• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Election 27
C+ C+ C+

Election 28
1. Dear friends: Naples, Cyprus, Albania, Savoy, Hungary
2. Friends: Tirol, Austria, Palatinate, The Knights
3. Advesaries: Aragon
4. Enemies: OE, Papal States, Genoa
5. W A R

Read My Signature!

Mocenigo.gif

Noble Senators,

As you know, unlike my father, I do not much devote my energies to politics and my voice has often been silent in this Senate. Our family does have someone far more influential than me serving the Republic in this hour. I spend my time in the practice of commerce, that has so empowered our city. And it is as someone familiar with trade that I speak to you today.

I know and understand little of the lofty political matters that you mention with the crowns of Hungary, Naples and so forth. But what I do know is that our merchants abroad are regarded with increased suspicion and find it ever harder to find business partners. And I do know that, in our own lands, in Greece, many merchants of the eastern orthodox faith also avoid doing business with ours. And farmers hide their crops, oil and wine when our tax collectors approach, with the full blessing of their clergy.

This cannot be sustained. I pray ye, look upon the sorrow state of our country, for once, and forsake these reckless ambitions in foreign lands. Peace breeds peace, and if we show our peaceful intentions to our neighbors, they too will be peaceful towards us. If any of you have servants in your houses that bitterly quarrel every day, will you not first stop and sternly put an end to their brawls, before you think of taking a new servant in?

Election 27
C+ O- C+

Election 28
Dear Friends: Naples, Cyprus, Albania, Savoy, Hungary
Friends: Tirol, Austria, The Knights, France, Papal States
Adversaries: Genoa, Aragon
Enemies: Ottomans
War clause: PEACE!

Thank you for listening.

Marco Mocenigo

Last edited:
It brings me great joy to see us assambled here for this vote. Many of the members of this august body have lately given priority to their private business and some fabled new maps. My family, since many generations holding good shares in the trade in the Black Sea and the eastern end of our sea, have little interest in those new maps. I assume they are owned by the Portuguese and shows the wild countries to the south..
Senator Pascal Barbarigo

Fodoron, this is the only AAR i have followed since "World conquest for Dummies", and I do so with great joy.

Last edited:
I would not want to compare our modest attempt to such a classic, Norrefeldt, but it sure feels good to have you and all the others coming back for more.

I am really grateful to all the senators that contribute to this joint enterprise. I am having lots of fun and it makes me happy to see others sharing it. It makes very worth it all the time dedicated to it. I like seeing senators that feel really comfortable in this Signoria, taking personal leaves and coming back as their business allow. It is always good to see old friends drop by to cast a vote from time to time, and add a little bit of personal talent sometimes, in the wonderful inpersonations that many of you are doing.

I can only say thank you, and forgive me if I am not up to the task. I do try, and I wish we can make it together to 1820.

We already have the minimum votes. But I will look during the weekend before playing to see if any other senator wants to speak his opinion.

Huge kudos on this effort, Fodoron. Yours is the only AAR I have followed religiously. Keep up the great work!

Arthur

The ambassador has been on holiday, and only recently returned, therefore he votes now.

Code:
Election 27
I+, C+, L-
We are struggling technologically, therefore we should attemt to catch up.
Code:
Election 28
1 Naples.
2 Albania.
3 Genoa, Savoy.
4 Papal States, Aragon.
5 Peace
Italy is fragmented, we are the ones to unite all Italians (Just not right now.)

Code:
Election 27
I+ C+ L-

Code:
DF: Naples, Cyprus, Albania
F: Austria, Savoy
E: Aragon, Papal States
HE: Genoa, OE
Peace.

I feel we should wait with annexing Naples. Let our relations with the other countries get better first.

Dear senators,

Thank you once more for taking the time, at your own expense, to defend the interests of this most Serene Republic.

The results from the last elections are as follow:

Election 27: Domestic Policies

1479: Increase in Centralization (6/7 votes)
1489: Increase in Centralization (4/7 votes, higher priority)
1499: Decrease in Land (4/7 votes)

Election 28: International relationships

Cut out at 3
1) Dear Friends: Naples (8/8), Albania (7/8) and Cyprus (6/8)
2) Friends (with carry over): Austria (7/8), Savoy (7/8), France (5/8), Bavaria (3/8), Portugal (3/8), Hungary (3/8), The Knights (3/8)
3) Adversaries (with carry over): Aragon (6/8), Papal States (6/8),
4) Enemies: Ottoman Empire (5/8), Genoa (4/8)

5) Peace (6/8)

dogalshield.png
Dear senators,

The last period of my Dogeship (1479-1483), has been the quiest one so far, both in the national and international scenes. Only some random events, both good and bad have interrupted our quiet progress towards modernity.

Read the full account here.

However some important events in the end of the period open a window of oportunity where we have to decide what to do.

The death of Mehmet II in 1481, and his substitution by Bayezid II have resulted once more in the agression of the Ottoman Empire towards their neighbours. Ramazan has been annexionated, giving us a temporary casus belli against the Ottomans until April 1485.

Those senators in favor of a surprise attack on the Ottoman Empire say Aye. Those against say Nei. (yes, this is [size=+1]Election 29. 1484 Ottoman Empire Casus Belli[/size])

In favor of the war, we have a casus belli and we can win it. Against the war, we already have 12 BB points and the provinces we can get (probably Bulgaria and Rumelia at best) are not that great.

Please read the reports in the following posts if you want to know the current situation.

Mocenigo2.gif
Giovanni Mocenigo, LXXII Dux Venetiarum. Dec. 1483.
72.jpg

1479-1483 Account:

Year 1479
-Recruited 2000 cav. for 56D in Thrace
-sent 37D gift to Naples, relations improved by +14 to +98
-Centralization +1 (now 6)
Stability dropped by -1 to +2
-sent 36D gift to Naples, relations improved by +1 to +100

Important international events nearby

Our diplomacy

Year 1480
-sent 36D gift to Naples, relations improved by +25 to +129
Unhappiness among the merchants happened to us (Trade investment -300)

Our diplomacy

Year 1481
Nobles demand increased pensions happened to us. We paid 200D
We took a loan (interest 14D/year)

Bayezid II rose to the throne in the OE

Our diplomacy

Year 1482
Exceptional year happened to us (+100D Inflation -5%)
Bult 4 galleys for 40D in the Aegean provinces

Our diplomacy

Year 1483
Stability rose to +3
Good Government policies happened to us
Built 1 galley for 10D in Thrace

OE annexed Ramazan

Our diplomacy
Hungary rejected to renew our royal marriage

[size=+1]1483 Report (December)[/size]

1483b.jpg

Economy
Stability +3
Stability cost = ?/level
Treasury = 379D
Inflation 1.2
Standing 200D loan expiring March 1486

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1423     7
1428     9
1433     9
1438     9
1443    11
1448    13
1453    13
1458    13
1463    13
1468    13
1473    15
1478    17
1483    17

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1423      46.80      37.43     6.2
1428      68.13      44.40     8.8
1433      78.78      44.14     8.8
1438      79.68      44.37     9.8
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1448      95.84      72.49    14.8
1453      97.74      78.34    13.8
1458      88.09      81.13    14.8
1463      82.48      90.87    16.0
1468     111.33      90.87    17.0
1473     113.76     102.01    17.0
1478     163.96     116.53    20.5
1483     165.31     122.21    21.5

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1423      12.8      3.1       9.7     0.0     25.7       -2.2
1428      16.1      3.7       8.3     0.0     28.1       -2.2
1433      16.8      3.7       7.2     0.0     27.7       -2.5
1438      16.7      3.7       7.6     0.0     28.0       -2.6
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1448      20.8      6.0       6.2     0.0     33.1       -3.1
1453      21.3      6.5       9.4     0.0     37.3       -3.8
1458      20.8      7.8      12.1     0.0     40.7       -3.9
1463      20.4      8.6       7.2     0.0     36.2       -4.7
1468      22.8     11.8       4.4     0.0     39.1       -4.1
1473      18.4      9.3       3.7     0.0     32.0       -3.9
1478      30.4     11.7      12.6     0.0     55.1       -4.0
1483      30.5     12.2      14.9     0.0     58.1       -4.5

35 merchants in CoTs (+4). 4.6 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-25 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 60% (first nation).

National
Monarch Giovanni Mocenigo
Military Average (5)
Administrative Average (5)
Diplomacy Average (6)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33 38 43 48 53 58 63 68 73 78 83
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  5  -  -  -  -
Centralization     3  4  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  7  6  -  5  6
Innovative         4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  5  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  4  5  -  -  -  -  -  6  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  4  -  -  -
Land               2  -  3  2  -  -  1  -  -  2  -  -  -  -
Quality            6  -  7  6  7  -  6  -  -  7  -  8  -  -
Serfdom            4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3  2  1  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 3 + 51% (1493, 10%)
Naval 3 + 84% (1487, 15%)
Trade 4 + 16% (1550, 40%)
Production 3 + 32% (1517, 35%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)
Weapons manufactory in Veneto (by event, 1473)
Refinery in Morea (finished in 1478)

Military

Maximum morale displayed at 50% maintenance (Not real morale): 1.75 + 0.5 + 0.21 = 2.46

Leaders:
Roberto Sanseverino (land) 3,3,3

Army 12k infantry, 25k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% 3.1 D/month
Army support limit = 69 000 (17 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 15D
Cavalry 27D

Navy 7 warships, 61 galleys, 15 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1.4 D/month
Navy support limit = 147
Cost of naval units:
warships 46D
Galleys 10D

Manpower = 15
Manpower pool = 30,000 (15,000/year)

International

1) Standing
Cores (Permanent CB): Cyprus (Cyprus)
Allies: Naples
Bad Boy 12.1/37 tarnished
Permanent CB: Cyprus, Genoa
Temporary CB: Ottoman Empire (April 1485)

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States.

1483c.jpg

Dark Green represents countries with > +150 relationship to us. Light Green represents countries with +75 to +150 relationship to us. White countries have -75 to +75 relationship to us. Bright red countries have between -75 and -150 relationship to us, and dark red countries have < -150 relationship to us.

For unknown reasons, in 1481, personal gifts jumped from about 35D to about 50D.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States
Aragon (Spain)
Venice (Naples MA)
Genoa (The Knights, Hungary RM)
Savoy MA (Denmark, Scotland, Saxony, Austria RM MA)
North:
Tyrol RM (Bavaria, Berg, Palatinate, Wirtemberg, Brittany)
Danubian:
Balcan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Albania
Wallachia
OE (Transoxiana)
Mediterranean:
Egypt (Kara Koyunlu, Oman, Yemen)
Cyprus RM
Black sea:
Georgia (Theodoros, Moldavia)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia is a vassal of OE
Savoy and Wirtemberg are vassals of Tyrol
Naples, Albania and Cyprus are vassals of Venice
Bohemia is a vassals of Poland

4) Changes in our area:
Ramazan was annexionated by Ottoman Empire
Sirvan was annexionated by Kara Koyunlu

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

For the good of our republic, to advance trade and income as much as it is possible without being burdened by a lot of troublesome people, I will henceforth only recommend the honorable doge to start war against Genoa, for the capture of Kerch. We have a valid casus belli. Gather infantry on the Hungarian border, send out the navy and strike.

Code:
Election 29.
No.

Last edited:
Dear Senators,

I have sad news indeed. Senator Dandolo was undertaking a dangerous covert operation in Bursa, at the Sublime Porte. Posing as our ambassador, his real mission was to discover any hostile intentions towards us by the new sultan, Bayezid II. But he has been discovered and captured, and I fear for his life.

I have initiated gestions with the authorities of the Porte to obtain his release at any cost. Senator Dandolo has always been an example to us, and I am defending that this can only be a lamentable misunderstanding, because we all know that senator Dandolo is incapable of any crime, and has always been a law abiding citizen.

I'd like you all to join me in the services that will be held to pray for his safe return.

Fodoroni

Last edited:
Cornaro_G.gif

Alas, this is treacherous news that Senator Dandolo has had this experience! We need him back. This would be news enough for my father to demand instant war with the infidel.

I, on the other hand, are more patient than he. I will remind the Senate of my families long standing reasons for the need of our land to grow. Look again at the map. It is clear that our enemies need only strike one swift blow to tear our nation into 2 or 3 parts. It is in our long term interest to continue to build up a base of support of manpower, if nothing else, for our future endeavors. Imagine if we held Bosnia, Croatia, Krain, Bulgaria and Rumelia. That buffer provides us protection and manpower. Yes they are poor. No they will not be our financial bread and butter (that will lay in holding the rest of Italy and perhaps colonies in distant lands), but the manpower from that area are key for us! So, that is the reminder of my father, Carlo.

However, as I said, I am patient. Due to events beyond our control, we have certianly found ourselves almost friendless in Europe. You can read about that in our histories where, through no fault of our own, Europe hates us due to NOT doing more against the infidel (while they of course did absolutely nothing, including the Holy Father [I can barely spit out the words due to his treachery against my cousin]). However, we must NOT allow our fierce anger control our destinies. Now is NOT the time to deal with the infidel. I tell you, in the future, we MUST press him out of Europe in total. Even if we turn around and release Dubrudja or Romelia in vassel, we must complete our crusade. But not now.

Election 29

No--peace now--review my last vote, I did not EVEN place the Ottoman in our enemies list--we need no enemies at this moment

Hungary is obviously preparing for us since she rejected our kind offer of a royal marriage. Yet look at our army, barely at half strength. Doge, you MUST build our army to its limits in order to project our proper strength! The Hungarian is coming, I can simply feel it. That is the war to prepare for. Why do you men lust still for Genoa? Again, you are trying to go too far too soon. Let it go, build the house properly, on a solid foundation.

Let us prepare defensively for this combat with the Hungarian; lets gain those lands immediately to our north to provide the buffer I mentioned; lets spend some money well on building our relationships with our critical neighbors; lets get our reputation back in line so that when the Ottoman looms again or Tyrol comes back, we can send them packing, taking their land and the new acquisitions won't hurt us as much.

But not now--now is time for peace, preparing, repairing, trading.

My Father, Carlo, lies at death's door--I will alert you all when he has passed on.

Eduardo Cornaro, dressed in black for now

Delfino.gif

Code:
Election 29:
NEI

Dear Fellow Senators:

As a Senior Representant of the Golden Party, I will vote against a war that won't give us any true benefit, instead it will destroy what we have done in these past years. We have to notice that no other christian powerful country but our Great Republic, have stood againts the infidels. The Christian World, including the weaks Popes, have done nothing to prevent the advance of the Muslim warriors into Europe.

Also, I truly believe that they no longer represent a serious threat to us. Our duty today is to reinforce our valuable positions, imposing our government and culture standards on those new lands, becoming the most powerful naval country; the latter should be our main task, as I had said before, we have to rely on our fleet, this is the symbol of our Greatness.

Maybe the plan of Uniting the entire Peninsula under the government of this Senate and our Honorable Doge, is the one we must follow. But notice one thing, we have to use one of our best weapons, the Diplomacy to do that; we can win more and build a true empire, reying on this.

Perhaps the voice of this old man is no longer hear by the newest members of our Consiglio, but I have been here for more than 60 years already, and I have seen a lot of things; so, lets moderate ourselfs, and let our Economical Empire to grown.

I share the same feelings that our Capitano has for the sad situation of one of the members of this Consiglio and a representant of one the greatest families of Venice; Senator Dandolo must be released of his wrong imprisonment, we now that he will never done a crime like that. The entire Delfino family will join on whichever task we must do in order to help the release of this fine man; and with this, I'm telling that we will sign whatever document asking for the forgiveness of his alleged crime.

TG Delfino

Election 29

No.

Unfortunately, we are in no condition for more war. I have noticed that our inflation has fallen markedly.

Now is the time to mint to build manufactories, reinforce our armies, and convert our Greek subjects to the true faith.

Arturo Gandolfi

Moro_t.jpg

Dear Senators, I totally agree with your prudence in declaring war upon the Ottomans. Even if liberating the Orthodox brothers from the Infidels' rule is still a must, their harsh defeat in our first conflict has reduced by far their threatening power.

New menaces are now facing us: Turks and Mamluks provinces now are joint and constitue a wall for our traffics in the East. Our traders are losing room in the emporiums and other ones are emerging. The King of Portugal is pursuing a policy of development on the West and his navies have reached to Southern Horn of Africa. If they manage to reach the Indies through the Ocean, we will be severely punished. I reccomend, once diploannexed Naples, to join an alliance with Spain (even if, I know, the relations with their Aragonese vassals have never been too friendly. They'v been battered by King Afonso V of Portugal, but now they will try to regain ground. And we could find useful an alliance in order to get much information about their explorations.

Code:
Election 29: NO

OT: Fodoron, in order to improve readibility of your report, you might consider going on in the centuries to widen the time interval of some stats, like number of provinces and so on (i.e. every 25 years rather than 5 years)

armes.gif
Venice, 1479
Dear senator Barbarigo,

Your interest in Kerch has always been shared by me, being the only Center of Trade with the right culture that we can easily obtain, and inevitable if we want to obtain the other. It has been militarily possible in the past to attempt campaigns to liberate Kerch from the Genoan oppressor, but all the right political conditions have never been met to the satisfaction of the Signoria.

From a theoretical point of view, and to further my military education I would like to discuss the present situation. This discussion does not have to lead to an election or a military campaign, given that the Golden Party clearly dominates the Consiglio and wants to develop our economy in a peaceful manner. But in the future, Kerch could be a goal that both the Golden Party and the Blue Party might agree.

From all the possible allies of Genoa, Hungary is the worst in my opinion. The war against Genoa already has two land fronts, in the Black Sea and in Italy. Hungary opens a third one in a major way. Let's review them:

Black Sea: Kerch is at present defended by 5k Genoese. It would require a minimum of 15k in two waves, or even better 20k in three waves to disloge them. With such forces and military access in Theodoros as we have, it is not a problem. It may take two or three attempts but it will happen. Port blockade is also easy to carry on with our military access in Kaffa.

Italy: A minimum of 15k soldiers are necessary, since Genoa has a small fortress and some forces defending it. Closeness to our main provinces and the necessity from Genoa to attack us with her armies can play in our favor.

Hungary: It is necessary to get a positive warscore as soon as possible, to either force Genoa to surrender Kerch or to reach an independent peace if things take a turn for the worse against them. Hungary is a Land force that easily produces over 100k forces, with armies a lot stronger than ours. They are likely to go for the neck and invade Dalmatia, Istria and/or Veneto. I would like to have 40k men against them, placed in Dalmatia at the start of hostilities. Two armies of cavalry only, to go deep into enemy territory through Banat and squash fresh recruits, loot and ravage the countryside and occasionally to siege a plain province that can be taken easily. The infantry army could be split, one to siege Croatia to provide a line of supply and the other to move to Ruthenia or Carpatia in the Polish border, where they can siege undisturbed. This could be done with 30k, but that would already be pushing it a little. Winter is a factor to be considered.

Sea front: Genoa has a sizable navy. I would concede them the control of the Ligurian sea to avoid unacceptable loses in our navy, and I would just place some cavalry in Firenze to prevent a landing there. Any attempt to defend Kerch will see their navy fighting at the Aegean and the Marmara at a disadvantage, where we can obliterate them. The Knights are likely to attack in Candia (Crete), Morea and/or Ionia. Our fleet should prevent them from doing so in an effective manner. It is probable that we can get a positive warscore against them, but in any case I don't think they will play a big role in a campaign of this magnitude.

Our fleet is adequate for the task as long as we don't try to dominate the Ligurian sea. Our army is woefully inadequate. Ideally we would need to start with 20K in the Black Sea, 40k in Hungary, and 20k in Italy, for a total of 80k (86k including the defense forces in Candia and Corfu). But our support limit is 52k plus 17k from trade. That makes 15k in the Black Sea, 30k in Hungary, and 15k in Italy, so we would be fighting at the bare minimum and depending more on luck. We would go over the support limit if reinforcements are needed or our trade suffers. We currently have 37k, so in any case it requires a big investment in armies.

Senator Barbarigo, I acknowledge that you and other of our noble senators are more experienced army commanders than me, so as an exercise, I would like any senator with an opinion on the above strategy, to criticize or agree, or suggest alternatives that would improve the chances of success of the above theoretical campaign. I think many of us can learn from such exercise.

Signed, Fodoroni, Capitano Generale of the Venetian armed forces.

Noble Senators,

My opinion in the matter of war and peace has already been voiced, hence I shall limit my self to voting. Let the infidels fight amongst themselves, and let our merchants sell supplies to all sides.

Election 29
NO

As for the military plans we heard, and about which I humbly profess my lack of competence, it seems to me that no provision is made about reserve forces in case the tide of battle should severely turn against us on one front or the other. Also, have we sufficient galleys to protect our beloved city, should the enemy rush through? I shall ask for your forgiveness, in case these questions are not pertinent.

I also want to express my support to senator Dandolo, and propose that if we do not hear news of his release within 7 days, all preparations be made for a blockade of the Sultan's capital.

Marco Mocenigo