• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter 19: Looking Outwards Again​

Terra Australis, greatest kingdom of the South Seas, protector of Indonesia, bastion of liberty, industrial powerhouse, and any other self-praising epithet you could think of!

The centennial of New South Wales had went unfortunately under-appreciated due to the war with Britain, but new ones were coming up, and with a lengthy period of peace expected, the next few centennials were expected to draw larger crowds, as well as the 50 year anniversary of our first federation into the United Provinces of Australia. Many of our elders were nostalgic for those days, even when they cursed the (no longer new) British administration. Between our origins and our current political system, the intellectuals of Australia had to labor day and night to construct a new national identity with stronger concepts in it than pan-Europeanism in a distant land and the spirit of adventure. Needless to say, this lead to a lot of deliberate decisions on their part that would alter how they went about their daily lives.

One big example: Because the people of Britain now labored under a command economy, the people of Australia kneejerked their way to being one of the most anarchic economies in the south hemisphere - at least in some ways, as the environmentalist panics and worker's rights movements had warped us ("But it's okay because chemical spills are down and the Pilbara is as red as ever!")... either way, with an unending surplus of raw materials and deflated prices, the industrialists of Australia had to take some time out from their busy schedules of schmoozing and partying to implement more efficient means of production in order to keep their businesses afloat on what were now going to be rougher seas.

JuMPduI.png

The revenge of classical liberalism! I guess Ragland-Baker was a bit of an isolationist...

To be fair, efficiency means profit, and more profit means more depraved parties, and if there's one thing industrialists of the 1890s liked, it was to cavort around in ridiculous costumes and detonate bombs in the desert. There'd be a few crazed moralist campaigns in the 1900s against this sort of thing, but what can I say? Australians like explosives. Nobody really complained about efficient factories, and I sympathize with their acceptance.

et7aiMx.png

Besides, with the menfolk out of the way, the women could try their hands at capitalism, unlike in certain countries...

In fact, in 1893, fish offal tycoon Bjorn Saxon prided himself on his corporate investments' efficiency and claimed that he'd bring improvements from his native city of Melbourne to the rest of the country. Not a bad thing to base your campaign for prime minister around. Bjorn was, to put it lightly, very macho and outdoorsy, and had to be tracked down in the middle of a rafting trip down the North Johnstone River so that we could inform him he'd won the election. Upon being sworn into office, he immediately donned a stiff collared shirt and became indistinguishable from the rest of the pack... ...I kid! Bjorn was very focused on building up our corporations - notably in Indonesia, where he tried to get industrial conglomerates to embrace local manufacturing and turn the occasional non-farmer in the area into a loyal factory worker. On this issue, he was mostly ignored, because of how few Indonesians were interested in manufacturing. One major exception, though - in the town of Palembang, a few enterprising citizens began exploiting the local rubber industry to make electrical equipment like telegraph wires. Luckily for them, the upcoming century was on track to become an electric age, so while most of Australia expected little more than coffee and spices from the empire, Seni Elektronik kept turning out more and more wiring, then vacuum tubes, radios and recently televisions! Definitely one of the big success stories of Sumatra. I've been buying their TVs for years.

On the other side of the island, traditionalism was holding the former sultanate of Atjeh back. After the sudden and aggressive conquest of what was actually a fairly stable polity, the natives were... to say the least, a bit concerned for their way of life, but apparently resigned to their fate. They managed to recover their dissent once we started building Banda Aceh a major military port, once oil and rubber prospectors made their way into their villages, once the Anglican missionaries arrived to combat the "Muslim menace". "Remember Toraja!" shouted the elderly amongst them, at least until the newly galvanized Atjehnese slit their throats. Atjeh would see one separatist movement after another through the decade, lead by imams, plantation owners, even the occasional European mercenary. Now, you'll notice that Australians are pretty in favor of violence, but not when it doesn't strengthen the perpetrators... in this case, it definitely does not. Needless to say, they weren't particularly enthusiastic about the pan-Indonesian fervor that occasionally swept across the archipelago. Given that they lacked a minority to give preferential treatment, it's no wonder the idea was so unpopular with them.

Needless to say, besides industry, fraternity was Minister Saxon's other big buzzword. He recorded some memoirs during his ministry (said memoirs were published in 1905, some years after he'd left office) that shed some light on his motivations. Apparently, his parents were privy to the unification of Scandinavia under the house of Bernadotte; they then saw the waxing and waning of the various nations of continental Europe unfold before them and drilled the ideas of group power and cooperation into their son. Apparently they lay dormant for much of his adolescence; it wasn't until he'd gotten himself firmly entangled in the Australian fish trade that the concepts resurfaced. With the exception of a brief (if terrifying) lutefisk promotion, Saxon's attempts at promoting Australian brotherhood were relatively sane. In 1894, he received word of an impending international sports competition and not only signed up Australia, but also arranged a smaller "national Olympics" in order to keep up the spectacle that had launched him into office. He even competed in those games, winning second place in javelin throwing.

jRezGr5.png

He would have won first, but for a youthful Scotsman who promptly disappeared when nobody was looking.

At this point, I feel I should mention that Bjorn was huge on the concept of meritocracy, since it seems to go undermentioned in most studies of Australian history. Bjorn lead several huge anti-corruption/anti-cronyism initiatives throughout the various governments of Australia that, while not always effective, wrought huge demographic changes in our leadership; arguably making them less openly British. The Australian military was actually more receptive to this sort of reform initiative; at the authorization of Bjorn's long-time friend and leading general Samuel Vermillion, the land forces gained a new elite in the form of the Bushmen, so called because most of their training took place in the deep interior.

pdmJqEf.png

The Bushmen tended to look down on their enlisted brethren. Because this was the 19th century (if only barely), their insults ranged from "slovenly" to such zingers as "undisciplined".

They were the first to mechanize and take advantage of automobiles, the first to receive dedicated amphibious assault training, and so forth. Recently, many of them have been deployed to various 'hot spots' in the Middle East and Iran as "advisers" for the various border conflicts in the area - to be fair, they've gained quite a reputation for desert warfare. Australians actually got a bit too excited about the Bushmen for their own good, as several dozen of them were shipped off to Göteborg for the 1895 World's Fair.

gJM8uwb.png

A journey of a thousand miles must begin with a telephone call from a friend asking, "Hey, do you want to go on a journey of a thousand miles?"

After the debacle of the 1851 fair, most of our attempts to participate in these had been relatively minor and definitely not befitting of our greatness (How many times have you heard that line in your life?). While not particularly grandiose, our exhibit at the 1895 Fair was a significant improvement over previous attempts, and I for one am willing to thank the Suez Canal for allowing us to ship more and better things to the roof of the world. Throughout the duration, there were protests in major cities, particularly in the west (Kalgoorlie, Perth, Darwin, etc.) against the use of communist British engineering, but the opportunities the Suez provided for shipping were so immense that only the most patriotic citizens bothered. Besides the Bushmen, Australians had an opportunity to show off the latest products of Bjorn Saxon's fish empire (guaranteed to taste fresh for 50 years), the latest exports of spices from Indonesia, and various other small trinkets for the benefit of the feuding Europeans.

The logistics of visiting the World's Fair briefly impressed upon Australia a great deal of news about the European world... and the non-European parts as well! The 1895 Fair was the first to see significant participation from non-Russian Asia, as Persia, Japan, China, and even the princely state of Hyderabad prepared exhibits in an attempt to show that they were civilized by the standards of Europeans. This didn't necessarily work to impress Europe, but it may have helped the actual nations in question to feel better about their industrial and military progress. We also got a rather shocking exhibit from China named "The Virtues of Republicanism". For a country known for the length and continuity of their imperial dynasties, it seemed a bit out of place. Then I did my research and learned that the Taiping emperor's cousin had deposed him and declared the entire monarchy abolished after a terrible flood on the Pearl River.

NrbsFNk.png

I think the Chinese were tired of getting showed up by the Mongolians. The actual emperor fled to Taiwan, of all places.

During the fair, Hong Kunjian was the despot of a slowly modernizing nominal republic with a suspended constitution, much to the chagrin of both traditionalists seeking the return of the Qing dynasty and liberals who vaguely remembered the Lanfang Kongsi. By relying on his guile (and imported Japanese weaponry), Kunjian was able to maneuver these factions against each other, but this was a delicate game at best.

In Europe, the 1890s had opened with several inconsequential wars of honor that distracted the locals and provided some brief entertainment for the kids. They were used this sort of thing by now - France and Germany would squabble over something, and Germany usually won. There were talks of attempting to annex more Germans to their empire and dominate the continent, but German-speaking Swiss citizens had insisted upon retaining their neutrality, and Austria-Hungary had for decades attempted to recast themselves as a multicultural federation, for better or worse. Ironically, both of these ideals were on the verge of collapse; the Swiss had become so skilled at diplomacy that they could exert control over world events merely by calling conferences, and Austria-Hungary's tenuous balance disappeared after a series of pro-German presidents had thoroughly alienated the Hungarian population, ruining their historic compromise.

AkIsXVn.png

Walking to the rhythm of the watchmakers.

Combined with their recent humiliations at the hands of Italy, huge swathes of the republic's population decided to quit the Empire. Most of the battered army was sent to Hungary, leaving not quite enough men to handle the other nations crying out for their own existence. By 1896, three (admittedly small) nations had achieved independence from Austria, and our aging king Rudolf could not help but be drawn to the tragedies befalling his fatherland. Meanwhile, Rudolf's son Felix Ferdinand, who had never so much as visited Vienna begged his father to avert his gaze from Europe and focus on bringing Habsburg virtues to Australia.

B3K9MK3.png

Romania celebrated its expansion quietly and subtly, lest its neighbors would file a noise complaint.

Two of the breakaway republics this time - those of Slovenia and the Banat - remained mostly ignored on the international scene; the Banat Republic in fact was almost immediately beset with a three-way conflict between its Hungarian, Romanian, and Serbian populations.

W8D4rQa.png

On the other hand, the larger republic of Galicia-Lodomeria in the northeast was able to secure almost immediate acceptance amongst the powers of Europe, if only for its productive oil fields. With Russia, decaying Austria, and even Germany wanting access to the oil, Galicia was trapped between foreigners who wished to exploit it and internal nationalists who also wanted to exploit it... and turn it into the center of a resurgent Polish state.

Meanwhile, Polish-Australians laughed vigorously at the tribulations of their continental brethren and occasionally wrote letters exhorting them to come to Australia and learn the meaning of true freedom. With a stable Australia and an unstable rest of the world, this was happening a bit more often than was strictly necessary...

Last edited:
This Galcians also broke free during my PDM game, not sure why they don't just go Polish.

Looks like Austria is on the ropes.

Waiting to see where the stable Australia takes its brand of freedom to next.

'...huge swathes of the republic's population decided to quit the Empire...' Somehow I find this sentence quite amusing. Also, I have not learned who the Bushmen tend to look down on ;).

This Galcians also broke free during my PDM game, not sure why they don't just go Polish.

Well, I think you would find the answer by googling the demographics of Galicia-Lodomeria.

I'm sure Australia will make the freedom and rampant capitalism really rain down in Asia. At least when it's worth. :D

What are those enclaves in China? Russia?

Well looking at Google it seems to be crusader kings state reborn.

Why would it not just divvy it up between Poland, Ukraine and Romania? I suppose it was a technically a kingdom, but whatever. Weird Europeans.

Why would it not just divvy it up between Poland, Ukraine and Romania? I suppose it was a technically a kingdom, but whatever. Weird Europeans.

Well, for example, the Czechs and Slovaks teamed up after WW1 and formed Czechoslovakia
a. to maintain a Slavic majority in the state
b. to be a stronger diplomatic player

We even got a part of Ruthenia in the process.

I would see Galicia-Lodomeria emerging from similar reasons.

Looks like Austria is on the ropes.

Waiting to see where the stable Australia takes its brand of freedom to next.

To actually form Poland in-game, the Polish successor states need to own Warsaw and reach a certain amount of prestige. In PDM, this basically means that Congress Poland can become actual Poland if it manages to break free from Russia.

'...huge swathes of the republic's population decided to quit the Empire...' Somehow I find this sentence quite amusing. Also, I have not learned who the Bushmen tend to look down on ;).

Well, I think you would find the answer by googling the demographics of Galicia-Lodomeria.

I fixed up the prejudices of the Bushmen. CTRL+V is not without its perils!

I'm sure Australia will make the freedom and rampant capitalism really rain down in Asia. At least when it's worth. :D

What are those enclaves in China? Russia?

Indeed, one hopes they will.

Russia owns two of the built-in Chinese concession ports - Jiaxing, and Qingdao. Britain and Portugal are still in control of Hong Kong and Macao, respectively. Port Arthur, however, is owned by the "Fengtian Clique", which is an uncivilized country of all things with cores on Manchuria. Not sure how that could've happened, but my money is on mobsters.

Ah yes, the classic Republic of Galicia-Lodomeria

Don't get too attached. They're in a precarious geopolitical position.

Based on its borders, and its government (a democracy with the communist party in power), I'd say the people of Galicia-Lodomeria are probably trying to avoid ethnic nationalism and unite their people along ideological lines. However, by the end of this update, Austria had already declared reconquest and occupied a province... so... unfortunate for them, I guess.

Well, for example, the Czechs and Slovaks teamed up after WW1 and formed Czechoslovakia
a. to maintain a Slavic majority in the state
b. to be a stronger diplomatic player

We even got a part of Ruthenia in the process.

I would see Galicia-Lodomeria emerging from similar reasons.

I think Galicia-Lodomeria briefly had some Ruthenian nationalists, although they were either appeased or suppressed.

In this update, I reach 1900, so in the interest of keeping up with the world, here's a map. It contains spoilers for the upcoming chapter, so you might want to read that first.

f6lACwj.png

Things haven't changed all that much. Scandinavia is properly unified, Austria is still in a state of civil war, Egypt is surprisingly large, and so forth. France and Britain are squabbling over their colonial empires in Africa, while Germany, Spain, and Belgium fight for the crumbs. The Sokoto Caliphate is trying to exist, with very limited success.

Chapter 20: Australian Adventures for the New Century

You know, looking back on these last few chapters, I seem to write a lot about Rudolf von Habsburg weeping or otherwise being consumed with grief. Maybe he was overreacting a bit, maybe I'm fixating a bit, but if he only ever had one reason to cry in his life, it would've been on August 15th, 1896, when his father Franz Joseph died, after several decades of distinguished statesmanship. Franz had declined in prominence when he set up his son as a king (if not an emperor), but with his constant projects to better his people, he'd never really disappeared. I'm almost certain he overworked himself - always attending some sort of official function or working on a legal document or meeting with his fellow subjects of the Australian government, lucky to get 6 hours of sleep in a day. Doctors later said he died of stomach cancer brought on by ulcers. Not a pleasant way to go!

While Australia as a whole noticed, Franz's actual funeral was held in Makassar at the request of the natives; they said it was his rhetoric decades ago that saved them from the Dutch yoke, as well as preventing them from destroying themselves when they first sought freedom. Actually quite a pragmatic approach to take - once they recovered from the religious violence, the people of Sulawesi were firm for the union to Australia in ways that were very rare in other parts of Indonesia. More on that later. It was a shockingly Catholic affair despite the alternately Calvinist and Sunni inclinations of the people of Sulawesi. Most of Franz's family (with the exception of Rudolf's branch) was unavailable due to the whole mass-relocation thing, even after almost two generations, but in their stead, a veritable constellation of Australian and Indonesian well-wishers poured into Makassar to pay their dues. The Habsburgs had always obsessed over love (after all, they married their way into relevance), and as Franz Joseph's funeral proved, love was plentiful in Australia.

CK8QomL.png

The Habsburg obsession with love also brought Rudolf's two sons into the world - Felix Ferdinand in 1881, and Benjamin in 1897.

As the 20th century (best one so far) approached, Australia proper looked rather unified from most perspectives, with its various economies and cultures melting together by virtue of the transportation links I wouldn't shut up about several chapters back. Indonesian integration, despite the enthusiasm for such... lagged behind. There was something of a regional character developing in each of its components - cosmopolitan Bali, industrial Sumatra, bootlicking Sulawesi, agrarian Java, egalitarian Borneo, irrelevant Timor... then again, Indonesia had enjoyed great diversity in culture and religion long before Australia began receiving British convicts - it would be a lengthy process to encourage even collaboration amongst the islands. With the exception of a few radical intellectuals, though, the average Australian wasn't really pushing in that direction. Just like today, we valued Indonesians loyal to Australia more than Indonesians loyal to the vague concept of a united Indonesian nation. How very imperial of us! We award ourselves five points.

YskJboq.png

Best Muslim Christmas present ever.

While Australia the continent had more than enough people to fill a nation state, there were a few locals who sought to incorporate even more territory into the country. There were two major efforts to secure further territory for the country at the turn of the century - the first, and more successful of the two began with the 1899 New Guinea Expedition. Lead by the crackhead biologist John Blackmore (a veritable me of the past, folks!), it revealed New Guinea to be a veritable microcosm of the world around it, bisected by mountains, sparsely inhabited. I could go on about John Blackmore for chapters - that's how interesting he is, between his expeditions in Oceania, his attempt to press a claim on the throne of the former sultanate of Atjeh, how he almost singlehandedly overthrew the crime empire of Willem Armitage... that last bit is actually going to be relevant in a chapter or two.

iXIPZ7r.png

Cooktown is so close! We'll just take some lumber and be back in a week.

Either way, it wasn't the first time an Australian citizen had set foot on New Guinea, but with his enthusiastic recommendations, thousands of fortune seekers followed, although primarily lumberjacks and fishermen at first. New Guinea would present us with some woes, as we had no real experience with colonizing a meaningfully populated land without conquering it, and this ended up alienating the natives, but land is land, and land is also power if you're turn-of-the-century Australian.

There were also a few optimistic souls at the time who wanted to annex New Zealand into Australia. They'd actually been independent for nearly as long as we had and become a land of opportunity for the occasional brave soul willing to face the Maoris. Frankly, they had to be braver still once the Maoris took up rifles and industrialization, but by 1900, almost 600,000 people called New Zealand their home, including a significant portion of European immigrants (and the occasional Australian). If New Guinea was Australia's geography in miniature, New Zealand was the same for its ethnography. Our efforts at this time extended to an alliance, if only to keep the former British colony safe from its now delusional overlords, but we stopped short of any further integration, such as a customs union, or a personal union.

2gIMFM8.png

Fun fact - the roast beef I had for dinner last night came from a cow raised in New Zealand.

Apparently, the Maoris were not particularly interested in accepting a king other than one of their own, no matter how interesting Rudolf was at parties.

To be fair, Australian imperialism had frightened a lot of European powers rather badly (and mauled a few to boot), but it's not like we didn't understand the concept of cooperation. Even our ambitions in New Zealand and Polynesia overlapped, as our countries managed to launch several joint expeditions to map out the small oceans of the Pacific. Other nations were a bit more competitive. For instance, there was great conflict about how the great powers of Europe were to divide Africa - for the most part, France and Britain won out, with Germany and Spain gaining small cessions, Egypt nervously clutching their Sudanese and Ethiopian subjects, and one incredibly overblown pissing match over the fate of Djibouti. I say this only because of how incredibly tiny it is. Along with Aden across the ocean, though it stands guard over the Red Sea, and the British communists, being the fair and balanced people they were, insisted upon having it in order to strengthen their grasp on transcontinental trade. Continental Europe refused them this boon, Mohinder Buckley promised an overwhelming sepoy invasion through friendly Persian and Ulus lands (The Turkish communists finally accepted their legacy and renamed their country the "Osmanli Ulus". "Ottoman Commonwealth" is an appropriate translation, but "The Ulus" took off in Australian slang), and so forth...

France, Germany, and Italy openly laughed at Chairman Buckley's threats but secretly worried about over a million Indians running amok in their territories, the British government managed to convince itself that it could not win a naval war, and when the United States threatened to get involved and silence the racket, a compromise was reached where Russia was given Djibouti; as a loose ally of both sides, they could theoretically serve as mediators. A compromise that satisfied nobody, but hostility was directed elsewhere for a while. Between this and the coup that rejoined Tatarstan to the Russian lands that surrounded it, Russia was once more relevant to the average European!

By the end of the 19th century, not only was this border-fluxing craziness more common than before, it was easier for the average citizen to see how it would affect Australia. A Russian presence in Djibouti meant more Russian goods and people in the area, and with luck, those could be more effectively diverted towards Australia. It also meant that we had to deal less with our British rivals and more with our long-time friends and often family in Russia... although if we liked them so much, why weren't we allied with them? Weird of us. Egypt had managed to maintain its independence, if primarily by relying on its Ethiopic subjects and by making small diplomatic concessions to greedy Europeans. With Russians in Dijbouti, England, Italy, and Germany had to work harder to keep up their reputation with the Khedivate, and we could potentially strengthen our interests in the area by trying to undermine Europeans. At home, Australians were laying the groundwork necessary to support this type of endeavor.

First of all, even with constantly growing railroad networks, Australians were seeking more convenient ways to travel. Enter the automobile, which with the rise of petroleum as fuel, was on the verge of becoming a genuinely useful contraption to keep on one's property. In 1899, when Cook Motors (one of the first Australian auto manufacturers along with Tarrant and Holden) released their famous "Cruiser" model, there were maybe five hundred, perhaps six hundred cars in the country. Almost all were at best 'experimental' and at worst, completely useless.

81NFR0L.png

Steam powered cars were pretty stupid.

By 1910, there were a hundred thousand, and about 10% as many in Indonesia, since the terrain in major parts of it wasn't quite ready for the level of road technology we had. Freight trucks, tractors, and buses followed some years later, and railroad barons began to fret as they saw the benefits of flexible roads, even though they'd been early adopters of oil (diesel) based engines. They've since managed to adopt to the existence of cars as well, since are you really going to put thousands of miles of track to waste?

We were also making major upgrades to our military training and doctrine. With the arrival of the Australian Bushmen into the army, the stage was set for a bitter rivalry between the army and navy, starting as the Bushmen received their shiny new automobiles four years before our shipyards began churning out oil-driven warships. Despite the efforts of general Vermillion and the retirement of Roger Cromwell from the navy (and essentially all public life), the rest of the Australian army went under-appreciated and was mostly relegated to police work in colonial Indonesia, while a few years in the navy were guaranteed to improve your income and prestige for the rest of your life.

RnzwiUH.png

In the navy! Yes, you can sail the seven seas.

The ground forces did manage one small revenge - in the process of training their men, they developed a board game ("World Conquest") that broke free from its military origins and became hugely popular with the youth of Australia. At its peak, playsets were being distributed to almost every single English-speaking country in the world. Even I've played a few times, although the original has long since been superseded by more complicated variants.

xEzK2iZ.png

Under Bjorn Saxon's second term, we also saw far-reaching reforms in our financial sector. Prior to 1900, each of Australia's states had its own separate bank and financial chain; the belief was that if one was in danger of insolvency, it wouldn't take the other banks with it. Several decades of bankruptcy science (analysis of the Netherlands and Russia, mostly) kind of eroded that position. Under the new system, the Australian government's central bank was located in Adelaide and separated into two buildings: A glorious palace of marble where rich bankers could receive financial elites from all over the world, and an unassuming brick vault where all the actual valuables backing the currency were held.

zXevkJ4.png

But guys! It's made with genuine artistry!

The former was hailed as a masterwork of modern architecture when it first opened, but if you ask me, it's kind of tacky and overblown. Then again, I live in Brisbane, which is basically the capital of brutalism. My taste for minimalist concrete knows no bounds, at least when I'm not getting kicked out of bars for being a really good customer. By increasing the grandeur of Adelaide, though, it at least served its purpose.

Es2LBwf.png

Adelaide wanted to be pretty, and society was actually okay with this.

With these developments, the people of Australia were ready to enter the 20th century and beat it into submission.

I have chosen your AAR as this week's recipient of the WritAAR of the Week award. Congratulations, and keep up the good work, mate ;)

Steam-powered cars were not stupid :(.

(see the Land Speed Record page for further reference)

I can't be held responsible for the opinions of Liam Jacobson!

...No, wait, I actually can. After all, I am the one writing his character. I still don't think he likes steam-powered cars, though.

I have chosen your AAR as this week's recipient of the WritAAR of the Week award. Congratulations, and keep up the good work, mate ;)

Thank you! I couldn't have done it without the help of the events I write about.

Silliness aside, we're getting to the era of great wars and massive dismantlements. It will only be a matter of time before Australia finds itself in a major war, if you ask me. We're also getting ever closer to the end-date of Victoria II, which means I need to decide what to do at the end of the AAR. I'm currently planning to have at least one or two updates that bring us to the in-universe publication of The Australia Project, but nothing is final or even fleshed out yet.

Chapter 21: The Art of Negotiation

After an insane, almost bestial frenzy through the evening of December 31st, 1899 and the entirety of January 1st, 1900, business returned to usual in Australia.

peGPTTi.png

A few years later, though, some of the games we'd played in the early evening (before the drinking began in earnest) had become popular sports worldwide.

"Business as usual" in Australia in the year 1900 was, by the standards of the world, quite luxurious and full of useful amenities and interesting curiosities. By our standards, they're not quite at the level we enjoy today, but our diets were beginning to converge on what I had for lunch earlier today. The average Australian at this time had access to about 2500-3000 kilocalories of food energy per day; generally lower in the underdeveloped far north and other rural parts of the country, generally higher in cities and highest of all in Kalgoorlie, now that canned food was mature and easily available. Indonesians could reach upwards of 90% of that average, having closed the gap quite rapidly from the dissemination of local techniques. However, the average Indonesian worker's reliance on growing cash crops and buying imported grain slowed this, as the international food logistics system was still in its infancy and Britain did not always export enough Indian grain to feed them. Yes, it's an unfortunate fact that we were often reliant on the Bengali breadbasket to feed our colonies, but with Australians transitioning away from an agrarian lifestyle (40% farm employment in 1900, 30% in 1930, 20% in 1950), the amount of food Australia grew for itself... grew surprisingly slowly, even though productivity per capita was continually on the rise.

One reason Australia's economic progress in the early 1900s goes under-reported is that many of the inventions we'd relied on to get where we are had disseminated around the world to a far greater extent than even a decade ago. A lot of this was in Africa, where European colonial ambitions had pressed a lot of natives into service on new-fangled tractors and such. This wasn't always an improvement - for instance, the people of West Africa (particularly around the Senegal River) had gotten the whole rice cultivation shtick down to a degree that even before French and British incursions, they were regularly exporting a surplus to the rest of the world and adopting many European cultivation techniques. After colonization, though, a lot of their efficient institutions were destroyed or otherwise mangled, especially in the British case where state planning created bureaucratic nightmares for local farmers, especially around Sierra Leone. It's not really much to say that African colonization created a lot of death and poverty where there previously was... less. No matter the face of the oppressor, there would soon be many horrific stories of imperialism run amok, such as the Senegambian famines, religious violence in Ethiopia...

A lot of Australians wondered why the Europeans couldn't just administer their African holdings in a fashion similar to how they administered Indonesia. In Africa, Europeans usually either tried to modernize local economies without trying to change the local cultures (France, Germany), or tried to completely replace the colonial peoples' identities with their own (Britain, and surprisingly, Egypt). As befitting of a people entirely convinced of their own superiority, Australians advocated their own "act as if the entirety of Indonesia had been federated with the Australian continent and administered as the same place since the dawn of time" shtick. They usually ignored the disparity in local laws and local economics that had been present, but misrepresenting data in order to gain support for your ideas is hardly endemic to Europe! Either way, the more conscientious among them sought to equalize these differences in order to help Indonesians participate more equally in the Australian society their conquest had helped to build.

vcaiSjn.png

Nowhere was this irony stronger than in Bali, probably because the sentimental value of your first colony trumps Sulawesi loyalism. For a few years, Bali was relatively swarming in colonial officials who were, if you ask them, just trying to help.

To be fair, there were a bunch of Australians who weren't too thrilled with how egalitarian policies eroded their traditional privileges in Indonesia - mostly old, stuffy Dutchmen, and younger, but just as stuffy Anglo-Australians. Like many colonialists, they formed a major portion of our earliest push into the uncolonized masses of New Guinea, hoping for land on which they could build sprawling villas and plantations. As we moved from exploration to exploitation, though, we found several other expeditions had been launched by Germany, the USA, and New Zealand (of all countries). The competition for the island and the archipelagos to its immediate east resulted in rapid development of the island's infrastructure at first, but within weeks tensions over everyone's claims were beginning to brew, mostly because everyone wanted everything ever. Let's take a moment to distinguish needs and wants - New Guinea was full of useful things that were already easy to find in Australia and its colonial territories, so we could technically do without it but for the desire to keep sanitary borders. For Germany and the United States (and to a lesser extent New Zealand), though, such tropical wonders were almost unknown, no matter how much industrialized cultivation increased the size and splendor of the displays of spice racks at grocery stores that had grown dramatically from both advances in food existence and storage, as well as the better ones buying their competitors and consolidating.

That's the thing about this side of the colonial race. The Pacific Ocean is not known for its large quantities of land... or people outside the major continental coasts. But there's plenty of coastline, which means harbors, ships, the armada to end all armadas! The four who fought over New Guinea (...well, not New Zealand) saw in their little game a way to ascend to naval dominance and prestige, maybe even challenge the British beast in the name of containing communism. Shared idealism, for sure, but I'm an Australian, and I know Australians sometimes fight because they agree... but don't know it. Still, we had a nasty situation brewing in the beginning of the century. Australians insisted that the entirety of New Guinea and its surrounding islands were rightfully in our sphere of influence, but the other expeditions seemed hell bent on raising their own colonies.

kFUReyf.png

OOC: New Zealand managed to become a secondary power through prestige; immigration was probably pretty good for their literacy. Either way, they managed to grab several islands in the South Pacific and clearly wanted more.

Then Bjorn Saxon made a bunch of warlike statements - apparently non-Australian ships and men in the area would be gunboated to death - ending his second and final term on a sour note, angering world governments, and otherwise endangering our diplomatic relations with Germany and America.

2PvS9wy.png

It was a historic radio speech, too. Unlike Reginald Strathmore's telegraphs to Britain, though, people paid more attention to the content of the speech than the manner it was delivered in.

The German Empire's 'real' response to this was to launch the "Kriegsflotte" - a massive expedition of nearly their entire fleet strength and 10,000 infantrymen (mostly sourced from east Africa) intended to turn the island of New Britain into the center of Germany hegemony in the area at all costs. Almost instantly, plans for a town named "Simpsonhafen" were drawn up, and it became apparent that the Germans were willing to fight for their concession.

We almost went to war with Germany over this; it's not certain what side the American government would've taken in this case. However, at the last moment, someone went over the latest German ultimatum and noticed that, oddly enough, Germany was not particularly interested in New Guinea proper! When we prodded them about this, they admitted they just wanted the outlying archipelago. With that, the crisis was gone overnight. A new series of boundaries was drawn, and hopes for peaceful collaboration and "enlightenment" of the local natives were expressed.

oUMAqgt.png

"Fine! We didn't want the stupid little islands anyways! *tphbt*

Several conciliatory measures followed - the islands off the coast of New Guinea were given German names and the whole chain was renamed the "Bismarck Archipelago" after Otto von Bismarck, a famous general who had lead German soldiers to victory against France, Russia, and Austria-Hungary in previous decades. The United States of America received a payment of a million pounds sterling to compensate them for the income they would've gained from pressing a claim in the region; ironically they later used it to buy some of the German presence in the Pacific. New Zealand got nothing, but the Maoris weren't in a great position to do anything about it and the news was met with local resignation and the invention of several alcoholic beverages. I don't drink them that often - they taste hung over, as if they've been drinking to forget the sorrows that conceived them. The rest of New Guinea would thereafter be administered in a similar fashion to Indonesia.

VJQNENS.png

I mean the western bits of the island were pretty Indo-flavored, right? We would learn just how culturally different the eastern half of the island was rather quickly.

Don't think we had become less warlike as a result of the South Pacific Treaty of 1902. This was just a question of pragmatism, really; our leaders believed that Germany and the United States, with domestic populations and industries exceeding that of even Britain, could outpace any attempts at Australian mobilization and actually overwhelm us through simple brute force. Only three other nations in the world could possibly match this - France and Japan were too friendly, China was on the verge of a civil war, and (if you considered the British Raj its own nation) India had wrought many concessions from its overlord rendering it too unruly to participate in much more than defensive warfare. The existence of the gigantic, semi-autonomous Hyderabad State spoke very unfavorably of British control in the region, anyways.

The cycle of elections continued unabated. After Saxon left office, a man named Michael Ducopolis took his place and began his first term as minister surrounded by vicious rumors. You see, Michael had ditched the New Conservative Party he had literally founded in the middle of his campaign due to divergences in their political positions. He'd started the party in an attempt to revive isolationist and assimilation policies that had fallen by the wayside decades ago; instead he managed to provide every extreme monarchist and anti-democrat in Australia with a common (if volatile) banner to march under. The New Conservatives rapidly took on a paramilitary aesthetic with Ducopolis gone, but much of their support also disappeared - they had an apocalyptic view of politics that didn't quite fit the prosperity and military power Australia enjoyed, although they were quick to jump on the blip that the New Guinea conflict had made in that reputation. For years, they would be dogged by accusations of senseless violence and organized crime.

While it wasn't good for their popularity, the New Conservative Party did find their organization suddenly strengthened by a Russian deportation, of all things. In Russia, similar traditionalists had arisen in response to the gradual liberalization of the local political climate; but in their call for the dismantlement of all Russia's fledgling democratic institutions and the return of absolute authority to the Tsar, they were rather more extreme. Needless to say, the actual Tsar (Michael II) was pretty enthusiastic about it, but the people under him were not, and the Tsar's ambitions were now partially curtailed by the laws of Russia. When a couple of the neo-Tsarists ended up murdering several Russian soldiers at a military base in Riga, the local military commander and suspected social democrat Captain Leon Bronstein who was in ordered them sent to the Nerchinsk katorga (a sort of unreliable death sentence where the Tsar tried to get more work out of you before you froze to death); after only a few weeks, they escaped and made their way down to Australia, vowing to eventually return to their motherland and restore absolutism. Apparently, they lost interest.

kBoR51C.png

Let's be honest - if you'd frozen Ivan Seversky in 1845 and dumped him off at the beginning of the 20th century, he would join the New Conservatives once he defrosted... even if that didn't cause brain damage.

After about a decade of relative stability, European politics were taking a new, feral turn, with violent insurrections in most years and plenty of riots in the others. For instance, the people of the Netherlands finally realized that communism had not protected their once reasonably glorious empire and (despite the threats of Britain) got rid of the dictatorship.

d0kXYam.png

Out with the socialists, and in with the stadtholders, eh?

Meanwhile, the Austrian restoration of state order in Galicia ended up so horrifically brutal that the Slovenian independence movement ended up surrendering in an attempt to prevent further violence. At least in Europe, fear of the mysterious communist bogeyman was not exactly working out in favor of anyone, even tradition bastions of anti-communism like the German Empire. The real problem, however, was that Europe still contained a great deal of tension over ethnic/nationalist issues that hadn't been resolved yet... except perhaps in Austria, where the revolutionaries were beginning to band together across these traditional barriers and create little duplicates of the Austrian government in miniature.

Things came to a head in 1901, when France launched yet another invasion of Alsace-Lorraine with the help of the Russian Tsar. Nobody expected it to work, but this time, France had a new weapon - millions of colonial Africans shipped to the frontlines in order to bolster French strength. Russia, as usual, had a gigantic army with questionable organization and discipline, but the French had also improved relative to the rest of Europe after their last humiliations.

86lLLKI.png

Oh, I'm an askari and I'm okay, I fight all night and I drink all day!

The flipside was that Germany's Italian and Spanish allies had to be contained and prevented from sinking the French Mediterranean fleet - in the case of Spain, this meant nothing short of a full invasion... but France, being the military geniuses they were, drew too many of their troops away from the German frontline... and their country got razed for it. Ironically, Germany also overextended in this process, and managed to lose tens of thousands of men to encirclements... causing them to lose their progress in Russia as well! Things looked dark for Germany... then Tsar Michael had to ruin everything for Russia by demanding the sort of territorial concessions that would dismember Germany - annexation of all German lands east of the Oder River, thus pushing Russian control further than it had ever been. Even the French thought this was too much, and in the days after Michael's ultimatum, German resistance in the area intensified dramatically.

r54KOY3.png

Nothing like losing yourself because you've won a war. That's kind of what happened with the French Revolution back in the 18th century, remember?

Russia, as a whole, seems to have decided that the Tsar's warmongering would put their entire country at risk of annihilation and responded with a massive revolution. After two year of fighting the Germans, mass disobedience exploded from Riga outwards as Leon Bronstein organized ever greater sections of the Russian army into dissidents; once they reached St. Petersburg, the Tsar was dragged out of his palace and shot far more times than is healthy. Leon was now in a position to declare himself a dictator, but he instead offered the reins of government to one Julius Martov, sealing Russia's fate as a new communist state. In the coming years, it would (perhaps due to Martov's youth in Istanbul) reinvent itself as a collection of nations, but by virtue of unrest, Martov became as hardened and authoritarian as the Tsar that preceded him... or Mohinder Buckley. He did take Russia out of the the war with Germany, leaving the Teutons to negotiate only a minor defeat at the hands of the French. Alsace-Lorraine became French, France began to rather distrust the Russian bear, and European geopolitics did that cliched thing where its constituent nations changed up their system of alliances due to ideological changes in each country's leadership.

Outside of Europe, the Japanese Empire sought to (with Australian blessing) strengthen itself against possible Russian aggression through further conquest, but that's a story for the next chapter...

Excellent update! I just realized the "Strength through unity" is a reference to V for Vendetta. :O

Double update for me, YAY!

Just for the others playing at home like myself. The Australian constitution does have a clause allowing the accepting of New Zealand into the nation, just saying.

Excellent update! I just realized the "Strength through unity" is a reference to V for Vendetta. :O

I wouldn't have known. I've never perused that franchise.

Double update for me, YAY!

Just for the others playing at home like myself. The Australian constitution does have a clause allowing the accepting of New Zealand into the nation, just saying.

Sounds reasonable. However, New Zealand's independence suits the current generation of Australian leadership in-game... although they've been in my sphere of influence for a while.

Gotta love the Third Way

Unfortunate then that the Russians tossed it. The Soviet Union has mostly been very quiet, though - their communist revolution seems to have knocked them firmly out of the Great Powers for now, but they might strengthen dramatically from the literacy and population boosting reforms.

Chapter 22: Rise and Fall of The Crimelord​

And now, one of the most notorious figures in our history!

Wait, you say I promised the readers something last chapter? But... but... I am the person who told you that... very well, me from the past. Japanese ambitions it is.

In defense of my past self (because I've been writing this book in chronological order), the Japanese Empire was our primary ally in the late 19th and early 20th century, chosen not only for their proximity, but for their desire to remain safe in the face of dangerous enemies who sought to control their internal affairs to whatever degree. Their course of conquest and hegemony paralleled our own, and we retained an unspoken agreement to keep our spheres of influence roughly separate.

After their disastrous "invasion" of Korea (you know, the one that resulted in the Korean military ravaging Kyushu), the Japanese had turned their attention somewhat south, to the island of Formosa - the residence of the Taiping Emperor after his family kicked him out and the Chinese public didn't give enough of a damn to help him. With the Chinese navy being very bad at existing at the time, the Japanese saw a way to extend the definition of the Ryukyu islands a little, and quickly sent an expedition similar to that which had attempted invasion of Korea. The people of Taiwan were... rather less organized in the defense of their homeland than Korea, and pretty soon, a Japanese general was knocking on the door of the former Taiping Emperor... embedded in the wall of a fairly upscale villa that none the less almost certainly cramped his style. Needless to say, he preferred his 'celestial' palace in Nanjing, and when this general told him his loyalty might return him to his rightful throne... well, Hong Kaifeng was more than willing to collaborate with anyone who promised restoration! Kind of had a will to power, unlike some other monarchs I can think of... whose surnames ALSO begin with an H...

b7gXTkt.png

Japan had been looking forwards to this for centuries! The last time they tried to conquer Taiwan was centuries before, which ended in failure.

With the support of their new puppet emperor, Japan began converting Taiwan into a veritable fortress, and its people into loyal soldiers of the Japanese military. Given prior Taiwanese dissatisfaction with the dictatorship on the mainland and the support of Hong Kaifeng, about half of the populace was amenable to Japanese influence... but the other half was a bit more reticent - often in a highly violent fashion, to boot. With access to increasingly sophisticated Japanese firearms and explosives, for instance, local aboriginals were able to express their concerns about Japanese attempts to assimilate them into their culture, and after a few years of armed resistance in the highlands, they'd gained sympathizers worldwide, particularly in Australia... since after several decades we were feeling a bit guilty about our own record with native treatment. That didn't amount to much beyond a few official statements of disapproval strewn throughout the prime ministries of Bjorn Saxon and Michael Ducopolis, because anything else might've soured relations with Japan and endangered our alliance. Besides, the communist coup in Russia kind of ensured we would turn a blind eye to Japan's self-strengthening and 'active' defensive measures... and especially their dark side!

8Lz4yfl.png

One of the great mysteries of Taiping China is their inability to reassert control over this section of the coast despite its relative weakness as a state.

So while Japan futzed around with China and eventually got a foothold on the mainland by co-opting the Fujian warlords, Australia policed itself. By 1904, that had become suddenly more difficult with the sudden, dramatic reappearance of Willem Armitage, the original Boer out of hell. Having spent some years working his way up through the criminal syndicates of Java, he suddenly appeared in the public eye after a string of murders at exploitative brothels in Batavia that the local police suspected but couldn't quite prove he operated. In the present, we know that much of his power came from finance, via the corruption of Indonesian banks and our stock markets (which, for trivia's sake, I'll note were perused and abused by businessmen as far away as Vietnam). Armitage skimmed off a tinge of every profitable deal, cornered markets quite often and occasionally gained a few assets by crashing the entire thing and sending gunmen after the most thoroughly ruined speculators. With money, he bought power and hired underlings to do typical criminal scum things when he thought it necessary. By the time he entered the public eye, there were more neighborhoods throughout Batavia than average that you did not enter if you valued your life; tourists and businessmen were beginning to conspicuously avoid it, instead taking their business to other large cities in Indonesia... like Surabaya, which was beginning to throw off its reputation as a backwater dump.

Ironically, Armitage actively fought against this reputation of urban decay in Batavia by turning a significant strip of it into a tourist trap. The "Golden Halls", as he called it, was a series of city blocks devoted almost entirely to glistening casinos, luxurious hotels and restaurants, incandescent whorehouses (home to arson as well as murder and the usual), and a few somewhat respectable museums and opera houses to cast everything else in a better light. Much of these constructions have survived to this day, and they even play up their unsavory bits of history in a questionable attempt to recall the ragtime and vaguely gamelan-influenced orchestras of the era. Despite his plundering, Armitage did do some unintended good for Batavia, as his most decadent years coincide with the beginning of the city's intellectual flowering. In the next two decades, it put out more fine artists, writers and musicians than Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Kalgoorlie combined, and its convenient location allowed not only Euro-Australians, but natives to make important contributions to culture.

Now, this is a bit of a discretion, but in the early 1900s, many of the indigenous people in the colonial systems of the world began making significant intellectual contributions to the cultures ruling over them. Perhaps the watershed was when a Punjabi university in Lahore was the first to discover the miniscule planet of Pluto, beating out suspicious Prussians (who may have observed it for some time not knowing what it was) and irritated Poles (who seemed to have something of an obsession with astronomy).

dt27Pqp.png

Pluto, however, did not respond by showering them with wealth and good fortune.

The people of the Punjab pretty much had to kowtow to the British in order to prevent their state from being dismantled. Any victory over them, even an intellectual one, would be blown way out of proportion, essentially setting off aftershocks throughout the entirety of India. Anything that big gets noticed, to the least, and a lot of people seem willing to claim this, along with the Indonesian "Intellectual Revolution", as something that brought new nations into existence... or perhaps more accurately lead colonial overlords to reorganize their colonies to prevent rebellions. For instance, the British slammed their ports in the Strait of Malacca together with the sultanate of Johore and their holdings in Borneo in order to create the "Federation of Malaya" - a colony so small (but larger than its constituents) that enforcing communist principles on them was but a trivial task.

lXvGxOK.png

On the other hand, it did kind of create a Malaysian identity where the former British colonial efforts hadn't.

In general, they did a lot of things in the 1900s that angered our people, but the government of Australia opposed a war with Britain on the grounds that their lands would be difficult to conquer and then administer properly. Apparently we hadn't figured out how to gunboat.

On the other hand, the occasional British insult did spur on military spending, which grew in tandem with our economy and due to the lack of land borders, was again dumped into naval causes. In 1904, Michael Ducopolis's newly authorized Department of Military Research inaugurated its own existence by designing and presenting the largest warship ever.

DowHz6F.png

Needless to say, a volley from this baby's batteries is going to leave you a bit sore in the morning at best.

At 15,000 tons of displacement, merely attempting to construct it would present engineering difficulties that the naval facilities of Australia were not ready for. Instead of being sensible, Ducopolis ordered their expansion - a task which took over a year and essentially frightened the other countries of the world into following our lead. In the interrim, the DMR did us a solid favor and scaled down some of the ideas they'd presented us to create thoroughly modernized battleships and cruisers, and as Ducopolis's first term came to a close, the "Minister" class battleships took shape; so called because they were conveniently named after Australia's previous prime ministers.

NPfMdBg.png

Ironically, while George Salisbury and Peter Vasilyev weren't seen as particularly skilled prime ministers, the ships named after them were amongst the most successful in the navy!

These were markedly faster and better armed than the smaller ships they were designed to replace, but not enough so to particularly impress the sailors that operated them or were forced to engage them in combat.

That honor would only go to the DMR's original plans - which had been modified to absorb lessons from the Minister ships just as those ships had been designed to incorporate lessons from THEIR original design. This is a process that we Australians, as a somewhat but not entirely refined folk, like to call 'iterative as hell'. If you asked me, I'd say the biggest improvement from the first draft that we saw on the final product was in the power plant, where new steam turbines not only provided electricity for the ship but also drove its propellers. Big guns, big engines, big everything... upon completion, this was possibly the deadliest battleship in the world. The only question left was that of its name - the DMR eventually christened this ship the ANS Botany Bay, after the very first European settlement in Australia, and promptly commissioned nine more ships of roughly the same design. It took until 1906 to bring those online, but by then, news of the the Australian fleet's impending superiority was widespread, as avid wargamers in militaries worldwide had convinced themselves that our huge dreadnoughts were better than their not-so-huge battleships. One day, the USA revealed it was building its own dreadnoughts, then Germany the next day, Britain the day after that, and even France was revealed to be getting in on the action within a week! Battleship envy is a serious condition - talk to your doctor today!

With petroleum based electricity and propulsion systems comparatively less developed (but admittedly expected to overtake coal and steam within 20-30 years), our lust for the black gold momentarily overcame that for the real stuff. That's when Willem Armitage decided he wanted to get into the coal industry. Melodramatic nonsense about it fitting the darkness in his soul aside, he made a major investment in Bush Steel's new electricity division that gave him about 20% ownership of the company in stock terms. At this point (the middle of 1906), Bush Steel had one major, industry defining coal burner that provided electricity to much of Brisbane and a few piddling reactors elsewhere in Australia. With Armitage's finance and influence, Batavia was the next city they electrified despite the existence of imperialism. To be fair, Bush was not without stern competition in the electrification business, but their little excursion to Java may very well have cost them a lot of lucrative utility contracts in Southern Australia. Even today, their electrical division is nowhere to be found between Adelaide and Melbourne, despite their desperate efforts in the 1950s and 1960s.

So you've probably noticed I keep mentioning this Armitage guy. Don't look at me like that - he got wealthy (as we found out, it was from crime), and he used that wealth to generate more wealth, and he used his more legitimate sources of wealth to wrap his less legal endeavors in a cloak of legitimacy. He did pretty well for a few years; for instance, during the 1905 elections for Prime Minister, he managed to prevent Rebecca Rossolini (first ever lady candidate for this level of government, too!) from finishing better than 3rd place solely by appearing more respectable than she considered him. Most Australians didn't really have a grip on who this 'Willem Armitage' person was; the small percentile that did usually thought he was decently honorable and helpful, and the few that knew otherwise usually kept their mouths shut lest they be sliced up with totally genuine imported Bornean mandaus, of course they're genuine, get them half off while you can-

... and that is why I shouldn't watch cheap B-movies even tangentially related to any chapter I'm working on. It keeps happening!

TNY3ZFV.png

Heed not the voice of the shipbuilders, lest their whispers drive you mad! More seriously, the New Conservatives always seemed to find a core of freaks to carry their message of the day... albeit one that quickly lost interest.

And so, the vaguely conservative Michael Ducopolis ministry got replaced with the Populist-driven Claude Crosby ministry. Claude was highly photogenic in ways that most of the ministers before him could never hope to be; he blamed it on his primarily French ancestry. Even outdoorsy Bjorn Saxon couldn't match him, although that might've been because he smelled like old fish more often than was strictly necessary. David Newcastle had also come close back in the day, but he'd adopted fashions that, while trendy at the time, didn't fit the aesthetic preferences of Australians in 1905. Unfortunately for the oft-mentioned Armitage, Claude had a background in law enforcement and had previously been the chief constable of the Adelaide police system. I'm told he had a questionable habit of using the dirt he had on other politicians to blackmail them into serving him, but you don't need to be a cop or a private detective to do that! Anyways, he was rather predictable in that he focused much of his two terms on strengthening law enforcement and reforming prisons based on his own moral code (with grudging concessions to those of the rest of Australia). Needless to say, when Claude tried to bring his form of law and order to Java, Armitage began creating all sorts of problems for him, all via the legal system. "Constant surveillance is a violation of a man's right to privacy!" he would shout, and thousands of Batavian citizens would follow his lead. Needless to say, Claude was not very big on the concept of privacy, frequently countering that it was the duty of Australians to remain in the open to prove their upstanding character, and that stability and security were necessary for a state to provide equitable treatment to all its citizens. Armitage, on the other hand, would probably still have been a privacy activist even if he weren't a hardened criminal.

Eventually, Claude turned to his former opponent in Rossolini and, on her advice, drafted a few spies to infiltrate Willem's Javanese syndicate to get some dirt on him. This is where John Blackmore re-enters history. According to HIS autobiography ("Reconstructing John Blackmore"), he started by dealing cards at one of Armitage's casinos and worked his way up from there, apparently getting a big break when he caught a henchman trying (and failing) to dispose of a slain alcoholic. Then again, his autobiography is full of lies, and the official government record states that while Blackmore did work at the Rajah's Palace, it was not on the gambling floor, but as an accountant. He still managed to rise quite high in the organization, viewing all sorts of horrific crimes and begging his superiors in Australian law enforcement to move immediately. Instead, they got cold feet, claiming that eliminating Armitage might cause, at the very least, an economic recession that would hurt Australia and its colonies more than leaving him alive and criminal would. My theory is that Claude took a bribe (truely, like a police officer), but what I believe has no bearing on what happened next - Willem Armitage held a parade to supposedly honor anthropological discoveries on Java; as he lazily drifted through the streets of Batavia on a horse-driven float, Blackmore jumped out of the shadows with a pair of pistols and poured bullets into him.

YPA6Kom.png

"Duuuuude! Make scientific discoveries, not war!"

Willem Armitage did the only reasonable thing he could do in this situation - he fell from the float and died in the streets. Claude Crosby mentally breathed a sigh of relief before ordering Blackmore's arrest. John Blackmore nearly got trampled by the crowds before he could be taken into custody. Australia's economy carried on without even so much as a blip from one of its actors disappearing. The judge that sentenced Blackmore eventually reduced his sentence to 10 years followed by parole because Armitage had been such a nasty fellow, and life continued on for Australians. I think this might kind of put a dent in the whole "great person" model of history.

Fascism in the early 1900s? :eek:
Australia is going through some...problems. Will they be joining any Great Wars sometime?

Well I think it is more of a blip than a real surge in Fascist support, Australia's economy seems to be humming along to well for them to be a real player.

I am sure with the size of the navy that we will be seeing some nice fighting sooner or later. I expect, nay demand that the entire SE Asia be Australian.