• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
badoer.gif

Election 29: No.

Fellow Senators, honored Doge.
I know it seems shocking, that one who has propagated so for war all his life to refuse a war like this, with our grimmest enemies too. However I've lost so many friends and familymembers, so many brave men have died for our folly...
Gentlemen, let us rest our arms in our lifes autumn, let peace have a chance.
Soon enough, young hotheads, not so unlike me all those years ago, will long for the glory and the bloodshed on the battlefield. But for now, I shall not initiate hostilities.

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

Corfu, 1479
Capitano Generale Fodoroni,

Your skill in the strategy of war is beyond doubt, and only rivals your humility. However, I will try to be of some help. I have studied the maps and tables of recorded travel times, geography and drawings of fortifications in the citadel of Corfu, where the letter finally reached me on my journey. I'm on my way to visit a church being built in Constantinople, as part of my fathers will. The economic reasons are clear, there is no greater price for Venice and its' merchants than Kerch and I will not divert myself into this subject, of which I and my father before me, have spoken so much.

Since the forces needed for this enterprice will be large and expensive to field, we should perhaps wait to attack until the alliance of Genoa is already embroiled in war. That would probably reduce the costs significantly. This has happened frequently in the past and the Hungarian rulers are a quarrelsome lot with many enemies, so it is likely to occur again.

Another possibility than the one you have suggested is to remain defensive against Hungary, stationing small infantry detachments in the bordering mountain areas, with a reserve kept on board a fleet of fast warships in the Adriatic. When battle has started somewhere, the province is swiftly reinforced from the sea. After the battle the fleet leaves the harbor, and the reinforcing army is embarked again. Ready to repeat its maneuver.
This would depend on the possibility to divide the fleet in two, with one part in the Aegean to intercept genuese and hospitaller fleets. To station a fleet here is essential, I agree we should not try to fight Genoa in the Ligurian sea. By capturing Kerch and Genoa, and if they offer to fight many battles at sea and in our good defensive positions, the genoese alliance might offer us Kerch sooner than we think. It should by this reasoning be the only province we take, to make it impossible for them to offer something else.

But you have far better experience of how the enemy plans, and I rest assured when you lead us in war.

Signed
Senator Pascal Barbarigo

dogalshield.png
Dear Pascal Barbarigo,

Fodoroni has spoken highly of your plans to defend our provinces from superior enemy forces. He is eager to try them out, although he will have to wait for a better occasion. However Fodoroni has manifested his intention of entrusting you with fleet command in future campaigns, and I could not agree more. I am sure that many senators will agree that if a really good opportunity presents to attack Genoa in isolation and with casus belli, we are obliged to do so. The souls of our dead at Laiazzo (Armenia 1294), Curzola (Dalmatia 1298), Porto Longone (Morea 1354), and Pola (Istria 1379), would not let us rest otherwise. Each one of those defeats at the hands of the Genoese is like a thorn in my heart that will not pass until they are subdued. Not a single name is more hated in Venice than that of Doria, that I can write but I would not dare to pronounce.

I trust that your stay at Corfu proves fruitful for your family endeavours, and that you will report on the state of its defenses if you find them lacking. Corfu has been really quiet since that little incident of the then young Insane, I hope the population has recovered somewhat.

Regarding senator Dandolo, I have directed a personal request to the Sultan of the Porte. He knows that Dandolo is not only highly regarded by us, but by all princes of Christendom and while adamant on his rigor, he is understanding that the offense was a petty one and should not stain what has been a long and distinguished diplomatic career. We can rest assured that Dandolo will not lose his head, be impaled, skinned alive, or dismembered, or any other of the many delicacies that the Turk reserves for transgressors. I have corresponded with the King of Hungary [robin74], that on his visit to Bursa for a treaty, was able to communicate with him. Dandolo feels frustrated for the duress of his treatment, but I am sure he finds comfort in our support. Let's hope he will resume the service of our Serenissima when released.

Your Doge,

Mocenigo2.gif
Giovanni Mocenigo, LXXII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1483.
72.jpg

Last edited:
Election 29 has already eight votes all negative. If senator Badoer votes against war, then it is pointless to keep asking :D. Election 29 is officially closed.

Thanks go to all senators. Your prompt response should allow to continue our quest for glory. You are all invited to the Bucintoro for the next Marriage to the Sea ceremony on Ascension day, May 5th this year for those that don't keep their church obligations as much as they should.

Cornaro_G.gif

Doge, if I may be as bold to offer an opinion on your war plans. . .strategy and tactics has long been a study of my family and mine as well in my past. I think you have "hit the nail on the head" with your understanding of our troop strength. I do not see how we can propose to undertake this battle with our limits in this area. At our current rate, we do not even have enough troops to HIT our limit. This is why I and my family have repeatedly said that for our LONG TERM goals, we can/should see nothing wrong with liberating the rest of the balkan/slavic peoples.

However, should you deem it necessary to provoke the situation into a conflict, we would need to remove Hungary as soon as possible. I would urge you to see this more as a war in stages, first against Hungary and then against Genoa. Rather than splitting our forces into 2 or 3 seperate armies, we should concentrate our forces against Hungary. Use your spies to determine which provinces are only lightly guarded in their forts and go for those that are minimal. Better still, use your calvary idea in one force, not two, to race through the plains and yes, grab the occassional weakly defended province. All the while, take the provinces nearest to us. That would require 4 armies--the cavalry one in land of Hungary, a smaller infantry one (10-15k) to take out any other minimal fort provinces for a postivie warscore, and then 2 main armies to attempt to grab Bosnia, Croatia, etc... the provinces near us. Done with your normal skill, this can be accomplished in 1.5-3 years max. Hungary will sue for peace and we can take or leave as we wish (and if we are in the war with Genoa for Kerch, then we should probably content ourself with no more than 1 province of Hungary--assuming we started the war--if it were defensive, perhaps 2).

Genoa will not be in a position to do much against us in the meanwhile except perhaps in Lombardia. If we move with alacrity against Hungary, we will find ourselves fighting Genoa alone (or perhaps with the Knights which you have correctly seen the strategy there). Our navy should have no problem holding out Genoa in many places, thus we should have no fear there.

During the conflict with Hungary, obviously we will take some losses, thus you can begin to recruit again on our coast as things wind down with Hungary. Those forces can form the core of the troops to move on Kerch. Again, with no ally in the war, I believe Genoa would find herself forced to accept our offers of peace soon.

Other considerations---you should send a ship to Corsica to determine what the troop strength is. My only caveat to your decision NOT to fight near Genoa is this--often Genoa has made defense of the island far too important, thus leaving several thousands of troops there. If you are able to blockade the island, you can then bottle up those troops eliminating them without fighting the battle. It is doubtful that Genoa can recruit enough to move boldly against us.

Second, I concur with Senator Barbarigo that we should, if we plan to launch the attack, wait till Hungary is otherwise engaged. Of course, that is hard to predict, thus demanding our constant state of awareness. But stay alert--those wars of Hungary certainly last longer than a year, giving you plenty of time to begin recruiting.

Third, I would wholeheartedly support your decision to recruit OVER our normal threshold for this endeavor. Perhaps I am less inclined to worry over ducats in these matters (I have fully admitted my own weakness in areas of finance and merchants), but during war, history has shown us that it is the nation who is willing to push to all limits that win big. If we aren't prepared to win big, then we should not try at all. Allowing your advesary to rise and dust off, regroup and rebuild, simply because one does not have the internal fortitude to strike the killing blow, is reckless and unwise. We'd be better to send an envoy to our enemy and request becoming their vassal in that case. Thus, spend the money even to the point of taking a loan. Recruit over the limit--our losses will certainly keep us close to the limit and if we find ourselves after the war over, we can simply release those soldiers back to their farms!

I do understand that you may fear that by eliminating Hungary early we risk lowering our warscore with Genoa. I think that is a risk that we will have to take for I do not believe that we can handle a 3 front war. Yes, the idea of an active defense is possible, but is it not likely that their army development is ahead of us, thus raising the possibility of several defeats to us, thus ultimately lowering our warscore. While I am sure our troops would fight manly, troops coming off of ships never fight as well as they could, plus you would risk losing many due to mere attrition, loading and unloading, plus life on the galleys. Strike Hungary quickly, brutally; use our navy to bottle up Genoa and the Knights; remove the largest ally, possibly with our own gain in land; then move with vengeance on the target itself.

Humbly yours,
Senator Eduardo Cornaro

Dear Doge, fellow senators,

There are few conquests that are worth the trouble at this point, but I agree with the observation that Kerch is worth it. So I fully support a war against Genoa. Of course I am not an idiot and I know senator Barbarigo is right when he advises us to attack when Genoa and its allies are already at war.

I do not share all his views on our strategy though. I feel we should evade battles against the Hungarian forces. Let them come to Istria or Dalmatia and let our forces besiege their fortresses. Once we capture one of their provinces while they are still trying to capture ours they will accept peace.
In my view the best areas to try this are the plains in central Hungary, not the border provinces of Croatia and Bosnia.

I would like to point out one detail. I have heard tales of goldmines in Steiermark. If this tales are true, Steiermark is a province that is worth conquering (one of the very few). So if the Hungarian forces are too busy fighting other enemies and our forces can siege without fear of being destroyed we should aim for getting Steiermark. And no more!

A final remark. Should we find Corsica lightly defended we should try to capture it. In this case the gaining of Kerch will be almost sure or we could try let Genoa let us recognize as their overlords...

Dear Senators,

I have carefully listened to all your wise counsels. I have learned a lot, and while it is not up to me to define the goals of our wars, wether slavonic provinces are worth or not the trouble, I have had the occasion to increase my war experience recently. Yes, senators of this noble Consiglio, once more we have found ourselves at war with an unexpected enemy. I will soon follow with a complete report on the situation.

Senator Miozozny, our informants have reported that not gold has been found in Steiermark. Otherwise we would have found the way of gaining its possession. Gold mines are exploited in our neighbour Tirol, but for as long as it is a Capital, its possession becomes problematic.

Capitano Generale Fodoroni

dogalshield.png
Honorable senators of the Consiglio,

I know that peace was decided, but once more war comes looking for us. For a long time I have known that Naples was a tempting target, without armies to defend herself. I told Ferrante many times not to confide in the protection of the Serenissima and arm himself, but to no avail.

Sixtus IV (Francesco della Rovere), the Pope that has built the Sixtine Chapel has several nephews that he wants to place as highly as possible. After failing to take over Florence in the Pazzi conspiracy, he has decided to place Girolamo Riario as King of Naples. This country is an easy prey, since Ferrante has failed to maintain an army.

1484.jpg

Now Ferrante understands his mistake and calls for our help. Without fault from our part, the Pope has become the enemy of Venice, so I have accepted. The Signoria has entrusted Fodoroni to organize the campaign with very specific and secret orders.

Mocenigo2.gif
Giovanni Mocenigo, LXXII Dux Venetiarum. Jan. 1484.
72.jpg

Note: It is amazing the coincidence with the War of Ferrara, in which Sixtus IV and Venice fought Ferrante, only to have the Pope changing sides and have Naples and Papal States fighting Venice in about the same dates. But it is obvious what has happened. As I have said before, Naples is our weak link, sitting there for decades without an army, and a DoW on them was likely, being Papal States or Aragon the ones that could do it. Loading the game every 5 years does provoke more wars. Look for the war report here.

dogalshield.png
Dear Senators,

One of the periodic pestilences of Venice has taken the life of Doge Giovanni Mocenigo. Placed in the middle of the lagoon, and visited by merchant ships from many places, Venice is a very unhealthy place. During wars, refugees come from places were the plague appears due to sieges. Usually the nobles escape to their possessions in the countryside, but the Doge and the members of the Signoria are forced to face the disease.

Belonging to a very distinguished family, some of his members already known to you, like my second cousin Pascal Barbarigo, I have been chosen as your new Doge. My old age is likely to allow only for a short Dogeship. The war appears to be going well, as Fodoroni reports. The Papal armies have been defeated and Rome is under siege. Perhaps I am to see the end of the war.

Barbarigo2.gif
Marco Barbarigo, LXXIII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1485.
73.jpg

dogalshield.png
Dear Senators,

War is over. Once more our Serenissima Repubblica has prevailed. I am pleased to report that the Venetians were happy with the performance of their government in the last trials, and they were ready to show it, contributing to the reconstruction of the nation.

1487.jpg

I also have bad news, Roberto Sanseverino, the conqueror of Apulia and Naples, has passed away. On the administrative front, and since I have decent administrative skills, for the first time since Francesco Foscarini, I have taken the liberty of ordering the conversion of Corfu to the true faith, expending 270 ducats and with a success chance of 60%. We shall know the result in a little over 5 years. I know that in taking this decision, I am departing from the priorities established by the Senate, but since Doges are so short-lived, I have run the risk of being censored, given our now big problem with stability. I hope the senate will support such measure and will not censor me. The matter can be subject to election in the next meeting of the Consiglio, since our low inflation will allow us to obtain funds for either a new manufactory (1200-1400 ducats) or to attempt four conversions, or perhaps both.

Finally, I have proof that we were right in fighting the Pope. God has sent us a Saint to perform miracles. The pestilence has ended and many have been cured by this man of God. The citizens have recovered their confidence in the Signoria, and as a result, our stability has improved and there is less risk of revolts in the new provinces.

1488.jpg

Barbarigo2.gif
Agostino Barbarigo, LXXIV Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1488.
74.jpg

1484-1488 Account:

Year 1484
Papal States DoW Naples, we joined
-Built 1 galley for 10D in Thrace
-Recruited 5,000 inf. & 5,000 cav. for 210D in Veneto
Investment shifted to minting at 75%
New CoT in Tula (Novgorod disappeared)
Cities demand old rights happened to us (Stab. -2)

Important international events nearby
OE & Transoxiana DoW Moldavia, Georgia & Theodoros. Russia joined alliance but no land border

Our diplomacy
-Entered a royal marriage with Theodoros
-Hungary refused our royal marriage proposal
-sent 55D gift to Albania, relations improved by +34 to +134

Year 1485
Apulia was conquered
Naples annexionated by Papal States
Monopoly reached in Tula at 85% activity
Portugal joined Papal States in their war against us
Marco Barbarigo was elected Doge
Treacherous noble happened to us. We chose to behead him (Stab. -2, RR +6 for 1 year, Centralization +1, Aristocracy -1, revolt in Morea)
Stability reached -1. Investment shifted to Stability at 75%
-Recruited 2,000 cav. for 56D in Hellas
-Recruited 1,000 cav. for 28D in Macedonia
-Built 1 galley for 10D in Thrace

Spain & Aragon DoW Portugal

Our diplomacy
-sent 52D gift to Albania, relations improved by +50 to +179

Year 1486
Rome was conquered
Genoa cancelled Trade embargo
Our standing loan was paid back
Naples was conquered
Agostino Barbarigo was elected Doge

Albania DoW Papal States & Portugal

Our diplomacy
Papal States accepted to surrender Apulia and Naples, and become our vassal.
Spain rejected several requests for military access.

Year 1487
Stability rose to 0
Roberto Sanseverino (land leader) died
Our Naval tech advanced to level 4
Good Government policies happened to us (Stab +1, Infra +400, Trade +400)

Morocco, Granada, Tlemcen & Tunisia DoW Portugal
Hungary, the Knights & Genoa DoW Bohemia
Moldavia surrendered Bujak to OE

Our diplomacy
Portugal accepted a white peace with Venice

Year 1488
Stability rose to +2. Investment shifted to 40% Trade, 35% Infra
Started conversion attempt at Corfu for 270D at 60% chance of success
Saint performs miracles happened to us (Stab +1, RR -3 for 1 year)

OE & Transoxiana DoW Hungary, Genoa & The Knights

Our diplomacy

Last edited:
[size=+1]1488 Report (December)[/size]

1488b.jpg

Economy
Stability +3
Stability cost = ?/level
Treasury = 93D
Inflation 2.4

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1443    11
1468    13
1483    17
1488    19

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1483     165.31     122.21    21.5
1488     184.61     151.10    26.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1483      30.5     12.2      14.9     0.0     58.1       -4.5
1488      32.3     12.9      14.8     0.0     60.4       -4.0

33 merchants in CoTs (-2). 5.6 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 60% (first nation).

National
Monarch Agostino Barbarigo
Military Good (7)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33 38 43 48 53 58 63 68 73 78 83 88
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  5  -  -  -  -  4
Centralization     3  4  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  7  6  -  5  6  7
Innovative         4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  4  5  -  -  -  -  -  6  -  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  4  -  -  -  -
Land               2  -  3  2  -  -  1  -  -  2  -  -  -  -  -
Quality            6  -  7  6  7  -  6  -  -  7  -  8  -  -  -
Serfdom            4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  2  1  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 3 + 76% (1493, 10%)
Naval 4 + 5% (1503, 15%)
Trade 4 + 24% (1541, 40%)
Production 3 + 37% (1518, 35%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)

Military

Leaders:

Army 13k infantry, 24k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% 3.0 D/month
Army support limit = 77 000 (19 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 15D
Cavalry 28D

Navy 0 warships, 63 galleys, 13 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.0 D/month
Navy support limit = 167
Cost of naval units:
warships 45D
Galleys 10D
Transports 14D

Manpower = 18
Manpower pool = 36,000 (18,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Cores (Permanent CB): Cyprus (Cyprus)
Allies: Albania
Bad Boy 13.5/39 tarnished
Permanent CB: Cyprus and Albania (at war with Pope)
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States, Aragon

1488c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

Clearly our BB rate is responsible for crippling our diplomacy. Personal gifts are now at 88D.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Aragon (Spain)
Venice (Albania)
Genoa (The Knights, Hungary)
Savoy MA (Denmark, Scotland, Saxony, Austria RM MA, Meissen, Tyrol RM)
North:
Bavaria (Palatinate)
Wirtemberg
Danubian:
Balcan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Wallachia
OE (Transoxiana)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen)
Cyprus RM
Black sea:
Georgia (Theodoros RM, Moldavia, Russia)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Savoy and Wirtemberg are vassals of Tyrol
Papal States, Albania and Cyprus are vassals of Venice
Bohemia is a vassals of Poland

4) Changes in our area:
Moldavia surrendered Bujak to Ottoman Empire
Papal States surrendered Apulia and Naples to Venice

[size=+1]Election 30. 1489-1499 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

[size=+1]Election 31. Extraordinary expenditures[/size]

Given that we are at a low inflation (2.4%) It would be possible to produce cash for extraordinary investments. Manufactories are at a cost of about 1200 for a refinery and 1400 for a FAA. The Administrative skill of Agostino Barbarigo is 7, the best since Francesco Foscarini. Conversion attempts are at about 300D a piece and with a chance of around 55% for our greek subjects. Real conversion cost is therefore around 550D per province.

Please answer yes or no to the following:

1. Treasure expenditure
A. I approve minting for a new manufactory
B. I approve minting for several conversion attempts

2. Manufactory
If a manufactory is approved:
A. I prefer a FAA
B. I prefer a refinery
C. A FAA would be best placed in: (State province, Veneto already has a manufactory)
D. A refinery would be best placed in: (Dalmatia, Firenze, Napoli, Ionia and Cyprus* are all adequate)

*Cyprus is not ours yet, but it will be by the time we get the money. Check the "Il senato..." thread to learn the secret plans of the Signoria to incorporate Cyprus.

Code:
Election 30.
1. Dear Friends. 3 vassals, Savoy
2. Friends. Knights, France
3. Adversaries. Portugal, Hungary
4. Enemies. Aragon, OE, Genoa
5. Peace

Code:
Election 31.
1.A No, 1.B Yes
2.A No, 2.B Yes
C. FAA in Mantua
D. Refinery in Napoli

Senator Barbarigo shows once more that despite his age, nothing escapes him.

On March 1486, Genoa lifted her trade ban on us, removing our casus belli.

On August 1486, Papal States surrendered and signed peace.

On July 1487 Hungary declared war to Bohemia. Genoa and Rhodes joined the war. Obviously neither of them are participating, since they have no access to Hungary or Bohemia. Bohemia is probably having the worst part in this war given the disparity of forces.

On October 1487, Portugal accepted our white peace proposal.

On December 1488 (this month), the Ottoman Empire and Transoxiana have declared war to Hungary, Genoa and the Knights of Rhodes.

The Ottoman Empire has very little forces in Europe, their only chance is to take advantage of Hungary having all the armies in Bohemia, but I doubt they will be able to accomplish much.

Alas, we no longer have a casus belli on Genoa, nor we will be able to get a new trade ban before April 1491. However the issue is as always in the hands of the senate.

Our spies indicate that Kerch is defended by 8,000 men and Liguria by 16,000. However, active recruitment is taking place at both provinces, probably due to the war with the Turk. Kerch is at a moderate risk, since it borders the Ottoman province of Sochi, but this province is isolated from the rest of the Ottoman Empire.

If Hungary was our target, now it would be the time to hit them. I could probably put the entire country on her knees with just 20,000 men, covering all the provinces and making the Turks and Bohemians work for us, but Hungary has been low in our list of priorities. We no longer have a manpower problem, and the remaining Italian and Greek provinces are much more desirable. We do have to nurse our reputation, since we cannot let it worsen unwisely. A vassalization of Hungary is not a worthy goal, a vassalization of Austria would certainly be worth a war.

Regarding Genoa, Kerch has become very expensive to conquer. I am not worried with their troops in Liguria, since with some leeway in minting we could easily defeat whatever they can field, as we did with the Papal armies. But Kerch will have at least 10,000 men by the time we get there. Unless they decide to invade Socchi, we would have a hard time overcoming her defenses. Lack of casus belli and good relationships with Genoa, complicate the war declaration and increase the hidden costs. But if "delenda est Genoa" is decided by the senate, I will carry out the orders with my usual enthusiasm.

Conclusion: Those that want a war with Genoa, Hungary, and the Knights without a casus belli, just need to add Genoa to category 4 (Enemies), and mark the War option, while adding the clause "without casus belli". I will interpret that as a mandate to go to war whenever conveniant in the next 5 year period.

My Dear Friends and Senators,

I regret to inform you that the exertions of the recently concluded war have proved too much for my uncle, Arturo, and he has passed to the next life.

I, Eduardo Gandolfi, will take his place in our noble senate.

My uncle was long a proponent of expanding our Republic by force, however, I and my family now fear our reputation has suffered too much from continual warmaking.

While I would still welcome a chance to drive the infidels from Europe, I think we must restrain ourselves from battling our fellow Christians. Our highest priority should be to convert our Eastern provinces to the true faith.

Election 30

1. DF Papal States, Albania, Cyprus, Knights, Austria, Bavaria
2. F Castille, England, France, Poland
3. A Aragon, Genoa
4. En Ottomans
5. Peace

Election 31
1. A Yes B Yes (I prioritize Conversions but would approve either)
2. B
C. Mantua
D. Napoli

Sincerely,

Eduardo Gandolfi

Cornaro_G.gif

Is not life full of both joy and sadness, happiness mixed with bitterness? I first must report to you that my father, Carlo Cornaro has finally left the earth, finding his place (I am sure) in the heavenly embrace of his fathers and the Holy Mother. While he did not live long enough to see the conclusion of his life's work to end the menace of the infidel, he at least was in peace to know that our family's efforts in Cyprus were bearing fruit.

That leads me to inform all of you what you should have heard or read from my cousin Senator Giorgio Cornaro about Cyprus. Queen Caterina, my cousin, has formally announced her abdication to our Republic. You should see some more formal annoucement of this from the Doge.

And has not our Father in heaven clearly smiled upon all of our efforts? Was it not only at his prompting that the evil liar who sits upon the glorious throne of St. Peter would foolishly declare war upon our vassal? Papal States delenda est! And much glory must be shown to our wonderful Capitano Fodoroni for his brilliance--to allow the shortsighted Pope to annex Naples for us. Never would I have thought of such brilliance
[ot--Fodoron, that move had me laughing out loud as I read it in the thread--simply brilliant my man!]Now we have shown our righteous nature through victory---surely this is equal to when our great God spoke to Emperor Constantine before the Battle of Milvian Bridge---"by this you will conquer." The Pope attempts to wound my family and our Republic in Cyprus and now we have spoken, forcefully. Is not our Republic recapturing the glory of Rome?!

Now, to our current diplomatic situation, I agree with calls for peace in order to guard our reputation. Patience, patience, patience.

I also hear the words of the Doge that our manpower is not an issue. Thus, I conclude that I can't make that arguement, however I still will press as before to the fragile nature of our republic. We are a thin strip in all areas. Perhaps it is just my nature and feelings about protection, but I must demand that we continue to see the lands of the Hungarians and the Ottomans as something we need. The Ottomans are obvious for our Christian duty, as my departed father said often. The Hungarians perhaps not as obvious, but important none the less. I am not saying war now, but I am saying that area should be in our scope, our area of long standing desire. Even with our recent growth, I do not see how we could stand long to the military might of a greater France or what if the empires on the Iberian Penisula were to combine? Did we not just read the tragedy of our failed expedition to Portugal (a worthy gamble for the possibly rumored maps, but still a failure to which we should learn from)?

Still now is not the time to strike, I don't think. I am torn and vexed, I will admit. Think of this--we perhaps do not strike at Hungary and yet, as we watch, being patient, THEY are the ones to conquer Serbia and Bulgaria? What then my friends? What if THEY conquer land from Bohemia as our spies indicate? They would be a behemouth to fear. If our Capitanio can take them, as he says, with only 20,000---would now not be the time to strike? I am torn. Ah, I am a cautious man, perhaps more so than many of you and certainly more so than my father.

Other observations from your report Doge--what is happening in Morea? Are we dealing with rebels there?

What of Burgundy and France? How goes the war there? Burgundy looks very powerful and fearful!

Note that the lone remaining province in Italy is controlled by Aragorn and Savoy. Note too that Savoy is in a VERY POWERFUL alliance, yet perhaps one that could be to our advantage. The Doge has hinted at possibly moving on Austria. Were we attempt that, we certainly would be in a position to sieze Savoy's land and perhaps ALSO moving on Austria. Those Hapsburgs scare me, they are ambitious and my merchants have heard of rumors that the Burgundians are in conversations with the Hapsburgs. Of course we've also heard that the French are trying to speak with the Hapsburgs and possibly squeeze out the Burgundians. Think of an Austria with that size. Were we to make them our vassals, now would be that time. Could we possibly handle an alliance of that size Capitano?

I will not cast my vote now. I am torn. Oh how I long for the wisdom of Senator Dandolo! Part of my heart thinks we must have 5-15 years of peace, part of my heart thinks we might need to strike now, but where--Hungary, the infidel, Savoy et al? Please my fellow Senators, speak clearly as you cast your votes and help us all see the correct path!

In parting,let me add one more bit of joy,--my wife and I have given birth to yet another son—Logan. It is doubtful that he will gain the Senate in the future—my first born Marco Christofol—named after my wonderful uncle. Rejoice with me, weep with me, seek the greatness of Venice with me!

badoer.gif

Honoured Doge, most wise Senators.
Greetings, My name is Pietro Angelino Badoer, Nephew of the late Piergiorgo Badoer, My uncle.
Having lost both his daughters, one to the plague and another to childbirth, and watching his wife go under from grief, My Uncle was still a strong man, always ready to defend our beloved republic.
The manservant told me, that he after having served his lord walked out of the room to fetch a glas of cooled wine, only to discover upon his return that the senator was no more. He was sitting back in his chair with a feint smile, as if he had suddenly seen something amusing and gave the impression of finally having reached an inner peace. My hopes are that he is with is family in heaven. Amen.

However, Having no heirs of his own he wished me to take up his cause and so I shall. It is imperative that we have a stable as possible realm, and the most destabilizing influenses are the various religions that clash.I approve of financing more missionaries to the heathens and heretics in the east.

Election 30
1. Dear friends: Naples, Cyprus, Albania, Savoy, Hungary, The Knights
2. Friends: Tirol, Austria, Palatinate
3. Advesaries: Aragon, Portugal, Savoy
4. Enemies: OE, Papal States, Genoa
5. W A R

Election 31
B: I approve minting for several conversion attempts
A: I prefer a FAA
C: In mantua
D: In Napoli

Dandolo.gif
Fellow Senators,
Respected Doge,
Honorable Capitano Generale Fodoroni,

Let me thank you all for your friendship, and your confidence. My ideals, my faith in the noble idea of Democracy and Freedom have proven to be my downfall, and while I was down in the turkish, filthy jails, your letters of support were relief indeed.

Our proud city is the most enlightenned in the world. Ours are the ideas of the Res Publica of the Roman Republic of old. Remember yourself how we freed ourselves of the tyranny of the Byzantines, more than five centuries ago. Our institutions are the future of the world, and I predict they will be widespread hence five other centuries lapse.

My period in the jails made me understand tyranny is still present everywhere. We cannot cut ourselves from the world, entrenched in our Maritime Republic. We have a duty, and I think all of you feel what it is.

I again thank you all,

Senator Dandolo.