• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
While I cannot express anger at our good effort and fortune against Milan and wait expectantly for the day some years hence when those wonderful Italian lands join our Republic, I do share my frustration at spreading ourselves so thin.

Our excellent Fodoron has dutifully reported how thin our budget is; we all knew this or have you not studied the financial reports? To think we could be at war for any long protracted time is madness. Now, we are in more danger. Should the Turk establish their capitol on the European side of the Straights, our history may indeed be short.

We must also see the great need to expend funds to raise our relationship with our vassel. While I don't feel excited about giving money to Milan, the worse thing would be for her to be attacked by another enemy while not yet in our alliance. We know that having been recently defeated, she will not easily join us, but join us she must! We must protect what we have won.

Thus, I fear sending our army down to the Straights. I am torn. I don't want us to take a loan, but we must bring Milan in swiftly. I don't want to see Constantinople fall, but we barely have enough money to pay our current bills.

Ah, the shortsightedness--Milan would have been there 30-60 years hence; Byzantium not so.

I will take my seat and wait to listen to wiser voices. We cannot extend ourselves financially. We cannot allow Milan to fall to other wolves. We cannot allow the Ancient City to fall. Can we afford to do all three? Others, please speak. I listen willingly.

Alas, what our most beloved, and deceased, Doge Tommaso Mocenigo had foreseen, has happened. A war in Italy would be our doom, he said, and the war with Milan risks to be our doom. Alas, thrice alas.
The Jewel of the East has fallen, and the Jewel of the West, our most beloved city, will be next if we don't find in our souls the extraordinary courage to face adversity. The end of the Byzantine Empire was even closer than I thought, yet the enemy was different. Different yes, but the same althogether : hated muslims, believers of the Crescent, Mahometans, Turks yet not Osmanlis.
While we were discussing and discoursing, the battle reached the walls of Constantinople. All our speeches and votes have been voiced in vain, because the end of the Eastern Roman Empire has come. I may have resented the acts of the greeks, yet I don't wish them what has happened : a foreign and heretic domination. They are christians, after all. To let them in the hands of the muslims is to show cowardy. To free them, would show mercy, and would help to bring them back to the true path, at least for religious matters, of allegiance to Rome, to God's Vicar.

Powerful Doge, honorable Consiglieri, respected Senators, noble Citizens, brave Warriors, friends : the time has come to face the east, to not only hold our grounds but to reconquer what has been lost, before it is forgotten. Let us heal the wounds that stand between us and Visconti, let us turn to the seas, throw in the balance anything that has some value, because we have to make it sway in our favor. Alas, war is upon us, war is needed, but it is a just war, it is a CRUSADE.

Count Carmagnola wanted to make the war last longer ? So be it, he got his reward : he will lead our troops on the front lines. Let us hope he won't grieve the few numbers of them.

On his way out of the Senate, the Senator is followed by his secretary.
My faithful Parmeno, hold your quill, and write down, because I have a high number of letters to send and instructions to give.
First, to my sons, to make them stay longer at Barcelona and in Champagne, under the cover of trade negociations - I don't want to lose them in that war.
Second, to the representatives in all the ports of the Eastern Mediterranean : they have to strengthen their ties to the local potentates, to prevent any bad feeling on the part of our trading friends.
Third, as taxes will probably be raised, I have to instruct my bankers to send my funds to another place. Those Helvetians, who have shoved the Habsburgs out of their original craddle, you know those upstart nobles who are struggling in Upper and Lower Austria - ha! they'll never manage to achieve anything, all those fights among their own family -, those Helvetians are probably a secure place to hid my riches.
Fourth, I need to send some envoys to Innsbruck, to bring loads of iron, because something tells me that mineral will have its value increased with the foreseen melting of numerous weapons.
A war, or a crusade that's the same, is one thing, but trade and wealth is another one.

Election 8
1F, 2O, 3O, 4A, 5O, 6O, 7A

Byzantium will not survive by herself, even with our generous support. We should protect her by temporarily incorporating her in Venice - a fate I know many should envy.
Of course, when we think she is strong enough to handle herself we may let her try her wings once again. As I said, I believe that will be around January 1, 1820.

If we do not dare take that bold step, we should refrain from interfering at all. It will not help anyway, and our efforts are better spent elsewhere.

Senators,

It is not the time to panic or to bring the offensive words of former doge Tommasso Mocenigo towards me and my policies regarding the Visconti menace to the fore. May I remind you that this Consiglio decided previously who our enemies were. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions were right. And that the result of those deliberations were that our enemies were Genoa (9 votes), Milan (8 votes), and the Ottoman Empire (5 votes). At that session, of the twelve senators present, eight declared that a war with Milan was desirable if we could conclude it successfully towards our interests. The unanimous hiring of our very expensive condottiero Carmagnola, was accompanied of recommendations of putting him to good use. What use has a condottiero but war? And Carmagnola came with reports about the weakness of his former employer's forces. Reports that were shown to be accurate.

Senator Dandolo, doge Mocenigo was a fool. We have now enough farmland in Italy to feed our large population without having to trade on foreign food. Or are some senators suggesting that we should grow vegetables in the gardens of our palaces, as the byzantine nobles have been reduced to do by the turkish hordes?. Our expansion in italy is necessary to ensure our safety and Mocenigo was shortsighted for not seeing it.

Regarding the dangers of Constantinople, we should keep calm. The walls of Constantinople are solid. Ghazi is being destroyed by the Ottoman Empire and his allies (Kara Koyunlu got independent peace with OE & rest). The Black Sheep confederation does not control the Bosporus strait, nor will be capable of blockading the port. His numbers are too close to the minimum required just to encircle the Byzantine capital, and they arrived by land using the former state of war with the OE, so reinforcements are unlikely since that route is now closed. In fact, the siege has not progressed for the last six months (We are now in June 1427), since one of our merchant ships from the Black sea brought the news on the siege of the imperial capital last christmas, and siege attrition might prevent the turks from completing the siege. The Black sheep turks, unlike the Ottoman turks, are just a nomadic force without clear leadership. I have confidence that with the help of the Lord, Constantinople will resist until the arrival of our forces, estimated at November 1427. We can prepare contingencies in case Constantinople falls before our arrival.

It is therefore the time of action and not of lamentation. Senator Gandolfi, now it is more important than ever to have our ideas clear and to choose the best course of action, democracy is our strengh. The siege by the turkish scum does not change anything, but awakes us to what was a fact from the beginning. The Roman empire is over, a relic, a thing of the past. We are the future, with our arts, our trade, our banking. It is our responsibility to lead occident to a new renaissance, and the greeks can choose to join us or to remain under the mantle of darkness for many centuries to come. They should be happy that they have been given this chance again, as when they were conquered by our roman ancestors only to help the empire become more enlightened. If we end up with the control of Byzantium, their most egregious nobles will be elected for this consiglio, so they will continue to participate in their government.

We will continue debating the issue of Byzantium until tomorrow, when a decission will be taken.

Besides the complete reports to be delivered every 5 years, I will try to regularly update the yearly summaries when the game is paused between reports. Don't forget to go to the first post for links to any period. 1423 has been added to the previous post. If you think it is necessary to know more exact dates, I will keep track of them.

1424-1428 Account:

Year 1424
-sent 3 merchants for 20D: 3 succeeded, and 2 were lost.
Total +1 merchant

Important international events nearby
Austria, Styria, Tyrol and Savoy DoW to Bohemia
Naples paid 58 and Apulia to Papal States
Candar annexed by Ottoman Empire
Hungary cancelled vassalization and with Teutonic Order and Pomerania DoW to Serbia.
OE, Bosnia, Albania, Wallachia and Egypt DoW Ghazi and Kara Koyunlu.

Our diplomacy
-Obtained military access from Tuscany

Year 1425
-Sent 4 merchants for 28D: 3 succeeded, 1 failed, and 7 were lost.
Total -4 merchants
On January, Carmagnola (land leader) was commissioned.
On April, T. Savorgnan (land leader) died.
-Recruited 2000 inf. 1000 cav. for 53D in Istria for the war.

OE instituted the office of Sheikoul Islam event.
Serbia annexed by Hungary.
Papal States, Aragon & Tuscany (Modena & Navarra dishonored) DoW to Burgundy, France, Scotland & Brabant.

Our diplomacy
-Venice Dow to Milan, Bavaria, Palatinate, Wirtemberg, Luxembourg and Naples. Stability down to +2
-Modena joins Venice & Athens alliance, joins Venice war against Milan alliance.

Year 1426
-Sent 3 merchants for 16D: 2 succeeded, 1 failed, and 2 were lost.
Total -1 merchant
-Recruited 2000 cav. for 54D in Ionia.
Stability up to +3

Ak Koyunlu, Trebizond & Georgia (Knights dishonor) DoW to Egypt, OE, Albania, Bosnia & Wallachia.
Kara Koyunlu gets independent peace with OE, Bosnia, Albania, Wallachia and Egypt for 27D.
Egypt, OE, Albania & Bosnia (Wallachia dishonored) DoW to Nubia.
OE and Ghazi had the absorvance of Haydin.

Our diplomacy
-Obtained military access from Modena

Year 1427
-Sent 4 merchants for 16D: 2 succeeded, 2 failed, and 3 were lost.
Total -3 merchant
On June, P. Loredan (naval leader) died.

Bohemia surrendered Sudeten to Austria
Bohemia surrendered Silesia to Poland

Our diplomacy
-Venice made peace with Milan alliance gaining Mantua, Milan vassalization & 50D.

Year 1428
No merchants sent. None lost.
-Recruited 2000 inf. for 26D in Ionia.
Byzantium refugees event.

Tyrol, Austria, Styria and Savoy DoW to Milan.
OE annexed Trebizond.
Genoa made peace with Theodoros paying 139D.

Our diplomacy
We annexed Byzantium.

Last edited:
Most Serene Doge, Noble Senators,

While the senators talked, the enemy has stricken. Nay, look not east at the Turks besieging the Great City. The worst enemy is within our walls. A conspiracy threatens the very foundation of this Republic. Men of power and influence, meeting in dark chambers, commanding the blind loyalty of our armies and provincial officials, would take from this assembly all its powers. Powers that our fathers saw fit to divide among many, to protect our freedom.

They will have us believe that we are in danger; that decisions must be made swiftly, that action cannot wait for the deliberation of the Senate. Before long, this august body will only be asked to simply approve decisions made elsewhere. Already, we are presented with a fait accompli, the war against the Visconti, are we not?
And we are supposed to be pleased, since it went so well, looking the other way as war and peace were made without even one senator knowing. It was a unique opportunity, we are told; our armies had to strike in secret, to achieve surprise; this decision was already implied by our previus choices. On and on, there are many such reasons.

And now, these conspirators try to cloud our judgment with rumors of Carmagnola’s treason, so that we may be led to blame him for this hasty enterprise. But this Senate is not made up of fools!

No, I shall not declare myself pleased with this war, however well our Captain General Fodoron seems to think it went. The timinig was exceedingly wrong, as events are proving. What is a small land gain in the west, when the Turks threaten our very existence in the east? What is the humiliation of Milan, when those lands, left without allies or protection, are now ripe to fall into greedy, perhaps foreign hands, so that we may have to face a stronger enemy than Milan would ever have been? What shall happen, if the despicable Genoese should take advantage of Milan’s weakness? What if our Modenese allies, should decide to wage war to them, with whom shall we side?

Do you not see the wisdom of Carmagnola, who did not want to weaken that power beyond our interest? Is it treason to consider all the consequences of rash actions? Perhaps he showed his faith more to us, the Senators of the Republic, than to the Captain General and that is why we now hear such baseless accusations from this Enrico Donato, whose affiliations we know very well.

Beware of the Captain General, noble senators, not Carmagnola, if you must beware of a man! I formally propose that the Captain General be censored for his lack of respect to the principles of the Republic, and an investigation be called to ascertain whether his actions proceed from darker counsels, rather than a mere inadvertence.

Yet, in our present plight, we must not be divided within ourselves, nor can we afford to lose the services of the Captain General. Indeed, he must be commended at least for one of his actions: dispatching Carmagnola to rescue Constantinople from the Turks, knowing the opinion of many among us. That was indeed a decision that could not wait. All hope is not lost, let us pray that he can get inside the walls and organize the defenses with our own troops, so that the black hearts of those Black Sheep will be discouraged and they will abandon the siege.

I ask those senators who have not yet voted on the issue of Constantinople to do so now, so that a speedy decision can be made without surrendering the supremacy of this honorable assembly to men of arms and actions.

[Just roleplaying, Fodoron, nothing personal :) Only a good power struggle]

I'm loving this, man!

It is not supposed to happen until later, but upon hearing the grave accusations that senator Carmagnola has threw at me, I am going to institute the "Supremo Terribile Tribunale", composed by three Inquisitors. These will be chosen for a short period based on the highest number of posts (posts in the Il Senato AAR count double) from the last institution, so old posts are no good. They will not repeat unless everybody has participated. Their goal is to assure the security of the State, and their power will be above the doge or any other person in the Repubblica. They have to find the truth by means of espionage, counterespionage and internal surveillance, they can make use of a network of informers and "confidants". From between the Dogal Councillors I will appoint Dandolo as "il rosso", as he has to dress in red. Sitting at both sides of "il rosso", chosen from the Council of Ten, and dressed in black, will be "il neri", Moro, and Gandolfi.

Their first task will be to determine if there is any truth in senator Carmagnola accusations against the Doge. But they can engage in any investigation they deem necessary for the State security. Their polls are not to be interfered by the rest of the senate. Other senators can bring cases for them to hear.

So for the first period (length to be determined), Inquisitors are:

Il rosso: Lawkeeper Dandolo
Il nero: Arturo Gandolfi
Il nero: Hastu Moro

Their inquisitorial interventions should be signed as such, so we can distinguish if they act as senators or as inquisitors.

PS. Please do not make bogus posts just to increase your counts, and participate in the "Il Senato... AAR".

Minister Fodoron, and Honorable Senators,

You misunderstand my brief missive. I do not lament. I rejoice in your magnificent victory and another great victory to come.

The Visconti have been humbled, and I can envision a day soon, when all of northern Italy, including my ancestral land of the Emilia, become part of our glorius Republic.

When I said the point was moot, I meant that I could not see how anyone could oppose incorporating Constantinople now that their weakness has become so obvious to all.

However, perhaps I have underestimated the thickheadedness of our peace party, and their attachment to their money over the glory and safety of the Republic and all of Christendom.

So it is clear to all. I support the incorporation of Constantinople NOW, from whomever holds it when our forces arrive. If we much seek loans or debase the currency to achieve victory, so be it.

Furthermore, I am honored and humbled to be appointed to such an august position as Il Nero. Since I hail from the far western Venetian colony of Novo Eburacum, I always wear black :rolleyes:

Although I myself have seen no malfeasance, I take my position seriously, and must ferret out the truth. Anyone with information on the behaviour of our most respected Minister and Captain General Fodoron, can send a letter to my secret address, aegandolfi@yahoo.com. My fellow inquisitors can also use it for communications sub rosa.

Your humble servant,

Arturo Ernesto Gandolfi

Heard in the market place:

Merchant A: "These wise guys who rules. What do they know about trading? They send merchants all over Europe for a lot of money and what do they bring back? I'll bet the city loses money on this."

Merchant B: "Yeah, those of us that go abroad say their profit doesn't even cover the expenses. If we only were allowed to see the total figures, but they do not dare. These big guys have their projects and don't want to be caught with their pants down. Ha!"

Merchant C: "Yes my friends, not only that, I've even heard rumours we've lost huge shares of the market in foreign places. Perhaps even 30%. This is a scandal."

Yes, trade is one of the areas where I know I have to improve a lot. I will post the figures soon and we can have a discussion on it.

I declare myself guilty of not being careful enough whith public funds. I have to say in my defense that I did not personally benefited from it, nor did I favored any family.

Also, when I talked about secrecy I did not mean it literally. DanielA got it right. We all want to hear all that secret information. The inquisitors will make sure that secret witnesses are protected.

Election 8 is officially closed. The results are posted at the election place (link at first post). They constitute a very clear mandate towards aggressive action against both Morea and Byzantium. The present situation of Constantinople highlights the fears that have guided many of the senators towards a difficult but perhaps necessary decision.

Most noble senators,

We have triumphed again. Read the report sent by our balio at the court of the last Basileus, Marino Zen.

I am now giving you a colorful account of the main news that have happened between June 1427 and May 1432. Soon our secretaries will present you with more detailed reports and new matters that need to be resolved. Some of them of the most serious nature.

This time I will start with the bad news. Our recent vassal Milan has been lost. Regretfully, Filippo Maria Visconti had made too many enemies. Before we had time to act, and while we were distracted in the Aegean, Tyrol declared war to Milan, and was supported by his allies, Savoy, Austria and Styria. After being completely defeated and conquered, Visconti made his final mistake and arranged the independent surrender of Emilia to Savoy. When Tyrol defeated him again, Milan was annexed by Tyrol. Looking from 1427, we have lost a vassal, but looking from 1425, a mortal enemy that had a permanent casus belli, has disappeared. It is possible that this will free our hands from Italy and allows us to concentrate on the growing oriental menace, since Milan usually gets into a lot of unproductive wars.

1428.jpg

The loss of Milan. (A) On March 1428, Tyrol and allies declare war to Milan. (B) Savoy acts quickly and steals the sieges from Tyrol. (C) On July 1429, Milan surrenders Emilia to Savoy (independent peace). (D) Then tries to win the war against Tyrol with 1000 troops. (E) But Tyrol is a very strong country and smashes Milan, (F) and annexes Milan on December 1430.
-------------------​

We also have some good news to add to our success in incorporating Thrace to the Repubblica.

1429.jpg

February 1429. Our fleet increased by 12%.
-------------------​

1430b.jpg

December 1430. We become richer.
-------------------​

Your Doge,
Francesco Foscari

EVENT DECISION 3.

Most respected senators,

On May 1432, Count Carmagnola has been brought to Venice from Mystra to respond to the charges of high treason:

From the LoveToKnow encyclopedia:

"During the war against Milan, the republic was desirous of rapid and conclusive operations, but it was to the interest of Carmagnola, as indeed to all other soldiers of fortune, to make the operations last as long as possible, to avoid decisive operations, and to liberate all prisoners quickly. Consequently the campaign dragged on interminably, some battles were won and others lost, truces and peace treaties were made only to be broken, and no definite result was achieved. Carmagnolas most important success was the battle of Maclodio (1427), but he did not follow it up. The republic, impatient of his dilatoriness, raised his emoluments and promised him immense fiefs including the lordship of Milan, so as to increase his ardour, but in vain. At the same time Carmagnola was perpetually receiving messengers from Visconti, who offered him great rewards if he would abandon the Venetians. The general trifled with his past as with his present employers, believing in his foolish vanity that he held the fate of both in his hand. But the Venetians were dangerous masters to trifle with, and when they at last lost all patience, the Council of Ten determined to bring him to justice. Summoned to Venice to discuss future operations on the 29th of March 1432, he came without suspicion. On his arrival at the ducal palace he was seized, imprisoned and brought to trial for treason against the republic. Although the doge befriended him, he was condemned to death and beheaded on the 5th of May. A man of third-rate ability, his great mistake was that he failed to see that he could not do with a solvent and strong government what he could with bankrupt tyrants without military resources, and that the astute Visconti meant to ruin him for his abandonment."

1432.jpg

May 1432. Carmagnola's trial.
-------------------​

Option A: Execute Carmagnola
+30 ducats
Land -1
Quality -1

Option B: Release Carmagnola
Land -1
Quality -1

Option C: Retain Carmagnola
-100 ducats
Stability -1
Monarch DIP -3 for 12 months
Trigger Carmagnola's aquitted event.

At present we have 291 ducats in our coffers, inflation is 3%, and we are at peace.

Election open for at least four days. We have a very, very long weekend at home, with our constitution day on Monday and a religious holiday on Wednesday, and obviously no schools on Tuesday. I'll see when I can post, but please continue the discussions, they are a lot of fun.

First, what the republic have a achieved in the last years is nothing but astounding. The rapid capture of Mantua and the distruction of the Visconti will truly cement our high and safe standing in Italy. Let's just hope that the future looks kindly on us for saving Constantinople from the bad government of the Palaeologus emperors. That Athens acted as we wanted in Greece plays well into our hands. We have now a strong ally and good ports available there.
I had just wished that all Senators here had acted only within this body to secure Constantinople for us. Unfortunately this is not the case, some corrupt minds dwell in this very room! I have recieved reports, from truly trusted sources, that the arms trade between Venice and the Turks of the Black Sheep was unusually intense just before they decided to attack the Byzantine remnants. I find it hard to believe they actually came up with the far-fetched idea to attack all by themselves...

I also wish that I would have been given more praise for adding five Dalmatian galleys- on my own expense! -to the fleet of our republic.

1429.jpg

Is this the way Venice treat truthful servants?

qv.jpg

Citizens of the Serennissima Rebuplica,

As Primo Inquisitor, Il Rosso, I formally declare this sitting of the Supremo Terribile Tribunale open. I will be assisted by Il Neri Inquisitori Hastu Moro and Gandolfi, and we will jointly preside the Quarantia.

To inform you, a penal trial by the Quarantia follows six steps.
The first step, the denouncement, has already taken place. However, Capitano General Fodoron has forgotten to sign his declaration, and so his denouncement had to be carried by one of the forty members of the Quarantia.
The second step, the examination, will consist of the collect of the testimonies and proofs, among which will lay testimonies by Doge Francesco Foscari, Capitano General Fodoron, commissioner to the armies Enrico Donato and Balio at Constantinople Marino Zen.
In the third step, the placitare, those testimonies and proofs will be exposed to the Court.
The fourth step is the defense by the accused perso, with a legal assistant if he so wishes.
The fifth step is the vote on the culpability and on the penalty requested by the advocates of the Commune.
The sixth step is the verdict.

Now, let us hear the testimonies of the witnesses.

In the interest of the trial, I propose that all members of the Quarantia (all willing and voting Senators, for our subject) only put their votes in the fifth step. Willing Magistrates may interrogate the witnesses, and I propose that Senator Carmagnola takes the charge of presenting the defense of the accused person.

During this time, inside the walls of the Senate.

Fellow Senators, Honorable Consiglieri,
Dear friends,

I commend the generals of our armies for their successes against the Byzantines, but I grieve that had to be achieved at the expense of the defense of our interests in the peninsula. How can we accept that german nobles hold any italian land ? That Friedrich IV of Tyrol (what a barbaric and unestethic name to bear, I pity him for that) is a rather aggressive lord, and now our small border with him has simply doubled. He is a danger, a threat to our civilization.

However, things aren't that simple.
The warring path is not to be chosen ... yet. We first need to consolidate our recent gains, and let the memories of our neighbours forget our recent expansions, so as not to appear as war-minded people. Moreover, the Ottoman Empire is a threat too, and a greater threat, so we have to be careful on that front.

Senators, thank thee to have listened to me,

Senator Lawkeeper Dandolo.

Later, in the Casa Dandolo.
My brave Dandolo, our Serennissima Republica is surrounded by fools. That german prince paid me to make a discourse in favor of peace that I would have done without any payment, and that Sultan reacted exactly like I planned : by executing my dear cousin, whose half of the Dandolo's wealth I am the only heir. A good day indeed.

Even under the threat of the terrible inquisitorial tribunal, normal life in the Serenissima Repubblica of Venice must continue.

[size=+1]1428 Report (December)[/size]

Economy
Stability +3
Treasury = 40D

Code:
Number of provinces:
1419     6
1423     7
1428     9

Yearly income from provinces:
           Tax       Prod     Manp
1419      29.86      23.48     6.2
1423      46.80      37.43     6.2
1428      68.13      44.40     8.8

Monthly income:
           Tax     Prod     Trade    Gold    Total   mil. maint. (50%)
1419       9.3      2.0       5.9     0.0     17.2       -1.7
1423      12.8      3.1       9.7     0.0     25.7       -2.2
1428      16.1      3.7       8.3     0.0     28.1       -2.2

25 merchants in CoTs (-3). 5 merchants/year
cost of placement is 4-5 in Italy, 8-9 in Europe, 17 in Alexandria.
Trade efficiency is 54% (first nation).

National
Monarch Francesco Foscarini
Military Good (7)
Administrative Good (7)
Diplomacy Average (7)

Code:
Domestic policies:
Year 1400 +       19 23 28
Aristocracy        4  -  -
Centralization     3  4  -
Innovative         4  -  -
Mercantilism       5  -  -
Offensive          2  -  -
Land               2  -  3
Quality            6  -  7
Serfdom            4  -  -

Technology + % of next level (estimated date)
Land 1 + 57% (1436)
Naval 2 + 22% (1465)
Trade 3 + 3% (1689)
Production 2 + 30% (1451)

Military

Maximum morale is 1.6 + 1 = 2.6

Leaders:
Land: Carmagnola (3,4,3)

Army 12.5k infantry, 9k cavalry
maintenance cost at 50% 1.4 D/month
Navy 5 warships, 30 galleys, 5 transports
maintenance cost at 50% 0.8 D/month

Cost of army units:
Infantry 13D
Cavalry 27D

Manpower = 7
Manpower pool = 14 (2/month)
Army support limit = 31 000 (13 000 from trade)
Navy support limit = 73

International

1) Standing
Cores (Permanent CB):
Morea (Morea), Hellas (Athens), Cyprus (Cyprus)
Allies: Athens, Modena
Bad Boy 6.9/31

Countries with permanent CB on Venice:
Albania, Morea, Hungary, Milan, Ottoman Empire.

1428e.jpg

Warning: The picture was taken when the report was made (Dec. 1428), but to have a meaningful discussion, the following diplomatic info is updated to April 1432 (last saving date). Reports are at fixed dates for comparative purposes, while games are saved at any time, depending on circumstances, trying to play 5 years at a time.

2) Neighbours and near-neighbours by areas (allies). Underlined countries have land/strait border to Venice:

Italy:
Papal States +16 (Aragon +125, Tuscany +152 RM, MA)
Modena +200 RM, MA (Athens +186 MA, Venice)
Genoa +25 (Provence, Brittany, Koln)
Naples +150 (Bavaria, Palatinate, Wirtemberg, Luxembourg)
North:
Tyrol -32 RM (Austria +170 RM MA, Styria +87, Savoy +125)
Schwitzerland +125 RM (Saxony, Hesse, Hannover)
Danubian:
Hungary -130, (Teutonic Order, Livonian Order)
Balcan/Carpatian/Asia minor:
Albania -74 (OE -147, Bosnia +79, Egypt -61, Kara Koyunlu, Bohemia)
Mediterranean:
The knights +121, (Cyprus -42 RM, Georgia, -83, Theodoros -75)

3) Vassalages:
Wallachia, Albania, and Karaman are vassals of OE
Athens is a vassal of Venice

4) Changes in our area:
Ottoman Empire has annexed Trebizond, Ghazi and Ak Koyunlu
Ottoman Empire won Sochi from Georgia
Venice annexed Byzantine Empire
Athens annexed Morea
Savoy won Emilia from Milan
Tyrol annexed Milan

[size=+1]Election 9. 1429-1439 International Situation[/size]

This election is to orient the work of our diplomats and advance our goals. State the countries that we should befriend or attack according to the following categories.

1. Dear Friends. Countries that we should try to ally (or keep in the alliance), marry and get military access with. Look in the report for CBs and current relationships.

2. Friends. Countries that we want to keep good relationships and marry, but we don't want in our alliance.

3. Adversaries. Countries that we would like to hit if the conditions are right, but are not currently direct targets. Military access is not out of the question since we don't plan to DoW them but could find at war with them.

4. Enemies. Countries that we should get at war with, if the conditions are right. This should include countries that are not strictely enemies, but that we could take a province or annex to pursue long term goals.

5. Warmonger clause. Enter (W) if you believe we should declare war under the right circumstances in this period to advance our goals. Enter (P) if you believe we should remain at peace during this period, unless attacked. Voting W does not mean we will go to war, it means we will not let a good oportunity of declaring war to a ripe target escape. Such opportunity may not present itself.

Remember that this is an important election. I will not ask into the alliance a country that is not in the top positions in 1). For example I did not ask the Knights as senator Norrefeldt suggested, because they were not in the list. There are only two slots available at this time.

In the case of war. I will only take the initiative against countries in the top positions in 4). Wars like the one against Milan will not be voted because they were voted in this elections already. A majority vote for P disables our aggression. When we are declared war, we are more ferocious against countries that rate high in 4) or 3).

RESULTS:
A modification has been introduced in ballot counting to compensate for a smaller number of votes. Categories 1) Dear friends and 4) Enemies, are resolved first. Any vote for a country not making it to the top in this categories will be transfered to the next category, 2) or 3). The rationale is that a vote for a country as an enemy would rather go to it as an adversary than to be wasted, and conversely for allies and friends.

1) Dear friends: Besides our current allies Athens and Modena (5/5), we also have Tuscany (5/5), Bosnia (4/5) and Naples (3/5) in this category.

2) Friends: The Knights (5/5), Wallachia and Cyprus (4/5), and Austria and Switzerland (3/5) are countries we want good relationships, but not alliance.

3) Adversaries: Tyrol and Savoy (3/5), followed by Papal States (2/5) are countries to keep a watch on them.

4) Enemies: Ottoman Empire (3/5), Genoa and Albania (2/5), constitute our axis of evil.

5) A peaceful approach has been chosen by a slim margin (3/5) for the next (7 years remaining) period.

Notwithstanding, I will periodically send scouts to report on the situation of the greek colonies in the Black sea. Having better intelligence will help take better decisions. I do must warn about the spread of our forces that have to watch over 3 islands and an isolated colony (Thrace) in addition to our main territory. The war with the Ottoman alliance seems inevitable, given our bad relationships with several of their members that hold casus belli on us, and their relative strength compared to our alliance.
I will also try to get MA from Savoy, but I will not expend money on that.

Last edited: