• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
[size=+1]IMPORTANT[/size]

While playing the next period, we have experimented a change in our Domestic policies. We have had a Quantity increase (Quality decrease), and a Naval increase (Land decrease). The DP values have been corrected in the election post. Those of you that have already voted may want to consider if those changes should change your vote.

No problems, I have changed my vote. I'm just happy I got my naval increase so fast :D

The ambassador from the distant land of Belgium (located on some island in the Pacific Ocean, as of yet unheard of) states his views briefly, as he is rushing to an important meeting with the Ottoman Sultan.

Q+ (a prepared army is a strong army!) A+ A+ (need diplomacy!)

May the "Lord" be with you, oh Doge

Annex to Election 11

We have just reached Infrastructure 3, and have also Trade 3. We need to decide how to best adjust our investment to the new situation. Please vote on the following:

1A Continue investing in Infrastructure
1B Invest now in Trade

2A Continue with 100% investment in Infra/Trade
2B Invest now 70% in Infra/Trade and 30% in Military

In case 2B wins,

3A Invest double in Naval than Land
3B Invest double in Land than Naval

For example:
Annex to Election 11
1A, 2A, 3A

The limited options are a compromise until next full election.

Results:

1B (4/6 votes) We will invest now in trade (70%)
2B (6/6 votes) 30% will be invested in military
3- Tie. We will invest 15% in Land and 15% in Naval.

Last edited:
A refreshing trip to the mountains have kept me away from the meetings. I am now preparing the trial against the young Foscari.

I think we should do the following reforms in the state:

Code:
Election 11:
C+ S- M-

Annex:
1A, 2B, 3B

Senator Aureo Barbarigo

Barbarigo.gif

Code:
Annex to Election 11
1B, 2B, 3A

Seventh of July, on board the Whiteswallow ship,
off sicilian coasts, en route to Barcelona,

Fellow Senators, respected colleagues,

I entrust the captain of the merchant ship Harvest, en route to our great city, this brief missive, hoping that weather will be clement on him, and that he won't cross berber pirates.

Alas, I have to only hope that such occurances won't happen. Hope in our Lord's goodness, since I cannot entirely trust our sailors' skills.

This trip is showing me that our great, mighty Navy, which is supposed to be our first and foremost defence against our numerous enemies, is in desperate need of reforms and improvements. Despite the fact our sailors probably are the best ones on the seven seas, they are still in need of further technological advances, to be able to withstand the fight both against the elements and against the barbarians (whether they come from the east, the south, the west or the north).

Likewise, our Serenissima Repubblica is built upon the planks of our merchant ships, as is shown by my reliance on a merchant captain to bring you this letter. It is our traders that not only keep our City independent, but also make us proud of Her. We should control all the trade that comes from the east, or at least have a position of dominance. But our roving merchants face harsh competition, and we must put as much support behind them as we can.

Faithfully yours,

Senator-Ambassador Lawkeeper Dandolo

Post-scriptum : Genoa delenda est.

armes.gif
Noble Senate of the Serenissima Repubblica

I bring you the most serious matter. We are at war. We are at war not against our enemies but against our friends. We are not attacking our hated Genoa, we are not fighting the infidels for the glory of God. We are at war against our italian brothers.

My lords, we have been fouled by Cosimo de Medici. While we were showering him with gifts for mutual friendship, and just recently arranged a new Royal Marriage between the Barbarigo family and the Medicis, he was conspiring against us.

My lords, Cosimo de Medici and Alfons d'Aragona have formed a League with the blessings of the Pope to attack our alliance. Cosimo must have thought that with such strength he would be able to annex Modena and that Venice would not enter into a war against the rest of Italy and Aragon to defend our ally. On the 13th of July 1445, Tuscany declared war to Modena. Tuscany is supported by her allies, Aragon, Navarra, Papal states, Naples and Brittany.

1445.jpg

Leonello d'Este immediately realized the danger and asked for our assistance. Our Doge, as worried as he is for his son's trial, spent an entire sleepless night in reunion with the Dogal Council, the military advisors and me, considering where Venice's best interest lays.

Finally Doge Francesco Foscari decided to assist our friend and ally Leonello despite the severe cost in stability (-3) and the disparity of forces involved. A messenger was sent to the Estesi Castle in Bologna to tell Leonello he will not fight alone, while fast couriers are sent to the Aegean to call our armies in Thrace, Hellas and Ionia to the war in Italy. Our ambassador in Florence delivered Medici our declaration of war, causing the immediate break up of our royal marriages to Tuscany, Aragon and Naples.

1445b.jpg

All military operations have been put under my command. I have ordered a levy of 2000 cavalry in Veneto to strengthen the Veneto regiment. While the Veneto regiment is kept as reserve forces, the Thrace, Ionia and Hellas regiments will be sent to fight our yesterday friends and now enemies.

Let's hope for the best. Your servant,

Capitano Generale della gente di terra Fodoroni

- Count Moro, addressing the people outside the Senate, just after the message of the Capitano Generale Fodoron (just the conclusion of the speech) -

... Thus, let the Florentine youth's blood flow from the plains of Emilia down to our beloved Adriatic Sea! The Medicis have shown one more time their untrustworthiness and the Pope doesn't leave an occasion to enlarge its possessions. Rise Venice, show to the World your strenght and loyalty to a dear friend assaulted by a group of traitors!

Dolfino.gif

Dear Fellow members of the Honorable Senate
Most Dearest Doge

I Apologize for my very long absence of my duties in this Senate, but family business abroad kept me really busy. But I'm more than willing to return to my duties and responsabilities to you colleagues and to the rest of the people of our Glorious Republic.

First I will try to get an update of the situation of our country by reading the reports and old agendas of the Senate, and then I will assume again my seat by voting and discussing with the rest of you.

Also I would like to congratulate our Commander Fodoron for our recent success, that let me tell you, those are been well known in the rest of the Continent.

Thank you and hoping to continue the good efforts to give our country the Glory that desserves

Senator TG Delfino

Annex to Election 11

1 A, 2 B, 3 B

Fellow Senators,

This is a betrayal beyond measure. We must make the Medici scum and their minions know they cannot trifle with our friends and allies.

I move that we persue this war with great vigor and seek to vassalize Tuscany and Naples, and gain provinces and vassalize the Papacy.

Respectfully,

Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi

Captain General Fodoron,

How goes the war? We anxiously await word.

Your servant,

Senator Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi

armes.gif
My lords, senators,

The war has been won. Medici has been defeated, and Leonello d'Este avenged. War has been concluded on January 1449, and we have gained the ownership of Romagna and Marche. Cossimo de Medici, the elder, is now our vassal, and Alfonso I Trastamara, king of Naples is also our vassal and ally.

The poor performance of our mercenary armies, in sharp contrast with the great achievements of our fleets, has prompted the High Council to concentrate our efforts in the navy. We have become an entrenched maritime republic.

1446c.jpg

Look for a more detailed account of the war in the High Council meetings at the "Il Senato della Republica Venetiana".

A detailed report on the current situation, together with new eletions will be posted as soon as the Doge recovers himself from the tragedy of his son's trial.

Captain General Fodoroni.
Venice January 1449.

Election 12 is closed. The results for the DP changes in the next 30 years are:
1449 C+ (6/8 votes)
1459 Q+ (4/8 votes)
1469 S- (4/8 votes)

the tie was resolved by preeminence given to Q+ in more ballots.

1444-1448 Account:

Year 1444
-Sent 4 merchants for 30D: 2 succeeded, 2 failed, and 2 were lost.
Total +0 merchant
Diplomatic move happened to us

Important international events nearby
Genoa entered alliance with Provence
Poland, Lithuania & Masovia DoW Bohemia, Austria, Styria, Savoy, Hungary
Mehmed II rose to the throne in OE.
Interregnum rose to the throne in Hungary

Our diplomacy
-Renewed RM with Modena
-Renewed RM with Tuscany

Year 1445
-Sent 5 merchants for 28D: 3 succeeded, 2 failed, and 3 were lost.
Total +0 merchant
Our stability increased to +3
Our stability plunged to +0

Regency rose to the throne in Hungary
Tuscany, Aragon, Navarra, Papal States, Naples & Brittany DoW Modena & Venice
Saxony joined alliance with Provence and Genoa
Denmark joined alliance with Austria, Styria, Savoy, Hungary & Bohemia

Our diplomacy
We broke our RM to Tuscany, Aragon & Naples

Year 1446
3 merchants were lost.
Total -3 merchant
An entrenched maritime republic happened to us

Tyrol, Bavaria, Berg, Palatinate, Bayreuth & Wirtemberg DoW Switzerland, Burgundy, France, Scotland & Cleves
Modena was annexed by Tuscany
Murad II rose to the throne in OE

Our diplomacy
Naples became our vassal

Year 1447
3 merchants were lost.
Total -3 merchant
We declined in Cessation of church functions to nobility
Our infrastructure was improved to Late Renaissance (3). We can now build Refineries.

Our diplomacy
-Renewed RM with Styria
-Renewed RM with Austria
-Renewed RM with Tyrol
We gained Marche from Papal States

Year 1448
3 merchants were lost.
Total -3 merchant
Our stability raised to +1
Our stability raised to +2

Switzerland lost Schwyz to Tyrol
Tyrol has cancelled MA they had in Tuscany

Our diplomacy
-Renewed RM with Switzerland

Short term diplomacy

Fellow Senators and Captain General Fodoron,

Our most recent war shows the peril of being without strong allies. Weakness only encourages such unprovoked attacks.

Let me second that we MUST get Tuscany into our alliance, so it, and Naples can be annexed in the near future.

Secondly, are there any potential allies available?

Respectfully,

Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi

Senator Delfino
Dolfino.gif

Dear Senators and Honorable Doge

I'm writing in concern of the recent events after our "victorious" war against the League commanded by the Medici. Mainly is because I've heard about the serious dense atmosphere that is perceived in the rest of the countries of the mediterranean sea for the final outcome of that (if you may allow me the term) disastrous war; and you may wonder why I use that term, but is the one that I found more describing because the relations with many countries that we, the Senate, the voice of Venice, find as our "friends". We must rebuild those relationships based entirely now, as our Doge have drag us, to protect our magnified nation.

At least we should aim to join our other vassal to our alliance, and that way we can enclosure the Pope to "dissuade" him to enter another war against us. That's my request, rebuild our reputation to prevent more wars.

TG Delfino

Cornaro_G.gif

Oh the complaining! We are attacked viciously from the West by that coward and schemer DiMedici; we conquer powerfully, in some cases with inferior infantry forces; we force not one, but TWO vassals and weaken a powerful nearby alliance.

Well done I say. Well done!

Some of you complain of Aragon refusing our overtures. As it been so long in war for you? Shall we recruit you and send YOU to the battlefront? When have your ancestors led a valiant military and diplomatic endeavor and had complete compliance from your enemies? Perhaps Aragon did not want to war with us, given our good relations, but they declared war nonetheless. My ancient records of my own families small attempts in matter such as these have ALSO seen Royal Marriages be of no use and have seen kissing cousins holding the knife still dripping in blood. Ha! I say. I'm glad we did not waste 50d on Aragon. Perhaps we should ask Lawkeeper Dandolo why he failed. Or perhaps we should honor him with reward for NOT giving away our money. And who among you has faced 4 or 5 enemies at once and achieved vassel status from more than 1 enemy? Our Doge was more aggressive than I might have been and it is on the fortitude of leaders like Fodoroni that our Republic has already achieved much.

Let's stop wasting time looking backward. Though not where I would have spent our energy, the war in Italy has opened an unforeseen door. We have entered with might and none there will forget us. Certainly it is again in our best interest to attempt to make good relations with Aragon, but they should also perhaps seek our hand. If they are wise, they will see that we are a force of the future to be feared!

And yes, let us move as quickly as possible to take our other vassel into our alliance lest our enemy Tyrol strike and grow stronger. I fear them in our future. We should NOT waste time now in the Alps while the infidel remains on our plains.

Well done I say, well done! Now, don't rest too long on laurels. And always look to the South. For there lies our future, to hold the crossing from the infidel, to cleanse Europe of this plague and secure the Eastern Med for us, our traders and merchants, and US ALONE!

Annex to Election 11
1B, 2B, 3A