• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Consiglio of the Serenissima republic,
it is my heavy duty as the widow of the beloved father and senator Pascal Barbarigo to inform that he yesterday pasted away after a ruptured bloodvessel in his brain. He suffered no more than I few hour of paralysis and agony before God admitted him into his eternal reign. His duties and role as paterfamilias will be taken over by Aluysio Barbarigo, eldest son of his first marriage, currently serving in our navy of the Aegean. He is in his strongest age, just over forthy, and very commited to his family and our republic. All his life he has spent on the sea, both as a captain of our merchant vessels, and under more warlike conditions. May God Pascal and his son.
The funeral will be a small family service, fitting this sinister times.

Colleta Barbarigo

Last edited:
Dear Colleta,

In the name of the Signoria, receive our most sincere condolences in the passing of our friend Pascal. I am sending notice to your sons of the bad news through the ministry of war. I must regret that the State is so depleted of funds that we cannot afford the construction of a suitable memorial monument at the burial site in the Barbarigo's chapel. I will make provisions for it when the Serenissima finds herself in a better economical situation.

Leonardo.

P.S. Although I am past my prime, since you are now a widow and I am a lifelong bachelor, would you care for some fine dining one of these nights? ;)

dogalshield.png
To the arms Senators,

We are being attacked Left and Right, North and South, East and West. Louis XII of France after extorting Piemonte from Savoy and gaining a land border to us, decided to press his claim on the Duchy of Milan citing his rights from his Visconti grandmother. With the support of Burgundy he assembled the biggest army that Italy has ever seen, and crossing the Alps marched on Milan. Over 70,000 French and over 40,000 Burgundians oppose our paltry 45,000 soldiers.

1514.jpg

The problem is not France, since we could deal with Louis without sweating too much. The problem is Burgundy, that rogue estate with a terrible reputation and a Land technology of 9 compared to our 5. We just could not win any land battle against them. Not surprisingly, since we usually don't win land battles against rivals of our own technology level. On top of that the French navy was nowhere to be seen, complicating the possibility of inflicting defeats on the enemy to force them to the peace table.

Because our survival was at stake, we were forced to mint liberally, under fear not just of the inevitable defeat, but of vultures joining the fray if our military strength got reduced. Fodoroni will tell you soon how he managed to obtain a temporary advantage of a 10% over the enemy alliance, and how Louis sternly refused to concede a white truce. Finally I was forced to buy peace by paying France and Burgundy 100 ducats in war indemnities. I am quite sure that when the truce expires in 1520, they will be knocking at our door asking for more.

1515.jpg

We settled a boundary dispute with Bayreuth because we ignored we had a boundary with Bayreuth. We don't even exactly know where they are anyway, and we could need anything except another war right now.

1515b.jpg

The Crowns of Aragon and Castile are now united under Charles, King of Spain. We nicked Siena, Sardinia and Malta from Aragon just on time. Charles maintains the neutral relationship of his grandmother Isabel instead of the hatred that his grandfather Fernando had for us. We also have now military access to the provinces of Rousillon and Gascogne that would have been invaluable in our war against Louis of France.

1516.jpg

No sooner had we annexed Albania, after the war, when the new king Francois I of France sent an embassy to the Porte and was able to convince Sultan Selim I the Grim to declare war to us to prevent us from recovering our strength. This unholy alliance between the Most Christian King and the Enemy of Christendom with the purpose of destroying us, took us completely off-guard.

1516b.jpg

We took a severe beating by the Ottomans. Their Janissaries quickly assaulted and conquered Kerch, disembarked by surprise in Corfu, and inflicted many defeats to our small forces in Greece. Fodoroni will tell you about it. But the negative warscore reached -16%. Thanks to our navy, and after a great sacrifice paid in blood by our galley crews and sopracomitos, we were able to turn the tide and stop the Turkish invasion before it reached Venice herself.

1516c.jpg

Our new citizens in Albania joined our army with enthusiasm, but they forgot the everlasting rebels camped at the doors of Durrës and were humiliatingly defeated by the rebels before joining our Greek forces. During these years we have not had the spare armies to deal with the Albanian rebels. But I will humbly request the senators of this most noble Consigglio to stop killing each other in the middle of a war. That certainly does not help the cause. Does anybody know who was the one killed? I haven't seen senator Delfino in a while.

1517.jpg

More liberal minting was required to hold the hordes at bay, we are quickly approaching a 10% inflation, but we are fighting vastly superior enemies both in quantity and quality. We are still at war with Selim, but now our warscore is a positive 21%, since we hold six of the Ottomans seven European provinces.

1518.jpg

We don't have time to deal with the problems between the Papacy and the German Christians, but we are glad we can now demonstrate more tolerance towards our Orthodox subjects that were showing some unrest due to our low stability and prolonged wars.

1518b.jpg

Given that our navy saved our collective butts from the so inclined Turks, the Signoria has decided to undergo a complete reformation of the Arsenal to enhance the fighting capability of our Ducal Navy, the vertebrate column of the Serenissima Repubblica.

It is time the Senate decides what we should do with the Turks. You can say I am paranoid, but I believe Hungary could be the next to declare war to us before the French are ready for the next round. Our Republic cannot hope to defend herself for very long against the members of this league of Cambrei. Perhaps our diplomats should receive instructions to break the league or to bring some help to defend at least one of our flanks. A meeting will soon be held to decide on these issues.

In our darkest hour, your scared Doge,

Loredano2.gif
Leonardo Loredano, LXXV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1518.
75.jpg

Last edited:
Dear Leonardo,

I am most flattered by your invitation to dine, and will gladly do so after the mourning period. While my grief is great I am very much frightened by the prospect of continuing my life here. After all, as Pascal's second wife I am even junior to the wife of Aluysio. I fear I will be very badly treated here, since I am not as noble as she is.

Colleta.

[size=+1]Election 40. 1518 League of Cambrei crisis[/size]

We seem to have entered what is called bb wars (not BB wars). We have made ourselves a tempting target by our size/armies high ratio, our lack of allies and our high BB rating. The high level of agression that we set at the beginning helps also. All our big neighbors seem to be taking turns at attacking us, and they could very well start attacking us simultaneously. How are we going to face it?

1) Alliance:

A. Enter an alliance
B. Form our own alliance (right now only Switzerland and Moldavia are available)

2) If 1A is decided choose your favourite alliance:

A. The Iberians (Spain, Portugal, Palatinate, Bavaria and Berg). Advantages: already fair relationship to leader (Spain), and opens a second front to France. Should be relatively tough and dissuasory. Disadvantages: Not very useful in Central Europe and useless in Eastern Europe.

B. Burgundy (leader) and France. Advantages: If you cannot defeat your enemy, join him. Very strong and takes care of the Iberians and Central Europe. Disadvantages: terrible reputation and always fighting.

C. The Austrian alliance (Savoy [leader], Denmark, Scotland, Austria, Meissen and Brandenburg). Advantages: Well positioned and with a probable great future. Disadvantages: Not very strong and too diverse, with wars all over Europe.

D. The Hungarian alliance (Hungary [leader], Poland, Livonian Order, Bohemia and Sweden). Advantages: Quite strong and takes care of the European Turks and most of the Austrian alliance. Disadvantages: Uncertain future, constant wars with Russia and also too diverse.

I am purposely not proposing the Turks as allies as it appears to have only disadvantages excep for deterring their agression, and is seen as unholy by most senators, as indicated by our long term goals. Nevertheless you are welcome to indicate them if you want them.

3) The Veneto-Turkish war part 1.

I recommend you read all the parts before you start answering.

The situation is as follows:
They hold control of Kerch. We hold control of Bosnia, Serbia, Bulgaria, Rumelia, Dobrudja, and Bujak. The warscore is favorable to us by +21%. We have been at war for 2 years and 3 months. Their army in Smyrna is 106,000 men. They also have 7,000 men in Kerch. We have about 60,000 men, of them 45,000 cavalry. We have two military choices, choose one of the following:

A. Continue fighting to improve the warscore. This might cost quite a lot of money that should be obtained through more minting (now at 9.3% inflation), but this is the only way to get what we want. More on that later. Consider that some other nation might DoW us in the meantime.

B. Call it quits. Sue for peace by holding pretty and trying to get what our warscore entitles us. More on that later.

4) The Veneto-Turkish war part 2.

Right now our warscore probably entitles us to one province or some money, although we could be offered more.If we continue fighting there are several things that could constitute our goal, choose your favourite:

A. Recover Kerch to significantly improve our warscore. Sochi could also be conquered. Estimations: Difficulty: medium. Expense: low. Time: medium to long.

B. Destroy the Turkish armies and conquer enough to reach a 99% warscore. Estimations: Difficulty: hard. Expense: high. Time: very long.

5) The Veneto-Turkish war part 3.

What do we want to get from this war. The Ottoman empire holds two provinces of greek culture, orthodox Trabzon and Sunni Smyrna. All the rest are wrong religion-wrong culture. Together with the previous decisions, this will decide how to procede. Pick your choice:

A. Get some cash and nothing else.

B. Request or accept some of the provinces we hold and release as a vassal. The possibilities are:

Kingdom of Bosnia: Bosnia
Kingdom of Serbia: Serbia (Kosovo, Banat)
Kingdom of Bulgaria: Bulgaria + Rumelia (Dobrudja, Macedonia)

C. Request or accept the following provinces we hold to keep for ourselves (specify province/s if Yes)

D. This is a good oportunity to liberate the Greeks. Conquer and request Trabzon and Smyrna.

E. At a reduced BB cost grab as much land as possible. Accept the best Ottoman offer.

[size=+1]Election 41. 1519-1529 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

Election 40 will decide if we enter an alliance, but that does not preclude to expend money on dear friends to make them stop attacking us.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

[size=+1]Election 42. 1519-1549 Economic and research priorities[/size]

1. Treasure expenditure

Order the following items according to your priorities for 1519-1549 Venice. We will be more inclined to save or mint for the top choices. Obviously other factors affect, and no conversions will be attempted unless reasonable ADM value of monarch.

-Merchants
-Conversions
-Manufactories
-Promotion of Chief judges (TCs are automatic as soon as we get the money)
-Diplomatic gifts

2. Military research.

I have reworked this election to produce more consistent results. We are now at land level 6 and naval level 6. Indicate:

A. Percentage of total investment that we should dedicate to military research in the next 30 years.

B. Percentage of total investment that we should dedicate to land military research (naval is the rest).

For example:
2. A, 25%. B, 15%.
This indicates that of the total research budget, 15% goes to land and 10% goes to naval.

3. Civilian research.

We are now at Trade level 5.06 (decimal indicates percentage of next level) and Infrastructure level 3.88. We are investing it all in Infra. After we reach Infra 4, indicate the next two levels that we should pursue in order.

For example:
3. Infra 5, Trade 6.
This indicates that after reaching Infra 4 we should proceed to Infra 5, and after reaching Infra 5 we should proceed to Trade 6.

Leonardo Loredano,
Fighting have been fierce, worse than everything I have seen before. The constant raids and difficult landings have taken it's toll on the galleys and their crews. More funds to our naval forces are urgently needed, we cannot lose the sea to the infidel!
I have been asked to cast the votes for my family, after my father died.
Aluysio Barbarigo.

Code:
Election 40.
1. B
2. A (Iberians)
3. B
4. A
5. B (If we create our own alliance, otherwise A. The country is less important.)

Code:
Election 41.
DF: Switzerland, Spain, Portugal, Austria
F: France, Theodoro, Savoy, Knights, Moldavia, Wallachia, Hungary
A: Genoa, Egypt, Ottomans
E: -
 Peace

Code:
Election 42.
1. Merchants, Conversions, Manufactories, Diplomatic gifts, Promotion of Chief judges
	A. 60%
	B. 100%
3. Infra 5, Trade 6.

Judges should only be appointed in provinces with really large populations, since they give the largest income from there. Our normal legal system should be enough for the rest.

Last edited:
Fellow Senators,

What I have feared has come to pass. We must end these wars, and gain allies to fortify our position, and improve our land forces.

Election 40
1. A. Enter an Alliance.
2. C (Savoy 1rst choice), A (Spain 2nd choice)
3. B
4. A
5. E

Election 41
1. Dear friends: Savoy, Austria, Spain
2. Friends: Knights, Papacy, Portugal, Bavaria, Moldavia
3. Adversaries: Genoa, Hungary
4. Enemies: Ottomans, Egypt
5. Peace

Election 42
1. Merchants, Dip. Gifts, Conversions, Manus, Promotions
2. A. 50%, B. 50%
3. Infra 5, then 100% to military.

Regards,

Eduardo Gandolfi

Dear doge, fellow senators.
Once again I must regretably write to you instead of taking part of the elections in person, you see I have inherited a small estate in Tyrol, a mile or so from our border, and I am now forced to travel to my estate to investigate it and celebrate its inherentence to me.
As for the purposed alliance, I say yes, we must enter one. And what alliance is better, than one with our friends to the north? Yes, I believe we should join the Austrian alliance, and do something about the infernal French.
Code:
Alliance
1. A
2. C
About the war, I must inform you that I am no military expert, however I feel we could take this as an oppurtinity to free parts of the balkans from the turks agian. I believe we should liberate the Bulgarians from the Turkish oppression. It will be good for our economy (they will give us money after all) and would better our reputation. However I don't want to see a long war. We shoud liberate our colonies once again and then end the war.
Code:
War
1. A
2. A
3. B
(Bulgaria, and preferrably the larger one with Dobrudja and Macedonia as well, and I am aware that we hold Macedonia, but I see no problem in giving it away, as long as we get to keep Byzantinum).
As for the diplomatic and economic issues, I will give you my opinions on these questions at a later date, when I have returned to Venice. For now, go with God.

///best regards, Giovanni Lando

LandoHohenzollern.gif

Dekessey said:
This AAR is... simply crazy.

;)

Look here if you care to join us.

It is very easy to participate and we are very easy-going.

HoChiMinh said:
As for the purposed alliance, I say yes, we must enter one. And what alliance is better, than one with our friends to the north? Yes, I believe we should join the Austrian alliance, and do something about the infernal French.

I'm asked to reply on this for the Barbarigo family, being a friend of Aluysio for over twenty years. The reason he voted for the Spanish alliance are several. They are as good friends to us as Austra are, so the cost will be about the same to convince them. They have much fewer neighbours than Austria have, and they have maps for our pilots. Hence, the money spent for making us able to enter their alliance will serve the purpose of buying their maps eventually. They have a much stronger military than Austria, with conciderably better leaders.
Angelo Sanuto

Election 39: Longterm goals for Venice is closed.

This are the results: 8 votes, máximum number of points +32, minimum number of points -24.

Adopted policies:
+17 points Option B: Free all Greeks from Ottoman slavery
+8 points Option A: Dominate all Italian Land

Rejected policies:
+6 points Option F: We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years
-4 points Option D: Obtain possession of Alexandria
-9 points Option C: Drive away the Ottomans from Balkans
-24 points Option E: Obtain possession of Tyrol

You can read Fodoroni's account of the war against France and Burgundy, and the war against the Ottoman empire here. It includes a lenghy tale on the naval battle of Skyros ;)

1514-1518 Account:

Year 1514
-Tax collector promoted in Sardinia
France & Burgundy declared war to Venice

Important international events nearby
Savoy surrendered Piemonte to France

Our diplomacy
-Sent 38D personal gift to Albania, relations improved by +36 to +162

Year 1515
Land level 6 was reached
Bartolomeo d'Alviano, land leader died.
Lucio Malvezzo, land leader died.
Boundary dispute happened to us, we chose to settle with Bayreuth, -100D, +1 Stab, +25 relation (vs. CB and worsened relations)

Our diplomacy
France rejected our white peace offer (warscore +9%)
France rejected our white peace offer (warscore +10%)
France accepted peace in exchange for 100D paid by us (14% offer)

Year 1516
Albania accepted our annexation proposal
Ottoman empire, Dulkadir & Mughal empire declared war to us
Enthusiasm for the army happened to us. +5000 inf. in Albania

Hungarian alliance DoW Moldavia, who is also at war with the Ottoman empire alliance.
Spain inherited Aragon
Moldavia surrendered Transylvania to Ottoman empire

Our diplomacy
-Sent 38D personal gift to Albania, relations improved by +48 to +200
Renewed royal marriage with Savoy

Year 1517
Assesination of noble happened to us (-1 stab)

Moldavia surrendered Ukraina to Poland
Spain granted Tripoli to the Knights of St. John by event.

Our diplomacy

Year 1518
Reformation happened to everybody. We increased tolerance for Catholics and Orthodox to 100%, and 0% for the rest.
Reformation of the navy happened to us (naval investment +750)
Naval level 6 was reached

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1518 Report (December)[/size]

1518c.jpg

Economy
Stability 0
Stability cost = 1156D/level
Treasury = 328D
Inflation 9.3%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1513    24
1518    25

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1513     193.25     207.85    33.8
1518     199.73     206.22    34.5

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1513      43.3     20.3      20.2     0.0     84.3       -6.9
1518      38.7     21.1      17.9     0.0     79.2       -8.2

37 merchants in CoTs (-5). 3.8 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 68% (first nation). Production efficiency is 47% (fourth nation, first at 50%)

National
Monarch Leonardo Loredano
Military Average (5)
Administrative Average (5)
Diplomacy Good (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1500 +     1419 03 08 13 18
Aristocracy        4  3  -  -  -
Centralization     3  8  -  9  8
Innovative         4  5  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  8  -  -  -
Offensive          2  4  -  -  -
Land               2  1  -  -  -
Quality            6  8  -  -  -
Serfdom            4  1  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 6 + 38% (1524, 15%)
Naval 6 + 16% (1536, 10%)
Trade 5 + 6% (1668, 0%)
Infrastructure 3 + 88% (1521, 75%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Ragusa, Kosovo, Macedonia, Hellas, Kerch & Albania).

Military

Leaders:
Lomellini, Rear Admiral (Naval 3, 2, 3)
Grimani, Admiral (Naval 4, 4, 4)

Army 27k infantry, 48k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% is 6.4 D/month
Army support limit = 81 000 (16 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D

Navy 8 warships, 67 galleys, 21 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.8 D/month
Navy support limit = 205
Cost of naval units:
warships 42D
Galleys 9D
Transports 13D

Manpower pool = 43 (21,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies:
Bad Boy 20.5/41 rather bad
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States

1518d.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Spain RM MA (Palatinate, Bavaria, Portugal, Berg)
Venice
Genoa (The Knights)
Savoy RM MA (Denmark, Scotland, Austria RM MA, Meissen, Brandenburg)
France (Burgundy)
North:
Switzerland
Danubian:
Hungary (Poland, Livonian Order, Bohemia, Sweden)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Wallachia
Moldavia
OE (Dulkadir, Mughal Empire)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen, Tripoli)
Black sea:
Theodoros RM MA (Russia)
Uzbek (Golden Horde, Sibir, Chagatai Khanate)
Other:

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Papal States is a vassal of Venice
France is a vassal of Burgundy

4) Changes in our area:
Savoy surrendered Piemonte to France
Albania was annexed by Venice
Spain inherited Aragon
Moldavia surrendered Transylvania to Ottoman empire
Moldavia surrendered Ukraina to Poland
Spain granted Tripoli to the Knights of St. John by event.

GiustinianMorosini.gif

My dearest senators,

I regret to inform you that for now I do not have the time for a detailed statement about my vote, as some of my prized posessions have been going missing from my estate recently and I will not rest until I have gotten to the bottom of this.

My votes are as follows (if votes not closed, disregard if closed):

Code:
Election 40.
1. B, A
2. C, D
4. Bulgaria - it puts them in the middle of a split OE in the Balkans

Election 41.
DF. Austria, Savoy
F. Bavaria, Hungary, Papal States
A. OE
E. Egypt
Peace, unless it allows us to move towards one of our oh so glorious goals decided by my esteemed senatorial brethren

Election 42.
1. Conversions - Diplomatic Gifts - Manufactories (refineries preferably)
2. A. 45% B. 20%
3. Infra 5, Infra 6

Sincerely,
Senator Giancarlo Giustianin

OOC: Hey Fodoron, would it be possible to find out if any of the names you put into the random leader file have any of the senators or relatives with very similar names leading any forces?

Cornaro_G.gif

And now you know why I, Eduardo Cornaro and my father Carlo, had advised again and again AGAINST leaving the infidel in possession of Balkan land. You and your weak concerns about poor land or wrong culture. My father LONG AGO foretold of this day, that if we over-reached WITHOUT securing our rear, we would find ourselves caught. We are not and perhaps NEVER will be strong enough to contend with the great powers.

Bah! I am too old, but when Loganni brought me the news of this ill. . . Loganni, continue for me, but never forget your ancestors saw this coming.

Umm, you must excuse my aged grandfather Senators, I merely went to him for advice and he demanded to come to speak to you. It is interesting though that if you do read the history of our nation, the Cornaro family has long spoken that we must act against the Turk but many other families have urged us forward towards Italy, yet clearly looking at a map one can see that would put us precisely where we are now--near an enemy. I suppose I am too young to understand what your wise thoughts are.

Sigh--I wish my ancestor Carlo were here; these matters seem far too great for me.

Election 40
1.A
2. A

We do not need help against the infidel as this latest round of warfare has shown. Yet against Burgundy, that is another matter. Spain can perhaps be of use to us as a potential threat to France. Still, we must keep good relations with Austria. My families traders continue to speak of some doings in regard to Hapsburg claims to land currently under the control of Burgundy.

election 40 continues
3.B
4.A
5.B
I do not like the options here, but this is the best I can come up with. We should not be in this war now; we should have run these people out of OUR LAND long ago! But here we are and as feared, they called the shots and thus had the initiative. Now we cannot do what needs to be done without giving other enemies their chance. Since you are all deadset against keeping Balkan lands for our own use, we must at least free everyone. Leaving the Turk with a land connection to us makes no sense militarily! Ah, but I am young and now is not the time for that---though we should go for their lands, now is simply not the time.

I will do my best Doge to come and vote later on the remainder of the issues, but I have pressing family matters and will not be in a position to speak to the Senate for some time, or at least not in length.

Loganni Cornaro, still too young for this and starting to believe my grandfather's tales about the Turks.

Fodoron said:

Look here if you care to join us.

It is very easy to participate and we are very easy-going.

Eh, I'd love to, seriously, but there are 2 problems...

1- I have just peeked into this AAR. It seems quite interesting but I would have a lot of catching up to do, and am kind of short on time these days. :(

2- I DON'T KNOW how to play this game. :rofl:

;)

Samuel Clemens said:
OOC: Hey Fodoron, would it be possible to find out if any of the names you put into the random leader file have any of the senators or relatives with very similar names leading any forces?

I don't quite understand your question, Sam.

The random leader file contains all and the only names that the game uses to generate a leader for every army or fleet that is not commanded by a historic leader. The game picks those names at random at loading the game and every time a new army is created either by recruiting, splitting or reorganizing. When merging, the older random name is preserved.

I substituted every name for the tag [VEN] in the random leader file with the names showed in a post above. Those are the only ones that show up in our armies and fleets. Not all of them are present at a certain time, and some are repeated twice or even three times, a product of randomness. Senators with a character name get double chance of showing up, but I am sure some of our illustrious senators don't care much about this feature of our AAR.

In some sessions, when I am very much into every small detail of a campaign, I take notes of everything that happens, including every commander in the game, but if I don't have that much time, or I am distracted I only notice certain things. When I write the AAR reports, I look at the notes and sometimes I pick one or two battles as specially significative.

But the names I introduce in the file expire, when senators pick new ones. And somehow senators tend to change their names just when I update the file ;). It is hard then to say for example that Pascal Barbarigo is leading armies when he just passed away, but I don't want to update the file all the time, as it is one more chore, so I get around this problem when writing the AAR the best way I can. Sometimes it becomes a cousin, like with one post regarding Ernesto Gandolfi, or if it is someone that left the AAR, I might just not mention it.

My only intention with all this is too have more fun, and to get senators a little bit more involved with what goes on in the AAR. Nobody has complained and nobody has requested his name removed, so my guess is that people look at it with mild amusement, which is what I pretend.