• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.

Titan79

War is over! if you want it
48 Badges
Sep 11, 2005
  • Victoria 2: Heart of Darkness
  • Europa Universalis III Complete
  • Majesty 2
  • Europa Universalis IV: Res Publica
  • Victoria: Revolutions
  • Rome Gold
  • Sengoku
  • Sword of the Stars
  • Supreme Ruler 2020
  • Victoria 2
  • Victoria 2: A House Divided
  • Heir to the Throne
  • Warlock 2: The Exiled
  • 500k Club
  • Mount & Blade: Warband
  • Crusader Kings II: Way of Life
  • Pillars of Eternity
  • Crusader Kings II: Horse Lords
  • Crusader Kings II: Conclave
  • Achtung Panzer
  • Crusader Kings II: Reapers Due
  • Crusader Kings II: Monks and Mystics
  • Crusader Kings II: Jade Dragon
  • Darkest Hour
  • Hearts of Iron II: Armageddon
  • Cities in Motion
  • Crusader Kings II
  • Crusader Kings II: Charlemagne
  • Crusader Kings II: Legacy of Rome
  • Crusader Kings II: The Old Gods
  • Crusader Kings II: Rajas of India
  • Crusader Kings II: The Republic
  • Crusader Kings II: Sons of Abraham
  • Crusader Kings II: Sunset Invasion
  • Crusader Kings II: Sword of Islam
  • Arsenal of Democracy
  • Deus Vult
  • Europa Universalis III
  • Europa Universalis III: Chronicles
  • Divine Wind
  • Europa Universalis IV
  • Europa Universalis IV: Conquest of Paradise
  • Europa Universalis IV: Wealth of Nations
  • Europa Universalis IV: Call to arms event
  • For The Glory
  • Hearts of Iron III
Hi!

I believe more or less every CK2 player has at least once run into the problem of not being able to remember anymore why did he/she mark some character as one of "special interest". The response from the player is to normally kill him/her and, while under most circumstances this was the real reason to mark the person, it might not always had been the case ;) .

So, if this suggestion would be enabled, this problem would be gone forever. All it would take is to add a small new icon, clicking on which would open a standard text editor window where the player might then write down a few lines about the reasons which led to mark the character.

At that point, it would be enough to click on that scroll again to immediately remember that you actually DIDN'T want to kill him/her, but just wanted to see if e.g. he managed to get a certain title...

---> Also, as correctly noted by riknap and other users: to prevent save game bloating, the notes could be limited to around 255 characters per person - and the notes themselves could get automatically deleted after e.g. 5 years since that character's death.

How it might look in game (edit: a better looking version of the text window can be found below - see post #14):

UgPv1Bz.jpg

P.S.: for those wondering, the scroll icon comes from For the Glory/EU2 ;)

Last edited:
This is one of the few games where I think I would actually USE a function like this. There are so many things I end up forgetting that well...kinda bite me in the ass later because I forgot them.
I used the notepad in EVE all the time, it was a handy tool.

You know what? While I'd definitely use it, I tend to remember why I marked someone (either big ruler, good stats or strong/genius/attractive. That or some other reason.)

I'd like one. I'm not sure where to put it, though I'm not so thrilled at another icon on the portrait screen.

Yes, please. Especially since I often play one game over multiple weekends and forget who anyone is.

this is definitely something they could implement indeed, though this would require they rewrite the code that handles saving of info.
that said, it'd be nice though if they add a limit of something like 255 characters only, else save files would bloat indefinitely.

this is definitely something they could implement indeed, though this would require they rewrite the code that handles saving of info.
that said, it'd be nice though if they add a limit of something like 255 characters only, else save files would bloat indefinitely.

Couldn't people just limit themselves by writing less?

Couldn't people just limit themselves by writing less?
if that were the case, then there wouldn't have been a need for Ironman mode then :p

It would be nice to have. Even though I haven't run into the problem of not being able to remember why I marked character as one of special interest. This is because Imostly use the marking thing to list my dynasty member who rules other realms so that I can follow them easier (because there isn't facebook/twitter in CK2). Sometimes I mark underage characters which I'm thinking to marry but I want them to grown up so I can see their traits, stats and portraits before marrying them.

Thanks all for the feedback!

Also, @ riknap: yes, I definitely agree that it must be kept at a rather low character limit (255 or even a bit less) to avoid cramming the game with too much data.

Could be useful. I don't alt-tab out of the game to take notes these days (too much hassle/risk given the amount of graphical processing involved), but I end up taking notes on paper.
Hmm, taking notes on paper is something I did (and do) for other Paradox games, but I would find it extremely unconvenient in CK2. By contrast, having that little tool by the person you're willing to mark would save a lot of time for the player and make things all the more clear in many situations.

You know what? While I'd definitely use it, I tend to remember why I marked someone (either big ruler, good stats or strong/genius/attractive. That or some other reason.)
I'd like one. I'm not sure where to put it, though I'm not so thrilled at another icon on the portrait screen.
Not everyone can remember the reasons which led him to mark any single character during a playthrough, but if you can and thus don't want/need to use this feature, then fine :) .

Such a small button in the interface wouldn't do any harm, IMHO - on the contrary, it would appear as a blessing for many people (including myself).

As a last observation, the "parchment editor" could be made more CK2esque in its looks by e.g. using the standard paper background for events, etc. Here's an example:

sKitB1x.jpg

(thanks to LACKADAISICAL for the inspiration :D )

Great idea. I'd like notepads in all my games. I'd especially love the ability to make your own notes in The Elder Scrolls games. I'd love to make my own little notes in Skyrim for role playing purposes.

Not really sure what I'd use them for in CK2 though?

Great idea. (...)

Not really sure what I'd use them for in CK2 though?
Well, setting aside the odd contradiction above, the use of this tool would be pretty straightforward: people mark characters for [insert any reason here] but, after some in-game months (or even years) have passed, they can forget why exactly did they do so, thus most often ending with unmarking the character(s) while wondering what was there of interest in them back then.

Now, this simple interface addition would act as a foolproof reminder of those reasons; nothing more, nothing less.

Well, setting aside the odd contradiction above, the use of this tool would be pretty straightforward: people mark characters for [insert any reason here] but, after some in-game months (or even years) have passed, they can forget why exactly did they do so, thus most often ending with unmarking the character(s) while wondering what was there of interest in them back then.

Now, this simple interface addition would act as a foolproof reminder of those reasons; nothing more, nothing less.

The fact that you're forgetting why you made them a "person of interest" means they're not a person of interest anymore. That's why I never bother to use that feature - I know it's pointless.

The fact that you're forgetting why you made them a "person of interest" means they're not a person of interest anymore. That's why I never bother to use that feature - I know it's pointless.
Not true, especially if you mark a dozen (or more) of them. Go ask other people and see if they'd consider that feature "useless" (hint: you've already got some answers in this very thread). And: the reason you never bother to use that feature is that it doesn't exist yet :p

More constructively: consider the following scenario. You mark a 6 years old kid as you want to see which traits he'll have as he hits 16; however, when the moment comes, you no longer remember whether it was that or you e.g. marked him because you wanted to marry him to one of your daughters. A basic example, but you get the idea.

Last edited:
I can think of tons of uses for this

"Note to self: this is your illegitimate daughter. Do not let anyone know if you give her a good tumble"
Fixed it for you. :D