• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Welcome to the Consiglio Maggiore, young senator Skina. We are always happy to see new faces in this senatorial chamber, as the burden of taking the decisions that will decide the destiny of our beloved Republic is a heavy one.

To ease your first days in this honorable chamber, I recommend you hear some advise here. As the introduction to the Consiglio Maggiore can be compared to an initiation rite, you are allowed to adopt one of the great families of Venice if you so desire, or keep your current name.

Morosini.gif

Noble Doge and You, noble senators!

You all know my family. Morosinis have been with you in a moments of glory and in a moments of decline. And now, when evil warmachine of treacherous French and Muslim dissenters stands at the gates of our splendid Republic, the time has come for my family to make yet another contribution to our common future. We decided to assign me, Francesco Morosini, to Consiglio Maggiore as an advisor and an overseer of your actions.

Morosinis want to be sure decisions that are to be taken in this chambers will make a good for the Republic and support it in promoting democratic values in distant lands (even if it will have to be done by force).

Thus I request the Blue Party's authorities to accept my application on joining it's ranks.

The Republic shall never fall.
Francesco Morosini

Last edited:
Barbarigo.gif
Aluysio Barbarigo​

Doge, during the last 5 years have spent 692.000 gold ducats of state funds for bribing officials in some key neighbours, with good result. The Consiglio voted for the same amount of money being spent on converting heretics to the true faith. Rumors tell me you are good at administrating these things too, and I would like to see more of it! This has become even more important in these times of schismatics in Europe.

You, and Fodorini, solved the last war with France splendidly. Our diplomats had the funds to prepare for it, and the outcome was very favourable. We are truly greatful for such servants.

Greetings to all new and old senators, how good it is to enjoy the peace and hold discussions here!

Last edited:
Yes, we welcome our two new senators. Great times await our Serenissima Repubblica with the incorporation of much needed new blood.

Thank you also senator Aluysio Barbarigo, for reminding the Doge of the important issues that must be dealt with, if war spares us for some time. Having secured some of our borders, I am sure we will be able to muster the necessary funds to convince our heretic subjects to give up the wrongful faith of their ancestors. I will certainly put all my administrative knowledge to the task.

Doge Andrea Gritti

Fellow Senators,

Greeting, I am Ernesto Gandolfi II. I beg pardon for my family's absence from the Senates. My uncle Eduardo is too old to travel, and there was much debate in my family over whether my father Ernesto (he of rebel smiting fame) would be able to adequately represent us. So, I have been delegated, despite my youth.

I am glad to see we have finally established a strong alliance. If Austria was to join there Habsburg cousins in our alliance, we would truly be mighty. I am also glad to see we have liberated the Piedmonte. It is the natural defensive line against France.

I humbly await my first opportunity to vote.

Regards,

Ernesto Gandolfi II

Noble Senators,
Honourable Doge,
Fellow Venetians,

At first, let me introduce myself. My name is Massimiliano Pesaro. As you all know, my family served our glorious republic fearless and faithfully during the last century, always content to follow the leadership of those of more prominent and older lineage.

But now, all, that our ancestors gained by their own blood and tears, is set at risk by the arrogance and insatiability of some few. Therefore, the Pesaro family decided to send me as its representative to the Consiglio Maggiore.

As I have just returned to Venice after overseeing my family’s business in Southern Italy for several years, I’ll first have to get myself acquainted with my new duties. But this won’t prevent me from inviting all members of The Golden Party to my family’s humble palace as soon as possible.

FondacoDeiTurchi.jpg

I’d like to finish this first address to the senate with my family’s motto:

Honeste Vivere Et Pie Mori

Massimiliano Pesaro

Last edited:
Cornaro_G.gif

As with the others, I add my welcome to all. What a lovely home dear Senator Massimiliano Pesaro. I am not affliated with either party (my family has maintained a neutral position for decades), but may I come to the affair?

If not, I do understand the secrecy of partisan discussions, but I would love to invite you to one of my families homes. Perhaps cousin Alvise will allow us out to his country estate? If not, my wife and I would love to entertain you at our new villa on the Grand Canal. Come and [post=4037045] look [/post] to ensure it meets with your approval.

Doge, any news that the newly larger Senate needs to speak to?

Loganni Cornaro, hoping for confirmation about the party---gotta love our Venetian parties!!! Met my wife at one--woo hoo!!! :p

[out of character--The Suebian, so great to see you and the others here. Your post was wonderful. Normally, though, we post all "flavor" stuff like random pictures or Venice history or the like in our sister thread, [thread=173861] Il Senato della Republica Venetiana: Collaborative AAR[/thread]. Again, your post here with the picture is perfect (to me) and appropriate as a welcome [hope I'm not talking too much here Fodoron?], but we've tried to keep this thread moving more in game, persuasion on votes and the like, while the sister thread is the flavor, pictures, more detail on the wars or special events and such. OK, on with the show.]

Greetings, honourable senators.
As you may know, the previous ambassador from Denmark to this great republic was a mysterious person, he only voted once in a while, and he nearly never posted in character, so therefore, the ambassador has been replaced by me, Knud Dante, I have lived in Venice for the last five years, and I have also had experience in the diplomatic affairs of Burgundy and France, but now, I am the new Ambassador to Venice.

Knud Dante,
Ambassador

Doge, do you have any information on how much new land Portugal and Spain has found in their western discoveries? They have encountered unchristian barbaric peoples I have heard, but what else is there? Perhaps some junior diplomats could be put to the task. If we find enough money to bribe some Spanish noble on the brink of ruin it could be worth it to get their maps?

With respect,
Aluysio Barbarigo

Noble Senators,
Honourable Doge,
Fellow Venetians,

Although new to this council, I have to agree with senator Barbarigo. My own agents in Lisbon report of the growing Portuguese spice trade and the revenues earned. I think we should participate in this new field of economy, especially as oversea engeagement will not disturb our relations with our neighbours any further.

Finally, I want to thank noble Senator Carnaro for his kind words. Of course I would be honoured to welcome you and your lovely wife in my family's residence. Greetings to cousin Alvine; his estates in Marche are not far from mine.

Regards,

Massimiliano Pesaro

[thanks again - I'll try to post the correct way in the correct thread next time :) ]

Last edited:
dogalshield.png
Dear Senators,

Finally we have been able to keep the Pax that our Consiglio so much desired. The end of the truces with the Ottoman Empire and France came and no hostilities were declared. Now that Francois has finally abandonned his folly claims over Milan perhaps we will be able to restore our relationships little by little.

1526.jpg

Following the desires of the Senate, missionaries have been sent to Albania and Macedonia. We were unable to raise funds for more religious campaigns, since the economy experts advice not to raise our inflation (10.5%) further. But our efforts did not go unnoticed, and the Ragusans decided to convert espontaneously. It is a great day indeed. The cost of converting Ragusa was of 326[,000] ducats for only a 53% chance, making the promediated cost 615[,000] ducats. A tax collector was appointed in Piemonte.

1525.jpg

One of our noble families has become extinct. I strongly advice you to encourage your sons and daughters to marry. Trying to maintain all the states joint under a single heir is very dangerous, as this case demonstrates. The Signoria has decided to take over the states of the Falisio family for economical reasons, and to discourage aristocratic concentration of power.

1525b.jpg

Again we have boundary problems with Bayreuth, that tiny country north of Bavaria. How do they draw their maps?. But it is a great oportunity to show our good will towards peaceful coexistance, increasing our stability for a symbolic cost (less than 4% its value).

On the international arena, King Lajos II of Hungary and Bohemia drowned himself, creating a serious problem, since he was too young to have heirs. Hungary decided to elect local Janos Zapolya as new king, but Ferdinand Habsburg of Austria, brother-in-law of Lajos contested the decision and declared war to Hungary. Then Ferdinand was elected king of Bohemia and entered alliance with the very same countries he was at war. And then Russia declared war to Poland, and Austria joined the countries she is at war with, into going to war against Russia. I just don't want to imagine what will happen when the armies of Austria enter a province were the armies of her vassal, ally and enemy Bohemia fight against his Russian enemy. Will they chose sides tossing a coin or will they wait to attack whoever wins? Finally the whole thing sorted itself out and Russia lost a province to Sweden. The alliance of Austria, Hungary, Bohemia, Poland, Livonian Order, Sweden and Brandenburg is indeed a mighty beast. I hope they don't cross our path. Austria is still a vassal of Spain. Speaking of whom, the Genoese have found a way to protect themselves from us. Seeing that now they are fully encircled by Venice, Andrea Doria decided to abandon their traditional alliance with the Kinghts of St. John, and give themselves to Holy Roman Emperor Carlos of Spain as vassals (event). Humiliating but cunning, as we cannot now vassalize them ourselves.

1527.jpg

An internal trade ordinance increased the tax value of Ionia and Romagna. Our economy recovers from the terrible events of the League of Cambrai.

1528.jpg

A certain Ignatius of Loyola came to us with a petition to establish a new religious order in Venice, called the Company of Jesus. We were certainly surprised, because we were asked to ponny up the money in exchange for very doubtful benefits, having also to become more narrowminded in our policies. This is clearly against the desires of the Senate, so we told this Ignatius to find himself another sponsor, while reminding him that a vow of poverty should not be accompanied by fundrising campaigns. Our vassal the Pope was mildly annoyed by our lack of cooperation, but since he already hates our guts, no big loss there(*).

Finally you will remember the promise I made in my first term. To equip our armies with the best technology available to face our numerous enemies in the field of battle. Well, I have delivered. Through a great and constant effort, all our troops have received not only the most modern arquebuses (Land 9), but also cool new blue uniforms (Land 11) that are the envy of most of our neighbors. We have joined the most advanced nations in military equipment, and we need to rethink if it is worth to continue with this focus, or we should shift to other also important matters. Allow me to remind you that our navy is probably unworthy of a Republic that calls herself the Queen of the Adriatic (Naval 6), specially if we want to explore uncharted seas, but improving our economy is always a wise choice.

your Doge,

Gritti2.gif
Andrea Gritti, LXXVII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1528.
77.jpg

(*) In another of the remarcable coincidences of our wonderful democratic enterprise, St. Ignatius of Loyola and his companions arrived to Venice in December 1536 during the Dogeship of Andrea Gritti. They wanted to fulfill their vow to visit Holy Land and had plans to take the pilgrims' galley. But Sultan Sulyman initiated the fourth Veneto-Turkis war of 1537-1540 and the travel to Holy Land was blocked. They stayed in Venice for another year, but seeing that the war would not finish soon, they proceeded to Rome, where in 1538 Ignatious met Papal aproval for his Society of Jesus, better known now as the Jesuits or the Company. If Ignatius would have asked Andrea Gritti for 50[,000] ducats for his order, as our event of 1528 suggests, he would have received the same response ;)

1524-1528 Account:

Year 1524
Our land level increased to 9

Important international events nearby
Teutonic order became Prussia

Our diplomacy

Year 1525
Missionary sent to Albania (157D, 60% chance)
Heirless noble dies happened to us. We chose to directly administrate, +30D tax value in Firenze +1 (vs. Stab +1, Aristocracy +1)
Boundary dispute with Bayreuth happened to us. We decided to settle, Stab +1, relation +25, -45D (vs. 24 month CB, relation -25, Stab -1)

Our diplomacy
Entered royal marriage with Bavaria

Year 1526
Tax collector built in Piamonte for 55D.
Our infrastructure level reached 4

Death of king Lajos. Bohemia became vassal of Austria

Our diplomacy

Year 1527
Internal trade ordinance happened to us, tax value in Ionia and Romagna +1
Stability rose to +3

Our diplomacy
Moldavia rejected royal marriage

Year 1528
Missionary sent to Macedonia (242D, 54% chance)
Our land technology reached 11
Petition for a new religious order happened to us, we chose to remind the prior of his vow of poverty, Stab -1, relation with Papal States -25 (vs. -50D, Stab +1, relation with Papal States +25, +1 missionary, Innovativeness -1 for option a, or Stab -2, relation with Papal States -100, -6 missionaries, Innovativeness +1 for option c)

Genoa became vassal of Spain

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1528 Report (December)[/size]

1528b.jpg

Economy
Stability +2
Stability cost = 1200D/level
Treasury = 154D
Inflation 10.5%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1518    25
1524    26
1528    26

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5
1524     209.30     218.92    37.5
1528     239.10     242.21    40.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2
1524      47.5     21.2      23.3     0.0     92.5       -8.0
1528      49.8     23.2      24.4     0.0     97.8       -8.0

46 merchants in CoTs (+2). 5.8 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 69% (first nation). Production efficiency is 53% (second nation, first at 54%)

National
Monarch Andrea Gritti
Military Average (5)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (6)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1500 +     1419 03 08 13 18 24 28
Aristocracy        4  3  -  -  -  -  -
Centralization     3  8  -  9  8  -  -
Innovative         4  5  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  8  -  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2  4  -  -  -  -  -
Land               2  1  -  -  -  0  -
Quality            6  8  -  -  -  -  -
Serfdom            4  1  -  -  -  0  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 11 + 12% (1532, 60%) [No bonus]
Naval 6 + 68% (1534, 5%) [Bonus = 10D]
Trade 5 + 18% (1614, 0%) [No bonus]
Infrastructure 4 + 7% (1564, 35%) [No bonus]

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Kosovo, Macedonia, Hellas, Kerch & Albania).

Military

Leaders:
Lomellini, Rear Admiral (Naval 3, 2, 3)
Grimani, Admiral (Naval 4, 4, 4)

Army 31k infantry, 42k cavalry, 0 artillery
maintenance cost at 50% is 6.0 D/month
Army support limit = 92 000 (21 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 18D
Cavalry 35D
Artillery 33D

Navy 8 warships, 87 galleys, 21 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 2.0 D/month
Navy support limit = 220
Cost of naval units:
warships 41D
Galleys 9D
Transports 13D

Manpower pool = 49 (24,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Spain and Bavaria
Bad Boy 20.2/40 rather bad
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Spain, Savoy, Bulgaria

1528c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Venice (Spain RM MA, Bavaria)
Genoa
Savoy RM MA (Switzerland & Scotland)
North:
Danubian:
Austria MA (Hungary Poland, Livonian Order, Bohemia, Sweden, Brandenburg)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bulgaria
Moldavia
OE (Mughal Empire, Wallachia)
Mediterranean:
The Knights
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen)
Black sea:
Theodoros RM MA
Uzbek (Golden Horde, Sibir, Chagatai Khanate)
Other:
France (Burgundy)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Papal States and Bulgaria are vassals of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Austria and Genoa are vassals of Spain
Bohemia is a vassal of Austria
Nubia is a vassal of Egypt

4) Changes in our area:
None

[size=+1]Election 43. 1529-1539 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

[size=+1]Election 44. Military research priorities[/size]

As we have reached Land level 11, it seems unwise to continue investing 60% of the budget in Land military technology for the next 20 years. Please decide:

1. Percentage of total investment that we should dedicate to land research in the next 20 years.
2. Percentage of total investment that we should dedicate to naval research in the next 20 years.

For example:
1. 0%. 2. 15%.
This indicates that of the total research budget, 0% goes to land and 15% goes to naval. The rest will be invested into reching Infra 5 as agreed before.

[size=+1]Election 45. Maps to know the world[/size]

Several senators have expressed their concern that our trade may decay due to other nations taking over the spice trade, and controling the exotic centers of trade. I do share such concern, but I need some guidance on how to proceed to gain knowledge of unknown seas:

1. I aprove attempts to buy maps from Spain
2. I aprove a military expedition to Lisbon
3. I aprove both, but the second only after failing with the first.

The Spanish and the Portuguese solutions are not incompatible and would give different maps. The first requires only money and luck. Regarding the second, it would prove expensive in stability and would rack some more BBs. Currently Portugal is not a member of any alliance since she dishonored our war against France. Spain would probably love to help us against Portugal, who currently helds five cores of Spain.

Last edited:
Senators

I believe in this republic as a great power, and I stand true to the belief of our greatness. My uncle may have spoken about peace and economical greathood, but I believe in Venice as a military power.
Therefore, I approve of a military expidition. It would be good for both us and Spain, and perhaps we could take the opportunity to capture Tangiers, to increase our control over the Mediterrenean.

Code:
2, I approve of war against Portugal

Furthermore, I believe in a good relationship with our allies, the Habsburgs, both in Austria and Spain, as well as Bavaria.
We should not however disregard Hungary, because they could be valuable allies against the Turks later.
France and Burgundy, as well as the before-mentioned Turks should be kept as our adverseries.
our enemies then, are Portugal and Egypt, for you haven't yet forgotten all about our plans for the Alexandria expedition, have you?
Code:
Dear friends: Austria, Spain, Bavaria
Friends: Hungary, Bulgaria (goes without saying, they are our vassals after all)
Adversaries: France, Burgundy, Ottoman Empire
Enemies: Portugal, Egypt
Warmonger clause: Yes

I suggest investing money into our navy. If we are going to go against Portugal and later invest in overseas colonies, that seems wise to me. The army should not be forsaken, however. I propose a budget plan like this:

Code:
Army: 5%
Navy: 20%

That is all I have to say to you gentlemen. Once again, I am honored by my acceptence into the senate, and also, I regret having to inform you that my uncle has lately become very sick. It is unsure wether he will sruvive the season.

//Leonardo Lando

Last edited:
Morosini.gif

Dear Senators! Comrades!

The power of our Republic lies neither in it's income nor it's army. The power of our Republic lies in it's people! People, who being true patriots and citizens, can sacrifice their lives for the values, the culture and the greatness of Venetian Republic. The Republic, which is our home.

That power should be nursed.

I have been to the war many times. We fought for our ideals, our judgements. It was a romantic war of romantic people. But in todays materialistic and ruthless world of humilitations, procurations and evil, there is only way to the power. It is the way of a bribery, trade and total warfare. Because the bribery results in the trade. And the trade results in the warfare.

We have already been to the devastating and cruel war. But let's do not forget, on no account do not forget, that the pain we felt, our enemies felt in a double! The humiliation we sensed, both dissenters and French scumbags sensed in a double. For we have fought for our destiny!

Brothers! I am calling you to the arms! Let's bring the eternal flame of war to the countries that dare to stand up against almight Republic! Brothers! Let us secure Mediterranean as our inner sea!

The Republic shall unite the whole Mediterranean under the banner of equality, justice and peace. Under the banner of a democracy.

The Republic shall never fall,
Gen. Francesco Morosini

43. Dear: Austria, Spain, Bavaria,
Friends: Bulgaria, Switzerland,
Adversaries: Portugal, Hungary, Egypt, Algier, Tunis, Maroco, the Papal States, Genoa,
Enemies: France, Savoy, Ottomans,
WAR.
44. Army: 10% Naval: 15%
45. 2

Last edited:
May I remind my dear senators of the important war clause (5) of election 43? This clause allows me to know if the senate desires war or peace.

If war is voted, we could declare war to any of our enemies if the conditions are right (CB, likelyhood of winning and worthy goals). Be careful that the enemies are decided in point (4) of the same election. You might however aprove the expedition to Lisbon and vote for peace, or you might vote for war only against a specific enemy and then it is considered a vote for peace against all others.

If you don't say anything, it is considered an abstention and the other senators will decide for you.

If you want to correct your ballot, just edit it.

Cornaro_G.gif

These are indeed heady times for our Republic. Let me remind ALL of the Senator's of our recent history and decision already voted on. We have all previously agreed that we MUST get our standing in good order. Already we have a poor reputation that is over half (thus, if I remember right, recall I am young, costs us MORE in stability) the limit of any virtuous Republic, thus we all agreed for Peace.

Of course, events can change our mind, but as we just heard from the Doge, there are large and ferocious alliances near us. No longer are there many small nations to take the attention of the major powers; instead their gaze turns to us, the jewel of the Med. Plus, did you not note that even small nations like Bayreuth are interested in us. It should be noted that our reputation is such that even in 5 years, our friends Spain and Austria grew cold towards us (review the last two diplomatic maps!).

No, Senators, war at this time would be unwise!

Election 43
1. Spain, Austria, Savoy, Bulgaria
2. France, Bavaria, Brandenberg, Poland, The Knights
3. Portugal, Ottoman Empire, Burgundy, Papal States, Genoa, Egypt
4. NONE--we MUST HAVE PEACE
5. PEACE!!

Remember about election 44, we decided in the last election to put 60% of total budget to MILITARY, not to land. So, in this vote, please remember that we had thought it best to increase land only to catch the others and then thought further research into economy was important. This election can add MORE to economy (ALWAYS GOOD). It would be my strong urging to drop military investment for now to VERY LOW.

Election 44
1. 0% for land
2. 20% for naval
That leaves the bulk for economy (trade and infra). Doge, your report states we have clearly reached Infra 4 and in our last vote, we were determined to move on to Infra 5, the ability to place very important Governors. Senators, again let me remind you that our Doge has reported our danger in inflation and that we are finding ourselves in a bind with regard to being able to mint freely for our needs. Imagine the terror of a war with the behomoth alliance of the north and then a war with our ancient enemy of the OE and us facing racing inflation unable to mint to protect ourselves! :eek: We MUST be forward thinking and place the bulk of our economy towards this critical accomplishment. So, Doge, though you didn't ask, the remainder of our money, in my vote 80%, must be placed into Infrastructure!

Ah, the dream of trade. I still agree with the far more Senior and wise Senator Barbarigo that we should go overland through Alexandria. We lost that vote in the long-term goals for Venice decision, but I am still eager for this new journey. Thus, I cannot see ANY reason (let alone the bad reputation issue mentioned above) to provoke Portugal. Perhaps we will find ourselves in a position to aid Spain in her own advance; then of course we should use the fortuitous moment to gain whatever maps the Portugeuse might have.

Election 45
1. Yes
2. No
3. No

On a personal note, I must mention the sad news that my grandfather finally passed on. Eduardo had reached the incredible age of 91 in 1525, but had been overcome with senility a few years before. On a happier note, my 2 daughters have both been pledged in marriage to wonderful noble families--one into the Memmo family and the other daughter happily into the Barbarigo family (obviously a step up for my daughter!). My two sons (the younger children of the family) are doing well in their lives---Marco Eduardo [named obviously for grandfather Eduardo and great-uncle Marco, father of Queen Caterina--those principly responsible for the addition of Crete, as I know you all remember] has recently married as well. Marco, probably as myself, shows little interest in politics but his younger brother, Meryoni has enjoyed long talks with me while we ride our horses around our country estate. As I age, I think he might become a wonderful addition to the Senate. Currently I am sending him to the Univeristy of Paris, more specifically La Sorbonne. He will focus on canon law. Perhaps over time, he will provide some healing for our family in regards to the ancient treachery of the Papal See.

Pesaro.gif
Noble Senators,
Honourable Doge,
Fellow Venetians,

Yes, the achievements our glorious republic stands for are worth defending them. But what do we mean, when we speak of these achievements? A pax venetiana, enforced upon the world by our weapons of war? To bring peace, justice and liberty to all of our Italian brothers, and maybe even to other nations, is a noble and worthy goal. But we won’t achieve it by unleashing the dogs of war again. The example we will give in the following years will decide, if the European nations – and therefore the entire world – will remember us as envious warmongers, or as the builders of a new, enlightened empire.
The wise one remembers our ancestor’s history. Even the Roman Empire wasn’t built in one day. Others achieved great victories in war too, but none speaks of them today. Let us learn, noble Senators. Let us be victorious in peace.

We should treat our old and trusted allies with the respect they deserve. But if this council should decide to participate in overseas activation, our interests will sooner or later collide with those of the Spaniards. Better relations with France would not only help securing our western border more effectively than all our troops can do, we could gain a future ally too.
On the matter of international affairs, I therefore vote:

Election 43:
1. Spain, Austria, Savoy
2. France, the Knights, Hungary
3. Ottoman Empire, Egypt
4. Genoa
5. Peace

Our nation’s wealth is built upon trade and it’s once mighty fleet.
On the matter of military budget, I therefore vote:

Election 44:
1. 05%
2. 20%
We should use the Lion of St. Mark's share to increase infrastructure, especially a more efficient and less corrupt administration of our colonies. Furthermore I advice to establish a monetary reserve of at least 200(000) ducats.

No one can say today with certainty, what impact the Spanish and Portuguese discoveries will have on our economy. But it is certain, that no harm will happen to us, if we participate peacefully in this great adventure.
On the matter of overseas expansion, I therefore vote:

Election 45:
1. Yes
2. No
3. No
Did we acquire maps of the Muslim countries to the east during our wars in Greece and against the Turks? Maybe we could trade them against the Spaniard’s discoveries.

Regards,

Massimiliano Pesaro

Last edited:
Morosini.gif

Senator Loganni Cornaro,

I, like other Morosinis, have always held Your family in very big esteem, senator Cornaro. Your father has fought by my side in the bloody wars with Ottoman dissenters. As well as your uncle has, who also saved my life after the battle of Macedonia. Maybe it shall sound like a sign of getting older, but I don't want those times to get back.

I don't want my fellow Venetians to suffer from a torch of war. I don't want them to lose their families, lives, possessions and hopes. But now, when our enemies have time to rebuild their strenghts, reorganize their armies, reform their economics, when they are getting stronger and stronger after each day of our dilatoriness, I can't look at it and do nothing. We have to use that vile powers are in crumbles and hit them one more time, hit them hard, and bring the liberty to its serfs.

We have to show our Venetian courage and unleash the dogs of war one more time. We have to stand up in a rank on the battlefield, stand one by one, and defend the values of our ancestors, brothers and descendants.

You speak of defending our values, senator Massimiliano Pesaor. You claim to be a devouted Venetian, but you reject the truth that is knocking to your doors. This war shall be a defensive war. Because if we don't attack them, they shall attack us in a convenient moment.

It is your choice, Venetians! Wait for them to bring the war to our lands, or take it to theirs.

The Republic shall never fall,
Gen. Francesco Morosini