• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Oooh, the dreaded double post anonymous! Well anyway, an exciting semi-update! I'm surprised Italy has a helicopter, a gyrocopter maybe, but not helicopter, unless they where borrowing one from Spain or Germany, or something. It was simply a very poorly designed, twin engined areoplane.

Semi-Lobster said:
Oooh, the dreaded double post anonymous! Well anyway, an exciting semi-update! I'm surprised Italy has a helicopter, a gyrocopter maybe, but not helicopter, unless they where borrowing one from Spain or Germany, or something. It was simply a very poorly designed, twin engined areoplane.
Italy had a helicopter. Not anymore.

Lovely =) That anachronism Bob can be a pain in the ass, can't he? ^^

Btw, ain't Ethiopia left-wing radical or something like that? In that case, Hemi-Lobster perhaps has a place in the empire?

Semi-Lobster said:
No, Ethiopia was only Left Wing Radical back in HoI and it seemed to be a mistake or something.

Maybe they based it on all the wannabe-communist teenagers who carry Ethiopian flags with Selassie (or however it is spelled)?

Not bad. Is anything at all happenning on the northern front?

I'm showcased!

http://www.europa-universalis.com/forum/showpost.php?p=3916120&postcount=33

So all of you guys are showcased vicariously. Congratulations.

Nothing's happening in the northern front, though in the near future, something will. You'll see.

Don't know what's up with the communist thing, and Semi-Lobster is right about the LWR label in HOI being inaccurate.

I'm having a bit of trouble with this next update, though the update after that I have.

H.I.M. Haile Sellassie: Semi-Lobster! I haven’t seen you for a while. What have you been doing lately?

Semi-Lobster: Well, Anachronism Bob was getting kind of annoying. So I got him a job.

H.I.M. Haile Sellassie: Really? Great! What job did you get him?

Semi-Lobster: Broadcast News Anchor.

H.I.M. Haile Sellassie: Interesting...

Snazzy news music plays. Camera pans to two men sitting at a desk, looking very professional.

Bob: Good evening, and welcome to the first edition of Ethiopian News. News for Ethiopians, by Ethiopians, about Ethiopians, with Ethiopians and Ethiopians, possibly involving a few more things with the word ‘Ethiopian’.

Jim: Our top story tonight: Spain erupts into civil war over the proper use of proper nouns in Scrabble.

screensave826on.png

Bob: The argument has split Spain in twain, with the Nationalists, or “Fascists”, arguing for the allowed usage of common proper nouns such as major cities and famous generals, and the Republicans, or “Godless Commie Anarchists”, arguing that such actions will devalue the game, as now you can simply, and I quote, “Pull names out of your ass” to win.

Jim: The fighting is expected to get intense in the next few months as the major European powers are expected to aid their ideological brethren with supplies and volunteers. It is a well-known fact that both the Germans and the Italians support the usage of well-known proper nouns in Scrabble.

Bob: Therefore, since everybody hates the Italians and their silly moustaches, H.I.M. Emperor Haile Sellassie, the Conquering Lion of the Tribe of Judah, Elect of God, and King of Kings has decreed Ethiopia’s support for the Republican effort, even if they are godless commies.

Jim: To that effort, since Ethiopia has been landlocked by those Italian bastards, the Emperor has passed a law prohibiting the usage of proper nouns in Scrabble, with violators to be shot on sight. Since all of the guns are being used for the war effort, however, violators will simply have their Scrabble boards taken away and be given to that younger cousin that they always hated.

Bob: In other news, the Army of Tigray, led by one Lt. General Wehib Pasha, has recently arrived in Ginir, strengthening the position of the Imperial Army in that province.

screensave815os.png

Jim: Indeed, Bob.

Bob: Indeed, Jim.

Awkward silence.

Bob: Now, in the technological sector! Gemgiabet has recently finished their work on 1936 level infantry, and have switched their focus to Basic Construction Engineering.

screensave831sx.png

Jim: But by Imperial fiat, they have switched their focus again to Static Anti-Air Artillery. They are expected to finish their research by the end of this year.

screensave07jf.png

Bob: I suppose that soon we will see the steel barrels of Anti-Air guns being raised towards the sky.

Jim: Nice Freudian slip there, Bob.

Bob: Up yours, Jim.

screensave10of.png

Jim: Speaking of shoving things up other things, the Ethiopian Army has recently engaged in a major offensive against the Italian forces in Harer and Moyale.

screensave23il.png

Bob: Indeed, and just now we are getting news that the offensive into Harer has failed! It seems that the defeat is entirely the fault of one Lt. General Tariku, commander of the Imperial Army. It seems that Tariku will be replaced with one General Hapte Mikael, who will join in the offensive against the Italians in Moyale as soon as possible.

screensave35yk.png

screensave47da.png

Jim: When reached for comment, Tariku declined, muttering, “Shut the hell up and get that f$&#ing camera out of my face.”

Bob: Wait, how do you know that?

Jim: Know what?

Bob: Know what Tariku said? We just got the news. How did we get an interview that quick?

Jim: I have no clue. I’m just reading the TelePrompTer.

Bob: TelePrompTer? *twitch* TelePrompTer!? That’s an anachronism!

Jim: *whispering* Bob.... Ix-nay on the nachronism-ay

Bob: No, I won’t! This whole program is an anachronism! There were no news programs in 1936! Does the Emperor have a TV? No! There were no broadcasting stations in Ethiopia in 1936!

Jim: Bob...

Bob: And this suit is an anachronism! And this desk is an anachronism! *Pounds desk, then jumps on top of it* Lucite! This TelePrompTer is an anachronism! *Kicks teleprompter, laughs insanely*

*Two men enter the room, wearing uniforms of the Imperial Guard with Ethiopian flags sewn onto their shoulders. They are armed with tranquilliser guns.*

Bob: Tranquillisers? Now we really are being anachronistic! I- *Gurgles, falls down unconscious, tranquilliser dart sticking out of his neck.*

Jim: Wait, is that the Ethiopian flag? Because that’s really the flag of the Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, with the star. The Ethiopian flag of today is supposed to have a lion in the middle. That one has the star, see? All right, I‘ll fall unconscious now. *Gurgles, falls down unconscious.*

Last edited:
Since all of the guns are being used for the war effort, however, violators will simply have their Scrabble boards taken away and be given to that younger cousin that they always hated.

Which counts as "cruel and unusual punishment" by anyone's standards. That Haile Selassie's mean!

General Graziani looked over one of his militia regiments as they busied themselves preparing for the next Ethiopian attack. He was proud of them, in a way, as they had managed to repel completely another Ethiopian attack a few weeks before. But the Ethiopians were attacking his position in Moyale yet again, and Graziani had to defend again with only lousy militiamen. The battle had already lasted a few days, and this was the skirmish that would determine who would win this struggle. He was on top of a hill, with the militiamen in three defensive lines below. The Ethiopians would come soon, all he had to do was wait.

screensave80bb.png

screensave92ez.png

“General, I-a think that you-a should come and look-a at this,” called the regimental sentry, who was the only other soul sharing this hilltop.

Graziani sauntered over to the sentry, who was using the regiment’s only field glass. In fact, he was the only one in the regiment authorised to use the field glass, due to the fact that he knew that you were supposed to look through the small end. “What is it, sentry?” he asked.

“Mia God...” Graziani could hear the sheer terror in the young sentry’s voice.

“What is it, sentry?” Graziani repeated.

“Mia God...” the sentry repeated, then gulped. “They’re-a....they’re-a Belgians, sir.”

“What?” Graziani took the field glass from the sentry and peered through it. “No... not Belgians. But I’m afraid that they’re just as worse.”

“Dutch?” The sentry visibly paled from the thought.

“No, not Dutch. At least we have been spared that. No... They are Ethiopians, that were trained by Belgians into their ways of war...”

“The-a Belgian ways of war... May-a God help us all...”

The Belgian-trained Ethiopians were indeed fearsome, marching and acting all the while as if they were Belgians. They might have as well have been. For one, they were holding cardboard tubes and strange round containers instead of rifles and grenades. Of course, the Italian militiamen were no better. Due to the rifle shortage, (caused by the recent rifle tree blight that was spreading in northern Italy’s arboretums) the Italian militiamen had been armed with baguettes.

But strangely, for some reason, some of the Ethiopia-Belgians were marching in threes while inside a cardboard box they were holding around their sides. Peering through the field glass, Graziani could read the word ‘Tank’ written prominently onto the side of each of those cardboard boxes. Graziani now understood. They were Belgian tanks.

One of the aforementioned Belgian tanks approached one of the few Italian tanks that had been attached to the regiment on the front line. The Italian tank turned towards it and fired its cannon. Unfortunately, the Italian tank’s turret was backwards, and the cannon shot ended up killing seventeen Italian soldiers. But before the tank crew could turn the turret around, the Belgian ‘tank’’s lead crewman shouted ‘Bang!” at its Italian counterpart, which was destroyed in a huge fireball as its fuel tank and ammunition store ignited.

Graziani smacked his forehead as similar incidents repeated themselves while the Ethiopians reamed through the first line.

But the second line would be more difficult to break, as they were entrenched in, well, trenches. Of course, the Italian militiamen had claimed that they had dug the trench, but Graziani knew that the trench had been there all along. After all, Italian militiamen were too lazy to dig trenches. Anyways, the trench indeed worked, as no matter how many times the Belgian ‘tanks’ shouted “Bang!” at the entrenched Italian soldiers, none of them fell dead. Supposedly, the imaginary shells simply flew over the heads of the Italians in the trench.

Then, the Belgianified Ethiopians opened their round containers, showing that they were not carrying grenades, but something far worse.

“Belgian waffles...” Graziani was now trembling in fear for those poor, doomed Italians soldiers in the second line. Shouting the Belgian warcry, the Belgiano-Ethiopios raised their Belgian waffles and leaped into the trench, using Belgian stabbing techniques to deadify their enemies. The Italians tried to fight back with their baguettes, but it was no use. Soon, every militiaman in the trench was dead.

belgianwaffle1dj.png

“The Ethiopian-Belgians are reaching the third line!” Graziani panicked.

“Do-a not worry, General! Do-a you-a remember that moat we were supposed to dig?”

“Yes. Have you idiots actually managed to do something right?”

“Well, not-a really. But we-a have the next best thing.” At this point, the third line of Italian militiamen unfurled the ground, or in other words the giant sand-coloured tarp that concealed a....

Pair of lines drawn in the sand twenty yards apart, labelled prominently with the word ‘Moat’.

“What!?” yell/asked a furious Graziani. “What is that going to do!?”

“But-a remember, General. These-a Ethiopians are-a trained in the Belgian ways of-a war. The Belgian ways of-a war.”

Graziani suddenly understood. “I see, the Belgian ways of war!” They both laughed, as they watched as the Ethiopio-Belgianic infantry approached the drawn lines, read what it was supposed to be, and came to a complete halt.

Graziani grinned from ear to ear. Perhaps they would win after all. Soon the entire Ethiopia-Belgian army was on the other side of the ‘moat’, staring at the Italian defenders on the other side, who were making funny faces in return.

But what happened next shocked them all, as the Belgio-Ethiopic soldiers began to cross out the ‘Tank’ on the side of their ‘tanks’, and write in ‘Battleship’. Then the infantrymen piled in the ‘Battleships‘, and together they proceeded to cross the ‘Moat’. The Belgian tanks had turned into a Belgian Armada...

Just then, a messenger ran up to General Graziani, saluted, then proceeded to read, very very loudly, his message.

“Sir! Belgian Nucelar and Biological weapons have been launched from Brussels!”

“What!?”

“Sorry.” He turned the paper upside-down. “Sir! Mussolini demands to know why you have not given his alarm clock its celery bath!”

“WHAT!?”

“Sorry again, sir.” The messenger sheepishly turned the paper ninety degrees to the right. “Your wife is hot!”

“Sorry, General Graziani,” the sentry intervened before the situation grew worse, “this-a here-a is Dyslexic Dan. Si, his-a eyes are-a always crossed like that.” Graziani could now see that the messenger’s eyes were indeed very crossed. The sentry took the message from the cross-eyed messenger and proceeded to read it. “Sorry for-a leaving you-a in-a your time-a of need, but we’re-a all cowardly militiamen with-a low org. Sincerely, the-a rest of your-a two divisions.” The sentry looked up. “Sorry, mia General.”

“It is all right, sentry. It is not your fault.“ He turned to Dyslexic Dan. “Messenger, you are dismissed.” The messenger saluted and promptly ran headlong into a wall. Which was quite amazing, because the nearest wall was at least thirty miles away from the sun-blasted desert in which they were standing.

Graziani sighed again. “Is all of the Italian Army made up of incompetents such as these?” he lamented. When he looked down at the battle still going on below, he received his answer. The Ethiopic-Belgian ‘Armada’ had reached the other side of the ‘moat’ and were in the process of crossing out the ‘Battleship’ painted on their sides and writing in ‘Tank’ again. Then they proceeded to move forward, yelling “Bang!” at the defending Italian soldiers, who promptly began falling over dead. The ones who weren’t dead kept trying to fire their baguettes at the ‘Tanks’, with no avail. With the last line of defence clearly broken, the Belgianised Ethiopians would reach Graziani and the hill-top soon.

“Sentry,” Graziani began speaking to the sentry, “As the only competent soldier in the Italian Army, it is imperative that you escape from this battle alive. I will hold those Ethiopia-Belgics off by myself.”

“Truly-a, sir? Thank-a you.” Then the sentry ran off to the south, towards which the rest of Graziani’s low-org militiamen had fled.

Thus Graziani faced the Belgian-Ethiopics that were advancing up the hillside alone. Summoning all of his reserve energy, he released the infamous Italian Battle Cry. While the rest of the Italian Army at this point could have been defeated by an army of angry toddlers, the one thing that the Italians had going for them was their awesome battle cry. Combining the emotions of passion, anger, revenge, and avoiding latrine duty whenever possible, the mighty Italian Battle Cry encompassed all of the emotions needed for a soldier to do his duty. Unfortunately, to encompass all of these emotions, the Italian Battle Cry had to be a little over three hours in length. By the time ten minutes of the famous Italian Battle Cry had passed, the Belgio-Ethiopian soldiers had surrounded Graziani and the hilltop. Then they waited for the next two hours and fifty-seven minutes, until Graziani finally finished the cry, realised that he was surrounded, and surrendered.

screensave124py.png

Last edited:
Didums. I kinda feel sorry for Graziani.

Alright, I've added some pictures. Three screenshots and a picture of a Belgian waffle. Also, it seems as if the Weekly Showcase AwAARd has killed my readership...

I'm down to two! Just like old times!

Oh bugger, twas certainly not my intention.

Oh, those sneaky Belgians and their art of war!
There is something so wicked and twisted in the idea of storming the entreched hilltop using battleships!

:D