a comparable ally…. These complications can wait. Tomorrow I must seek to contact these Channel pirates and devise a way to acquire a percentage of their profits.

June 2nd, Year of Our Lord 1338

Once again war reaches the borders of the Duchy. An English regiment, under the command of none other than Ralph de Ufford, has scattered the defenders around Poitiers and begun to invest the fortifications. The Duke has agreed to shelter the retreating Frankish soldiers but many local merchants are not so patriotic and currently a rush is underway to set up market at the English camp. It may be worthwhile to accompany one of these peddlers and observe the siege firsthand.

Nice to see that you haven't abandoned us.

I eagerly wait to see how things with Flanders develope.

Jacque's going on an expedition? Good times. The potential for Flemish intervention is not a welcome possibility, Jeanne must have an ally of equal strength, but with the war ongoingit is difficult to see who could be chosen that would not compromise Brittany as much as the Duke of Fanders.