• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
An interesting turn of events cutting of the Roman empire off from Eschatology. Even now many ecclesiastic Orthodox (at least in Greece) holy books are bound depicting the Χ Ρ (meaning Christ, supposedly the symbol used by Constantines legions to win the final battle that gave him the throne and later symbol of the Roman army) and many churches recently have started to fly the tetragramic banner of the empire.
There are also many rumors, hearsay and what not about prophecies from certain monks in mount Athos, that are foretelling a restoration of the empire several years before the end times come, leading to a brief period of global prosperity.

Even after the fall the empire never ceased to concern the clergy, so I find it a very intresting change :)

Superbly written as always.

Nice update on religion. The Orthodox churches have always kind of interested me in their beliefs and what not, but usually have a hard time understanding what is meant by Liturgies and the actual terms used when talking about religious ceremonies. The theological discussions on God and the nature of God I can follow better than the Liturgies and those other things lol.

But then again having not stepped inside a church for 15 years, I'm not surprised that I don't understand what terms mean with regards to those Sunday gatherings :p

Once again quite a great chapter! And reaching 100 pages in a word text is quite a bit :)

Nice update on religion. The Orthodox churches have always kind of interested me in their beliefs and what not, but usually have a hard time understanding what is meant by Liturgies and the actual terms used when talking about religious ceremonies. The theological discussions on God and the nature of God I can follow better than the Liturgies and those other things lol.

I have studied Greek extensively and I can tell you that the Greek of that time, though not that different are quite...mystical dare I say.
The fact that the chants are in a superbly melodic type doesn't help understanding much either. You can compare it to someone studying English etc without aligning his ears to the language, then he attempts to listen music, chances are he wont understand a thing on the first 2-3 tries. Its kinda comparable. Heck I have Greek friends who dont understand several words of the passages even if they read them.

I would urge anyone who has at least some passing interest in such matters to go and observe a liturgy (regardless of beliefs and what not). You will find it to be a great experience, unlike the semi sterile rites of ours in the west (or should I say x ours, referring to me)

Really enjoyed these recent updates. You've already outlasted the Byzantium of our timeline, and by the tenor of those recent updates it seems safe to say that at least a few decades of life remain :D

Arians heretic? No, you are a heretic for claiming so! :angry::laugh:

We must have an Arian sympathizer among our midst! :p I didn't claim so, the Early Church dictated so! :eek:

An interesting turn of events cutting of the Roman empire off from Eschatology. Even now many ecclesiastic Orthodox (at least in Greece) holy books are bound depicting the Χ Ρ (meaning Christ, supposedly the symbol used by Constantines legions to win the final battle that gave him the throne and later symbol of the Roman army) and many churches recently have started to fly the tetragramic banner of the empire.
There are also many rumors, hearsay and what not about prophecies from certain monks in mount Athos, that are foretelling a restoration of the empire several years before the end times come, leading to a brief period of global prosperity.

Even after the fall the empire never ceased to concern the clergy, so I find it a very intresting change :)

Superbly written as always.

Mount Athos, I do believe I should have an update about what's going on up in the wonder hills of Greece! :cool:

But then again having not stepped inside a church for 15 years, I'm not surprised that I don't understand what terms mean with regards to those Sunday gatherings :p

Once again quite a great chapter! And reaching 100 pages in a word text is quite a bit :)

I'm not claiming to know what your understanding of theology is, but it is from my experience that even many committed religious believers have poor understandings of theology. Understanding the Platonic concept of theoprepes is essentially to any understanding of Early Christianity and the actual "faith" that is outlined by the great philosophers and theologians of both the Western and Eastern Tradition. Since most people, believers and unbelievers alike don't immerse themselves in the philosophical and theological tradition of the Hellenistic world, I generally don't like to dialogue with any of them as a philosopher since, after about 5 minutes, it becomes apparent they have no idea what they're talking about! :p I'm a philosopher and heavily read in the Church Fathers and Christian theology and even I hold my head in pain sometimes... :glare:

As someone who attends mass twice a week of course, I am well-familiar with the structure of liturgies, although I embarrassingly admit as a Catholic, that the Orthodox liturgies are just so much more ornate and beautiful! :eek:o Not to egg you into a Church, but if there's an Orthodox parish by you, you should enter just for the festivities and the chanting itself! After all, that's one of the reasons why the proto-Russians became Orthodox - after entering the Hagia Sophia, the story goes, they were so caught up with the splendor of the cathedral and the experience of the liturgy they wrote back that they were unsure if they had died and gone to heaven or if heaven had come down to earth! Also, the fact that Muslims and Buddhists invited to the Kieven Court forbade the consumption of alcohol and the Christian delegates said drinking alcohol was okay also played into the adoption of Orthodox Christianity in Eastern Europe! :cool:

I have studied Greek extensively and I can tell you that the Greek of that time, though not that different are quite...mystical dare I say.
The fact that the chants are in a superbly melodic type doesn't help understanding much either. You can compare it to someone studying English etc without aligning his ears to the language, then he attempts to listen music, chances are he wont understand a thing on the first 2-3 tries. Its kinda comparable. Heck I have Greek friends who dont understand several words of the passages even if they read them.

I would urge anyone who has at least some passing interest in such matters to go and observe a liturgy (regardless of beliefs and what not). You will find it to be a great experience, unlike the semi sterile rites of ours in the west (or should I say x ours, referring to me)

I have a competency in Greek, but I have to a have lexicon by me at all times! :p Just don't tell people to observe the vernacular Catholic liturgy over the Orthodox liturgy or the Latin Mass liturgy of the CC if you just want someone to observe it! Ah, the constant love affair with the eastern liturgy I have...

Really enjoyed these recent updates. You've already outlasted the Byzantium of our timeline, and by the tenor of those recent updates it seems safe to say that at least a few decades of life remain :D

Thank you Seelmeister! Well, a few decades might be short or long; but I know exactly when the Byzantine Empire of this AAR is going to fall! ;)

Last edited:
Chapter XI

Origen, Universalism, and the Influence of the Patristic Fathers on the Council

Ever since the adoption of Christianity as the State religion of the Roman Empire, the idealizations of Rome and Christianity have largely been inescapable and inseparable. As mentioned, in the early decades following the rapid growth of Christianity and its formal adoption in the Edict of Thessaloniki, many Christians associated Christianity with the Roman Empire – nearly forgetting the three decades of imperial persecution that befell the followers of Jesus of Nazareth. Yet, the Church grew in position, power, and prestige as the centuries went on.

There was still a lingering belief among the common populace that the Roman Empire could not fall because of its divine ordination by God himself. Evidence for this continually smacks of confirmation bias – in that any seemingly improbable survival following the collapse of Roman power and wealth after the Crusade of 1204 was associated always with the mercy and benevolence of the Divine Father in Heaven. Yet, at the Council of Constantinople all of that changed.

In a shocking bid to the recognition of general eschatology, the Church leaders made it very clear that the success and survival of the Roman Empire was not equivalent to the success, survival, and eventual victory of the Church in salvation history. In a formal document, the Orthodox Church disassociated itself with the Roman State – not in repudiation, but in the acknowledgement that the Church existed before it became the state religion of the empire, and would continue to exist even if the empire would fall to its enemies; whether they are Catholic, Mohammedan, or other. Archbishop Michael penned the resolution as:

Let it be resolved, through this council at Constantinople, in the year of our Lord 1477, that the success and survival, and ultimate victory of the triumphant Church in human and salvation history is not dependent upon the success, survival, and ultimate victory of the Roman Empire. Although it may had been in God’s plan to use the Roman Empire to safeguard the religion of Christ against the bowls and jaws of Hades, the Church itself will exist and continue to exist until the return of our Lord.

The Council also deliberated upon its relationship with other brother and sister religions. The relationship between Christianity and other religions have always been contentious, as the claims of Christianity are unique in terms of salvation. The convention Christian triumphalist attitude, very crudely put, is that all non-Christians will be tormented in hell for eternity, while the righteous few receive eternal paradise in Heaven. It should be noted that, this is not the oldest Christian position, nor the directly formalized positions of the Catholic and Orthodox Churches. In fact, neither of the two ancient Christian churches has ever stated a single individual to be in hell – seeing that this is not the appropriate mission of the Church. The Catholic Church eventually came to the position that the Mohammedans have their place in salvation history, and that those who have not known Christ may still be saved. For some fundamentalist Protestants, this is evidence of the Catholic Church’s apostasy that they would implicitly endorse of form of universalism.

Universalism, the belief that all persons will be saved in the end of days, has its roots in the ancient Christian tradition. Not in the formal means that some say today – that all religions are roughly the same and all are on different points of the heavenly journey, that in time, all will reach the mountaintop, but in that the magnitude and scale of the victory won at Calvary is so great – God reconciled the world to himself. It is written that “God is the savior of all humanity, but especially those who believe” [1]. Origen of Alexandria, perhaps the most prolific of Christian theologians, wrote that all persons, including the Devil himself, will be restored to heavenly paradise because of the immense love of God [2]. Indeed, the notion of universal salvation was popular among the Eastern Patristic Fathers, although none came to the strong conclusion of Origen – that we know all will be saved, but rather, that we can reasonable hope that all will be saved.

Origen of Alexandria, the most prolific, and at times controversial, theologian and father of the Early Church. Some observers of the Council of Constantinople in 1477 suggest that the council moved to a stronger affirmation of the theology of Origen.

In this venue and tradition, it should come to one as little surprise who studies Eastern Christian soteriology that the Council adopted similar lines in relationship with other religions. The Council declared that while the Mohammedans were followers of a false religion – in terms that the full truth of Christianity is being rejected, the Mohammedans nonetheless were brothers and sisters of the inheritance of Abraham. Like with the Catechism of the Catholic Church, the Council accepted the open possibility that Mohammedans were to be saved in their own unique way. In addition, the council re-affirmed that the Armenians were brothers of the same faith, like the Nestorians further to the East in northern Mesopotamia. While the Church re-affirmed the heresy of the Catholic Church, it continued to declare Catholics to be Christian, just having strayed a bit from the path of the Orthodox communion.

These latter developments from the Council would become important in missionary efforts in conquered or re-conquered territories of the empire. The heavily Sunni Mohammedan regions of the former Sultanate of Candar were subject to a relative degree of freedom and toleration. Perhaps this was motivated to prevent further uprisings against the Roman State. In accordance with these new declarations, missionary efforts to convert the Mohammedans in Candar were halted, also seeing that there was no apparent progress or hope in converting the people to the Orthodox faith. Furthermore, after the Roman victory against the Kingdom of Naples, which I shall cover in the coming chapters, restored a foothold in the boot of Italy – the Catholic population in Southern Italy were left to continue to practice the Catholic faith; although over time, some of the people began to blend Catholicism and Orthodoxy into a unique blend of church.

By the conclusion of the Council, the Church was triumphant in its ecclesiastic matters. The non-possessor movement was, temporarily at least, defeated. The push to reform the ancient liturgy was also defeated. The Church re-affirmed the apostolic tradition of brotherly religion co-existence, and opened the door to a possible strong declaration in favor of universal salvation – however unlikely that would be.

However, John XI was somewhat displeased with the Church’s declaration concerning the triumph of the Church as not being dependent upon the triumph of the Roman state. Naturally, the Roman emperor, who himself was a pious and devout Christian, wanted the assurance of learned men and sages that the empire he controlled would continue to thrive and prosper because the mission of the Roman Empire was tied to the salvific mission of the Orthodox Church. It would be inaccurate to say that John lost his love and adoration of the Church as a result, or that the allies he had in the Church that were simultaneously striking back at the despotates were now lost. He did however sulk back in the knowledge that the men of divine theological musings declared that if the Roman Empire was to fall, that the Church would not fall with it. For the emperor, he saw this a major psychological blow to the continued policy and hope of the imperium and the general population.

The people of the Roman Empire were still a very superstitious crowd. There was an ancient prophecy that the Hagia Sophia would never fall into the hands of a non-Christian people [3]. Despite the pronouncement of Church officials that the empire and the Church, while joined in state statutes of law, were not dependent upon one another for further existence, was sharply rejected by those who still devoutly believed that the mission of the Church and the empire were tied together ever since the dream of Constantine at the Battle of the Milvian Bridge. While the Council of Constantinople was not a grand ecumenical council of the Early Christian era, nor akin to the future Counter Reformation councils of the Catholic Church in combating the spread of Protestantism in the 16th Century, the Council of Constantinople was the last great council convened and supervised in the jurisdictional territory of the Roman Empire – where the formation of orthodox Christology and theology had taken place a millennium earlier.

[1] First Timothy, Chapter 4, Verse 10.

[2] This is the doctrine of Apokatastasis. This teaching however, was never accepted by the Church as official teaching.

[3] This is true for OTL. In the historical Siege of 1453, after the city had been breached, many thousand people gathered in the Hagia Sophia believing this prophecy would save them from impending doom. Of course, the prophecy failed, and the Turks entered and killed and captured most of those taking refuge in the Church.

Last edited:
Hi, volksmarschall!

Just wanted to let you know that I've chosen your AAR for Weekly AAR Showcase.

Best of luck with your AAR.

Congtatz on the award Volksmarschall!

Hi, volksmarschall!

Just wanted to let you know that I've chosen your AAR for Weekly AAR Showcase.

Best of luck with your AAR.

Thank you Ilaruum for taking the time to start reading through this, and a definite thank you for thinking this is a worthy recipient for the Showcase! :)

Cheers!

So, some decisions to increase tolerance of infidels? :p

Why do I get the feeling you are mocking me? ;) :p

Congtatz on the award Volksmarschall!

Thanks Dr. Livingstone, but more importantly, you should pat yourself on the back for taking the time to read and comment, which makes writing the AAR and devoting the opportunity cost to undertaking an AAR worth it. :cool:

Next update will be tomorrow or Friday morning.

Thanks Dr. Livingstone, but more importantly, you should pat yourself on the back for taking the time to read and comment, which makes writing the AAR and devoting the opportunity cost to undertaking an AAR worth it. :cool:

Isn't that the job of all subscribers? After all, without us subscribers, you writers would lack confidence to write, and without you writers, we subscribers would have no place to vote! Symbiosis at its finest :)

Isn't that the job of all subscribers? After all, without us subscribers, you writers would lack confidence to write, and without you writers, we subscribers would have no place to vote! Symbiosis at its finest :)

Lack confidence? Maybe! :p Seeing that most of the papers and research that I write takes months, even years (longest was Spring 2012-Winter 2013), for me its not a vote of confidence as much as it is opportunity cost. I generally writes several chapters (say 6-7 updates) into an prospective AAR before I decide to post the first update. This way, I can post all the written work and not have qualms about what has gone on with it. Afterward, reception and comments do dictate how extensively I'll seek to continue it. Although, I know some AAR writers who seemingly are not concerned with that and will finish regardless of who comments. Good for them! :cool:

As you can gather, with my style of AAR writing with a lot of historical material always floating in the background, it takes up to an hour to an hour and a half to write an update. And I'm sorry, I'm not writing an update that takes that much time when maybe 2-3 people are commenting! :p I'm just not motivated to do that, even if those 2-3 really like it.

I recall, when I was on earlier in my years on these forums, what stnylan said when he left he posted a comment in the general thread section that has stuck with me forever - and which is why I try to follow and comment on as many AARs as possible for me. "To View is human, to comment, divine!" Commentators really are divine! And I'm sure for many younger people on the forums who undertake their first AAR or second (after a quick failed first), seeing a comment makes them smile! ;)

eh every now and then i just realize im but a parasite... even though my joke aars attempts ended without intereaction... i... only... lurk...

I do believe lurkers are probably the majority of readers. I have no idea how one gets such a high view count with a far lower comment count. Certainly the same 5-7 commentators aren't plugging away at all the views! :p Plus, you make yourself known every now and again. Even more, outside of guys like Enewald who seem to be able to comment on every update, how often can one comment? I know that at least half the AARs I follow I probably don't comment after every single update. Although I do gather the repetitive "Good update" comment is better than no comment at all! :p

Chapter XII

John IX Captures Athens, the Turks Advance in the Balkans

The quiet years of 1477-1482 saw a prospering economy and a relative moment of peace and serenity over the empire. In 1481, John IX marched out of Constantinople for Athens with his army. Forcing the Duke of Athens into submission without fight – Athens was once again under Roman control for the first time since the Crusade of 1204, when the Greek heartlands were divided up to the conquering Latin nobles of the fourth crusade [1]. As John marched into Athens, he was greeted as a hero and liberator of the Athenian people – long having suffered under the yoke of Catholic rule over a predominately Orthodox populace.

The acquisition of the Catholic Duchy of Athens into the Roman Empire once more was an important moment in the Greek Revival of the late fifteenth and early sixteenth centuries. Athens had long been a center of Hellenic and Christian schooling and education, but following the fall of the Greek homelands after the Crusade of 1204, there had been a long struggle with Servians,* Latins, and Mohammedans for the control and fate of the Hellenic homelands. As the Roman army and emperor marched into Athens, the triumph and ecstasy felt in Greece, but principally in Athens, was all too apparent. In the ancient tradition of the Roman triumphal procession, John IX entered as a conquering heroic king of old, entering the city whereby the people had come out to meet him in the tradition of Greek parousia. Despite the renderings of the Council of Constantinople in 1477, the emphasis and symbolism of Christian theology with the political-theology of the Roman state could not be escaped.

Emperor John IX enters the gates of Athens in this romantic painting depicting his triumphant entry into the most ancient city, the birthplace of Western civilization and primitive democracy.

The concept of Christ’s Second Coming is in the tradition of the Roman Triumph and Greek Parousia. Indeed, the Greek word used for second coming in the New Testament is parousia. It is in this tradition, that a king or lord who has departed for conquest finally returns to his city, that the subjects come out to greet him in his triumphant return to reign once more on the throne. The entry into the city itself was lavish, and worthy of Greco-Roman designs and customs. More importantly, the Academy was re-opened with Roman learning in mind (Greek Orthodox) contrary to the prevailing and asserting dogma and teaching of the Catholic Church.

The conquest of Athens was met with stark reception among the Mohammedan Sultan, and the kings and queens of Europe. The Kingdom of Naples, in particular, felt threatened by a resurgent Roman Empire separated only by a small strait from Albania to their boot of Italy. In addition, the failure of the Mohammedan Turks to bring about a swift and decisive end to their rivals was also a blow to Turkish prestige and power. Responding to the increase in Roman power in mainland Greece, the Turks turned their attention north to the Kingdom of Servia, which provided an easy target for rapid expansion.

When the Turks pushed into Servia, the Servians met them in the fields of the Metohija basin, the only area of flat lands between the mountains of the southern Balkans. The battle, which was fought by around 8,000 Servians and over 15,000 Mohammedans, ended in the total annihilation of the Servian army, most of their nobility, and ultimately doomed the Servians in their battle against the invading Turks. Within in a year, the Kingdom of Servia had fallen, and had been subjugated by the Turks.

In an ironic twist, the survival and resurgence of the Roman Empire in southeast Europe meant that Mohammedan expansion wasn’t halted, but promoted to go north and do battle against the Servians, Bosnians, and Hungarians due to the inability of the Turks to seize what remained of the Roman lands in Greece. Forced by the need to expand to keep their military and economic edge against the Romans and their rivals in the Middle East – the Mamluks, the Turks rampaged through the Southern Balkans to great avail. Neither the small Orthodox kingdoms of Servia or Bosnia were capable of dealing with the mighty Turkish war machine. Furthermore, the Kingdom of Hungary was largely isolated and had few friends to help them in their defense against the Mohammedan invasion.

The Battle of the Metohija Basin, where the Turkish armies crushed the Servian army. The Turkish victory left only Belgrade in control of the Servian nobility, and Servia was left subjugated under Mohammedan oversight.

With the subjugation of Servia, the road to central Europe was open. This naturally prompted problems and worry among the Habsburg archdukes in Vienna. There was a renewed effort of diplomacy among the Austrians and the Romans – as an alliance between the two powers would be mutually beneficial. Austria served as the great Western European power that the Palaiologoi emperors had long wanted. In the Roman Empire, the Austrians had a power closer to the proximity of the gravitas of Turkish power that would hopefully take the blunt of the Turkish thrust before reaching the borders of Austria. While both powers had different meanings to their alliances – the Austrians hoping that the Romans would be the sponge of Turkish aggression while the Romans hoped the Habsburg armies would come to their rescue and dispel the Mohammedans from Europe, the Turks were well-aware of these developments too, and strengthened their European garrisons despite a brutal war with the Mamluks unfolding.

The fall of Servia did more to propel better West-East relationships than diplomatic attempts by the Romans. Finally, it seemed that the sleeping giants of Western Europe had become aware that the Mohammedan threat was real, and not a paper tiger as many earlier believed; one of the principal reasons for the disastrous crusade that ended in the death of the Polish king at Varna in 1444 was the belief that the Turks would still be easily driven from mainland Europe. The enemy of my enemy is my friend is a truism of politics that cannot be averted or overlooked.

As the changing face of southern Europe brought new hope or concern to all principal powers of the region, one of the most shocking and hard to understand events came with the Neapolitan declaration of war against the Romans in the fall of 1481. Perhaps threatened by the conquest of Servia and the capture of Athens by the Romans, the Neapolitans may have felt it necessary to smite the Romans in a quick war to prove their hegemony in Eastern Greece and the Adriatic. Or, it was meant as a display of power to ward off a possible Turkish invasion, seeing that the Mohammedan powers in North Africa, long allies to the Turks, had most recently fought a devastating war with the proto-Spanish and their dependencies and allies, which included the Kingdom of Naples.

In either case, the armies of Naples and Rome were mobilized, however, it would not be until the spring of 1482 that major hostilities between the two powers would commence as the Romans and Neapolitans vied for naval supremacy which would allow for either army to invade the principal lands of their enemy. Emperor John IX personally led the Imperial Army in Athens, while the Imperial fleet embarked from Athenian harbors with word that the Neapolitan fleet had also set sail. The forthcoming battle of the Aegean Sea would effectively decide the war between Naples and Roman Empire on May 11, 1482.

[1] I use this storyline in lieu of diplomatic annexation, makes the story fit more appropriately with the context of the times and spirit of the AAR thus far.

*Archaic spelling of Serbians

Last edited:
This is an excellent opportunity for roman expansion into Italy, and later Roma! Seize it, and Byzantium will have a foothold in Italy, and a way to escape should certain groups *looks anxiously at Anatolia and the Turkish hordes*decide to encroach upon your territory.

Finally caught up again! Phew!

As always, I love the updates and your writing.

Good to see the Empire reclaim Athens, and that Habsburg alliance should be beneficial...hopefully. Although I could see them sitting by and watch the Ottos attempt to smash you. But if the Turks are fighting the Mamluks, the Empire's future should be looking quite bright. I had those two decide to claw each others eyes out at a later date in my Milan game, but was unfortunately not in a position to profit from the chaos :(

I do believe lurkers are probably the majority of readers. I have no idea how one gets such a high view count with a far lower comment count. Certainly the same 5-7 commentators aren't plugging away at all the views! :p Plus, you make yourself known every now and again. Even more, outside of guys like Enewald who seem to be able to comment on every update, how often can one comment? I know that at least half the AARs I follow I probably don't comment after every single update. Although I do gather the repetitive "Good update" comment is better than no comment at all! :p

Lurkers abound everywhere!!! :) I don't take lack of comments as disheartening though, there's updates I put up, usually in my Welf one where I'm like, ugh boring chapter...

But what I do enjoy is when I put up an update that captures one of the lurkers into finally commenting...especially if their comment comes close to the overall expression I was hoping to grab. So when that happens that makes me smile and that I did a good job.

Oh yeah and before I forget: Congrats on the Award!

Last edited:
Ah, Naples stabs you in the back. :p
The last bastion of Christendom against the hordes of Muhammed, once again bled dry by western Christians. :D

I know! :mad: Well, at least it gave me a catalyst for invading Italy, and for finally being able to write an update on the most favorite topic to actually write (and read about) from reader's perspective: WAR! Looking at the content of the updates, I haven't had a good update about war and conquest in a while.

This is an excellent opportunity for roman expansion into Italy, and later Roma! Seize it, and Byzantium will have a foothold in Italy, and a way to escape should certain groups *looks anxiously at Anatolia and the Turkish hordes*decide to encroach upon your territory.

I think you may have found my notebook full of my notes! :p

Finally caught up again! Phew!

As always, I love the updates and your writing.

Thank you! But at least the next update is going to cover war and conflict, I think you may have been otherwise stuck reading a lot of culture and religion.

Good to see the Empire reclaim Athens, and that Habsburg alliance should be beneficial...hopefully. Although I could see them sitting by and watch the Ottos attempt to smash you. But if the Turks are fighting the Mamluks, the Empire's future should be looking quite bright. I had those two decide to claw each others eyes out at a later date in my Milan game, but was unfortunately not in a position to profit from the chaos :(

This would be the same Milan game that you're making the AAR for isn't it? :p

tnick0225 said:
Lurkers abound everywhere!!! :) I don't take lack of comments as disheartening though, there's updates I put up, usually in my Welf one where I'm like, ugh boring chapter...

But what I do enjoy is when I put up an update that captures one of the lurkers into finally commenting...especially if their comment comes close to the overall expression I was hoping to grab. So when that happens that makes me smile and that I did a good job.

Oh yeah and before I forget: Congrats on the Award!

I know what you mean. One of the greatest moments for me was when someone posted on my Presidents AAR that they had registered on the forums because of reading the AAR. It made me smile since that's the same reason I joined the forums. After I purchased HoI2 Doomsday, I don't know how, but I ended up finding the forum and reading HoI2 AARs, then found my way to the other AARs of other Pdox games I had. I was so enamored with the whole AAR concept that I joined after probably 1 1/2 years of being an invisible lurker who wasn't even registered.

Thanks! Btw, I checked your inkwell for your earlier AARs and saw that you served in the 101 AB. Since this is memorial weekend, I would like to thank you for your service to this country! :)

No crisis should go to waste. You say the Neapolitans declare war, I say an excellent opportunity to reclaim Magna Graecia. You say the Ottomans are expanding in the Balkans, I say more Orthodox populations that will rise up when you play the attrition game against them.