• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
On 14 May 1468 afternoon, Doge Cristoforo Moro wasn't waiting for further correspondence while seated in his office near St. Mark's. After years and years of battles against the Turks, the sunset - with its awful count of the casualties - was the saddest moment of his day. The old heirless Doge felt to take his personal mourning for each Venetian youngman passed away on the shores of the Balkans, as if all those soldiers were his own sons. But one of them, in particular, was in his mind: another Cristoforo Moro, the only son of his young brother known as "Il Rosso" because of his Inquisitorial dress. Couragious and cunning, that boy - the only one capable of prolonging the dynasty - was heroically defending the honour of both Venice and the family. Thus, Cristoforo's heart rejoyed when his servant entered the room with a missive from the army's headquarters in Thessalonica.

Dear uncle Cristoforo,

I wish you were here to see the great advances we have achieved in these months. The Turks, inspired by their diabolic sultans and prophets, are showing a stiff resistance, but cannot resist us. Lots of youngmen had died, but now the Infidels are out of Europe, again on the mountains of Anatolia where they came from. It's like we are many Achilles and they Ettores...

But be aware, our forces are not infinite. Many soldiers, like the Greeks sieging Troy, don't understand where those on the lagoon want to arrive. People we've liberated in some regions have proven to be quite hostile, some of them have already converted to Sunni religion. But here it's another world. Greeks are very friendly. I would like them to join our Republica one day... Yesterday I was talking with Carlec about our next steps. We agreed over a waiting strategy. Our forces are too inferior in number to arrange a big landing in Anatolia, but few specific raids on their coasts should work very well. If such strategy is adopted, I could cross the Egean Sea and land in Smyrna. It's a valuable province, Greek resistance can help us. Another expedition could land in Trabzon, where the same conditions apply. Many Greek people see us as the legitimate successors of Byzanthium, and we should leverage on this in our fight against the Turks...

I'm very well. Here in Thessalonica I knew a wonderful girl, Yolanda. She is one of the descendants of the Palaeologi, one of the most glorious Byzantine families. She has corvin hair and blue eyes... I know, you're thinking about the fact I'm the only Moro who can bring on the line of the family, so ... we're going to marry when the war is over...

I salute you, dear uncle Cristoforo.

Code:
Election 19 (Peace with Ottos)
1.B 2.C 3.B 4. Macedonia, Kosovo (if it's Albanian-cultured and
we get Albanian through Skandenberg event), Smyrna (if captured)

Election 20 (Albania)
1.B 2.B 3.A

Dear Doge Cristoforo Moro,

Regarding the advice of your nephew, young Moro, I have to say that he had shown courage under fire in the sieges of Thessalonike and Varna (Rumelia), and a great sense of responsability, and I pronosticate a brilliant career for him, for as long as he wishes to remain in the army.

But, has he lost his will to live? Is he not aware of the situation in Anatolia?

Please check the information available in Post 454. No less of 76,000 Turks await us in Smyrna, and a landing there would cause the immediate anhilation of our 33,000 men. I am afraid that Smyrna is totally out of the question, unless we are ready to kill 80,000 Turks, including a great number of jenissaries and sipahis. For that we would need 160,000 young and brave Venetians, willing to die for their beloved Republic, a sacrify I am hessitant to endorse.

Your servant,

Capitano Generale Fodoroni

Dear Capitano Generale,

Youngmen are so brave that sometimes their bravery results in imprudence, you know. A secondary target, less garrisoned by the Infidels, should be indicated for him and his soldiers. He's valiant and fiercely wants - ah! beloved youth! - to emerge in this war.

Yours faithfully,
Doge Cristoforo Moro

Regarding the OE:

Election 19
1A. With reluctance, at least an attempt to invade OE rearguard should be done, however we should try to end this war before it ruins us.

2C.

3A. however, see if we throught invading their rearguard can manage another province.

4. Kosovo, Bulgaria, Kochi :D

And for albania:

Election 20
1B.
2C. If I may join Carlo Cornaro here, otherwise 2B
3B.

As you all well know, Fortunato passed about one year and and he was succeeded by his eldest son, Giuseppe. The name of the Falisci has been been on the lips of the gossips of Venice ever since that day. The focus of the rumors is that the young Elena and he were involved in a less than motherly-to-son way. Rumors such as this are very destructive and often destroy the man and woman targetted by them you also know.

Not so with Giuseppe. How a man deals with slanderers can also make a reputation and via the duel did he make his. No less than a dozen men have been sent to Saint Peter before their time. A bloody trail, indeed, but one allowed for by the laws [OOC: and if not, oops, my bad]. Apparently God himself favors this man and thus proves his innocence. God did indeed leave Giuseppe a message in the last duel and he lies recovering from near-mortal wounds received.

Knowing this, it comes as no surprise that either his brother or his step-mother would come as his errand person. With his brother away with the merchant fleet, it falls to the woman that likely left you wondering about her.

Now, the Senate is hardly the place for a woman, but today, you'd likely not mind. Gone is the heavy veil and the heavy clothes of mourning she appeared in so many years ago. Looking upon her, you see why the rumors were likely started. Quite simply, she is lovely to gaze upon and could make a career being put to canvas. She's likely younger than even Guiseppe's younger brother, Niccolo. I say no more about it as you can imagine better than I could possibly describe.

Breaking yourself from the initial spell, questions likely pop into your mind about these Falisci. Something surely is afoot.

"Please, forgive my intrusion, countrymen," she says softly and casts her gaze toward the floor. "I am sure you all know of the events of the past few months so you know that I come only to deliver what my step-son cannot."

She trembles a bit and you aren't sure if she is going to collapse. Several of the tears she is fighting to hold back drip to the marbled floor. She pauses a bit to compose herself and the silence in the room is very noticable and uncomfortable.

She wins the battle within herself and continues. "I am sorry for this. If you could remember a prayer for our family, we...no...I would appreciate it." This sounds a bit more like a plea than anything else.

"Anyways, our family's votes on the matters at hand. It is my hand, I am afraid, but the words are Giuseppe's. The Archbishop himself was witness to it should you need more than my word. I would suspect that you would..." and she seems rather crushed after having said it.

"May we speak sometime in happier times and in different venues. I'd like that very much." With that said she lifts her eyes from the floor, performs a deep but wobbley curtsy and slowly walks out of the room with her guards and maids.

Election 19 The Turkish war-peace plans
1.B - Peace.
2.B - Use the strait's defense bonus to aid defense on plains with a full cavalry force with leader.
3.B - Make an offer of our choosing.
4 - Personally, I see no reason to take more than Macedonia, Kosovo and as much money as possible, as this will give us the land connection we desire. If you must take three provinces, add Bulgaria. I am guessing that the isolated Ottoman European provinces will rebel away from them anyways if we don't take them and I'd like to limit the non-culture, schismatic provinces we take.

Election 20 The Albanian Question
1.A - Not concerned with them at this time.

With all these deaths, it seems a new generation of leaders is emerging...

Barbarigo.gif

I, Aureo Barbarigo has turned my mind against the Allmighty to be ready for my depature. Thanked be St. Mark and blessed be Capitano Fodoroni for giving us this great victory. This will be my last vote for Venice, what time I have left will be spent to purify my soul.

Code:
Election: End of war.
1A End this war now, don't tempt the Allmighty with greed.
2  I don't even want to think of strategies to further persue this war.
3A No
3B Yes
4  Kosovo (to provide a land link) Bulgaria (richer than Serbia, defensive mountains)

Code:
Election: The Albanian Question
1B We should protect them. By taking Macedonia and Kosovo they will be safe.
2A Yes. We shouldn't spend too big money on them. They value their freedom
        too much and it will not be worth it to try to get strong bonds with them.
        That will only end in disappointment.
2B No

We should start to plan the comissioning of a great church and a convent to commemorate this victory [a FAA]. It would show the Greeks the splendor and devoutness of the Catholic Church, and speed up conversions among them. I suggest catholic Kosovo, the gate to the Greek world for such a project.

Norrefeldt said:
We should start to plan the comissioning of a great church and a convent to commemorate this victory [a FAA]. It would show the Greeks the splendor and devoutness of the Catholic Church, and speed up conversions among them. I suggest catholic Kosovo, the gate to the Greek world for such a project.

1469 is a year in which we have to decide on 3 elections (International policies, treasury expenditure priorities and investments policies), this includes manufactories. But I wanted to give people a break, so they can decide on the urgent matters: The war with OE and the Albanian question, that yes, has to be decided now, because otherwise the issue could very well be moot in 20 years. The personal trust put by Skanderbeg on Venice, may very well not be renewed by his sucessors. Whether it is a valuable legacy or not, is debatable.

Fello Senators, Honorable Doge, Victorious Captain General,

It seems as if there has been some disruption in our postal system :rolleyes:,
we should perhaps allow an extra day or two on this election because of these delays.

Praise be to God for our many victories, I hope the cost in lives has not been too dear.

I wish to congratulate Captain General Fodorn on his excellent management of the war. I propose he be made a Cavalieri di San Marco (our only order of chivalry) to recognize his service.

As to our war aims, might I inquire about the culture and religion of the lands we have conquered, and also their tax bases, before casting my votes.

Respectfully,

Arturo Gandolfi

This is from vanilla file. Actual AGCEEP values in 1469 may vary slightly.
Code:
Name    	Capitol	Religion	Culture  	Manp.	Income	Goods 
Kosovo   	Nish	orthodox	slavonic	3	4	wool
Bulgaria  	Sofia	orthodox	slavonic	3	5	metal
Macedonia	Thess.	orthodox	greek    	4	11	grain
Rumelia  	Varna	orthodox	slavonic	3	6	NAVS
Serbia    	Beograd	orthodox	slavonic	3	6	grai
Dobrudja 	Silist.	orthodox	romanian	3	3	fish
Sochi    	Sochi	orthodox	georgian	5	4	wool

Captain General Fodorn,

Thank you for that information. My prime concern is that we don't accept any provinces that the Turks may have converted to Muslim. We don't need infidel fifth columnists in our midst.

Election 19

1B
2B (move the navy, see if they try to cross, if they come in waves try to cut off rearguard. if they all come, move our army across to siege smyrna, and anatolia, let them die of attrition. don't fight unless divided or weakened)
3B
4 Kosovo, Bulgaria (Turks may be very stubborn in negotiations. Try for Macedonia+, but if WE get's too high, we may have to settle)

Election 20

1B
2B (DoW Cyprus for lower BB)
3B Vassalize and ally

Arturo Gandolfi

We are still accepting votes regarding the Ottoman war and the Albanian question, but we also need to decide a host of things due to our 50 year celebration. Yes, we just made 50 years of game play. I can't wait until we start deciding on exploration and colonization.

[size=+1]Election 22. 1469-1479 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting War does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

Important: At this time we only have > 150 relationship with two countries not in our alliance, Palatinate (?) and The Knights Hospitalliers of the Order of St. John. I want you to notice that the Knights currently have no allies. Make sure that if you don't include them in any category is because you don't want them in any category.

[size=+1]Election 23. 1469-1499 Research investments and minting policies[/size]

This election deals with the budget window and all its options.

1. Peacetime research

Stablish the ideal position of the sliders according to you during peace time in percentages. For example:
1. L 10%, N 10%, T 20%, P 60%
The results will be averaged to voters not to % (i.e. three votes for a 0% versus one for 100% for Land will result in 0%, not 25%).

The example given is what we invested the first 25 years, advancing Land from 1 to 2+6%, Naval from 2 to 2+45%, Trade from 3 to 3+8%, and Production from 2 to 2+62%.

2. Stability

Our stability takes two years to raise on its own (more if we grow). State when should we direct our investment into the stability slider

A. Never
B. When we are at X stability and until we reach Y stability

For example:
2. B from -1 to +2

[size=+1]Election 24. 1469-1519 Economic priorities[/size]

This election deals with non military expenses for our treasure:

1. Treasure expenditure
Order the following items according to your priorities for 1469-1519 Venice.
-Merchants
-Conversions
-Manufactories
-Promotions
-Diplomatic gifts

2. Do you agree or disagree with keeping a reserve fund of about 200 D. once the high priority items are covered?

3. Manufactories
Our inflation is 4.0%. According to that and assuming a +2% increase in inflation per manufactory, state the following:

A. Maximal inflation allowed due to manufactory building
B. Type of next manufactory (FAA or Refinery)
C. Province to build it if FAA.
D. Province to build if Refinery (Morea and Ionia are wine provinces)

[size=+1]Election 25. General Domestic Policies[/size]

State the general domestic policies that we should aim to get as Venice in the next century (from 0 to 10). Value them as Priority, Important or Unimportant. This will help us deal with the random events.

(A)ristocracy
(C)entralization
(I)nnovativeness
(M)ercantilism
(O)ffensive
(L)and
(Q)uality
(S)erfdom

For example:
Election 24
A 0 Important
C 10 Priority
I 10 Important
M 5 Unimportant
O 9 Important
L 0 Unimportant
Q 5 Priority
S 3 Unimportant

Election 22

DF Tuscany, Naples, Austria, Knights, Bavaria, Hungary
F Castile, Portugal, England
Ad Tyrol, Genoa, Aragon, Papal States
En Ottoman, Egypt, Albania
War

Election 23
1. L 15% N 15% T 0% P 70%
2. B from 0 to +1

Arturo Gandolfi (still hanging on :rofl: )

Diplo Annexation

Fellow Senators,

Hasn't the time come to ask one of our vassals to join our noble Republic.

Naples has been a vassal for 25 years, and Tuscany almost that. Certainly they have seen the glory of our Republic, and would wish to join us.

Arturo Gandolfi

Election 24

1. Promotions (TC's), Merchants, Manu's, Conversions (only if Doge has good admin, try to convert greeks, ie if % is over 40%), Gifts

2. Agree

3. A. 6% B. Refinery C. Thrace D. Morea

Election 25

A 5 Unimportant
C 10 Priority
I 5 Unimportant
M 5 Unimportant
O 8 Important
L 0 Unimportant
Q 10 Important
S 3 Important

Arturo Gandolfi

Barbarigo.gif
Pascal Barbarigo​

Honorable senators, Capitano Fodorini, Cristoforo Moro,
As it is the first occasion I take the place of my father I beg you to bear with my questions and lack of knowledge about the work of this body. My father Aureo Barbarigo has told me a lot of the policies been laid down here, and I hope to be able to build on the wisdom he gathered.
I'm in my thirty fifth year, and has, as some of you may know, been supervising the business of our family in the Black Sea region. I hope to see Venice get more influence in this area. There are large Greek populations in many of the good harbours, and I think we could rule them without too many problems. I pray that the uprising on Corfu was just an isolated occurance, and not a widespread unrest.
Furthermore its my firm conviction that Venice should not be embroiled in the Holy Roman Empire, and that an alliance with Austria would turn out a problem without any benefits at all. We are a maritime power first and foremost, and the Emperor is best kept at a distance. Our current system of voting give no opportunity to state what nations should be kept OUT of our alliance. In that case I would vote for keeping out all German states and Hungary.

Code:
Election 22.
Dear friends: Tuscany, Naples, the Knights, Albania, Bosnia
Friends: Cyprus, Theodoro
Adversaries: Papal States, Tyrol, Aragon
Enemies: Genoa, Ottoman Empire
PEACE

Last edited:
Cornaro_G.gif

Greetings dear old friend Arturo---I see that I have arrived back from Cyrpus in time for important issues. Not that I don't trust my son, but youth has a way of clouding the mind. Though I am certainly old and can tell that I will soon join my fathers in the long sleep, I have no fear of these last days. And my voice is still clear. These 50 years have been so exciting and to have played a small roll allows me to know that I can now face my fathers with pride, in whose mighty company I shall now not be ashamed.

I will alert you to know that exciting things are happening in Cyprus, thus I pray that we do not ruin things by declaring war, of all things. My niece is the Queen, for goodness sake!

So many decisions to make, it almost overwhelms an old man, but I will attempt to speak clearly.

Election 22
1. Naples, Tuscany, Knights, Bosnia, Knights, Cyprus
2. Albania, Austria, France, Aragon, Bavaria, Savoy, Bohemia
3. Papal States, Tyrol,
4. OE, Genoa
5. Peace (though we all know war with the OE is going to be REQUIRED of us within 7-10 years)

Young Senator Pascal Barbarigo, let me remind you that when we vote here, by placing a nation into either slot 2-4, they will NOT be added to our alliance. Or, alternatively, by consistenly keeping whoever out of slot 1, you guarantee your desire. Of course, if you clearly place them into slot 3, then we all know of your feelings, yet the Doge will not seek war with them. Believe it or not, I think that the right location will be for you to keep whoever (Hungary, for instance) off the list in total if you don't want us to war with them nor want us to ally with them. For instance, once we get the infidel off of Europe's land, I will probably never place them on our enemies list. I will, at that time, NOT want war with the OE. I will want them to face their own kind and struggle with them and not us. I will want us to turn towards colonization and Italy. [ooc---Fodoron, if that is not true, then please clear me up--but as I have read/understood our rules, we didn't need a slot to place nations on a banished list]

Election 23
1. L 0%, N 0%, T0%, P 100%
2. B when we are at -1 or worse, till we reach at least 0 level

Election 24
1.Promotions (we must get TCs everywhere)
Diplomatic gifts (as needed, else skip down)
MErchants
Manus
Conversions

2. NO

3. I cede my right to vote on this to others more wise than I, such as Senator Dandolo.
I freely admit that this part of the elections trouble me since this part of running a country is so fluid. If a new CoT opens, for instance, I don't think the doge has to wonder, should I send merchants when obviously that first moment (assuming we own it, we are first) is the very best moment to send merchants. Or, when we gain a new province, putting in a TC seems, to me, the right thing at that moment, but perhaps in the meantime, saving towards the manu is right. I trust the Doge to handle this. So, voting here bugs me somewhat. PErhaps I am getting old or this side of things bores me.

Election 25
no vote
Here again, I will cede to smarter heads than mine. I would offer that it seems that naval is wise for us, as is defensive. I think we also know certain paths for our future that all hold to be wise and true, but trying to order, rank and score these spins my head around. Long did my own father want for me to focus on money and numbers, since our family would hopefully continually grow in finances. Alas for him, my skills are more in the social sciences, history and diplomacy; do not think to poorly of me for not having more to offer here.

Finally, Doge, I will join my aged voice with that of my old friend Arturo and hope that before my eyes fully dim that I can see the rejoicing of the final stage of that path we started almost 30 years ago--annexing Tuscany and Naples. I do not think this needs to be voted on. We made this plan and pact long ago. Is it not time?

Carlo Cornaro

Being a senator is a lot of work..

Code:
Election 23
1. L 20% N 20% T 60% I 0%
2. B, from -1 to +1

Election 24
1. Promotions, Manufactory, Conversion
2. Agree
3. 5% FAA Dalmatia Morea

Election 25
A 5 Unimportant