• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

unmerged(18537)

First Lieutenant
Jul 30, 2003
www.geocities.jp
How to play HoI2 in Higher resolution

Some time ago, horgel@CK forum found the way to play CK in higher resolution and post the information in this thread.

I analyzed HoI2.exe and found the way to achieve the same goal.
This hack will force your HoI2 to run in 1280*1024 resolution. It'll provide temporary solution to those players who have diffculty playing HoI2 in 1024*768 resolution.

There is no warranty for damages caused by using this hack. You are forewarned that you might experience instability and inconvenience with your system by using this solution.

(a)Manual Patching
If you want to patch your exe by yourself, overwrite the given values by hex editor. Make sure the values are the same before overwriting.
Adress/value List for English Version

V1.0
-------------------
0x00234A14 04 to 05
0x00234A1E 03 to 04
0x002D306A 30 to 32
0x002D306B 34 to 38
0x002D306C 38 to 30

V1.1
-------------------
0x0023B688 04 to 05
0x0023B692 03 to 04
0x002DA17E 30 to 32
0x002DA17F 34 to 38
0x002DA180 38 to 30

V1.2
-------------------
0x00242108 04 to 05
0x00242112 03 to 04
0x002E1896 30 to 32
0x002E1897 34 to 38
0x002E1898 38 to 30

Though I didn't test it myself, you might be able to use the other resolution if you set other number to height/width and prepare appropriate bitmap file. At least you can do this with CK.

(b)Automated Patching
I created a generalized resolution patcher as well. Download it from the bottom link at my homepage. It can be used like PSSwitch(generalized tool which switch full screen/windowed mode).
Now you can change resolution to your choice with one of the tool in this package.

Known Problems
You'll get CTD upon loading a scenario/save if you set resolution to certain values and try to play in windowed mode.

As HoI2 is not designed to run in higher resolution, you'll notice some graphical glitches in the lower left corner and the right side of the screen while playing HoI2 in higher resolution.
You can remove them by resizing bitmap files. Read the following posts or illustated guide at my homepage.

Related thread

Last edited:
unknown said:
Some time ago, horgel@CK thread found the way to play CK in higher resolution and post the information in this thread.

I analyzed HoI2.exe and found the way to achieve the same goal.
This hack will force your HoI2 to run in 1280*1024 resolution. It'll provide temporary solution to those players who have diffculty playing HoI2 in 1024*768 resolution.

There is no warranty for damages caused by using this hack. You are forewarned that you might experience instability and inconvenience with your system by using this solution.

(a)Manual Patching
If you want to patch your exe by yourself, overwrite the given values by hex editor. Make sure the values are the same before overwriting.

Though I didn't test it myself, you might be able to use the other resolution if you set other number to height/width and prepare appropriate bitmap file. At least you can do this with CK.

(b)Automated Patching
I created a generalized resolution patcher as well. Download it from the bottom link at my homepage. It can be used like PSSwitch(generalized tool which switch full screen/windowed mode).

Known Problems
I experienced CTD when I tried to play in higher resolution w/ windowed mode (I'm using Logistec LCM-T173A/S). Maybe this hack won't work well with window mode hack.

up0083.png

up0084.png

As HoI2 is not designed to run in higher resolution, you'll notice some graphical glitches in the lower left corner and the right side of the screen while playing HoI2 in higher resolution.
Only those who don't mind the glitches or prefer glitches to flicker(?) caused by lower resolution should use the hack.

I think the official paradox line is that you shouldn't post the manual hack and only link to the automated one.

PM Johan for guidance please (or I'll have too ;) )

Derek Pullem said:
I think the official paradox line is that you shouldn't post the manual hack and only link to the automated one.

PM Johan for guidance please (or I'll have too )

I've never been asked for removing manual ones before. There're similar threads(eg. NTL, window) which contain manual hack info.
In any way, I'll ask Johan for guidance.

EDIT: I got Johan's reply. He said 'manual hack is ok'.

Last edited:
no artifacts

Hi in answer to your mod i tried to get rid of the artifacts in the lower left corner, I did this by changing a file called sidebar_bg.bmp.
so now you get a green background instead (better then the artifacts).
the file is located in \GFX\interface.

i could email the file to you, so you can post it together with your automated resolution changer.
I tested it, and i guess it works.

louis.s said:
Hi in answer to your mod i tried to get rid of the artifacts in the lower left corner, I did this by changing a file called sidebar_bg.bmp.
so now you get a green background instead (better then the artifacts).
the file is located in \GFX\interface.

Thank you for your information. I made black/transparent one and it seems fine (no more glitch in lower left corner).

I'll insert the alternate bmp file into the patcher later.

I released v0.20 , which includes additional tool that can change resolution to your choice.
You must use this one from DOS prompt and give 3 parameters(filename, width, and height).

Also, nice information from general discussioin board:
DaGrooved1 said:
If you want to improve the overall look of the 1280x1024 interface then go to
X:\Program Files\Paradox Interactive\Hearts of Iron 2\GFX\SKINS
Open a countries folder, and perform the following resizings, I use ifranview

Fullscreen.bmp - 1280 x 956
SideBarA.bmp - 256 x 956
TopBar.bmp - 1280 x 68

I backed up all the originals just in case.

I want to say thank you for this gift because it makes HOI2 so much more enjoyable for me

I still don't quite understand how to remove the anomaly on the bottom left of the screen, I'll be scouring for some clear instructions should they come, but I'm already much happier with HOI2 now it isn't blurry (or windowed and thus small)

cheers again - appreciated
f

To remove the anomaly you have to do that thing with resizing the skin files mentioned in the post just above yours. That extends the top and side bars to the edge of the screen, so the map is properly framed again. And resizing the fullscreen image also gets rid of that glitch with the tooltips remaining on screen.

From the Readme.txt
If HoI2 Resolution Changer works successfully, it will create backup file(s)
******.old (where ****** is the original file name) and then patch the target
module(s)

It appears to me that the .old is actually the modded file. .OLD should just be the original renamed .old but it appears to be copying the modded .exe and renaming it .old.

Nevertheless 1024.exe does produce a working pre modded version exe at 1024x768.

Unless the exe is modding the orig and makes a copy of the modded orig and notes changes and takes those changes away from modded old to produce the orig. But why cant you just make old old?

Last edited:
lilric27 said:
It appears to me that the .old is actually the modded file. .OLD should just be the original renamed .old but it appears to be copying the modded .exe and renaming it .old.

Unless the exe is modding the orig and makes a copy of the modded orig and notes changes and takes those changes away from modded old to produce the orig. But why cant you just make old old?

You're wrong. The programs copy given files with .old suffix before patching. Original means pre-patching. If you don't want to lose unmodded HoI2.exe, you may keep it by copying and renaming it like HoI2.exe.1.2 .

And I don't like to have, say, HoI2.exe.old.old.old.old.old in my folder. One generation of back up is enough to me. If you don't like my design policy, manually patching HoI2.exe, please. I posted all information needed and will add them for future enhancement as well (unless Johan'll say no, though).

Gwalcmai said:
To remove the anomaly you have to do that thing with resizing the skin files mentioned in the post just above yours.

Good advice thanks Gwalcmai

...No need to worry, anyone, about the resizing processing being too hard - I just downloaded irfanview free version at www.irfanview.com, loaded up each image into that and used the "Image - Resize/Resample" menu option to resize them as indicated above. (I turned aspect ratio off - don't know if that was necessary.) Total piece of cake and now HOI2 looks beaut in 1280x1024. Gotta do it for each country I play I guess but heck, it's 2 mins effort np :)

Thanks again Gwal, and of course unkn- unkn- ... (my favourite film)
f

Aspect ratio must be turned off, as 1280x1024 is not 4x3, but 5x4. 1280x960 is the "correct" 4x3 ratio. So the image will be slightly horizontally stretched, but this should not be noticable in-game as your monitor will have a slight deforming of all images in this resolution anyway. (except for laptops with a native 1280x1024 res of course!).

N!ghtY said:
I have problems getting 1280x800 to run though.
I can start up, choose the campaign, then on starting i see my modified load_1280 for half a second then the crash...

Any ideas?

It was reproduced with my environment, too. Though I'm not certain, possible source of the problems are
1) Your disply doesn't support the resolution or aspect ratio
2) HoI2 can't handle the resolution or aspect ratio

I had no problem with 1152x864(4:3), 1280*768(5:3), and 1280*960(4:3) but got CTD with 1160x870(4:3) and 1280x800(8:5).

May be it can be solved by further patching, but I'm reluctant to do more analysis with only disassembled code at hand.

ps.
Cay I entrust you to introduce the patch/knowhow at Stony Road?

What are the odds we can get an EU2 hack (for >1280x1024 res)?

jdrou said:
What are the odds we can get an EU2 hack (for >1280x1024 res)?

Almost 100% sure. To tell the truth, I've already found the way to change resolution of EU2 (and possibly HoI and VIC as well).

BUT, ironically, I have less choice of resolution to set. I succeeded in resizing EU2 to 1280x768 and 1280x960 but got CTD with 1152x864, which I had no problem with HoI2/CK.
I'll post related post at EU2 forum later.