• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I will close the election tomorrow, since I am waiting for some promised votes, but it is then your Doge who, with permission of the Signoria, has to depart on a few days trip.

My endeavours as figure-head of the Venetian Republic have fatigued me so much that my family has prescribed an early Easter vacation at the seashore. But I shall return recovered to face the difficult trials that these years of tribulation might impose on us. I hope that upon my return I shall bring good news about our long war against the Genoese, and I am confident that they will learn with this lesson not to cross our path ever again.

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1498.
74.jpg

As you can see I don't have a very good face as of lately :)

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

How good it is to be back among friends and adversaries of this body of men! I even find myself agreeing with what Eduardo Cornaro said, or was it only his oratory that led me astray? We need peace as soon as we have taken Kerch, but we should try to make OE do the mistake of attacking us, and keep vigilant. The army must always be as large as we can possibly maintain. That is the only advise I can give on martial matters. I was certainly not born to lead armies, as we all know by now. To my defense I must say that I got separated from the fast moving main force, not being very used to life in the field. Without leadership they could not resist the Genoese in the ambush. I do hope this war has learnt us some for the future, and that Genoa will pay with Kerch for all the men that has died to lift their trade embargo.
aegandolfi, my congratulations to your engagement. It seems like a very good match and will hopefully benefit your affairs, and grant you sons.

Code:
Election 33
1. Peacetime research  	T 100%
2. Stability 		B from -2 to +2
3. Minting 		A. no B. no C. yes D. yes E. 6%  D > C

Code:
Election 34
DF: Albania
F: Knights, Austria, Hungary, Savoy, Switzerland, Spain, Portugal
A: Papal states, Aragon
E: Ottomans, Genoa
Policy: Peace

Code:
Election 35
1. No
2. No
3. Ottomans

The elections are now closed. These are the results:

Election 33

We seem to have absolutely all types of opinions here, so we will continue without focusing too much on anything:

Land: 15%
Naval: 10%
Trade: 35%
Infra: 40%

Stability will be invested when at -1 and until +1

Minting has been aproved only for manufactories and conversions both by 5/8 votes. Conversions are preferred if enough ADM. The inflation limit will be set at 7% for this period. [I took the liberty to interpret the unlimited votes as 10, wich is reasonable under present circumstances, since no numerical calculation is possible with an infinite number.]

Election 34

Dear Friends will be: Albania (6/6), The Knights (4/6), Papal States (3/6) and Hungary (3/6)
Friends: France (4/6), Austria, Portugal and Spain (3/6)
Adversaries: Ottomans (6/6), Aragon (3/6)
Enemies: Genoa (3/6)

Savoy has been taken out because it had 3 votes for both Friend and Adversary.

Peace has been decided (4/5)

Election 35

Trade agreement has been decided by a narrow margin (4/7). We will try to make Portugal (4/7) our trade partner. Spain and France did not get enough support (2/7).

Trade bans were deemed acceptable by the same margin (4/7). The Ottomans are the lucky winners (6/7) of a trade ban in our next war.

See you in a few days with the next installment of our quest for glory.

I wish my cousin's well-deserved vacation will be a pleasant one, and that he returns invigorated in both mind and spirit. I'm proud someone of my own family took the decisive step towards stopping the Genoese, even though it proved a tough mission. Fare well!
Pascal Barbarigo

Cornaro_G.gif

Eduardo Cornaro
Fodoron said:
Election 33

We seem to have absolutely all types of opinions here, so we will continue without focusing too much on anything:

Land: 15%
Naval: 10%
Trade: 35%
Infra: 40%

Gentlemen (ladies?), we must have an active discussion about this. If we persist in maintaining a broad approach in this area of our government, we will accomplish LITTLE. Certainly, for now, our lead in trade will sustain us, but mark my words, in centuries ahead of us, we will be surpassed! Can you not see that other nations will be larger than us? Even if we were to unite the whole of the Italian peninsula AND take the Balkan lands that I keep pressing for us, we will STILL be smaller than the great nations. Then and there, the economics will destroy us! Now, I don't care if you want trade over infrastructure for now, but we can't keep wasting our money broadly spent! I freely admit that I am from the same school as my dearly departed friend Senator Dandolo. Long term economics Senators, long term! You must think of your great-grandchildren and the Venice you hope to leave to them. Doge, may we vote again on this matter, perhaps in such a way that is more direct---for instance, vote either for military or economics? Then, assuming we come to our senses (and those of you in the blue party, do not mistake me for an adherent to the gold party--I am WITH NEITHER, but am FOR VENICE!--but only a strong economy will allow us to survive long), we could then vote [in the same election] to either go trade or infrastructure till we increase in that area and then move to the other. What say ye, my Doge?

Fodoron said:
Election 34

Dear Friends will be: Albania (6/6), The Knights (4/6), Papal States (3/6) and Hungary (3/6)
Friends: France (4/6), Austria, Portugal and Spain (3/6)
Adversaries: Ottomans (6/6), Aragon (3/6)
Enemies: Genoa (3/6)

Savoy has been taken out because it had 3 votes for both Friend and Adversary.

Peace has been decided (4/5)

Gentlemen, have you LOST YOUR MINDS! How in the world do you place the Papal States in our friends! Have you forgotten the evil treachery brought forth from the Papal See? Do you need to re-read the Doge's records to see how the Pope has opposed us? Do you not remember that he tried to treacherously undermine my family's efforts to bring Cyprus into our fold, into our glorious Republic? I would appreciate someone trying to explain this to me
Papal States delenda est!

And HUNGARY? Am I missing something? Does someone have a secret insider in the courts of our LONG ENEMY? If so, please explain it to the rest of the Senate. Certainly we can change our minds with our diplomacy, but do you realise you have demanded the Doge WASTE our hard-earned money, money I might remind you that we will desperately need to rebuild our army after the foolish attack on Kerch [oh why did I ever vote for that war; I have failed you my father]? Hungary hates us with a passion, but you want the Doge to waste our money and our diplomats sending gifts to Hungary?

I simply do not understand.

Anyone out there? Anyone? I'll be humble; I'll listen. Really.

Relax my dear Eduardo Cornaro,

You are right in many things, yet you should not get angry. It is true that our research money could be better spent by concentrating on just one of the economical areas, but it is not less true that in democracies acquiescence is impossible. Are you perhaps suggesting a return to the tyranny of the Emperor? Democracies might be less efficient, yet their virtues compensate them greatly. It is very difficult for us to make mistakes like the one we just made with Genoa :) , since we ponder and discuss over everything until we decide what is right. Elections will not be repeated because we don't like the result. We will learn to live with what we have voted, as adult democracies do, while we make the best of it. Perhaps a little bit of campaigning from the members of the Golden Party before economical elections would benefit us in the future.

I understand your hatred of Rodrigo Borgia, that treacherous Spaniard Pope that pretends to install his children as overlords of Italy. But you must remember that he is our vassal after all. Some of our Senators might think that they will be able to obtain lucrative ecclesiastical positions for them or their relatives through a good relationship. Perhaps they even think about installing ourselves in control of Rome through annexion, although care should be exerted as to not upset greatly all the Catholic powers of the world.

Regarding gifts to the king of Hungary, none has been approved so far. A budget for diplomatic gifts has not been authorised in past elections except in the case of vassals. Our stinginess in that respect could be partially responsible for our lack of friends. So far being a friend means proposing a royal marriage and trying not to actively hurt relationships further. And the king of Hungary has so far found our daughters unfit for him. Mildly insulting but not enough to go to war over it, so I will keep sending him pictures of young Venetian patrician girls destined for the convent otherwise.

Good bye, now, as my gondola should take me out of the Rialto for my seasonal rest.

Agostino Barbarigo, Dei Gratia Dux Venetiarum etc.

Senator Carlec,

I listed the Papal States are dear friends. My reasoning is as follows.
They are already our vassals, and are down to just one province. We can gain nothing by warring against them, to annex them would hurt our repuation grievously, and give all catholic nations a CB vs. us. The best we can do, is keep them a vassal, and gain the tax revenue, and other benefits.
Hopefully, we can influence the next election for Pope, and elevate someone to our liking.

Regards,

Eduardo Gandolfi

Friend Senator Cornaro,

I likewise listed the Papal States as a friend for the same reason as Senator Gandolfi. Whether we like it or not, other nations that have strength with little or no interest in us have a greatly vested interest in the state of the Papacy. If you wish to run our nation into the ground under the heal of the Pope's allies, then by all means continue with your crusade against the rest of the civilized nations. You will find that by doing so, the investments in our trading that you wish us to make will do us little good. If you do wish for us to continue your crusade against the Papacy, then do so without purposefully stabbing our nation in the back by cutting the funding needed to properly help defend ourselves. I for one wonder if you would rather have us be the best trading vassal nation in the world.

If you are indeed so intent to have a crusade, then I ask, ney beg you to turn your attention toward the heathens and NOT CONTINUE ON THIS SUICIDAL PATH YOU WISH US TO TAKE!

Best regards and well wishings,

GiustinianMorosini.gif

Senator Giancarlo Giustinian​

Cornaro_G.gif

I will cease to speak about the Papal Estates. Vassal or not, I will not nor cannot accept them as friends without a formal apology for their recent actions against our Republic. But I will submit to your thoughts on the matter.

That is good news Doge about not sending gifts to Hungary. How can we when it is clear that conflict with them will probably be in our future? Yet again, maybe I'm missing something the rest of you know about.

Dearest Senator Giustinian, what exactly is suicidal about attempting to increase our infrastructure? Is it not clear to you that our success lies on our economy and that without the ability to increase each provinces infrastructure, long term, we will be doomed? We need to fear nothing from our neighbors in their wasteful rush to discover the newest and latest technology for their armies. In most battles, we will easily avoid their armies in the open field (our recent debacle at Genoa points out the reason in this; it is financially irresponsible to waste ducats on replacing soldiers; did you not hear Senator Gandolfi words that our attack was "madness."). In our wars, as I know you know, all we will do is siege their cities. That is the way of all wars---few if any active battles. Our conflicts are won at the peace table and the power we have at that point rests on territory taken.

Thus, while these nations are wasting resources on land technology, we will continue to be the great trading nation of the world with a stronger infrastructure. That will allow us to promote judges to hold down revolts and governors to hold down inflation. Eventually, we would be financially in a strong enough position to outspend ANY nation in the military techs.

Lastly, regarding the Pope and your comments, I would appreciate you taking the time to read our history to see of the treachery of the Pope against my family before you openly attack me and my family. We have been most loyal to this Republic from long before time. You may disagree with my votes, thus the joy of our Republic, but you should choose your words wisely before you accuse me or my family of "stabbing our nation in the back!"

Last edited:
"Fellow senators, you highness the doge, I wish to add my thoughts into this debate.
The papacy is no threat to us as is. It may be true that they try to fight us for cominance over Italy, but that is to espected is it not? And surely, taking action against them would give us a reputation we can't afford to have.
As for Hungary, I see no use for us to try to buy their friendship. It is true that future conlicts between us and them seem inevitable, but for now, let's no waste money on trying to make them our friends. If they attack us, we are strong enough to retaliate.
Furthermore, I take sides with senator Cornaro in the economical issue. We should not waste our money to improve our armies, for our future lies in trading, infrastructure, and on the seas. Shall we rule a merchant empire we shall rule it as merchants, not as soldiers and kings. I fully support senator Cornaro in his struggle to make this senate see what makes empires is not swords and shields, but ducats and merchants."

LandoHohenzollern.gif

Giovanni Lando​

Last edited:
Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

Senators, I agree with Giovanni Lando regarding our relations with the Papacy. Even if they have treated the revered family Cornaro wrong, we need to be realistic in our policy against the Pope. We cannot fight the Allmighty Catholic Church. We should have good enough relations with our vassal to make sure they don't break their bonds with us, trying again to plot with foreign nations for the power in Italy. We don't want to fight a war against the Papal States, no it should be avoided as long as possible, since it would give a casus belli on us for all other christian nations.
I did vote for us to try to become friend of Hungary, but I don't think we should spend gifts to get their hard won friendship. If one day one of their high nobles should fancy one of the young noble woman that Fodorini keeps sending pictures of, we shouldn't hesitate to make good use of her. Have you tried my daugther yet? I can send a newly made picture of her.

Cornaro have a very good point regarding what areas we should try to improve. Improving infrastructure should be focus upon right now, and later trade. We do not need to lead the development of arms and tactics, let other pay the high costs for that! We are merchants first of all, and our strong economy should be our shield.
Just to be on the safe side, may I ask Fodorini to report on what nations are the most formidable in land and naval fighting, and what new weaponry and technologies they use. We wouldn't want to be left to far behind.

There, I have spoken enough. Let's end this meeting and get out to enjoy the warmth of the spring sun, and discuss poetry. Politian or Matteo Maria Boiardo perhaps?

Fellow Senators, Noble Doge,

Let me speak a few words about the remarks of some other senators.

Some senators seem to see Hungary as an enemy. Why? Why?! We have no reason to attack them.
We could attack and defeat them, but what would be out profit? A few provinces that would hardly increase our revenues. What would be our loss? Of course, the war will lead to army losses. I doubt the conquered provinces would cover this loss. But more important; that will be the least of our losses!! War against Hungary will weaken the Hungarians and make them weaker enemies for the Ottomans. And they are the real threat!
So instead of considering the Hungarians as our enemies, we should consider them our friends as they are the enemies of our enemies!

Contrary to the beliefs of several other senators I think sending gifts to Hungary might be good move. Perhaps only when they are at war with the Ottomans, I agree. But remember, when Hungary and the Ottomans are at war they will leave us alone...

And while I agree with Senator Cornaro that we shouldn't spend much money on military research, I feel spending money on making our trade more efficient wil lead to a breakthrough in the near future. I don't see this happening in our research in infrastructure.

(I would probably have voted for more research in infra if the next trade level hadn't been so close. I do agree with prioritizing infra after reaching it.)

dogalshield.png
Senators, citizens of Venice,

When we thought that the situation could finally improve, after five years at war with Genoa, and when everything looked under control, to the point that I left the city on vacation, the English ambassador delivered the declaration of war from the Kings of England and Ireland. The sorry state of our armies make us look like a tempting target to the vultures, because we did not provoke England in any way. It is the foolishness of Henry VII, since neither of our countries will win anything from this war, that will weaken us both.

1498d.jpg

My first measure was to start minting again to recover our armies to a decent state to prevent our neighbors from jumping to our throats.

Great agitation between our spice merchants came when we got news that the Portuguese had reach Calcuta in India sailing around Africa. Many between us think that their route will never be economically viable, since only 6 of their 12 ships returned safely, but some fear that this event heralds the end of our spice trade, our main income source.

1499.jpg

I will leave the details of the war against the perfid English and Irish to our Capitano Generale in the brother thread as usual, but soon good news came when Kerch finally surrendered to our troops and Genoa, as tired of the war as we were, soon accepted to surrender ownership of the Black Sea Center of Trade to us. We were then desperate to end our war against England and Ireland because our populace was growing restless of the war hardships, but Henry was not receptive to our peace proposals. To end the year, we sent a missionary to Thrace (247D, 56%).

In 1500, the people of Athens (Hellas) decided to fund the increase of their city walls to a small fortress. In 1501 a Monopoly Company was formed, paying 100D to the State Treasure. A new conversion attempt has been directed to Macedonia (225D, 54%). Meanwhile Henry VII has been rejecting all our white peace proposals.

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Aug. 1501.
74.jpg

Last edited:
dogalshield.png
Most noble Senators of the Serenissima,

It is under difficult circumstances that I take over the prestigious role of your Doge. Too many wars have been fought for little benefit. Too much ear has been paid to the members of the Blue Party. My program is that of peaceful reconstruction and economical development.

Finally at peace, I ask you to take notice that, despite the incorporation of Kerch, our income is lower than it was ten years ago, before our war with Genoa. A factor that no doubt contributes is the bite in our spice trade that the Portuguese are taking with their direct route to India. Our relationship with them suffered greatly by that Spice Trade event, and they refuse to enter into a trade agreement with us to cede us a fair share of the riches of their Centers of Trade. Please note also that our new province of Kerch, while invaluable to take control of the Black Sea trade, has also given us some new neighbours: Theodoros, and Uzbek. We have average relationship, royal marriage and military access with Theodoros, although they are allied to the Russians and Georgians that hate us, but the Uzbeks belong to the Mogol hordes, together with the Golden Horde, Sibir and the Chagatai Khanate. Not the ideal neighbors. The Hungarians keep rejecting our marriage proposals, but they keep bussy in the East, participating in the wars between Poland and Russia.

My economical focus showed first fruits when at the end of 1502 we saw a Capital Attraction, increasing the tax value and the population of Veneto. I next ordered the promotion of a Tax collector in Kerch to increase the fruits of our new province, but before he could settle, the citizens of Kerch rebelled and took over the city killing him. Coronel Miozovny, present in Kerch on command of 5,000 men could not prevent it from happening, but he quickly dispersed the rebels and is now trying to retake the city. I am afraid that we will have to pay again for a new Tax collector. After almost 2 years of peace, we still have a residual rebellion risk from war exhaustion, that high it got. Also the merchants showed their unhappiness, probably due to the decay of the spice trade. We lost 300 ducats in trade investment, which is equivalent to almost eight months of investment.

1503.jpg

Hmm, and yes, I confirm the post of Podestà in Famagusta (Cyprus) for young Christoforo Moro. I hope he lives up to the expectations of such important position. Capitano Generale Fodoroni's recommendation could not be ignored, although I would have preferred him as ambassador to the Holy See. Cardinal Giuliano della Rovere has been elected Pope with our support. We have placed many hopes in the new Pope, Julius II, since he is an enemy of Cesare Borgia, the Duke of Valentinois, with whom we have a dispute over certain cities of Romagna.

1503b.jpg

We are finally at peace, war exhaustion is almost over, we have now a big standing army (72,000 men), we just gained our second Center of Trade. We can finally look into the future with confidence. Soon we will have to decide what to do with our vassals, Albania and Papal States. Also maps to the New World will have to be obtained if we want to participate in the colonization race that it is taking place. I'll let you ponder about these important matters before we subject them to election.

Loredano2.gif
Leonardo Loredano, LXXV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1503.
75.jpg

1499-1503 Account:

Year 1499
-Recruited 3,000 cav. and 7,000 inf. for 201D in Veneto
England & Ireland declared war to Venice
Investment shifted to minting
-Recruited 3,000 cav. for 96D in Macedonia
-Land -1 (now 1) Stability dropped by -1 to +1
Our naval technology advanced to 5
-Recruited 3,000 inf. for 51D in Macedonia
-Recruited 1,000 cav. and 2,000 inf. for 68D in Macedonia
The Spice Trade happened to us (historic event, Mercantilism +1, Aristocracy +1, relation with Portugal -100, revolt risk +3 for 12 months, basic taxvalue in Crete -2).
Rebellion in Mantua
-Recruited 3,000 cav. and 7,000 inf. for 99D in Romagna
Kerch surrendered to us
-Recruited 4,000 cav. and 6,000 inf. for 234D in Veneto
-Conversion attempt in Thrace for 247D at 56%

Important international events nearby
Bern defected from Brandenbourg to Switzerland
Russia, Georgia & Theodoros DoW Poland, Livon. Order, Brittany, Hungary & Bohemia

Our diplomacy
Renewed royal marriage with Spain
Venice accepted peace with Genoa in exchange for Kerch and 125D

Year 1500
New land leader, Nicolo Pitigliano, field marshal (1, 1, 1, 2)
New land leader, Bartolomeo Alviano, General (3, 2, 2, 1)
Fortification effort happened to us (Hellas +1)
Rebellion in Napoli
-Recruited 4,000 inf. for 68D in Napoli

Our diplomacy
-England rejected our white peace offer (warscore +5)
-England rejected our white peace offer (warscore +4)

Year 1501
-Recruited 1,000 cav. and 1,000 inf. for 50D in Macedonia
Monopoly Company formed happened to us (+100D)
-Conversion attempt in Macedonia for 225D at 54%
Investment shifted to research (Inflation 7.3%)
Leonardo Loredano became our new Doge

Russia, Theodoros & Georgia DoW Sweden
Sweden entered alliance with Portugal and Berg

Our diplomacy

Year 1502
Rebellion in Thrace
-Recruited 2,000 cav. and 2,000 inf. for 100D in Thrace
Capital atraction happened to us (basic taxvalue in Veneto +1, pop +500 to 194,473)

Our diplomacy
-England rejected our white peace offer (warscore +8)
We accepted 138D peace offer from England (warscore +9)
Portugal rejected our Trade Agreement offer

Year 1503
-TC promoted in Kerch for 53D
Rebellion in Kerch
Unhappiness among the merchants happened to us (trade -300, about 8 months investment)

Our diplomacy
Hungary rejected our royal marriage proposal

[size=+1]1503 Report (December)[/size]

1503c.jpg

Economy
Stability +1
Stability cost = 811D/level
Treasury = 176D
Inflation 7.3%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1498    20
1503    21

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1498     177.85     175.82    29.5
1503     167.41     174.94    29.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1498      39.0     17.9      14.6     0.0     72.0       -4.3
1503      32.9     17.3      13.6     0.0     64.3       -6.9

36 merchants in CoTs (+2). 3.8 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 64% (first nation). Production efficiency is 48%

National
Monarch Leonardo Loredano
Military Average (5)
Administrative Average (5)
Diplomacy Good (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1500 +     1419 03
Aristocracy        4  3
Centralization     3  8
Innovative         4  5
Mercantilism       5  8
Offensive          2  4
Land               2  1
Quality            6  8
Serfdom            4  1

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 4 + 90% (1505, 15%)
Naval 5 + 21% (1524, 10%)
Trade 4 + 84% (1509, 35%)
Infrastructure 3 + 55% (1523, 40%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Military

Leaders:
Andrea Loredan, admiral (Naval 3, 2, 3)
Vincenzo Polani, admiral (Naval 2, 2, 1)
Nicolo Pitigliano, field marshal (Land 1, 1, 1, 2)
Bartolomeo Alviano, Lt. general (Land 3, 2, 2, 1)

Army 39k infantry, 33k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% is 5.2 D/month
Army support limit = 75 000 (16 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 17D
Cavalry 33D

Navy 6 warships, 85 galleys, 17 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.7 D/month
Navy support limit = 178
Cost of naval units:
warships 42D
Galleys 9D
Transports 13D

Manpower pool = 39 (19,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Albania
Bad Boy 14.8/40 tarnished
Permanent CB:
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Aragon

1503d.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Aragon (Spain RM MA)
Venice (Albania)
Genoa (The Knights)
Savoy RM MA (Denmark, Scotland, Austria RM MA, Meissen, Brandenburg)
North:
Bavaria (Palatinate)
Switzerland
Danubian:
Hungary (Poland, Livonian Order, Brittany, Bohemia)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Wallachia
Moldavia
OE (Transoxiana)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen)
Black sea:
Theodoros RM MA (Georgia, Russia)
Uzbek (Golden Horde, Sibir, Chagatai Khanate)
Other:
Portugal (Berg, Sweden)
Burgundy (France, Baden)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Papal States and Albania are vassals of Venice
Bohemia and Hungary are vassals of Poland
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Aragon is a vassal of Spain.

4) Changes in our area:
Brandenburg lost Bern to Switzerland by defection
Georgia surrendered Lugansk & Azov to Uzbek
Genoa surrendered Kerch to Venice

Glorious rejoicing for the safe return of our Doge and leader. The world feels safer now that you are back at the helm of our Republic.

I think Capitano Fodoroni deserves praise yet again for making good out of dicey situation. It is amazing to me that England of all places would come to seek us out. I think your observation about our weak military bears out under scrutiny.

Now that Kerch in our hands as so many of you, my vaunted Senators, wanted, may I point out the map to you that we are isolated. Please note that should we find ourselves in a situation where rebels do finally eliminate our brave army and take the city, we would be forced to bring an army across the entire Black Sea and retake the city much like we took it from Genoa---either by invasion or by attacking across the Straights. Thus, may I again point out were to control the land provinces between Kerch and the homeland, we would not be in such a difficult situation. And, why look at that, those VERY PROVINCES are held by our enemy and the enemy of our faith--the Ottomans.

Now hear me well, I am NOT calling for war now. We must have some time of peace, maybe time beyond that of my life before we rise again to defend the faith. BUT, WE WILL NEED TO DEAL WITH THE INFIDEL SOON! Mark my words, they may be silent now, may be sleeping, but as long as the OE controls land in Europe, they are a threat! I have heard all the protestations ad nauseum that those provinces are poor and such--bah! Land is land--those provinces will eliminate the OE, give us some money, provide us more troops for our armies and provide the beginnings of a land bridge to Kerch.

Get ready!

About Portugal, we know from our OWN spies and shipbuilders that WE are increasing in our OWN shipbuilding knowledge. It is clear that if the Portugeuse had indeed found a way to India that our overland route is in danger, probably more so since the OE continues to control so much of the route. Even if we NEVER attempted to have a colony or trading post (unwise I say), we AT LEAST should try to get better maps to that area of the world in order to discover more and richer Centers of Trade. Doge, I believe that you should engage in an active diplomacy with nations to our East to ensure that we can trade maps with them. As we learned from Marco Polo when he returned, there are vast and great lands to our East and we should move to be among the first to trade there.

It is glorious that we have arrived in a new century. Rejoice my fellow Senators and let us look forward to a positive century!

Respected Doge, Noble Senators, and Honored Captain General,

I too am very happy to see these wars concluded on favorable terms. Though our losses were severe, due to some tactical missteps, we are victorious, and should be stronger in the long run.

I echo Senator Carlec's thoughts about the Turks, they do need to be driven from Europe. However, I think it unwise of us to wage any offensive wars until our reputation has much recovered.

Our new Doge is quite right, we need to strengthen our nation. I would be particularly interested in improving our land technology, which the recent war has shown to be week, and our infrastructure, to better control inflation.
Perhaps the Senates should discuss the idea of focusing our research on one or two areas for the next election.

Finally, I continue my family's views that we should expand our alliance to deter attackers. What is our specific relationship with Switzerland? Do they have forces that make them a worthwhile ally?

Respectfully,

Eduardo Gandolfi

Senators Cornaro and Gandolfi,

You speak words of wisdom. Our reputed diplomacy has been lacking lately and we find ourselves alone without friends. Should the Pope call on a Holy League against us in alliance with Louis XI of France, the emperor Maximilian and the kings of Spain and Hungary, we would find ourselves at the brink of destruction. Fortunately Julius II is our friend, since we helped him in getting elected.

But when we all see the map of our diplomacy we cannot help but get discouraged by so much dark red and no green at all. We are victims of our success. Most of Italy is already under our control, and even Genoa has been beaten and her trade with the Black Sea stolen from her. We certainly need to determine what our next area of interest should be, whether what remains of Italy in the hands of Genoa, Savoy and Aragon, or the rich Greek provinces still in Ottoman hands, or perhaps the rich center of trade in Alexandria since the Mameluks show signs of decay. Perhaps even backstab Austria to steal the gold in Tyrol and vassalize the Habsburgs. We should know what we want to accomplish in the next 25 years and plan according to that.

Switzerland is right now a sitting duck without armies. I suppose they will either soon join an alliance or will be subject to agression. We need to decide what we are going to do with Albania. Keep her as our ally or annex her, because in the first case we can only ask countries into our alliance and we must decide which ones we want and improve relationship through gifts in preparation for the time they become available. In the second case we will be free to buy ourselfs into an alliance, perhaps even one that is in a defensive war that we want to be involved.

Regarding our military, I think it is more a problem of morale than of technology. Certainly we are not cutting edge, and I would even say below average. Burgundy, the Ottomans, Genoa, the Knights and some German minors are already at level 6, while we are close to 5, but we recently incresed our Land budget to 15% of our total investment, and military investment does not get shut down for stability investments or minting [more out of laziness since it accounts for only 25% and it is a pain to adjust the four buttons constantly.]

I will leave you to discuss our main focus for the next 25 years before calling the Senate to vote on the issue, perhaps after the next five year period. The goals could be:

1) Italy, wether diplomatically (Genoa, Savoy) or by force (Aragon-Spain)
2) Ottoman Empire, wether their European provinces or their Greek provinces in Asia Minor.
3) Another CoT, presumibly Alexandria (Liguria counts also here).
4) The gold of Tirol, finally available as a non-capital province.
5) Focus on colonization through stealing maps, probably from Portugal.

We should be able to decide which ones should be a priority and which ones shouldn't. The Albanian question will be also included, so feel free to share your thoughts.

Leonardo Loredano

Fellow Senators, Honarable Doge, Captain General,
Our Doge, Leonardo Loredano, has hit the nail. Even if he is new in office he is well-known among us. We are at a point where Venice, due to her riches, have a lot of choices of what politics should be conducted. But the world is ever changing, and many other states also rise, some faster than do our republic. We have few friends, and no one will stand up for us if we should find ourselves in great peril. This is not a new situation for us, and we will prevail, if we take the right measures. We should strive for peace and good relations, while preparing for war. We should keep a close eye on Italy, while planning to reach countries and markets far to the east. We should seek friends, but stand alone.

Allies are sometimes useful, but they may also try to make good use of us. We don't want to fight the wars in Germany of the Habsburgs, or in far north with Hungary. No, we should get allies close to us, whose wars are of interest to us. The humiliated Genoa and Savoy are good targets for our alliance. We should always try to lead our own league, since that will grant us freedom. With time, and without gains in offensive wars from fellow Catholics, our reputation will heal. Perhaps a few gifts are needed too? In any case, trying to annex Albania and the Papal States will do great damage to our reputation, and might lead us into costly wars. Furthermore, offensively trying to gain the gold of Tirol will hurt our reputation.
Trade and infrastructure needs strengthening, and we should stop our highly valued currency from losing it's value by establishing governors. We will have to pay dearly for maps, since our own spice trade has taken so much damage already, and will continue to do so with trade through Egypt falling. If we find ourselves in a war with a nation with good maps, we should use the opportunity to sack their archives if our Captain General find it doable.
Finally, wars might come upon us, and we should have as stong army as possible, and we are almost there already! If we can liberate more provinces from the Ottomans it would increase our safety, and those that are not Greek can make useful vassals if too poor to pay their own expenses. I think that is the best way of expansion right now.
I have talked enough, but these are important issues, and I would like the future generation to live in an even mightier Venice.