• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XI

Island Hopping

Though the Eastern borders were somewhat pacified, the Reconquista was far from over. Half of Cyprus was still held by the infidels while the island of Krete was occupied by Iberian pirates. With that in mind, the Imperial Fleet was sent to the newly re-conquered city of Antioch, where upon arrival the Imperial Legion embarked. It was a short journey to Famagusta, the battle and siege against the infidels even shorter.

2014-07-01_00080_zpsba6011d8.jpg

2014-07-01_00082_zpsa8c29e67.jpg

2014-07-01_00083_zpseb350071.jpg

2014-07-01_00084_zps5934ddac.jpg

2014-07-01_00086_zps16bd994c.jpg

As the war to liberate Cyprus came to a close, I received letter that Helena was in need of a tutor. Being far too occupied with the Reconquista, I sent a letter to the Patriarch of Antioch to ask if he could take care of her in my stead.

2014-07-01_00087_zpsd6a1dda6.jpg

Not too long after the destruction of the Infidel Cypriot Armies, the Emir of Cyprus sent me the terms of his surrender where upon relinquishing of his titles, he requested that he be granted safe passage as he retreated to his homeland, where ever it may be.

2014-07-01_00089_zps69ed6a39.jpg

2014-07-01_00090_zps129ee995.jpg

With Cyprus fully restored, we set sail to for Krete. It took longer than a month of sailing to finally reach Krete, where upon landing on the Western portion of the island, there were reports of a thousand soldiers on the other side. After quickly establishing a base of operation, we marched towards the Eastern portion of the island.

2014-07-01_00092_zps368e2ee5.jpg

2014-07-01_00093_zps816e3f44.jpg

2014-07-01_00100_zps5c50655e.jpg

Though we outnumbered the enemy nine to one, I could tell that the soldiers were tense. The soldiers have been marching, sailing, and fighting since the Reconquista began while the enemies were very well rested throughout the whole endeavour. Not only that, the pirates fighting style were rumoured to have made each one of them worth ten ordinary soldiers, like some kind of desecrated Spartans. Though the soldiers of the Empire were not to be taken lightly, these men were tired and seasick, yearning to go home to their families. I too wanted to go see my family, but I had a duty to perform and so did these men. This was not just for some territorial reclamation nor trying to fulfil a legacy of old. No, this was much more than that, this was our duty to God to restore what is right against the false believers. It was one of many steps to bring about the Kingdom of Heaven to Earth so that all of God's creation may prosper.

“My Liege, the enemies have been sighted on that hill in front of us!”

I looked forward to see that an army only a fraction of ours sitting on a hill placing our own positions in a disadvantage.

“Close the gap between us and them, and have everything in position. Show these pirates that true Romans do not run from barbarians.”

“Yes, My Lord. Archers and skirmishers at the ready! All units, double time!!!”

2014-07-01_00103_zps964f9719.jpg

“Cavalry Commanders, take the flank. Where down the infantry with missiles and rout the enemies by breaking their formation.”

The Battle at Lassithi raged, and though we were at a disadvantaged position, the skillful commands of the leaders and the bravery of every soldiers meant there would be little casualties. As I lead the vanguard, we managed to capture several Captains while their troops fled the field.

2014-07-01_00105_zps4708d6ec.jpg
2014-07-01_00106_zps54249838.jpg

“Chase them down, kill them all, leave none of them alive!”

2014-07-01_00104_zpsadaacabf.jpg

With their armies slaughtered, it was only a matter of time before the defenders of their headquarters were forced to surrender to the invading force.

2014-07-01_00110_zpsf6d289b3.jpg

With that, the island of Krete was liberated.

2014-07-01_00111_zps58e03e86.jpg

Though the Reconquista was far from done, it was time for an interlude so that soldiers could go home and recuperate. When I returned home, I saw my eldest son, Constantine, a grown man now. During my absence, he seemed to have gained a great interest in military tactics and strategies where he would ask me to take him also the next time I go on a campaign.

2014-07-01_00109_zps25a84128.jpg

Having sent all the soldiers home, it was time to get into the administrative aspect of the Empire. The Reconquista so far resulted in the recovery of several provinces, meaning there were many job vacancies. As such, I decided to scout out for some talented individuals whom I wished to give a sudden promotion like I was by my predecessor.

2014-07-01_00112_zpse4ee0d5b.jpg
2014-07-01_00113_zpsfb90873a.jpg
2014-07-01_00114_zpsf2e76d9d.jpg
2014-07-01_00115_zps9efcc78e.jpg
2014-07-01_00116_zps1d946a34.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XII

Donations, Gifts, Titles, and Skirmishes

Once things started to become peaceful, the internal politics once again became clamorous. There were dissent among the aristocracy as some questioned the legitimacy and the wisdom of the Reconquista. Of course, it was nothing out of the ordinary in terms of Byzantine politics. Eastern Rome was known for its political intrigues ever since Byzantium was re-founded and renamed, but that was the cost of having a civilised world. Fortunately, the solution to these problems were not too difficult. Small gifts and titles ought to quieten down some disgruntlement while not being to costly to the Empire at large.

2014-07-01_00117_zpsacf8752e.jpg

2014-07-01_00118_zps52cdc438.jpg

Not everything was about bribery and corruptions however. Whether it was due to the war or simply the ingenuity of Roman citizens, technological advances were made where we could get better equipments as well as fund researches to even further the technological advancements.

2014-07-01_00119_zpsd28e25eb.jpg

Although the main Legions were sent home, some of the military governors decided to continue the Reconquista despite the interlude. Whether it was zeal or personal greed, it mattered not, what was important was that lost territories were reclaimed. To make certain of a Roman victory, I decided to send in my own personal forces as well as any auxiliary forces I could muster.

2014-07-01_00120_zpsff05ccb8.jpg

As the quickly formed expeditionary forces marched to a rendezvous point, a special celebration needed to be held: Constantine's Wedding.

2014-07-01_00121_zps15eefe8b.jpg

Yes, my eldest son was getting married to the eldest daughter of Emperor Louis II. It was a proud moment for a father to see his son climb towards manhood.

As the expeditionary force grew, so did the need to appease the various governors. As such small donations were once again required.

2014-07-01_00123_zps69ad8d54.jpg

This was affecting the Imperial Treasury, and I began to wonder on what needed to be done to replenish the coffers. Then I had an idea. Since the previous series of wars filled up the dungeons of Constantinople, it was time to send them home... For a price.

2014-07-01_00124_zpsdc8c2585.jpg
2014-07-01_00125_zps38727f10.jpg
2014-07-01_00126_zps0ca527fb.jpg
2014-07-01_00127_zps41db4567.jpg

As the prisoners were being returned to their masters, some of the Greek Christians sought refuge under my care as they left their heretical masters. One of them, a woman named Rodanthe, was rather friendly towards me.

2014-07-01_00130_zpsdbf8f7a0.jpg

Although she was not too bad looking, as a married man who has now put away his mistresses, I decided it was not an appropriate thing to do, lest I head towards the path of my predecessor. So I decided to look for a suitable bachelor who was looking for someone to marry.

2014-07-01_00133_zps4497eb0e.jpg

Once the expeditionary forces arrived, they marched towards Tarsos where upon there was a siege until the inhabitants surrendered to us. Not only did we manage to seize the castle, but we gained great military insight.

2014-07-01_00131_zpsa639f111.jpg

2014-07-01_00134_zps9179fc16.jpg

After marching for over a month, we encountered a small enemy force.

2014-07-01_00135_zps0c0b2b14.jpg

Though they had the advantage in terms of strategic placement, we had numerical supremacy thus annihilating them was just a matter of time.

2014-07-01_00136_zpse68c97c9.jpg

As the minor skirmish continued during the interlude of the Reconquista, I decided that the Imperial Steward, Doux Sisinnios, Thematic Governor of Cybirrhaeot, deserved recognition for his outstanding service even in times when he was accused of wrongdoing despite his innocence. This way, no disgruntlement will come from the Imperial Council as the aristocracy began to resent the heavy-handedness of my rule.

2014-07-01_00137_zps08f6667e.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XIII

A Large Skirmish or a Small War?

“But dad! I'm not a kid anymore, why do I have to get into trouble for such trivial matter!!!”

“Because Leo, choosing to beat a friend of yours for looking like a Iberian is an inappropriate thing to do.”

“He's not even my friend, besides he's hardly of noble birth.”

“Nor are we, though we may have lineage to the ancient Armenian kings. Regardless, as a Co-Emperor, you are expected to be fair and just, and because you have not acted according to your status you are being punished.”

“Screw you! I don't have to listen to you, you're not even my real-”

2014-07-01_00138_zpsddbe56ef.jpg

Before he could finish that sentence, I got my command baton and beat him to silence. That boy... He was becoming an arrogant little prick. Perhaps Michael really is his true father since they act so alike. Just the thought would put me in a rage, so before I did something I would regret, I called the Patriarch of Antioch into my office.

“Your Majesty, how may I be of your service?”

“Ah, Your Beatitude, it would seem that you are well adjusted to your new office. Though it may not be as comfortable as your previous position, I hope it is to your liking.”

“Of course, Your Majesty. I serve where I am needed, not to my liking. Besides, to serve at the city of Apostles is a great honour!”

“Excellent. Right, let me be frank my dear Photios. I have quite had it with my second son, in fact I am not even sure if he is my son. You know what Michael was like, though you two were indeed close, but you serve me now.”

“Of course.”

“As such, I would like to make a request, one which you may decline. Since I am always so busy, I would like you to be the guardian and tutor for my son, Leo, in my stead.”

“Oh sire, I am deeply honoured to be of your service. I humbly accept.”

“Good.”

2014-07-01_00139_zps82086187.jpg

As time went on, I went back and forth between the Imperial City and the front line of the skirmishes. Nothing of great interest occurred, though according to some bishops some people converted including an entire city.

2014-07-01_00140_zps9729765c.jpg
2014-07-01_00141_zpsd075ce15.jpg

Months flew by, and when the end of March came along we were once again on a siege against an enemy castle.

2014-07-01_00142_zps7ad00f3d.jpg

It did took some time, but in the end Teluch and Germanias were under our control.

2014-07-01_00143_zpsf4874cf9.jpg
2014-07-01_00144_zps8f91ff20.jpg

As the skirmish continued well into the middle of the year, a messenger arrived to inform me that the Provincial Governor of Panarmos had died without leaving a suitable replacement.

2014-07-01_00145_zps6012d78b.jpg
2014-07-01_00146_zps1df0d235.jpg

Short of good men, I had to ponder on what to do.

“Father, what seems to trouble you?”

I turned around to see my eldest son, Constantine. I had brought him with me for this minor campaign so that he could get some proper battlefield experience.

“Oh, nothing you need to worry my son. Just politics.”

“I see, well the soldiers are awaiting command. What are your orders, My Lord?”

That was when I realised something.

“Stand down for now. As for you, you are to head to the city of Panarmos. As of this moment, I hereby appoint you the Provincial Governor of that realm.”

“But father-”

“Not buts, just go and do as you are told and fulfil your duties as Co-Emperor. Make me proud son.”

2014-07-01_00147_zpsd4cfe91c.jpg

As I saw Constantine leave towards Sicily, my Captain informed me that some of our companies were annihilated by the enemy forces. Perhaps ordering for a stand down now was not such a great idea...

2014-07-01_00148_zps358ab0c6.jpg
2014-07-01_00149_zps0e5530ce.jpg

I returned to Constantinople to re-assemble our forces. There some of the Mayors had the audacity to complain about taxes. I was considering throwing out those greedy burghers out of my court, but decided against it. Since I had enough gold, I decided to give him some gold to shut him up.

2014-07-01_00150_zps29ccb724.jpg

As the skirmishes continued, the various battles went back and forth.

2014-07-01_00151_zps69f58676.jpg
2014-07-01_00152_zps8505eba6.jpg

It was at Tyana where we met the final enemy force. With just over two thousand troops against our three thousand and nine hundred, this minor skirmish quickly escalated to a full on battle. After two weeks of non-stop battle, we emerged victorious where more than half their numbers perished.

2014-07-01_00153_zpsec396e21.jpg

With that, this interlude war was over, though the Provincial Governor continued to wage his private war.

2014-07-01_00156_zpsd834bc51.jpg

As things finally started to settle down again, I decided it was time to part more responsibility to my son and heir, Constantine, where I appointed him the Thematic Governor of Sicily, ceding my authority of that area completely to him.

2014-07-01_00158_zpsa17e4f06.jpg

It was what the Ancients would be calling the Ides of February, the eight hundred and eighty second year of our Lord, when I ceded the island of Sicily to my son's Imperium and also the day I decided that I would go on a pilgrimage.

2014-07-01_00160_zpsd79d6317.jpg

Last edited:
Very entertainingly done! :) You manage to combine the screenshots and narrative nicely and I love the character touches (Basil being continuously faithful, etc.) Let's see how this pilgrimage goes...

Chapter XIV

Road to Antioch

“Are we good to go?”

“We are almost ready, sire!”

As the palace servants were packing some of my things, the Ecumenical Patriarch, Timotheos intercepted me as I walked back to my office.

“Please, reconsider this!”

“What is there to reconsider, You All Holiness? Should you not be encouraging me rather than hindering me?”

“I am objecting for your own safety! The Muslims are hostile, now more so than ever with their civil wars!”

2014-08-11_00003_zpscb6315c6.jpg

He was right on that of course, Jerusalem, my intended destination was not exactly safe with a Turkish Beylerbey in open rebellion against the Abbasid Caliphate.

2014-08-11_00004_zps43a20b02.jpg

“Even more reason to go so! It is not just war we should excel at, but also peace! Is not our Lord called the Prince of Peace? What better way than to show them by example as a good Christian ruler!? I will go to Jerusalem, first thing tomorrow morning.”

“Your Majesty, I urge you to reconsider. Should something happen to you, the realm may destabilise with the aristocracy going into a panic.”

“Your All Holiness, I will say this for-”

“Your Majesty!”

I turned around to see a messenger rushing in.

“What is it? Can't you see that we are in the middle of something!?”

“I beg your forgiveness, Your Majesty. It is from His Beatitude, Photios, Patriarch of Antioch and All the East.”

“What does he want?”

“He says that it will be of great honour if His Majesty graces him on a pilgrimage to the ancient city of Antioch as he re-consecrates the city since its reclamation. As Your Majesty may already know, he is of advanced age and may not have long on this world, as such he humbly asks that he be allowed to bless His Majesty before being reposed to the Lord.”

Poor Photios, ever since he had to act as regent while then Ecumenical Patriarch Ignatios was comatose, he began to show signs of advanced age. Though they may have been rivals, having had each other deposed several times, they were quite fond of each other as they could respect each others faith. His death may have accelerated the already limited lifespan of Photios himself. After much thought, I simply let out a sigh.

“Very well, inform His Beatitude that I shall visit him soon. You win this time, Your All Holiness.”

2014-08-11_00001_zpsb858828c.jpg

Once everything was packed, I was off on my way to the city of Antioch. Though I would have much liked to go to Jerusalem, the danger was real and a personal request from a friend could not go unheeded, especially if that friend could die at any moment. While I was away, I decided to leave Constantine in charge, after all not only was he my son, but he was also the Co-Emperor.

2014-08-11_00002_zps2896255a.jpg

As I reached the gates of Constantinople, I had forgotten that I had promised my wife, Eudokia, that I would buy a new horse for her. Being in a hurry, I asked the local breeder what they had and after hearing the options I decided to pick the black one because it was faster to say so.

2014-08-11_00005_zps86e3bc26.jpg

I would later receive a message telling me how much she loved it.

We were around the forests of the outskirts of the Empire where we decided to set camp. Though this was a March area with infidel enemies across the borders, it was a popular spot for travellers to set camp and stay the night. Among them were some fellow pilgrims, quite large in number.

“Good evening, on a pilgrimage also are we?” asked one of the travellers in a strange dialect.

“Yes, off to see Antioch.”

“Oh really? So are we! Glad to here that the city was finally liberated from those Muslim heretics by that Greek King. Basileios was his name I think. Gave them a good beating or ten.”

“Yes, it is good indeed.” I was feeling mildly insulted by being referred to as a mere “king”, but decided to contain my anger.

“Wish we had a Greek ruling over us, that will be second best to being completely independent. You see, we are currently being ruled over by these Khazar barbarians. Once, they used to serve this pagan god called “Tengri”, but one day they decided to switch religion and next you know they're Jewish! Of all things, they decided to pick a religion which rejected the Messiah despite being the so-called God's chosen. Unbelievable I must say.”

“That is indeed strange. I never did understand the Steppe people.”

“Yeah, well at least the Slavs in your region chose the rational decision and chose Christ as their saviour. What's this? Where's all our food? Hey, Anbal! What happened to our reserves?”

“I don't know, do you have nothing left? Because, my reserves got cleaned out three days ago.”

“Oh darn, we're out of food. And we tried to ration as much as possible...”

As the pilgrims from distant land began to look gloomy from the prospects of hunger, I decided to do something about it.

“I have some bread and fish I could share if you don't mind them.”

“Really? You really don't have to, but if you could spare even just a little bit we will be so grateful.”

“Of course! Just give me a moment.”

I started to look through my backpack and to my horror I realised that I had completely over-estimated the amount of food I had left. Though enough to feed these people from far away land, there would none left for me and there was still a considerable amount of distance needed to be covered. Yet, I could not swallow my pride and admit to these people that I did not have enough food.

“It may not be much nor to your taste, but I do hope that you enjoy them.”

“Oh thank you very much! May the Lord bless you ten times over!!!”

“May the Lord bless you too.”

“Are you not joining us?” the traveller named Anbal inquired.

“No, I am quite fine. I already had a big meal prior you see, and as such am quite full.”

In truth, I was quite starving however I would much rather die of starvation than admit my mistake to these people.

2014-08-11_00006_zps2f84ddef.jpg

A fortnight had passed since then, and I was so famished that I thought I was hallucinating. Prior to this I had not done any fast as such was not used to going without eating. Before me stood a giant gate and quite a beautiful city before me. Perhaps it was the Golden Gate to Heaven? I guess it was time to confront God about my trespasses. That is what I thought until I was greeted by a gatekeeper who welcomed me in Greek: “Welcome to Antioch.”

2014-08-11_00007_zps78837368.jpg

As the travellers from the distant lands and I parted our ways so that we may worship God in our own ways, I went on my way to meet up with the Patriarch Photios, whom I promised to see. Despite being in advanced age, he was praying at the altar where upon seeing me he got up to greet me.

“Your Majesty! You look so thin and pale. Oh how pious of you to fast before your pilgrimage. However, it was not necessary Your Majesty, for you need to look after your health also.”

“I am fine Your Beatitude, let us go out and have this city consecrated.”

“Well, of course.”

After the consecration of the city was completed, the Patriarch asked me if I wanted to pray at the sacred altar. I of course, wanted to decline and go somewhere private to eat. However, once again, I could not since that would make me look weak.

I was feeling faint when I knelt down in front of the altar. I pretended to pray while I thought about what to eat. Whether it was the extreme hunger, I do not know, but at that moment I felt God himself speaking to me. It was as if the light of the Lord was shining through me showing me my past life and showing me what I had to do. The hunger pains, the regrets, guilt, all of it was washed away and for the first time in my life, I felt liberated.

2014-08-11_00008_zps1553d8fb.jpg

I had fasted for only half the time our Lord had during his temptation by Satan. If I managed a full forty days, would I have received twice the amount of blessing? These were the thoughts in my mind as I headed back to Constantinople. Though I wished to go to Jerusalem, Antioch was a true blessing. Perhaps next I shall go to Jerusalem?

2014-08-11_00009_zps98ae820c.jpg

As I reached the gates, Constantine greeted me.

“Father, welcome home.”

2014-08-11_00010_zpscc346b0a.jpg

With the revelation I received from the Lord, I prepared myself to enter the Senate floor. First, however, there was a matter of succession. Though I was healthy, I could never be too sure what could happen to my mortality. I had all my sons elevated to the rank of Co-Emperor, though this may allow for a smooth transition, it could very well plummet the Empire into a civil war should any of my sons contend the title as it has happened before during the Tetrarchy and post-Constantinian Empire. With that in mind, I established that the most senior Emperor shall reign as Basileius while the junior Emperors await their turn.

2014-08-11_00011_zpsc2ccbe11.jpg

As one could expect, it would not be a popular decision. Regardless, that was my decision and it was final. With that sorted, I went out into the Senate floor with my assistant.

“Members of the Senate, as you all know, the Reconquista is yet to be completed. We have a fragile peace in our time, but at what cost?”

“But Your Majesty, the Commanders are exhausted, the soldiers are exhausted, and the people are exhausted! Can we truly continue to pursue a military campaign? The Muslims have been peaceful so far, why can we not do the same? Are we not supposed to set an example as followers of the Prince of Peace?”

“I have not come to bring peace, but a sword! That is what the Lord said to his Apostles. It is true, our Lord Christ Jesus is the Prince of Peace, but look towards the east and the south. Do these Muslim infidels know what it means to be peaceful? When they are not slaughtering Christians or Jews, they fight amongst themselves. An entire dynasty was slaughtered in the name of their false religion and even know they continue this rampage to consume one another like an insatiable beast. You are absolutely correct, Senator. We should be setting an example to them, but since they cannot do it themselves, we must set an example by force!”

The militant faction of the Senate roared with enthusiasm. I had managed to convince the majority of the Senate that this war was not for conquest, but for peace. With that all said, I showed them the map and the various campaign plans.

2014-08-11_00012_zpsd6ce5a6e.jpg

“Senators, this is the world we live in. To our West, the children of Charlemagne remain divided though they insist on calling themselves the successors to Rome with Louis II even going as far as to call himself the Holy Roman Emperor.”

A loud boo came from the crowd.

“For the time being, we need to keep good relations with them. The island nations of Britannia, Caledonia, and Hibernia is ruled by various petty kings, most Christians, some Pagan, while in the former territories of Hibernia, the Kingdom of Asturia remains as the sole line of defence against the Umayyad Caliphate of Cordoba.”

“Those heretics!”

“To our north stands the treacherous Bolghars. They encroach on our lands and these damned Bulgarians seek to usurp our position as Romans where their King has the audacity to call himself Tsar.”

“Show them what we Romans are capable of!!!”

“To our south, we have the African Sultanate who claims to be successors to the once proud Carthage which if you remember tried to take Sicily from our possession, and at the same time the Egyptian Sultanate who claims to be the successors to the Pharaohs. As you can see, these Muslims are quite delusional.

Laughter erupted from the Senate.

“Finally, to our East, lies the various Muslim Emirates, as well as the heretical Armenians. The Iberians rule as Christians also, but they refuse to pay homage to us, as such cannot be trusted. However, should they engage the Jews and the Pagans to their north, we may need to assist them in their struggles. However, that is not our main concern. The Holy Lands still remain in infidel hands, though the governor of the lands are currently in open rebellion against their liege, the Abbasid Caliphate of Baghdad whom themselves have lost their capital. If we strike now we may reclaim what was lost, however we must beware the various states to East. The former mighty Sassanid Empire of Persia has fallen long ago only to be replaced by more Muslim Shahdoms. Though they are divided, they may pose a threat even greater than our once Persian nemesis.”

Murmurs could be heard as the members of the Senate began to mumble to themselves.

“With that, I have some proposals to the Senate. First, we can conquer these petty states from the Muslim Emirs to our immediate East. Second, we can attempt to intervene the rebellion to our immediate south and reclaim parts of the Holy Land. Third, we can attempt to subdue the Caliphate of Baghdad in Damascus to further dwindle their sphere of influence so that we may prolong the Reconquista. These are just some ideas I have. Senators, discuss and debate these matters amongst yourselves and come up with other plans if you must, I shall return in two days time where afterwards, we will have a vote on the appropriate matters. As the Senate is the representative of the people and the advisory body to the Emperor, I shall take your opinions into serious consideration.”

[Debate and Discussion may commence from this point onwards until: 15/AUG/2014, 13.00UTC]

Last edited:
Debate and Discussion Closed.

With the Senate silent, the only ideas on the table are the ones proposed few days ago. These are the options:
  1. Continue the Reconquista on Asia Minor, chasing out the Minor Emirs.
  2. Take advantage of the civil war in the Caliphate and reclaim parts of the Holy Land.
  3. Wage a World War against the Caliphate while they are fighting amongst themselves and claim supremacy in the Mediterranean.
  4. Do a combination of the First and Second.
  5. Take on the Greens (Second and Third).

Senators, cast your votes!

[Voting ends: 21/AUG/2014, 13.00UTC]

Last edited:
Senator Romanos Phokas rises, a thin, nervous looking man from Trebizond.

"I vote we empower his Majesty to drive the infidels from the Holy Land!"

[OOC: I vote for option 2.]

Zenobios Pastillas, a shriveled, ancient representative of Rhodes, stands up, coughing quietly before speaking to the Senate.

"Brothers, we must not forget that as it stands, the Caliph could end this civil war and sweep over Asia Minor. Now is the time to force them back, and remove the Emirs that have settled as so-called rulers that dare proclaim or compare themselves in any way to the Basilesus!"

(1, in case you're wondering)

Pyrros Pegonites, middle-aged senator of Cyprus stands.

"I must agree with Senator Pastillas. If we take action without a more stable powerbase, we will easily exhaust ourselves attempting to fight off the Mohameddans once their civil war ends. We should reclaim Armenia which, if I may remind you, is where our Emperor's family descends from. The Arabs are currently too distracted to interfere thus this is the perfect time to strike."

(Option 1)

A relatively young senator from the Peloponnes, Dionysios Vadranas, rises from his seat. An ambitious man from low origins, he admires the Basileus' rise to power and expects great things from the recent developments.

'We must not forget that this is our chance to strike not only once, but twice. We can deliver hard blows to the Caliphate, so that it will be unable to help the minor Emirates, and we can push our borders closer to the Holy City. It is a bold move, but our soldiers are experienced enough to take that hurdle. We have to profit now, such a chance won't present itself twice. If we succeed... No, I mean when we succeed, the doors to Asia Minor and the Holy Land will be wide open.'

(Option 5)

Belisarios Strategopulos, an 18 year old Senator from the Duchy of Athens who exhibits a vast amount Loyalty to the Basileus, rises from his seat.

"My Fellow Senators we must take immediate action in order to meet the threat of the Muslims leaders in the East. It is imperative that we retake the parts of Asia Minor, so we can make sure that a Legacy for our Children lives on.

(Option 1)

Voting Closed.

The secret vote on the fate of the enemies of Rome has been cast and counted by the members of the Senate:
VotingResults1_zps255aae1f.png

Though not a clear majority, it was evident that the senators preferred the route of driving out the Infidel Petty States from Asia Minor than dealing with the Caliphal Empire in Arabia. Some brave senators spoke out in favour of a clear minority opinion though none could fathom the thought of a prolonged war in any shape or form without a long-term goal. No matter the reason, no one thought wars were inherently a good thing.

[After-Action Reports will now resume]

Last edited:
Chapter XV

The Eye of the Storm

It would seem that the Senate could not come up with a unified plan, whether it was fear or apathy, no one had the courage to speak their mind. So I gave them five different policies on dealing with our neighbours as well as the associated battle plans. Only a handful of Senators openly advocated for the policy they supported with even one brave Senator openly endorsing a policy which most if not all the Senators regarded as being borderline insane.

Once all the votes had been cast and tallied, most of the members of the Senate preferred a safer route of reclaiming Asia Minor and pushing out the Muslim Emirates while the other policies gained very little support with one even gaining none. With that, I declared my intention to see this policy through in the name of the Senate and the People of Rome.

Once I had arrived back in my palace, I gathered my advisers to assess the situation in the East. The Principality of Armenia, a nominal vassal to the Abbasid Caliphate down south, was ruled by Monophysite heretics, or Miaphysite as they liked to call themselves. Their current ruler, Prince Ashot IV was currently in a defensive war against one of the Emirs of the region.

2014-08-23_00001_zps6d848f48.jpg

North of him in Iberia, the Kingdom of Georgia, was ruled by his distant cousin, King Bragat. Unlike Prince Ashot, King Bragat had the correct understanding of Christ, not having fallen into the Monophysite or Miaphysite heresy. Though trying to contribute towards the war his cousin was embroiled in, he too was in a defensive war against an Iranian Emir to his east.

2014-08-23_00002_zps95a61b53.jpg

Once the assessment was over, I announced the will of the Senate as well as my intent to follow it.

“Councillors, the Senate has passed a resolution to further reclaim lost territories and as we speak now are approving my plan to increase the budget for our upcoming campaign. Since I would like to make our move as soon as possible, I would ask that each one of you prepare some reports regarding the current situation as well as plans to move past any issues we may have.”

One of the council members stood up and replied to my announcement.

“With all due respect, Your Majesty. The Reconquista to reclaim lost Imperial territories have been a lot more costly than we have anticipated. Even now the Thematic Governors have reported that the various supplies have been depleted and that various cities are now under careful rations. Demanding more may result in a revolt.”

2014-08-23_00003_zps0b47f3ea.jpg

“On top of that, Your Majesty, we are currently lacking in able bodied men to serve in the Imperial Legion. Thousands of men have lost their lives and it will take some time before we can replenish our ranks.”

This time it was one of my Generals.

2014-08-23_00004_zps97921811.jpg

Containing my anger at their insolence, I let out a sigh.

“Councillors, you forget that the Reconquista is far from over and a little interlude did not mean an end to it. As you are all wise members of the Imperial Council, it is only natural for you to be able to speak your mind even if you must disagree to what I say. However, your objection now is an insult to the principles of the Republic in that not only are you objecting to your Emperor, but also the will of the Senate and the People of Rome! I advise you my dear Councillors, to be cautious on how you present your objections next time. However, your concerns are duly noted, we need time to recover before we can continue on with the Reconquista, as such I shall relent and delay our campaign until our troop levels are replenished.”

A fortnight had passed since the meeting with my advisers when a messenger arrived.

“What is it?”

“Your Majesty, it is regarding His Beatitude Photios, Patriarch of Antioch and All the East.”

“What does he want now?”

“Last night, he drew his last breath.”

I looked up at the messenger from my desk.

“What!?”

“His Beatitude Photios has been reposed to the Lord.”

2014-08-23_00005_zpsc7ca7432.jpg

“I see. So that old geezer finally bites the dust. He shall be missed, he was a great shepherd. Despite his arrogance, he is someone I could call as my friend as well as my spiritual father. We shall arrange a state funeral for him in three days. Spread the word.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

With the Photios now dead, I had to find new tutors for Leo and Helena. Helena, I decided to have her tutored by my Sakellerios while Leo who still did not repent for his actions, I sent to a seminary in Herakleia where Bishop Gregory would personally supervise him.

2014-08-23_00006_zps9e0c3de6.jpg
2014-08-23_00007_zps2e562f37.jpg

After the funeral for the late Patriarch of Antioch was over, the Patriarchate of Antioch held a synod to elect a new Patriarch in his place. In the end, they elected a former treasury clerk who had a lot of anger issues as well as distrust of people in general.

2014-08-23_00008_zps0765d321.jpg

Once the new Patriarch, Belisarios was officially enthroned to the Throne of Saint Peter, I decided to personally travel to Antioch to congratulate him. After all, as a Defender of the Church, granting Imperial Grace was the least I could do. Just as I prepared to leave one of my chamberlains rushed towards me.

“My Lord! You must come quick!”

“What is it? Can't you see that I am busy?”

“It's His Highness, Alexander. He has collapsed in the dining hall.”

I quickly rushed back to the palace to see what was wrong. Once I arrived, the mood was very unsettling. The Imperial Physician looked towards me.

“Your Majesty, I have tried everything I could, but by the time I arrived there was nothing I could do. I am terribly sorry, Your Majesty.”

2014-08-23_00009_zps54ceb5a2.jpg

I walked over towards my boy, who I was pretty sure to be my second true son and not a bastard like his older brothers. I picked him up and held him in my arms.

“What happened?”

“It would seem that the injuries he received a few years ago have manifested into something more serious. It may have completely unbalanced the humours in his body.”

All of it was just medical jargon which I did not understand nor which I really cared for. My son was dead, and no amount of explaining would bring him back. I just wanted to cry out to the Lord on what I had done to deserve this.

“Leave us.”

Once everyone had left, I just sat there looking at a little body which was my own flesh and blood. I should have been there for him, but I made the excuse that I was too busy after taking care of his brothers. I had failed him as a father.

A fortnight later, we held a full state funeral for Alexander where I posthumously elevated him to the position of Co-Emperor. News came later that day that a Council member of a Bulgarian Count was doing some historical research along the border.

2014-08-23_00010_zps38db7f47.jpg

A few days later, I would learn that the dastardly Count was doing it to make forgeries linking his ancestors to one of the territories.

2014-08-23_00011_zps8d57b3e6.jpg

Not sure whether to angry or depressed, I went into my office to reflect on the events that have just transpired.

“Your Majesty, His Grace the Right Reverend Ioannikios of Comanagene requests an audience with you.”

“Very well then. Bring him in.”

I dismissed my chamberlain and had the Bishop of Comanagene into my office.

“What brings you to Constantinople, Your Grace.”

“Your Majesty, I must thank you for granting me audience. I am here regarding His All Holiness, Timothy II.”

“Yes, what about it?”

“Though I respect that position he holds as the President of the Bishops of Greece and Asia Minor, I find it disturbing that he be allowed to accuse me of heresy just because he disagreed with me.”

2014-08-23_00012_zps6878c882.jpg

“Oh, so he called you a heretic? On what grounds if I may ask, Your Grace.”

“It wasn't even theological, Your Majesty. It was a matter of ecclesiology, where expressed my opinion that it would be nice to have the Primus Inter Pares part of our glorious Empire to which he blurted out that the Empire already had a Primus Inter Pares. I corrected him of course, that the place of honour of Constantinople or Second Rome was second to that of the First Rome. At which he accused me of heresy and demanded that I repent or resign my office.”

“I see. I do agree with you that it would be wonderful to have Rome back under our control. I will talk to the Ecumenical Patriarch regarding this matter. You may return to Comanagene without any worries.”

“Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Soon afterwards, I sent a messenger to Hagia Sophia, to inform the Ecumenical Patriarch that he was to retract his statement and write a letter of apology to the Bishop of Comanagene. Something I was sure, he would not be too pleased about. He was a fool anyway, doing something so unnecessary.

Regardless, I decided to visit the Hagia Sophia the next day. Though a fool, Timothy was an Imperial Ecclesiarch being my personal Chaplain, thus a member of the Council. As I approached the Icon of the Theotokos, the Rector of the Church approached me asking me for a donation. I could not believe what he was asking of me, so I decided to scold him for such an insulting request.

2014-08-23_00013_zps464aaf81.jpg

As I left the Church in much anger, my son Constantine approached me.

2014-08-23_00014_zps133bdc72.jpg

Apparently, he thought that I was being rather unreasonable when I lost my temper. It did not matter, since I did not really care for what people thought. I returned to the palace, still in quite a bad mood when I saw Leo waiting for me.

2014-08-23_00015_zpsd4eb7e41.jpg

“Hello father, it has-”

“Right, so you're done with your schooling now. Okay then, since you are a man now, you will marry Eleanor of West Francia once she comes of age.”

With that I went into my chambers before he could speak another word.

Princess Eleanor was the eldest daughter of King Louis II of Aquitaine, also known as the Stammerer, due to his habit of stuttering every second word. Prior to his ascension to the throne of West Francia after the death of his father Charles the Bald, it seemed that Louis II embraced the local culture while he was Co-King in charge of Aquitaine.

2014-08-23_00017_zpsac92dcdc.jpg

I had a letter sent to him for arrangement of betrothal which he was all too happy to accept.

2014-08-23_00018_zps7d7055ba.jpg

Just as I received the letter which agreed to the betrothal, my chamberlain informed me that the ambassador from Middle Francia requested audience.

“Your Excellency, welcome to Constantinople.”

“I thank you for your hospitality, Your Majesty. I come with a message from His Majesty, Louis II of Italy and Middle Francia, and Holy Roman Emperor, and of course your very own son-in-law, requests that you accept the calls to arms against the pretender of Burgundy, Konrad, to reclaim the throne of Burgundy which rightfully belongs to His Majesty, Louis II.”

“Of course I will honour our alliance. Inform my son-in-law that Constantinople shall do what she can to assist the Western realms.”

2014-08-23_00020_zps465ee83c.jpg

As the Frankish ambassador left, I sent orders to have the troops on stand by. There will be war soon enough, but not in the West.

Last edited:
Poor Alexandros. :(

Belisarios does not seem much of a man of God!

Chapter XVI

Reconciliation and Redemption

“How are the preparations coming along?”

“Everything is going according to plan, father.”

2014-08-23_00025_zpsa60b5336.jpg

As my son Constantine recruited more men for the upcoming resumption of the Reconquista, my son Stephen returned home after finishing his studies in the local monastery.

“Father, I am home.”

2014-08-23_00026_zps98af0a22.jpg

“Welcome back Stephen. Now that you are man, I think it is time to think about your future.”

“Am I to join a monastery, father?”

“I thought about it, and though it sounds like a good idea for you to become a Hieromonk, I think in the end if you do end up in a Church career, it would be best for you to become a secular clergy. Of course, your status as a Co-Emperor with your brothers may mean that you may end up in politics instead. As such I am arranging a betrothal for you and Princess Engeltraud of East Francia.”

2014-08-23_00028_zps697293e7.jpg

“Father, everything is now in place.”

I looked over to see Constantine in full armour.

“I see. Excellent! I shall lead the armies myself, Constantine, I would like to you to stay behind here in the capital and take care of things while I am gone.”

“Yes father.”

“Now, let us resume our Reconquista!”

2014-08-23_00029_zpsfbdd2415.jpg
2014-08-23_00030_zpsa61f6eb1.jpg
2014-08-23_00031_zpsc61570ef.jpg
2014-08-23_00032_zps00ad1dc2.jpg

After donning my armour, I sent orders to all the Field Commanders across the Empire to rendezvous at Lykandos.

Once the main Imperial troops led by myself, arrived at Lykandos, the Ecumenical Patriarch Timothy II greeted me.

“Your Majesty, welcome to Lykandos.”

“Greetings, Your All Holiness, I thank your for your hospitality.”

“It was as if it was some divine providence, as you were arriving, I have heard reports from the local parishes, that their attendances went up. It was as if, the local populace has seen the truth for the first time!”

2014-08-23_00033_zpscfec8175.jpg

“That is good news!”

“Yes, it most certainly is. If I may, I would like to bless His Majesty before going off against the infidel hordes.”

“Most certainly.”

I was on my way to Antioch to intercept a large force of infidel troops when a messenger intercepted me.

“I apologise for interrupting your holy quest, Your Majesty. I am just here to inform you of His Highness, Leo's wedding with the Princess of West Francia.”

I had forgotten that today was my son's wedding day. Unfortunately, there was nothing I could do about it.

“Send my son a word of congratulations and that he may now assume duties as Caesar and Co-Emperor to his brother Constantine.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

2014-08-23_00034_zpsd9bc09e3.jpg

“Your Majesty!”

I turned around to see another messenger run up towards me.

“What news do you bring?”

“I come from Antioch, the holy city is under siege!”

2014-08-23_00035_zpse89cd60f.jpg

I called for the army under my direct command to move with haste while the rest of the forces were trying to reach the rendezvous point. It took a month worth of marching to arrive near the city where we encountered the army of the Emir of Tripoli.

“Commanders, get all units into position!”

“Yes, My Lord!”

With that my flanking commanders dispersed into their positions with their troops ready to attack at moments notice.

“Captain, have the skirmishes at the front and have the reserves follow up after the main attack. I shall lead the vanguard myself.”

“As you wish, sire.”

With my main retinue, I positioned myself while my Captain had the rest of the formation ready.

“On your count, Captain!”

With a bow, the good Captain positioned himself with the skirmishers composed primarily of archers.

“All units on my command! Archers up front! Ignite! Draw! Release!”

With that, thousands upon thousands of fiery arrows filled the sky and rained death upon our enemies as they tried to retaliate with the same tactic. After volleys of arrows flew back and forth, the heavily armed infantry units began to move forward to engage the enemy in a melee. This was my cue.

“All units! Charge!!!”

2014-08-23_00036_zps287d6488.jpg

The battle was clearly in our favour. Not only did we outnumber the enemy over five to one, but we were also far better equipped with our impenetrable Cataphract units. After much fighting, the battle was over, a result being a massacre of infidel soldiers.

2014-08-23_00037_zps4389c2a0.jpg

“Your Majesty, I bring you the Captain of the infidel regiment.”

2014-08-23_00038_zpsc4ec8ed0.jpg

“Good work, Captain. Have him chained up, he shall be of use later.”

“Yes, My Lord.”

As we began to march towards Palmyra, I received words that a certain Bulgarian Chancellor was asking for Imperial documents regarding the borders.

2014-08-23_00039_zps51e9f973.jpg

It would later turn out that another Bulgarian Count was fabricating a claim to it by saying it had ties to his ancestral home. I could swear those Bulgarians could not be trusted.

2014-08-23_00040_zps44dff321.jpg

As we arrived at Palmyra, I could see a familiar banner flying overhead.

“Your Majesty, Caliphal forces straight ahead!”

The Abbasid Caliph had reacted to my quest of a Reconquista and decided to join in to tamper my effort of doing the Lord's work. Though nothing we could not handle, it was not going to be easy. I called my commanders.

“Captains, same tactics as before.”

In unison, they replied: “Yes, My Lord.”

One of my Cavalry Lieutenants rode up towards me.

“Well, Your Majesty. This looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.”

“It sure is.”

2014-08-23_00041_zps52335a0c.jpg

“Allah Ackbar!”

Was a battle-cry that could be heard from miles away as the Arab infidels shrieked in the name of their false god.

“Do not falter! Do not give ground to the enemy!”

Just then a group of camel riders rushed towards me and knocked me off my horse. As I attempted to regain my posture an infidel soldier was upon me. As I saw my life flash before my eyes, blood spread across my face. When I opened my eyes, a familiar figure stood before me.

“Are you okay, father?”

I could not believe what I was seeing, it was my son Leo. Somehow he managed to sneak himself into one of the reinforcing company and join the fight.

“Leo! What in God's name are you doing here?”

“From all the events that have transpired, I figured that you were still disappointed in me. So I decided to join you here so that I could prove myself to you, that I am indeed your son.”

“Leo...”

“Father... About what I said- Father! Watch out!!!”

He grabbed me by my armour and threw me aside. When I looked back up, I could see a long curved sword, sticking out of Leo's back.

2014-08-23_00042_zpsfb6b9a40.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XVII

Cold Dish, Hot Action

“No!!!”

I quickly rushed towards the assailant and slashed his throat.

“Leo! Leo!!!”

No matter how loud I yelled, he would not respond. Leo was dead.

“Sire!'

I turned around to see my bodyguards whom I got separated from, form a defensive formation around me. Upon seeing the body of my son, they were stunned in silence, but could not take their attention away from their surroundings as the battle still raged on.

“Bring me my horse.”

As the battle raged chaos erupted as previously organised flanks and main vanguard merged into a complete frenzy. As I rode back into the main battle, I signalled my commanders to feint a rout, where upon the enemy decided to go on blind pursuit. Taking this opportunity, I ordered my heavily armoured mounted retinues to split into two groups and perform a pincer attack, which I would personally lead the left flank. As the enemy was too pre-occupied with their own chase, they did not anticipate any form of counter-attack. What resulted was a total annihilation of the enemy.

2014-08-23_00044_zpsa8fa5912.jpg

Once the dust had settled, I could see the field littered with thousands of dead bodies. Among them lied my son, Leo.

“Your Majesty, we have confirmed that there were no enemy survivors with minimal casualties from our side.”

I turned around to see one of my commanders giving me a report of the aftermath.

“Leo's dead.”

“I must ask for you forgiveness for my insolence. I had no idea he was involved in this battle, let alone the Reconquista.”

“Neither did I, until he saved my neck from being hacked off.”

“He was a brave soul, worth twenty Spartans and a brilliant commander himself. A great loss for the Empire.”

“No, he wasn't. I could tell he was awkward when he wielded his sword. There's no way he could have commanded Phalanx let alone an Army. I never did school him in the Art of War like I have for Constantine.”

“Even then-”

“Besides, he was probably not even of my blood. It's no secret that the current Empress was a mistress to my predecessor, commander. Regardless, he was still my son. Since he was my son and these heretics, infidels, or whatever you call these bastards, they have paid the full Imperial price.”

“Yes they did, Your Majesty. I must say that your strategic brilliance made sure to put a fitting end to them.”

2014-08-23_00043_zpsa7a3769a.jpg

“Commander, I would like you to make the proper arrangement to send the late Co-Emperor's body back home. I'm certain his mother would like to pay her last respect, since I'm pretty sure she has yet to learn of this. He will receive a full state burial like his brother, Alexander.”

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

As my men made the necessary preparations, I went out onto to the fields to pick some grass and grains to make a wreath. While no one was around, I placed it on his place symbolising an old Roman way of saying thanks for receiving salvation.

Once the necessary preparations were done, we marched towards Palmyra where upon arrival I immediately ordered an assault on the city of Palmyra.

2014-08-23_00046_zpsbf0fbd00.jpg

A small company of soldiers attempted to escape, but we chased them down all the way to Azaz.

2014-08-23_00047_zpsf60dea5f.jpg

Afterwards, we marched towards Aleppo where we repeated the same thing done to Palmyra.

2014-08-23_00049_zpsddbd1271.jpg
2014-08-23_00050_zpsc21bed8c.jpg

Later that month while making camp, I received word that my daughter Anna had come of age. According to the reports, she was a spitting image of her mother. Once I return home, I would have to deal with all the familial duties.

2014-08-23_00051_zpse170b1d4.jpg

As with Aleppo and Palmyra before, the same fate would befall upon Hama.

2014-08-23_00053_zps981b18d5.jpg

As well as Hom after a brief battle.

2014-08-23_00055_zpsc01e47ca.jpg
2014-08-23_00057_zps4c789136.jpg

And Ar-Raml.

2014-08-23_00059_zpsb4eeb77d.jpg

After a brief skirmish near the borders of the Caliphate, a messenger reported troubles back in the capital regarding some taxation mismanagement.

2014-08-23_00061_zps5922f078.jpg

This would be a slight nuisance, but hopefully nothing more. As the Reconquista continued, I received word that Louis II had recently finished his own war reclaiming the throne of Burgundy to which I sent a word of congratulations.

2014-08-23_00062_zpsc35d4ace.jpg

Just then a messenger ran towards me.

“Your Majesty, it's the Caliphate!”

2014-08-23_00063_zps684fc042.jpg

Last edited:
Chapter XVIII

Clash of the Titans

Green with a rightward facing yellow crescent. It was an all too familiar symbol, the coat of arms of the Abbasid Caliphate. After usurping the leadership of the Mohammedan world from the Umayyad Caliphs, they would go on to make great achievements until they grew overly content with power thus becoming corrupt, decadent, and overly relying on mercenaries like West Rome had until her fall, resulting in the Anarchy at Samarra and more recently, the Anarchy at Baghdad and Jerusalem the latter as a result of familial infighting. Though a shadow of its former self, they were still a force to be reckoned with, one which we would deal with extreme caution.

To prevent being in a disadvantage, reclaiming lost grounds by laying siege and assaulting castles was of great importance.

2014-08-23_00064_zps94fa194a.jpg

There was also a matter of ransoming prisoners for gold, all of which was to fund the war.

2014-08-23_00066_zpsd6d76a85.jpg

As we marched across the desert a scout came towards me.

“Your Majesty, enemy sighted heading away from our direction.”

“How many?”

“About a thousand, sire.”

“Send words to all captains to prepare for battle.”

“Yes, My Lord.”

Once everything was set, it was time for a massacre.

“All units, charge!”

2014-08-23_00067_zps68c7d258.jpg

“Your Majesty, the Caliphate Army has been sighted!”

“What!? Where?”

“One kilometre, north east of us. They are heading this way!”

“Have all units re-group. The battalion we just wiped out must have been a large forward unit of the Caliphate.”

“All units in position, sire!”

“Prepare to engage the enemy!”

“Yes, My Lord!”

2014-08-23_00068_zpsd720c2ca.jpg

The battle raged as the Imperial Legion clashed with that of the Army of the Caliphate. Unlike the previous engagements, we did not completely outnumber the enemy though we were in the numerical superiority.

“Your Majesty, we are having trouble outflanking the enemy.”

“Send some reinforcements to the right flank.”

Within the chaos, I could see a green standard with a yellow crescent. It would seem that the Caliph himself was leading the battle. As a defender of all Christendom, I would show this descendent of the false prophet, Mohammed, what it means to be a follower of the one true religion.

“Captain, divert the reinforcements to the left flank!”

“Yes, My Lord!”

“Lieutenant, grab a few Horse Archers and Mounted Cataphracts and follow me.”

With that, we rode towards the rear echelon of the army. After giving a signal to the right flank commander to feint a retreat, we quickly rushed towards the left flank before charging towards an exposed right flank of the enemy due to the sudden lapse as the vanguard shifted to one side.

Due to the sudden collapse of their flank, the enemy forces were in chaos as they begun to rout while armoured cavalry cut them down.

2014-08-23_00070_zpsd48b362f.jpg

Though victorious, it was not without cost. Two thousand lives were lost that day, a number which will be hard to recover. In the ensuing chaos that resulted from that battle, we had managed to capture an Emir who would prove to be a valuable captive.

2014-08-23_00071_zpsdbcc30b8.jpg

With the enemy survivors were in a panic and fleeing for their lives, the Imperial Cavalry Regiment made short work of them, giving them chase all the way to Famia and cutting them down to the last man.

2014-08-23_00072_zpse813b063.jpg

As the battlefield was being assessed, a received a message from the Ecumenical Patriarch who informed me of troubles with the local population who refused to listen to the message of the Gospel.

2014-08-23_00069_zps5be2072b.jpg

As the army marched, a messenger informed me that the Imperial Steward, Doux Sisinnions of Cibyrrhaeot had pass away which also left my youngest daughter, Helena, without a tutor. He was a great servant to the Empire and would be missed.

2014-08-23_00076_zpsa22eef3f.jpg

I sent a quick letter to the palace asking my wife to find a new tutor for our daughter. She complied, replying that she had found a perfect tutor for her in the form of the Imperial Chancellor, Doux Pantoleon.

2014-08-23_00077_zps6323e0db.jpg

Although we were winning battles after battles, siege after siege, I could see the exhaustion of the troops and there were not enough reserves to replenish the ranks.

2014-08-23_00078_zpsbdb4e685.jpg
2014-08-23_00080_zps4efafe1b.jpg
2014-08-23_00082_zpse42ef8b7.jpg
2014-08-23_00084_zpsa3eff9bb.jpg

Though we could succeed on our sacred mission on our own, it would be costly which will take generations just to recover. To prevent this, I sent a quick letter to Doux Pantoleon, ordering him to go to the court of the Holy Roman Emperor, Louis II of Italy and Middle Francia, in Luxembourg.

2014-08-23_00084-1_zps4c406ad7.jpg
2014-08-23_00084-2_zpsbcbac697.jpg

Last edited:
Senator Vadranas congratulates the Basileus on his recent victories. Still, he points out that as the Imperium had to fight the Caliphate anyway, it would have been wiser to take the fight to them directly. Audaces fortuna iuvat!

Chapter XIX

The Memoir of Doux Pantoleon

I remembered the day my Master ascended the throne by murdering his predecessor. Unlike most people, initially I thought he would be no good although one could say that it was not Roman politics if there was not a murder or two involved. Of course I kept this opinion to myself and since I was a nobody having an unremarkable lineage, it was something which I was not really entitled to share.

It was near the end of the eight hundred and seventy second year of our Lord when I was summoned to the Imperial Court. One could imagine how nervous I was, feeling paranoid that someone had reported me for my personal opinion. When I had arrived, I saw a very imposing man awaiting me, who turned out to be the Emperor himself, a man of stature whom I would not want to cross even if he was not an Emperor.

“Ah! You must be Pantoleon.”

I fell on my face, for I was afraid.

“Ye-yes, Your Majesty. To what do I owe His Majesty the pleasure of summoning me?”

“Hmm... Just a rumour I have heard. I hear you are from Nicaea?”

I was so certain that I would lose my head that day, or if I was lucky a pair of balls. Though I would much rather lose my head than my balls.

“I was actually born in the Aegean Islands, but moved to Nicaea hoping to find work with the Church.”

“I see... I must admit Pantoleon, from the rumours I have heard, your talents would be wasted if you worked for the Church. Would you consider working for me?”

“I beg your pardon?”

I was so confused by his question that I forgot that I was talking to the Emperor, thus replying in a rather rude gesture.

“Does it displease you so much at the thought of working for me, Pantoleon? Or perhaps you are just a very humble and a pious man.”

“No! I must ask His Majesty to forgive me for my insolence. It is just that I was shocked that you, the Basileus of Rhomaion, would ask me a lowborn to work for you.”

“Don't put yourself down like that, between you and me, I was a lowborn too a couple of decades ago, but now look at me!”

“I am humbled by your modesty, Your Majesty. So what kind of work do you wish for me to do?”

I could not fathom what talent he spoke of, since I was not a exceptional when it came to coins nor have any experience in the military. As such whatever position he had to offer was up to pure speculation.

“For now, I would like you to govern the Theme of Thracesia. The previous Governor, Alexander died of leprosy without leaving a replacement of any sort. I would like you to use your people skills which I heard was without peer, to calm the region and re-build the trust between them and the Empire so that we can reclaim what was lost, but still rightfully ours.”

2014-08-23_00084-2_zps5f75ceaf.jpg

“You would have a nobody like me to govern an entire Theme?”

“Of course not, but remember, every great family had to start somewhere. Everything else, such as myths and legends comes after it has been established. As such let us start a little story of ourselves for you. From this moment, my good Pantoleon, you shall be known as Angelos.”

2014-08-23_00084-3_zpsfaed9eeb.jpg

“His Majesty is too kind. I shall humbly accept His Majesty's offer and serve you until the day I die. I will not disappoint you.”

“You best not to.”

Just like that, from a lowborn nobody with no property, I became a Governor of an Imperial Theme with a name endowed upon me by the Emperor himself. From this point onwards, I would be known as Doux Pantoleon of the House Angelos.

2014-08-23_00084-1_zps66613a01.jpg

It would be a few years after that, where I once again received an offer from the Emperor, but this time to his Imperial Council. Apparently, the Imperial Chancellor had greatly displeased the Emperor due to constant failures on diplomatic missions which I was partly responsible for I coveted his position, eventually resulting in his dismissal, thus I was asked to replace him which I was all happy to do. For many years I would serve as his Chancellor, negotiating peace deals, as well as improving the relationships between Governors as well as the Emperor himself, though I was never good at making fabrications for historical research.

It was what the Ancients would call the Ides of June, eight hundred and sixth year of our Lord, when I received a message from the Emperor while he was away in the front against the infidels for the Reconquista. The content of the message was a simple order for me to travel to Luxembourg where the court of the Emperor Louis II was held. After packing what I needed, I left for Central Europe with the Emperor's youngest daughter, Helena, whom I was responsible for.

After a long journey, I had finally arrived in Luxembourg, the capital of Middle Francia. I was greeted by their Imperial Steward, where after much waiting I was finally granted an audience with His Majesty, Louis II, King of Italy and Middle Francia and Holy Roman Emperor.

2014-08-23_00084-4_zps58f12e02.jpg

“Your Grace, or is it Your Excellency now? Welcome to the Empire of the West!”

“Either is fine, Your Majesty. First of all, I must thank you for your hospitality. His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Basil, sends his kind regards.”

“Ah, I see. Wonderful to have my father-in-law to think of me. Though it would be nice if he would pay a visit sometime. Surely, the Empire of the East does not need to be under constant watch?”

The audacity of these Franks were almost intolerable. Firstly considering themselves to be equals to that of us, the true Romans and second to denote our realm to be a part instead of the whole was as insulting as it gets.

“His Majesty is currently quite occupied with the Reconquista against the infidels.”

“Oh, that's right. Reclaiming what was once ours and restoring it to Christendom. The Spaniards have recently done that also, with the King of Asturias declaring war against the Caliphs of Cordoba. Even my great-great-great grandfather, Charles Martel also did this, but in a defensive war, repelling the infidel armies from ever occupying the Frankish realms. These spiritual descendants of Arians are quite aggressive and encroaching, that something must be done about them.”

“That is why My Lord is doing everything he can to stop them.”

“Yes, he is quite the pious man.”

At this rate, I could not tell if he was being genuine or dismissing it, regardless I had to change the topic quick before sinking my own objectives.

“Ah, the Emperor also congratulates His Majesty in reclaiming His title of Burgundy from the usurpers.”

“Oh, I guess I better thank him for that kind gesture. Though it would have been nice if he sent troops when he promised to.”

I had inadvertently fell on my own trap. I had forgotten that during the Burgundian Reclamation War, My Master had responded to the request of aid, but only as a form of gesture not actually sending any troops what so ever.

“The Imperial troops were occupied at the time due to the preparations for the continuation of the Reconquista. However, all is not for nought, Your Majesty, for My Lord has always intended to provide aid in one form or another. Since he was not able to provide troops, he has opted to provide gold. One portion for the cost that had gone to the war effort as well as its recovery and another as a congratulatory gift.”

“Your Grace knows how to put words in conjunction with the tools at hand. I could do with a diplomat like you.”

“Your Majesty is too kind.”

“Was there anything my father-in-law wanted to ask of me?”

“Not at the moment, Your Majesty. He just wanted me to make sure you were doing well, as his son-in-law.”

“Oh, how kind. In that case, Your Grace, I have to grant audience to the diplomats of my cousins of West and East Francia. So if you will.”

“Of course, I thank you for granting this precious time with me.”

2014-08-23_00085_zpsa93be076.jpg

With that, I had partially completed my objectives. It was just a matter of time until I had to go through the final stages of my objective.

A few weeks had passed after my audience with the king. While I was teaching the young princess with her language skills, a messenger arrived, delivering a sealed letter with the Imperial Insignia. It was from the Emperor himself. It was time to put the final phase into motion.

2014-08-23_00086_zps4f5f7ba3.jpg

“Once again, I must thank His Majesty for granting this humble servant audience.”

“No need for such formality, Your Grace. So, what can I do for you now?”

“Your father-in-law, the Emperor Basil, the Protector of Rome, asks for assistance on his ongoing Reconquista against the infidels. He knows that in your infinite wisdom, that you know that this is a just cause.”

“Hmm.. Let me think about this. I must first speak with my council. I shall let you know of my decision then.”

After waiting for a few hours, I was finally called into the throne room.

“After much discussion, we have decided that it is also in our best interest that we aid Your Master for not only does it bring stability to the region, but restores Christendom to its rightful place.”

“The Emperor will be pleased to hear that.”

2014-08-23_00087_zpsa8d8e87e.jpg

With that, my mission was complete. I sent the details of the meetings as well as its conclusion to my Master. As the young princess started grow into a young woman, I wondered how my son Hypatios was doing back in Thracesia. As time went by, my youth and virility disappeared with it. Being away from home was a very stressful job and because of this homesickness, I was becoming weak. By this point, I had realised that this may be my last mission for the Emperor before my life here comes to an end.

As I write this, I have included the appropriate paperwork for the nomination of my son for the position of the Thematic Governor of Thracesia. Of course, since he is not of age, he would not be able to gain Imperial Appointment from the Emperor. Thus a will will also accompany this, with the appropriate provisions for things such as regency. Whoever reads this, I hope they find something of value which they can learn from my various experience during my service to the Emperor and that they can apply it to their lives in a beneficial way which brings about a positive outcome.

May the Lord our Christ forever bless you, and the prayers of the Theotokos shine upon you.

Signed,

Doux Pantoleon of House Angelos, Thematic Governor of Thracesia, Imperial Chancellor, Member of the Imperial Council, and the Eternal Servant to His Imperial Majesty

2014-08-23_00087-1_zps3e086312.jpg

Last edited: