• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
Tell 'em harder next time.

I told 'em pretty hard to start with, but no cigar. I think sms's is secretly in love with the perfect side dish, and that's why he didn't acquiesce to my request.

Bastards! Wait was reis not part of that pack? Hashtag I Wasn't Really Paying Attention.

Oh, I never bothered to check. Was he? I guess that explains it...

I still blame others instead of myself, though. It's plain for all to see.

I knew ese and he said tonga was my contact in case he died. I was getting ready to sell out tonga in order to form an IJL, but the other pack got to him first. :(

Oh, I never bothered to check. Was he? I guess that explains it...

I still blame others instead of myself, though. It's plain for all to see.

I knew ese and he said tonga was my contact in case he died. I was getting ready to sell out tonga in order to form an IJL, but the other pack got to him first. :(

Actually after I told him to make me the backup contact I immediately realized you'd probably just sell me out and when I got hunted figured you did....

Actually after I told him to make me the backup contact I immediately realized you'd probably just sell me out and when I got hunted figured you did....

That's good, you're starting to see the larger scheme of things.

I told 'em pretty hard to start with, but no cigar. I think sms's is secretly in love with the perfect side dish, and that's why he didn't acquiesce to my request.

Sometimes you're tellin' 'em pretty hard, but ya gotta tell 'em...twice as hard.

Congrats to my pack.

Ciry asked me to switch after we lost euro, tonga, and... Ithvan, I think. I refused to leave.

I was despondent because for some bloody cock-up reason I was thinking that there had to be a 7-man JL manipulating the votes by that time, and that leader-lynches were the only way to get rid of them and hunting relatively inactive veterans = targeting potential scanners. Even as a baddie, I only shift to trying to kill the other pack when I know the village is powerless to resist and does not have the resources to wipe out the pack...

I'd like to extend many fu's to my pack and in particular my wolf so called master.

Man, if only johho had given you my name... I'd have given you and trespoe very free rein to turn this game to a bloody mess. Win or lose, I'd probably be face palming then laughing my ass off at any and all shenanigans engaged in by you.

On a tangential note:

WTF was Lights doing not contacting Cliges and Falc?!

Man, if only johho had given you my name... I'd have given you and trespoe very free rein to turn this game to a bloody mess. Win or lose, I'd probably be face palming then laughing my ass off at any and all shenanigans engaged in by you.

While I may be good at executing commands and obtaining reactions from people, when it comes to overall strategy, trespoe's capable leadership would have seen us through.

While I may be good at executing commands and obtaining reactions from people, when it comes to overall strategy, trespoe's capable leadership would have seen us through.

This is true, despite getting lynched near the end, trespoe provided quite a fair bit of information and insight that helped with planning out the hunts in the middle stages of the game.

GM AAR Part 1 - Setting up the Game

What I wanted to try this game was the Jester trait. The dwarf setting but also the Jester and the King was inspired by this post:

If you manage to include incestious dwarf emperors I might consider joining in...

Hm, I could have sworn there was something about a Jester in there. Ah, yes here is where I connected Jester to Dwarf. But Why?

Anyway, I always thought Distiller (role blocking) is so much less fun than the Lover but the Lover trait has game balancing issues so I wanted to do the Jester as someone that could cause hillarous result while at the same time not break the game. That is why the Jester mostly distorts what someone wants to do, never really stopping them and in some cases might even give the jestered(?) player more than he bargained for.

I discussed the Jester with randakar and one problem he saw was that there wasn't really much in it for the Jester himself. Why shouldn't the Jester just sit on his hands all game and do nothing. It's a valid concern but I think a Jester that gets included either in the Justice League or in a wolf pack should have strategic possibilities; what if the JL lost the seer? Lets have the Jester target the priest/a priestly powered guy and maybe we get a seer scan? what if an infiltrator found a trait we like? Lets have our Baddie Jester target our own wolfpack when we hunt to steal that trait! To see if any strategic use could be had with the Jester is why I made him Cursed.

The Robber trait came up in my discussions with randakar about what a Jester effect would be on a Hunter or a Wolf attack. I felt I needed something not too watered down to replace a killing and stealing all traits and demoting the target should give the attacker something while at the same time the robbed player shouldn't feel too bad since the alternative was death. I am very much against using neutral roles or having players that can change from bad to good which is why baddie roles got demoted to cultists, not villagers.

The fact that a robbed player's role would be instantly confirmed with a Priest or Sorcerer scan was intended. I wanted the robbed player to be the focus of attention and get in an interesting position even if he had no tools himself any longer. I didn't intend to actually have a Robber in the game, at least not if the game had less than 30 players, the trait was only there so the Jester should be able to trigger it. I only put it in when RepBentley showed up after signup was closed and I realized I had a game with close to 40 players so I figured, what harm could one Robber do? Yeah...

The Damsel in Distress was inspired by me having to google Taylor Swift to see what kind of dwarf she was (um, wasn't) and one of the first pictures that popped up was this

ziz3.jpg

where she was looking very vulnerable and in need of rescuing. Later the same evening I was watching Once Upon A Time and saw Prince Charming saving his Snow White and the Knight in Shining Armor was added. Both fitted in the kind of fantasy role playing setting we had. All I had to do now was invent some game effects to go with the name. Since TIE making is all the rage nowadays (the GM does not approve) I thought saving the Damsel from death could be what triggers the Knight and doing it a bit more general added a bit of a hazard for the Guardian Angel too which I felt was nice. At first I only had the Knight getting a random trait. The idea that the Knight killed a Robber that attacked himself or his Damsel came later (actually after the game started but I hoped noone noticed a little late rule fiddling) and added a bit of uncertainty for the Robber.

I wasn't quite sure how people would handle the Damsel/Knight so I only gave it to one player (random role assignment gave it to jonti-h). Then the GM couldn't help himself and manually assigned a starting Knight to Lemeard just for the lulz, sorry about that, and when Lemeard got his random extra trait Damsel the GM, if noone else, had a laugh.

johho888 to Lemeard said:
You are a villager with the trait "Knight in Shining Armor". Your "Damsel in distress" is jonti-h.

Your random extra trait is...

*rolls dice *

is... um... "Damsel in Distress"

kinky.. :eek:o

The rest of the setup was a pretty standard two pack setup with 1/3 of the players bad and with three cursed and one blessed (I guess I could have gone 4:2 cursed:blessed but too many no-kill nights slow down the game.

I also made sure no SA traits ended on roles I didn't want to become Cursed/Blessed because a Jester visit.

I modified the Padre so he couldn't stay with the same player night after night because of how it was used in my last game. In the future I think I might even nerf it to stop working after finding the first wolf - for me it is there to replace the witness but if it can be used again and again it becomes a little too much like an additional doctor.

I also removed the Lover and the Ghost Whisperer traits because they haven't really worked that well and the Rule section is long enough with all the new stuff.

The wolfpack names Ruby and Golden were selected to fit the dwarf mine theme and be easy to colour code in the updates and on page 1. I never thought they would have any impact on the game...

All in all I think Jester and Robber worked out fine and even the Damsel/Knight, though pretty useless, actually impacted the game play. I will probably keep them all if I host again.

Last edited:
I modified the Padre so he couldn't stay with the same player night after night because of how it was used in my last game. In the future I think I might even nerf it to stop working after finding the first wolf - for me it is there to replace the witness but if it can be used again and again it becomes a little too much like an additional doctor.

In the end the padre ended up accomplishing nothing at all, though.

We did end up in touch, though through Paendrag... Bit of a risk there...
So by the last day was I the only person not in contact with anyone else?

In the end the padre ended up accomplishing nothing at all, though.
I know but a JL forming early with GA, doc and padre all alive would be a bit much I think. You were often at the "right" place, it was only the wolves that pick "weird" hunt targets. Maybe they were afraid of the protectors?

Funny thing is Taylor actually says in one of her songs:

You were the prince
I used to be a damsel in distress

Anyway, now I really wish I had survived longer because as you say the jester trait could have had very interesting uses later on! I was the only one to have it, too!(At least I think so)

Panzer, is Taylor Swift the girl in your chemistry class with whom you are so enamored?