Ask Paradox (almost) Anything Thread (no support/tech or code questions)

• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
what do you think of the 2.5 billion USD sale of Mojang (minecraft) to Microsoft?

It's great.

First off for Notch himself. Clearly he just wants to make fun games and not be a symbol or responsible for 7 year-olds being scammed by tricksters doing things in the name of Minecraft. His blog post was really good on the topic - http://notch.net/2014/09/im-leaving-mojang/ I urge everyone to check out the video he linked to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTUW-owa2w I wish him nothing but happiness in the future.

Secondly - it's great for Microsoft - name one other brand/IP that is bigger for 7-12 year olds currently? It's a great game with great sales and will keep on selling. Not to mention licensing and merchandise sales. They'll make the money back in no time.

Third - it's GREAT for the Swedish games industry - hopefully this'll result in a bunch of new game development companies/projects. Besides all the great PR for the game dev scene in sweden.

I think it's really easy to be cynical about this - but let's not. Having lunch with some Mojangstas tomorrow so I might update this post - but all in all it's great for everyone involved - including the fans.

/shams

wrong thread

edit
may as well ask something useful.

uh
can I see a picture of the break room?

can I see a picture of the break room?

Displayed prominently in lots of our videos, check out the videos of the 2013 fan gathering, The presentations were in the "kitchen".

Shy, introverted computer geeks. Who would have thunk it?

No, just Swedish :p

Swedish mostly, English when needed.

In the dev teams it's mostly swedish - publishing is 55% swedish 40% english 5% klingon.

Q'apla!

/shams

In the dev teams it's mostly swedish - publishing is 55% swedish 40% english 5% klingon.

Q'apla!

/shams
Who speaks Klingon?

Marketing and PR question regarding India.

I recalled a discussion once about the indian market that began by an indian forum member asking about indian localisation for a game.
In the end i remember suggesting Paradox might release some small game or an indian specific DLC once and see how it sells and if numbers are high enough, a localisation might be affordable for Paradox,
even though most potential customers will speak english anyway and there are several local languages in India. At least that's about how far i remember it.

Some year or so later the "Rajas of India" DlC for CK2 gets released.
Now the question.

Did you go crazy on doing promotion for the CK2 DLC in the indian market (no idea what kind of media that actually implies) ?

If so what did you do and if not why ?
Also, any idea if the DLC sold there in proper numbers ?
Cheers,

Aard

Thanks for your question! We are still a fairly slim organization, in particular looking at our global reach, and as such we tend to focus in the areas where most of our fans/players are based. Digital distribution has made it possible for us to be available worldwide, that's one of the reasons we've pushed so hard for it and prioritized it. However, creating distribution channels and localized versions for specific territories still requires quite a bit more resources and work for an organization like ours. Without going into too many details, those decision are made based on perceived demand, available distribution platforms and potential return of investment etc. India has not been a specific focus area for us and our sales data also indicate that the market share for us currently is very, very, very small.

Regarding marketing and allocated marketing spend, we tend to follow the same approach. Focus the majority of our efforts and budget where we know we can reach a larger # of our games/our target audience. There are variations between games and genres ofc.

Kind regards
Susana

Marketing and PR question regarding India.

I recalled a discussion once about the indian market that began by an indian forum member asking about indian localisation for a game.
In the end i remember suggesting Paradox might release some small game or an indian specific DLC once and see how it sells and if numbers are high enough, a localisation might be affordable for Paradox,
even though most potential customers will speak english anyway and there are several local languages in India. At least that's about how far i remember it.

Some year or so later the "Rajas of India" DlC for CK2 gets released.
Now the question.

Did you go crazy on doing promotion for the CK2 DLC in the indian market (no idea what kind of media that actually implies) ?

If so what did you do and if not why ?
Also, any idea if the DLC sold there in proper numbers ?
Cheers,

Aard

ck2 is my favourite game. My question is: Are you planning in the near future to fix the problem with genetics by mixed culture portraits or in some other way? My frankish king has two children with nubian women. One child has turkish portrait and another has nubian. Can I hope it will be fixed in the near future with some dlc?

Hi. I am new here. I've just written my first AAR for Crusader Kings 2. Can anybody guide me on how I can share it? Would be much obliged.
Firstly I did answer you in the FAQ thread, secondly don't ask the same question in different threads---expecially if it is spam. Thirdly neither this thread nor the FAQ thread is the proper place to ask that question.
Fourthly here is the answer I gave in the FAQ thread:
Register your game and then post it in the AAR sub forum.

Sorry for committing so many offenses! And thank you for the answer. Although, "ask almost anything" seems to cover "anything" don't you think? As i said, I am new, so I did not know that "anything" does not mean everything. Sorry again, and thank you for the answer. In both places.