• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Ah, yes that was me. I was playing around trying to figure out how to write an event to simulate an uprising as my forces closed in towards Paris. I wasn't able to, so I just manually fired off an event to insert a bunch of French militia units. With that said, all the previous uprising were purely the AI.

Ah, yes that was me. I was playing around trying to figure out how to write an event to simulate an uprising as my forces closed in towards Paris. I wasn't able to, so I just manually fired off an event to insert a bunch of French militia units. With that said, all the previous uprising were purely the AI.

Well, it's a pleasure for me to see you're digging your own grave :D

Withdrawal (14 May – 20 June)

As the clashes between French and German patrols around Bordeaux intensified, the Kriegsmarine ordered its U-Boats and ground support staff to la Rochelle before Bordeaux became cut off. With the front under heavy attack, no troops could be assembled to counter the French moves towards the U-Boat base. Therefore, the 83,000 men assembled in the city (placed under the command of 83 Corps) were ordered to hold until relieved. On the 16th, the city was surrounded by French troops.

In Brittany, better quality British troops – than previously seen – were conducting an offensive along the coast. Each push forwards, edged the British closer and closer towards St. Nazaire. With this port under threat, Bordeaux cut off, and Anglo-French moves destabilizing our position in northern France, the Kriegsmarine pondered the major decision of recalling the entire U-Boat fleet back to Germany.

The French attack towards Italy, is met with massive retaliation.​

In the south, the French advance into the Italian occupation zone and towards the border, was met by massive retaliation. The entire Italian military moved to counter the French advance, and was soon joined by Bulgarian and Hungarian troops. The vanguard of the French army was thrown back in disarray, and the French were forced to attempt to stem the tide of three massive armies. However, French attempts to advance east towards the German border were meeting greater success. A handful of Luftwaffe and Volksgrenadier divisions were all that was opposing the FFI and regular French Army. Fighting delaying actions, our troops managed to hold up the French long enough for regular German units – from Germany, who had been guarding the northern ports from any possible renewed British landings – to arrive to stem the French tide. The Luftwaffe and Volksgrenadier divisions, however, did not prove themselves in battle as their political masters had hoped. They were completely ineffective, and 11,000 Luftwaffe troops were captured by the French when their positions overrun.

On 17 May, the British finally broke through our lines north of Paris. At the same time, the FFI were dug in around the southern and western suburbs of the capital and roaming the countryside further to both the east and west. The possibility now existed, that between the British and French advances, that our entire force in northwest France could become encircled. Where the frontline could be weakened, troops were ordered south to halt the French advance. Furthermore, several mobile divisions, and any other uncommitted unit, were ordered to assemble to the west of Paris. Once assembled, this force would be used to ensure that an encirclement would not happen. With these developments, all submarines now based in la Rochelle were ordered back to Germany as were all those currently deployed.

The frontline, 18 May. The first German units, pulled off the frontline, arrive in positions
to stop the FFI pushing further north and start to assemble to break out.​

Over the next three days, the British conducted an effort to take Vernon woods. By the skin of their teeth, our troops managed to hold their position. Our troops were exhausted, their ammunition was running low, and they were ready to pull out. Had the British been able to sustain their attack, they would have surely taken the woods and cut off all German forces west of Paris. The next day, the 21st, the British hit our lines hard. During the morning, a major effort was launched in Brittany and by early afternoon two massive attacks had been launched in Normandy.

On the 22nd, after five days of transit, 8 panzer, three motorized infantry, and two panzergrenadier divisions had been assembled west of Paris. At 08:00, Operation Lüttich was launched. The well trained and armed troops smashed through the lightly equipped French rebels, and within two days had carved out a path towards Paris and thrown the French southwards. With a safe corridor through to Paris open, the various administration units, Luftwaffe ground support staff and soldiers, garrison forces, and Volksgrenadier divisions were ordered to move out of the pocket. The evacuation of the pocket, a coup for the British, was overshadowed in international news by the Soviet Union. During the evening, the Soviets announced the conquest of Manchuria and that they were advancing on the final Japanese positions in northern China.

On the 28th, the British launched yet another offensive. Driving south, from Caen, to take the city of Falaise, Operation Tractable mauled the 23rd Panzer Division, which was the only unit standing in the way of the onslaught. This British success demanded troops to be redeployed to keep, the already fragile, frontline from cracking in the center. In Brittany, the British continued their push towards St. Nazaire. Much effort, on the part of our men, was made to save the city’s garrison. Three static divisions were plunked from the fiasco, and their exhausted men were put aboard trains heading out of the pocket. With the British collapsing our western defenses, and the northern ones barely holding on, the order was given for all infantry divisions to withdraw from the pocket while the mobile forces covered their retreat.

7 June: The evacuation underway. The mobile divisions cover the retreat of their foot bound comrades.
The success of Operation Lüttich, can be seen south of Paris.​

While the evacuation got underway, in stages and harassed all the way by British forces, an Anglo-American force relieved the French around the besieged port of Bordeaux. On 13 June, the Anglo-American force attacked the surrounded men of 18 Corps. With little supplies and no hope of relief, the corps commander raised the white flag once the first line of defense was breached: saving his men from further hardship, and having done his duty to offer resistance to defend the port.

An American propaganda photo, published in international newspapers,
shows American infantry allegedly blowing up obstacles in Bordeaux's outer defenses.​

In the north, the evacuation was completed on the 20th. All forces had withdrawn before the pocket could be sealed. As the men and material moved to marshalling areas to be directed to their new positions on the frontline (north and south of Paris, as well as the city itself), international news once again overshadowed events. On the evening of the 20th, the Soviet Union announced the destruction of the 750,000 strong Japanese army in China. The war in northern China, against the Japanese, was over.

Last edited:
Luckily the Italians can at least defeat French militia, when in overwhelming quantity. Most likely they are so qualitatively deficient that they would take horrendous losses against regular allied troops.

The war in the East is over? kiddo, the tide has turned...

That might be a little premature.

Surt: Spot on! :laugh:

83,000 troops were lost in Bordeaux, although that was from static and militia divisions and nothing of decent quality. So while a big loss, its not an appealing loss. Ill provide a quick update providing a complete rundown on losses during Overlord.

Operation Overlord casualty report

To: the Reich Ministry and OKH
Date: 21 June 1947
Re: Casualty information during the French campaign, 1946-1947

The following report was compiled during the evacuation, and statistics are accurate as of this morning’s roll call and information received by OB West regarding enemy and allied losses.

On 16 June 1946, the British conducted a landing in the Pas de Calais. Over the following months, further landings were made along the northern European coast by American, British, and Canadian forces until a lodgment was secured in Normandy during September. This Allied effort (to secure a beachhead, turn our French allies against us, and open up the Western Front) was found to be called 'Operation Overlord', and with our withdrawal beyond Paris it can only been deemed a success, if a costly one.

The following is believed to be an accurate account of the losses of the Western Allies during this operation up to present:

462,893 British casualties
32,979 Canadian casualties
30,176 American casualties
1,648 New Zealand casualties

In addition, during the same period, the following were tallied and dispatched to prisoner of war camps by units of OB West and Army Group D:

193,052 Canadian soldiers
127,873 British soldiers
91,097 American soldiers

Overall Western Allies losses therefore total 939,718 (527,696 killed and 412,022 taken prisoner).
Throughout this period, our western armies have lost 229,402 men killed in combat. A further 101,874 men have been reported missing, presumed captured (The Cherbourg garrison was overrun and went silent during the initial stages of the British invasion of Normandy, 83,803 men of 83 Corps were captured following the surrender of Bordeaux, and both the 9th and 10th Luftwaffe Field Divisions were overrun by the French FFI).

Accurate information provided by our own forces and estimates provided by the Italians, place French losses – since their betrayal – in the region of 11,800. Thus far, the Italians have reported the loss of 4,000 men, the Bulgarians: 5,000, and the Hungarians: 6,000.

Our aircraft losses, since September have reached 1,300. Since the beginning of the Battle of Britain, our aircraft losses have approached 3,000. These heavy losses, until recently, were not able to be replaced, which gifted the British control of the air throughout the previous few months. Reinforcements, from the Reich, have placed most of our squadrons at full strength, but the withdrawal to new airfields and the need for the ground staff to catch up has rendered most – for the time being – unable to engage in large scale operations. Since September, the RAF has loses approximately 350 bombers and 750 fighters. Despite these losses, and those incurred during the Battle of Britain, the RAF has continued to make its presence known over the battlefields. Due to the few Luftwaffe flights that have been sent to up, contest RAF control of the air, being rapidly intercepted, it is believed that the British captured our radar stations, in Cherbourg, intact and our now using them against us. Finally, the French have lost 120 bombers since they switched sides.

a very hard bleeding indeed

how's the bomb?

Ready to go! Although, if I do wipe London off the map and - from what I have read - blanks their stockpile, I think I will go in and give them at least half of everything back.

a very hard bleeding indeed

Indeed it was. I was pretty surprised at the number of AI troops lost in this one. Although, the British AI still have a worrying number of divisions in France. So unlike the earlier bloodbaths in 1940, I don't know if I have destroyed the vast majority of their armed forces this time around.

Last edited:
but most of that British troops must be Expeditonary Forces, England alone can not achive such a number of boots in the field

Depends on how much MP India gave the UK. If India transferred a lot of MP, then a bunch of those units could be British.

When I have been fighting the battles, I have been paying attention to the names of the divisions I have been fighting. Thus far, the British ones all appear on the WW2 British Order of Battle with the exception of the American forces on loan to them. As far as I am aware, the British death toll thus far is in fact just that.

In real life, the British army - iirc - had around three million men go through its ranks during the course of the war, and several tens of thousands more in the RAF and RN. So while it may be odd for the game, its not completely out there (other than the huge roll of honor the British AI is developing).

Half a million British casualties is quite a bunch. Even with your historical numbers, that'd be 1/6 of all those who served historically. And that's only Overlord we're talking about here. How many men have they lost before that?

Including the Canadians, somewhere in the region of 2 million :blush:

In real life, the three arms of the British military ended the war with 4,653,000 men under arms, of this 2,920,000 were within the army. Of course, since about 1943 the British army was slowly shrinking, the RAF peaked in strength in 1944,* and men entered and left the military so those who had time with the colours is even higher. I remember doing some estimates once, and I was left with the conclusion that there was very few people of military age not in the army, the UK had made a total effort with this force.

*All sourced largely from F.W.Perry, The Commonwealth armies: manpower and organization in two world wars, p. 75.
If anyone needs additional real life information, this book contains info on most of the armies, although iirc some areas are bit more vague than others such as the size of the South African military.

Last edited:
3 millions during the war? that's nothing compared to the 18 millions who served in the Wehrmacht between '35 and '45, considering the size of the Heer in the 35-39 period

3 millions during the war? that's nothing compared to the 18 millions who served in the Wehrmacht between '35 and '45, considering the size of the Heer in the 35-39 period

Well the Empire as a whole, was able to raise significantly more. But logistic and political issues resulted in only a percentage being deployed. But then, the war as a team game: the Red Army and the Americans more than made up for the small British military.

My my quite a drubbing the Allies took, is it time for Atomic Sealion?

Possibly not just yet. I am having a few issues, but once I have them amended all shall become clear were Germany now stands.