• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
dogalshield.png
Senators of this most noble Consigglio,

When the Signoria proposed the illustrious and wise senators a campaign against our life-long enemies, the Genoese, I was surprised by the alliance between the senators of the Golden Party and the Blue Party to support this war.

Few times a war against one of our neighbours has been so popular in this Consigglio. The unity between all Venetians was very auspicious. Because of it, it is very hard for me to bring you such bad news today.

Senators, the war is a disaster. After five years at war we still have not achieved our goals. The flower of our youth lays wasted in the shores of the Black Sea. The fortress of Kerch still resists us. I am speechless and covered in shame. The law forbids me from resigning to my position as your doge, otherwise I would not be speaking today at this Council. I will leave to Capitano Generale Fodoroni, who shares responsibility for this failure, to fill in the details of the on-going campaign in the other thread, but I will give you the political situation of these last five years.

While the war started very promising to us, a meteor sighting in December 1494 was justly considered a bad omen, decreasing the stability in our realm. Despite it, our Greek subjects showed their loyalty by converting to the true religion in Ionia and Morea, while the traitors in Macedonia not only refused to convert, but took the arms against us and had to be subdued by force. In the international front, our diplomacy was unable to sabotage the peace agreement between the Ottoman Empire and Hungary, whose weak new king inexplicably surrendered Bosnia despite being in a promising war situation, due to the many defeats that the Genoese and the Knights had accumulated against the Turk.

Despite being knee-deep into a dragging war, a Foreign drill instructor offer was rejected in 1496, for being considered outrageous. We will have to do with national instructors that are deemed adequate for their cost.

Again the traitors in Macedonia rebelled in 1497, followed by a demonstration of unhappiness among peasantry for the duress of the war. The peasant rebellion in Firenze was also squashed. We should be aware that our subjects will not tolerate this war for much longer.

1497.jpg

And now the bad news. Due to war mounting costs, administrative salaries have been cut, payment on state bonds suspended, our inflation has risen by 1.2% to a 6.0% and we are requesting donations of money and personal jewelry to contribute to the war effort. Our commerce has suffered considerably from the war, as many sailors and merchant galleys have been conscripted. Our Trade has diminished by a 15%.

In the chapter of war casualties, both by attrition and in combat, we have lost the staggering number of 46,000 infantry and 22,000 cavalry. Fortunately our navy has fared better and we have lost only 5 galleys. So the cost of the war (in thousands of ducats) can be summarized as:

Code:
war extra land maintenance:   218D
war extra naval maintenance:   96D
Lost infantry:                690D
Lost cavalry:                 704D
Lost galleys:                  50D
Lost trade (estimate):        112D
--------                    ------
Total cost:                 1,870D

This cost does not take into account the 1.2% inflation incurred or the loss of income due to increased war-exhaustion and enemy looting in Lombardia. Even if we acquire the Center of Trade at Kerch, it will be a long time before we can recover this expense.

This is indeed a dark hour for Venice. When the Signoria became aware that the Genoese were going to present a desperate resistance in Kerch, a decision had to be taken. Wether to continue the war knowing that it would be long and expensive (just how long we couldn't imagine) or to call it off and accept the cash compensations that Genoa was willing to pay. After the loses outlined above, no cash compensation could be accepted by the Signoria, and only the acquisition of Kerch will be considered a partial compensation.

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1498.
74.jpg

Perhaps it is I who owes us all an apology. I knew how to vote. I knew what my father had taught me. I should have been stronger. Yet, I was also weary of hearing the squawking about Kerch from all and when we found Genoa alone. . . Perhaps the loss of my dear friend Dandolo also drove me to defend his normal position. In any case, I knew better! My father warned us of this very thing long ago when the clamor for Kerch grew loud again. I apologize for my weakness.

What good would an investigation do? Those actions are done. However, once they landed the reinforcements, I would rather have had you tell me that we sued for peace rather than attack a defended position like that. I would have been more pleased with that ill report, but it is done.

You have not told us of the finale, I assume, because you cannot get the Genoese to the negotiation table. To me, while our losses are grievous, it would be worse, insulting even to the families of the dead, to back down now. Even if our inflation must rise a bit more, you must reinforce, rebuild the armies and press on till we bring the war to a favorable conclusion.

We must now pray diligently that our enemies will not use this moment to teach us a lesson for our arrogance. We all know the proper moment to strike is when your enemy is distracted or seriously engaged (hopefully beaten down). Were I to want to attack Venice, now would be a good time. Hopefully our diplomats are active to keep our neighbors happy with us while we clean up this mess.

Eduardo Cornaro

1494-1498 Account:

Year 1494
-Recruited 7,000 inf. for 105D in Thrace
-Recruited 4,000 inf. for 60D in Macedonia
-We declared war to Genoa and The Knights. Albania was not invited
Stability decreased by -1 to +1
Investment shifted to minting after war disasters
Meteor sighted happened to us (Stab. -1, increased revolt risk for 12 months)
Investment shifted to stability

Important international events nearby
Hungary surrendered Bosnia to the Ottoman Empire

Our diplomacy

Year 1495
Andrea Loredan, new naval leader (3, 2, 3)
-Recruited 10,000 cav. and 3,000 inf. for 365D in Veneto
Liguria was conquered
Refinery completed in Napoli
Stability increased to +1
Inquisition succesful in Ionia
Inquisition succesful in Morea
Inquisition failed in Macedonia

Our diplomacy

Year 1496
Francesco Gonzaga, land leader, died.
Stability increased to +2
Investment shifted to research
-Recruited 2,000 cav. and 5,000 inf. for 139D in Thrace
Foreign drill instructor happened to us. We declined
-Recruited 1,000 inf. for 15D in Corfu

Our diplomacy

Year 1497
Investment shifted to minting
Rebellion in Macedonia
Unhappyness among peasantry happened to us (Stab. -1 rebellion in Firenze)
-Recruited 4,000 inf. for 65D in Thrace

Hungary and Bohemia entered alliance with Poland, Livonian Order and Brittany.

Our diplomacy
-Renewed royal marriage with Austria (relationship -12)

Year 1498
Vincenzo Polani, new naval leader (2, 2, 1)
Investment shifted to research

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1498 Report (December)[/size]

1498b.jpg

Economy
Stability +2
Stability cost = 728D/level
Treasury = 243D
Inflation 6.0%

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1493    20
1498    20

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5
1498     177.85     175.82    29.5

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7
1498      39.0     17.9      14.6     0.0     72.0       -4.3

34 merchants in CoTs (-6). 4.2 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 64% (first nation). Production efficiency is 48%

National
Monarch Agostino Barbarigo
Military Good (7)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33 38 43 48 53 58 63 68 73 78 83 88 93 98
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  5  -  -  -  -  4  2  -
Centralization     3  4  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  7  6  -  5  6  7  8  -
Innovative         4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  4  5  -  -  -  -  -  6  -  -  -  -  -  7  -
Offensive          2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  4  -  -  -  -  4  -
Land               2  -  3  2  -  -  1  -  -  2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Quality            6  -  7  6  7  -  6  -  -  7  -  8  -  -  -  -  -
Serfdom            4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  2  1  -  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 4 + 44% (1505, 10%)
Naval 4 + 97% (1499, 15%)
Trade 4 + 73% (1504, 40%)
Infrastructure 3 + 46% (1523, 35%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Refinery in Napoli (finished in 1495)

Military

Leaders:
Andrea Loredan, admiral (Naval 3, 2, 3)
Vincenzo Polani, admiral (Naval 2, 2, 1)

Army 12k infantry, 21k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% is 2.7 D/month
Army support limit = 81 000 (17 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 15D
Cavalry 32D

Navy 6 warships, 75 galleys, 17 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.6 D/month
Navy support limit = 175
Cost of naval units:
warships 42D
Galleys 10D
Transports 14D

Manpower pool = 39 (19,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Albania
Bad Boy 13.5/38 tarnished
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Aragon

1498c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Aragon (Spain RM MA)
Venice (Albania)
Genoa (The Knights)
Savoy RM MA (Denmark, Scotland, Austria RM MA, Meissen, Brandenburg)
North:
Bavaria (Palatinate)
Switzerland
Danubian:
Hungary (Poland, Livonian Order, Brittany, Bohemia)
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Wallachia
Moldavia
OE (Transoxiana)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen)
Black sea:
Georgia (Theodoros RM MA, Russia)
Other:
Portugal (Berg)
Burgundy (France, Baden)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Papal States and Albania are vassals of Venice
Bohemia and Hungary are vassals of Poland
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Aragon is a vassal of Spain.

4) Changes in our area:
Hungary surrendered Bosnia to the Ottoman Empire

[size=+1]Election 33. 1499-1529 Research investments and minting policies[/size]

This election deals with the budget window and all its options.

1. Peacetime research

Stablish the ideal position of the sliders according to you during peace time in percentages. For example:
1. L 10%, N 10%, T 0%, I 80%
The results will be averaged to voters not to % (i.e. three votes for a 0% versus one for 100% for Land will result in 0%, not 25%).

Our current technological situation is:
Land 4 + 44% (1505, 10%)
Naval 4 + 97% (1499, 15%)
Trade 4 + 73% (1504, 40%)
Infraestructure 3 + 46% (1523, 35%)

2. Stability

Our stability takes two years to raise on its own (more if we grow). State when should we direct our investment into the stability slider

A. Never
B. When we are at X stability and until we reach Y stability

For example:
2. B from -1 to +2

3. Minting
Our current inflation is 6.0%.
State your advise over the following aspects for the next 30 years, if you answer yes to several, order them by preference:

A. Mint for general expenses (merchants, armies)
B. Mint to maintain a 200D reserve fund
C. Mint for a manufactury (specify)
D. Mint to convert non-state religion provinces
E. Recommended mint limit

So, for example, an answer would be:
3. A No, B yes, C yes (refinery), D yes, E 7%, C>B>D
This would be interpreted as 100% minting at some point up to 7%. Once enough money build a refinery, with the rest of the money over the 200D reserve fund attempt conversions. Location of manus will be discussed separately. If you don't think we should mint, just answer no to A-D, then all those expenses would be obtained through saving from census taxes.

[size=+1]Election 34. 1499-1509 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

[size=+1]Election 35. Trade Diplomacy[/size]

We get constant offers to establish trade agreements. In the next decades most european countries will reach trade level 4 allowing them to ban our merchants. It is a general policy that countries that don't own CoTs don't get trade agreements, yet some are very likely to get one in the future, and perhaps not all countries that own CoTs should get a trade agreement being the reasons the 1% reduction in our trade efficiency and the possibility to obtain a CB through a trade ban. From the following list of european countries:

France (Ile de France)
Genoa (Liguria)
Portugal (Tago)
Burgundy (Flandern)
Russia (Tula)
Livonian Order (Livland)
Denmark (Sjaelland)
Poland (Danzing)

Spain (none)
Ottoman Empire (none)
Austria (none)

1. State the countries that we should actively seek a trade agreement with them or accept one when offered.

Countries not in 1 will be ignored and we will not accept a trade agreement when offered.

Trade bans: Trade bans will reduce our trade efficiency and trade research, but at mercantilism 7 we can afford 4 trade bans for free. Trade bans also give a permanent CB to the receiver.

2. Do you favor banning some countries while at war with them?
3. If we decide in favor of banning, which countries you would like to see banned?

For example:
1. France, Burgundy, Spain, Austria, Portugal
2. No
3. OE, Genoa, Papal States, Baden, Palatinate, the Knights

This election will be repeated when muslim countries are about to reach trade level 4 (probably after 1600).

Two days without a vote? Oh man, I am being punished for not conquering Kerch. The Venetian masters had a well deserved fame for being hard.

Fodoron said:
Two days without a vote? Oh man, I am being punished for not conquering Kerch. The Venetian masters had a well deserved fame for being hard.

Don't be so harsh with you, Captain Fodoroni. Sometimes also the Senators must take a rest from their political & mercantile activities. Our family affairs reclaim us... :)

Yes, this would be a very busy moment for me, family in town, grading papers for school, church, crazy busy. Plus, as I've said before, I'm not all that invested in the election 33 and 35. I will vote, but its more that when I glance at the question, I know it will take me more time to try and figure it out. :rofl: I'm just slow at some things. LOL

Election 33.
1. Peacetime research
Land 20%
Naval 20%
Trade 30%
Infrastructure 30%

2. Stability
B. When stability is 2 or lower, raise to 3

3. Minting
A. yes B. Yes C. no D. no E. 7% A>B

Election 34.

1. Dear Friends: Naples, Cyprus, Albania, Savoy, Hungary, The Knights, Papal states

2. Friends:Tirol, Austria

3. Adversaries: Aragon, Portugal, Savoy

4. Enemies: OE, Genoa

5. W A R

Election 35.
1. none
2. yes
3. OE, Genoa, Portugal

I'm not that familiar with how trade agreements work however I have attempted to make as good a vote as I can

Code:
Election 33
1. L 10 N 10 T 40 I 40

2 B from -1 to 2

3 A No B Yes C Yes(refinery) D If high ADM E unlimited
If high ADM B > D > C else B > C

Election 34
1 DF: Albania, Papal States, Hungary, Knights
2 F: France, Spain/Castile
3 A: Portugal, Savoy, Austria, OE
4 E: Genoa, Aragon
5: Peace

Election 35
1. France, Spain
2. No
3. OE, Aragon

Hi guys--sorry it took so long. Hey Fodoron, in our "invitation" thread, we had two people (famous people--Samuel Clemens and HoChiMihn--wow) who wanted to join. I told them to just come on, but perhaps a PM from you is in order.

Election 33

1. L 0%, N 0%, T0%, I 100%

Come on people, if our infrastructure stays BELOW our armies, we will eventually get eaten alive! Think long term here! :)

2. B anything below 0, raise UP TO 0

3. A--yes to armies during war
B--no
C--yes
D--yes
E--whatever it takes

Election 34

1. Albania, Cyprus [did that event happen yet?], Savoy
2. Bavaria, France, Bohemia, Austria, Castille, Portugal, Aragon, Savoy
3. Hungary, Genoa, Papal States, OE, Burgundy
4. NONE--We need to stay at PEACE for the next 10 years to recover
5. Peace

Election 35
You mean YOU GUYS ACTUALLY USE trade embargoes? :rofl:

1. Portugal (maybe--I usually say no)
2. NO
3. Uh, didn't I just say no? HAHA I'm in a funny mood and I'm certainly not speaking in character. Hmm, perhaps we SHOULD embargo the OE so they'll declare war on us and we can finish what we started in the Balkans.

OK, count that as a vote for the OE.

"Fellow senators, your highness the doge, we are a trading republic, and staying true to the heritgae of ours as Europe's perhaps most able traders, I say we should spend our money at increasing our trading ability. However, I am not saying that all our money should be put into use to look for effective ways of trade, for a mercantile empire as ours is nothing without good roads and as our empire, for that is indeed what we have made of our republic by now, must be held together, and for that we need efficient ways to transfer information and to travel. We should thus not only improve out trade, but also our infrastructure.
Furthermore, what is a maritime nation such as ours without its navy? We should send a bit of our investments into building better ships, to match our opponents for mastery of the seas.
However, our armed forces should not be left without money, but their budget shouldn't be as large as the navy's."

Code:
L 5%, N 10%, T 50%, I 40%

"Now, it is a well known thing that the people want their bread and wine, and we should give them just that, but only when it is needed and we want the people to like us, perhaps in times of political trouble or instability."

Code:
B -1 or lower until 1

"Now, while we can invest our money into other enterprises as well, such as for example building a navy or an army, I advise against it. We should instead aim at having our trading pay for these enterprises instead."

Code:
A. No B. No C. No D. No E. 1%

"As for now, I also think we should take a peaceful stance and not enter any more wars if it is avoidable."

LandoHohenzollern.gif

Giovanni Lando​

Last edited:
Dearest Senators-

I, Giancarlo Giustinian bid you well in these defining days of our great Republic. Upon my appointment as senator, I have done my best to help put my family in order in the hopes that we might be able to move beyond some of our less illustrious moments in our otherwise proud history. After that, I began communicating with some of the magistrates(?) in Cyprus about acquiring an estate there. Not only have I acquired my estate, but upon visiting the province, I was shocked to learn that the Cypriots worry that they are isolated from us and would make a likely target for an attack from one of the heathen nations such as the
Mamelukes or the Turks. I do not think these fears the Cypriots have are valid, but I do feel they are worth investigating if only to placate the masses. Therefor, I say we must do what we can to spread the Salvation of our Lord be it through education or by our swords.

Now, as to the matter of how to fund our nation in times of peace, here is how I believe we ought to delegate our priorities.

Miozozny said:
Code:
[/i]Election 33
1. L 5 N 15 T 45 I 35
2 B from -1 to 1
3 A yes 
B no 
C Yes(refinery) 
D yes 
E 5%[i]

Now, I know that some of my fellow senators have pointed out that we are no longer merely a naval Republic, I believe our involvement with Genoa has proven that once again we need to re-dedicate some of our focus to regaining what are rightfully our seas. Further, if we are indeed the premier trading country as I have heard rumor, then why is it that the
iberians are beyond us in terms of discovering new lands to trade in and new goods to trade. We should not be the ones trading others' goods! I propose that if the possibility were to arise, that we begin funding expeditions to new lands.

That is merely a whim, though, a thought that may or may not come to realization unless we make it so. Toward what is currently in front of us, it is my belief that our continued domination of the Pope is doing nothing more than villifying us amongst the papists and giving him more credence as a martyr. If possible, we should bring him alongside us as one of our allies and release his domain as a sign to other nations that we have proven our dominance and now we are showing our merciful side.

Miozozny said:
Code:
[/i]Election 34
1 DF: Albania, Papal States, Hungary, Knights
2 F: France, Spain/Castile
3 A: OE, Egypt, Genoa
4 E: None for now
5: Peace[i]

I believe it would be in our best interest to pacify the heathens and teach them the way of our Lord, though it will be risky. We should not be the ones who make the initial attack, though, and should take on a defensive role. By embargoing them, we may be able to provoke them and then we will be all the more right in putting them down should they dare attack.

Miozozny said:
Code:
[/i]Election 35
1. Portugal, Spain, France
2. yes
3. Egypt, OE, Genoa[i]

Overall, I think we should strengthen our defenses and our garrisons along the borders of the heathen nations, including our garrison in Cyprus to help ease the Cypriot fears. By dealing with the less civilized who know not the word of Our Lord, we can allow the other great nations to relax and view us as less likely a warmongering threat that needs to be taken care of with immense strength of numbers. After all, while we are in the right, it will merely take the rest of the world longer to realize such, so we would be wise not to provoke them.

-Senator Giancarlo Giustinian

Last edited:
Fellow Senators,

I beg pardon for my absense.

I have been in Rome to arrange my engagement to a young noble women from Vittorio Veneto in our hinterlands. Her brother is a Cardinal in the Eternal City and I had to visit there with him.

I will cast my votes when I have had a chance to review recent events.

Regards,

Eduardo Gandolfi

(BTW, the part about Rome and engagement is true :) )

Dear Eduardo,

We congratulate with you about your engagement.
Might God bless your union. For sure, having a Cardinal as brother-in-law will help :D

dogalshield.png
Dear senator Gandolfi,

I also congratulate you on your engagement. I hope we can soon inscribe your wedding in the Libro d'Oro, so your sons can become permanent members of the Maggior Consiglio at 25, as their noble birth guarantees.

I hope you took the oportunity of your trip to Rome to discuss the interests of our beloved city with your future brother-in-law. If not, I urge you to write him. The Signoria is most worried by recent developments with the Spanish Pope Alexander VI (Rodrigo Borgia). As you all know we don't have an ambassador at the Porte since our last war with the Turk, but our citizen Andrea Gritti, the wealthiest Venetian merchant in Constantinople, has informed us that Georgio Buzardo, the Papal ambassador that concluded an agreement between Alexander VI and Bayezid II against Charles VIII, was sent again two years ago in 1496. His mission is to poison the relationships between Venice and the Ottoman Empire and try to induce the Sultan to declare war to us*.

Any help we can have on this matter will be greatly rewarded (a knightship of St. Mark could be considered).

Your Serene Doge,

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1498.
74.jpg

*Historically accurate.

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

Honorable Senators, dearest Doge
I have just got back happy to be alive from the fighting in Lombardia, only to become dismayed and depressed from reading the dispatches. What awful news! But what could we expect from the Genoese, our enemies for far longer than has passed since Osman founded his realm in Anatolia. I will soon return with my votes, as soon as my business back home is settled, and the servants properly punished for their lazyness during my absense. An explanation of how my forces could be so utterly defeated in the battle of Cremona on April 27, 1494 will also follow.
Regards,
Senator Pascal Barbarigo

Last edited:
Cornaro_G.gif

aegandolfi said:
I have been in Rome to arrange my engagement to a young noble women
from Vittorio Veneto in our hinterlands. Her brother is a Cardinal in
the Eternal City and I had to visit there with him.

Congratulations dear Senator Gandolfi! We should throw a party in your honor! My family has several great estates and houses should you wish to celebrate. Having been now happily married for 15 yearstrue bliss my friends I can only offer deep prayers for your continued happiness.

Is her brother TRULY a cardinal? Perhaps you should speak again to him on our behalf.

Dear Senator Giustinian, welcome. Since our family has successfully,hmm, arranged, for my dear cousin to hand over the Throne of Cyprus to our glorious Republic, any matters in which they might have had concerns of national visions are certainly our concern.

I would also offer that I do not think that the Hungarians are in any way interested in being our friends. Sadly, since the mid 1450s, the time of my dear father, Carlo Cornaro, the Hungarians have been a negative force in the Balkans and even abandoned us in our hour of Crusade against the infidel Turks. Fortunately, our wise Doge has been able to maintain positive relations with the Hapsburgs of Austria. In any case, we have looked warily for the past decade at the Hungarians and oft thought about how to prepare to war with them. Recently they have been handled for the worst by the infidel, allowing me YET AGAIN, to remind everyone that the threat from the Turk is NOT OVER and we MUST focus to end that issue.

Senator Lando, well said! I fully agree with your assertion that we need to focus on our infrastructure and trade. However, experience would seem to dictate that we will arrive more quickly at our long range goals by choosing one or the other. As you will remember from the Doge's last report, our infrastructure is only at level 3 (very poor) and thus you can see "why" I placed my vote to have our investments go only to infrastructure. If we keep a middling way, trying to do all at once my dear Senators, we will accomplish little and find ourselves economically crushed in some distant century.

Welcome one and all and let us prepare the party for our dear friend!

Eduardo Cornaro, now preparing at least ONE of our mansions for a party! :)

Fellow Senators, Noble Doge, Revered Captain General Fodoroni,

Thanks to all for their warm wishes on my enagement.

Given the recent events I of course spent much time discussing our affairs with my future brother-in-law, Cardinal D'Alliessi. Unfortunately, as he is from our beloved Veneto, he has little influence over the Borgia scum who hold the Papacy, not having supported his ascension. He is a true man of God, unlike these Borgias with their concubines and illegitimate spawn.

(BTW, IRL my future brother-in-law is a priest, but not a Cardinal, yet )

I am much dismayed by the war with Genoa. While my family has never viewed Genoa as our principle foe, I did support this war, with the limited objective of taking Kerch. However, the tactical conduct of this was has been abysmal. To attack across a strait in the face of near equal numbers is sheer madness. I urge the general in command be relieved and brought to Venice for trial, if he is still among the living, which I hope he is not, for his sake at least.

Never-the-less, now that a siege is begun, we should perservere, and take the city. Once that is done, I urge immediate peace, seeking only Kerch.

Regards,

Eduardo Gandolfi, my formal votes follow.

Election 33
1. Land 50%, Naval 5%, Trade 10%, Infra 35%
2. B. 0 to +1
3. A No, B No, C No, D No

Election 34
1. DF Albania, Knights, Austria
2. F Papal States, Castile, Portugal, England, France (we should seek to trade maps)
3. Ad OE, Genoa, Egypt, Savoie
4. None
5. Peace

Election 35
1. Portugal (their explorations will make their TOC's rich)
2. Yes
3. OE, Genoa

Sorry, only cold votes this time:

Code:
Election 33
1. L30% N30% T10% I30%
2. B from -3 to +1
3. Mint only for C and D, until 10% inflation

Code:
Election 35
1. Portugal
2. Yes
3. IIRC, the Knights and small Italian states can be quite disappointing with their mercantile activity in Venice. Is it right? Anyway, I can't state any particular country to ban