Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I haven't asked anyone at Paradox about Victoria 3 in about 8 months (thought it may not fell like that to you), so here it is:

Who has the ultimate say on whether and when V3 gets made? Is it Shams? Johan? Fred? Susanna?

Thankfully, we nowadays have removed such (immense) power from the fingertips of single person. We now have a process with multiple smartypants involved. It (roughly) looks like this.

1: Someone puts forth an idea
2: I help vet/develop the idea - is it a Paradox game, will it make money, is it fun, does it gel with where we're headed, will the forumites like it etc etc - lots of smart questions.
3: Others give the thumbs up.
4: A small team creates a proof of concept.
5: We play the proof of concept - if fun we go to step 6 - if not -back to step 1.
6: Full production.

The question is - Rome 2, Victoria 3, Gettysburg 2, Magicka 3, CK 4, EU5, Cities in Space 6, Stalin Vs Martians HD 7 , Queen Arthur 8 and Nights of Pen & Paper 9 - where are they in the process?

Kidding aside. A lot of games get to step 1&2 - few make it to 3, fewer to 4.

/shams

Thankfully, we nowadays have removed such (immense) power from the fingertips of single person. We now have a process with multiple smartypants involved. It (roughly) looks like this.

1: Someone puts forth an idea
2: I help vet/develop the idea - is it a Paradox game, will it make money, is it fun, does it gel with where we're headed, will the forumites like it etc etc - lots of smart questions.
3: Others give the thumbs up.
4: A small team creates a proof of concept.
5: We play the proof of concept - if fun we go to step 6 - if not -back to step 1.
6: Full production.

The question is - Rome 2, Victoria 3, Gettysburg 2, Magicka 3, CK 4, EU5, Cities in Space 6, Stalin Vs Martians HD 7 , Queen Arthur 8 and Nights of Pen & Paper 9 - where are they in the process?

Kidding aside. A lot of games get to step 1&2 - few make it to 3, fewer to 4.

/shams

Interesting. I've often wondered how the process works

Pweh, I was nervous you were going to ask stupid or rhetorical questions.

Shams as the most 'modern' person at Paradox, do you find the company is innovative by nature, or cautious by nature, about new technology, business practises etc?

Great questions. What the hell is kdern btw ;)

We're conservative in most respects, innovative in others.

Clearly, being a premium price, PC mainly, old skool genre focused we're clearly conservative. Very little of that free to play, Facebook, social, new genre stuff that everyone else is chasing.

Besides the fact that we're 98% digital a large part of Paradox is very 1999. Then again oldskool is "in".

On the other hand we're innovative we we're doing stuff with the old model that few others are - our DLC model for instance. Similarly we try to break new ground with our other IP - Magicka, knights of pen and paper both rely on tested mechanics, but explore them in a Fredh/innovetive way.

Internally we're always challenged to find a good balance - you have to be bold and change or you die - without losing your base. Very few old skool premium model publishers have managed the transition. Fred and myself are risk takers, we have people who (thankfully) temper our zeal. We've done some crazy things over the years, maybe too crazy.

Regarding technology - as say this despite my formal training we an engineer - technology is the spawn of satan. It is merely a means to an end - good gameplay. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either delusional or a programmer. We use every conceivable shortcut to avoid doing unnecessary techie stuff.

//s

Great questions. What the hell is kdern btw ;)

We're conservative in most respects, innovative in others.

Clearly, being a premium price, PC mainly, old skool genre focused we're clearly conservative. Very little of that free to play, Facebook, social, new genre stuff that everyone else is chasing.

Besides the fact that we're 98% digital a large part of Paradox is very 1999. Then again oldskool is "in".

On the other hand we're innovative we we're doing stuff with the old model that few others are - our DLC model for instance. Similarly we try to break new ground with our other IP - Magicka, knights of pen and paper both rely on tested mechanics, but explore them in a Fredh/innovetive way.

Internally we're always challenged to find a good balance - you have to be bold and change or you die - without losing your base. Very few old skool premium model publishers have managed the transition. Fred and myself are risk takers, we have people who (thankfully) temper our zeal. We've done some crazy things over the years, maybe too crazy.

Regarding technology - as say this despite my formal training we an engineer - technology is the spawn of satan. It is merely a means to an end - good gameplay. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either delusional or a programmer. We use every conceivable shortcut to avoid doing unnecessary techie stuff.

//s

Have you, personally, reached the point yet where a new media platform/app/network etc has come to your attention and you've thought "forget this, I'm too old to bother working this out"? I have, with snapchat

-Admin Edit for language

Have you, personally, reached the point yet where a new media platform/app/network etc has come to your attention and you've thought "forget this, I'm too old to bother working this out"? I have, with snapchat

I've had the same experience with Snapchat - 12 year-olds are like "Instagram - what are you like 22?"

Streaming game services like Gaikai and Onlive are also franky, for me personally, very "ain't nobody got time to figure that shit out". But I have tinkered a lot with VR.

If anyone has any sensible - and I mean sensible - idea for using VR in a grand strategy game - let me know.

/shams

I've had the same experience with Snapchat - 12 year-olds are like "Instagram - what are you like 22?"

Streaming game services like Gaikai and Onlive are also franky, for me personally, very "ain't nobody got time to figure that shit out". But I have tinkered a lot with VR.

If anyone has any sensible - and I mean sensible - idea for using VR in a grand strategy game - let me know.

/shams

Victoria Revolutions? Yeah I got a f- oh, wait. You meant Virtual Reality. No, there are none. Unless you're going to remake Diplomacy.

I gravitated towards your grand strategy stuff because I like Geopolitics. Do ya'll have interests in Geopolitics?

If you're favourite part of history is the future do you personally have the desire to create a game set in the furure? What i mean is an open ended colonization game. From whaqt I've read about Ancient Space it's story driven which I suppose may not mean scripted, but that's what story driven brings to my mind.

Hmm, I guess I can answer non-business questions like this now.

So what table top games do the fine folks at Paradox play?
I was recently introduced to Munchkins. Lots of fun.
I'm also rather partial to Citadels. Highly recommended.

(Both of those are technically card games, but close enough)

Hmm, I guess I can answer non-business questions like this now.

I'm also rather partial to Citadels. Highly recommended.

(Both of those are technically card games, but close enough)

I own Munchkin Zombies. Great fun :D.

I am thinking of buying the Adventure Time set to mix with my Zombies

If you were to try to get a job as an environment artist, what would you like to see in your portfolio?

For paradox in general it is very good to have multiple talents, being able to make both characters and environments is almost required.

What PDS does is sort of special with our map games. Everything in PDS games are very small.
So if you want to trailer a work sample for us. Doing miniature cities, castle. Anti aircraft guns, harbor, radar stations etc.
Environment texture with breakdowns. Of diffuse, normals and specular textures. Specifically texture that would be suitable for a world map.

But we want artist that are inventive and can adapt. Most new artist at paradox learn a lot the first year and do thing they have not really done before, or in a way they have not done it before.

How many Munchkin games (and expansions) was involved? I think I have 10.

I'd really love to know what language the metal version of "The Battle Of Lepanto" from the Guns, Drums and Steel DLC is in... There have been multiple discussions about this and apparently no one has figured it out yet. Is it a made up language?