• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
What did you set the lucky nations too? Looks like the OE is having some problems from the normal Balkan and Middle East giant they become in most of my "historical lucky nations" games (I confess, I almost always play with the historical lucky nations on - only on occasion will I select random and never "none" because, hey, some nations just get lucky... :p)

Castile is looking nice, I suppose Spain will form soon - or you will form Spain. Sweden looks like it has done well too. And just because it's jaw dropping I have to say it... WAY TO GO MUNSTER! :cool:

Sforza Maria certainly is bold, but I hope he doesn't bite off more than he can chew.

That being said, deposing the pope and forcing Europe to kneel before a Milan sponser pontiff is a brilliant plan. I still haven't gotten around to buying EU4, so am a bit clueless on the game. Are thereantipope and excommunication CK2-type mechanics available?

He is ambitious, but he's also young so caution isn't a strong suit of his quite yet. As far as papal politics work, its a little different than say CKII, there isn't an anti-pope thing. To be able to excommunicate people you have to have control over a majority of Cardinals, which can be two all depending on what the Papal Controller has. Once you become PC you can excom and call Crusades, although Crusades work way way differently in this game.

But my intention that I'm foreshadowing is attempting to become the PC as well as vassalizing the pope. Having him as a Vassal isn't really much of a game advantage, but it allows for an interesting narrative course.

Oh man, I am so rooting for the King of Castille to die soon. A War of the Spanish Succession featuring Milan and the Sforzas would be great. As long as you don't have to fight France I like your chances. Also, don't count the Ottomans out quite yet. I've seen them looking pretty crappy well into the 16th Century and then suddenly blow up into an unstoppable juggernaut.

It would be awesome for the King of Castille to die. We'd go from regional power to giant blob over night. I don't even think there'd be a succession crisis as the tooltip simply says PU with Milan upon monarch death...

As far as the Ottos go, they may recover from their current setbacks, but who knows. Personally I think it'd be hilarious to see Protestant Ragusa conquering the Balkans and turning it all Protestant. Just because that'd be something completely and totally unexpected.

What did you set the lucky nations too? Looks like the OE is having some problems from the normal Balkan and Middle East giant they become in most of my "historical lucky nations" games (I confess, I almost always play with the historical lucky nations on - only on occasion will I select random and never "none" because, hey, some nations just get lucky... :p)

Castile is looking nice, I suppose Spain will form soon - or you will form Spain. Sweden looks like it has done well too. And just because it's jaw dropping I have to say it... WAY TO GO MUNSTER! :cool:

I actually had lucky nations set up as Historical up until Sforza Maria was crowned. I didn't even know that was a thing in the options you could change around till I reached this point in the game lol. So from this update onwards there are no more historical nations.

But you are right Spain is on the brink of forming, even though Aragon is still limping along on Manorca...and Munster is indeed a surprise, and since they're a powerful Archbishopric I imagine they will vigorously throw their weight behind any counter-reformation. If they do I imagine it will stymie the Protestant spread in Germany Proper.

Oh Muscovy is about to form Russia too...forgot to mention that and couldn't fit them on the screen shot.

And for anyone that pops up on this page in the AAR, that is wondering where the last update is it is on the bottom of the previous page. Or so you don't have to look click here upon this link Chapter XLVII - Duke Sforza Maria Sforza

Chapter XLVIII – Spain

Chapter XLVIII – Spain​

“This year’s graduating class from Parma has many great lawyers coming out of it, your majesty,” Demetrio Moscati announced, as the council convened once again.

“We could use more of them to further administer the provinces,” Lamberti suggested.

Sforza Maria nodded, “Enlist as many as you can into serving the realm. I heard that they’ve also come up with some new ship-building techniques?”

“Yes, something to do with the sails they’ve learned from the French,” Moscati answered, “They ask your grace, for permission to build Milan’s first Carrack.”

2013-11-11_00007_zpscfa05f44.jpg

“That will cost quite a bit of money I’d imagine,” Sforza thought aloud.

“Indeed, but building ships of war is something we’ve needed to do for a long time,” Moscati continued. “Your father, once wanted to build a navy that could rule the Mediterranean, it would be a good idea if we started to follow through with that idea.”

“He did want to,” Lamberti confessed, “but our enemies have no navies. Giovanni allowed the commission of some vessels to patrol trade routes, but warships he saw zero point in. Our threats are on land.”

“And what if Castille becomes our enemy?” Moscati asked.

“Then let the French deal with their navy,” Lamberti retorted.

“You two can argue this some other day,” Sforza Maria said stopping the back and forth. “I will commission the Carrack; in fact if I like what they build I will commission several. Ruling the entire Sea is a little lofty and a misplaced dream that our father had. However, ruling the Adriatic and making a grand show for the Venetians is something I think we are capable of and can easily afford. Is that not correct Lamberti?”

Lamberti nodded and started a new topic, “The Pope would like us to embrace the Counter-Reformation.”

Sforza Maria chuckled at this, “Is that not what my father did? I thought for sure the slaughter of Protestants and the persecution of them was one and the same. So, tell the Holy Father that yes Milan will continue to lead the Counter-Reformation in Italy.”

Lamberti nodded, “The Wurzburgian-Wurttembergian War that France has called us into has reportedly upset the Habsburgs.”

“Has it?” Sforza Maria sighed. Of course it would upset the Austrians; they still liked to consider themselves as the protectors of the HRE even though they had long since been deposed from the Imperial Throne by the Protestant Bohemians. It wasn’t all that surprising that the Habsburgs would be annoyed by French involvement in German affairs.

“It has,” Moscati spoke up, “I’ve heard the French mission to Vienna has been expelled, even reports that they’ve been thrown out of Castille as well.”

“This could lead to a war that will suck in all of Europe,” Lamberti added.

“There’s also been another comet sighted in the night sky,” Moscati said, “an ill-omen as we all know.”

Sforza Maria breathed in deeply, as he began to wonder if his first few years upon the Throne of Milan would see him sucked into a war that would prove to be one of the bloodiest yet fought. A war that would force him whose side to join, and therefore alter the course of the future, for he was still allied with Castille of whom was allied with Austria and would happily join in a war against Louis of France. What to do about that?

“Send diplomats to France and Spain tell them to improve our relations with both,” he ordered. “Perhaps we could be a broker of peace, or at least convince Spain to not support Austria.”

Lamberti nodded once again, “A prudent decision.” With that the council would adjourn, leaving Sforza Maria alone to wonder when the storm would commence.

~~~~~​
A year would pass, bringing in 1525, and luckily for Sforza Maria the threat of a French-Austrian war had seemed to diminish some. In fact, the possibility would have vanished from his mind if Lamberti and Moscati would have quit bringing up rumors of that involved French merchants being expelled from Seville. The three large realms seemed to be in a diplomatic standoff at this point, and Milan was stuck in the awkward middle.

Fearing the worse, Sforza Maria embarked upon recruiting more men into the Armata di Lombardia, as well increasing their training and improving defenses throughout the duchy. He wanted to be prepared, in case he found himself in the middle of a war with no clear ally. At one point he had inquired whether it would be beneficial to have Moscati orchestrate another “timely” death, much as he had of Emperor Jiri in Prague. But, sadly, Lamberti had informed him that the King of Castille had recently had a son, and therefore Sforza Maria’s claim was dubious at best.

2013-11-11_00011_zpsfa51896f.jpg

The Spring of 1525 would pass with little to do, when reports came in that the King of Castille had decided to start calling himself the King of Spain. The Castillians had in fact united the entirety of the Iberian Peninsula, and driven the Aragonese from its lands, to their current home in exile on the islands of Menorca. Aragon had witnessed an incredible fall after Naples had broken away from its union with the Aragonese crown. In fact, Aragon’s fall had occurred more rapidly than that of the Neapolitan’s. It was a thing that Sforza Maria enjoyed thinking about. The two Kingdoms had obviously needed each other, and without each other they fell to other powers. Aragon to Castille, Naples to the joint forces of Urbino and Milan. However, the trend of Naples decline had recently seen a reversal.

By the summer of 1525, King Louis of France had had enough of his German adventure to protect Wurttemberg. The damage it had caused him on the world stage had been enough for him to accept a concession of defeat from Wurzburg, therefore putting an end to that war.

2013-11-11_00012_zpsbd798316.jpg

Things would quiet down for a little while, rumors about Spain and the Habsburgs harassing French diplomats and merchants would die down. And things began to seem at peace for the remainder of 1525 and throughout most of 1526. During the down time, Sforza Maria would commission the building of new markets, ports, and forts throughout Milan in hopes of increasing trade, tax revenue, and to ensure the cities were safe from outside aggression. Peace had indeed descended, and as 1527 began the thought of a catastrophic war seemed to be nothing more than bad nightmare. Unfortunately, for Sforza Maria, the Peace of 1526 was about to be shattered by the Crisis of 1527.

Unfortunately, for Sforza Maria, the Peace of 1526 was about to be shattered by the Crisis of 1527.

Is it just me or do I hear an ominous "DUN DUNDUN DUN"? (Or more precisely a "DOOM DOOMDOOM DOOM" :rolleyes: )

On another note: I had a game as Brandenburg this weekend when I suddenly discovered that Burgundy had collapsed and was succeded... by Milan. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of this but I immediately thought of this AAR ;)

Well that certainly is an ominous ending. I'm going to hazard a guess that trouble with the Austrians is brewing. You can always count on the Austrians to muck things up :)

Good ole Habsburgs always trying to make life as difficult as humanly possible!

Is it just me or do I hear an ominous "DUN DUNDUN DUN"? (Or more precisely a "DOOM DOOMDOOM DOOM" :rolleyes: )

On another note: I had a game as Brandenburg this weekend when I suddenly discovered that Burgundy had collapsed and was succeded... by Milan. Unfortunately I don't have a screenshot of this but I immediately thought of this AAR ;)

It is pretty ominous, I was actually going to put part of the Crisis of 1227 into that chapter, but decided that cutting it off right there was a lot better of an idea. Always fun to throw out a nice little cliffhanger for people to wonder about for a while ;)

But that's interesting Milan inheriting Burgundy!!! I wish my Sforzas had been lucky like that.

tnick0225 said:
Unfortunately, for Sforza Maria, the Peace of 1526 was about to be shattered by the Crisis of 1527.
Revolution or succession crisis? :cool: I want the latter and see Europe engulfed in a tidal wave of flame, death, and destruction (from the game's perspective only of course!) :p

Revolution or succession crisis? :cool: I want the latter and see Europe engulfed in a tidal wave of flame, death, and destruction (from the game's perspective only of course!) :p

Or some other kind of crisis ;) A tidal wave of death and destruction is probably the most accurate way of describing the monster that is lurking around the corner. And it will be Sforza Maria's first real test as Duke of Milan.

Or some other kind of crisis ;) A tidal wave of death and destruction is probably the most accurate way of describing the monster that is lurking around the corner. And it will be Sforza Maria's first real test as Duke of Milan.

Hmmm, well it promises to be quite the clash of the titans then does it not? ;)

Chapter XLIX – The Beginning of the Habsburg-Sforza Wars

@volksmarschall: Does indeed! Although it may disappoint...

~~~~~
Chapter XLIX – The Beginning of the Habsburg-Sforza Wars

The first three and a half years of Sforza Maria’s reign as Duke of Milan had passed quietly. In fact, things were so peaceful in 1526 that the Secret Council, led by Geronimo Lamberti would argue the finer points of the Liquor Act and the Anti-Piracy Act, both of which the Duke would decide to implement and enforce. Meanwhile, the administration was officially set up in Mantua with a Podesta being nominated and sent to govern the former principality, rather than trying to appoint a new Count there. The people of Milan during that time thought that perhaps the years of war and living under the constant threat of war had disappeared, and that Sforza Maria would usher in an age of eternal peace.

The summer of 1527 however, would prove those dreams to be just that, dreams. The world was like a dry field in the hot summer, just waiting for a spark to make it erupt into all-engulfing flames. That state however, is hard to perceive as an individual and neither Sforza Maria nor his council could foresee the imminent destruction. Of course there were warning signs. Moscati constantly kept informing every one of the battle that was being had in the shadows between France, Spain and Austria. Those were just mere rumor though, things to be taken with a grain of salt.

Or so everyone had thought.

It was on October 6, a week and a half after the blistering summer had officially closed, although the heat still remained, that the conflagration would set foot in the Castello Sforzesco. With that said, it was truly a day in Court like any other. Duke Sforza Maria sat upon a throne, to either side stood Matteo (20 years old), Galeazzo Maria (almost 18 years old), and Lamberti, Moscati, and Testi, all standing off to the side so they could intervene should an issue come up that needed private discussion. The Court was filled mostly with peasants and merchants, local gentry, most of who were trying to secure some subsidies since they all imagined that this year’s crop would be small and therefore posed the potential to bankrupt.

Sforza Maria dealt with it all with ease, sometimes wishing he could be his youngest brother Cosimo’s age (13) so he could study alongside the young newly appointed child Archbishop of Milan Ippolito II d’Este. But, such thoughts were wishful thinking; he took the duties to his people as his divine job and sat through much of the pandering without so much as yawning.

Towards the end of the stories of how much the locals were going to lose due to the dry summer, Sforza Maria, would interrupt and inform them that he would subsidize those families. Even going so far as placing Matteo in charge of ensuring that the funds would be distributed fairly and properly, this brought up a few cheers and sighs of relief from those listening. But through the exuberance some shouting could be heard coming from outside the hall.

The door then swung open and the herald of the court announced, “The Ambassadors of France and Spain!”

The two dignitaries strode forward looking full of rage, and somewhat disheveled as if they had gotten into a fight outside. In fact that is largely what had happened, they had to be pulled apart by the guards that now entered into the Court right behind them. The crowd parted allowing the two men to walk forward to be heard, causing Sforza Maria to lean forward in curiosity. All the while Lamberti shot a glance at Moscati who shrugged as if to say, “I told you to listen to me.”

“What brings the envoys of my two allies and representatives of my cousins to Court on this day?” Sforza Maria said feigning pleasantries, even though he knew this was not going to be a pleasant end to an otherwise tedious day.

“The French,” spat the Spanish Ambassador as he shot a disgusted look at the Frenchman. “They have decided to go back on their peace they signed forfeiting the Low Countries that were rightfully belonging to the Habsburgs and Austria. They have declared war on all of Europe!”

2013-11-11_00017_zps6a0afe07.jpg

Sforza Maria recoiled a little, as Lamberti stepped forward wanting to intervene, “Your grace?” he said but was waved off.

“Is that so?” Sforza Maria asked. “Have the French declared war upon us?”

“No,” the French ambassador answered, “In fact his majesty King Louis, would rather keep Milan out of this argument.”

“No!” The Spaniard exclaimed, “You have declared war on our friend Austria, which is a declaration of war upon us! Which is a declaration of war upon Milan!”

Sforza Maria sighed and rolled his eyes, “Lamberti, what do you make of this nonsense?”

The statesmen stepped forward, glad to finally be given voice, “Milan is friends with both Kingdoms, and you, your grace, share blood with both gracious sovereigns. I would say that France declared war upon Austria, not on Spain, and therefore not on Milan.”

Sforza nodded and shot a glance back at the Spanish Representative, “Lamberti is wise, France did not declare war upon Spain.”

Moscati then spoke up cutting the Spaniards response off, “I wonder why the Spaniard claims that France is the aggressor when Spain and Austria both harassed the French before this. There is more ways to open hostilities than marching armies, and since the Habsburgs as well as this newly named King of Spain blames the French perhaps we should ask what he was doing to French merchants in Seville as well as Vienna?”

Sforza nodded, “Another good point, tell us Spaniard, how does your King explain such accusations?”

The Spanish Ambassador stuttered and was stopped by the French Ambassador, “He has no answer, these Spaniards are despicable, and solely ally with the Habsburgs because they wish to dominate France. They are dishonorable, and they know what crimes they have committed against us.”

“Dishonor!” the Spaniard finally managed to shout. “It will be dishonor if you Duke of Milan, refuse our call to arms to protect the Habsburg’s dominion in the Low Countries.”

This caused Sforza Maria to bolt up to his feet, almost exploding into a rant that would have shocked all those in attendance. Those in attendance were already relatively shocked that anyone would dare speak to the Duke in such a manner. Instead of yelling, Sforza Maria stormed off the dais entering a private audience chamber that was adjacent to the Court. Following him came Lamberti and Moscati and even Matteo, however, Galeazzo Maria remained standing in place just left of the throne. When the door shut, the young man smiled, and sat upon the throne, staring at the Spaniard with a mischievous smile and slowly but loudly proclaimed, “I am going to destroy Spain and your little bitch Austria for the disrespect you just showed my brother.”

~~~~~​
Once inside the private audience chamber Sforza Maria unleashed his rant that he almost exploded with in front of the assembled court. He could not believe that the world was erupting into flames all around him. If he sided with Spain, France would come for Milan, if he sided with France he would lose the one counterbalance he had against possible French aggression. Not that Spain had ever seemed to care about the fate of Milan. Spain had largely been an ally in name only, and now wished to call upon that agreement that had been struck so many years ago. Not that France had proven more valiant and useful, they’d so far been absent as an ally as well. In short it was a classic case of damned if you, damned if you don’t.

“I told everyone this day was coming,” Moscati said, “we should have been more prepared. We could have broken our alliance with Spain, and used this as an opportunity to rip Austria apart, maybe even reclaim Trent which is by rights an ancient Milanese possession.”

“We got too caught up in the tranquility of the past few years,” Sforza Maria said, calming down somewhat. “We should never allow this to happen again.”

Lamberti nodded, “May I suggest something?”

“By all means,” Sforza allowed.

“Let us do nothing,” the statesman replied. “We tell Spain no, and we sit back and watch the powers that be rip themselves apart. We quietly make our moves as their attention is focused upon themselves. Offering quarter to displaced people, it could prove to grow our power to the point where we will be all of their equals.”

“That nothing sounds more like doing something,” Moscati quipped.

“Yes, but in the eyes of France, Austria, and Spain, it will be a large nothing.”

“Invite the Spanish Ambassador in,” Sforza ordered.

A moment later the emissary entered the room, disgust apparent on his face, “Your brother is an animal.”

“He has a fire in him much like our grandfather had,” Sforza answered, ignoring yet another slight from the Spaniard. “Milan will not take part in your war. It is a war that about lands far away from us and therefore none of our business. So my response to your King is that we will do absolutely nothing. No help to France, no help to Spain, no help to anyone. But the moment I hear Spanish troops have expelled our merchants, or crossed into our lands, or any other ill-fate falls upon anyone I know, we will take up arms.”

2013-11-11_00019_zps98239f94.jpg

The Spaniard shook his head, “The King will view this as dishonoring our agreements.”

Sforza shrugged, “So be it. You are aligning yourself with our enemy, and to that I cannot forgive.”

With that the Ambassador was dismissed, and the French Ambassador was called in and told what Milan’s response was. He too was given the same ultimatum, but he was much more malleable. Even going so far as to saying that doing nothing is exactly what King Louis wanted Milan to do in the first place. In Louis XII’s mind, Milan getting involved would unnecessarily sap its strength, and therefore was more useful staying out of the entanglement. He would even go on to say that France would bless any conquests that Sforza Maria wished to embark upon in Italy.

This is how the Diplomatic Crisis of 1527 was handled, which would show how the major powers of Europe would align and largely stay aligned throughout the bulk of the XVI Century. Not only did it set the stage, but it would also serve as the beginning, the First Campaign as it is called, in the long and largely bloody Habsburg-Sforza Wars.

Last edited:
Way to double-cross your ally! :p

How many of the German minors are allied with Austria? And I presume Hungary is either in PU with them or are of the same dynasty and therefore allied?

“I am going to destroy Spain and your little bitch Austria for the disrespect you just showed my brother.”

Hahaha, awesome.

But the moment I hear Spanish troops have expelled our merchants, or crossed into our lands, or any other ill-fate falls upon anyone I know, we will take up arms.”

"You are aligning yourself with our enemy, and to that I cannot forgive.”

Were you channeling Sforza Maria's inner Vito Corleone?

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse!" :ninja:

The Godfather I and II are my two favorite movies of all time! And I can't believe I missed that possible connection reading through the update the first time! But my personal favorite, from Godfather II, just because it highlights the arrogance and power of Michael and Hyman (as well as their relationship), "Michael, we're bigger than US Steel!"

Way to double-cross your ally! :p

How many of the German minors are allied with Austria? And I presume Hungary is either in PU with them or are of the same dynasty and therefore allied?

Double crossing had to be done, Spain never seemed to have any interest in European Affairs anyway, so jettisoning them in favor of the familial bonds with France seemed the wise thing to do at the time...

As far as German minors I don't think there are many that are allies with Austria, may be wrong on that though. Never really checked to be honest. As far as Hungary, they're actually allied with France, and about 40 to 50 years ago were in a PU with Bavaria for a short time, so the dynasty on the Hungarian Throne is the von Wittelsbachs ;)

So Austria is pretty well surrounded with people that hate them.

Hahaha, awesome.

Glad you liked that foreshadowing I did there ;) Galeazzo Maria will play a big role in the future!

Quite probably, although this time I wasn't really thinking about it, unlike in a certain part in my Welf CKII AAR where a scene from Godfather II was at the forefront of my mind when I wrote it ;)

But I love those movies they were amazing as is the book as well.

"I'm gonna make him an offer he can't refuse!" :ninja:

The Godfather I and II are my two favorite movies of all time! And I can't believe I missed that possible connection reading through the update the first time! But my personal favorite, from Godfather II, just because it highlights the arrogance and power of Michael and Hyman (as well as their relationship), "Michael, we're bigger than US Steel!"

You know its funny The Godfather movies are probably some of the few movies that I can actually remember quotes from. Probably because I've watched them more than any other movie...

You sneaky little bastard you. :p
You did what you had to do.

Brilliantly written update tnick. Very interesting dynamic for Milan to be caught up in, and although avoiding war with France was perhaps the realistic choice, it a very interesting point of divergence in the history of the Duchy. What could have transpired had Milan honoured the call? More than likely, some very trying years or even decades ahead with a vengeful France dominating foreign policy concerns

If Spain is to be distracted by the might of France, the road to Vienna may look relatively open and very tempting.

Chapter L - War in France, Peace in Italy

@GreatUberGeek: Indeed I did! And glad to see you caught up!

@Seelmeister: Happy to see you catch up! Messed your comments as of late. You are right though, its a very interesting turning point in Milanese history. And truthfully probably a big turning point in the history of Western Europe. The repercussions of it won't be felt immediately but will definitely come to the forefront in the future. That is of course if France manages to survive the two front war that is about to engulf their lands. In the long-term, no matter what it will probably help clear a path to Vienna, in the short-term it has the great benefit of taking all the major's eyes off of Italy, so that the Sforza can enlarge their stranglehold on the peninsula.

~~~~~
Chapter L - War in France, Peace in Italy

The War between France, Spain, and Austria, began shortly after the conclusion of events that solidified Milan’s neutrality. At first the commencement of the war would focus largely upon naval engagements as fleets of France and Spain set one another on fire as their Armies tried to coalesce into a large enough force to gain the upper hand against the other. The first actual land engagement wouldn’t occur until April of 1528, when Portuguese forces would join the fray and land in Languedoc. Unfortunately for the Portuguese the French were already focused en masse in neighboring Avignon laying siege to Provencal territories, as well as engaging in an annoying Reformer rebellion. It was unfortunate for the Portuguese for one reason; the French allies had 70,000 men in the area to Portugal’s 9,000. The result was a bloody massacre that cost the life of Portugal’s heir-apparent in what the Portuguese would eventually term the Slaughter at Nimes.

The Slaughter at Nimes would also sow the future for Portugal’s outlook on Continental affairs: Something of import, but of little consequence to us, would be the rallying cry of the Portuguese ruling family. From that point on they would focus largely on naval supremacy, sapping the strength of their armies, and begin a period of grand exploration and colonization of new worlds.

In Paris, Louis XII would be pleased by the results in the South, surprised that no other major incursions had occurred. He thought he had the upper hand at that moment. All this was solely due to Austria slowly making agreements with various German Princes for military access so that the Habsburgs could easily march their men from Vienna to the Low Countries of which they were defending. All the while Spain continued to blockade French ports, while Spanish commanders debated on whether or not to commit their men that had been trying to gain a foothold in Northern Africa to a campaign in southern France. Needless to say the war that seemed destined to create images of the apocalypse was off to a slow simmering start.

In Milan things were different. Due to Sforza Maria’s diligence in steering the powerful Lombard Duchy clear into the peaceful cloak of neutrality, came undue success in the economic realm. With ports from Bordeaux to Seville to Languedoc all blockaded, and embargoes running rampant, the trade that would flow into Italy, via Genoa and Venice grew to unprecedented levels. Through this, peace and prosperity became Sforza Maria’s most renowned accomplishment to date. All the former Sforza rulers had a militaristic leaning to them, desiring conquest, and enlargement. But Sforza Maria, seemed to entertain the possibilities of eternal Italian peace.

However, even though things were peaceful in Milan there were events occurring throughout this time that kept Duke Sforza Maria Sforza busy. In April of 1528, Captain-General Fabrizio, the incompetent man who had been relegated to the defenses of Cuneo finally died, leading to the elevation of Luchino Testi, to the role of Captain-General. Testi had been a fervent ally and trusted military adviser to the Sforza Dynasty and his elevation was heralded and celebrated throughout the summer months of that year. Later that year, Sforza would also enter negotiations with the d’Ivrea family (Marchese of Pisa) into integrating their lands into Milan. This was seen as a vital need at the time, as having direct and complete control over Pisa as well as Florence would increase the power of Milan, as well as nearly complete its hold over all of North and Central Italy.

As these things were occurring, the University of Parma would announce the creation of the Flyte. A larger transport vessel that they claimed would, if used, lead to Sforza Maria being able to lead an invasion of Corsica and Sardinia should he so desire. Six months later, Testi, would announce the formation of local regiment systems, placing the brave soldiers of Milan into units based off of their geographical locations. This also helped increase the amount of men willing to enlist into the Armata.

2013-11-11_00022_zps68a44134.jpg
2013-11-11_00024_zpsf1b67773.jpg

The year 1530, began just as peacefully in Milan as the previous years. The war in France was still plodding along rather quietly. Many wondered why Spanish forces had yet to invade southern France, and why they were still holding off happy with holding their blockades of important ports. But there would be news that would shift Sforza Maria’s attentions, and reawaken that urge he felt to put Italy under his thumb.

“My lord,” Captain-General Testi said as he and Moscati sat down in the Council Chamber. “The Hungarians apparently decided it was time to invade Bohemia once again.”

Sforza Maria furrowed his brow, “Really?”

“Yes,” Testi nodded. “Bohemia has yet to recover from the last invasion, and Hungary is already bearing down on Prague.”

“All of our enemies are ensnared by their own wars,” Sforza said thoughtfully. “How can we capitalize upon this?”

“Well, I think carrying on with this course of slowly building our lands up, is the best course of action,” Moscati said slowly. “It’s best to use this time wisely, improve our defenses, increase our ability to recruit men, as well building better ports, and markets to help us in taking over trade in Venice.”

Sforza nodded. And Moscati continued, “But apparently some researchers at Parma, have been digging into your ancestry. And have come to the conclusion you are of direct descent from none other than Julius Caesar.”

Sforza laughed, “Are those researchers being paid by the Spaniards?” Moscati shook his head slightly confused, when the Duke continued, “I ask because Caesar invaded France (Gaul), and I would assume Spain still would like us to involve ourselves in such an undertaking.”

Testi laughed at that as well, “Does it matter? It gives us legitimacy over all of Italy being able to claim such a thing.”

“True enough, tell the researchers to publish their findings.”

2013-11-11_00025_zps050e1240.jpg

“Also not that it is of much important but King Henry VIII Frederick Lancaster has come to the throne in England,” Moscati stated shifting the conversation.

Sforza Maria waved his hand uninterested, “Where is Lamberti?”

“He fell ill last night,” Moscati answered. “Would you like me to go check in on him?” The Duke nodded, and Moscati stood and left the Chambers. Testi and Sforza sat waiting when after a while Moscati returned looking dour. “Geronimo Lamberti seems to have no more desire to grace this world with his presence, your grace,” Moscati announced.

“He is dead?”

“Yes.”

2013-11-11_00026_zpsdb44b5f8.jpg

The death of Geronimo Lamberti would change the future of Milan. He had guided the duchy through the dark times of having Austria and France eyeing Milan for conquest. He had trained, and taught Sforza Maria the finer points of politics, leaving behind what would hopefully be a long lasting legacy. There was unfortunately no one to fill the void that he would leave behind and the Duke of Milan would now have to navigate the world that was erupting into war on his own.

This, however, was not the only death that would alter the course of future events. For, as the year 1530 came to a close, and 1531 began, another death of a great leader would shake the world, and break the stalemate that had taken hold in the First Campaign of the Habsburg-Sforza Wars.

I should let you know that if you ruin the Habsburg Empire I will stop reading your AAR! :mad: :p But feel free to join with the Habsburgs as much as you like! ;)

But finding a family lineage (albeit likely forged) tracing the dynasty back to Julius Caesar is mightily impressive! :cool:

I should let you know that if you ruin the Habsburg Empire I will stop reading your AAR! :mad: :p But feel free to join with the Habsburgs as much as you like! ;)

But finding a family lineage (albeit likely forged) tracing the dynasty back to Julius Caesar is mightily impressive! :cool:

Haha ruin the Habsburg Empire: Never (well...maybe...). Join the Habsburgs: Never (well...maybe...)

:p

I thought that event was quite impressive as well. Definitely made me laugh and I had to find a way to include that event into the AAR lol :)

Haha ruin the Habsburg Empire: Never (well...maybe...). Join the Habsburgs: Never (well...maybe...)

:p

I thought that event was quite impressive as well. Definitely made me laugh and I had to find a way to include that event into the AAR lol :)

My Europhilia is pretty much contained to England (philosophically and culturally) and to Austria (historically, musically, and because I'm part Austrian! ;) )

Yeah, that Julius Caesar Event was a really nice Easter Egg by Paradox. Very cool by them. I had to look at the picture again just to make sure I read it right the first time! :p