• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I subscribed just off the name and I am so impressed :)

This is the first AAR which has actually made me laugh out loud, and I have voted for it in some of the AAR award categories!

What happened to those Cypriots in Rethel? I'm curious :p

Nice work! People are reading, and I have nominated you for the Weekly AAR Showcase.

Make sure to pick a successor for next week, and enjoy your week in the spotlight.

The Cypriot peasants in Rethel should learn how to properly adress their duc though :laugh:

Thank you for the recognition, and rest assured that I'm thoroughly enjoying my week in the spotlight!

Those Cypriot peasants might want to learn how to read a map before they sign up for classes in courtly etiquette.

I subscribed just off the name and I am so impressed :)

This is the first AAR which has actually made me laugh out loud, and I have voted for it in some of the AAR award categories!

Thank you very much! I missed qualifying for Newcomer of the Year by one day, sadly, but that just makes me the only a leading candidate for the 2015 award!

keep it up man, brilliant stuff!

Thank you! Keep reading, you have brilliant taste in AARs!

What happened to those Cypriots in Rethel? I'm curious :p

They split into the Popular Front of Cyprus, People's Cypriot Front, and Cypriot Popular Front, and were sidetracked by a discussion of whether or not a man has a right to have babies.

Very nice! I love this new playboy King Duc!

Well, ever since he got married he's as uxorious as they come, although it easier when your wife is a big of a party animal as you are.

Chapitre 5: The Great Ducal Pissing Contest of 1451

“You told him he could build this.”

“I didn’t think he would actually go through with it!”

Grand Captain Benoit de Semur and Head-Diplomat-in-Charge Phillippe le Corgne are standing in front of the brand-new Ducal Treehouse, an elaborate two-story affair sprawling across the branches of three centuries-old oaks. A sign reading “No Kings or French People allowed!” is nailed to the front door.

“You’re a terrible babysitter.”

“That wasn’t in the job description when I applied here.”

“Whatever. You’re the diplomat. Negotiate his ass out of that tree and back into the cabinet room, we have a Grand Duchy to run.”

de Semur stalks back off to the manor, leaving le Corgne to walk around the base of the treehouse, trying to figure out which window Duke Louis is sitting by. After a few moments of walking and listening, he hears the sound of snoring coming from a window on the western side of the house/

“Mon Duc! Mon Duc, please wake up, it’s time for a cabinet meeting.”

“…*shnxx* Wha- Go away! DON’T MAKE ME THROW THESE ACORNS AT YOU!”

“Mon Duc, you’ve been in that treehouse for two weeks straight now. It’s time to come down and go back to work.”

“We beat France! What else is there to do?”

“There’s still a lot of France left, mon Duc. We need to figure out what part we’re going to liberate next.”

“Fine. Bring me a map, I’ll pick out the next part of France we’re conquering and then you and Benoit can take care of it.”

“Mon Duc…”

A bucket tied to a rope is lowered from the treehouse until it’s dangling right in front of Phillippe le Corgne’s face.

“Put the map in the bucket, Phillippe.”

*deep sigh*

“Oui, mon Duc.”

“It’s no use, Benoit. He IS Duke, he has several armed men up there, and a limitless supply of acorns.”

“Oh, don’t you worry, I just got some news that ought to shift that christi connard out of his tree, see if it doesn’t.” Benoit grabbed a gilded piece of parchment, covered in eight colors of inks, off the table and strode towards the door. “If you look out the window, you should see the man who brought us this hoity-toity eyesore of a letter waddling towards Sundgau as fast as his chubby little legs can carry him.”

Phillippe pulled a chair away from the vast conference table to one of the windows that overlooked the front of the manor. A short fat man in expensive clothes was making his way through the market, with three guards clearing a path for him. Oddly enough, the Dijon city gendarmes, who usually enjoyed trying to pick fights with merchants’ pet sellswords, were giving the man a wide berth, and actually helping to clear a path for the visitor.

The man was wearing red and white. And Benoit had mentioned someone running off to Sundgau, which nine times out of ten meant an Austrian. Was that man a messenger from…

“THE COJONES OF THOSE DEUTSCHBAGS!”

Ninety seconds later, Duke Louis had barged into the cabinet room, a beaming Benoit de Semur keeping pace a step and a half behind him.

“ARCHDUKES? ARCHDUKES? THIS MUST BE SOME KIND OF FORGERY!”

“Well, mon Duc, that’s quite possible, but without any real evidence it’s a question of he wrote, she wrote, so it’s doubtful that we’ll ever be able to disprove…”

“FINE. FINE! THEY CAN CALL THEMSELVES ARCHDUKES. THEY CAN CALL THEMSELVES HOLY ROMAN EMPERORS, IF THEY CAN DO THAT WITH A STRAIGHT FACE. THEY CAN YELL KAAAA-ME-HAAAAA-ME-HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AND PRETEND TO SHOOT BLASTS OF PURE SPIRITUAL ENERGY OUT OF THEIR HANDS IF THAT’S WHAT FLOATS THEIR BOATS. WHAT WE NEED TO DO IS SEND THEM A MESSAGE. AND THAT MESSAGE IS THAT LUIS DE TRASTAMARA IS THE GRANDEST DUKE IN EUROPE AND THAT THEY CAN GO TAKE A LONG WALK OFF A SHORT ALP IF THEY DISAGREE.” Duke Louis took a deep breath to compose himself, and, as if nothing happened asked “What’s the best way to do that?”

de Semur spoke first: “Carve off a chunk of the HRE and make them watch.”

“Okay, M. le Corgne, there are, like, hundreds of tiny little blobs on the map in the HRE. We have to have a reason to smash one of them. Which one goes first?”

“Benoit, d’you remember when Duke Phillippe came in here and said he’d received a vision from God to go rescue our kinsfolk in Barrois?”

“Wait, the guy who was Duke before me had a vision from God? Why didn’t he act on it?”

“Because,” Benoit de Semur replied, “God didn’t warn him about the dangers of Medicuses.”

“So you can invade Provence pretty much whenever you feel like it,” said le Corgne in an effort to change the subject before anyone in the room could be accused of heresy, “Best of all, Barrois is a part of the HRE but Provence isn’t a member, so we can go to war and the Hapsburgs will have to grin and bear it. We can even vassalize Lorraine if you feel like it.”

“It feels good. Let’s do it!”

***********************************************************************************

Eustache de Damas and some random underling are sieging Barrois.

“Any sign of a relief column, their pikes and banners a fearsome darkling mass, emerging over the horizon to do battle?”

“Yet again the answer is Non, mon general.”

“Any sign that the garrison is arming itself to the teeth before throwing the gates open and flinging themselves on our army in a desperate, all-or-nothing sortie?”

“Yet again the answer is Non, mon general.”

“I swear I will die of boredom outside this Godforsaken city.”

“You say that every day, mon general.”

“…”

“…”

“…”

“…”

*thud*

“General de Damas? GENERAL DE DAMAS! GENERAL DE DAMAS! Saints preserve us, he really did mean it this time!”

***********************************************************************************

"Well," said le Corgne. "We need to replace perhaps the most unique general in Burgundian history. How should we find our next general?"

"I have just the plan," said Duke Louis. He then explain it in detail to le Corgne and de Semur.

"That," said de Semur, "is the biggest connerie I have heard in my long and distinguished career of being surrounded by connards."

de Semur's opinion was ignored, and a month later Duke Louis had set up everything he needed to carry out his plan.

The lower tables of the grand banquet hall had been laboriously carried out and replaced with one solitary hard wooden chair. Duke Louis sat at his customary spot at the high table, flanked on either side by de Semur and le Corgne. Trophies of war, brightly polished arms and armor decorated the halls and an honor guard of twenty-four of Burgundy's most imposing knights stood at attention in level rows. Outside, five dozen candidates sat, stood, paced, or leaned on the walls in the foyer outside the banquet hall, waiting their turn to be called.

Duke Louis gave a sign to Nestor, who was standing by the door leading into the foyer, to let in the first candidate.

"Duke Phillippe bids you be seated!" barked de Semur in his yelling-at-hungover-infantrymen voice. Once the candidate had obeyed, Duke Louis cleared his throat.

"Welcome to...WHO WANTS TO BE A BURGUNDIAN GENERAL? Our first contestant is Julien de Bruges. Julien, are you ready to play WHO WANTS TO BE A BURGUNDIAN GENERAL?

Nervous nodding

"Julien, the founder of the Karling dynasty earned his famous nickname by defending West Francia from the Mahommadean scourge at the weeklong battle of Tours. What was his nickname? Was it:"

a) "The Hammer"
b) "The Axe"
c) "The Hacksaw"
d) "The Mouldboard Plow"

Two excruciatingly awkward minutes ensure before Julien finally responds:

"Mon duc, it was D, definitely D, that's my final answer."

Duke Louis, le Corgne and de Semur simultaneously facepalm.

"Maybe next lifetime. Okay, our next contestant is Simon Deslauriers. Simon, are you ready to play WHO WANTS TO BE A BURGUNDIAN GENERAL?"

"Absolutely, mon Duc!"

"That's what I like to hear!

"The Age of the Crusades was begun when Pope Urban II tasked a band of ambitious adventurers to undertake a armed journey to Jerusalem in a sermon outside this city. Was it:

A) Paris
B) Clermont
C) Nicaea
D) Rivendell"

Simon instantly responds:

"It was C! C! C! Final answer!"

"That's not what I like to hear."

Several hours of futility ensue before someone with two brain cells to rub together is seated in front of Duke Louis.

"Second to last question!"

"Thank God."

"Zip it, Benoit. See, my idea worked after all!"

"This otherwise unknown Roman wrote the famous textbook of Roman warfare, Epitoma rei militaris. What was his name? Was it:

a) Lucius Vorenus
b) Vegetius
c) Virgil
d) Vegeta"

Isidore de Bourgeois, for the fifteenth time in a row, gave the correct answer without hesitating. "B, final answer."

"B) Vegetius is CORRECT! Now, for the final question, the category is 'Weapons.' Which of the following is a real polearm? Is it:

a) The Mazovian Spine Pulper
b) The Venetian Back Stabber
c) The Bohemian Ear Spoon
d) The Novgorodian Spleen Remover"

For the first time during the game, Isidore de Bourgeois hesistated. After a few seconds of running his fingers
through his bird's nest of dirty blond hair, he spoke: "I'd like to use my lifeline."

Benoit de Semur groaned.

"I'd like to send a fast courier to a friend."

"Okay," said Phillippe de Corgne. "Who would you like to ask?"

"My mother."

"That'll take two weeks!" shouted Duke Louis.

"I told you the lifeline was the stupidest part of this entire piece of tomfoolery!" Benoit shouted right back.

"Whoa," said Duke Louis, his voice returning to a conversational tone. "I never said I was wrong." He turned and shouted out the door: "Nestor! Have our fastest messenger send this note to Gladys de Bourgogne at her late-August-to-mid-October chateau in France-Comte."

Two weeks pass...

Duke Louis, his cabinet and young Isidore had reassembled in Duke Louis's private office immediately after the courier had returned. The courier was told to enter and hand his message to Isidore, after showing to one and all that Gladys de Bourgogne's seal was intact on the envelope.

Isidore tore it open, scanned it, and without a moment's hesitation announced: "C, Bohemian Ear Spoon, final answer!"

"Correct!" announced Duke Louis.

"No!" yelled Isidore. "How did she know that?!"

"Now what?" asked Benoit de Semur.

"Explain," said Phillippe le Corgne.

"My mother has been on me to uphold our family's glorious martial history," said Isidore. "She told me she'd have me tonsured and sent off to the strictest monastery she could find if I didn't show up here and at least give it my best shot. So I figured I'd make it to the final question, and just give the answer she handed to me, so it wouldn't be my fault when I lost. She doesn't know anything about history or weapons that doesn't involve dead family members. I figured she would just guess and I'd have an easy way out."

There were fifteen seconds of extremely awkward silence.

"Maybe," Isidore said, "that huge spear she used to threaten my dad with whenever he so much as spoke with one of the maids was a Bohemian Ear Spoon."

"You're hired," said Duke Louis. "Whether you like it or not. And my first order is that I never want to hear anything about your mother again."

“Me neither,” said de Bourgeois.

Isidore de Bourgeois has joined your party!

A beaming Duke Louis has just been informed of the birth of his firstborn son and heir. He is clutching a wine goblet with “World’s #1 Dad” engraved on the front and has accosted Benoit de Semur in one of the hallways of the manor.

“I’m going to be a daddy!”

“The thought chills the blood, mon duc.

“Do you think the people might be more willing to accept my son as legitimate if he had the same name as the last Duke?”

“…they might actually fall for that.”

“Cool! It’s time for Duke Phillippe the Good II - Duke Philippe the better!

Phillippe le Corgne, five minutes late for a cabinet meeting, runs into the Cabinet room with a newly arrived dispatch

"Mon Duc! The Pope plots to provide Providence with the purloined province of Provence!"

"That pious predator!"

Benoit de Semur was somewhat more pragmatic. "The Pope! How many divisions has he got?"

"About ten, according to the Ministère des Livres du Grand-Duché de Bourgogne."

"And how many of them can he actually bring up through Savoy and the fruit salad of Italian minors between His Hifalutin High-Hatted Holiness and some kind of actual danger?"

"...he has 3000 men in Avignon."

"So..."

"The end result will not be pretty."

"Do we have any indisputable visual evidence of this?"

"Sadly, no."

Mon duc, we have wrapped up the siege of Maine. Pacified Provence lies piteously prostrate before us!”

“You certainly know a lot of words that start with P, Phillippe. So what are the terms we could get from them?”

“We can seize Barrois and vassalize Lorraine, at the minor cost of having the entirety of the civilized world hate our guts.”

“Mmm…could we vassalize Provence?”

“One second, mon Duc…”

Phillippe furiously slides beads around on an abacus.

“We can! Only just, but they will kneel before you if you ask politely.”

“AWESOME! Phillippe, send them one of those…oh what are those things you’re always going on about?”

“Standard Vassalization Agreements.”

“Right! Get that sent over to Provence ASAP PDQ. This is a triumph!”

“Apparently God disagrees with me. Who knew he could be that literal?”

“Have you read the Old Testament, mon Duc?”

“It lost me at the word ‘Old.’”

“…figures.”

“Anyway, Calais ought to be much more lucrative. We can take all of England’s wool AND staples!”

************************************************** *********************************

Duke Louis and his cabinet are day drinking, erm, having a power lunch. A courier hands Duke Louis a message; as he begins to read it, he spit-takes fine Riesling across the table.

“We’re at war with France and the Papal State?! Since when?”

“Since we signed the Standard Vassalization Agreement, mon Duc. Section XXVI, Paragraph V is very clear about that.”

“Anyway,” Benoit de Semur added, not looking up from the wine he was pouring into his glass, “this ought to help a bit.”

“Okay then! Have Isidore march on Paris, let’s see if the French still really want to keep fighting Provence after that.”

“General de Bourgeois, every last Frenchman on the field threw their berets down and their hands up once our army got within 1000 feet. We are victorious! Glory to the Armee du Charolais, and glory to its commander!”

“I don’t know, I can’t help but feeling that was sort of…anticlimactic.”

“This still counts as beating France. Nobody can take that away from us!”

“The Pope has surrendered, Mon Duc!”

“I had almost forgotten we were at war with him, to be honest.”

“He had no army in the area and no hope of bringing one up. His only hope, as far as I can tell, was for us to do his dirty work for him and chase the Provencials out of Avignon.”

“And since Provence is now my loyal and faithful vassal, and as their benevolent master I have taken up the sword to defend their rightful claims on the field of battle…”

“He’s done.”

“Yep. And that explains what happened earlier this morning.”

“What happened this morning, mon Duc?”

“After mass, my chaplain pulled out this 20-foot scroll and told me it was a letter from the Pope that he had been ordered to read to me.”

“Ah. So what was in the letter?”

“Beats me. The Pope didn’t order me to listen to it. I left an hour ago. For all I know, the chaplain’s still pontificating by proxy to an empty room.”

“…and another 2000-man detachment of French mercenaries have been surrounded and scattered, in Poitou this time.”

“That makes, what, nine of them?”

“Eleven, mon duc.”

“And what about our army?”

“We’ve scraped our way right through the bottom of the barrel, reinforcement-wise.”

“Ah well, this war was getting kind of tedious anyway.” Duke Louis turned to face his diplomatic adviser. “Phillippe, what kind of terms can we get from the French?”

“Word is, they’re willing to turn Auvergne over to Provence.”

“I’d love to see the Duke of Auvergne’s face when he finds out I’m accepting that.”

“Well, there you have it, gentlemen. As they’ll be saying decades from now: Grand Dukes talk, Archdukes walk.”

Last edited:
A lone diplomat carefully picked his way through the aftermath of the “We beat France, Provence and the Papacy!” victory party that had raged in the Ducal manor for the last 24 hours. His facial expression became more and more disgusted as he got closer and closer to the throne room, which was a solid mass of spilled wine, unconscious courtiers, smashed glass and pottery shards.

He had just one job to do, however, and he was going to do it, even if he ended up having to burn his shoes and buy some new ones before he went back to his native country.

Phillippe le Corgne, the only Burgundian awake in room, nodded to acknowledge the diplomat, then waved his hand to cut off the long-winded formal introduction the diplomat was about to launch into. Le Corgne then turned to Duke Louis, passed out on his throne, and shook him awake.

“…mblnxtjkscnx…wha…huh?”

“An ambassador with an important message for you, mon Duc.”

“Wha…oh! Right! Well! Important! Message! Hand it to me, good sir, and welcome to Burgundy!”

“Wha! What the hell were we before this, then?”

The French envoy looked around the room as he gave his reply. “A pack of filthy…extremely filthy…unbelievably filthy traitors who turned their back on their rightful King.”

“Oh. Well. Ummm. You could always try meeting us on the field of battle, I guess. In five years, that is, once the truce provisions of the Teaty of TheFrenchAreLosersVille expires. See, Phillippe? I told you renaming that frontier village would pay off!”

“Oui, mon Duc.”

“Well, off you go then, Monsieur Le Bigshot French Diplomat. Don’t let the door hit you in your giant behind on the way out.”

Duke Louis stood up and blinked twice.

“Excuse me. BLEAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!” Duke Louis’ hangover got the best of him and he fell to his knees, where immediately began puking.

“BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRGH!” Unfortunately for the French envoy, he was a sympathy spewer. “YOU DISGUSTING TURNCOAT BASTARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGH BLEEEEEEEEEEEEEERGH BLUUUUUUUUUUUUUURGHHHHHHHHHHHHH.”

After several months and an extensive remodeling of the Ducal manor…

“Mon duc?”

“Oui?”

“What’s that in your hands?”

“A book.”

“WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?”

“You don’t have to sound so surprised.”

“I’ve literally never seen you holding one of those before.”

“Well, it was pushed into my hands by a hooded man clad in midnight blue. Something was said, but was lost in the confusion. The book was still there.”

“!”

“The ‘secret’ within the book turned out to be the French language. The man was a genius, filling precious parchment with useful advice and valuable insights. Things are gonna be changing for the better around here!”

“…what was the title of the book, mon Duc?”

“It’s ’How to Win Friends, Influence People, and then Annex The Suckers.’ Anyway, I need to go sign this entire book into law. Au revoir!

“Benoit, do you think this might mean a new, more enlightened ruler? At least once we get him to repeal the book from law and replace it with an actual law.”

“No.”

“Can you stop being a cynic for just one minute?”

“Look out the window.”

“Oh.”

“Phillippe, old friend, I will bet you one hundred florins that he didn’t make it all the way through the book.”

*************************************************************************************
Two months later, Benoit walks past a pair of servants changing the number to “29” on a “XX Days Since the Manor Was Attacked by an Angry Mob” sign and into the cabinet’s meeting room.

“Phillippe, mon vieux, do you know why I can’t seem to find a single drop of liquor anywhere in this manor?”

“There are a bunch of starving artists from Florence demanding money in return for art.”

“I see. Well, old friend, I have just the solution. Behind this tapestry –“ Benoit pulls back a tapestry of the great-grandfather of the Duke of Burgundy attempting to dissuade the blind John of Bohemia from launching his suicidal charge at Crecy, captioned “we’ve known better than the French since 1346 “- there’s a safe with some good wine Pepin the Short set aside in case of emergencies, and if I know a damn thing about Pepin the Short, I know that he would consider this an emergency of the highest order, and THOSE DAMN DRUNKEN LUTE-PLUCKERS PICKED THE DAMN LOCK! THEY PICKED MY DAMN LOCK AND STOLE SOME WINE THAT WAS SET ASIDE FOR ME WHILE THEIR ANCESTORS WERE CLEARING OUT CESSPOOLS WITH THEIR BARE HANDS! I WILL STRANGLE THEM WITH THEIR OWN THRICE-DAMNED LUTE STRINGS! I WILL – “

“Go haggle with the canvas merchants and the marble dealers for favorable rates?”

“Mon Duc, why are you encouraging these stumblebums?’

“Well, the peasants are restless, and I figured some naked statues would be the perfect distraction.”

“Naked statues?”

“Naked statues! Naked paintings! Naked mosaics! Naked frescoes! Endless dongs and bosoms as far as the eye can see!”

“Umm…”

“Errrr…”

“This is the most ridiculous-“

“As Benoit was about to say, mon Duc, this is a brilliant idea, and we have no doubt it will enhance the glory of Burgundy throughout Europe.”

*************************************************************************************

“Well that didn’t work.”

“I told you so, you inebriated Iberian imbecile-“

“What Benoit was saying, mon Duc, is that we need to find some other way to distract the masses.”

“A tournament!”

“Well, yes, it’s the last gasp of our soon-to-be obsolete forces…”

“Maybe this will make everyone finally respect me!”

“Mon duc?”

“Well, nobody thinks I’m, whaddya say, lergit…”

“Legitimate.”

“I KNOW WHO MY FATHER WAS! AND HE WAS MARRIED TO MY MOTHER! SURE, HE USED TO DRINK A LOT AND COMPARE HER TO DIFFERENT SPECIES OF LIVESTOCK, BUT HE WAS MARRIED, AND THAT’S WHAT COUNTS…”

“…Benoit, I think General de Damas was looking for you.”

“Yeah, I bet he was.”

Benoit de Semur stalks off

“Anyway, I was thinking, if I beat the living daylights out of the cream of the nobility, they would have to respect me, right?”

“Possibly, mon Duc, but there’s also…”

“And if a few thousands commoners were cheering me on during the fights, that would definitely win me some points with them as well, right?”

“Seems possible, mon Duc, but there’s one thing…”

“Ah, Phillippe, you’re the biggest damn worrywart in Burgundy. It’s a good thing I’m paying you to be precisely that. What’s your problem with my glorious plan?”

“Do you know how to joust, mon Duc?”

“You ride a big horses with a big stick, knock some jagoff off of his big horse and break his big stick, and the crowd goes wild. How hard can it be?”

“I’m sure Benoit could explain in greater detail…”

“I already signed up, anyway. This is a thing that’s happening!”

“Sieur de Semur! Sieur le Corgne! Duke Louis is gravely wounded!”

“Well, he did just take a lance to the solar plexus…”

“…and then fell on his ass in front of a raucously laughing crowd.”

“Sieurs, the Duc was bleeding profusely. Thank God there were two medicuses in the stands, when someone gave the call for help!”

Both le Corgne and de Semur’s faces go white.

“A Medicus?!” yelled de Semur, grabbing the messenger by the lapels. “Where did he come from? Where did he go? DID HE HAVE A MUSTACHE?”

“…a what? A moustache! Yes, he did!”

“Was it twirlable?”

“Quoi?”

“His moustache? WAS IT TWIRLABLE?”

“…I think so.”

“Where did he take Duke Louis? And what did he say?”

“He took him back into the manor, and said that he needed to amputate!”

“Amputate what?”

“…he didn’t mention.”

de Semur tosses the messenger aside and sprints off towards the manor. Le Corgne quickly apologizes, then takes off running right behind his colleague.

They dash past the startled guards at the door, through the Grand Foyer, up the double staircases in the Really Grand Foyer, and into the Grand Ducal Bedchambers. Once again, they are too late!

Duke Louis lies on the bed in a burgundy-colored pool of blood, all four of his limbs amputated and nowhere to be found. An open window off to the side shows where the Medicus made his escape after committing his act of first-degree Dukecide.

On the walls, written in blood, are the words “We have socialized his limbs. Vive la France! Vive the Medicus Liberation Front!”

OOC: A few years down the line, I had myself a peasant’s war. With all the fun random events, like the one below:

Except, unlike what it says on the screen, this malus carries right on through to 1821. The same thing applies to the other event below (+1 national RR, +25% manpower):

Devs, if you’re reading this, that’s either one hell of a game-ruining typo or one hell of a game-ruining coding error, depending on your intentions for this event. Either way this probably oughta get patched.

It took me 30-odd years to realize that this was why my game had become one long revolt, which is no fun to write about. Could someone who knows how to use the console please tell me how I can remove these country flags so I can do things aside from crushing a neverending cycle of nationalist revolts? Thank you!

Cyprus über alles! The Medicuses surely approve.

As for the modifiers: You could try open an uncompressed save (with Notepad++, for example), and delete these modifiers. They should probably be where the tag BUR is. Usually the modifiers go away with the end of the peasants' war though, looks like the Cypriots hacked your game.

Search the entire nation for twirlable mustached people!

As for the modifiers: You could try open an uncompressed save (with Notepad++, for example), and delete these modifiers. They should probably be where the tag BUR is. Usually the modifiers go away with the end of the peasants' war though, looks like the Cypriots hacked your game.

The save file is on Steam's cloud though. Is there any way to get rid of the flags with the in-game console?

I recall one of the devs saying that if you end your peasent war too quickly the modifiers stick around, about how long did you have it before it "went away"?

Tried, got a bunch of gibberish, probably because it's an Ironman game.

Search the entire nation for twirlable mustached people!

They're still part of the French culture group, so 20% of the population probably has mustaches that qualify as twirlable.

I recall one of the devs saying that if you end your peasent war too quickly the modifiers stick around, about how long did you have it before it "went away"?

About seven or eight years. IS THAT ENOUGH SUFFERING FOR YOU, PARADOX?

Dear Diary,

My dad is dead.

I found this out yesterday, when uncle Benoit and uncle Phillippe came and found me in the garden. I was playing hide-and-go-seek with the butler, Nestor Junior. I thought I had the best hiding spot in the world, but those two found me right away.

I asked Uncle Benoit why he was so much better at hide and go seek than anyone else, and he told me that once he had to play a game of hide-and-go-seek with five Frenchmen and a longsword. Uncle Phillippe glared at him and told him this wasn't the time for "old war stories."

Then they told me that the Medicuses had killed my dad, just like they killed the old Duke I was named after, and that Duke's son as well. They told me that I was the Grand Duke now, and that I had to go be the Grandest Duke I could be.

They also told me that tonight would be the most boring night of my life, and they were right.

I was stuck in my dad's old chair at the head of the big dining room. I had to sit through a bunch of speeches introducing the nobles who are gonna be what they call a "regency council" - running the country until I've been educated, and had Communion and been confirmed, and then married off, and not able to have any fun any more. Their names are Laurent, Maurice, and Frisé, and they look really, really stupid.

At some point a lot of the foreigners who had come up to congratulate me got up and left. I wanted to get up and leave too, but uncle Benoit just laughed and said that I had to stay until everything was over. Uncle Phillippe didn't really say anything, he was just staring at the Regency Council and talking to himself really quietly.

What's the point of being Duke if you have to sit around being bored all the time?

- Phillippe

*******************************************************************************************************************

Dear Diary,

This morning my Uncle Phillippe stormed into the room where the Regents were meeting and started yelling at them about what they said last night. Uncle Benoit and I stood by the door and listened. Here are some of the things I remember hearing them say:

"It's hard enough to do my job without you people spewing verbal diarrhea all over a banquet hall."

"I had hoped to persuade the Lorrainers to become one of our vassals, but now they hate our guts. I can hear the Hapsburgs laughing all the way from Vienna. Way to go!"

"You can't go around accusing people of doing things like that to sheep. Especially without any proof."

After he and the regents were done arguing, Uncle Phillippe came out laughing, packed his bags, said goodbye to me and Uncle Benoit and left. I asked Uncle Benoit where he was going, and he told me that one night my dad had gotten drunk, legally renamed a village on the Aa river "Le Corgnestantinople" and made Phillippe the "feudatory." I asked him what a "feudatory" is and he told me not to worry about it, just that Uncle Phillippe would probably be enjoying himself a lot more without having to deal with the Regents anymore.

The regents hired a new diplomat to help them. His name is Hughes and he always looks like he's about to cry. I'm afraid to talk to him; if I tell him a joke it might hurt his feelings and then I'll be grounded for making him cry.

*******************************************************************************************************************

Dear Diary,

The French want to fight me again.

Uncle Benoit said not to worry, since the Valois fight like five-year-olds, and I'm seven.

"Hughes, I just received some fairly alarming news. Do you why are the English invading us?"

"I believe they're part of the Coalition."

"Hmmm...indeed! Larry, Moe or Frisé, were you aware of this?"

"I think we lost the paper."

"Huh! So Richard III, the Trickest Dick in History, and biggest blue-sea navy in the world decides that they want a piece of us, and nobody here bothered to notice?"

"What does it matter? Do we even have a navy?"

"No, but we do have 14,000 Englishmen who left Calais yesterday and will be tramping around Picardie by sunset tomorrow. Does that matter?"

"Benoit, we've decided to hire another general."

"What's wrong with Isidore?"

"He thinks too much."

"...what?"

"We've decided we need someone more aggressive on the front line. Isidore can go sit around outside city walls. We need someone who can see blood and not spend the next two minutes dry-heaving."

"...did you just say something reasonable for the first time in your life? Okay. I'll go draw up a list of possible candidates and we can discuss what we're looking for..."

"Oh, don't worry about that, I already hired someone."

"You did."

"An old friend of mine, just what we needed for the situation. Hey, Johnny! Come meet Benoit de Semur."

Johnny Boogers has joined the party!

A disheveled-looking man with mussed up dirty-blond hair, two days of stubble and a new general's uniform that already has a giant wine stain on the front walks into the room drinking directly from a bottle. He finishes the bottle and smashes it over his own head.

"Benoit, meet my old pal Johnny Boogers. The man and the hour have met."

de Semur's mouth drops. de Beugre takes it upon himself to start the conversation.

"KILL. KILL ALL THE FRENCHMEN AND THE ENGLISH. PILE THEIR SKULLS UNTO THE HEAVENS AND FROLIC AMONGST THEIR CORPSES."

"Where the hell did you find..."

"I WILL GNAW OFF THE HEAD OF THE VALOIS TYRANT, STICK IT ON THE END OF A CLUB AND BEAT RICHARD III TO DEATH WITH IT."

"Isn't he perfect! He's leaving at dawn tomorrow to take command of the main field army."

"BLOOD. BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD, BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD, BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD BLOOD!"

de Semur leaves the room as Johnny Boogers pulls out his sword and begins swinging it around wildly, demanding more wine and some venison chops

Dear Diary,

This "Johnny Boogers" guy the regents hired as the new General is really scary! Before he left at noon today to go join the army, he promised me he'd bring back Jean Bureau's skull for me to play with as a puppet. Then he told me that when I was old enough to drink wine, he'd have it covered in silver for me to drink out of without having "any more wine spill on the carpet than is absolutely unavoidable."

He seems pretty good at his job, though.

Dear Diary,

Apparently Hughes and the Regents lost the note saying that Austria was a part of the Coalition as well.

Uncle Benoit is more angry than I've ever seen him.

I had a nightmare last night, where I was riding a horse into battle and a Swiss guy hit me really hard with a halberd. Then the Habsburgs took all of the Low Countries and the Valois took everything else. Then I woke up.Uncle Benoit told me to not be scared, that the silly Deutschbags were too afraid to cross the Alps. I'm still kind of scared - they're Holy Roman Emperors, and I'm just a Grand Duke who can't stand still all the way through Mass.

Dear Diary,

Uncle Benoit and Laurent had another argument in that side room just off the main hall where they think I can't hear
them. Laurent was telling Uncle Benoit that he was a damn fool to be so worried, and that his visionary genius had saved the day again. Benoit was shouting something about how we were all lucky that blood was thicker than common sense.

I always knew that the kings of Aragon and Castille were my cousins, but apparently they take that seriously enough to tell three of the biggest nations in the world to go pick on someone their own size. France and Austria decided to take them up on it, and they lost. Badly.

For the first time since all of this started I don't feel scared anymore.

Dear Diary,

Today we found out that our army in Rouergue beat the Austrians, after my second cousin Lazzaro and three thousand men heroically held off a Portuguese army that would have been enough to send our army running all the way back to Amsterdam! That's really far away, it's a good thing my cousin is really cool or else we'd all be in a lot of trouble.

For some reason, I was the only person who wanted to go rescue my cousin, but after I threatened to send everyone in the room to bed without any dessert, they agreed to go reinforce the Aragonese.

Advisors are pretty cool a lot of the time, but sometimes you just have to put your foot down and make them do what they're told.

Dear Diary,

I own Dauphine now!

I always thought their banner was kinda cool, but Uncle Benoit said the extra tax money was more important than aesthetics, whatever those are.

Dear Diary,

The French just lost their last big army.

Uncle Benoit told me once that Caux is a province where history-changing battles happen a lot. He went there when he was young and told me he could smell it in the air.

Dear Diary,

We killed Karl Friedrich von Hapsburg! The regents told me this meant that I was the grandest Duke in Europe.

I would write more, but it's hard to think because everyone is drinking a lot, saying a lot of bad words about "the Deutschbags" and singing "We'll hang Karl Hapsburg from a sour apple tree." Uncle Benoit told me this meant that the war was almost over. I hope he's write, because there's going to be a huge mess to clear up in the morning, and for once it won't be my fault.

"Looking good!"

"...are you talking about the map, Moe, or just stroking your own ego?"

"I can do both!"

"So now we occupy all France, then march on Vienna, right?"

"Well, we're out of reinforcements, and we've got the Coalition on the back foot. I think we ought to be considering what kind of peace deal we can cut with them."

"We can get Calais."

"Alright."

"And a fairly generous indemnity."

"That's more than I thought we could pull at the start of this whole thing, to be sure."

"I want Orleanais."

"Phillippe, the adults are talking."

"Yeah, and I've been listening. You said the Cow...Cowl...Coalition wrecked my Duchy for the next ten years. That's not fair!"

"...it really isn't, but life isn't fair, mon Duc."

"Now Benoit, I think Duke Phillippe has the right idea. What are they gonna do, form a coalition against us?"

The two men share a hearty laugh.

"Calais, Orleanais, Cash Money! Great. I'll go make Hughes turn this into a fifty-page treaty."

"And I want them to admit they're all a bunch of big doodoo heads."

"Sorry?"

"Now, Laurent, Moe, Frisé...we worked hard, we might as well throw a party, right?"

One temper tantrum and two weeks of hasty preparation later...

The Grand Ducal Hall was filled to capacity. Courtiers, noblemen, and a handful of prosperous merchants willing to pay good money to see the show of a lifetime jostled with one another for the best viewing angles. At the end of the room, young Duke Phillippe was seated on the official Grand Ducal Extremely Comfortable Chair that Definitely Isn't a Throne.

At the other end of a long scarlet carpet stood three men. On the left was Sir William Cumberland, Commander of Richard III's Grand Army of England, representing Tricky Dick at the ceremony. It was generally understood that it was either this or the chopping block for him after losing 14,000 men on the fields of Picardie and outside the gates of Calais. Next to him stood Wilheim Franz I von Hapsburg of Aachen, who, despite not having fought in this war, had been ordered by his Austrian and Hungarian counterparts to go embarass himself in public on their behalf. On the far right was

"We're big doo-doo heads," they said in unison. "We pick our noses in public, then eat our own boogers. We have more cooties than anyone else in Europe. We're all wearing fuzzy pink underpants right now. We love to smell our poop. Sometimes we wet our beds at night, then lie about it. Our mommies still make us hold their hand when we cross the street."

Dear Diary,

Maybe being Duke isn't so boring after all. Tonight was the funniest night of my life, and all because I ordered it! Also, because a bunch of my guys killed a bunch of their guys, but Uncle Benoit said that I shouldn't think too much about that.

So I won't! Instead I'll think about a story one of the merchants told me at the banquet tonight - that when parents in the Ottoman Empire try to scare their children into eating their vegetables, the kids turn around and tell the parents that if they don't stop, the Duke of Burgundy will lead his army to their doorstep and force them to eat all the vegetables themselves!"

It doesn't get cooler than that, and Uncle Benoit told me it probably wouldn't.

Last edited:
So your peasants' war ended (thankfully)? Ironman games are compressed, so this is the reason why there was just glibberish.

Having a somehow bloodlusty 4-shock general certainly helped a lot in that conflict. Even if the enemy managed to read the duc's nightmare and sent an all-infantry army to fight in Rouergue - bad for them that Philippe didn't lead the army. And good incorporation of the soldiers of the end battle screen :p

Those damn Habsburgs still managed to make an imperial reform right after the humiliating peace deal !

The puns, the puns!

My sides hurt XD

Also what was the point of taking Orleanais (OOC)