• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
The danish ambassador thanks the Doge very much for allowing his humble self to command a regiment of the great military of the Republic.
The ambassador also hereby declares that he is most leaing towards the politics of the Golden Party, therefore, he joins the Golden Party.

The danish Ambassador.

Delfino.gif

Our family have always showed a true sense of what our limitations and goals are, and we have always managed to voice our opinions wise and clear. That is why, supporting the offering, we are claiming our participation and full involment as a Golden Partisan, and as our color shows, this reflects how we understand the true richness of our country and our commitment to defend it and to how exactly improve it.

TG Delfino
Golden Party Member

ps: uff Fodoron, thanks for this idea!, I was waiting for something like that... it will make us participate more like politician as we are suppose to be... also, that'll give us the chance to fight (in a political way of course ;)) with each other.... it'll be so cool!... :D ..... hmm.. i was thinking :rolleyes: that perhaps we should give also an internal voting between members of the parties for some decisions... hmm... but maybe that'll complicate things..

ps2: on the other idea, I support it as well, the story will be a lot more popular among everybody, you can use both of mine as you like... but remember that Delfino fellas I'm putting them against war and all that, so maybe they should be like ambassadors or something like that... don't know... hey, btw, the story of the killing of lawkeeper's character, Nice One.. two thumbs up on that :D:D ;) .. I should advertise that thread too... it's so good...

Alright, lets close the event election.
Almost everybody supported the reduction in ARISTO, and half supported the increase in ADM for the monarch. We only got 2/6 support for +1 stability or for -50D, so I took the liberty of breaking the tie towards -50D to avoid the event from being too good.

While testing the events, I discovered that the text was causing problems, so I shortened it a little. Also reductions in ADM by -1 did not show in the button, although they did happen when pressed, but the player has to know what he is chosing, so I made all ADM reductions/increases -2/+2 and shortened the period to 1 year. I have included the events in the game as you have already seen ;) and have submitted them to AGCEEP. The final version is:

Code:
# The Two Foscari I #
# By the Council of Ten (Democratic Venetian AAR) #

event = {
	id = 326023
	trigger = { owned = { province = 390  data = -1 } }
	random = no
	country = VEN
	name = "The Trials of Jacopo Foscarini"
	desc = "Francesco Foscarini, the longest lasting doge in Venice history, pursued aggressive policies, that although successful in the short term, due to the acquisition of Brescia and Bergamo from Milan, engaged Venice in never ending wars in Italy that emptied the treasury and caused inflation. Foscarini had powerful enemies that were economically harmed by his policies, and the conduct of his only son Jacopo opened his flank to their attack. Jacopo Foscarini was tried by the Council of Ten three times between 1444 and 1456 for accepting bribes, murder and treason. He was treated with relative leniency given the seriousness of the accusations, in part because the worst between them, that of murdering a respected senator, could not be proved. He was first banished from the city, then exiled in Crete and finally imprisoned for a year, before dying in exile in 1457."
	style = 1
	date = { day = 1 month = january year = 1444 }
	offset = 400
	deathdate = { day = 1 month = january year = 1456 }

action_a = {
		name = "Declare the son of the Doge guilty"
		command = { type = treasury value = 30 } # states confiscated
		command = { type = ADM  which = -2  value = 12 } # Doge performs badly
		command = { type = relation  which = MLO  value = -30 } # insulted by accusation of bribary
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "Declare the son of the Doge innocent"
		command = { type = sleepevent which = ?????? } # The Two Foscari II
		command = { type = relation  which = MLO  value = 10 }
	}
}

# The Two Foscari II #
# By the Council of Ten (Democratic Venetian AAR) #

event = {
	id = ??????
	random = no
	country = VEN
	name = "The Abdication of Francesco Foscarini"
	desc = "Following the death of Jacopo, his last remaining son, in exile, Francesco Foscarini, a man of 84 years of age, was very much affected. The political party opposed to him accused him of neglecting his duties, something that had not been a problem in the previous 150 years, where all Doges had died of old age. He was further humiliated when the Council of Ten forced his resignation, taking from him the symbols of power and expelling him from the Ducal Palace. Two days after his successor was elected, he died. The discontent between the venetians for this unnecessary mistreatment was so big that the Council of Ten confiscated the corpse from the family and dressed him in the dogal garments for his state funeral, and had his successor and opponent, Pasquale Malipiero, walk behind in senatorial dress. Despite the masquerade, a year later, the High Council passed a law limiting the power of the Council of Ten in matters regarding the Doge and his provisions, and publicly reprimanded the Council."
	style = 1
	date = { day = 2 month = november year = 1457 }

action_a = {
		name = "Limit the powers of the Council of Ten"
		command = { type = domestic  which = aristocracy  value = -1 } # The Republic prevails
		command = { type = ADM  which = 2  value = 12 } # The Dogeship is supported
		command = { type = treasury value = -50 } # Foscarini's states are returned
	}
	action_b = {
		name = "Let the Council of Ten get away with it"
		command = { type = stability value = -1 } # People are dissatisfied
		command = { type = ADM  which = -2  value = 12 } # The Dogeship is diminished
		command = { type = treasury value = 30 } # Foscarini's states produce interest
	}
}

I remind you that we will be chosing option A for the second too, unless people are against it. I think the Council of Ten is taking too many liberties as of lately :D

Fellow Senators,

As heirs to the Roman Empire, rightful rulers of Italy, and defenders of Christendom against the Ottoman infidels, we must expand or perish.

I therefore announce my adherence to the Blue party.

Respectfully,

AEG

Cornaro_G.gif

Bah! Blue, Gold--who needs these things, these groupings of particular interest. Far too long my family has attempted to rise above petty politics of partisan interest and serve only the state, the Glorious Republic that is Venice.

I grow old and weary from these discussions. While the infidel, the enemy of all in Christendom prowls outside our doors, we grapple with ourselves over the scraps from Genoa's table like mere curs. Now, my aged ears hear rumblings of political parties entering our Senate. I will not give my allegiance to any party!

I have called for a vote and I demand it allowing the Doge to move against the Ottomans, but I fear it will never happen. I cannot stand this anymore, the waiting for the stroke to fall when they assualt us. I have reached my 60s and know that my time here is limited, but my family will remain. How can we wait so passively or bicker so over colors?

I have given orders for my properties to be put in order and I plan to sail to Cyprus to visit my relatives. I have neglected to properly gift the new couple. Perhaps my visit there can be of some aid to the Senate. In any case, I will wait before I sail in the faint hope that the Doge will call for the vote I have long insisted on. If so I will vote. Regardless, I am leaving my 20 year old son Eduardo in charge of the family matters while I am away.

For the diplomatic actions required to declare war to Saxony I started minting with 70% of our monthly budget (kept the 30% on military research out of laziness. It is tricky to adjust them back to the decimal). War was not declared, but given the good economic conditions, and following the senatorial mandate reflected in elections 7 and specially 11, were minting was approved for the construction of a manufactory, with a limit on inflation at 6%, minting was hence continued.

I estimate that we will have enough funds for a manufactory in a little over a year, by 1455, for an inflation around 5.0% (initial inflation was 3.0%).

Therefore I call on:

[size=+1]Election 17. Manufactory decision[/size]

Chose one for every option.

1A We need a Fine Arts Academy.
1B We need a Refinery.
1C I changed my mind. Stop minting and use the money for our other needs.

If we need a FAA, it should be at:
2A Veneto (capitol)
2B Other, specify

If we need a Refinery, it should be at:
3A Crete (sugar)
3B Ionia (wine)
3C Morea (wine)
3D Other, specify

After the manufactory is started,
4A Continue minting for a second manufactory if conditions are still favorable (Inflation will raise to around 7.0%)
4B We don't need another manufactory right now. Let's wait until the election scheduled in 1469.

The second manufactory, if approved, should be a:
5A FAA
5B Refinery

Location for a second manu would be the second most popular choice.

For example:
1B. 2B (Thrace). 3A. 4B. 5B.

Election 17 is closed. The results are:
1B We need a refinery (8/8)
2B If we needed a FAA it would be at Veneto (5/7), but we don't now.
3A The refinery should be built at Crete (5/8)
4 and 5. On the issue of a second refinery, the senate is absolutely split (4/8) both in if we should built it and what kind of manu should be.

We move along until 1469, and I will put a new vote on the issue then.

Last edited:
Code:
Election 17
1B, 2A, 3C, 4B, 5A

From the Ambassadors office:
I feel the need for a manufactory, and i do believe that a refinery in Morea is the best placement, i do enjoy the Greek wine, and a increace in the production of this wine will surely boost our trade and income.

The Danish ambassador.

Last edited:
Moro_t.jpg

Cristoforo Moro,
Governatore della Provincia di Creta​

Dear Senators,

rejoy because my illustrious father Count Moro, Inquisitore del Supremo Terribile Tribunale, has passed away and reunited with our Mighty God. From now on I will take his place in this assembly, leaving my former duties as Governatore della Provincia di Creta. Anyway, I feel the necessity to point out the need for that remote island of a material improvement in economic conditions. Sugar production, Crete's main resource, is suffering huge competition from Portuguese overseas colonies. Someone has rumoured that some colonists have reached fertile islands in the middle of Atlantic and made successfully plantations of canes. Even more, an industrial refinery has been built, further improving productivity. I heard from merchants in the port of Hania that Castillian are trying the same in the Canaries, off the coasts of Africa... We need a refinery to improve production and bite the Iberians before they put us out of the market... and here in Crete it's a safer place, isolated from potential attacks of the Ottomans.

Code:
Election 17
1B 2B 3A 4B 5A

Barbarigo.gif
Aureo Barbarigo​

Dear Senators,
Let us welcome Christofo Moro and rejoice with him that his father now rests in the light of the Allmighty. I commend him for such a wise first vote in this assembly. I fully agree that Crete would be a good place for a refinery. It's remote and safe, and if I recall correctly they have even reluctantly converted to the right faith. That should make the island even more stable. We don't want pesky rebels to destroy our great investment, do we!?

Code:
Election 17
1B, 2A, 3C, 4B, 5A

Fellow Senators,

It is with great sadness that I note the passing of Count Moro, he has been a true pillar of the Republic.

Welcome to his son Christofo, and may he serve the Republic as well.

I agree we need a refinery in Crete. With out naval strength, it will be most secure there. I think one manufactury is all we can afford at the moment, but if the consensus be for two, let that also be a refinery, as trade has always been the source of our wealth. It should be placed in Morea, where it will be far from invaders.

Regards,

AEG

Election 17

1B 2B (Thrace) 3A 4B 5B (Morea)

Code:
Election 17

1B  3A  4A  5B

This day, I, Enrico Dandolo, son of Lawkeeper Dandolo, renew my pledge of fealty to the Serenissima Repubblica, and swear to fulfill all my duties as Senator, as well as all other duties I might be given by this prestigious assembly.

Dear and respected Senators,

Financial superiority is of the utmost importance for our Repubblica, as it is our duty to lead all italian souls to independence towards foreign rule and freedom from the tyranny of the clergy, and we should not sacrifice one for the other, nor can we set out minds once and for all : every situation is different. My father used to follow his own mind, to let his intellect decide which course of action was the more profitable to our brilliant City. A Senator should answer to no one, as much as the Senate should bow to no one, be it King or Pope, christian or heathen. So, I hereby pledge my independence towards those political parties.

As you may know, I have just left my command of the Byzantine Tagma to succeed to my regretted father. I have shared the life of the soldiers, and their sadness is great, for they believed the time of the war against Genoa had come. So, their sadness is only inches away of mutiny, for what they perceive as cowardness. We have to see to their needs, and for that we need greater influence on trade, namely on the trade of liquors and sugar. So, we need not only to rationalize the production in Crete, but also in Ionia and Morea.

I also ask the Doge to seek more intelligence on those persistent rumours about the crowns of Portugal and Castille. If this is true, they are posing as dangerous competitors, and appropriate responses should be issued.

I thank you for your attention,

Senator Enrico Dandolo

One last word : my father's last wish was that Genoa should be destroyed. I then urge you to help me fulfill his dream (which is mine too).
Genoa delenda est

1.B
2.A
3.A
4.A
5.B

The message for a vote reached me as I packed for my trip, along with some opinions from you. I fear we may regret not improving our capital with a wonderful Fine Arts Academy, but I will bow to the information from Crete.

Dear Enrico, I knew your father well. He taught me much and for that I am indebted to him. However, I would caution you to temper your feelings for Genoa. They serve you well at times and if they reflect the wisdom of your father, then they will help us. But left unchecked, they can betray you. Our time for Genoa will come, of that I am sure. There can only be one master of trade in the Med and it will be us, but there is a creeping darkness on our land that cannot be ignored. Be wise young one and join your father's aged voice in calling for action against this clear and present enemy in the east.

badoer.gif

1. B
2. A
3. C
4. A
5. A

Ooc: As Paradox have released HOI2, and as I'm playing it every waking free hour, I'll have to cut down on the roleplaying and speeches. however rest assured, I'll see to the glory of venice ;)

Finally, here it is:

1449-1453 Account:

Year 1449
-Centralization +1 (now 5)
Stability dropped by -1 to +1
-Set investments at 70% Trade, 15% Land and 15% Naval
-Recruited 2000 cav. and 2000 inf. for 84D in Hellas
-Built 4 galleys for 36D in Veneto

Important international events nearby
Hungary surrendered Transylvania to Kara Koyunlu
Hungary surrendered Serbia to Ottoman Empire
By event, Kara Koyunlu, OE & Yemen (Egypt & Ramazan dishonored) DoW Timurid Empire
Papal States cancelled MA in Tuscany
Egypt formed an alliance with Ramazan

Our diplomacy
-Tuscany surrendered Romagna to Venice and became our vassal
-sent 33D gift to Tuscany, relations improved by +48 to +58.
-sent 33D gift to Tuscany, relations improved by +59 to +152.
-Tuscany joined our military alliance
-Entered RM with Castile

Year 1450
-Sent 3 merchants for 24D: 2 succeeded and 1 failed.
Total +2 merchants
-Quelled a rebellion in Romagna
Regional heresy happened to us and we funded a suppression effort (-50D)

Portugal payed 98D to Castile for peace
Sirvan joined alliance with Kara Koyunlu, Ottoman Empire, & Yemen

Our diplomacy

Year 1451
Total +1 merchant
Our stability raised to +2
-TC built in Romagna

Bohemia became vassal of Hungary

Our diplomacy

Year 1452
-Sent 10 merchants for 83D: 6 succeeded, 4 failed and 3 were lost
Total +3 merchants
-TC built in Marche
Diplomatic insult happened to us. 6 month CB against Saxony (allied of Genoa, Provence and Friesland)
Started minting at 70% (Trade at 0%)

Ramazan became vassal of Egypt
New CoT opened in Danzing
Styria became vassal of Hungary
Switzerland became vassal of Burgundy

Our diplomacy

Year 1453
Total +1 merchant
On January, G. Loredan (naval leader 4,3,4) was commissioned.
We achieved monopoly in Danzing (75% activity)
Pretender to the throne happened to us. -50D, +3k inf. +2k cav. 60 month CB against Provence.

Wirtemberg became vassal of Tyrol

Our diplomacy

[size=+1]1453 Report (December)[/size]

1453b.jpg

Economy
Stability +2
Stability cost = 445D/level
Treasury = 425D
Inflation 4.2

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1423     7
1428     9
1433     9
1438     9
1443    11
1448    13
1453    13

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1423      46.80      37.43     6.2
1428      68.13      44.40     8.8
1433      78.78      44.14     8.8
1438      79.68      44.37     9.8
1443      80.78      55.47    12.0
1448      95.84      72.49    14.8
1453      97.74      78.34    13.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1423      12.8      3.1       9.7     0.0     25.7       -2.2
1428      16.1      3.7       8.3     0.0     28.1       -2.2
1433      16.8      3.7       7.2     0.0     27.7       -2.5
1438      16.7      3.7       7.6     0.0     28.0       -2.6
1443      17.7      4.6       7.9     0.0     30.3       -3.4
1448      20.8      6.0       6.2     0.0     33.1       -3.1
1453      21.3      6.5       9.4     0.0     37.3       -3.8

27 merchants in CoTs (+8). 6 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17-26 Rest of the world.
Trade efficiency is 55% (first nation).

National
Monarch Francesco Foscarini
Military Good (7)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Good (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33 38 43 48 53
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Centralization     3  4  -  -  -  -  -  5
Innovative         4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  4  5  -  -  -  -
Offensive          2  -  -  -  -  -  -  -
Land               2  -  3  2  -  -  1  -
Quality            6  -  7  6  7  -  6  -
Serfdom            4  -  -  -  -  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date, current investment)
Land 2 + 39% (1476, 15%)
Naval 2 + 79% (1461, 15%)
Trade 3 + 22% (1674, 0%)
Production 3 + 4% (1605, 0%)

Military

Maximum morale displayed at 50% maintenance (Not real morale): 1.75 + 0.5 - 0.02 = 2.23

Leaders:
G. Loredan (naval) 4,3,4

Army 21k infantry, 19k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% 2.8 D/month
Army support limit = 47 000 (15 000 from trade)
Cost of army units:
Infantry 14D
Cavalry 29D

Navy 7 warships, 37 galleys, 9 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 1 D/month
Navy support limit = 131
Cost of naval units:
warships 43D
Galleys 9D

Manpower = 10
Manpower pool = 20,000 (1000/month)

International

1) Standing
Cores (Permanent CB): Cyprus (Cyprus)
Allies: Naples, Tuscany
Bad Boy 7.7/37 tarnished
Permanent CB: Cyprus
Temporary CB: Provence (August 1458)

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire, Papal States.

1453c.jpg

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States -169 (Aragon +125, Navarra, Brittany)
Venice (Naples +200 MA, Tuscany +48 MA)
Genoa +99 (Provence, Saxony, Friesland)
North:
Tyrol +95 RM (Bavaria +126, Berg, Palatinate, Bayreuth, Wirtemberg +125)
Schwitzerland +140 (Burgundy -189, France +125, Scotland)
Danubian:
Austria +187 RM MA (Styria +89 RM, Savoy +125 MA, Hungary -71 RM, Bohemia +74, Denmark)
Balcan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Bosnia +88 MA
Moldava -100
Wallachia -88
OE -200 (Kara Koyunlu -199, Yemen, Sirvan)
Karaman -200
Mediterranean:
The Knights +125, (Cyprus -49 RM, Georgia, -100, Theodoros +25 RM, Albania -200)
Egypt -112, (Ramazan -112)
Black sea:

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia and Bosnia are vassals of OE
Savoy and Wirtemberg are vassals of Tyrol
Moldava is a vassal of Lithuania
Naples and Tuscany are vassals of Venice
Ramazan is a vassal of Egypt
Styria and Bohemia are vassals of Hungary
Switzerland is a vassal of Burgundy

4) Changes in our area:
Hungary lost Transylvania to Kara Koyunlu
Hungary lost Serbia to Ottoman Empire
Egypt formed an alliance with Ramazan
Bohemia became vassal of Hungary
Ramazan became vassal of Egypt
Styria became vassal of Hungary
Switzerland became vassal of Burgundy
Wirtemberg became vassal of Tyrol

I am considering the possibility of issuing the complete reports every 10 years instead of 5, to reduce the work load both to you and specially to me.

The game will still be stopped every 5 years or less, and for elections whenever a non-random decision comes up. The year by year account (summaries) will still be posted every 5 years, and the Doge and Capitano Generale reports will be posted with the same frequency as before.

All the scheduled elections have a period of 10 years (International) or more (economy, research, DPs), and for any election that requires it, specific information can be provided.

To know what you think about all this and more, I would appreciate if you would take the time to answer the following questions (this is not an election)

1A I am getting too little information on the game
1B I am getting the right amount of information on the game
1C I am getting too much information on the game

2A I would prefer to have 5-yearly reports
2B I would prefer to have 10-yearly reports

3A We have too few elections
3B We have the right number of elections
3C We have too many elections

4A The game proceeds too slowly
4B The game goes at the right speed
4C The game goes too fast

5A An election time of 4-5 days is too short
5B An election time of 4-5 days is right
5C An election time of 4-5 days is too long

6A The senate has too little control over the game
6B The senate has the right control over the game
6C The senate has too much control over the game

7A There is too much history about Venice in the AAR
7B There is the right amount of history about Venice in the AAR
7C There is too little history about Venice in the AAR

Since confidentiality cannot be achieved, you should PM me the answers. I will process them aseptically. However, if you want to discuss this openly, you are more than welcome to post your opinion on one or more of the questions here. In any case I will make the results public so we can discuss any necessary measures.

1B I am getting the right amount of information on the game
You provide with every data that is of some significance. Interesting informations concern our situation and our neighbours, we don't need to have a year by year account of the wars in Scandinavia. You could give only significant/weird events that happer far away (such as a complete destruction of the Kingdom of France), otherwise informations on a as-needed basis is good.

2A I would prefer to have 5-yearly reports
But it's just personal preferences. The big work is your's, not mine. So, if you don't get enough fun, go to 10-year reports.

3B We have the right number of elections
I think we have found our pace. Elections should only concern important matters, geo-strategical questions, and some more specific questions as you need them. I'd say the minimum is those concerning all those 10-year periods elections, otherwise it's as you see fit.

4B The game goes at the right speed
At least for now. We have covered nearly 10% of the game : that's not a short period. I don't care if this AAR lasts until next year, as long as we have fun.

5C An election time of 4-5 days is too long
3 days might be more appropriate, at least for those specific elections. OTOH, large elections, I mean those on great economic concerns (every ten years and more), should stay at 5 days.

6B The senate has the right control over the game
Again, as long as the Senate has its word on the great concerns, the rest is yours to submit to a vote. ;)

7C There is too little history about Venice in the AAR
Just personal preferences. :)

1A
2B -- just a pacing thing and my enjoyment of the game, a kind of "lets get moving and see all the fun we can have."
3B
4A -- see above (I do agree with lawkeeper's point that as long as its fun, then how long it takes finally won't matter too much, but at the same time as Usually_Insane points out, other things in our gaming lives can intrude and before long, there's only a few people involved--not that all of us have to be here for the full ride, but if it all lingers too long, you might find that you are the only one still here Fodoron.
5C
6B--though it seems that perhaps recently there has been a lot of votes and such that seem to have slowed the actual gamin process down.
7B/7C--well, I don't read AARs that much, so perhaps lawkeeper is right and I still maintain that the two threads are confusing to me, which is our history and such? I think I get the two threads, but still hard for me to really get it. MAybe you should just strike my vote here. ;)

1B Good amount of info.
2B I think we could safely play 10 yr. intervals as long as you still stop for major decisions, DoW's etc.
3B
4A I'm enjoying this a lot, and would like to have more gameplay.
5C It seems that most votes are cast in the first day or two, so three days should be enough.
6B
7B Again you're doing a great job, I'm a huge history fan and you are filling a real gap.

Cheers,

Arthur

Code:
Election 17:
1B ; 2A ; 3A ; 4A ; 5B

Delfino.gif

I am truly delighted that our discussions and votings are not related to war and revenge, finally we are heading to commercial improvements, as that is our main priority.

A Refinery in Crete will be very useful, it's a land to expand and to exploit as a door to Holy Land. Also, along with that improvement in the island, we should reinforce our fleet to a better protection to the island.

I would like to give a warm welcome to our new members, even though their arrivements are marked by the tragedy of the lost of two great men.

TG Delfino