• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Chapter XIII

The Character of Emperor John IX, His Importance, and Death

Emperor John, having to abandon his campaign in Italy to deal with rebels in Roman Georgia, would come to successfully confront and defeat the Georgian rebels outside of T’blishi. The battle wasn’t much a battle, as much as it was a slaughter. The Roman army hit the rebels before properly forming up, having learned from centuries of fighting the Mohammedans and their hit and run and unprofessional war tactics filled with ambushes, the Romans applied the same methods learned through four centuries of military defeats against the seasoned Georgian rebels.

Ever since the Battle of Manzikert in 1071 AD, the Roman armies and their prestige and performance on the battlefield had slacked. While they periodically remained victorious in battle, particularly during the period of the Komnenian Recovery, the Roman forces themselves could never match the lure and attraction – indeed the mythology of the Roman armies of old. Yet, in the last 40 years, the Roman army and navy had performed extremely well in military situations all things considered. Returning to Constantinople having defeated the Neapolitans and warded off a rebellion in Georgia, John IX was riding a wave of ecstasy and excitement like no emperor – save for Michael VIII, after he triumphantly re-entered Constantinople ending the Latin occupation of the city, would have felt.

In Roman history however, it is natural for all good things to come to an end. On July 22, 1484, John IX suddenly died. He was succeeded by his son, Theodoras I. Some saw John’s death as untimely and unfortunate. Others saw his death suspiciously, perhaps even having been perpetrated by his son Theodoras to quickly ascend to the throne as there were additional rumors that John IX was preparing to name Theodoras's younger brother, and John's unequivocal favorite son, John (naturally named after himself to inflate both their egos) as the new heir.

The entertainment theories of John’s death hold little credibility outside of mere coincidence. It is true that during John’s reign he had tried to combat the growing power of the despotates and the local nobles in Greece and Asia Minor who were effectively running the empire without imperial jurisdiction or consult. It makes little sense that the nobles, as sometimes theorized, would have killed an emperor who opposed them because John’s bids to halt the growing power of the despotates failed, and repeatedly failed.

The strong ally he believed he had in the Church was never a true oppositional force to the growing power of the despotates. The Church possessed lands, this much is true, and as long as the Church owned these lands the nobles would never be able to acquire them, but the Church would never be able to take the lands away from the Roman nobles – the true source of the power among the despotates. In addition, despite military success in Italy and Asia Minor, his military triumphs were small in scale, and properly misplaced. Rather than uniting Thrace (Constantinople) with either Asia Minor or Greece, thus creating a coherent and unified empire logistically, his conquests, especially in Southern Italy, only furthered created a disunited empire. Magna Graecia, as Southern Italy had been historically called after Greek colonization in Classical Antiquity, was but another serious problem in the political development of the empire. Far away from the halls of the imperial palace in Constantinople, Magna Graecia risked becoming another independent despotate in its own right, much like Albania or Cyprus. The larger despotates of Greece (formerly known as the Morea) and Trebizond were central points of local power politics.

The Church was John's strongest ally during his reign, and he also empowered the Church as well. This icon depicts Christ's "Harrowing of Hell," when Christ descended into Hell after his crucifixion and entered as the conquering liberator of death itself. Specifically, we see Christ leading the procession out of the jaws of Hell and into the new paradise (Heaven), with Adam and Eve at his immediate left. The "Harrowing of Hell" is a central theological moment in both the Catholic and Orthodox Church's understanding of soteriology and salvation history.

The serious problems created in the wake of John VIII’s reign were still readily apparent, and neither of his successors – Constantine XI or John IX had successfully solved, or even resolved to effectively solve the problem of logistical disunity and the power held within the despotates. Constant obstructionism was common practice, and always served as a thorn in the side of the emperor. The nobles had his ear, whether he liked it or not and never had much authority or ability to shake off their shackles.

In this sense, much like John VIII, John IX is yet another failed emperor. While he certainly deserves credit in a rather poor attempt to challenge the power of the despotates through the medium of the Greek Orthodox Church, and while his military campaigns ended in victory – his inability to effectively overturn the power and prestige of the local nobles was his great mistake or failure during his reign. To this degree, Theodoras would fair little better, as his reign was marred wars with the Turks, Italians, and rebellions in Greece.

However, the relative security afforded to the empire under John IX would hasten and bring about the Greek Renaissance – a great cultural, philosophical, and scientific revolution across the Roman Empire not seen since the Macedonian Renaissance. Although this Greek Renaissance more or less began to ascend during Theodoras’s reign, and climaxed with the reign of John’s nephew (John X), he is deserving of recognition for the foundations and slow development of the Greek Renaissance.

In the annals of historians and emperors, John therefore falls into an equivalent category akin to Diocletian. At the surface a successful and competent emperor who had the best interests of the empire at his heart. However, like Diocletian, the failures of his reign would become more pronounced as time went on. While Diocletian had solved the increased burden of empire by dividing it in two, the creation of the Tetrarchy effectively laid the path for the brutal Civil Wars of the Tetrarchy to follow, and the split of the empire along its Latin-Greek lines, the Greek half being the more prosperous and economically developed portion than the Western Latin-Barbarian half, ensured that the Western half of the Roman Empire was set up to fail, rather than succeed (Diocletian even made himself emperor of the eastern half, knowing full well that even though Rome itself was the spiritual capital of the empire, it was the eastern Greek half of the empire that the future of Roman civilization lay). The decline and fall of the Roman Empire in the east can be attributed to political disunity and a non-existence centralized authority, although the future emperor John X did bring the despotates to their knees during his remarkable reign.

Lastly, despite diplomatic dealings with the Habsburgs in Vienna, the Roman Empire was still isolated with few friends and many jealous, angry, or weak (Orthodox) neighbors. John’s failed administrative policies and successful military campaigns took away from the needed diplomacy of the empire. Theodoras would look to a weakened Servia and a former enemy in Naples to secure the Roman frontier and possible allies to ward off, or throw off, Mohammedan rule.

Thus, the death of John is truly a true Greek tragedy. He knew of the problems of the empire and tried, although he failed in doing so, to solve the empire’s many problems. His enthusiasm and commitment to the right of the empire seemed to physically drain his health until his death. He had the best interests of the empire at heart, and his military triumphs, from the re-acquisition of Athens, Southern Italy, and warding off a rebellion in Georgia showed his military competency. The Council of Constantinople, convened at his behalf, was also an important moment in the history of the Greek Orthodox Church. The Council also served as a catalyst for the religious renaissance that occurred within the larger scope of the Greek Renaissance of the last years of the fifteenth century and into the early decades of the sixteenth. Unlike John VIII and Constantine XI, who never attempted to solve the problems of the despotates, John IX blazed a path for future emperors to follow, and although Theodoras was preoccupied to do so, it wouldn’t be until John X would follow in the road map to centralize the empire, but he himself had unsavory hallmarks of his human existence that I shall delve deeper into in Volume 2. In that sense, when looking in the schools, the churches, and the palaces to find a soul worthy of salvation from their impending oblivion, John IX would be the only soul worthy of such rescue.

An icon of John IX, depicted as an unofficial saint for his work with the Orthodox Church during his reign.

However, despite his accomplishments, a final shortcoming was his refusal to pursue a Hellenizing campaign in the conquered territories. The Italians who were now under Roman jurisdiction from afar, still retained their Catholicity and Neapolitan identity. This however, is not wholly to be condemned. For, in many ways, the Roman Empire was the first cosmopolitan empire in the world, a society and nation akin to the values championed by even our more modern liberal democratic states. While the body politic was certainly aristocratic and they held their power with an iron fist, the multitude of peoples of different ethnic backgrounds and religions coming together to form a civil society that was generally peaceful to one another, Catholics, Orthodox, Jews, and Mohammedans all under one roof, is something the empire should be commended for.

Last edited:
But multicultural states were a norm before the 19th century. ;)
Just as multi-religious realms were norm before the Christians decided every pagan had to be converted by sword if necessary to cement their power. :p

But multicultural states were a norm before the 19th century. ;)
Just as multi-religious realms were norm before the Christians decided every pagan had to be converted by sword if necessary to cement their power. :p

Some might say there never have been "multi-religious" states in the absolute pluralistic sense. This is true even in America today, since our civil religion is a watered down form of liberal Protestantism that united the dozens of major Protestant bodies under a unifying themes of social betterment, and that as a country we (the USA) have the burden "of the cross" (the world), and will suffer death and resurrection (from the civil war), etc. to build a better future, to which the CC in America is essentially Protestant when you actually ask Catholics in America what they believe, it's usually always more similar to what Protestants believe than what the Church teaches (Robert Bellah is the seminal figure in this field of study). Everyone tries to merge the multi-religious composition of their states into a single unified body through different means, instead of conversion like in the past, today's states just create civil religions instead. The Romans pioneered civil religion after all!

Saying ancient kingdoms or empires as multicultural would be anachronistic however, so most "serious" scholars won't go that route. Although contemporary apologists for the Romans and Byzantines, and early Islamic scholars will make such claims.

Last edited:
I caught up…taking Athens was great…too bad the rebels halted your conquest…isolation and having no friends puts you at a big disadvantage. Furthermore, if you had the troops, all of Europe would tremble by the Roman advance as it once had.

As for Religious unity, or disunity, even within the same faith there are differences as no one teaches the same way. Take the Scot-Irish in the Ozarks; they had to adopt their beliefs to the teachings of traveling preachers which led to the Baptists (sort of a transformation). As for watering down the teachings, you’re right. In early America, as time went on, the teachings had to be shaped to the community.

Your AAR is wonderfully written. It gives thought on how a historical representation ARR should be written.

Last edited:
I caught up…taking Athens was great…too bad the rebels halted your conquest…isolation and having no friends puts you at a big disadvantage. Furthermore, if you had the troops, all of Europe would tremble by the Roman advance as it once had.

As for Religious unity, or disunity, even within the same faith there are differences as no one teaches the same way. Take the Scot-Irish in the Ozarks; they had to adopt their beliefs to the teachings of traveling preachers which led to the Baptists (sort of a transformation). As for watering down the teachings, you’re right. In early America, as time went on, the teachings had to be shaped to the community.

Your AAR is wonderfully written. It gives thought on how a historical representation ARR should be written.

It's great to see that your fully caught up my friend! The Europeans will be feeling the iron fist of raw Roman military power in the coming decades, which will be one of the major loci for Volume 2, which will begin when I actually get to writing it (since I have one more planned update before closing Volume 1 and starting Volume 2)! :glare:

To that end, 16 pages for the first volume is better than I envisioned, and I want to thank everyone for your kind words and comments! :cool:

Yet, as we approach Volume 2, I have certain things, both required and for my own enjoyment, that I think might distract me for a couple weeks! :p

Peter Heather, one of the great young (if 54 is considered young) historians of Rome in the English speaking world has published 3 great works on the late Roman Empire and its aftermath: The Restoration of Rome (2014), Empires and Barbarians (2009) and the book that really made him famous - The Fall of the Roman Empire (2005). I must admit, I feel ashamed that it took so long to complete his set, especially since the missing book was his most famous and first published! But now that I finally got it today, along with other books, I'll be taking a week to read it! :p

Plus, I get to pay a visit to a couple of our favorite primary sources in ancient history for continued work in historiography. Virgil's The Aeneid, Tacitus's Annals, Seutonius's The Twelve Caesars, and Herodotus's The Histories!

I couldn't recommend this books more to anyone interested in the classical world and Late Antiquity (the terminology historians use instead of the putred and misleading archaic term "Dark Ages"). Plus, the great thing about NOT being a historian/researcher is that you all can read the books for fun or enjoyment while I have to do it because I'm told I have to! :p It's been years since I've read these ancient historians, so it'll probably be refreshing to revisit them. Plus, the copy of the Annals I have is the new Penguin publication from 2013, which is very nice since my old copy was on its last legs. Looking at my library, I didn't realize how many books from Penguin Classics I have! :eek:

Last edited:
Ling live the penguins! I get my Voltaire from them :blush:

Chapter XIII

The Ascendancy of Theodoras I, The End of the First Volume

Upon the death of John IX, who, in his passing, was remembered as John IX “the Liberator” and also John “the Apostle”, his son Theodoras ascended to the throne of Augustus Caesar. Although the position of the Roman Empire had changed greatly since the dire times under John VIII, the empire itself was still in a tenuous position.

The reign of Theodoras is remembered for many things, but also marred by historians who asserted that he had secretly poisoned his father to ascend to the throne. Almost immediately, his ruleship was challenged, primarily by Roman nobles who may have thought this to be a golden opportunity to right the ship after the efforts of John IX to curb their influence and power. Duke Gjon Kastrioti of Albania raised his personal armies, about 5,000 strong, to assert claim to Albanian independence from Theodoras’s rule. Naturally, the uprising was promptly put down with terrible vengeance. Duke Gjon was exiled, a lucky decision if there ever was one in Roman politics, and the people of the Albanian territories were made to pay the reparations for the revolt, deaths, and destruction. This seemed to be a harsh penalty upon the subjects of a rather destitute area of the empire itself, as it would be impossible for the Albanian Depsotate to pay off such reparations and in doing so – being a frontier province against the Mohammedans, would also be open to invasion with little defensive hopes.

A depiction of Theodoras, dressed in his military garb, probably from one of the episodes of the Italian Wars.

As the Roman nobility challenged the young year old emperor, the emperor fought back with a vicious stroke of his iron rod! He had developed, while heir to the throne, an elaborate network of spies akin to that of the Empress Theodora almost 1,000 years ago. Any person who was caught slandering the emperor or merely spoke poorly of him was a target suspect of the spy ring. Accounts detail of thousands of men, and even women, being dragged from their homes or even during church services and imprisoned in the dark and dank undergrounds of the prison system of Constantinople. Here, they rooted and eventually died of malnutrition, or they were never heard from again (possibly exiled into to Mohammedan Turkey).

As emperor, Theodoras had little charming or endearing qualities. While being a competent enough administrator and not afraid to lead the Roman armies in combat, principally against the Venetians and Mohammedans later in his reign, of any possible venerable quality or trait he had a ten-fold reversal with negative traits. As mentioned, he was extremely paranoid and brutal towards those who opposed him. He was also, for a lack of a better word, a maniac he stayed up far too late into the early hours of the morning and never rested more than 4 hours a night. His psychological health is not in question, he was simply mad. For this, it is stunning that his administrative abilities were as capable as they were – or perhaps he had just surrounded himself with good advisors?

Certainly one of the more tragic moments during his reign was the death of his brother John. Theodoras never married, that is not surprising. Thus, he himself was incapable to produce and heir. Some of his opponents said his lack of a love life was the fact that he was far to effeminate for a man, or that he was infertile and had been cursed by God for murdering his father – John IX. When his brother died, his nephew, another John (who would eventually become John X, the principal focus on my work in Volume 2) became the rightful heir to the throne of Constantinople.

While it is generally accepted that his brother died of natural causes, just at a tender and young age, his death did not stop Theodoras’s enemies from capitalizing on the longstanding belief that he was a power-monger, power-hungry, and outright vindictive and insane. One priest in Constantinople referred to him as the modern Caligula. Another opined that he was a spawn of the Anti-Christ, of the two priestly opinions, the first is more likely the second – in fact, I would not otherwise entertain the idea of Theodoras being an Anti-Christ if not the humor I find in the story.

One of the his most ardent opponents was Duke Eirenikos of Thessaly, part of the Despotate of Greece. Duke Eirenikos hailed from a longstanding Greek family with their lineage going as far back as the days of the emperor Justinian. Naturally, one might say that the Duke felt that he was entitled to the throne instead of the effeminate murdering and scheming Theodoras. This was his last and only mistake he ever made in his life – for he should have been aware of the outcome of speaking so harshly toward the emperor.

As it was common in ancient Roman society to commit a “noble” suicide in one’s bath, Duke Eirenikos was bathing in his palace when he was discovered dead. More peculiarly, the window to the room containing the bath was open according to the accounts of his servants he opined of his most untimely death in his bathtub. It is doubtful that he had been offered the noble solution to his rejection of the emperor – it is more probable that someone under the emperor’s guidance had infiltrated his palace and killed him while bathing. In fitting irony, such a murder would have been perfect, as it was sometimes common for the nobility and upper echelon of the Roman nobility to indulge in such sinful practices fully condemned by the Church. Thus, his murder was seen as a suicide, even though the weight of scholarly evidence suggesting it was a murder. A colleague of mine exhumed his remains, or believed remains, to find characteristic stab marks in the back of his neck – the most unusual place if one was to commit a suicide.

Aw jeez, here we go again.

Perhaps however, had Theodoras been less insane, he could have been the emperor to defeat the power of the despotates so distributive in necessary centralization of the empire in order to preserve its existence. It is also during this time that the young Prince John had his formative years in Constantinople beside his uncle, something that perhaps came to affect him in a good way – as John X was the only emperor to realize the problems of the decentralized empire and took steps to try and amend the power of the despotates and restore formal and outright authority to the power of the rightful Caesar.

If there ever was a character to be so loathed in Roman history, right beside Caligula, it would Theodoras. Although he certainly has his defenders, it is a part of the human experience to revel in the instances of such madmen having their fall. Like seeing the emperor with no clothes on, Theodoras’s crashing fall from grace is the epitome of what it would have been like to see Caligula on trial. Even after Theodoras had arranged a marriage with a Hungarian noble, the nobleman he had arranged the marriage with was murdered within 2 years of their living together. When confronted by his sister, Theodoras remarked that her husband was plotting to rally a Hungarian army to invade the empire, seize Constantinople, and destroy the beacon of Rome for good. Such lies and follies are not deserving of praise or defense.

In any case however, while domestic turmoil was the norm of Theodoras’s 13 year descent into madness and hell – he did achieve remarkable success in matters pertaining to foreign policy. As I shall cover in the forthcoming sections – his war with the Venetians marked the beginning of Rome’s involvement in the Italian Wars. He also had the honorific privilege of being the first Roman emperor since the Palaiologoi Restoration to lead a Roman Army in Asia Minor to give battle to the Mohammedans, a feat impressive in of itself it was it not marred by defeat. Yet, his wars against the Turks proved the vulnerability of the Mohammedan Kingdom, which his nephew John X would exploit during his reign.

Thus it is here my dear readers, that I bring about the conclusion of the first volume of the Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization and will begin with my work concerning Volume 2: John the Great and the Rise of Empire, which will carry the story with the end of Theodoras’s reign and the beginning of John X’s reign and bid for universal empire in the east.

END OF VOLUME 1

Last edited:
Would ancient Persia be a good example of a pluralistic state? Loose confederation of satraps?

As for the game, when did you gain Thessaly? :eek:
Or is it just a title held by some courtier? :p

Looks like some latter generation rulers did not like Theodoros... one does not see often see such critique against a Roman Emperor. :p
I remember this occasion of Nikephoros Phocas, some bishop did not like him, so he was portrayed in a way in some text that just reeks of hatred against the man.

Well Theodoras seems like he was quite the tyrant. For some reason though I have a soft spot for tyrants in history, I always enjoyed the likes of Caligula, Nero, and others, guess its because the more tyranical leaders seem to be more interesting and dramatic stories to follow.

Sounds like John X will be quite the great ruler, and with the foreshadowing of some major Roman gains in the near future, I dare say Volume 2 will hold some interesting tales :)

It sounds like Theodoras had mental issues, perhaps a form of schizophrenia. If this is the case, then I believe some pity is called for. After all, such forms of illness were often misunderstood, rarely treated, and their victims reviled, as is the case of Theodoras.

EDIT: Though now that Tanzhang has pointed it out, it does seem as though you stated that Theodoras had no such issues. Still, I wonder at how an early twentieth century historian could know the psychological state of a Roman emperor who lived five hundred years before hand.

Last edited:
I dunno about schizophrenia, but acute paranoia certainly. BPD might be an alternative explanation for his patricidal tendencies, although volksmarschall appears to state quite adamantly state that his motivation in that was plain old-fashioned ambition and power-hunger rather than anything psychological.

He was also, for a lack of a better word, a maniac he stayed up far too late into the early hours of the morning and never rested more than 4 hours a night.

As I believe did Margaret Thatcher. Coincidence? :p

Finally on the subject of classical texts and the English language translations thereof, what is the author's opinion of the new Holland translation of Herodotus and, for the poetically challenged, the West translation of the Aeneid?

Would ancient Persia be a good example of a pluralistic state? Loose confederation of satraps?

Probably be the closest thing you would get in the ancient world. Unlike that horrid depiction in 300, the Persians were fondly written of by those they ruled over and were the quintessential epitome of "benevolent empire." Well, the Jews definitely thought so. Cyrus the Great was even identified as the Messiah! :cool:

Enewald said:
As for the game, when did you gain Thessaly? :eek:
Or is it just a title held by some courtier? :p

Back in like page 6 or 7 I think, "The First Macedonian War."

Enewald said:
Looks like some latter generation rulers did not like Theodoros... one does not see often see such critique against a Roman Emperor. :p
I remember this occasion of Nikephoros Phocas, some bishop did not like him, so he was portrayed in a way in some text that just reeks of hatred against the man.

Character assassinations in history are as old as the written word itself! :p

Well Theodoras seems like he was quite the tyrant. For some reason though I have a soft spot for tyrants in history, I always enjoyed the likes of Caligula, Nero, and others, guess its because the more tyranical leaders seem to be more interesting and dramatic stories to follow.

Sounds like John X will be quite the great ruler, and with the foreshadowing of some major Roman gains in the near future, I dare say Volume 2 will hold some interesting tales :)

Tyrants are always more fun to write about and to prob their mind trying to understand them. Volume 2 will be the apex of this AAR, or at least on the positive end, since as I have it planned, Volume 3 will see the decline and fall. Volume 2 will wrap up with our friend above, and mostly follow John X and his reign. Quite the ruler if I may say so myself...

It sounds like Theodoras had mental issues, perhaps a form of schizophrenia. If this is the case, then I believe some pity is called for. After all, such forms of illness were often misunderstood, rarely treated, and their victims reviled, as is the case of Theodoras.

EDIT: Though now that Tanzhang has pointed it out, it does seem as though you stated that Theodoras had no such issues. Still, I wonder at how an early twentieth century historian could know the psychological state of a Roman emperor who lived five hundred years before hand.

You need to read more Enlightenment to early twentieth century histories, historians are always highly critical and do not relent upon the subject matter. After all, the historiography of this time line was dominated by Enlightenment values, moralism, and liberalism. Pretty much anyone and any state that did not fit the bill was frowned upon in virtually every writing. Until Leopold van Ranke came along and tried to make history more "objective," sympathy for one's subject will generally not be found! Although from a 21st century perspective, I agree. Theodoras really isn't that bad if you know what actually happened in the game, but a couple of noble assassination events and the death of his brother (the presumptive heir) and I take literary license to turn him into a power monger. Plus, that event fired when he was alive so, all the more reason to make him more interesting than he really was as an invisible figure in the game! :p

I dunno about schizophrenia, but acute paranoia certainly. BPD might be an alternative explanation for his patricidal tendencies, although volksmarschall appears to state quite adamantly state that his motivation in that was plain old-fashioned ambition and power-hunger rather than anything psychological.

As I believe did Margaret Thatcher. Coincidence? :p

Finally on the subject of classical texts and the English language translations thereof, what is the author's opinion of the new Holland translation of Herodotus and, for the poetically challenged, the West translation of the Aeneid?

By Holland are you referring to Tom Holland? I'm sure, since I believe he was trained in ancient history/late antiquity, his Greek translation of Herodotus will be fine. I just don't really like him as a historian since I think his histories of the Persians and of Islam (an area of concentrated studies I had) just seems to be very neo-Orientalist imo.

I prefer the more recent Fagles translation of the Aeneid than David West's version that I have, both published by Penguin Classics. Robert Fagles was a world renown classical scholar and literature professor. Although I would probably need to have the original in Latin and translate it myself before making a judgment over which is truer to the original form.

Last edited:
Preface for Volume 2

Preface to the Reader Volume 2​

Having moved through the reign of Emperor John VIII and the rise of the Despotates under the reigns of Constantine XI, John IX, the second volume of my installment of the Decline and Fall or Roman Civilization will primarily cover the reign of John X and the influences and ramifications of Theodoras I’s foreign policies against the Italians and Mohammedans upon John’s reign. During his reign as Roman emperor John X brought a new sense of patriotism, virtue, and power to the long since forgotten empire that had been confined to the locale of a single city during much of the fourteenth and first half of the fifteenth century.

During his reign however, while embroiling the empire in conflicts in Italy and Thrace, the most notable moments in his reign was his attempt at administrative reform and the centralization of Imperial authority to wrestle into the sphere of Imperial dominion the various despotates who had risen to great prominence and power over the past several centuries following the death of John VIII. His marriage to the beautiful yet mysterious Sophia would also cause problems for him later in his reign - and upon his death, and the death of Manuel III, her elevation to the front of the Regency Council that would be established for the young Emperor Constantine XII will lead us to the intended conclusion of my work in the third volume of the Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization.

It is often said the (Byzantine) General Belisarius was “The Last of the Romans,” but I think it is more fitting that this title go to the emperor John, who although a cultural Hellene by every stretch, his brutality, intelligence, dreams, ambitions, skills, and victorious rival that of the Romans nearly a millennia earlier. Thus it is I shall continue to chronicle the social, religious, economic, political, and military affairs that transpire during the empire in the reign of John X up through his wars with the Venetians and French in the Italian Wars, to his unfortunate death in the midst of sweeping administrative reforms that had been long overdue.

~ Edward Lamillar (volksmarschall)

Last edited:
Well, it says Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization and not Empire, so I hope that happens soon - Roman power politics and brutality needs to be replaced by Greek learning and what passes as democracy!

Ah yes, Wikipedia.
Well, I just got back to this and got caught up in time for Volk to finish. Seems to me Theodoras was just an ambitious boy. :)
I enjoyed that bit about the liturgical differences. I do wonder about followers of the different religions statements on accuracy of the liturgy when I don't think the originator spoke latin, he used Hebrew or Aramaic I believe.
Anyways, great job. I'll follow the next part too.:cool:

Just catching up volk, absolutely wonderful stuff. The bit about the Duke stabbing himself in the back did make me chuckle.

Thanks Jape, glad to know you've caught up! I'm also glad you got a laugh out of the suicide-murder controversy! :p Got to have some attempt at humor on occasion. :p

Wasn't Äetius supposed to be the last Roman? ;)

Too many "Last of the Romans" for too many people. Valens, Aetius, Belisarius. Well, I suppose you can very truthfully say that Flavius Aetius was the "Last Roman" in the West.

Well, it says Decline and Fall of Roman Civilization and not Empire, so I hope that happens soon - Roman power politics and brutality needs to be replaced by Greek learning and what passes as democracy!

Well then, perhaps you'll enjoy the amount of time I intend to cover on the "Greek Renaissance" in this section of the AAR, once I get to writing it that is! ;) More culture! :cool:

Wikipedia names 23 people as having the title "Last Roman"

And in this instance, I would actually endorse that wikipedia article as I have frequented it before!

Ah yes, Wikipedia.
Well, I just got back to this and got caught up in time for Volk to finish. Seems to me Theodoras was just an ambitious boy. :)
I enjoyed that bit about the liturgical differences. I do wonder about followers of the different religions statements on accuracy of the liturgy when I don't think the originator spoke latin, he used Hebrew or Aramaic I believe.
Anyways, great job. I'll follow the next part too.:cool:

Yes, you can say he was ambitious, although he will be sticking around for a little bit in the planned Volume 2 before we get John X. More or less I had some pop-up events happen during his reign, which I then used to make him into a "monster." Assassination of a noble. Power-Hungry madman! :p

While Jesus spoke Aramaic, the mass and liturgy of Early Christianity (coming into being post-70 CE after the Sack of Jerusalem were more than likely in Latin (in the West, future RCC) and in Greek (in the East, future Orthodox communions) after the generation of Jewish-Christians passed away. Well, the problem with Volume 2 is that I haven't gotten to writing it yet, unfortunately. Seeing that I've done a lot of profesional work on the Byzantines recently, it's drained my capacity to want to write about them, even if for a game! Although I'm sure that I'll get cracking in short order. Possibly by the end of the week or beginning of next at the latest.

Cheers!

I might as well be the umpteenth person to say that I have finally caught up after being away for five weeks. :blush:

Volume One was a great read, volksmarschall. It took a while to get the hang of it due to my lack of knowledge about the subject matter. However, after being able to settle in, I found Volume One to be worth it. I have no doubt Volume Two will be just as worth it.