• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Senator Dandolo,

It is good to see you freed from your unjust imprisonment. Welcome back to the Senate.

Eduardo Gandolfi

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​
I'm about to depart on a long trip to the north, here's my hasty vote. I will likely miss the some meetings, due to this trip.
Obtain a new CB on Genoa by sending a lot of merchants, and try to get a monopoly there.

Code:
DF: Cyprus, Savoy, The Knights
F: Tirol, Austria
A: Aragon, Hungary
E: Genoa
WAR

Dear Senators of this Serenissima Repubblica,

I am aware that the recent blockade of our maritime communications by Uskok pirates in the Adriatic, especially during the past weekend, have prevented some senators from casting their vote. More time has been alloted to allow senators to contribute with their votes to the government of our Republic. [size=+1]Please vote.[/size]

We are at a critical juncture in our history. Ludovico Sforza, better known as "il Moro" for his dark complexion, is trying to take over the government of Milan from our Governor there. As you know, the mother of Louis XI of France, "the spider-king" was Marie of Anjou, and upon the death of the last heir of her brother René of Anjou, Duke of Lorraine, who had been adopted and proclaimed heir of Naples by Joanna II Durazzo from the Neapolitan Angevine branch, the claim to the kingdom of Naples has gone to the crown of France. Ludovico is toying with the idea of inviting the French to take over Naples because he feels threatened by the marriage of his nephew Gian Galeazzo Sforza to Isabella d'Aragon, daughter of Alfonso II of Naples, and thinks that he can handle the French to his advantage. This all comes from the lack of establishment of the Sforza claims over Milan, seen by many as intruders. But in his treachery, Ludovico is playing with fire, because Luis of Orleans, current heir to the crown of France, since Charles VIII is still very young, has a solid claim on Milan from his Visconti mother.

This is all very complicated, but it is bound to lead to interesting developments in Italy, and the Venetian Republic, as current owner of both Naples and Milan would do well in carefully considering her moves. A crash between the Trastamaras and the Valois in Italy has to be played skillfully if Venice wants to survive. The next three decades will decide the future of this, no longer maritime, Republic.

For those of you that have become aware of the difficulties of our dear senator Enrico Dandolo, I must say that I do not bring good news. After being released from his unjust imprisonment, senator Dandolo felt that it was his duty to liberate others that might fall to the same situation. His efforts to bring up an uprising of the oppressed subjects in the Ottoman Empire were discovered by a traitor to the Grand Vizier, who taking matters into his own hands, ordered the beheading of poor Dandolo. He died valiantly, and his last words were directed to all of us:

Amour sacré de la patrie,
Rends-nous l'audace et la fierté:
A mon pays je dois la vie;
Il me devra sa liberté.

I am sad that my efforts to save his life did not meet with more success. My only hope is that in the near future, Dandolo's son might join our Maggiore Consiglio, as his father and grandfather did, and continue being a light beacon for all of us.

No flag, no shield as my family is in mourning. I profess clearly to all that I know that I don't understand all the inner workings of foreign governments, but I see no purpose to anyone's beheading.

I am still perplexed by our situation. Hungary scares me. The Ottoman threat still is there. I was still waiting for more information as per my last point of speaking here---what is going on in Morea; what is the status of France and Burgandy; what of any wars they are in; what of the rumors that the Valois family (yes, the same Spider King) is in some discussions with the Hapsburgs of Austria regarding Burgundy, who simply seems huge.

I apologize my doge for not voting sooner as I realized that you were waiting on me and others. I was waiting on others to help guide, including the wise Dandolo. Can you provide other info about France for me? Do we know the size of their armies, are they marching towards Italy, what is their status with Savoy? And what else of Aragon? Weren't they at war with France at one point recently?

I feel blind and thus I feel that any vote I take will do more harm than good. Please provide what other info you may have---I agree with you that this is perhaps a critical moment in our history and we are bereft of some of our best wisdom. I will continue to provide advice and a vote here in the Senate as I do feel as if I can offer good wisdom, but at this point I feel blind.

Plus, my heart hurts. There is so much pain and anguish in the larger world that it seems so silly and hurtful to bring emotional pain into our little corner of the world here. Dandolo was my friend.

Dear Cornaro,

Our ambassador at Paris confirms that under the Regency due to the minority of Charles VIII, France is still a vassal of Burgundy. This old situation is precluding any marriage attempt that I would have tried as previously expressed by the senate. France and Burgundy are almost always at war, sometimes on several fronts. The last one against Castile and Aragon. I think the war was inconclusive.

The situation in Morea is under control. The event induced rebellion was difficult to put down since we had no troops in the area and so we decided to wait for the rebels to come down from the mountains into Hellas, where our new cavalry had little problem in slaughtering them all in two battles. The province is now in the process of being retaken.

Do not be scared by anybody. Venice is big and rich. If we put all our resources into it and don't mind getting in a long expensive war, we could probably take on anybody one by one. Hungary is in a difficult situation, but might be able to turn it around. At present she does not constitute a danger, being at war against Bohemia and the Ottoman Empire.

Choose our allies and our enemies knowing that both eventually will fall within our orbit. The main issue is if war serves our purposes or if we should concentrate on economical development. As always it is a matter of preference.

still no coat of arms while in mourning. . .

OK, here we go

election 30
1. Naples, Albania, Cyprus, Savoy
2. Bavaria, France, Bohemia, Austria, Castille, Portugal, Aragon, Savoy
3. Hungary, Genoa, Papal States, OE, Tyrol, Burgundy
4. NONE--We need to stay at PEACE for the next 10 years to recover
5. Peace

I will still say we stay at peace for now. Again, though you all know my feelings about the Papal Estates and their actions against my family, I think we need no enemies at this moment.

Election 31
1. B--conversions, though I'll be happy for us to add a manu to the list after you hit some provinces for conversions
2. A--yes
B--no, but I won't cry if you need to break a tie and think the refinery is better
C--Mantua
D--Napoli

Sigh, my doge, we may be forced to accept less votes to keep moving forward. Perhaps a call should be made to others to join us?

Though I have said peace, as you consider Hungary difficulties, do you think it actually would be in our best interest to go for her now? Sometimes, even a man of peace, must see the immediate chance for a greater peace later by taking violent action now. Though our reputation demands a peace, we know that perhaps Hungary will struggle so greatly against the infidel that they'll lose land to the Turk, thus putting us back where we started with a growing threat. Or, perhaps Hungary will get so weak as to be a target of a growing power in Poland or the Hapsburgs. So, do we need to strike in the moment and then have the ability to work over Genoa also?

I cast my (incomplete) vote:

Code:
election 30:
1 blank
2 blank
3 blank
4 blank
5 Peace

Code:
election 31:
a yes
b yes

a no
b yes(a refinery)
c mantua
d Ionia

Delfino.gif

Code:
Election 30:
1. DF: Cyprus, Papal States, Albania, Genoa
2. F: Savoy, Austria, France
3. A: Ottoman Empire, Aragon
4. E: None
5. Peace

Election 31:
1. B

Honorable Doge
Dear Senators

I have to announce to this Honorable Government body the defunction of my great Father, Tarquino-Giuliu, at his quiet Villa outside our city; before he died, he appointed me as his successor in this honorable task, so I would like to apologize for delaying such as important votes, but I had to attend first a few personal matters that my late father left.

I would like to say also, that I will maintain the position held by my father as a member of the Golden Party, and the defender of the true Greatness of our Republic.

Also, I want to express my complete sadness for the tragic death of one of our Greatest members of our society, Enrico Dandolo, son of the Honorable Lawkeeper Dandolo; it is really sad to lose one of our brothers such in surprising way that had been taken from us. No one will ever serve our Republic as he and the members of his family before him, did.

Alessandro Delfino

Dear Senators,

Elections 30 and 31 are closed. This wise Council has decided the following:

Our allies and dear friends are Cyprus (6/7), Albania (5/7) and Savoy (4/7).

Our friends should be Maximilian of Austria (5/7) and Charles of France (4/7).

Our adversaries and rivals are the Ottoman Sultan (5/7), Fernando of Aragon (5/7) and the Genoese (5/7)

We are not to have enemies (only 3 votes that were carried over to adversaries), and our policies should seek peaceful relations (5/7).

On our economical issues, religious conversions are aproved and given priority (6/6), while a manufactory is also aproved if sufficient funds (3/6). The manufactory should be a refinery (3/5), located at Napoli (4/5).

I will proceed to implement those policies for a higher glory of our beloved Republic.

Fodoroni.

dogalshield.png
Noble Senators,

By following your decisions, I have been able to keep productive and peaceful relations with our neighbors. No doubt the fact that many of them are at war is contributing. Hungary is fighting together with Genoa and the Knights two wars, one against Bohemia and another against the Turk. The war in the Balkans should be won by Hungary, but they have trouble in dealing with two enemies simultaneously even if by holding the straits we have no doubt saved Matthias Corvinus' butt. But Bayezid is also fighting against Genoa, and Turks have raided Liguria, even if they were finally repelled. The Hospitallers are holding their own in Rhodes against Bayezid's unsuccessful landings. I cannot but wonder if any good could come to Venice from this situations.

But the most important event of not only these years, but my whole Dogeship has been the incorporation of Cyprus to our growing Republic. As it has been said, a kingdom has become a province, an a fine one I must add, since the Cypriots, out of love for their "Regina" at some point had converted in mass (both senses) and expelled the usually troublesome orthodox priests. The devotion of our "Daughter of St. Mark" had been rewarded with generosity, and she is installed at Asolo, at the skirts of the Alps. The sizable Cypriot army was put under command of colonel Miozovny and sent to reinforce our Greek provinces in anticipation of problems.

1489.jpg

Coinage of new ducats has proceed in good order, and we have financed new taxation offices in Apulia, Napoli and Cyprus. In addition to Corfu, we are financing expensive inquisitorial operations to convert Ionia, Morea and Macedonia and we are rebuilding our damaged fleet. The Arsenal has produced 17 new galleys and 5 new warships while we have introduced measures to reform the navy.

1489b.jpg

Our ambassador in Valladolid, Marco Grandenigo, informed us that after several years of good offices at the court of Queen Isabel he has been able to obtain the right for our fleets and armies to resupply and pass through Spanish territories and ports, despite of having only a relationship of +51. This are excellent news, and have we had such rights granted to us, the expedition of Marco Mocenigo and Hastu Neon to Lisbon would have been a lot more productive. We can now also use the Canary Islands as a base for our explorations in the Atlantic Ocean, were the Portuguese are taking an insane advantage.

1490.jpg

In 1490, several international events took place that will most likely have repercussions here in Venice. Our former enemy Sigismund Habsburg, Duke of Tyrol, being old, tired and childless, has granted independence to Switzerland and Baden, and abdicated to his nephew Maximilian of Austria. Tyrol, with its gold-mines is now a province of Austria. Meanwhile, and also playing to the Habsburg advantage, Matthias Corvinus (the Raven) Hunyadi died, and his illegitimate son was not recognized, so the crown of Hungary went to the weak Ladislaus II Jagiello of Bohemia, also known as king Yes (regius bene), who became Uladislaus II of Hungary, and also became a vassal of his father Casimir IV Jagiello of Poland. In this way Hungary has left his alliance with Genoa and the Knights, although they still fight together against Bayezid and, strangely enough, himself in Bohemia. I am sure I have your attention, since this has the all important effect of leaving Genoa unprotected. You will say that the Genoese will react to that by laying low, right? But not, they have again started to provoke us, and have once more banned our merchants from operating at their centers of trade in Liguria and Kerch, depriving us from our rightful income. For much less than this, Manuel Comnenos, emperor of Byzantium got what he deserved from our Doge Enrico Dandolo in 1204.

Again a noble found that he could not work out his insatisfaction through the many channels available in our Republic, and he chose to rebel in his states at Kosovo. Not being at war, Miozovny was quickly dispatched with the Cypriot regiment, and upon quelling the rebellion, he hang the noble from the first tree he found. His states had been confiscated and Miozovny has been rewarded with their administration in the name of the Signoria. This should serve as an example to other nobles that might think that the Republic has softened. But the measures caused some malcontent, and new rebellions sprung in Lombardia and Morea, the former eliminated before the end of the month, but the latter taking over six months and three attempts by Miozovny, who seems to be getting soft in his new life as a countryside landlord.

1491.jpg

In preparation for future military operations we have secured the services of Francesco Gonzaga, the Duke of Mantua, and probably the most experienced condottiero of these days. He holds the rank of field marshall (3, 2, 3). He is at your disposal for any use that you might deem necessary. He has already succeeded as a mediator in our disputes with Pope Alexander VI, and though costly gifts were needed, our subjects are happier now.

1492.jpg

The riches are flowing through our beloved city, impregnating everything, and so we have been able to finance the construction of a big refining complex for Neapolitan wines at the incredibly cheap price of 1,205[,000] ducats. As you all know water is absent in the Rialto islands, and half of the perfumes that we import from Persia have to be used by us so we can tolerate each other in our council meetings. Since drinkable water is as expensive as wine, most of us drink the second almost exclusively, so I am sure everybody will be happy knowing that the wine is going to be better. The wine merchant guild is also happy about it and has contributed with 200[,000] ducats to this endeavour. We preferred that to the 300[,000] ducats investment in trade, since that is equivalent to only seven months of our current investment rates in Trade (45% investment).

1493.jpg

To complement what has been a great prosperity period, our dedication to improving the quality of our armies equipment at our foundries have allowed us to raise their state of readiness to level 4. Also the peasants of Corfu had finally been convinced to abandon their schismatic and heretical practices, and accept the authority of their latin bishop.

1493b.jpg

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1493.
74.jpg

[size=+1]Election 32. War on Genoa[/size]

Dear Senators,

No elections were scheduled for 1494, but as usual when a special opportunity presents itself, I am calling you to vote on it.

Genoa has been in our list of enemies almost forever, and many senators have wanted to conduct attacks before to subdue our bitter trading rival. But when the conditions were good, we lacked casus belli, or when we had casus belli, the conditions were not good, and when we had casus belli and good conditions they were allied to powerful nations.

Now Genoa is allied to the Knights only, they have provided us with a casus belli themselves by banning our merchants, and they are currently at war with the Ottomans (the war with Bohemia does not count because it is not active between Genoa and Bohemia since Tyrol disappeared). All the conditions are present, and I would not be asking if the Senate would have put Genoa in the list of enemies and voted for war. I know my cousin Pascal Barbarigo would have me poisoned if I did not present this opportunity for the Consiglio to decide.

Please vote yes or no to a war against the Genoese.

Our current BB is 13.1/38, and the acquisition of Kerch (the only reasonable goal, since 100% warscore would not suffice for getting also their vassalage) would give us 3 more BBs, keeping us still below maxBB/2=19 when stability cost goes through the roof. Current relationships with Genoa are a very deteriorated -180.

Finally you all know that I do not vote, nor do I try to influence the results in any way. Yet, being a Barbarigo, knowing that my cousin Pascal is out on a trip and knowing also as you all do that the Barbarigos have been proposing a war against Genoa since 1419, to further our commercial interests in the Black Sea, I feel obligated to enter Pascal Barbarigo's vote. So here it is:

Code:
Election 32: YES

If you feel particularly aggravated but my unusual behavior on introducing a delegated vote, you are welcome to call on the three inquisitors to examine it.

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1493.
74.jpg
Note: I would like to play over the weekend. I will check on Sunday to see if we have enough votes (5), but I will not post before Monday.

Cornaro_G.gif

I am weary of war now, but I am MORE weary of Genoa and their tiresome actions. When they should come begging to us for friendship, they slap our face anew.

election 32
Yes

Do it, but do it quickly and do it well! It is fine for your cousin to have spoke through you. I agree that would have been his vote!

1489-1493 Account:

Year 1489
Investment shifted to minting at 75%
-built TC at Apulia
-built TC at Napoli
-Centralization +1 (now 7)
Stability dropped by -1 to +2
Cyprus was inherited by event (including 8k inf. 7k cav. 1 warship and 4 transports)
-built TC at Cyprus
-Conversion atempt in Ionia, 61% for 141D
-Conversion atempt in Morea, 58% for 147D
Reformation of the navy happened to us (naval investment +750D)

Important international events nearby
Albania signed white peace with Papal States, Portugal & Berg.

Our diplomacy
Hungary rejected royal marriage

Year 1490
-Conversion atempt in Macedonia, 54% for 214D
-Built 17 galleys in Veneto for 170D

Hungary became vassal of Poland in the death of Mathias Corvinus
Austria annexed Tyrol, who previously shed Switzerland and Baden
Moldavia surrendered Jedisan to Poland

Our diplomacy
Obtained MA from Spain
Genoa embargoed us.

Year 1491
Treacherous noble happened to us. We hang him (Stab -2, Centr +1, Aristo -2, RR +10 for 1 year, +100D) Kosovo rebelled
Investment shifted to Stability at 75%
Rebellion in Lombardia

Our diplomacy
Entered royal marriage with Savoy

Year 1492
Rebellion in Morea
New land leader, Francesco Gonzaga, field marshal (3, 2, 3)
End of great feud happened to us (Stab +1, -50D)

Wirtemberg was annexed by Austria

Our diplomacy

Year 1493
Investment shifted to Trade at 45% and Infra at 30%
-Started refinery in Napoli for 1205D
Merchants request help happened to us, we chose help for some dough (+200D, Mercant +1)
-We built 5 warships in Veneto for 205D
Land technology advanced to 4
Inquisition was succesful in Corfú, stability cost reduced from 825D to 790D per level.

Austria moved her capital to Ostermarch

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1493 Report (December)[/size]

1493c.jpg

If you prefer the former political map at higher magnification, let me know. Otherwise this will be the new one.

Economy
Stability +2
Stability cost = 789D/level
Treasury = 273D
Inflation 4.8

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1488    19
1493    20

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1488     184.61     151.10    26.8
1493     180.55     175.82    27.5

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1488      32.3     12.9      14.8     0.0     60.4       -4.0
1493      33.7     16.7      16.0     0.0     66.9       -5.7

40 merchants in CoTs (+7). 4.2 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 63% (first nation). Production efficiency is 48%

National
Monarch Agostino Barbarigo
Military Good (7)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33 38 43 48 53 58 63 68 73 78 83 88 93
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  5  -  -  -  -  4  2
Centralization     3  4  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  7  6  -  5  6  7  8
Innovative         4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  4  5  -  -  -  -  -  6  -  -  -  -  -  7
Offensive          2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  4  -  -  -  -  4
Land               2  -  3  2  -  -  1  -  -  2  -  -  -  -  -  -
Quality            6  -  7  6  7  -  6  -  -  7  -  8  -  -  -  -
Serfdom            4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  2  1  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 4 + 4% (1506, 10%)
Naval 4 + 62% (1499, 15%)
Trade 4 + 35% (1522, 40%)
Production 3 + 41% (1520, 35%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)
Building refinery in Napoli

Military

Leaders:
Francesco Gonzaga, field marshal (Land 3, 2, 3)

Army 20k infantry, 31k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% is 4.0 D/month
Army support limit = 79 000 (18 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 15D
Cavalry 32D

Navy 6 warships, 80 galleys, 17 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.6 D/month
Navy support limit = 174
Cost of naval units:
warships 41D
Galleys 10D
Transports 14D

Manpower pool = 39 (19,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Allies: Albania
Bad Boy 13.1/38 tarnished
Permanent CB: Genoa
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Aragon

1493d.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Aragon (Spain RM MA)
Venice (Albania)
Genoa (The Knights)
Savoy RM MA (Denmark, Scotland, Austria RM MA, Meissen)
North:
Bavaria (Palatinate, Switzerland)
Danubian:
Hungary
Balkan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Wallachia
Moldavia
OE (Transoxiana)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen)
Black sea:
Georgia (Theodoros RM MA, Russia)
Poland (Sweden, Livonian, Brittany)
Other:
Portugal (Berg)
Burgundy (France, Baden)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Papal States and Albania are vassals of Venice
Bohemia and Hungary are vassals of Poland
France is a vassal of Burgundy
Aragon is a vassal of Spain.

4) Changes in our area:
Moldavia surrendered Jedisan to Poland
Hungary became a vassal of Poland
Austria inherited Tyrol
Austria annexed Wirtemberg

This is getting ridiculous I know. I swear I am not trying to tilt the election. But first senator Barbarigo is out of Venice when the single most important issue to him is being voted, and now the ghost of Enrico Dandolo has appeared to me and has told me:

Code:
"Yes ! Genoa delenda est !"

Now, as superstitious a Doge as I am, I simply cannot ignore this voice of the otherworld. It is my decision that the vote of the deceased senator will be accepted. But I want to clearly state that in no other election will delegate votes or votes from deceased senators be accepted. Somehow I feel that the spirits of the many venetians killed in the last 300 years by the Genoese have awakened because the time for their revenge has come.

Remember Corcula!

Note: At Corcula (Kurzola) in 1298, the Genoese fleet under command of Lamba Doria completely destroyed the Venetian fleet. Venetian admiral Andrea Dandolo was captured, and out of shame and despair committed suicide by bashing his head against the oarsmen's bank. Marco Polo, native from Corcula, was also captured at the battle and spent several years in a Genoese prison, where a Pisan, also prisoner, transcribed for the whole world to know the relates of his merchant trips to China. For the Venetians Corcula must have felt like "El Alamo".

Last edited:
Cornaro_G.gif

My dear Senators and friends, I merely wanted to point out an observation from our most recent report of the Doge. Did not my father Carlo predict to you that our enemy Tyrol would probably not last long and that we should not worry ourselves about them? Has this not happened now in our lifetimes.

Glance again at the previous map of our relations--we have gone from a setting surrounded by enemies to finding ourselves with positive relations to our north. Was it not wise when we sought to continue to maintain positive relations with the Hapsburgs to our north?

Now consider the land of ancient Gaul. Our clear enemy Burgudy seeks even greater lands. The dukes of Burgudy are attempting to recreate the kindom of Lothar, grandson of Charlemagne, who found himself squeezed by his brother and half-brother, Louis the German and Charles the bald. REmember, Lothar's holdings included all of the northern part of the Italian peninsula. Do not miss the obvious there.

Perhaps it will not be so bad as my merchants continue to tell me that there are some sort of diplomatic relations involving the Burgundians, the Hapsburgs and the French. It is impossible to know how these things will go or if they will happen at all, but consider instead of a "nice to us" Austria in our north replaced with a "we hate you" Burgundy. Or, consider what happens in our north were the Hapsburgs to perhaps gain land at Burgundy's expense.

Closer to home, note further that there is a growing menace in the east, strong enough to force vassal status on our enemy, Hungary. Imagine rather than a perhaps inept darkish green Hungary on our border, there is a gigantic Poland on our doorstep. Poland is growing and while she may content herself with events far to the north of us, be wise.

Lastly, you should note that my words to you of the continued threat of the infidel has also come true. Look and see that they have gained yet another province along the Black Sea. It should be very clear to you that if we are successful in any endeavor with the Genoa situation, that places us into yet another front with the Ottoman. Perhaps you will be happy to merely hold Kerch, alone and isolated, but as we are seeing with Genoa, it is no easy task to hold that province alone and isolated. Which brings me back to merely make the point that our contest with Ottomans is not finished and you should not turn your eyes westward or north so easily. We must finish what we started and liberate all of the Balkans. If the culture or religion are not to our liking, we can merely release these provinces as vassals, but if we intend to hold Kerch, it seems clear to me that we should replace the green color of the Ottoman with the beauty of Venice. In the long term that will solidify our position in the Black Sea, make secure Kerch and reaffirm our power and greatness in acting for the interest of Europe against the infidel.