• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
How on earth are you going to manage to even attempt el Duce's delusions with that attitude? :p Although I do note you say you are going to "stay as historically plausible as possible" so I guess that answers that question. :D

Fall of the Regio Esercito (5 - 25 December)

Rather than the anticipated three day delay before the tanks and troops could start rolling again, five long days elapse. A number of minor Allied attacks on our lines were swatted away, but no major developments occur. This is because Allied attention is focused squarely on the roughly 700,000 Italian soldiers trapped on French soil. During these five days, the Allied armies have - one by one - extinguished the resistance that faced them from a number of isolated trapped Italian formations dotted between the main Italian force and the frontline now within their borders. In just five days, 160,000 Italians had been killed or captured, bringing the total losses to 200,000 since 16 November and possibly as high as half a million since the French betrayal in the spring. The main Italian force had been under considerable pressure, forced to give up ground in the east and north. A vast uncrossable gap now exists between the Regio Esercito and their homeland. A small gap remains between the Italians and our own men, but with the Italians in retreat and a multitude of Allied forces positioned between it is not known if the Italians can be relieved or not.

The strategic situation on 5 December.
Inserts: the attack launched by Second Panzer Army​

At midday, 5 December, the Second Panzer Army once again jolted forward. Freezing American, British, and French troops, clad in thick winter coats, man trenches and stand definitely in the way. As our troops surge forward, Australian, American, British, Canadian, and French soldiers throw themselves upon the salient that has taken so long to cut out. After two days, most of these counterattacks have been fought off allowing the Second Panzer Army to push forward. The exception is at Sancoins. Here, a Commonwealth force of Brits, Australians, and Canadians have undertaken a major effort and are wearing down the First Panzer Army's bridgehead across the Loire. Determined Allied action has once again immobilized the First Panzer Army and delayed the Second.

Late on the 8th, the staff of OKW and OB West convened to discuss the overall strategy on the Western Front and the impending strategic crisis. The Second Panzer Army are still battling to attempt to break through to the Italians, but their pocket appears to be a state of collapse. In Italy, our allies have managed to assemble a motely assortment of units to try and block the American advance but it is to no avail. The Americans are quickly advancing down the Po Valley towards Milan. On top of which, an additional 30,000 Italians have been lost within the last few days. They appear to be on the verge of collapse and defeat. The Third Panzer and the Seventeenth Army both remain uncommitted, due to a lack of room to deploy. Both could, with some logistical difficulty, be thrown into the battle in a last ditch attempt to break through to the Italians. However, doing so would leave nothing to counter any Allied moves and remove the much needed operational and strategic reserve until the opportunity arises to utilize them. As the staff make these various arguments, news reaches the conference of a massive Allied attack. With the Italians on the verge of defeat, the Americans have once again turned their attention upon us. At Vesoul, near the start line and manned by a handful of infantry divisions, an estimated 12 American divisions had struck. With this, the conference was put on hold. The Seventeenth Army was ordered to advance south, a short distance from its billets, and engage the American army that was attempting to break through.

Troops in a damp muddy foxhole, near Vesoul.​

While American infantry are trying hard to break through into the base of our salient, our offensive still moves forward: slowly but surely. On 10 December, Moulins finally falls. Once again, the effort is in vain as the Italians have long since withdrawn from this area and are again just out of reach. There is not much time to mull over this fact, as the Allies immediately hit back. Artillery, planes, tanks, and troops strike at our recently arrived troops. As this attack is fended off, First Panzer Army reports the loss of Sancoins. The bridgehead across the Loire, under attack for nine days by a strong Commonwealth force, is given up on the 14th. This blow is offset by the positive news received by Second Panzer Army. Near Roanes, the lead panzergrenadiers report the Anglo-Canadian troops facing them are in a complete rout and it should only be a matter of hours until a complete breakthrough is achieved. The panzergrenaders are ordered to stay on the heels of the fleeing troops and open the roads to the tanks behind them. The hours slowly tick by and the triumphant news does not materialize. Instead, Second Panzer Army headquarters and OB West are informed that American troops have arrived in the sector and have steadied the line halting all progress. From the center of the front, having recovered from the Allied attacks, the 5th Panzer and 97th Motorized Divisions (both of Second Panzer Army) launch a final last ditch effort to break through to the Italians. These two formations are the most western based units within the entire German army, and without any flank protection. Together they assault the Allied lines protecting Vichy.

The attack towards Vichy.​

As the depleted panzer and panzergrenadier regiments move forward, Italian formations join the battle and launch an assault on Vichy from the southeast. As the 14th pushes into the 15th, the Italians are forced to abandon their effort and fall back due to flanking Anglo-French pressure. Despite this, our men continue to push forward determined to open a corridor to the Italians. To the east, at Vesoul, American troops overrun the area after inflicting over 4,000 casualties upon our force. Snow had now started to drift down across the entire frontline blanketing the ground in a thick white layer slowing all movement to a snail pace. So while the Americans had taken Vesoul, they were not presenting an immediate danger of breaking through due to the harsh weather. Thankfully, as the Seventeenth Army was having a great deal of problems attempting to get the battlefield leaving only light forces to screen the new American position.

The next three days brought about the end of the offensive. However, events did start positively. Early on the 17th, the American and Canadian infantry manning the forward defenses of Vichy began to the retreat. As our troops started the slow move forward to take control of the French spa town and prepare to carry on the advance to link up with the desperate Italians, British troops emerged from the town in a vicious counterattack stopping our progress dead in its tracks. General Hoth, the commanding officer of the Second Panzer Army, ordered his two heroic divisions to stand down and pull back from Vichy. The allied control of the area was too strong, and unbeknownst to the men of the 5th and 97th divisions, the Italians were in a headlong retreat moving further and further away from them as very hour past. The main attack towards Roanne was allowed to continue as there was reserves available to be pushed through to make the linkup. Two days later, Roanne finally fell. The defense of the town had cost the Allied powers over 10,000 men, yet their deaths were not in vain from the Allied point of view. Their defense had bought the time needed for their comrades to push the Italians once more out of reach of relief. While the ramifications of this victory were being mulled over, that evening the Italians reported the loss of both Milan and Genoa to the Americans.

The front, 19 December.
British troops, during their counterattack around Vichy.​

It was clear what the next course of events would be. The Italians were going to seek peace. Doing so would open up the southern borders of the Reich to invasion. Case Lombardy was put into motion: the strategic reserve (the Third Panzer Army and an assortment of minor formations from within the Reich) was ordered to board trains and depart for Italy with the orders that Allied troops were not to cross the border into Germany. The offensive towards the pocket was called off, no further attempts were to be made to breakthrough. The next day, sensing the troop deployment as Third Panzer Army began to depart from the base of salient, the Americans launched another major attack on our lines. While our troops did their best to fend off this attack from their frozen and snow covered foxholes, American troops continued to roll across the much more mild and non-frozen Po Valley. On Christmas Day, the Italians unconditionally surrendered. The Third Panzer Army arrived shortly after the announcement and just in time to block the American advance into the eastern Alps and towards our borders. A third front had just opened.

Third Panzer Army arrives just in time, and prior to the Italian disarma​

And now, Switzerland joins Allies :D

this AAR gets better and better, I really doubt the Reich will win now, but the path to that defeat will be surely wagnerian

Oh dear. A few days faster reaction in the West might just have saved Italians in time. :(

This AAR just got so much more thrilling!
MOAAAAR! :cool:

It sure seems that way. While waiting on my troops to transfer from the east to west, I had forgot to move some of my western forces into position. So I had a slight delay while I did that. If I had moved those troops, I would have been ready to go a few days earlier. Alas, it was not to be, but still a very interesting and enjoyable experience.

And now, Switzerland joins Allies :D

haha I really hope not! I have just enough troops to hold the current frontline, I don't have the manpower to spare to stop a bunch of brightly colored Swiss with plumes marching into the Reich ... although a single machine gun could do it?

this AAR gets better and better, I really doubt the Reich will win now, but the path to that defeat will be surely wagnerian

Oh I am sure it will be :D

The end of the Italian Empire!

It sure is, the next update will show the aftermath of collapse.

It sure seems that way. While waiting on my troops to transfer from the east to west, I had forgot to move some of my western forces into position. So I had a slight delay while I did that. If I had moved those troops, I would have been ready to go a few days earlier. Alas, it was not to be, but still a very interesting and enjoyable experience.

I'm pretty sure you did that on purpose :glare:

It sure is, the next update will show the aftermath of collapse.

"With Italians taken out, it seemed the Allied army started to crumble."

:D

Err... *cough*

How about the state of the Reich at large? It's been a half year worth of research and stuff, surely something must have happened away from the fronts.

I'm pretty sure you did that on purpose :glare:

Shush! Your going to give the game away! :rolleyes:

"With Italians taken out, it seemed the Allied army started to crumble."

:D

We shall soon see! :D

Err... *cough*

How about the state of the Reich at large? It's been a half year worth of research and stuff, surely something must have happened away from the fronts.

Haha, yes I took that screenshot before just before the surrender, to the contrary of what the update text say hehe

A lot of development for a massive counterattack. But it is not ready yet, very top secret :p Although I should be getting some jet fighters soon, that's about it haha

Italian Armistice

On Christmas Day, after several days of negotiations and an American advance across the Po Valley, the Italians surrendered to the Western Allies (with the terms publically announced), now dubbing themselves the United Nations. Since 16 November, the Italians had lost 270,000 men killed or captured as the United Nation forces slowly destroyed their main pocket of resistance and advanced into Italy mopping up trapped units and swatting aside all resistance. As part of the final surrender, 875,000 more men (most trapped inside France) were disarmed and taken prisoner. The Italians, having ousted the National Fascist Party and embracing democracy, were allowed to retain a small token force for internal security and border protection as they joined the ranks of the United Nations and entered the war against Germany. Their air force was scrapped, but the navy was allowed to retain the remnants of the battered and once proud Regia Marina as it was no longer deemed a threat.

Italian Blackshirts, in Trieste, attempting to look professional.​

Due to his personal support and tainted image, Victor Emmanuel III abdicated in favor of his son Umberto II. Umberto was now the head of Constitutional Monarchy with a cabinet comprised of social liberals and social conservatives. The new regime failed to apprehend Duce Benito Mussolini during the fall of his government, nor was he captured as American troops swarmed across the northern sectors f the country. Instead, he and a small entourage of supporters had fled by plane landing at a Luftwaffe base in southern Austria. With German troops advancing into northeast Italy, Mussolini asserted his authority over the territory that had not fallen to the troops of the United Nations: the eastern Alps (with the capital based in Merano) and the Venetian Plain stretching to Trieste. In the days following his flight, Mussolini made several broadcasts denouncing the new government based in Rome and declared himself the rightful leader of the whole country. While he rallied his supporters, including several thousand devoted Blackshirts, Mussolini lacked any military support rendering his words hollow; after all, the Third Panzer Army had been dispatched to Italy so that it could act as the forward bastion in the defense of the Reich, not to prop up the Italian remnants.

The Italian ex-colonial possessions.​

Following in the wake of the, now disbanded, League of Nation’s intentions for Africa, Italian Somaliland was transferred as a mandate to British oversight until such a time existed when the indigenous population was capable of governing themselves. The northern Italian colony was formed into the independent state of Libya, also under British oversight. Finally, after several years of an Allied-occupation of the country weeding out Italian supporters, Emperor Haile Selassie was reinstated onto the throne of his beloved Ethiopia. In the Balkan’s, Italy had fought an anti-partisan campaign to rival the ones that had been fought on the Eastern Front. Two hundred and fifty thousand had been killed, destroying the pre-war links to any single national entity. As Italian troops withdrew to defend Milan and Genoa and with no Allied troops to replace them, uprisings broke out. Just as occurred following the fall of the Austria-Hungary Empire, the various ethnic groups assumed control of the areas they dominated. Most areas fell to fascist-like groups. However, the pro-Allied Yugoslav Government in exile was flown into Belgrade. There, Petar II and his prime minister Milan Strojadinovic began their rule over a much diminished Serbian state with the intention of attempting to bring some stability to the fractured region, and perhaps somewhere in the future rebuild the union of Serbs, Croats and Slovenes. In Athens, Georgios II returned to power. When the Italians announced their intention to sign an armistice, the Royal Navy shipped in the exiled Government and 54,000 soldiers, all of whom had managed to be evacuated with Allied forces when the country fell. Thirty-three thousand Yugoslavian troops, the remnants of those who had fought the Axis powers in 1941 and thereafter alongside the Greeks before being evacuated, were also transported to Greece. Together, they linked up with 45,000 Italian troops. These men, the former garrison, had been stranded in Greece when the Balkan’s ripped itself apart. They had been unable to return home to help defend from the American invasion and had gone unnoticed during the disarmament of the Italian military due to the lack of American troops in their area. Now, on orders of their new leaders in Rome, these troops provided unlikely allies to the reformed Greek military. Within hours of landing, Georgios II announced his intention to reenter the war alongside his Allies and declared war on Bulgaria to liberate the territory they had seized so many years ago.

Italy and the Balkans, following the armistice.​

While the armistice with Italy had forced a major opponent of the United Nation’s out of the war and provided a bright future for the former colonial subjects in Africa, it had fragmented the Balkan’s and more than likely destined it for years or decades of further fighting.

Well thankfully, at the moment the only Balkan nations fighting one another is just Greece and Bulgaria. So in regards to that, I don't have much to worry about: let them beat each other senseless. Southern Germany is my main concern now: I don't really have the troops to man it. Thus a new recruitment drive is underway and concrete is being laid down for a southern wall. But then, if the problems continue to mount, the frontline could get contracted real quick as the Eastern Front is abandoned.

I do not suppose that Bulgaria has sufficient forces around Greece? Seems like the situation is going downhill and accelerating.

I do not suppose that Bulgaria has sufficient forces around Greece? Seems like the situation is going downhill and accelerating.

Myself, I think Bulgaria will stomp Greece to ground, at least if their army is home.