• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Fellow Senators,
we have an unique chance. Genoa has no allies, and we could easiliy get military access through Savoy with our current good relations with them. Then we can advance along the Po, cross Modena and attack them from Emilia. If we concentrate our fleet in the Bosporos we can both repell the Genoese and the Ottomans. Of course we need to gather intelligence to see how big armies they field, since too large forces in Kerch and Liguria will make an attack very difficult.
I cannot understand how anyone can contemplate cooperation with our old enemies Genoa, with their skilled merchants and with them controlling two centers of trade, both the one in their home city and in Kerch!
Respectfully,
Aureo Barbarigo

Esteemed Secretary, noble Senators,

My gratitude for the detailed report on the conditon of our trade. We know that trade is the life and blood of our peace-loving Republic, and I encourage the Secretary to continue his excellent efforts. I would like, however, to inquire wheter the honorable Secretary has specific information regarding the success of our trade in different areas.
While in general we want our trade network to be as extensive as possible, we wonder if trade is equally profitable in all regions, or whether certain markets hold more promise for expansion. And especially whether in some commercial centers competion may be too stifling. We would then recommend to abandon efforts in the latter until our finances are more secure.

In particular, we would like to receive assurance that enough gold is kept in our coffers for emergencies and that our army and navy are likewise large enough, before we venture into sponsorig these merchants. We should also receive assurance that these funds are not wasted when turmoil within our own walls (stab < +2) might prevent our merchants from dutifully fulfill their contactual obligations. All of you know that I say this in the interest of our Republic, rather than that of my own family , that has somewhat benefited from these sponsorships.

With respect to Genova, we must all remeber that between us there has been no more than a truce for over one hundred years. Thier commercial competion can spell our ruin, if left unchecked. If senator Brabarigo (Norrefeldt)'s claims are correct, that Genova is diplomatically isolated, we should charge our informants to find out their military strength. To prevent treachery, I also suggest we send ships commanded by some of the senators, in disguise, to Genova and Kerch. Then we might discuss the issue.

I fear, alas, that their forces might be too large, which is why this stalemate has so lasted and must still. Perhaps a good chance will not present itself until that nest of snakes has been humbled by some greater powers than ourselves.

Gabriele Mocenigo

Fellow Senators,

Do we even have a casus belli against Genoa? If not, are my colleagues proposing an unprovoked attack against a fellow Christian nation, which will cost us much stability and international prestige. Then we must launch two assaults from the sea, in the face of what is likely a strong Genoese navy, with able leaders. All to gain a small trading center that will be difficult to protect. I can not understand it, unless personal enrichment is the aim.

Our goals should be driving the Germans and french out of Italy, and pushing the Turks out of all Christian lands.

Respectfully,

Senator Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi

Senator Gandolfi,
you overestimate the danger and underestimate the potential of a center of trade. First, Liguria will of course not be attacked from the sea, as I have described. Secondly, any Genoese fleet will be stopped from entering the Black Sea in the Bosporos, our home waters. If any of these provinces are guarded by too strong forces we have to wait and reconsider this plan, I agree.
The crusades are a thing of the past and I see no reason why we should try to rule a whole lot of Slavs, that hate us as much as the Turks do. We have to be pragmatic, once the Ottomans are cut down they no longer pose a threat. After that there is no sound commercial interest in pursuing them them all the way back to where they came from. We should look for the richest possible targets for Venice, and a christian Greek center of trade is just that. We have to secure it before the Golden Horde or a any other strong Tatar power take it. Then it will be very costly to conquer it.

Senator Gandolfi, don't pretend to be against fighting against fellow Christians, you yourself have put up Tyrol and Savoy- our close friend! -as our next targets.
Respectfully,
Aureo Barbarigo

Last edited:
Noble Inquisitors,
It is time the Supremo Terribile Tribunale makes its decision known so we can continue with the advancement of this Serenissima Repubblica.
Since nero inquisitor Hastu Moro has been temporarily absent, I will ask that senator Gabriele Mocenigo (previously known as Carmagnola) takes his place.
The inquisitors must provide their decision on the following charges:
Against doge Francesco Foscari, he is accused of:
-Use of excessive authority in the declaration of war to the Duchy of Milan.
-Conjointment with count Carmagnola in directing the foreign policies of the Repubblica without senate consultation.
-Unwise use of public funds to support fool trade policies.
If declared guilty, the penalty would go from being reprimanded to ask for his resignation.
Against count Carmagnola, he is accused of:
-Corresponding with the Repubblica enemies.
-Acting in war against the interest of the Repubblica.
If declared guilty, the penalty would be of death, and the senate would have to ratify it.

Doge Foscari has already entered his alegations about the issues surrounding the war declaration to Milan, and his trade decisions. Senator Mocenigo has entered his defense of count Carmagnola. The accusations are known to all.

I will ask noble senators to take a decision on count Carmagnola's issue by tomorrow.

On other issues by this consiglio, the international policies for the next period had been set. Please refer to election 9 for the results. On requests, the situation on the Black sea area will be included from the next report (1433).

cornaro%20crest.jpg

Hear hear---Let us hear the final result and get on with the business of our lives [SIZE=-2]and our game[/SIZE] :p

it is impossible for our family's business to be enjoyed while we have this lingering doubt over our heads. I have already spoken on this issue and know that the Doge is innocent of everything except a love for the greatness that is our Republic.

Let us move on.

The judgement of the Supremo Terribile Tribunale

Hear ye the pronouncement of Gabriele Mocenigo, Il Nero Inquisitore

Preamble: While the prosperous exercise of the of the business of government requires that internal divisions be kept to a minimum, all senators of the ancient city of Rome remained ever watchful against one man acquiring too much influence and power, lest their republican government be turned into a monarchic rule. History teaches that when that watchfullness gave way to complacency and the sole pursuit of riches in that glorious city, tyrants rose in might amidst much blood. If we are not to let that happen to our own Republic we must tolerate civil discord to avoid civil war.

After gathering proofs and hearing testimonies, we cannot ignore that dangereous and despotic tendencies have demonstrated themselves in our civil and military administrators. Yet, because of the senators' watchfulness they have not had the opportunity to grow into more serious threats. Therefore:

In the name of St. Mark,​

Judgement: I find Doge Francesco Foscari guilty of overextending his authority in declaring war without the consent of Senate. On the counts of conspiracy with Carmagnola, and of misuse of public funds to suport trading policies, no sufficient evidence could be found to my satisfaction.

Though the penalty is to be decided solely by il Rosso Inquisitore, I ask that the Doge be reprimanded for his conduct and that, as a retribution for endangering our Republic, his estates west of Padua be confiscated.

I find count Carmagnola innocent of all charges, and ask the Senate that he be acquitted and a 100 D compensation be paid to him for the slander on his person, so that we may retain his services.

Il Nero of the Supremo Terribile Tribunale has spoken.

EDIT: Sp.

Last edited:
The judgement of the Supremo Terribile Tribunale

Hear ye the pronouncement of Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi, Il Nero Inquisitore

We are all committed to the principles of the Republic, and none of us wants to see and undue concentration of power. However, there will be times when the Doge must act decisively to safeguard the Republic. If the Doge has no lattitude, why have a Doge in the first place. The war againsr Milan had a just casus belli, and our claim on Mantua was internationally recognized. Furthermore, the Senate had indicated a desire to seek war with Milan. Therefore,

In the name of St. Mark,​

Judgement: I find Doge Francesco Foscari innocent of all charges against him.

In the conduct of the Milanese war, and the subsequent liberation of Constantinople, our general Carmagnola acted against the interests of our Republic, and corresponded with our enemies.

Judgement: I find Count Carmagnola guilty.

Carmagnola Event: Option A

May God have mercy on his soul.

Il Nero of the Supremo Terribile Tribunale has spoken.

Norrefeldt said:

Senator Gandolfi, don't pretend to be against fighting against fellow Christians, you yourself have put up Tyrol and Savoy- our close friend! -as our next targets.
Respectfully,
Aureo Barbarigo

Senator Norrefeldt and respected Senators,

I am not against fighting other Christians when our cause is just. But we have no casus belli against Genoa, and no reasonable claim on Kerch.

This war, even if succesful, will bring infamy to us. If some day, the Genoese are foolish enought to attack us, and the military situation permits, we can take Kerch, or even vassalize Genoa instead. But now is not the time.

War against the Turks is not an option, but an inevitability. They will attack us to try and gain Constantinople, and we must be ready. This foolish venture to the Black Sea could destroy our army and leave us vulnerable.

When they attack us, we should seize their European holdings to give us a secure land route to Constantinople, and avoid facing them on two fronts.

Then our navy alone would be able to defend us against the Turks, freeing our army for more agressive action.

Let us not jeopardize the safety of the Republic to enrich a few merchants who have business in the Black Sea.

Respectfully,

[murmurings from the peanut gallery reported in the Venetian Times]

ooh, this is getting good! First Inquisitor Gabriele Mocenigo, Il Nero Inquisitore spoke and pronounced his findings of a minor(?--just how big are those estatest) slap on the wrist of the Doge. And complete innocence of the General (who some report to actually be family related good old Gabby).

THEN, woo-hoo, Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi, Il Nero Inquisitore #2 piped in with his findings that the Doge was innocent while Carmagnola was guilty.

Yikes, man does this put the major pressure on the Primo Inquisitor Il Rosso. Rumor has it that he's really from somewhere in northern Germany, so perhaps that will influence his feelings about General Carmagnola, also an outsider.

Ooh, we can't wait for the outcome!!!!

:rofl: :p :rofl:

The trial of Carmagnola is finished. He has been executed. I must say that despite being a tragedy, I have had a lot of fun. I have taken the liberty of editing the trial into a single post for the "Il Senato..." AAR, and for that I had to introduce some editing in your posts. Check what your character says and if you want to introduce any changes, just PM me with the changes that you want made and I'll do it. If you want to add anything, just post it. It will be good to have more posts there. Lawkeeper, I would like to add your final judgement. Please PM it to me so I can add it to the post instead of the last phrase that I made up.

[size=+1]1433 Report (December)[/size]

1433.jpg

Economy
Stability +3
Treasury = 322D

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1423     7
1428     9
1433     9

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1423      46.80      37.43     6.2
1428      68.13      44.40     8.8
1433      78.78      44.14     8.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1423      12.8      3.1       9.7     0.0     25.7       -2.2
1428      16.1      3.7       8.3     0.0     28.1       -2.2
1433      16.8      3.7       7.2     0.0     27.7       -2.5

22 merchants in CoTs (-3). 5 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-7 in Italy, 7-8 in Europe, 17 in Alexandria.
Trade efficiency is 54% (first nation).

National
Monarch Francesco Foscarini
Military Good (7)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28 33
Aristocracy        4  -  -  -
Centralization     3  4  -  -
Innovative         4  -  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  -  -
Offensive          2  -  -  -
Land               2  -  3  2
Quality            6  -  7  6
Serfdom            4  -  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date)
Land 1 + 83% (1437)
Naval 2 + 32% (1466)
Trade 3 + 5% (1672)
Production 2 + 44% (1449)

Military

Maximum morale is 1.6 + 1 - 0.02 = 2.58

Leaders:
None

Army 12k infantry, 12k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% 1.7 D/month
Navy 5 warships, 35 galleys, 5 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 0.8 D/month

Cost of army units:
Infantry 13D
Cavalry 27D

Cost of naval units:
warships 45D
Galleys 10D

Manpower = 7
Manpower pool = 14 (1/month)
Army support limit = 34 000 (13 000 from trade)
Navy support limit = 92

International

1) Standing
Cores (Permanent CB):
Athens (Morea & Hellas), Cyprus (Cyprus)
Allies: Athens, Modena, Bosnia
Bad Boy 6.7/36 slightly tarnished

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Hungary, Ottoman Empire.

1433b.jpg

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States +16 (Aragon +125, Tuscany +152 RM, MA)
Venice (Modena +200 RM, MA (Athens +183 MA, Bosnia +139 RM MA)
Genoa +35 (Provence, Brittany, Cologne)
Naples +165 RM MA (Bavaria +125, Palatinate, Wirtemberg +125, Luxembourg)
North:
Tyrol -16 RM (Austria +170 RM MA, Styria +87 RM, Savoy +125 MA)
Schwitzerland +125 RM (Saxony, Hesse, Hannover)
Danubian:
Hungary -113 RM, (Teutonic Order, Livonian Order)
Balcan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Albania -81
Wallachia -79
Moldava -89
OE -164 (Egypt -65, Kara Koyunlu -110)
Karaman -125
Mediterranean:
The Knights +120, (Cyprus -43 RM, Georgia, -89, Theodoros -51 RM)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia, Albania, and Karaman are vassals of OE
Athens is a vassal of Venice
Savoy is a vassal of Tyrol
Moldava is a vassal of Lithuania

4) Changes in our area:
Bosnia entered an alliance with us

Last edited:
1434-1438 Account:

Year 1434
-Sent 4 merchants for 26D: 2 succeeded, 2 failed, and 3 were lost.
Total -1 merchant
-Recruited 1000 cav. for 27D in Veneto.
On January, General Gattamelata (land leader 3,4,4) showed up in Thrace.
On April, Military advisor happened to us. We chose to hire him (-100D, monarch MIL +4 for 60 months, Quality +1, relationship with Palatinate -25)

Important international events nearby

Our diplomacy

Year 1435
-Sent 5 merchants for 40D: 2 succeeded, 3 failed, and 2 were lost.
Total +0 merchant

Naples became vassal of Provence, breaking their RM with us
Bosnia became vassal of Ottoman empire, breaking their alliance and RM to us.
Nerio II rose to the throne of Athens (good monarch)

Our diplomacy

Year 1436
-Sent 7 merchants for 47D: 2 succeeded, 5 failed, and 1 was lost.
Total +1 merchant
Land level 2 was achieved on September

Our diplomacy

Year 1437
-Sent 5 merchants for 34D: 2 succeeded, 3 failed, and 1 was lost.
Total +1 merchant
Regional heresy happened to us and we paid 50D

Albrecht of Hapsburg elected as king of Hungary and Bohemia in December (Bohemia becomes catholic)
Hungary joined the Austrian alliance.

Our diplomacy

Year 1438
-Sent 5 merchants for 26D: 1 succeeded, 4 failed, and 2 were lost.
Total -1 merchant

Austria, Styria, Tyrol, Savoy & Hungary DoW to Bohemia
In February Bohemia became a vassal of Austria and joined her alliance by event, yet the war continued (First time I see an alliance at war with itself)

Our diplomacy

Last edited:
1435 Doge Francesco Foscari's state of the Republic address.

Most noble senators,

The information for the period between 1432-1435 has been posted, both in the Summaries and in the Dec. 1433 Report above. But as every Christmas I am giving the state of the Republic speech.

After the terrible trial of Carmagnola, we have had a quiet period of four years, slowly advancing the policies decided by the senate. As suggested by senator Barbarigo, we obtained military access from Savoy, and we continued also arranging marriages for young members of our noble houses in the interest of the Republic. We entered royal marriages with Theodoros, Naples, Bosnia and Hungary.

On 1433 the Black Sheep turks declared war to the Timur empire, and although the muslims in their alliance joined the war, the christians dishonored. Albania, being a vassal of the Ottomans and with bad relationship with us, did not matter, but we offered Bosnia to join our alliance, and they accepted. Soon they granted us military access, and Naples did the same.

On 1434 we promoted condottiero Gattamelata (3,4,4) as general of our army in Thrace. That year we also received the offer of hiring away a military advisor from Palatinate. In our prevision, we had sufficient funds, and despite his steep price (100D), we did hire him because we figured that his military prowess (+4 MIL for 60 months) would pay in military research an estimated 240D in the 5 year period. He will also raise the quality of our army, a valuable asset difficult to quantify, and we didn't care about Palatinate reaction (-25 relationship).
1434.jpg

But on 1435, our diplomatic efforts were dwarfed by events. First, the Queen of Naples died without heir, and the government decided to offer the crown to René d'Anjou, Duke of Anjou, Count of Provence and now King of Naples. He decided to rule Provence and Naples as separate countries. Naples became a vassal of Provence, breaking their RM to us. It could have been worse, and they could have been annexed by Aragon.

Then, Stjepan Tvrko II, former king of Bosnia, was able to recover his throne with the help of Murad II of the turks. Murad II appointed Turkish military leaders to "defend and ensure peace" in Bosnia, tightening his grip on the country. Our royal marriage to former king Radivoj stopped being royal, and Bosnia left our alliance and became a vassal of the Ottoman empire.
1435.jpg

Finally, upon request from senator Barbarigo, and on account of the five galleys that he generously provided recently to our navy, I ordered our Capitano Generale Fodoroni to conduct an investigation into the military affairs of our rival Genoa. He will present his report to you in person.

Serene Doge, Noble senators,

I have been ordered to use any military means to gather intelligence about the state of Genoa, and in particular of their colony in Kerch. As was reported in 1430, on that year Genoa declared war to Georgia and proceed to invade Azov from Kerch. Although Genoa was able to conquer Azov, the reaction of Georgia and her allies Theodoros and the Knights finally tilted the scales in their favor, and when Kerch was conquered by Georgia in 1433, Genoa had to pay 114D to end the war.

I periodically sent scouts to Kerch, and soon saw that the situation of lack of garrison that the war had provoked, was being used by some greek nobles to raise in rebellion. By 1435 the rebels had taken control of Kerch and gone away, but Kerch was under naval blockade and no genoese troops were disembarked. I then ordered 2000 cavalry to move to Emilia using our military access from Modena and Savoy. From Emilia, our forces were able to recover information from our spies in Liguria. The situation as of December 1435 is that Kerch is still in rebel hands with no genoese troops, Liguria is also devoid of troops, and a genoese fleet of 16 ships is moving through the Aegean towards the Mediterranean. Whatever troops they have must be in Corsica.
1435b.jpg

As Capitano Generale, I can say that it is militarily feasible to attack Genoa in three or four months, before the genoese can transport their troops. By then we could have 7000 men under command of Gattamelata ready to land in Kerch, and a similar army ready to invade Liguria from Emilia. More troops will have to be raised, since Liguria already has a level two fortress, and it is not advisable to weaken our garrison in the Aegean colonies too much. Although I cannot guarantee the success, it does not appear to be an operation beyond our means. Thank you for your attention.

Noble senators, my friends,

We have heard the military report by our good Fodoroni. I would be a lousy doge if I let optimism carry us too far. We all know the advantages that such operation would report us. The possession of a well placed province and center of trade worth over a hundred ducats a year (60D in tariffs alone). We must also be well aware of the disadvantages. First, the lack of casus belli and the attack on a fellow christian would cause a great loss of stability (-3). The cost of such instability would be big. We might lose most of our merchant network and it can take us several hundred ducats and years to rebuild it with most of our trade revenue lost over that time. Since stability is an expensive issue in our mixed religion nation, we might be forced to invest heavily in stability for several years, losing many hundreds of ducats worth of valuable research and delaying our progress. Moreover, the rest of the nations would not look kindly upon that unjustified aggression (we would increase 6 BB points) and it would tarnish our reputation for many years to come. Finally it would open a new theater of operations in the shores of the Black sea with potential new enemies, like Georgia, Theodoros and the Golden Horde, while stretching our forces even further. I will not call an election on this issue unless the intervention has several supporters.

Respected Senators, revered Doge Francesco Foscarini,
After having seen the reluctance among you to seize this opportunity in the Black Sea, and presented the good circumstances I saw on my strenuous trip, I propose an alternative for you. I have seen, and heard from people trading in Theodoros, of the lack of leadership of the rebels in Kerch. It has made me think they are not able to appoint a leader among themselves. I beleive they will seek safety, and amnesty for their deeds against the Genoese merchants in Kerch, in one of the nearby kingdoms. In a very near future we could see Kerch in the hands of Theodoros, Georgia or the Golden Horde. While they likely are more formidable opponents than the thinly spread Genoese, we can attack them without suffering so much in international prestige. I suggest we don't rush and attack Genoa just now, since the fat prize of Kerch might soon be easily taken from someone else. The extra cost in taking it from these Black Sea nations is probably worth it compared to the trade losses an unprovoked attack against Genoa would cause.

With respect,
Senator Aureo Barbarigo.

The badboy would be 6, but the stab cost one less, -2.

Last edited:
Respected Senators and Honorable Doge,

Many thanks to Captain General Fodoron for a most excellent series of reports.

I am worried by the continued absence of Senator Lawkeeper Dandolo from the Senate. His prolonged absence is unprecedented. I hope he is well.

As to the matter of Kerch. I think at this point the cost to our reputation is too great. +6 BB would put us at 12+ and risk many enemies attacking us.

I support waiting till we are attacked to conquer additional lands, and to focus on diplomatic means of expanding our republic. Perhaps we can diplo-vassalize Modena. Also we should be opportunistic in adding allies. Do any of our neighboring alliances expire soon?

Respectfully,

cornaro%20crest.jpg

I see no reason why we should rush to a location so far away. It has always been my family's feelings that, except for islands like Cyprus, we should focus on building connected lands.

True, I did vigorously encourage us to move on the Ancient Capital, however, that was with a long-term view to a future, larger Venetian empire. Once we graciously allow those in Athenia to join us, we will control all of the lands in that area and we can begin to seek for ways to link the two land masses.

However, Kerch is so very far away from us now that I cannot see any good reason why to become embroiled in that area, yet. I can imagine a far distant time when our grandsons are debating these facts and at that time, perhaps our efforts today will have allowed us to move further east.

But not for now.

We still face a strong and great enemy in the Turks and we should not ignore them. They still hold land in Europe that we should seek for chances to move on. But, let us wait for now, growing and stabilizing our country. Often, it is the one who moves steadily, if perhaps slowly for a while, who, in the end, reaches the prize soonest.

On lawkeeper, I fear foulplay of some sort. There are rumors of viruses that can be spread by ancient trojan horses, yes like those spoken of by the great Homer, which can inflict and cause massive damage. I wonder if perhaps the family of the traitor general is the cause? Perhaps a missive has been sent to our dear friend and has rashly opened said note without protection, guidance? Hopefully we will hear from him soon.

And what of the others? For too long it has appeared that our numbers have dwindled in the Senate. Have we lost voices of import? Are our numbers too low for strong business? I don't want the Doge to merely act independantly of us, yet I don't want him to be forced to wait and wait and wait upon others to return.

Fear not, my friend Carlo Cornaro,

This Republic is based in solid principles, and the dogal authority is kept under close scrutiny. Perhaps our friendly readers are intimidated by the level of enthusiasm that this noble enterprise generates on us. Let me once more open the doors of our senate:

[size=+1]
Everybody is invited to participate in this AAR​
[/size]

There is no compromise, you can post just your opinion as in any other AAR, or vote in one election if it happens to be one opened. You don't have to take character or roleplay to participate, but you can do it if it pleases you, without any future compromise. I you are liking it and would care to say it, we do very much want to hear. This senate is open to anyone even if you will post just once. We want to have more voices to validate our democratic claim. If you posted in the past, we will be happy to hear back from you. And if you don't like it, by all means tell us and we will try to improve it.

Near elections are:
1438 International policies
1444 Investments
1448 Domestic policies

stemmapavimento.jpg

My fellow senators,

It is with a heavy heart that I speak before you today, after the tragic sentencing of Count Carmagnola, of which we are all responsible. May God forgive my weakness in defending his life from injustice.

News of this impious act are certainly spreading quickly to the other courts, so that we may not add further scorn towards our Republic by attacking Genova in a war that, though justified, would not be generally looked upon with favor. The Genoese are cunning, and many courts are in the debt of their bankers, so that most have forgotten the cruel and vile deeds we suffered at their hands. We must bid our time carefully.

Let us turn again our attention to the Turkish menace. I strongly second senator Barabarigo's opinion that we should not try and acquire more slavic subjects. Their lands are poor and would hardly pay for their own defense. With our strong navy we need not necessarily seek a land continuity between our domains. Rather, we must look ahead to other dangers and other ways to weaken the enemy. The Sultan sleeps not. In fact, my factors in Alexandria tell me that there are rumors of preparations by those godless heathens to take over Egypt. Egypt, my respected senators! What would happen to our trade monopoly with the indies if the turks should take it over.
Yes, these are just rumors, but I do not think they are unfounded. It may not happen tomorrow; it may not even happen for an entire generation, but we must strengthen ourselves and prepare for that event. I foresee our crucial struggle against the Turks will happen in Egypt, not in the Balkans.

We should look into securing Alexandria and access to the Red Sea, while subtracting it from the Turks. Not now, of course, but he who starts preparing sooner is best prepared.

Gabriele Mocenigo

Carlec said:
On lawkeeper, I fear foulplay of some sort. There are rumors of viruses that can be spread by ancient trojan horses, yes like those spoken of by the great Homer, which can inflict and cause massive damage
:rofl: