• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[size=+1]1543 Report (December)[/size]

1543b.jpg

Economy
Stability +1
Stability cost = 930D/level
Treasury = 74D
Inflation 10.5%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1538    26
1543    26

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1538     219.50     259.08    42.5
1543     223.00     249.01    42.5

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1538      48.3     24.6      23.3     0.0     96.7       -7.6
1543      48.4     23.8      24.3     0.0     96.5       -7.6

44 merchants in CoTs (+4). 5.2 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 14-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 68% (first nation). Production efficiency is 56% (third nation)

National
Monarch Pietro Lando
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (6)
Military Average (6)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1500 +     1419 03 08 13 18 23 28 33 38 43
Aristocracy        4  3  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  4
Centralization     3  8  -  9  8  -  -  - 10  9
Innovative         4  5  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  8  -  -  -  -  -  7  -  -
Offensive          2  4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Land               2  1  -  -  -  0  -  -  -  -
Quality            6  8  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  7
Serfdom            4  1  -  -  -  0  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 11 + 85% (1547, 5%) [Bonus = 2D]
Naval 10 + 68% (1546, 20%) [Bonus = 2D]
Trade 5 + 77% (1554, 0%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 4 + 69% (1549, 75%) [No bonus]

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Kosovo, Macedonia & Kerch).

Military

Leaders:
Lomellini, Rear Admiral (Naval 3, 2, 3)
Grimani, Admiral (Naval 4, 4, 4)
Leonardo Foscolo, Field Marshal (Land 2, 3, 2, 1)

Army 31k infantry, 37k cavalry, 0 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 5.5 D/month
Army support limit = 92 000 (20 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D
Artillery 33D

Navy 9 warships, 87 galleys, 21 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 2.1 D/month
Navy support limit = 220
Cost of naval units:
warships 44D
Galleys 9D
Transports 13D

Manpower pool = 56 (27,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Spain, Bulgaria and Theodoros
Bad Boy 18.4/41 rather bad
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB: Golden Horde (April 1545)

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria

1543c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Spain RM MA, Bulgaria, Theodoros RM MA)
Genoa
Savoy MA (Scotland, Bavaria, Bayreuth, Brandenburg & Holstein)
North:
Switzerland
Danubian:
Austria MA
Hungary (Poland, Livonian Order, Denmark)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Moldavia
OE (Mughal Empire)
Mediterranean:
The Knights
Dulkadir
Black sea:
Uzbek (Golden Horde, Sibir, Chagatai Khanate, Egypt)
Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen
Other:
France (Burgundy)
Portugal

3) Vassalages:
Papal States and Bulgaria are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Austria and Genoa are vassals of Spain
Nubia is a vassal of Egypt
Hungary is a vassal of Poland
Scotland is a vassal of Savoy

4) Changes in our area:
Wallachia was annexed by Hungary
Austria inherited Bohemia
Egypt surrendered Georgia & Syria to Kara Koyunlu
Hungary surrendered Wallachia to Ottoman Empire

A personal letter to the doge:

Dear Pietro

Congratulations on you becoming the next doge, dear cousin. This will bring the family elders much happiness at the next family meeting, I would think. Also, even though I must admit I am quite jealous, I think you will become a great doge.
Please, do accept these compliments, and a personal gift of mine. As you know, I inherited a minor estate in the Veneto, only an hour or two on horseback from Venice herself. Well, it is now yours, as you as doge would probably need to have an estate close to the city, to make sure you can get back to Venice quickly. Myself, I will remain in the family resident in the city as I always had.
Once again, congratulations.

//your cousin, Leonardo

LandoHohenzollern.gif

aegandolfi said:
As an aside, I really think it is quite gamey to exploit the poor ai by never fighting a battle, and constantly running away. I also personally don't have the patience.
ag

Well, I don't retreat from most battles. Actually, because its the AI, I don't pay that much attention. I mean, I'm reading that AAR of Xhosa and that dude sends marching orders for ships and troops based on days and moments and the like. He's surely a much better expert than I; talk about not having the patience. :p But the point still remains that in this game, battles are almost insignificant to the warscore, a fact true to history. It is not till we get to the wars of the 20th century (perhaps 19th) that actually conquering towns and land becomes (perhaps) secondary to winning actual battles.

So, I don't see how its gamey to take the rules at their heart, as well as being as historical as possible, and play to that point. My armies won't run if they don't have to, but why sit there and watch the army be destroyed totally in a war when you can retreat and then move around the army? Perhaps their is some gameness in knowing the AI won't chase you like a human would, looking for the killing blow. In my current game as Saxony (started as Meissen, AGCEEP) I am basically Germany yet I had one single front with a massive OE (the certain "winner" of the game) and they had been able to convert all their forts to Massive, thus even though I was at seige bonus, I still was not able to move fast enough to evade their massive armies. But I did as I suggested above--I spent the money to get military access through Poland and Brandenberg in order to go after the OE's northern provinces (taken from Russia in war, never strongly fortified). I also fought a war with the Palanitinate and took their southern land (take from Austria long, long ago) to open a southern front with the OE. The next time they attacked, I was able to then send armies north and south to finally start winning the Warscore front and end the conflict with them (and take the German culture provinces they held!). I don't see how that is gamey, but just good strategy. Fodoron did precisely the same thing in how he handled France. You know yourself that eventually, either Burgundy or France would have reloaded and just send yet another large army and eventually, unless we spent equal money, we would have been overrun. By taking their land, we won. If we'd had the siege bonus, we would have taken those provinces earlier and perhaps even gotten out of the war earlier (saves us money longterm then in protecting stability vs. war exhaustion!).

I think it is PRECISELY your point that since we are NOT some giant with unlimited manpower and resources, we must be able to get in and out of war as fast as possible while winning. Taking the land, to me, is the cheapest and best way to do that.

Fodoron, did I simply miss the moment for Burgundy to be split between France and Austria? Isn't that a late 1400s, early 1500s event? Is it not happening due to Burgundy as Lord and France as vassal? I've been waiting, but obviously have missed the moment of choice for Burgundy. That will be quite significant to us if Burgundy is sticking around in her present size.

My friends, while we debate the direction of our military training, I do want to remind you that as we age and move on in life, our Republic will remain. Those who were before us gave us goals and dreams to pursue and we should keep those in mind as we consider the world. It has been 20+ years since we last added territory to our lands, not that we should now (I too voted for Peace in order to better our reputation), but I would caution us about growing unattentive to the world. We should always be looking for our moment to create success to our plans, rather than merely waiting on others to strike at us.

I mean, for now we are on track and hopeful to add governors to our provinces, a very worthy goal. And we do not have to plan to attack anyone any time soon. But if our goals remain to unify Italy (basically done) and free all Greek subjects (not yet), then planning and thought are required.

I suppose what I am trying to say is that I am fearful of our ancient enemy, the Turks. I am wondering more about trade and what Spain and Portugal are doing wherever in the world they happen to be. I am concerned about a growing menace to our north. I wonder about what the suddenly powerful Hapsburg rulers of Austria are up to, now currently the vassal of our ally, but for how long? In my family, we value being proactive rather then merely reactive.

carlec said:
Well, I don't retreat from most battles. Actually, because its the AI, I don't pay that much attention. I mean, I'm reading that AAR of Xhosa and that dude sends marching orders for ships and troops based on days and moments and the like. He's surely a much better expert than I; talk about not having the patience. :p But the point still remains that in this game, battles are almost insignificant to the warscore, a fact true to history. It is not till we get to the wars of the 20th century (perhaps 19th) that actually conquering towns and land becomes (perhaps) secondary to winning actual battles.

So, I don't see how its gamey to take the rules at their heart, as well as being as historical as possible, and play to that point.

Perhaps you're right. I guess I have just never played that way. I have always been a believer in the Napoleon/Patton/Guderian school of warfare. You know "fixed fortifications are a monument to the stupidity of man"

If it is actuall more historical to be defensive, it really won't bother me. I guess it really depends on how Fodoron likes to play, because I'm sure he'll beat the AI either way.

Fodoron, what is your preference?

AG

Is there some reason why you didn't keep asking Savoy for the RM? At relationship 0 there is basically no chance of success, but drive it down below -5 with a couple of failed requests and then they will accept. There are occasional refusals between -5 and -10 but between -10 and -150 they always accept.

Dear cousin Leonardo,

You really know how to compliment a family member. I gladly accept your present. I take the opportunity to mention that a vacant position in the Quarantia is open to you if you want it, and that the Bishopry of Friule has been decided in favor of your son Marco. Of course he will have to be ordained priest as soon as possible to take office, or the Pope will protest.

Pietro.

Dear members of the Council of Ten,

Inquisitore Barbarigo has brought a case of witchcraft to us. It appears that we have placed on command of our armies a powerful sorcerer that has come to us from future times.

I accuse Field Marshal Leonardo Foscalo of not belonging to our time, and of deals with the devil. Information confiscated to the accused proves that he will be provveditore of Dalmatia during a supposed war of Candia against the Turks that will take place in 1640. On command of a regiment of Dalmatian Schiavoni he will reconquer the fortress of Clissa (Klis) from the Turks, that was lost three years ago in the third war against the Turks and Spalato. He will be made Capitano generale in 1651, and almost will be elected Dogue by popular demand in 1656, but will be defeated by some Bertucci Valier who is not born yet.

velika_korcula_umjetnicka1.jpg

He will have an arch of trioumph at the city of Corzula (Kurcola) placed in the island of the same name that will be part of a country named Croatia, and a statue placed in some courtyard in Curzola when the government decided that paid officials should not have a statue. Of course none of this makes any sense, and it is clear that this mistake comes from a long time ago instead of the future.

Please indicate if you believe Leonardo Foscaro is guilty and should be burnt at the stake, or if he is innocent and should lead our armies to battle for some years. This is not an official election, and as such no minimum of votes or time is required.

For example:

Pietro Lando.

Dear Senator Cornaro,

Both Burgundy and Hungary have been able to withstand the tides of History. I have long argued about too much interference and meddling with things that we do not fully understand, and the result is that we live in irreal worlds. Nevertheless we are more than capable of correcting such aberrations ourselves and extend our light green color to the confines of the world.

Pietro Lando

---------------------

Dear The Arch Mede

No particular reason. I just thought that with a permanent CB on us it will drop quickly on its own and soon be negative enough to be able to get it.

I just feel bad when I ask someone to marry me and get turned down time after time. Something about self esteem :p

Pietro Lando

---------------------

Dear senator Gandolfi,

It does not matter to me. I have experimented both and each has advantages and disadvantages, but both work. Your previous line of thought is correct. If you think about preserving what we have, shock (offensive) will be advantageous as we will not be siegeing much. If you think about expanding our domains, siege (deffensive) will be advantageous, to break our enemies resistance.

Fodoroni

Last edited:
Dear doge

You are all too friendly. The position of bishop fits my son very well, for he has never been good with the ladies, though he tries all too much, and has been rumored to visit certain houses of joy in Venice. Bishopry, and celibacy for that matter, will perhaps straighten him out, and make him better his ways where his dear nanny failed in his uprising.
As for our dear general, who bears the same first name as I do incidently, I believe he is guilty, but that is no reason to have him beheaded, for he is useful to us anyway. Send him to church, make him better his ways, and have the pope forgive him of his sins (we have power enough to do that now, may I remind you), and have him back on the battlefield again!
I appologize if any of you gentlemen find my manner of language, as well as my points, offensive in this matter, but I have always found that politics are easier if you seperate it from religious matters.

//Leonardo Lando

LandoHohenzollern.gif

PS: Also, I gladly accpet your offer of a position in the quarantia. Thank you very much, and once again, congratulations, and I hope the estate is to your liking.

OOC: What is the quarantia anyway? =P

Pesaro.gif
Dear Senator Lando,

Let me congratulate you on your appointment for the Quarantia, our republic’s highest court. I’m sure you will fulfil your new duties with the same bravura, as you do with your current ones.

I would be glad to welcome you during the next weeks in my residence to celebrate your appointment. Maybe we could discuss this silly complaint of this silly Jewish moneylender on this occasion.

And, before I forget to mention it, the racing horses you bought last year just arrived in my estate a few days ago. They are among the best my family’s stud ever produced, and I would be honoured to present them to you personally.

With the best regards,

Massimiliano Pesaro

Dear mr Pesaro

I am honored by your offer, and gladly accept it. One can never have too many horses. :rolleyes:
I also accept your invitation. It will be an honor as well as a great oppurtunity to dicsuss matters man to man.

Sincerely

//Leonardo Lando

HoChiMinh said:
PS: Also, I gladly accpet your offer of a position in the quarantia. Thank you very much, and once again, congratulations, and I hope the estate is to your liking.

The Quarantia is more or less the High Court. I just posted a little more info here.

Last edited:
dogalshield.png
Esteemed Senators,

I would like to illustrate the geo-strategical situation of Europe to better understand the dangers that could come to our beloved Republic from our monarchic neighbors. From East to West we have first the Ottoman Empire. They hate us and believe they have the right to reclaim our lands in Greece. They will always be our enemies, as we are an obstacle to their domination of Europe. They keep expanding, and after the absorption of Wallachia they have annexed Dulkadir. They have now a land border with Egypt, and will probably expand there. The weakness of the Mameluks is extreme, and they just surrendered Cyrenaica to The Knights of St. John, together with 500[,000] ducats. Rebellions are commonplace in Egypt, and they are ripe for a take over by the Osmanli sultan.

Next comes Hungary. They are going through a bad period, and to their recent loses, they must add rebellion problems. But their suzerain, the king of Poland is helping them, and if they become weaker they could be absorbed by him.

Who says treason doesn't pay? After backstabbing Hungary in the middle of their war against the Ottomans and using rebels from within Hungary, Austria easily won ownership of Steiermark. Although being a vassal of Spain keeps her without allies, Austria seems to be poised for expansion, as they have several very weak neighbors.

The stupidity of Ireland has proved very costly for her former allies, and has played very well to Burgundy advantage. Burgundy has gained one province from Berg and another from Palatinate putting both at the brink of extinction. Sitting over some of the richest provinces of Europe, and with an unbeatable mixture of cultures, Burgundy is the number one country, and will clearly limit any expansion that Austria could achieve. Burgundy is the most dangerous neighbor in the world, but fortunately we don't have a land border with them.

At the backyard of Burgundy, her vassal France has no room to expand. They seem to have accepted that secondary role, and the real danger would be if they are annexed by Burgundy.

Our present ally, Spain is quite rich from her New World colonies, but she seems to be hurt in her manpower by the maiming of her Iberian territories by Portugal. She seems to be engaged in almost perpetual wars with the Zapotecs, unable to gain anything except money. Due to that, our alliance is proving quite stable, even if our relations drop continuously.

Portugal continues without allies, engaged in colonial wars. With a manpower more than double what she should have, and without European wars to damage their economy, Portugal seems to be profitting a lot.

So those are the elements of the main countries around us: Egypt loser, Ottoman Empire winner, Hungary loser, Austria winner, Burgundy winner, France loser, Spain loser, Portugal winner. Venice is obviously a winner.

1544.jpg

So what have we been doing in the past years? Our expensive conversion spree has been halted. Macedonians finally converted, but out of their own will, so we will never know if the money was well spent. Not that I complain, but expensive Kerch or low chance Kosovo would have been preferred for the self conversion event.

In the 1540s Venice was wrecked by a terrible economical crisis worsened by the expenses and outcome of the war against the Ottoman Empire. Prices were very stable during the Low Middle Ages and early Renaissance, but around 1520, the Central European silver mines, and the silver mines in the Ottoman Empire started to produce a lot more with new mines and improved methods of extraction. This coincided with a time when the Mameluks, that were heavy importers of European silver disappeared, and the Ottomans did not need silver, so Europe was flooded with the precious metal on which currency was based. To that, the Spaniards would add the Peruvian and Mexican silver from the 1570s. The result was that prices started to raise from the 1520s. Those that lived on agriculture or commerce fared better or even profited, but those on fixed wages impoverished terribly as although the wages increased, they could not keep up with the prices increase. It is known as the price revolution or the price-wage spiral. A lack of understanding of economy made everything worse. The crisis lasted for one hundred years affecting different countries in different times. Those that debased their currency significantly to reduce their loss of income, as Spain in the 1550s and the Ottoman Empire in the 1580s, fared worse as they exacerbated the problem.

In Venice the crisis had a military effect that already had taken place in Spain. It became impossible to support the wages of 150 rowers for each galley. The cost of a galley fleet became outrageous, and the pressing of conscripts was the only solution, albeit a temporary one. The drain of resources that a big galley fleet put on Spain and the Ottoman Empire was hard to swallow, but it was impossible for Venice. The Venetian solution was the storage of the fleet in the Arsenal, with cheaper periodic maintenance, for the time they were needed. But when at war, Venice was unable to support the war effort, and was desperate for peace. That was a serious Achilles' heel.

1545.jpg

The decision to pressgang is too obvious to call for an election, as the option of keeping the old system simply has no benefits (-50D, -2000 pop in Veneto). But the main promised reward, the increase in manpower, ended up being untrue as our manpower, both the one from adding all the provinces, and the final one are exactly the same as before. Nevertheless, the free galleys are worth 180[,000] ducats and the naval investment allowed us to reach the very important naval tech 11 (shipyards and increased chance for explorers). I predict that at the very most in twenty years we will be doing our own exploration. Of course, obtaining maps is still a worry, but being so close to governors means that in a few years we will have money for that.

1545b.jpg

Another pesky monastic order founder damaged our stability, as I defended the innovativeness of our Republic, since no senator has ever proposed to reduce it. As a consequence we had to invest in stability for one year, delaying our research once more.

And I must stop now, November 1545, as I am feeling kind of sick.

your Doge,

Lando2.gif
Pietro Lando, LXXVIII Dux Venetiarum. Nov. 1545. [No pic available]​

dogalshield.png
Noble Senators,

Pietro Lando never recovered, and I, Francesco Donà, have been chosen your new Dogue.

1545c.jpg

The commission in charge of the investigating the Dogueship of Pietro Lando has already found certain irregularities, and accusations of nepotism are already being debated. Leonardo Lando has been confirmed in the Quarantia, but the bishopry of Friule granted to Marco Lando has been revoked. He has been offered the bishopry of Nicosia in Cyprus. It has been determined that the estates presented to the Dogue where presented to the position, so they have been confiscated by the Council of Ten.

1546.jpg

Now, past those difficult and embarrassing decisions, we concentrate on the business of the Serenissima Repubblica. Over this period, 4 new warships have been commissioned for a total cost of 176[,000] ducats. We must prepare our fleet for the High Seas if we hope to compite with Portugal and Spain in global trade domination.

1547.jpg

The decision of saving money to appoint governors in all our provinces has not been completely successful, as our trade takes a lot of resources, due to stiff competition, and the high expenses of sending merchants to Alexandria, Samarkanda, Azerbajian, and Mascate. Despite our low stability we have managed to expand our trade nevertheless.

1548.jpg

The cost of stability has become a lot more reasonable, and now stays at 884[,000] ducats from a high point at 1,250[,000] ducats 25 years ago. Events usually push it down, as the plague of 1547, although a boundary dispute with Hungary allowed us to raise it at the cheap price of 75[,000] ducats improving our relations at the same time. Regretfully, Janos II Zapolya is a vassal of the king of Poland, so no royal marriage could be established. But the Duke of Savoy has reconsidered his previous rejection, and is offering one of his daughters for a royal marriage into our nobility. A volunteer for the royal marriage is therefore needed. The Duke has sent a picture of the bride to entice suitors:

goya.jpg

your Doge,

Dona2.gif
Francesco Donà, LXXIX Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1548. [No pic available]​

1544-1548 Account:

Year 1544
-Built 1 warship for 44D in Veneto
Conversion of heretics happened to us. Macedonia converted to Catholicism

Important international events nearby
Hungary surrendered Steiermark to Austria
Dulkadir annexionated by Ottoman Empire

Our diplomacy

Year 1545
Naval leaders Grimani and Lomellini died
Enforced galley service happened to us. We chose to pressgang, Manpower +2, Stab -1, +20 galleys, Naval investment +750 (vs. -50D, pop -2000 in Veneto)
Our naval technology reached 11 (Great Royal Wharf: shipyards)
Petition for a new religious order happened to us. We reminded prior of poverty vow, Stab -1, relation Papal States -25 (vs. Stab +1, -50D, Innovativeness -1, +1 missionary, relation Papal States +25)
Stability dropped to -1, investment shifted to stability.
Franco Donato became our new Dogue

Berg surrendered Munster to Burgundy

Our diplomacy

Year 1546
Stability rose to +0
Cessation of church functions to nobility happened to us. We declined, -5VP (+100D, tax value in Apulia -1)
Stability rose to +1, investment shifted to research

Egypt lost Cyrenaica to The Knights

Our diplomacy

Year 1547
Plague happened to us. Stab -1, lose pop in 4 provinces
Our land tech reached 12

Palatinate surrendered Pfalz to Burgundy

Our diplomacy

Year 1548
Boundary dispute with Hungary happened to us. We settled, Stab +1, -75D, relation +25 (vs. CB for 12 months, relation -25)

Our diplomacy
We entered a royal marriage with Savoy

[size=+1]1548 Report (December)[/size]

1548b.jpg

Economy
Stability +1
Stability cost = 884D/level
Treasury = 220D
Inflation 10.5%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1543    26
1548    26

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1543     223.00     249.01    42.5
1548     227.80     248.11    42.5

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1543      48.4     23.8      24.3     0.0     96.5       -7.6
1548      48.8     23.7      32.0     0.0    104.4       -8.2

52 merchants in CoTs (+8). 5.2 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 14-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 68% (first nation). Production efficiency is 54% (third nation)

National
Monarch Franco Donato
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Good (7)
Military Average (4)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1500 +     1419 03 08 13 18 23 28 33 38 43 48
Aristocracy        4  3  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  4  -
Centralization     3  8  -  9  8  -  -  - 10  9  -
Innovative         4  5  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  8  -  -  -  -  -  7  -  -  -
Offensive          2  4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Land               2  1  -  -  -  0  -  -  -  -  -
Quality            6  8  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  7  -
Serfdom            4  1  -  -  -  0  -  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 12 + 4% (1583, 5%) [Bonus = 2D]
Naval 11 + 41% (1556, 20%) [Bonus = 2D]
Trade 5 + 88% (1554, 0%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 4 + 94% (1549, 75%) [No bonus]

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Kosovo & Kerch).

Military

Leaders:

Army 31k infantry, 37k cavalry, 0 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 5.5 D/month
Army support limit = 95 000 (22 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D
Artillery 33D

Navy 13 warships, 107 galleys, 21 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 2.6 D/month
Navy support limit = 220
Cost of naval units:
warships 44D
Galleys 9D
Transports 13D

Manpower pool = 56 (27,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Spain, Bulgaria and Theodoros
Bad Boy 17.7/42 rather bad
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria

1548c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Spain RM MA, Bulgaria, Theodoros RM MA)
Genoa
Savoy MA (Scotland, Bavaria, Bayreuth, Brandenburg & Holstein)
North:
Switzerland
Danubian:
Austria MA
Hungary (Poland, Livonian Order, Denmark)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Moldavia
OE (Mughal Empire)
Mediterranean:
The Knights
Black sea:
Uzbek (Golden Horde, Sibir, Chagatai Khanate, Egypt)
Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen
Other:
France (Burgundy)
Portugal

3) Vassalages:
Papal States and Bulgaria are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Austria and Genoa are vassals of Spain
Nubia is a vassal of Egypt
Hungary is a vassal of Poland
Scotland is a vassal of Savoy

4) Changes in our area:
Hungary surrendered Steiermark to Austria
Dulkadir annexionated by Ottoman Empire
Berg surrendered Munster to Burgundy
Egypt surrendered Cyrenaica to The Knights
Palatinate surrendered Pfalz to Burgundy

Well I have lots of questions for you, my Doge. Perhaps (probably) I am slipping, but I notice lots of things that capture my attention in your report and via the map that are new or curious.

Is that Austria in the Crimea? How/when did that happen? That is very interesting for our future in that area. I would say that keeping strong positive relations with Austria is going to become even more important for us.

And, have they also expanded to the northern land of Alsace? If so, that places them near to Burgundy; are they friends? A war between those two could be in our best interest.

I usually have no complaints with your choices to the events that you face. It is challenging to be the executive leader in times like these. But, in the past few years, I have noticed that you have made some choices and defended your decision based solely on not wanting to impact Innovativeness. I'm not sure you can hold to such a tight rule, my Doge. At least as far as I'm concerned, I would think that in some instances, the loss of stability would be better to avoid. I mean, the various options that you face seem limitless, so it just seems that maintaining some flexibility is best. I don't remember voting to lock you into something like that. I'm sure you will always choose in our best interest in this regard and I appreciate your desire to only move the domestic issues as the Senate dictates, but when in the heat of a decision, I would be fearful of a poor (costly?) decision by you if you are forced to run by a hard rule based on what we have or have not voted in regard to the domestic positions. I think we all know that these issues are beyond your control and if a decision must be made that is generally positive, or at least better than the other bad choices, yet that choice means a domestic position changes slightly, well I want you to make the best decision for the Republic.

Internationally, I think we had better plan to face the Ottomans. They are certainly planning to face us. To that end, I think it is time we prepared to give them yet another front. I would prefer that we become the power that administrates the Center of Trade in Alexandria than the Ottomans. They already best us in manpower; we certainly do not need to find that they can close a critical tradeport to us. Look again at the map of the Doge. If we controlled both provinces on the mouth of the Nile, we would, in essence, have drawn a direct line of our land through the Med. Not only would this strengthen us economically, it would provide us yet another direction to confront the Ottomans when they come. Of course, I'd prefer NOT to have to declare war and take the relations hit, but I'm not sure of a way to beat them to this punch unless we strike ourselves. Maybe now, this moment, is not the right time, but we must know they will attempt to head west through North Africa. We had better be prepared to make our move.

I feel as if the past 40 years of peace (which is wonderful) has dulled our edge. Maybe I am wrong; maybe we can sit here and do nothing and the great powers will leave us alone, will fight only among themselves. Honestly, I am still stunned that we have held Kerch and no nation in that area has attempted to take that land. So, perhaps I am wrong about the Ottomans and others and we can just let life roll along.

But if I am right. . . Better us in Alexandria than the Ottomans!

Fellow Senators and Noble Doge,

I agree wholeheartedly with Senator Carlec that we should try to occupy Alexandria, as soon as practicable. I also agree on the need to push the Turks out of Europe. However, I must remind him of how long it took our reputation to recover from our last acquisitions, and also, how much our reputation effects our stability.

I think we should make every effort to get a rightful casus belli against Egypt and the Ottomans. Perhaps warnings are in order? Or are there any nations we could add to our alliance that may conflict with them. Perhaps the Knights, now that they hold Cyrenaica. Or Moldavia, since the Ottomans seem bent on expanding in that direction.

I will support any effort to invite a just war. But, in our current situation, I can not favor naked agression, even against the infidels.

Respectfully,

Ernesto Gandolfi II

Dear senator Cornaro,

It is quite normal to get confused, as so many things happen all the time. But I am happy to answer any questions so the senators can make the best choices.

Regarding Crimea, during a war between Russia and Poland, Theodoros surrendered Crimea to Bohemia in 1506. With the recent inheritance of Bohemia by Austria, Crimea has gone to Austria.

Regarding Alsace, it was ceded by Tyrol to Burgundy in 1469 by event. In 1509 Austria declared war to Baden, and with the annexation of Baden by Savoy the war alliance broke down. Despite Burgundy and France being stronger, Austria got an upper hand while they beated Savoy and gained Alsace. Savoy was about to give everything away, but in the end only surrendered Piemonte to France in 1514, triggering the Franco-Venetian wars of 1514 and 1520.

Burgundy has a badboy of 34 and awful relationships to everybody (-200) except France, that are best buddies. But a war between two heavy weights is not that likely, as they both prefer to attack suitable victims.

Regarding unexpected choices, I try to be conservative, so not to be accused of interventionism. If it is one of the agreed DP changes, then I am happy to take it, but if it has not been agreed and I can take the Stab hit like a man, I do it. Only when it is too painful I bend. Regarding Innovativeness I suppose most senators are happy with a compromise between stability and technology. Once we start colonizing I suppose some people might want to chose narrowminded, and perhaps others will not. So far nobody has asked for a change so I try to preserve the current situation.

I am very much on top of the voted long term policies of reuniting all italians under our banner, releasing Greeks from Turkish oppression, and seizing Alexandria, but if all but one senators declare they want peace, then peace it is. Perhaps it is the most convenient choice, as we are so close to Infra 5. You should know better than me. We just had a temporary CB against the Ottos when they swallowed Dulkadir, but they were not even in the enemies list.

Even with the peace clause, a CB against Egypt would have been brought to the council, as they did were in the hit list.

Obviously the annexation of Egypt would also give us a CB against the Ottos. I must say that they appear to have about 200,000 men right now. A war against them will not be a cakewalk. I sincerely doubt that Egypt will survive another 5 years, it might look terribly tempting to Suleyman, all those riches unguarded and with little shields on top.

I suppose this also adresses senator Gandolfi's concerns about a CB. A CB against Egypt looks unlikely as they haven't provided one in the last 100 years. We could incorporate The Knights to our alliance after a considerable expense, as we are not in good terms with their Great Master, but there is no guarantee that they will attack Egypt, and even if they do, Suleyman might not give them time. They must also have leaders from the Great Siege of 1565 (this is foretelling ;)) that could prove a problem if at war as allies.

As senator Gandolfi points out, it was voted to wait for a CB or a defensive war to take out Alexandria, although changing their mind is a senatorial priviledge.

I'll try to post the elections tomorrow. I will put a clause or two regarding Alexandria in the international relations election, but discussing it coul help other senators make up their minds.