• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Early Enlightenment! Only because I have philosophical concentration in Enlightenment philosophy! :p

Lest we forget, "Cogito ergo sum." ;) Although he is dead by now...his legacy is without question!

Why do early Enlightenment when the beginning of it is so darn interesting!

The capital and the countryside appearing as completely alien to each other is not just a feature of the times. Many people still have that view in Austria today - I think it has something to do with the relative population sizes...

Christ, you get the same thing in the US; having lived in DC and NYC and having been to Boston, Austin, and several other minor cities, they feel far more alike to each other (especially given that I've had door to door jobs in a lot of them and have walked probably hundreds of suburban blocs) than the rural areas I grew up in.

As an aside, my boss in the campaign I'm working in heard me talking to a coworker about Magna Mundi and came back and was like "So uh, you guys know about Paradox interactive?"

Paradox: It's like a cult for people with degrees in history, economics or social sciences!

My parish priest owns a lot of paradox games! :confused: I thought that was weird at first, but then I looked at myself and thought it was less odd! :p

On an aside, Team USA just advanced to the Knockout stage of the World Cup! :cool: (even after a loss!)

Hey guys just a heads up, my computer's keyboard is falling apart right now (I'm guessing from the humidity or I spilled my coffee again) but it's seeing every "t" as "bt" and every "y" as "ny" (and vice versa). I've been trying to dry it to no avail, which is why I haven't posted a new entry, it's just too obnoxious to write anything long form (I mean also my little sister graduated and I bought New Vegas but those are minyor bthinygs)

Paradox: It's like a cult for people with degrees in history, economics or social sciences!

This should be the new compagny motto!

Emile, addicted to paradox since before I could vote
Master in History

This should be the new compagny motto!

Emile, addicted to paradox since before I could vote
Master in History

It would be interesting to take a poll of how many forum members have BA's, MA's, maybe even a PhD in history or economics, or are currently studying those subjects (hmm...two of the three subjects I studied). I gather there's probably a sizable amount.

Haha, I've been addicted to Paradox games since before I can vote too! :confused: :p 2004, first exposure to a Paradox game, Hearts of Iron, still too young to vote.

Good old HOI!

I started with Vicky around 2005? I don't know what informed me about it but I'd gotten to the point after a class trip to italy where I was so good at rise of nations and rome total war that it wasn't interesting and learning about Vicky was one of my first steps towards thinking of history as a thing I wanted to do (before then i was *sure* that I would write science fiction)

I started with Vicky around 2005? I don't know what informed me about it but I'd gotten to the point after a class trip to italy where I was so good at rise of nations and rome total war that it wasn't interesting and learning about Vicky was one of my first steps towards thinking of history as a thing I wanted to do (before then i was *sure* that I would write science fiction)

I saw my friend's dad playing HoI one night I was over, thought it was pretty cool. A couple months later, ended up finding the game, and newly released HoI2 and picked up both. That started a downward spiral to the rest of Paradox Interactive, and since CA fumbled Rome II so horrendously, for someone who also owns every single Total War game (many of them of course with the incredible Darthmod: ETW, NTW), and since Paradox puts out quality vanilla products, that sealed the deal for me. I haven't played Rome II since December, and de-installed it from my computer, though since its through steam, its still in the library. Oh lord, I've wasted thousands of hours playing Rome Total War, and I've probably wasted thousands of hours on HoI...ultimately finding the HoI AAR subforum here in like 2006 or 2007 I think, and it took a long time before I finally joined! :p

You should wait for HoI4, have a nuclear war at the end of the game, then do a dystopian science fiction AAR set in the aftermath of the war! ;)

And hopefully you got/get your keyboard patched up!

It would be interesting to take a poll of how many forum members have BA's, MA's, maybe even a PhD in history or economics, or are currently studying those subjects (hmm...two of the three subjects I studied). I gather there's probably a sizable amount.

Haha, I've been addicted to Paradox games since before I can vote too! :confused: :p 2004, first exposure to a Paradox game, Hearts of Iron, still too young to vote.

Same, was blobbing before voting!

I saw a single screenshot of EU1 in a magazine sometime around 2002, but didn't see the game in a store for a few years.

I'd imagine a large number of forum members either have a qualification in the classics or social sciences, or intend to pursue one. I've an MA (undergraduate) in History-Politics and an MSc in EU Law, but currently work as an economic analyst.

Hope you resolve the tech issues Merrick, a keyboard on the blink is very frustrating!

LordsofFrance_zpsda61ab8e.png

The Early Enlightenment

Excertped from Lords of France​

(page 163) Could the Enlightenment have flourished under any man other than Louis XIII? A man humble enough to allow society to grow, focused on the general safety rather than imposing a vision, an adept administrator who’s presence was not felt throughout his land. Before Louis XIII, we can characterize France by the kings she had; under Henri II she labored under Henri’s vision of France, under Louis XII she went through conflicts regarding her newfound independence and her Protestant inclinations, under Henri I she was dominated by Habsburg interests. But we cannot ascribe a universal vision felt by the people of France during Louis XIII’s reign. We cannot characterize France via recourse to her monarch’s personal foibles. Instead, we can only say that under Louis XIII France entered the Enlightenment. That in the later half of the 17th century, France ceased to be driven by the patterns of a single thinker, and came into her beauteous own.

leibniz.jpg

The arrival of Leibniz in Paris marked one of the first events of the Enlightenment

It is hard to define where the Enlightenment truly began and the Renaissance truly ended, for we still live with many of the antiquated ideas of the Dark Ages. But (end page 163, begin page 164) the evolution from the classical ideas of the Renaissance to the critical theories of the Enlightenment was begun with but could not be completed during the age of Henri II. when Henri’s tyrannical but unquestionably modern view of culture and politics brought all of Europe out of the worthless philosophies of the past. But the forcefulness of this vision meant that it could never be fully accepted by society so long as Henri was alive; so long as it was explicit it would be attacked by all, and we see that in the Fronde opposition to the state became opposition to everything modern.

With Henri dead, and his less domineering pretender on the throne, France was now able to fulfill the vision set out by Henri II. A part of this was the inherently secular nature of Louis XIII’s rule. Because he had clearly come to power through a civil war, recourse to notions of ‘divine rule’ were an impossibility (and divine rule politics disappeared from France until the 18th century). Instead, Louis ruled on strictly secular terms, going by the vision of authority he brought with him from the East combined with an innate knack for politics. Thus he was able to work towards a transformation along Henrian lines while still being seen as a nonentity outside of military politics.

220px-Kung_Karl_XI_till_häst_(1670-1697).jpg

A painting of Louis XIII during the battle of Hofheim. Note that while the trend of portraying the French king as a young man (started by Louis XII) remained, Louis XIII’s portraitures were generally far more austere regarding supernatural elements than his predecessor, or indeed his grandson

But let us not pretend that the Enlightenment was the product of one man’s policies. Whether the Enlightenment sprung in France or England (a subject which produces much useless argument) is of no importance. Indeed we could say that the Enlightenment was a collaboration of Germans, Dutchmen, Italians, Englishmen and Frenchmen all over Western Europe. It included many elements--great advancements in Mathematics and the Sciences spearheaded by Leibnitz and Newton, attempts at religious reconciliation (again by Leibnitz), interactions with the Near East and Far East, the birth of constitutionalism, and eventually the birth of Empiricism in Amsterdam.

It has also led to some disquieting movements. While those traditionalistic priests who have been threatened by the enlightenment continue to voice their increasingly irrelevant hatred, using arguments as old as time, there is another movement which can only make the modern reader shiver with fear. As the Frondeurs did, they find fault with nearly every element of modern society. The Montaignards, whose thoughts rest on that first nihilist Montaigne, criticize not only the government which has given them the luxury to complain but the (end page 164)

(begin page 168)...but no matter. The Enlightenment began under Louis XIII, and if we were to point to any specific moment, the discovery of modern anatomy would have to be the time. Harvey’s experiments, which he published in the late 1670s and which reached France in 1673, proved that the brain possessed no vessel capable of housing the soul. This was one of several wrenching realizations which started to break the compromise the Church had had with its scientifically inclined followers, wherein new discoveries would be integrated into Catholic dogma. Yes, we can create a universal history so long as it begins with the Garden. Yes, we can accept the existence of physical laws if we also accept God’s constant intervention into them. Yes, we can uncover the mysteries of the human body if we allow for an extant organ housing the soul. This continued failing defense of an active God only ceased with the rise of the Pietist Pope Benedictus V.

113_SalonMadameGeoffrin.jpg

The Salon began as a place for discussion in the 1710s, and helped foster the spread of foreign ideas into France

What we can say of France at the time was that it was highly open to foreign ideas. Louis possessed none of the French chauvinism of his predecessor, and Germans, Italians, and Englishmen all flocked into and out of France in search of philosophical careers. Though it is easy to forget Anglo-French engagement over this period was especially fruitful, leading to a deep empiricist and rationalist tradition in both of these countries.

We cannot point to a specific moment, a specific day, when the Enlightenment began. Such is a fault of history. But we can say that under Louis’ purview, French society grew, and the Enlightenment began.

Hey guys sorry for the wait, my keyboard is still messed up so I’ve been doing this on other computers, and I had writers block for a while before I realized that the whole early enlightenment is too large a topic to talk about all at once, so I’m going to sprinkle aspects of it into entries while dealing specifically with divergent elements (the French-English alliance, the Montaignards, the Franco-Dutch influence, the interaction of Europe with China / Turkey, etc. In the meanwhile, this is the 100th entry! Yay!

Montagnard ;)

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz! One of my favorite philosophers, and whose work, The Monadology, is among my favorite philosophical pieces. Not only an embodiment of Enlightenment science and physics, but also, among non official church theologians or philosophers (like Augustine or Aquinas), among the most eloquent and beautiful defenses of Theistic faith available!

Great to see you use him as one of the first movers of the Enlightenment in France! ;) You've made someone who spent an entire class studying him a happy man! :D

Montagnard ;)

No, Montaignard, that is, followers of Montaigne. That entry I wrote at the very end of the 40 Years War about Montaigne's history of same? yeah that was a major plot point and it's going to start developing some time soon

Gottfried Wilhelm von Leibniz! One of my favorite philosophers, and whose work, The Monadology, is among my favorite philosophical pieces. Not only an embodiment of Enlightenment science and physics, but also, among non official church theologians or philosophers (like Augustine or Aquinas), among the most eloquent and beautiful defenses of Theistic faith available!

Great to see you use him as one of the first movers of the Enlightenment in France!
wink2.gif
You've made someone who spent an entire class studying him a happy man!
biggrin.gif

Thank you! he's going to have a larger part to play (his whole idea of religious reconciliation is really interesting, in that [at least I see it at] an attempt at pluralism expressed in the still-Renaissance times).

And of course, Lords of France being what it is, Franceau Robb and Boheme will both have their respected rebuttles soon, though the next entry will be on the War of the Rhine (when I get to it, I think I'm going to get a new computer for my birthday because it's getting to the point where its trackpad is getting messed up, so I'm going to go through the process of putting all of my stuff [and all my maps!] onto an external hard drive in preparation for the new computer, all of which means I'll likely be using public computers to write this for the next several weeks) because that figures into Franceau Robbs' rebuttle.

And here I was hoping for good old french revolution's Montagnard :p

My bad ;)

And here I was hoping for good old french revolution's Montagnard :p

My bad ;)

No the creation of the Montaignard clubs in the 1690s is one of the key points of divergence, intellectual history wise, though many Montaignards become major players in French revolutionary politics [Marat, Boheme and le Neuf were all Montaignards at some point for instance, and Robb fancies himself a latter day Montaignard. which is going to start getting him in trouble with the Quebecois government of the 1980s], and the rise of the Montaignard tradition also explains everyone's habit of writing deconstructed histories as a means to make a political point

It seems that the promised Enlightenment has finally arrived! A period I do enjoy reading about, as well as reading abut soe of its main ideas – even if I am something of the philosophical dilettante. Will Louis turn out a king in the "Enlightened Despot" mould, or will he continue his hitherto largely laissez-faire attitude and just accept the Enlightenement as being extant?

Needless to say, I'm very interested to read the coming updates! :)

Merrick Chance' said:
Thank you! he's going to have a larger part to play (his whole idea of religious reconciliation is really interesting, in that [at least I see it at] an attempt at pluralism expressed in the still-Renaissance times).

And of course, Lords of France being what it is, Franceau Robb and Boheme will both have their respected rebuttles soon, though the next entry will be on the War of the Rhine (when I get to it, I think I'm going to get a new computer for my birthday because it's getting to the point where its trackpad is getting messed up, so I'm going to go through the process of putting all of my stuff [and all my maps!] onto an external hard drive in preparation for the new computer, all of which means I'll likely be using public computers to write this for the next several weeks) because that figures into Franceau Robbs' rebuttle.

My adviser said that too, in that his theism is broad enough to apply to Protestants and Catholics (the historical backdrop to which he is obviously writing). Some have argued, with his theory of the pre-established harmony as expressed through his philosophy of causation, to also be among the first proto-Romanticists long before the emergence of the German Idealists and Romanticists more than a century after him. Not to mention his work is clearly influenced by Greek Atomism. Too bad we're past the time of Michel de Montaigne, it would would have been interesting to have had him read Leibniz and respond. Montaigne's fideism is often overlooked with regards to his "skepticism."

Pierre Gassendi too. Although they are all in the same timeframe, thereabouts. I always figured Gassendi to be supportive of Leibniz, although his criticism of Descarte's absolute knowledge may have resulted in some criticism of Leibniz's pre-established harmony. He too, like Leibniz, another one of the men who tried to bridge Greek Atomism with traditional views of Christianity! It is of course, as I may sound repetitive, always nice to see so many of the men who've I've read or had to study make it into an AAR! Intellectual history is surely a subject not often discussed enough, even in a game forum that is promoting fan fiction, to a certain degree! :cool:

Just caught up on the last 3 updates, as Volk has been saying its very refreshing to see intellectual history get a word in in AARland. The continued mentions of the Revolution are making me excited.

Also it seems the Ottomans are doing well for themselves not to mention the Swedes keeping a lid on Russia, though for how long...

Given Austria's renewed focus north, maybe the Hapsburgs will achieve German unification? Though the strength of the other German states will certainly make this difficult.

Just caught up on the last 3 updates, as Volk has been saying its very refreshing to see intellectual history get a word in in AARland. The continued mentions of the Revolution are making me excited.

Also it seems the Ottomans are doing well for themselves not to mention the Swedes keeping a lid on Russia, though for how long...

Given Austria's renewed focus north, maybe the Hapsburgs will achieve German unification? Though the strength of the other German states will certainly make this difficult.

Yeah Austria was only able to beat Prussia's insane bonuses + hard military focus with an alliance from Poland (which is becoming increasingly irrelevant as Russia starts moving west). Also Silesia isn't actually a Hapsburg core (if you recall Prussia inherited it). And all this did was empower the other Prussian like state, Saxony (who I'll call Saxony instead of Saxony-Thuringia because that's a bit of a keyboard twister also my spell checker doesn't recognize Thuringia).

Anyways, while I watch the world cup (and root for nobody [all of the teams I rooted for lost during the only game I watched of each team]), I'll probably write the introduction to the War of the Rhine!