• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Battle of Neufchatel en Bray (14 – 31 March)

With the end of Paulus’ offensive, a period of reconstruction began. The frontline was a disorganized mess, and infantry were needed for the Italian front. While troops started to be redeployed and shifted around, Franco-American attacks were launched to the south of Paris and at the southern end of the line. In Denmark, partisans – a long time thorn in our northern flank, and supported by British commandos – launched a major coordinated effort that overran most of Funen and Zealand. While the Allied attacks were beaten off with only minor losses on both sides, the Danish captured the occupation headquarter staff and destroyed an entire Luftwaffe division. Only static divisions, protecting vital ports and manning the costal guns needed to keep the Baltic Sea off limited to the navies of the United Nations, were left in the country. If the partisans could seize either, the opportunity for the United Nations to strike deep into the Reich would come about. The only nearby reserve was the 52.Infantrie-Division. It was ordered into Denmark with the objective of destroying the resistance. Over the course of February and March, it kept the Danes from advancing onto Jutland but was unable to deal a death blow required to secure the country and our northern flank.

Elements of the 52.Infantrie-Division, marching through a Danish town.​

In France, it took until 14 March for the reconstruction of the Western Front to take place. The men and machines of the panzer army were withdrawn into reserve alongside the Seventeenth Army (this reserve, consisting of just under half a million men was placed under the command of Army Group D). The Twelfth Army (minus two divisions protecting northern Germany and the 52nd division now in Denmark) along with the Mountain Corps (with numerous regiments sent back to Germany to be fully reorganized and trained in a mountain role, rather than being just the infantry they were with special titles) were dispatched to the Italian front to relieve the Third Panzer Army currently based there. This left just over half a million troops of Army Group B (First, Seventh, Eleventh, Fifteenth, and Sixteenth armies) manning the frontline, guarding the Channel Ports, and positioned on the West Wall. Forty-eight first-class infantry divisions were assigned to the frontline, with each division covering roughly six miles of the line.

It was at this point that the Americans decided to strike. American troops pushed out of their bridgeheads over the Seine, near Rouen, and struck towards the small town of Neufchatel en Bray – to the north of Paris. Their intention seemed clear. There had been recent murmurs of the Belgians willing to defect to the United Nation cause. If the Americans could break through to the Pas de Calais, they would have a clear path across the open northern French plains to the Belgian border. From there, a new ally and a route that would circumnavigate the West Wall and allow United Nations troops into the Netherlands and onto the North German Plain.

Under the cover of bombers and heavy artillery fire, American infantry and tanks moved forward. Our troops were only able to mount a short fight, but it bought enough time to move the First Panzer Army into position behind the besieged troops. Just as the first reserves moved into place, poised read to counterattack, the American troops smashed through the frontline and captured Neufchatel en Bray. From here, the Americans pushed forward only to be countered by panzer wedges and our own mobile troops who surged forward on the counterattack. The initial American troops were taken by surprise and routed, but a quick victory was neither achieved nor possible as American troops poured into the area. A vicious back and forth battle erupted. Regiment after regiment, of American troops, were crushed by the weight of the attack. Yet after several days, they were able to stabilize their line and erect suitable defensive positions, around Neufchatel en Bray, from which they could blunt our attacks. As the month wore on, their defensive posture and positions sapped the offensive power of the First Panzer Army. With the cohesion and morale of the army dropping, not to mention their ineffectiveness to punch through the American lines, the men were ordered to stand down on 31 March. The next day, despite the heavy casualties already inflicted, fresh American troops attacked to renew their offensive to punch through into the Pas de Calais.

The location of the fighting.
Inserts: the casualty report following the battle, and American tanks destroyed during the battle.

Quite simply nothing! After all the bloodshed in southern Ukraine (that doesn't sound too good considering recent news!) the Soviets stopped attacking. When China fell, so went the buffer zone between the Soviets and Japanese. So now, the Soviet AI has decided - it would seem - to focus its attention there and has started the process of overrunning northern China. The Japanese misfortunate is my gain. After a massive movement of troops, as seen during the fighting in southern Ukraine, I would usually use the time following that to reorganize my troops and get them into some sort of order and create a reserve. But, I don't dare move my troops in case of brining down upon me the wrath of the Soviet AI (so I have a jumbled up mess of infantry and panzer divisions sitting on the frontline and no reserve, but most importantly the Soviet AI leaving me alone so I can focus my attention on the Allied AI who wont.).

I am afraid that the Japanese won't be able to amuse the Russians for long. You'll need to take some steps to fortify your lines. Moreover, you need an idea as to how to win this mess that is the collective fronts arranged against you. However, with the Russians already beaten once, I wonder what you've up your sleeve. There must've been something to occupy your scientists etc.

I finally have yet fighters rolling off the production line, and sending further fighter wings to be upgraded. If the war carries on long enough, by 1948 I think I should have all jet planes in my air force.

I am still researching my rockets, aiming to get that long awaited Americarokcet!

My atomic research is coming along nicely, what will happen in that respect will have to await on in game developments.

Everything else, infantry and tank wise, is just about up-to-date. I have post-war infantry with modern equipment.

My long term plan, if I cannot hold the Eastern Front, for when the AI does decided to attack is to pull back to what would have been the Stalin Line (extended and reinforced by my Soviet AI friends when they were fighting me), so I don't need to fortify the line ... I am just waiting for the required moment to fall back to it. Possibly if the American AI breaks through to the Rhine era. Then I will the troops, which will force my hand.

Looking bad...
Do you have any subs left to harass the enemy supply lines?
The skies are lost?

Also with Soviet AI silent, maybe it indicates that you could possibly start a winnable offensive on that front?
Might mean you have more troops present then they do.

With modern jet fighters the Luftwaffe should be able to clear a path for your bombers in the west. I assume that the Red Air Force is not showing up much?

I have my subs back out at sea, I previously had to haul them in due to damage and losses. AI losses are steadily racking up once more.

My last save is on 1 April, iirc my first upgraded fighter units will not be ready until end May or early June. That leaves me with only three jet wings atm, and everything else is propeller based. I suppose it is possible to re-seize control of the air with what I have, but I don't have any decent targets in sight for my bombers other than - ineffectively - trying to interdict the attacking troops.

As for the east, I open to suggestions. The entire frontline is manned by two divisions in each province. The south, just in front of the Dnieper Bend has my two panzer armies (something like 18 divisions) on the frontline alongside the infantry. If I were to launch an offensive, I do not believe I would have the infantry to hold the ground captured. But a decent strike to destroy some Soviet units may not be a bad idea. Baltasar, you are correct, the Red Air Force appears to be elsewhere.

While the Soviet AI is confused and fighting Japan, do your best to encircle as many Soviets as possible. You don't need to advance, just create small local encirclements. After a few dozen small divisions become destroyed that way, the bear starts bleeding properly. The AI is wary of potential pockets, but it still lacks the means to recognize it is constantly being encircled by same manoeuvres in same areas.

Kessels, Kessels everywhere! :D

The only place to attempt to achieve this would be in the area my mobile troops are parked in. It will not be easy, but I will see if I can give it a try. ... and if it results in the entire front being destroyed and Berlin sacked by the Soviets, I can blame you! :laugh:

The only place to attempt to achieve this would be in the area my mobile troops are parked in. It will not be easy, but I will see if I can give it a try. ... and if it results in the entire front being destroyed and Berlin sacked by the Soviets, I can blame you! :laugh:

Just some minor local pockets, what could go wrong? :D

yeah, try to get the line to the Don river again, and destroy some Sov units in the process, piece of cake :p

Battles of Picardy (1 - 23 April) and Amiens (14-18 May)

On 1 April, the United Nations attempted to exploit their successful capture of Neufchatel en Bray. American troops attacked in the general direction of Abbeville and were joined the following day by British troops attacking southeast towards Beauvais. The frontline, held by the First Panzer Army and already weakened from the previous fighting, seemed ready to snap. In response to the UN attacks, the Second Panzer Army and the Seventeenth Army were ordered into the Pas de Calais to be in position to reinforce the frontline or counterattack as needed. To buy time for their arrival, the three airborne divisions were ordered to create a thin line around the area that was to be breached. In addition, the light bombers of the Luftwaffe were ordered to attack all Allied formations while 400 FW 190s and 240 HE 280 jet fighters (in their first combat mission, and a deadly surprise to the RAF and USAAF) were ordered to take control of the air.

The deployment of the three Fallschirmjäger divisions.
Inserts: Fallschirmjägers rest during their move to the frontline. A He 280 takes off, ready for combat.

After five days of travel, the Second Panzer Army arrived on the front and was ordered to launch an immediate counterattack on Beauvais. Within two days, the attack was called off after making no progress. The following day, the First Panzer Army withdrew from Abbeville after heavy losses. The bulge formed by this Allied advance rendered the forward most positions, in Dieppe, extremely vulnerable and as a result the garrison was ordered to pull back. Over the battlefields, the light bombers had been massacred: 240 machines (15 full squadrons) had been destroyed. The FW 190 squadrons had been ordered to cease their attacks as they were simply unable to match the UN fighters. However, the handful of fighter jets had largely secured the air and claimed close to 500 victories completely halting the UN air attacks on our troops and their daily fighter sweeps.

With Abbeville lost, the Second Panzer and Seventeenth armies were committed to the frontline to prevent a further advance. Anglo-American attacks were launched up and down the line further attempting to secure territory in Picardy, break into the Pas de Calais, and lamely attempt to encircle Paris. The attack that had threatened to rip apart the frontline had steadily weakened. For the next week, the attacks decreased in their ferocity until they were little more than skirmishes. These stopped on the 23 April, ending the battle.

Just over 20,000 soldiers had been killed during the fighting, and UN losses were estimated to be in the region of 27,000 men. Despite some territory having to be given up, the battle was a clear defensive victory. However, while the United Nation’s offensive had been defeated, it had required the commitment of all of the Western Front’s reserves. Depending on where the Allied troops next attacked, the fighting in Picardy could prove to be a decisive strategic victory for the UN cause.

The frontline, 23 April​

For the next two weeks, peace descended across the Western Front accept for the occasional mortar attacks and patrols. The ferocity of the previous attack had left our forces weakened, requiring the Second Panzer Army and Seventeenth Army to remain largely committed to the frontline. On 14 May, the next Allied blow was launched. Numerous British divisions surged forward in a concentrated attack on Amiens. Rather than being an effort to breakthrough the lines, the attack appeared to be an attempt to straighten the front.

The 215 and 216.Infantrie-Divisions faced the onslaught of the British attack and were completely outnumbered. The paratroopers, recently pulled off the line, were once again rushed to the front to help prevent a breakthrough. Despite this influx of close to 30,000 troops, it was did little to stem the tide of the British assault. Rather than waste additional men in the battle, six infantry divisions, of the Seventeenth Army, were ordered to form a second line behind Amiens. After four days of fighting, on the 18th, the infantry and paratroopers pulled back. Amiens had been lost along with 5,000 more men. The British had further enhanced the victory scored in April by eliminating a bulge in the frontline.

The attack further established the opinion that the United Nations would attempt to break into the Pas de Calais and then on into Belgium. In the days following the battle, the frontline was restructured. The paratroopers were pulled back along with both the First and Second Panzer armies. The Seventeenth Army withdrew six divisions, but the remaining six were now needed to man the extended frontline thus weakening the strategic reserve. All reserves were not positioned in the Pas de Calais, awaiting the next Allied blow and unable to rapidly respond to a threat that could develop elsewhere on the front.

The frontline, 18 May.
Insert: British troops clear a building during the fighting in Amiens.
Landser evacuate a wounded comrade.​

Last edited:
holly cow, this AAR is getting better and better

:rofl: thanks guys! If it wasn't for those darn rivers, I would think about attempting to cut off that entire bulge north of Paris. In fact ... I think ill give that a shot anyway :p

Just to note, I haven't ignored everyone's advise. The Eastern Front shall feature in the next update!

The von Kleist Offensive (6 – 26 April)

The Abwehr had been watching the international developments in China very closely. Japan had recently destroyed the Nationalist ability to resist and occupied much of the country. This resulted in the Soviet Union, who had already cleared Manchuria of Japanese forces, to launch a further offensive south. News reports had announced the vanguard of the Red Army had linked up with the communist Chinese, who in turn had linked up with the British. All of these events poised a troublesome problem for the future German war effort. The Japanese, despite their massive victory over China, now appeared to be on the verge of defeat. Once their armies in China have been defeated, there will be nothing to stop the Soviets from turning their full attention upon ourselves and reinforcing their frontline with an estimated two to three million men that are currently busy in the east.

Situation Report: China, 1948.
The Chinese Wang Jingwei regime, a Japanese puppet, can be seen being bypassed by Soviet forces.
Insert: International propaganda photo released showing Soviet troops in China.​

These facts sparked a massive debate amongst the General Staff. A minority argued to remain on the defensive, to retain the strength of the eastern armies and react to Soviet blows using the mobile reserve. The vast majority advocated a strike, to both secure better defensive positions along the Don River and to destroy as many Soviet divisions as possible. Orders were dispatched, following the latter group's victory, to Field Marshal von Kleist (commander of the Panzer Group, comprised of the 4th Panzer Army and the 6th SS Panzer Army) to undertake an offensive to destroy Soviet formations between the Don River bend and to then secure the river line thus retaking the position lost several months prior. The initial plan required the frontline Red Army units to be wiped out via an encirclement battle, thus opening up the opportunity to advance further.

Both the 4th Panzer Army and the 6th SS Panzer Army had, for over five months, been manning the frontline alongside the Eighteenth Army. The withdrawal of these mobile units, it had been feared, would spark a Soviet offensive that would crush the southern flank. Thus, when the orders to undertake a new offensive arrived, it was necessary to pull these units off the frontline and reassemble both armies. The withdrawal, unit by unit, methodically and slowly, aroused no Soviet response. Both armies were able to assemble to the southwest of Stalino. From here, a short march was made to the start line: the frontline facing Taganrog. On 6 April, the offensive opened.

The offensive plan​

Under the cover of artillery fire, three panzer and a motorized infantry division advanced in a wedge towards the Soviet defensive positions. Facing them, two Red Army rifle divisions manned a series of in-depth trench lines separated by large open sections of terrain. The leading tanks overran the forward outpost line leaving the infantry to mop-up. As the panzers moved forward, the local Red Army commander unleashed his mobile reserve in a vicious counterattack. A Soviet tank corps – two hundred tanks, a motorized infantry division, and several independent motorized brigades – struck into our advancing troops between the main Soviet positions. In support, IL-2 ground attack bombers swooped in low over the battlefield strafing, dropping bombs, and firing rockets. The Luftwaffe could offer no response. The squadrons deployed to the Eastern Front had been crippled following the last battles and had yet been able to rebuild. Over the coming days, a mobile battle raged on in front of the main Soviet defensive line resulting in the decisive defeat of the tank corps clearing the way forward. The panzergrenadiers pushed forward to clear out the Soviet trenches. Due to the heavy resistance given by the Red Army’s riflemen, the old operational method, of rotating troops in and out of the battle, was resurrected. On 14 April, the trench lines had been cleared and the break-in achieved.

Due to the rotation of troops, no unit was ready to immediately follow-up the victory. Twenty-four long hours passed before the first formation arrived that was able to carry on the offensive. The 12th SS Panzer Division, the first and the vanguard of the 6th SS Panzer Army, struck north. Due to the delay, the remnants of the Soviet tank corps had taken up position and attempted to resist the advance. During the day, the 12th SS was joined by the 2nd SS and together they crushed the troops poised against them. Before dark on the 16th, the II SS Panzer Corps (9th and 10th SS) pushed beyond the 2nd and 12th SS and attached Krasnyi Luch. As the two panzer divisions pushed forward, they passed the scarred battlefield that saw so much fighting months before. Unfilled craters, trenches, foxholes, alongside burnt out husks of tanks and vehicles still littered the area. The Soviet tank corps, battered by two battles already, attempted to make a further stand here. This time, reinforced with fresh rifle divisions. Over the coming days, additional tanks corps and rifle divisions were deployed into the battle and as a result so was more of the 6th SS Panzer Army. Yet another swirling mobile tank battle erupted, but by the 20th the Soviets had been forced back and the first objective of the offensive was tantalizingly in sight.

The frontline, 22 April.
Inserts: A StuG brigade and panzergrenadiers move forward in the corridor.
A Soviet T-34 on fire, having been destroyed during the offensive.​

Had the bulk of the panzer arm still been based on the Eastern Front, as it had in the past, a second pincer attack would now be unleashed. As it was, it was left up to the increasingly worn out and depleted divisions of the 6th SS Panzer Army (as the 4th Panzer Army was being held back to man the new frontline and to be poised to destroy the trapped Red Army units) to carry on the attack. On the 22nd, the lead tanks and halftracks struck into the rear of the Soviet frontline positions. Within hours, the Soviets counterattacked with an entire tank army. Hundreds of olive green machines, backed by tens of thousands of fresh infantry mounted in trucks and halftracks, rolled over the ravished farmland and into the massed German armor positioned in the corridor. In addition, the Soviets launched an attack upon the frontline threatening to breach the thinly held line and advance into open undefended terrain. For Field Marshal Blaskowitz, commanding Army Group South, this was a disastrous turn of events. For von Kleist, this was an opportunity to allow the Soviets to overextend themselves before cutting off their vanguard and destroying a sizeable force.

The narrow corridor, thus cut out and packed with troops, left insufficient room for the 6th SS Panzer Army to deploy its armor to counter the Red Army. Nor, considering the troops were pushing forward, had the men constructed even basic defensive positions. Unable to fend off the Soviets, Krasnyi Luch was abandoned the following day. As the men of the Waffen-SS pulled back, giving up on the attempt to encircle the majority of the frontline, the 4th Panzer Army launched an attack aimed at isolating Matveev Kurgan and thus destroying at least some Red Army formations. Over the following three days, the 4th Panzer Army fought a tough battle to attempt an encirclement. Intelligence reports suggested that the Red Army was abandoning Matveev Kurgan to avoid units becoming trapped. In light of this, reconnaissance missions were launched that identified only a single division left remaining in the area. A limited infantry attack was launched to attempt to tie down the Soviets, and allow the mobile troops time to isolate it. The Soviets did not comply and swiftly withdrew. By the end of the day, now with no Soviet forces to trap, the 4th Panzer Army’s attack was called off and all mobile forces were ordered to return to the start line in preparation for a move north to counter the Soviet attack on the frontline. After ten days of fighting, the Panzer Group arrived back at the site of the initial breach. Two days later, they had returned to their forming up position near Stalino. The offensive had achieved little more than a minor adjustment of the frontline. Such adjustment had cost the lives of 16,000 men and hundreds of tanks.

Last edited: