• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Regarding Alexandria, our reputation and so forth. . .you are both right. I am intemperate in my old age. :p And I fully agree about watching the SLOW decline of our reputation back to a more positive level (at least below half). I suppose my only fear is that if we are not proactive at some level (as you propose dear Gandolfi, attempting to gain some defensive war or such), then we will one day find ourselves on the receiving end of a negative diplomatic situation. [ooc--plus, sometimes it seems like the AI avoids attacking humans like the plague unless you have a core, and thus we might find ourselves consigned to 300 more years of watching the paint dry on our many Governor houses--BB just takes so dang long to decline]

I suppose it is inevitable that we will merely see the swallowing up of Egypt by the OE, a force that we cannot easily oppose. Hmmm, 200,000 men? It would seem that they must have gained some manpower from those horrible poor provinces in the Balkans. Wow--and I wonder why we never acquired them for ourselves, to have something of a more equal footing in war? Oh wait, I remember from the records, we don't WANT those kinds of provinces with those kinds of people; better to let them serve in the vast armies of our enemies than actually be of use to the Republic. Plus, I suppose it makes our job of building a Republic that much harder, thus more fun for us, since we must be long since grown use to ease of merely overseeing our trading riches. No reason to make our job easier with more men, more trade/tax revenue, less enemy. None whatsoever. Hey, if we are lucky, we can wait on an attack from the infidel and he'll have 300,000 men under arms after taking Egypt. :cool:

Let's proceed with the elections before we fall asleep or the server collapses again.

I kindly remind you that Election 48b: Offensiveness Domestic policy, is still open. This decision will stick until the end of the game but I have only five votes so far. For something so important I would like to have as many votes as possible.

[size=+1]Please vote in Election 48b if you haven't done so yet.[/size]

[size=+1]Election 49. 1549-1559 International Situation[/size]

Please read the above discussions regarding Alexandria also if you haven't done so. It might be important for the discussed period.

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

Barbarigo.gif
Aureo Barbarigo​

Senators of the Serenissima Republic, honorable Doge,
with my father's mind getting clouded in his old age, you may have noted his absense during the meetings and debates during the last years, I will fill the seat of my family among you.
It's for the best that my father isn't here to introduce me, since we have very little in common. As the senior members here might recall he was a brave galley commander and soldier during his youth, placed in the Aegean during most of those years. Still, as has always been the case in my family, he was a member of the Golden Party, caring about the trade and his own income before the well-being of Venice. I have other views, and is firm believer in the ideas of the Blue Party.
Information about parties. Venice will prosper only with a large fleet and army. Venice should strive for military control before trading rights, and it needs colonies in the New World. Alas, the world of the old Roman Empire is not our world. That long ago, the Mediterranean was the world, now it is not. We have to look further! I still acknowledge the old objectives of uniting Italy and controlling the Greeks for further manpower. Still, while we keep those goals I think we should gain control over Alexandria before the Sultan does so, and get maps over the new world as soon as possible. Has the old idea of bribing Spanish nobles in the head of their administration proved itself impossible? If so, we have to get maps by force somehow.
Code:
Election 49.
F: Spain, Bulgaria, Savoy, Theodoros, 
DF: the Knights, Papal States, Hungary, Austria
A: Genoa, France, Burgundy
E: the Ottoman menace and suppressor of Greeks, the collapsing Egypt with the rich Alexandria,
    a country with good maps
policy: war

Leonardo Foscaro is clearly a sourcerer and should be exiled, or even executed.

Last edited:
trevisan2sz.gif

Noble Senators of our glorious Republic, most honorable Doge,

my family has long been silent in the matters of grand politics. We were concentrating upon our family business instead, which as you know is largely based upon the spice trade in Alexandria. But when I went to Alexandria last year to oversee our trade activities I had to notice the signs of decay of the Mameluk Empire, no doubt its days are counted and probably the Ottoman Empire will take over. But this must not be allowed! The Mameluks are infidels and thus will surely all go to hell, but at least they posed no threat to us and especially to our trade.
The Ottomans on the other hand have always been our mortal enemies and will always be. Their presence in Egypt would surely disrupt our trade, which is already not as profitable as it was in the days of our fathers and grandfathers. Therefore our family council decided that it was time for us to step back into politics and send me to take our rightful place as senator. Although we are interested in trade and prosperity, I am going to join the Blue Party because our trade interests can only be secured by aggressive means. I am in favor of a war against the Ottomans and think our goals should be to secure Egypt (at least Alexandria), liberate Serbia at the cost of OE (thus also losing that Kosovo province) and expand Bulgaria to at least Rumelia. These actions shouldn't affect our relations too much.
On another point I agree with Senator Cornaro that we should improve our relations with Oman so they might share their knowledge of the far lands of India with us. I met one of their merchants in Alexandria and though they are of course infidels, they seem to be quite reasonable.

Code:
Election 49
Dear friends:  Spain, Bulgaria, Theodoros
Friends:       Austria, Savoy, Papal States, Oman!
Adversaries:   Portugal, Egypt, Genoa
Enemies:       Ottoman Empire

WAR !

Regarding our military strategy I suggest a defensive stance because fortresses seem to be expanding more and more and we will need to keep up in this race by teaching our Commanders how to besiege those fortresses.

Code:
Election 48b
Defensive

Best Regards,
Senator Manolo Trevisan

[OOC: I love this BAR, read it in two days and am now eager to join the action. BTW good progress so far]

Last edited:
I officially welcome Senator Manolo Trevisan. It is always good to see the families of Venice take the effort to rule the Serenissima. Your proposal regarding Oman is certainly worth considering. It is said that the knowledge of both India and Africa by these daring seafarers is quite complete.

Senator Aureo Barbarigo,

The proposal of lavishly showering foreign monarchs to improve our relations with Spain and Eastern nations to obtain maps for our merchants has not been abandoned. However our agreed policies of maintaining a tight budget to control our inflation have not provided the necessary funds to implement it. Our meager treasure has been spent on approved policies except for the commissioning of four galleons for high seas navigation and Mediterranean domination. We have been also saving a little for the future appointment of Governors that should not delay much. As a consequence of that, our relations to Spain have actually decreased, but as long as our alliance holds, we are tolerating it for the time being.

Until Governors are appointed in all our provinces, we do not expect to have funds for diplomatic offensives. Apparently all the riches of Venice are in the hands of the noble families that control the provinces and the commerce, while little is left for the Government budget.

I eagerly await for the rest of the votes on the pending elections.

Doge Francesco Donà.

Respected Doge,
I am honoured you took your time to clarify the situation for me. I am young and can wait for the governors to be installed, and more funds freed. The economical policy laid down by the elders here have been wise and will grant us a stronger Venice in my lifetime.
If Oman knows a lot of the world we don't I wouldn't be against trying to buy their maps too when the time comes.

Your trusted,
Aureo Barbarigo

As Massimiliano Pesaro is still suffering from a riding accident, a servant dressed in the blue and yellow colours of his house presents the doge a sealed letter just a few minutes before the final vote on foreign policies.

Election 49
Dear Friends: Spain, Bulgaria, Papal States
Friends: Austria, Savoy, France, Theodorus
Adversaries: Egypt, Ottoman Empire
Enemies: Genoa

Peace!

Cornaro_G.gif

My dear Doge--please forgive my lateness of reply. Matters of increased importance have taken my attention with the Cornaro family. Over the weekend, I was impressed to travel abroad to Athens for family matters. All the while, many important issues here at home have kept my attention. Not only have emergencies emerged regarding my personal finances, but other work related issues have conspired to have me burning the late night oil in an attempt to maintain our present familia holdings. My 68 years of life seem more like 680 has I attempt to juggle far too many responsibilities. I truly fear that the exertion will be the end of me, but fortunately my youngest son Meryoni, who is now 39, (well, 38 but will be 39 in July of this year, 1549), is excited about a future where he controls the family reins.

However, while I have breath, I will cast this last vote, but then you must excuse an old man as he attempts to prevent personal disaster.

Election 49

DF: Spain, Bulgaria, Theodoros, Austria
F: the Knights, Papal States, Oman, France, Savoy
A: Genoa, Burgundy, Hungary
E: OE, Egypt

policy: peace, still for now

Greetings all, just a short note from me, Meryoni to explain something of our, ahem, MY FATHER'S vote. Currently, our Republic only has 68,000 troops under arms while we can support 95,000. This of course is a problem all to itself, but as the Doge said, we are somewhat strapped financially. But, regarding Loganni's call for peace all the while agreeing with the Barbarigo family--we cannot yet proceed with war while we are still 30,000 troops under the limit. Thus, it is our, uh, my father's opinion that we may still need another 10, if not 20, years of preparation to restore our military forces to a full state of readiness. Please do not read in this our family moving from our historic position of balance between the Blue and Golden Parties--we still believe in both and thus fully agree with the Doge that we must continue to prepare to place Governors (Dear Doge, I happen to know of a few good cousins and my own brother Marcus who would make excellent candidates!). It is unclear to me why we would be only third in the world in this important economic standing of our national infrastructure, so we should PREPARE for active engagement, but POSTPONE any war immediately (unless thrust upon us of course) and PROCEED with our plans--raise up governors, rebuild the army and then act with deciveness!

Sorry for not writing in character this time.

Code:
Election 49

DF: Spain, Theodoros, Austria
F: Bulgaria, Papal States
A: Genoa, Burgundy, Hungary, OE, France
E: Egypt

policy: peace, but if we are attacked don't hesitate to grab as much as possible

Election 49

DF Spain, Bulgaria, Theodoros, Austria
F Poland, Hungary, Genoa, Pope, Knights, Moldavia
Ad France, Burgundy, Portugal
En Ottomans, Egypt
WAR

To clarify, I support limited war to gain key provinces, eg Alexandria, if conditions are favorable. I would try to keep BB down below 50%

Cheers,

Ernesto Gandolfi II

Citizens of Venice

This most Serene Republic has withstood years of arrows and lead. Wars against the French and the Ottomans, constant danger from the Hungarians, the envy and plotting from the Genoese. For a long time we have discussed how to face those of our enemies that are more numerous and better trained that us. The most preclare leaders between us have argued if we should be offensive to defend us or if we should be defensive to attack our enemies. I know, it does not make sense to you, but that is because your simple upbringing does not put you on par with the members of the Maggiore Consiglio, that are the ones in charge of deciding for you this complicated matters.

Finally the Consiglio has reached a decision. By the smallest margin a conclusion has been set on stone. Venice is to be a defensive Republic. We will encroach ourselves in our fortifications and await, firm and resolute, the assault from the Turkish hordes.

I have recruited military engineers Giovanni Sammicheli, Ercole Martinengo, Giulio Savorgnan and Girolamo Maggi to help us learn the new ways to built ramparts and bastions so they are impervious to enemy cannons. We will learn what a ravelin is and how to build flankers to protect our walls from assaults.

A new edict has been issued also for the Consiglio. From now on any vote to increase our offensiveness will be considered nul or not valid, and will not be taken into consideration. As any policy in the Republic, it could be reviewed if a majority of the Consiglio decides it should be reviewed.

The next changes in our domestic policies will be:
1549: Decrease in offensiveness
1559: Decrease in offensiveness (offensive 2 will be reached, one more to go for the bonus)

Your Doge, Francesco Donà

Note: the result was a 4 to 3 vote. I would have preferred a more ample margin to any option, but 16 days have passed, so I have no hopes of raising more votes. Time to move on.

Senators,

Our secret decision on Election 49, International relations, is also ready:

Dear Friends: Spain (6/6 votes), Bulgaria (5/6 votes), Theodoros (5/6 votes)

Friends (with carry over): Papal States (6/6 votes), Austria (6/6 votes), Savoy (4/6 votes)

Adversaries (with carry over): Genoa (5/6 votes), Burgundy (4/6 votes)

Enemies: Ottoman Empire (4/6 votes), Egypt (4/6 votes)

Neither war no peace was decided since there was a tie on the issue. I will exert my judgement.

dogalshield.png
Noble Senators,

Forgive me for calling you to this unscheduled meeting in the middle of the night. As you may have guessed, most grave matters have arisen that require an urgent Council meeting.

But before we get into the problem, let's review the main events leading to the present situation. As you know I was chosen as your Doge from the ranks of the Golden Party because of my revolutionary program to appoint provveditores in all our provinces, to improve the living conditions of our subjects and to try to reduce our chronically high inflation, making more money available for the state treasury, through a better management of funds.

1549.jpg

This program has been a success, and as you know because many of your family members have been designated provveditores, through a tremendous effort that has increased our inflation to 12.5%, we have appointed governors in all our provinces for a total cost to the state of 2,886[,000] ducats.

1551b.jpg

But we were helped once again by our merchant families that were more than willing to raise funds for the state in exchange for the granting of monopolies.

1551.jpg

We will not comment much on the agressivity of Holy Roman Emperor Ferdinan Habsburg of Austria, who has decided to push his rights to the crown of Hungary, by means of war. In the last war, Odenburg and Presburg have been surrendered by Janos Zapolya to Ferdinand. To complicate matters for Hungary, Janos decided to convert his country to Protestantism after the loss of those two Catholic provinces, wrecking his alliances and stability. Hungary is with each passing year less of a threat to us, but his place is being quickly filled by Austria, who seems to have engaged in an expansion spree through agression to his weaker neighbors.

But we have our own rebel problems. First the Mantuans raised in arms when they learnt of the new provveditor appointed there, because a rumor spread that it would result in increased taxes. Massimo Pesaro was with his cavalry regiment in Lombardia, and his quick initiative allowed the dispersal of the Mantuan rebels before the province was looted, for which action he has recived praises from the Signoria.

1549b.jpg

More serious were the Tatar rebels that invaded Kerch from Azov and defeated Carmagnola's garrison of 5,000 men. Theodoros allowed Carmagnola's troops and Kerch Venetian elites to take refuge there under the terms of our military agreement, but refused to help with the problem. Since the rebel army was now encroached in the penninsula, we let our Greek Orthodox subjects suffer their siege, and when Kerch was taken and the rebel army moved on, Carmagnola returned and recovered Kerch from the rebel garrison.

1550b.jpg

Our recent decision to face the Turkish menace through an improvement in our defensive capabilities allowed the Signoria to reject the offer from a foreign drill instructor for 250[,000] ducats to improve our quality and our offensiveness. Too bad we did not get a similar offer from an Italian engineer that could direct the improvement of our defenses.

1552.jpg

And it is about the Turkish menace that we must debate. We have to decide how best face it. As you know, three years ago the relations between the Bey of the Mameluks and Ottoman Sultan Suleyman the Lawgiver deteriorated so much that the Ottoman Empire declared war to Egypt.

1550.jpg

It will not escape you that our commercial interests are at risk. Most of our spice, silk, and silver trade goes through Alexandria. Our relationship with the Mameluks is quite bad, but we have found a way to coexist, and no casus belli was available to us.

Our envoys watched in fascination and horror the advance of the Turkish tide, that province by province was conquering the weak Mameluk empire. First Nusayabbin, then Lebannon, Samaria, Judea, Jordan, Sinai. In just two years the janissaries were at the doors of Cairo.

1552b.jpg

The siege of Cairo was established nine months ago. Today a galley has arrived with the news that Cairo finally fell, and that the Bey of the Mameluks has been beheaded and the whole Mameluk empire is now part of the Ottoman Empire. Suleyman has secured 12 new provinces for him, and has now 31, and so is 5 provinces bigger than we are. Fear is already spreading through the North of Africa where more countries could surrender themselves to the Sultan, that had claimed the title of Caliph. The Knights of St. John, that control Tripolitana and Cyrenaica could find themselves in trouble.

1552c.jpg

We have now a casus belli for two years against the Ottoman Sultan for the absortion of Egypt. And we have to consider if we should declare war to him. Given that the matter was left undecided in the previous election (49, tie between war or peace), and since there is now ample time to respond, I am bringing the matter to the Council. If we decide to go to war we should do it in our own. Bulgaria has no armies and Spain is doubtful that would put much effort, as Carlos is not that interested in the Mediterranean. Besides we would have to expend between 300 and 500[,000] ducats on gifts to our allies so they would not simply dishonor our call to arms. Venice will have to face once more her nemesis alone, as her allies are unreliable.

We must discuss also the best ideas on how to procede if we decide to go to war. The Turkish army is 4 times bigger than ours, at over a quarter of a million men. With the same level of equipment (tech 12) and probably much better morale. It is also leaded by Suleyman himself, a mighty leader currently at Smyrna. Our only hope is that Ottoman European provinces are badly defended, as is Sochi, currently under siege by Uzbek armies. But this hope rests on our navy being able to defend three seas, the Mediterranean, the Aegean and the Black Sea, or the Turkish armies will conquer our islands and disembark in Greece, and we would lose the war.

And our navy is not as reliable as it used to be. Although better overall (naval tech 11 to their 9), that doesn't give us a decisive advantage (no CRT). The morale of our sailors is better, but the Turks can compensate that through their better admirals, the Turkish Salih Reis and Piri Reis, but especially the fearsome corsairs that join their navy, Dragut and the Calabrese renegade Uluj Ali. Also, although we have more galleys, they have about 4 modern warships for each of ours. We cannot rest on our laurels or we will lose the naval confrontation, and with it the war.

If war is aproved, we will have to mint liberally, increasing our inflation a minimum of 3% to pay for a profound program to enhance our military capability. Troops have to be recruited to the maximum support limit (50% increase) before the war, and even that will only bring them to one third the Ottoman forces. And during the war we will probably have to go over the support limit while we replace our loses. Also, as many warships as we can afford should be commisioned before war breaks. The gross of the galleys should defend the Agean straits, but we should have two squadrons of warships to quickly react to any naval maneuver by the Ottoman navy and to press on defeated retreating fleets. The Turks like to disembark troops in any undefended island or coast there is, no matter how far they are and warships are the only ships that can present a dynamic defense. This economic program only covers for the two years previous to the war and the first two years of war. After that, more troops and more inflation might be required to end the war.

We must assume that we cannot completely defeat the Ottomans. Not only are they much stronger than us, but it would be prohibitively expensive to destroy a quarter of a million men, even if we were capable of doing it. So we must aim to obtain a positive warscore as to secure what we want. For example, if Alexandria is our target, and presumibly is worth 30%, we need 81% victory to guarantee it, as the Ottoman sultan is notoriously difficult to bend over, and their offers are very likely to include a few wrong-religion, wrong-culture, poor Balkan provinces and no Alexandria.

My general strategy would be to start the war by invading and quickly covering Bosnia, Serbia, Wallachia, Transylvania, Rumelia, Dobrudja, Bujak and Sochi, stablishing 4 sieges and moving them succesively to take control of all. Meanwhile our navy would have to be able to stop the Turkish navy and prevent any landing anywhere. A lot easier said than done.

The presumible effect will be that the Turkish army will concentrate in Smyrna and Anatolia. A couple of years into the war, a very strong force with lots of artillery will be disembarked into Alexandria and/or other target/s designated by the senate. A siege in Alexandria will then have about 7 to 8 months to conquer the blockaded province, before the Turkish armies arrive in force and the siege has to be abandonned. If the Turkish armies leave Anatolia and Smyrna undefended, which I doubt, another front could then be stablished there. Another front could be considered in Trabzond, but the troops there would have to be evacuated if challenged. North African provinces West of Alexandria will be covered and put under siege for protection and warscore increase.

How much can we afford to win? Our reputation is rather bad (17.1/42). With the declaration of war it will dimminish slightly (-1), and one province can be obtained before we reach half-maximal disreputation. Of course we are still very far from maximal disreputation, so some senators might consider that the huge effort of a war against the Ottomans will be better compensated by more gains. Other senators might consider that it would be better to wait for a defensive war, that with the huge increase in strengh of the Ottoman empire, has now become more probable.

Continuing with the unjustified optimism, here is a list of the Ottoman provinces that hold some interest for us, and the reason why:

Alexandria: CoT
Smyrna: rich greek cultured
Trabzond: greek cultured
Cataract: Part of a path to the Red sea
Nile: Part of a path to the Red sea
Quattara: Land border with the Knights.

So it is time to decide:

[size=+1]Election 50. 1550s War against Ottomans[/size]

1. Declaration of war
A) Yes, we must destroy the Axis of Evil (TM).
B) No, we must learn to resolve our differences through dialogue, and only respond to agression.

2. Goals
A) Order your favorite 5 provinces by their value to us at the order that we should try to gain ownership of them. You are not limited to the list above and you can give any reason to convince others to vote like you.
B) Indicate how many provinces we should try to offensively gain.

3. Strategies and comments
Here you can give your own recipies or comment on mines. Agree or disgree with my analysis and with some of the things that are not being put to election, like the improvement of the army and navy, and the minting. You probably know better than me what to do. I am listening, and if I consider your ideas better than mine or enough people agree with your suggestions I will implement them.

Dona2.gif
Francesco Donà, LXXIX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1552. [No pic available]​

Note. The reports and summaries will be given in Dec 1553 so the schedule is maintained, but I will not stop the game then, and will continue until Dec 1558 unless an issue that requires Council decission comes up.

Last edited:
Honarable Doge,
I thank you for your detailed report, it was all I could ask for, and I see your tactic is a sensible one, using our strengths and exploiting the Sultans weak Balkan belly. But the hour is very late, and I'm not properly dressed! My limbs are trembling, from excitment or the chill air. I trust my two scribes have put it all down for me to read and ponder over. I will also seek the advise of a few persons who's judgment I trust very much. My heart joys and beat faster when I hear these news, but I shouldn't act in this agitated mood with my whole body shaking!
We are at the gates of Egypt. The question is, can we break them?
I beg you to wait for my answer.

Fellow Senators and Respected Doge,

Indeed we truly have the spirit of Romans. Our enemy outnumbers us 4 to 1 has better morale and we ask, should we attack. It is a fair question Senator Norrefeldt asks. Can we win? The Turk has become too powerful by far. It is clear we must break him at some point. The question is, is now the time? If our Captain General Fodoroni thinks we can win, and now is the best time, I say to war, and cripple our enemy while we can. If it is better to wait, and gain provinces at a reduced cost to reputation, I say wait. I would like to know Fodoroni's view before I vote. I am sure he knows more of the situation than any Senator can.

Ernesto Gandolfi II

Holland_t.png

Honourable Doge and respected senators,

My family has been silent for many years now. However on hearing the somewhat distressing news a preemptive strike on the mighty Ottoman Turks was being discussed I felt a great need to speak.
For many years now Venice has expanded and prospered greatly under the hand of many wise Doges including yourself. We are at the forefront of military technology and political affairs in Europe, but this prosperity has come at a price - we are surrounded and hated by many enemies.
I do not pretend that war with the Turk is avoidable, but to avoid our war mongering (bad boy) image increasing I propose we increase our military strength to support capacity only and wait. For I believe the Turk, fresh from his victory in the East, will be only to eager for more. As we are assuredly now his most hated enemy, he will turn his sword towards us soon enough. Therefore I propose -

Election 50 -

1 - B = wait for him to attack, then cut him asunder.

2 - A - Gain Alexandria, Smyrna - only (more wealth with less liability).

3 - Agree = Your strategy is impeccable, we are so fortunate to be blessed with such a wise Doge in these dark times.

Humbly - Daniele Barbaro

P.S. - Great AAR

Cornaro_G.gif

Did my great-grandfather Carlo not say this day would come? Imagine had we heeded his advice and removed the infidel from Europe; now we would have many of those thousands of troops at OUR disposal. Now we would not quail at facing him in our own backyard. Our ships would be able to protect us as the Straights. We would, we would. . . sigh, to speak more pains me far too much. Were your ancestors so short-sighted that they could not see this day? Perhaps the only positive is that their lands lay close to us to allow us to hopefully gain a quick and decisive victory in any war that comes our way. But, even then I am sure that most of you would loudly defame the conquered land as being "worthless" or "too poverty stricken" and miss the point of the gain---no infidel, a great Republic, more troops to defend us and fight alongside our sons, rather than it being JUST our sons.

What to do, what to do? We already know the answer my friends---we are NOT prepared for this moment. Our army stands at roughly 60,000 troops when we can easily support almost 100,000. We don't have the money now to easily raise the troops that we should already have. Are our lands properly defended with strong siege walls? Again, if not we don't have the resources to raise new stronger walls. Our navy is strong, but is it strong enough? Again, we do not have the money now.

Sigh---I am far too old for this now. I agree with Senator Gandolfi that we need a clear and farsighted picture from Capitano Fodoroni. I echo the call and will NOT vote till I hear from him. What I hear from the Doge has be seriously doubting the wisdom of attack at this moment. As I said when I voted last, we must use the time to prepare. With our troop strength as low as it is, I am surprised that we have not faced more war against us.

Doge, please call Fodoroni to the Senate for a report as Senator Gandolfi has stated.

Your humble servant all these many years, Loganni Cornaro

Our meetings are resumed after the fire that set our meeting chamber ablaze has been extinguished. Hopefully we will be able to continue discussing the vital question that affects us while the workers restaurate the hall.

I most warmly welcome Daniele Barbaro and the Prussian King to our session. Without doubt a crucial one.

Senators Barbarigo, Gandolfi and Cornaro have requested that our Capitano Generale Fodoroni explains his views on a possible war on the infidel. But before he is brought to you, there is one concern that I should respond. We are certainly not prepared for the war right now. The approval of an offensive war means that we will have to activate a program of rebuilding of our armed forces before we have the necessary funds in our treasury. The program will run for at least 4 years of increasing our inflation, and it will take at least 12 years to fully recover from it (0.75% inflation increase for 4 years, 0.25% inflation decrease for 12 years). With this program we would be fully armed and ready for the offensive in two years. Our armed forces will be at that point between one third and half of the Ottoman armed forces.

If we decide against taking the offensive, then we will still rearm ourselves over the next 20 years. The effect of an increased military might is also a reduction in the chances that we will be attacked. The enemy will not attack us when we are ready to defend ourselves.

Doge Francesco Donà

Dona2.gif
Francesco Donà, LXXIX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1552. [No pic available]​