• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
- 1B I am getting the right amount of information on the game
Fodoron, your detailed reports of the game make it very easily to imagine and to decide according to the actual situation

- 2A I would prefer to have 5-yearly reports
Sorry is not my intention to make work harder but an span of 10 years is too much to actually see what have happened

- 3B We have the right number of elections
The senate is fuctioning at good capacity, not too much not too little decisions have been made, just what it has been needed

- 4B The game goes at the right speed
at times I thought it was going too fast, but the thing was that I kinda got disconnected of this thread :eek:o

- 5C An election time of 4-5 days is too long
For some elections, a period of almost a week is too much, maybe like lawkeeper said, 2-3 days is better, and for complicated ones that 4-5d is good.

- 6B The senate has the right control over the game
the decisions we've made and the ones you've made by yourself are according to our positions

- 7C There is too little history about Venice in the AAR
yes, perhaps this is right. But I belive that's not your fault at all, it's ours; we should try to write more about that (and personally, I Have to Read more about it)

Fellow Senators,

I know our esteemed Senator Carlec has called for a vote on a no-CB DoW on the Ottomans, and we also have a CB vs. Provence that we could use to try and attack Genoa. In general I oppose DoW without CB because of the BB cost, and I am confident the Ottomans will attack us eventually. I also fear that Genoa is too strong at the moment.

Instead I wish to propose another campaign. We have a core and CB on Cyprus, who is allied to Albania (who hate us). Their other allies are small and/or far away. The nature of this alliance would allow our great navy to keep our enemies divided, and let us bring overwhelming strength to bear against each in turn. A campaign against them could lead to the vassalization of both (giving us needed allies against the Turk and bases in the Eastern Med) and the conquest of Kosovo (as part of an eventual land route to Thrace and our Greek possessions), and would only cost 3 BB. If things go exceptionally well we might also vassalize Theodoros, as a launching pad against Kerch.

I ask Captain General Fodoron to gather intelligence on the strength of this alliance, and to include this option in any future war vote.

Respectfully,

Arturo Gandolfi

Dandolo.gif

Esteemed Senator Gandolfi,

It is not my intent to foolishly oppose a wise man who was a member of the Senate before I even came to life. So, please forgive me is my following remark seems silly.

You may already know that I have been raised on the island of Cyprus, in Nicosia proper. I have lived all my youth there, and only left the isle to move to Constantinople, following my father's wishes that I would volunteer to the military forces of the Serenissima Repubblica. So, I know the Cypriots, rather well I'd even say. They are not our enemies ; as a matter of fact, the Repubblica is held in great esteem, even among the highest spheres of the ruling nobility. The only true enemy we have there is the clergy, which is not surprising, as everybody knows that the Pope is a enforcer of tyranny.

They might easily be swayed to our alliance, or even closer, given time : they reprove their queen Charlotte much more than us.

Senator Enrico Dandolo

Senator Dandolo and Respected Senators,

I have no quarrel with the people of Cyprus, and I am glad to hear they are favorably inclined to us, for by internationally recognized right, their lands should belong to our Grand Republic. My quarrel is with their current government, which is ill disposed to us, and too weak to defend the island against the Turk. Likewise they have allied themselves with weak nations that include an enemy of ours, Albania. These pitiful nations will be of no aid if the Turk attacks, and we will be forced to declared war on the Turks ,without casus belli, to save them.

I view this situation much like our conquest of Constantinople. Although we had nothing against the Byzantines, we needed to wage war to save them from a far worse fate. Likewise with the Cypriots.

Respectfully,

Arturo Gandolfi

Cornaro_G.gif

Dear Senator Gandolfi, my father urged me to write to you regarding Cyprus. As you probably remember from this very forum, my family IS highly involved in Cyprus. My cousin Marco just recently married into one of the oldest royal lineages of Europe. Marco's father, Girogio, my dear father Carlo's brother, died at the hands of the hated Milan and it does our family good to see his son advancing so.

As such, my father is preparing for his trip to Cyprus as we speak. He will be able to give us a better view into the dealings of the government there. King John II Lusignan is not an evil man, but my father is going to attempt to advise Marco and his younger brother Andrea on steps to take. Both of my cousins have done well there, with extensive land holdings in Cyprus. You might remember that Andrea was banished from our homeland, but father maintained that those charges were purely political in nature. In any account, Marco's wedding bodes well for him, for my family, and even perhaps for Venice.

My advice to the Senate, if a younger man may give advice, is to bide our time regarding Cyprus. Though Andrea may bear some ill-will against some in the Senate, his heart still bleeds for the Republica Venetiana. My father's arrival there will be of aid to them and perhaps, some good may come regarding our two nations. However, any rash action on our part may ruin whatever good that could arise.

Patience oh wise Senators.

Doge, the wind is moving and my father cannot sit at harbor much longer. He urges me to beg you to call for the vote.

Humbly,

Eduardo Cornaro

Last edited:
Fellow Senators,

Senators Dandolo and Cornaro seem to have some information about the intentions of the Cypriots. Given their interests there, they may in fact have information unavailable to me, as my dealings keep me in Italy. So, if they believe that Cyprus can be brought into our sphere peacefully, I will yield to there opinions.

Arturo Gandolfi

Noble Senate,

The last five years (1454-1458) have been relatively calm. We could not use the CB against Provence, due to the strengh of Genoa, and then their alliance expired. We have improved our economy in preparation for future wars. The main events in Venice were:

We have now three leaders, a good land commander, Colleoni, and two naval leaders, good Loredano (not Jacopo), and average Canal.
We have a refinery in Crete.
We have a new Doge, Pasquale Malipiero, of the golden party.
The following random events happened to us: Diplomatic insult (Bohemia), Nobles demand old rights (chose -2 stab), and unprovoked revolt (Corfu).
The historic event "The abdication of Doge Foscarini" happened to us. We chose to limit the powers of the Council of Ten, as agreed (-1 Aristo, -50D, Monarch ADM +2 for 12 months).

On the international arena, the OE and KK were at war with the Timurid Empire by event, but they could not reach it. Due to this, the OE has accumulated an impressive army. Hungary, Austria and Bohemia are at peace, but Tyrol attacked Switzerland, and Bayreuth annexed her.

Now if senators Moro and Cornero would please enter their verdict, and after senator Barbarigo please enters his sentence, I will post a detailed account of those events.
Then I will post the summary and report and finally we can move to our next elections, that are our international situation and a special election on the OE policy, that comes at the right time, because Pope Pius II is calling for an international crusade against the Turk.

Last edited:
1454-1458 Account:

Year 1454
On January, Bartolomeo Colleoni (land leader 4,4,3) was commissioned.
On January, Canal (naval leader 3,2,2) was commissioned.
On April our stability rose to +3
Started refinery in December in Crete for 734D

Important international events nearby
The government of Naples fallen

Our diplomacy
-Obtained MA from Theodoros

Year 1455
-Sent 5 merchants for 34D: 4 succeeded and 1 failed.
Total +4 merchant
Minting set at 0%, treasury 141, Inflation 5.0%
Diplomatic Insult happened to us. CB against Bohemia for 12 months.

Egypt had Civil War

Our diplomacy
Renewed RM with Cyprus

Year 1456
Rebellion in Marche
Refinery completed in Crete

Our diplomacy

Year 1457
Nobles demand old rights happened to us. We chose stability -2
Our stability decreased to +1
The abdication of Doge Foscarini happened to us (-1 Aristo, -50D, Monarch ADM +2 for 12 months)
Pasquale Malipiero is elected new Doge

Transaxonia joined alliance with Kara Koyunlu, OE, Yemen & Sirvan
Sirvan became vassal of Kara Koyunlu
France, Burgundy, Scotland & Switzerland DoW Provence
Tyrol, Bavaria, Berg, Palatinate & Bayreuth DoW Switzerland, Burgundy, France & Scotland

Our diplomacy
-Theodoros rejected the renewal of our RM

Year 1458
Unprovoked revolt happened to us in Corfú
-Recruited 1000 inf. for 14D in Corfú

Switzerland was annexed by Bayreuth

Our diplomacy
Renewed our RM with Hungary

[size=+1]1458 Report (December)[/size]

1458d.jpg

Economy
Stability +1
Stability cost = 445D/level
Treasury = 96D
Inflation 5.0

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1423     7
1428     9
1433     9
1438     9
1443    11
1448    13
1453    13
1458    13

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1423      46.80      37.43     6.2
1428      68.13      44.40     8.8
1433      78.78      44.14     8.8
1438      79.68      44.37     9.8
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1448      95.84      72.49    14.8
1453      97.74      78.34    13.8
1458      88.09      81.13    14.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1423      12.8      3.1       9.7     0.0     25.7       -2.2
1428      16.1      3.7       8.3     0.0     28.1       -2.2
1433      16.8      3.7       7.2     0.0     27.7       -2.5
1438      16.7      3.7       7.6     0.0     28.0       -2.6
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1448      20.8      6.0       6.2     0.0     33.1       -3.1
1453      21.3      6.5       9.4     0.0     37.3       -3.8
1458      20.8      7.8      12.1     0.0     40.7       -3.9

35 merchants in CoTs (+8). 6 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-8 in Italy, 8-9 in Europe, 18-26 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 57% (first nation).

National
Monarch Pasquale Malipiero
Military Good (7)
Administrative Average (5)
Diplomacy Average (5)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33 38 43 48 53 58
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  3
Centralization     3  4  -  -  -  -  -  5  -
Innovative         4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  4  5  -  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Land               2  -  3  2  -  -  1  -  -
Quality            6  -  7  6  7  -  6  -  -
Serfdom            4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 2 + 53% (1475, 15%)
Naval 2 + 93% (1461, 15%)
Trade 3 + 35% (1491, 70%)
Production 3 + 8% (1655, 0%)

Manufactories:
Refinery in Crete (finished in 1456)

Military

Maximum morale displayed at 50% maintenance (Not real morale): 1.75 + 0.5 - 0.02 = 2.23

Leaders:
G. Loredan (naval) 4,3,4
Bartolomeo Colleoni (land) 4,4,3
Canal (naval) 3,3,2

Army 21k infantry, 19k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% 2.9 D/month
Army support limit = 50 000 (16 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 14D
Cavalry 31D

Navy 6 warships, 37 galleys, 9 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1 D/month
Navy support limit = 128
Cost of naval units:
warships 41D
Galleys 9D

Manpower = 11
Manpower pool = 23,000 (1000/month)

International

1) Standing
Cores (Permanent CB): Cyprus (Cyprus)
Allies: Naples, Tuscany
Bad Boy 7.0/35 slightly tarnished
Permanent CB: Cyprus
Temporary CB:

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States.

1458e.jpg

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States -175 (Aragon +83, Brittany)
Venice (Naples +200 MA, Tuscany +172 MA)
Genoa +125
North:
Tyrol +137 RM (Bavaria +126, Berg, Palatinate, Bayreuth, Wirtemberg +125)
Danubian:
Austria +187 RM MA (Styria +97 RM, Savoy +125 MA, Hungary -28 RM, Bohemia +52, Denmark)
Balcan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bosnia +88 MA
Moldava -106
Wallachia -89
OE -200 (Kara Koyunlu -199, Yemen, Sirvan, Transoxiana)
Karaman -200
Mediterranean:
The Knights +125, (Cyprus -25 RM, Georgia, -101, Theodoros +15 MA, Albania -200)
Egypt -122, (Ramazan -154)
Black sea:

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia and Bosnia are vassals of OE
Savoy and Wirtemberg are vassals of Tyrol
Moldava is a vassal of Lithuania
Naples and Tuscany are vassals of Venice
Ramazan is a vassal of Egypt
Styria and Bohemia are vassals of Hungary
Sirvan is a vassal of Kara Koyunlu

4) Changes in our area:
Switzerland was annexed by Bayreuth

Our standing:

1458f.jpg

And the really good news:

1458g.jpg

[size=+1]Election 18. 1459-1469 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State as many countries as you want that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or vassalize to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (War) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (Peace) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting W does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election, since events are possible that could grant us a CB depending on our choice, or a temporary CB could come along and your choices will let me know what the senate wants. As a general rule I will not DoW without a CB, and I will not DoW countries outside 3) or 4) even if CB, and I will not DoW if 5) Peace. As always, special circumstancies will be brought to the senate for discussion.

Results: Cut out at 3 votes.

1) Dear friends: Tuscany (7/7), Naples (7/7), Bosnia (4/7), Cyprus (3/7)
2) Friends (with carry over): Austria (5/7), France (3/7)
3) Adversaries (with carry over): Papal States (5/7), Tyrol (3/7)
4) Enemies: Ottoman Empire (7/7), Genoa (5/7), Albania (4/7), Egypt (3/7)
5) War clause: War (5/7)

Last edited:
[size=+1]Election 19: The Ottoman Menace[/size]
Dear Senators,

The Ottoman Empire will always have a permanent casus belli against us. It is an aggressive country on the rise. Their current sultan, Mehmed II, is very angry that we conquered Constantinople, since he wanted her for himself. Sooner or later we are going to fight. We can do it on their terms or on ours. Senators Cornaro, Dandolo and Barbarigo suggest we should discuss the matter, to be better prepared when the time comes. Their armies are stronger and with much higher morale than ours. They are the best army in the world. On the following picture from yesterday (Dec. 1458) you can appreciate about 60k men and 40 ships in just 5 of their 13 provinces. Capitano Generale Fodoroni estimates their forces at over 100k men. Our support limit is between 45k and 50k depending on merchant success. We currently have 40k men. 5k men are the permanent garrisons of Crete and Corfú, not available for combat unless in dire need. Although the quality of our men is not bad, their defensiveness and naval orientation puts them at a great disadvantage.

1458h.jpg

Vote Yes if you agree or No if you disagree to all of the statements in 1 and 2 to avoid funky results due to spread of votes:

1. WHEN TO DOW.

1A. As soon as we are ready and conditions are good. CB or not CB.
1B. As soon as we get a CB against them and get ready.
1C. As soon as we get a CB against an ally, that they should honor and get ready (could be earlier than 1B).
1D. Join an alliance at war against them (it might be possible in about 25 years).
1E. Not in the near future (ask again in 25 years), we have more pressing matters.
1F. I rather we do not DoW them for the time being. Wait and be prepared for their DoW.

2. CONDITIONS FOR DOW.

2A. When we are strong militarily. Start building up the military forces.
2B. When we have strong allies (wait until we can join somebody likely to help, it might be possible in about 25 years)
2C. When they are at war with somebody else (wait as long as possible for that according to 1)
2D. When stability is positive (make priority and otherwise do not DoW)

3. GOALS IN OFFENSIVE WAR (increased BBs).

3A. Get one or two selected provinces and money and bail out. Strategic war with few resources and limited goals.
3B. Take everything you can and as many provinces as possible. Total war with every resource and maximum (99% warscore) goals.
3C. Anihilation war. Loot all their provinces and destroy their military to weaken them to the maximum. Do not think about costs. Final goal is erradication.

4. GOALS IN DEFFENSIVE WAR (reduced BBs).

4A. Get one or two selected provinces and money and bail out. Strategic war with few resources and limited goals.
4B. Take everything you can and as many provinces as possible. Total war with every resource and maximum (99% warscore) goals.
4C. Anihilation war. Loot all their provinces and destroy their military to weaken them to the maximum. Do not think about costs. Final goal is erradication.

5. List of Provinces that the OE has in 1459:
Code:
"Europe":
Dobruja		Slavonic	Orthodox	Medium
Rumelia		Slavonic	Orthodox	Poor
Serbia		Slavonic	Orthodox	Poor
Bulgaria	Slavonic	Orthodox	Medium
Macedonia	Greek		Orthodox	Poor

"Asia":
Sochi		Caucasian	Orthodo		Poor
Trabzon		Greek		Orthodox	Poor
Sivas		Turkish		Sunni		Poor
Kastamon	Turkish		Sunni		Medium
Angora		Turkish		Sunni		Rich
Anatolia	Turkish		Orthodox	Medium
Smyrna		Greek		Orthodox	Rich
Antalia		Turkish		Sunni		Poor

Write in order your 5 most desirable provinces. Factor in their strategic value.

6. ALLIES

6A Invite Naples and Tuscany to the war so they start building up their military.
6B Do not invite Naples and Tuscany, since we will have to defend them and they will only give us attrition.

7. Pius II crusade: Pope Pius II has called for a crusade against the Turk, and we will be offered to join (I made the event). What will be our answer?

7A Do not join (+40D, relationship with PAP -50)
7B Join (+5000 INF, CB against TUR for 6 months, relationship with PAP +50)

An example of the vote Pascuale Malipiero "Dux pacificus" would cast if he were allowed (Fodoroni would have a different opinion that he keeps for himself):
1A NO. 1B NO. 1C NO. 1D NO. 1E YES. 1F YES.
2A NO. 2B NO. 2C YES. 2D YES.
3A. 4B.
Macedonia, Smyrna, Bulgaria, Trabzon, Rumelia
6B. 7A.

RESULTS:
Only approved policies showed:
1. WHEN TO DOW.
1A. As soon as we are ready and conditions are good. CB or not CB. (5/8)
1B. As soon as we get a CB against them and get ready. (5/8)
1C. As soon as we get a CB against an ally, that they should honor and get ready. (6/8)
1D. Join an alliance at war against them (it might be possible in about 25 years). (5/8)

So we want to start the war as soon as we see that the conditions are right.

2. CONDITIONS FOR DOW.
2A. When we are strong militarily. Start building up the military forces. (8/8)
2B. When we have strong allies (wait until we can join somebody likely to help, it might be possible in about 25 years) (4/8)
2C. When they are at war with somebody else (wait as long as possible for that according to 1) (7/8)

That they are already at war is strongly desirable. The following one is a tie, so it is up to me:

2B. When we have strong allies (wait until we can join somebody likely to help, it might be possible in about 25 years) (4/8)

A tie between:
3A. Get one or two selected provinces and money and bail out. Strategic war with few resources and limited goals. (3/7)
3B. Take everything you can and as many provinces as possible. Total war with every resource and maximum (99% warscore) goals. (3/7)

A tie between:
4A. Get one or two selected provinces and money and bail out. Strategic war with few resources and limited goals. (3/7)
4C. Anihilation war. Loot all their provinces and destroy their military to weaken them to the maximum. Do not think about costs. Final goal is erradication. (3/7)

I will have to decide on the goals according to all the votes, there is a shift towards more aggressive if defensive.

5. Preferred Provinces (Anatolia does not qualify):
Macedonia (8/8), Smyrna (8/8), Bulgaria (7/8), Rumelia (5/8), Dobruja (4/8), Serbia (3/8), Trabzon (1/7)

6. ALLIES
6B Do not invite Naples and Tuscany (5/8)

7. Pius II crusade:
7B Join (7/8)

Last edited:
Dear Senator, Venetian people,

The Council of Mantua, despite Pope Pius II's original intentions and the grand parade of princes and condottieri, has proven a real failure. Be aware of this before taking any imprudent decision. The Pope's authority is not held in consideration as it was centuries ago, when the excommunication of a Christian prince (or Emperor, remember Fredrick II) could represent his political death. France, England, Iberians seem scarcely interested in such adventure. Our allies should be taken apart from the fight, just if we want to be secured that the Infidels don't land in Italy.

Probably the only useful friends are the huge alliances headed by the Hapsburg (Tyrol, Savoy, Bohemia, Hungary, etc.)
and the Knights (Cyprus, Georgia, etc.). They have direct access to the Infidels' lands or can receive from us logistic assistance (Tyrol, in particular). If a warring attitude emerges, seriously consider to declare war on Ottoman Empire only if it busy with one of these two alliances or (but this can happen only after the end of our current alliance) eventually join another alliance, considering our good relations with both Austria and the Knights.

Considering their force, we cannot allow ourselves stupid decisions. In Mantua I was one of the most enthusiastic supporters of the Crusade, but there I've been thought that patience and diplomacy secure better results than irruence.

Cristoforo Moro
Ambassador by the Holy See (IRL, before becoming Doge in 1762)

Election 19
1.A no 1.B no 1.C si 1.D si 1.E no 1.F no
2.A si 2.B si 2.C si 2.D no
3.C (no wrong provinces, just elimination of their forces and forced-vassalisation if possible)
4.C
5. Macedonia, Smyrna, Trabzon, no other
6.B
7.B

Last edited:
Dandolo.gif
Code:
Election 18

1. Naples, Tuscany, Bosnia
2. Burgundy, France
3. Tyrol, Albania, Egypt, Portugal
4. Genoa, Papal States, Aragon, Ottoman Empire
5. War

Honorable Senators, Respected Doge,

Time has come. A new generation of gifted and talented commanders has come, let them not be wasted to garrison duty. We have both bright leadership for our land-fleets, and brilliant sea-captains for the Republican Navy. Time has come to free our italian and greek brothers from foreign yoke.

Do not let isolated Bosnia fall alone. Extend a friendly and protective arm, to bring them close to us in these times of fell darkness. Initiate friendly overtures to Burgundy and France, as they might prove useful in our future, to help us against the Habsburg's and the Iberians.

Tyrol is gaining speed in it's expansion. Waiting much longer might prove to be our downfall.

Albania is our neighbour, but is hostile to us : their alliance with other fiercely independent states like the Knights of Rhodes, Theodoros and Georgia (Cyprus is another matter entirely) proves it. All of them refuse to acknowledge our domination of trade in the Eastern Mediterranean Sea, Mare Nostrum. Gaining their vows of loyalty and vassalilty would increase our influence, in the purpose of our final confrontation with Genoa.

Egypt and Portugal seek to contest our domination of trade : those heathens are keeping their control on the trade of the shores of Palestine and the Nile, while the subjects of Enrique the Navigator try to find a way to avoid our meddling in their trade. If the occasion arise, do not let them succeed.

Genoa, Aragon, the Pope and the Turks are all invaders and tyrants, to be deposed to assure the freedom and wellfare of the italian and greek peoples, under our wise and enlightenned rule.

Genoa delenda est.

Thank you for your attention,
Senator Enrico Dandolo

Code:
Election 19
1. WHEN TO DOW.
1A. Yes ; 1B. Yes ; 1C. Yes ; 1D. Yes ; 1E. No ; 1F. No.
2. CONDITIONS FOR DOW.
2A. Yes ; 2B. No ; 2C. Yes ; 2D. No.
3B. Take everything you can and as many provinces as possible. Total war with every resource and maximum (99% warscore) goals.
4C. Anihilation war. Loot all their provinces and destroy their military to weaken them to the maximum. Do not think about costs. Final goal is erradication.
5. Smyrna, Macedonia, Bulgaria, Dobrudja, Anatolia
6. B
7. B
If we allow them to exist, we will never be secure. We need to destroy them, as much as we need to crush Genoa.

Yet, we should be careful : we know our goals, do not blind ourselves to everything else.

Genoa delenda est. Ottomans idem.

Last edited:
Mocenigo.gif
Noble senators,

we should thank our Captain General for bringing us back to the harsh reality of our eastern borders. While we worry about Portuguese explorations and other commercial matters, the storm is gathering on the horizon. Perhaps we have grown complacent, and I myself must admit to have been partially responsible for this.

The Ottoman challenge is clear, what need do we have for another casus belli? Indeed, I am sure that all Christendom shall look with favor on us if we stop the Turks in Asia; it may even help repair our relationship with his Holyness which, now in my advanced age, I value more than in the past.

Enough empty words, what we should do is clear. As for how to do it, it seems to me there is little doubt. We cannot match the Sultan's strength on land, therefore we must use our naval superiority. Their asian forces must never reach the Greek shores. Then we might have a chance to isolate and surround their troops in Europe. Even that might be quite a task, though. Therefore I recommend that we immediately begin a large galley building program, until our fleet reaches at least 1 1/2 times theirs. With that we may gain uncontested control of the Dardanelles and the Aegean Sea. This task will undoubtly take many years.

We will be ready when our fleet is capable of th etask above and we have a military superiority on the European side. We may not be able to completely eject the Turks from Europe, but we may be able to achieve a large enough victory as to cut all their possessions from access by their troops. For that, securing Macedonia and Rumelia must be our priorities.

While we cannot immediately respond to their threat, we must stay alert, and ready to take advantage of any moment of weakness they may have. Either way, let's start making preparations for the inevitable.

Gabriele Mocenigo

Election 18

Dear friends: Tuscany, Naples
Friends: Austria, France, Castille
Adversaries: Aragon, Tyrol, Savoy, Papal States
Enemies: Genoa, Ottomans, Albania, Egypt
Warmonger clause: peace

Election 19

When to DOW
1A Yes 1B Yes 1C Yes 1D Yes 1E No 1F No

Conditions
2A Yes 2B No 2C Yes 2D No

Goals offensive
3B

Goal defensive
4A

5 Priority provinces
Macedonia, Rumelia, Bulgaria, Serbia, Smyrna

6 Allies
6B

Crusade
7Abstain (when is it gonna be?)

I am really happy with this collaborative AAR and I would like more people to join the fun.

I have one more perk for participants.

I have started to make a pdf capturing this AAR for the future. When we decide it is the time to put an end to it (hopefully 1820) I will send it to anybody still around. I am making it so it can be printed both sides and bound. It will make a fine read a few years down the line, when our computers are no longer capable of running EU3 ;)

It is structured in three parts. The first contains our AAR posts, both character or not, with little linkers to fill the gaps. It will also be divided in three parts , roughly 1419-1550, 1550-1700, 1700-1820. The other two parts will contain the year by year account and the five yearly reports, as appendices.

If you want to see a sample of how it will look, I hanged a first draft of the first 8 pages here

Comments are as always welcomed. Have fun.

EDIT special thanks to the contributors to the trials of Jacopo Foscari. Great job.

Last edited:
Fodoron, do you not have a job? :) That's really awesome friend. Can't wait for it. Now, on with the show---

Cornaro_G.gif

I rushed here as quickly as I could once Eduardo's message arrived at my ship. Finally, we can end this madness. Now, hear me well friends and our new Doge. No one should assume that I am some warmonger who wishes to unleash the dogs of war. I do not think we should rush madly into a war with the infidel, but we must be able and ready to strike when the moment presents itself. Remember, not a decade past the turk was deep in Hungarian territory, spending its energies against the walls of our old advesary. What a moment that might have been to unleash a quick strike on the turk. And that is precisely why I have called for this vote. The Doge must have the ability to strike such an infidel without worrying about anyone's definition of just cause. The infidel is on European shore; that is CB enough. And now we have the Holy Father calling for a crusade, though it sounds as if you, Doge have abandoned reason and been less than welcoming to the pontifex maximus. I note that our relations with the papal states has grown worse since your notes of late; but that can all be rectified by our armies leading the charge against the infidel.

Election 18
1. Naples, Tuscany, Bosnia
2. Austria, France, Aragon, Savoy, Bavaria
3. Papal States, Tyrol
4. Ottoman Empire, Genoa, Albania
5. peace

wise lawkeeper has already noted Bosnia there alone in the world. What a PERFECT opportunity for us to prepare to meet the infidel. Doge, quickly bring them into our alliance and let us pave the way for a future that might include them joining our glorious Republic.

Election 19
1.A yes, B no, C yes, D no, E no, F no
2. A yes, B no, C yes, D yes
3. A
4. B
5. Macedonia, Symrna, Bulgaria, Rumelia, Serbia
6. B
7. B

Last points before I must return to continue my preparations--I would rather NEVER see us give up a position of alliance leader. Only we should control our future and when we are not the alliance leader, bad things can happen, thus my vote against joining another alliance at war. If another alliance is at war with the OE, THEN WE SHOULD STRIKE!

Also, let us be wise about our future. The OE is large and it should be noted that in all likelihood, it will take 2 or 3 campaigns against them. do not think that we must try to take all in the first blow. It has been correctly noted that we are small. If we can strike at the right moment, we can probably snatch a province or two and that only strengthens us and weakens them. Then, in another few years, we can prepare to strike again.

Let us move forward and prepare. This war is inevitable; the crusade is called for.

Back to reality---I didn't think we could ask for Anatolyia since that is the capital. Can we? If so, then I'd place that before Rumelia and Serbia.

Election 18
1 Hungary Tyrol Bosnia Tuscany Naples Austria
2 Papal States Aragon
3 Genoa Egypt France
4 Ottoman Empire
5 War

Election 19
1A Yes
1B No
1C No
1D No
1E No
1F No

2A Yes just build to support limits
2B Yes
2C Yes
2D No

3C Crush them but don't take too many provinces. Try to get our allies/co-belligerents to take ottoman territories.

4A A defensive war probably means we are facing them alone, in which case I would be happy to see us get away intact.

5 Macedonia Kossovo Bulgaria Rumelia Smyrna

6B

7B As I want to be freindly with the pope
No time to argue my position now. I may come back and edit this message later

Last edited:
New Ally

Fellow Senators,

I have heard several of you suggest adding Bosnia to our alliance. I wish this could be so, but they have cowardly placed themselves in vassalization to the Turks, so will not join our alliance.

I wish to propose a far more radical suggestion.

Genoa is alone, and despite the vitriol against them in this Senate, we have good relations with them, +125.

If we are so eager to fight the Turk, and I don't oppose this, why not add them to our alliance. True, we are trading rivals. But they are Christians and Italians, and possess a fine navy. Why not use their strength to further our ends?

Together, our naval strength is unbeatable, and we might even consider a trade agreement.

Respectfully,

Arturo Gandolfi

Dear Fellow Senators

We desparately need more allies to fight the Turk. We should gain them any way we can. Perhaps we can annex one of our vassals, let our alliance expire, and join one which is likely to fight the Turks. I do not agree that we should never give up alliance leadership. If we start a war we will have it, and in any alliance, we may not be the war leader if someone else is attacked. Beating the Turk is paramount, then we can reconfigure our alliance to suit us.

Election 18

Dear Friends: Naples, Tuscany, Genoa, Hungary, Austria, Bavaria, Knights, Cyprus.
Friends: Spain, England, Poland, Portugal, Theodoros.
Adversaries: Papal States, Aragon.
Enemies: Ottomans, Albania, Tyrol, Egypt
War: Yes

Election 19

1A No B Yes C Yes D Yes E No F No
2A Yes (don't exceed support limits) B Yes C Yes D Yes
3A Yes B No C No
4A No B Yes C No
5 Macedonia, Bulgaria, Smyrna, Rumelia, Dobruja
6 A
7 B

Arturo Gandolfi

Election 18
1. Tuscany, Naples, Cyprus, Knights
2. Tyrol, Austria
3. Papal States
4. OE, Albania, Genoa
5. W A R

From a gamers perspective I can see aegandolfi's point, however my character would never agree to such a deal with the devil...

Election 19
1A. no
1B. yes
1C. yes
1D. yes
1E. no
1F. no

2A. YES! :D
2B. yes
2C. yes
2D. yes

3B