• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dogalshield.png
My dear Senators,

Victory has been achieved. The provinces of Sardinia, Malta and Siena had been incorporated to our domains. A celebration procession to St. Mark will take place this evening as Thanksgivings.

Bellini.jpg

Those interested in military affairs can read Capitano Generale Fodoroni's full report, that has been declassified.

Full reports will follow in due time.

Loredano2.gif
Leonardo Loredano, LXXV Dux Venetiarum. Jul. 1512.
75.jpg

Dear Doge

Congratulations at your success with this military campaign. I have returned from Vienna, and I must sya the Austrians are impressive indeed.
Anyway, for now, mightI suggest, as have been said before, that we should stay peaceful for a period, to better our reptutation and trade. War only hurts our economy, and we can't have that can we?
Therefore, I have decided that for now, I shall join the ranks of the Golden Party, changing my alliegence with the Blue Party, but also mentioning that I will not hesitate to change party again if time sees it fit.
Fore Venice, under God.

/Giovanni Lando

[ot--woo-hoo, 500th post--kind of cool to still be around here all that time--on with the show]

Cornaro_G.gif

Gentlemen, allow me to introduce myself. I am Loganni Cornaro. My grandfather, Eduardo, made the formal introductions previously, but in this, my first speech before the Senate, I believe it important to say a few words. I will attempt to not bloviate as much as my grandfather or great-grandfather. I am much more comfortable on the back of a horse than on a ship (yes, I know that is probably treacherous to some degree) and would rather be riding than standing here. I am not the orator as my esteemed relatives.

And I am very well aware of my young age. When I see such esteemed Senators like Giovanni Lando, Eduardo Gandolfi, Alessandro Delfino, Piero Badoer and of course the now aged, yet as brilliant as my grandfather told me, dear Pascal Barbarigo, I find myself full of nerves. Perhaps over time, I will do better.

My wife of 7 years is from the Enrico Dandolo family, now long dearly missed and I, to a very large degree, believe that I represent much of the thinking of the great Dandolo family. We have 3 beautiful daughters and I wonder if I indeed will have a son to pass on this post within our Senate. Can a woman ever be a Senator here?

So, hello to one and all. Congratulations to our wonderful Capitanio Fodoroni and his leadership in the recent war. I am not sure about these things; I know my grandfather spoke long and loudly about the infidel Ottomans, but my own father, often mused that Eduardo was too inflamed with religious zeal. I know I was raised to respect the Holy Father and the faith, but of course our family has a personal animosity against the Holy See because of the treacherous actions against us in our efforts to secure Cyprus, which of course occurred long before I was born. In any case, it will be nice to ride my horse with my friends along the length and breadth of the Italian peninsula.

I must now go to attend to family matters as we focus on trade and architecture; as you know we Cornaro's love building giant palaces. :p Feel free to drop by if you can stand the company of one so young. I look forward to hearing the Doge's plans for our future.

dogalshield.png
Senators of the Venetian Republic,

These are glorious years to lead the proud Queen of the Adriatic. Soon we will be at war with the rest of the world. Only our army stands between our wealth and our annihilation by the barbaric hordes. Yet for now we triumph.

Our country is now more centralized, as the Senate desired. We rule our colonies with an iron fist through our Balios and Podestàs. As the leading trading nation in the world, our Trade has improved (level 5). We have concentrated in infrastructure (75% investment) while we decide on our future investments. Our monthly income from trade has increased in 4 ducats, a very significant increase.

I will not comment on the war we have won against the Spaniards, Fodoroni has said enough about it. But I will comment on certain events that have marked those years. I must first start on the war of our neighbours. Austria has started an agressive policy not very much unlike ours. She declared war on Baden and her allies, Burgundy and France, and she was supported by her allies. That was the first mistake of Savoy, who is in the line of fire. Then Savoy annexed Baden, getting in a personal war against France and Burgundy. That was her last and fatal mistake. As of now, Savoy could lose Piamonte to France, and Bern and Baden to Burgundy. I suppose it doesn't escape to any senator the far reaching implications of having a land border with the most powerful and most hated alliance in Europe. Luis XII has a vague claim to Milan, that he could try to make good. So you know, Burgundy has a Land level of 9, to our 5. Austria has fared better and has secured possession of Alsace from Burgundy.

1510d.jpg

While at war, we received embassy from Theodoros. Surprisingly they seem to have a boundary dispute regarding the strait between Kerch and Kaffa. We conceded one of the rocks to them, they were very happy, and our citizens also, all at the amazingly cheap price of 75 ducats.

To help with the war effort, we have appointed two new fleet commanders, Grimani (4,4,4) and Lomellini (3,2,3), and hired a new condottiero, Lucio Malvezzo (1,2,1,1) to substitute Nicolo Pitigliano who has died.

1510c.jpg

Pope Leon X has decided to divide the world between Spain and Portugal. We obviously disagree. We will see about that. On the events that followed in the next year, the escribe forgot to register the two most important ones, Death and taxes, and Great noble family requests aid. These two required more thought that the usual registration and click, the first one because the stability increase was tempting, and the second one because we did not have the money and had to consider if a loan was a better or worse solution. The escribe got distracted and forgot to register. It has happened before and it will happen in the future, but we must forgive him for being overworked and underpaid.

A particularly efficient trade collector died, but we chose to replace him to increase the basic tax value in Istria, instead of making everybody happy and having to pay for a new one. The war is being a drain in our resources and we find our treasury chest quite empty. Fortunately Fernando of Aragon has decided that he finally prefers to concede Sardinia, Malta and Siena, rather than continuing with the severe beating that he is getting. Finally at peace we entered a new royal marriage to Spain to try to restore our relationships.

1511b.jpg

1512b.jpg

Our peasantry keeps giving us troubles, after all the work we take to decide everything for them. What an ungrateful bunch.

We started to use our money, and we promoted a new Tax colector in Siena, the richest of our new possessions. We also sent a couple of gifts to Albania to be able to annex them, as the Senate recently decided. The problem is that with the treasury empty, a great noble family requested our aid in the form of 75 ducats that we didn't have. I decided to take a loan, since the total cost of the interest will be 90 ducats, while two levels of stability are worth 2,100 ducats in investment.

Loredano2.gif
Leonardo Loredano, LXXV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1513.
75.jpg

1509-1513 Account:

Year 1509
-Recruited 2,000 inf. for 34D in Apulia
-Centralization +1 (now 9) Stability dropped by -1 to 0
-Recruited 2,000 inf. for 34D in Apulia
Trade advanced to level 5, investment shifted to Infrastructure
Venice DoW Palatinate, Aragon & Spain. Stability dropped by -1 to -1. Investment shifted to stability
Sicily conquered

Important international events nearby
Austria, Savoy, Denmark, Scotland, Meissen & Brandenburg DoW Baden, Burgundy & France
Baden annexed by Savoy

Our diplomacy
-Renewed RM with Theodoros

Year 1510
Lomellini (3,2,3) Naval Rear Admiral
Lucio Malvezzo (1,2,1,1) Land General
Grimani (4,4,4) Naval Admiral
Boundary dispute happened to us. We settled with Theodoros for -75D, +1Stab., +25 relationship
Treaty of Tordesillas took place
-Recruited 4,000 inf. for 68D in Dalmatia
Nicolo Pitigliano, land leader died
Sardinia & Malta conquered

Burgundy surrendered Alsace to Austria

Our diplomacy

Year 1511
Rush of merchants happened to us
Baleares & Siena conquered
Death & Taxes happened to us. We chose taxes, basic taxvalue in Istria +2, and revolt (vs. Stab +1, lose TC in Romagna)

Our diplomacy

Year 1512
Messina conquered
Aragon accepted peace with Venice, Sardinia, Malta & Siena to Venice
Unhappiness among the peasantry happened to us, Stab -1 to 0, revolt in Kerch

Kara Koyunlu, Egypt, Oman & Yemen DoW Georgia
Transylvania defected from Kara Koyunlu to Moldavia

Our diplomacy
Palatinate accepted white peace with Venice
Entered a RM with Spain

Year 1513
-Tax collector promoted in Siena
Great noble family requests aid happened to us, we granted it, -75D (vs. -2 Stab.)
We took a loan

Russia, Georgia & Theodoros DoW Poland, Livonian O., Hungary & Bohemia
Georgia annexed by Egypt

Our diplomacy
-Sent 38D personal gift to Albania, relations improved by +63 to +95
-Sent 38D personal gift to Albania, relations improved by +35 to +129

[size=+1]1513 Report (December)[/size]

1513.jpg

Economy
Stability 0
Stability cost = 1051D/level (notice jump from 769D in previous period for going over 1/2 max. BB)
Treasury = 163D
Inflation 7.3%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1508    21
1513    24

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1508     180.87     179.08    30.8
1513     193.25     207.85    33.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1508      39.9     17.9      16.0     0.0     74.3       -6.8
1513      43.3     20.3      20.2     0.0     84.3       -6.9

Loan until Dec 1518. Interests 18D/year (9%)

42 merchants in CoTs (+3). 3.8 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 68% (first nation). Production efficiency is 48% (fourth nation, first at 50%)

National
Monarch Leonardo Loredano
Military Average (5)
Administrative Average (5)
Diplomacy Good (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1500 +     1419 03 08 13
Aristocracy        4  3  -  -
Centralization     3  8  -  9
Innovative         4  5  -  -
Mercantilism       5  8  -  -
Offensive          2  4  -  -
Land               2  1  -  -
Quality            6  8  -  -
Serfdom            4  1  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 5 + 84% (1515, 15%)
Naval 5 + 73% (1519, 10%)
Trade 5 + 3% (1689, 0%)
Infrastructure 3 + 82% (1517, 75%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Provinces of wrong religion: Orthodox (Ragusa, Kosovo, Macedonia, Hellas & Kerch).

Military

Leaders:
Bartolomeo Alviano, Lt. general (Land 3, 2, 2, 1)
Lucio Malvezzo, General (Land 1, 2, 1, 1)
Lomellini, Rear Admiral (Naval 3, 2, 3)
Grimani, Admiral (Naval 4, 4, 4)

Army 45k infantry, 30k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% is 5.2 D/month
Army support limit = 85 000 (19 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D

Navy 6 warships, 81 galleys, 17 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.7 D/month
Navy support limit = 199
Cost of naval units:
warships 42D
Galleys 9D
Transports 13D

Manpower pool = 44 (21,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Albania
Bad Boy 20.3/40 rather bad
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Aragon

1513b.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Aragon (Spain RM MA, Palatinate, Bavaria)
Venice (Albania)
Genoa (The Knights)
Savoy RM MA (Denmark, Scotland, Austria RM MA, Meissen, Brandenburg)
North:
Switzerland
Danubian:
Hungary (Poland, Livonian Order, Bohemia)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Wallachia
Moldavia
OE (Dulkadir, Mughal Empire)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen, Tripoli)
Black sea:
Theodoros RM MA (Russia)
Uzbek (Golden Horde, Sibir, Chagatai Khanate)
Other:
Portugal (Berg, Sweden)
Burgundy (France)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Papal States and Albania are vassals of Venice
Bohemia and Hungary are vassals of Poland
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Aragon is a vassal of Spain.

4) Changes in our area:
Savoy annexed Baden
Burgundy surrendered Alsace to Austria
Transylvania defected from Kara Koyunlu to Moldavia
Georgia annexed by Egypt

[size=+1]Election 39. Longterm goals for Venice[/size]

From the following list you must choose more than one goal and order them by preference, you must also discard more than one goal. These goals are intended not for the next period, but for the next 50 years.

• A) Dominate all Italian Land
  • B) Free all Greeks from Ottoman slavery
  • C) Drive away the Ottomans from Balkans
  • D) Obtain possession of Alexandria
  • E) Obtain possession of Tyrol
  • F) We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years

Ordered goals will get 4 points the first, 3 the second, and so on. Discarded goals will get -3 points. The two most voted will get chosen.

This does not mean that we will immediately attempt to do it, but we will keep it as our agenda and will do our best so the conditions are one day optimal for attempting it. It doesn't mean also that we discard what we don't set as a goal. If we decide that Tyrol is not a goal but Austria declares war to us in the future, we could still request it.

Remember your vote must contain at least 2 goals and at least 2 discards. Any option you forget to list will be considered a discard. Example of a valid vote:

Goals:
1 E
2 D
3 A

Discards: B, C, F

Sorry for not being able to add something on this, I'm quite pressed on work but couldn't restrain from this vote:

Code:
A) Dominate all Italian Land
B) Free all Greeks from Ottoman slavery
F) We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years (apart Greek and Italian lands)

Discard:
C) Drive away the Ottomans from Balkans
D) Obtain possession of Alexandria
E) Obtain possession of Tyrol

The domination of the Mediterranean is easily achievable with all Italian and Greek lands, without going to capture non-cultured non-Christian lands. Atlantic is the future of Venice!

"Dear senators, dear doge, I stand by my current believes that we shall avoid armed conflict in the future, to better our reputation and stabilize our economy. However, I am no enemy of colonizing, and the rich lands of Egypt look tempting enough.
Now, some of you have this idea that a war against Austria is a good idea. I tell you that should we declare war against Austria, I shall abdicate. The Austrians are friends of ours, and my family's heritage is German.
And why do we want to drive away the Ottomans? They might be enemies of christ, yes, but the land is poor and we would have no gain in conquering it.
In all other decision suggested I shall support Venice, even if I might disagree as to the usefullness of such action."

LandoHohenzollern.gif

/Giovanni Lando
Code:
* F) We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years
* D) Obtain possession of Alexandria

Discarded:
* E) Obtain possession of Tyrol
* C) Drive away the Ottomans from Balkans

Fellow Senators and Respected Doge,

I stand by my earlier statements that our greatest weakness is our lack of allies, especially with our bad reputation. Since we have decided to annex Albania, our relations will suffer further. Fortunately, we have plenty of gold to buy friends.

I suggest that once we have annexed Albania, we buy our way into the Savoy/Austria alliance. It is in our interest to keep a balance of power between them and the French/Burgundians. Savoy can be our shield, and we should start sending them money now, to help them fight off the French. With those allies, we will secure almost all our western borders, and if the Austrian ever excercise their claims in Hungary, we will be even more secure.

Regards,

Eduardo Gandolfi

Election 39

Prefer: 1. F, 2. B, 3. C
Discard: A, E

Cornaro_G.gif

My first big vote, at a most opportune time. I will be honest and I did consult my grandfather Eduardo, now frail but he was able to share some thoughts. It should not surprise you that he is adamant about the Turks. I have given that much thought and am torn. I know not only are those areas poor, but they are not of our culture and probably will be prone to some revolts, so thus we should leave them alone. However, I know the history of the Turks and indeed, those of the faith of Islam and it seems clear to me that the Turks will not merely turn away in peace. Perhaps, any rising power in the north such as the Hapsburgs will draw their wrath, but I feel certain we will see them advance towards us, especially since we hold the Straights against them. Sigh--war is not to my liking, but sometimes we are forced.

I am a bit confused (as I think my fellow Senators are)---how are we to vote for F and then vote for anything else? I mean, dear Senator Lando voted to NOT take any land by conquest and then voted to take Alexandria? :confused: In fact, all 3 senators have voted to include Option F, though it is noted that wise Hastu added an addendum to that option. Wise Doge, being young, you should help me understand that vote.

If I vote for option F, am I indeed saying "no to all war and expansion during war?" That is what it sounds like, thus, if it wins (as it is leading now), and Genoa were to attack us and we were to prevail, then we would NOT take their land from them? I'm not sure I understand that option.

Well, not to be long-winded as my forefathers were. . . I will wait on clarification from the Doge.

GiustinianMorosini.gif

My dearest senators and Doge,

While it indeed makes my heart sing at the thought of the Spaniards having less of a hold on our seas, I find other news from the same report most distressing. Some may criticize my opinions, but I find the way our senate is turning most dreadful! My friends, you are growing complacent sitting in your opulence like a suckling swine being fattened up before a feast. You wish to make war, yet you believe we should invest our money into the very trade you make most of your money from rather than invest it towards the military we need should you continue to want us to continue along our path.
What is more distressing than this, though, is your inability to see the very truth of things. Yes, it is a grand dream to unite the whole of Italy uder our banner, but in doing so we will have to deal with countries that are far stronger than we. Might I again point out your fallacy in having our nation invest in your estates rather than the weapons we would need to defeat our enemies. If we push westward and attempt for the unification of Italy, you will no doubt vote to annex the Papacy, which would insight anger unlike anything we currently face. Taking Tyrol from Austria would be an even greater insanity, though I fear my begging will go unheard among you. If that is to be the case, then I will merely give my vote and be done with it.
My family has always cared for Venice, ever since our great descendant Justinian I ruled Constantinople. It is my wish, and the wish of my family, that we do what is right for Venice and move on Alexandria, as the situation in Italy is likely not to change from what it currently is by the time of my grandsons' grandsons. With Spain and Portugal neatly deciding they are the rightful owners of the rest of the world, we should act while we can to make sure that they are proven wrong. Once again I push for cleansing the heathens in Egypt and giving ourselves a much needed entrance to the other side of Africa. Let those dirty Portugese and Spaniards sail around it, for we shall take the shortest route and beat them to the riches that no doubtedly await us.

Code:
Election 39 - Goals
1. Alexandria (D)
2. If not Alexandria, then we are content as we are (F)
3. If not peace, then we should shatter the Ottoman bonds of the Greeks (B)

Discard:
A, C, E

Senator Giancarlo Giustianin

Election 39.
1: A) Dominate all Italian Land
2: B) Free all Greeks from Ottoman slavery
3: C) Drive away the Ottomans from Balkans
Discard these:
F) We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years (not expand... my god)

can't write much, but keep it up Fodoron, :) this is THE best AAR I've ever participated in... even better then my own... :(

Dear senators,

I know this election might not be the wisest one. It is not easy to define guiding policies.

I suppose all senators desire a greater Venice, but our enemies are many. France, Savoy, Austria, Aragon, Hungary and the Ottoman Empire desire our lands. I doubt we can keep out of wars for 50 years, specially if we look for new allies after the Albanian annexion. The Blue Party also seems to reach power from time to time and we should realistically plan to accomodate them. Given the nature of international relations, we could gain ownership of 1 new province in defensive wars every 8 years without damaging our reputation. That is 6 provinces in 50 years if defensive or diploannexion, or 3 if in agressive wars. That does not mean that we should get them all and we can improve our reputation by growing less than that. But It is unrealistic to think that in 50 years Venice will have the exact same size, so even if a senator is a pacifist, he must orient the senate regarding his preferences about where those new provinces should be sought. The peaceful option F is presented for those that wish to limit our future expansion towards only one direction, and penalize all others.

Your Doge.

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

Honorable Senators,
First of all I would like to welcome Loganni Cornaro. Though I miss your grandfather, even if he's speeches got longer and longer the last few years, I see the future of our republic in such young men as you are. Most welcome! Our powerhungry republic has truly been expanding during my lifetime, I have not been to most of our new possessions, and one would really have to travel a lot to keep up with every new harbour that is added!

Some senators fear overstreching and getting too many enemies. Therefore it's good we get to decide long term goals now, even if it will be for one of my sons to see them fulfilled! Venice should not become a feudal master like other old kingdom, for we are not a kingdom! The personal wealth gained from trade is much greater than that the old nobility get from holding land. Therefore we should seek new markets, in the east. Egypt and the Red Sea is the best way to get there, but not before we can muster an army with as good level as the ones strugling in continental Europe to the North. We should really try to stay out from offensive gains, and wars on Catholics, for many decades to come.

Election 39.
1. A) Free all Greeks from Ottoman slavery.
2. B) Obtain possession of Alexandria.
3. F) We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years (apart Greek and Italian lands)

Discard:
I'm more neutral in the other two questions.

Cornaro_G.gif

Well, here goes the youngster. . .

Still not sure I understand all the nuances of your conversations or votes, but I'm trying sirs. Being new, I've taken the time to count the votes on this matter and it seems my vote will do little to change things, but that okay since I'm the youngest, perhaps my vote shouldn't count much anyway. :p It seemed interesting also some Senators did not vote on all 6 issues, but I wonder if they realize that not mentioning the topic would still, per your orders, be equated with a (-3) vote for that issue. I counted it both ways, but it really didn't change anything in the order, that my freshman mind could comprehend. If you ONLY count the votes cast (positive or negative), it does tighten up the 3rd and 4th place goal.

Doge, with your permission, I'm going to state the obvious, but of course only your official tally really counts. Every Senator has voted against Tyrol; I'm not sure why--isn't that were the gold is. But I think I understand that the Hapsburgs dominate there and we perhaps need to steer clear of them. And for some reason, most Senators want to not expand by conquest, yet all listed things to conquer. :D Ah, I am so unwise in the ways of you leaders. And the desire to control all of Italy took the most 1st place votes (so far), but haven't already done that? I do realize that our ancient enemy of Genoa is still around, but they are nothing now, or at least it seems to my untrained eyes.

Well, perhaps some other Senators will step in and vote; there could be some change in goal 3 and 4 based on my votes. We'll see I suppose. :)

B) Free all Greeks from Ottoman slavery
C) Drive away the Ottomans from Balkans
A) Dominate all Italian Land

Discard: F) We should not expand by conquest in the next 50 years

My vote for moving on Alexandria is based on trade and the advice of Senator Barbarigo. My grandfather always spoke highly of your wisdom. I think he has said it well about challenging the issue with Portugal by going that way.
[ot--plus, I've never played that part of the game getting into North Africa so it interest me LOL]

I look forward to the final tally by the Doge and our efforts moving forward. From my reading of our history, it would seem that regardless of what we do, we will still find ourselves embroiled to some degree by the actions of others.

Loganni Cornaro

Live to see. A noble senator from the Cornaro family joining the ranks of the Blue Party, and despite claims to the opposite tilting the balance to their side. Your ancestors must be shocked in their graves.

This election will continue open until tomorrow. But the liberation of Greek Christians from infidel rule appears so popular that will probably remain in the top spot. And this choice is important to decide what to do now in the most serious crisis our nation has had to face to date. A call to arms by our Doge will follow promptly, accompanied by most serious reports from our good Capitano Fodoroni, who has been, and still is, bussier than in our past history.

Senator Barbarigo,

War has been declared to us. Commerce has been shut down. The spices loaded in your merchant ships have been for the past years rotting in a storehouse in Ragusa. Your galleys have been confiscated and equipped with new artillery. Your crews have been pressed into voluntary service. Your sons called to the front, one of them as a sopracomito in one of the galleys in the Aegean squadron, the other two in the army. The older one in the cavalry under Alviano's command fighting the hordes that invade us, the younger embarked for a risky surprise landing in foreign soil. I am afraid that I must also request that you donate your gold and silver personal jewelry to sustain the terrible war effort of 5 years of almost uninterrupted war. Venice is living its darkest hour. A league of alliances has been formed with the only purpose of destroying us.

Your very worried Doge.