• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I have never seen such a large Danish navy. That said, even when it has inherited all of its PUs, I seldom see a Denmakr so large. Usually, Muscovy is enough of a deterrent.

And good to see expansion continues in the Far East. Portugal shall rule the waves again! ;)

Bah, it is annoying when my update lands as the last posts in the page. Here's the linky for your convinience:
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum...er-the-Sun&p=16310264&viewfull=1#post16310264

DensleyBlair - The beauty of EU- each game plays a bit differently. Here, Muscovy and Denmark both were happily engaged with the poor Novgorod- only Denmark got the main prize. And with control of Lübeck, they have lot of money to spend.
And yes, i shall rule the waves again! :)

The Danes are an unpleasant reminder of big powerful navy Denmark will have if it takes over all of Scandinavia. You did achieve your goals of expanding control over more of India and the Spice islands. Hainan is a good jumping off point for your assault on - diplomatic contact with - China.

Perhaps it is time to build more big ships after visiting the banks of Mali, Aztecs and Swahili. Explore some more and find Japan. Another trading partner.

The War With Spain Portugal Did Not Want, Part I - Defeating the Spanish Army

Portuguese Ideas

It was in June 1576, when João IV completed all the Portuguese ideas. The nation was now just what it needed to become- a powerhouse in the trade, a powerhouse in the colonization and overall, very non-Europe focused nation. At the same time, Portugal completed the trade ideas, meaning yet another merchants, sent to Malacca this time.

portugal227.jpg

Portuguese Ideas finally complete!

France Goes to War

Also in June 1576, if was France who picked a fight with Spain. Most likely they were fed up with the fact that quite a bit of the southern France was occupied by Spain for about a hundred years or so. It was obvious that France was not really happy about it, so they finally declared war. Result- Portugal and France are now in war against Spain, Savoy, Serbia, Austria and Burgundy. Quite a list. Quite a challenge. Quite a war Portugal did not really want.

In the beginning, João IV did not think the best of it. Yes, Portuguese troops went to siege Madrid and Portuguese fleet blockaded Cote d‘Argent, but that was all commitment João IV was ready to invest in war. Also, the war seemed to concentrate on north, where the enemy had massed a joint army of over 40 000 soldiers. While none were left in Spain.

portugal228.jpg

French Call of Arms and situation in France a bit later

Then, it was all quiet for Portugal. João IV dealt with internal things- like establishing House of Trade and passing Merchant Shipping act in 1577. Meaning a bit more money squeezed from Portuguese trade. Also, Portuguese advanced military to level 15. Meaning the Spanish Tercio was abandoned and instead, Portuguese adapted a more flexible line, based on experiments Maurice of Nassau. On side note, yes, the Netherlands are here. But they are one-province minor. Despite the fact that there was war going on, João IV ordered to reform the army. Mostly because though there is a war going on, the Portuguese were only military force left in Iberia.

portugal229.jpg

Some decisions, some advancements

Madrid fell in late December 1577. Portuguese troops marched on to Galicia- mostly because the main Spanish fleet had escaped there. Portuguese Armada Real left only one ship to blockade Cote d’Argent and also sailed to Finistirre Bay, to engage the Spanish fleet when they are forced out to the sea.

Meanwhile, 33 000 soldiers led by Austria re-sieged Madrid and managed to the take the province after about a year. João IV did not want to intervene- he did not want to risk Portuguese lives in the needless battle and instead, continued siege Galicia. In March 1579, Galicia finally fell. That forces Spanish fleet out to the sea. The battle was a failure. Despite their best intent, Portuguese and French joined fleet only managed to capture one cog. The rest of the Spanish fleet fled to Viscaya.

portugal237.jpg

One and half years lost to a siege and the result is this? If i had an admiral, i'd have to fire him.

The War Livens Up

In April 1579, the brave Portuguese troops, led by Alfonso de Avis, attacked the Austrian and Spanish sieging Jaen, a peasant-controlled province... and failed. Portuguese had a bit of numerical superiority, but the enemy position was well-chosen and Portuguese just bloodied themselves against the enemy positions. After losing about 6000 soldiers, Alfonso pulled back.

The enemy split up. Austrians remained to siege Jaen, while Spanish followed Alfonso to Cordoba. The Portuguese were exhausted, tired and had lost their morale after fighting a bloody battle that achieved them nothing. So, the Spanish had upped hand- and soon, Portuguese grand army was on the run. The losses were only minimal though. Still, to put in simply- by June 1579, the Portuguese were on the run.

portugal236.jpg

After the defeat in Jaen, the Austrians were too shattered to follow. The Spanish were not.

Then, the French stepped up. 28 000 French attacked 22 000 Spanish in September. Though Alfonso rushed to help, the French managed without Portuguese help. Alfonso could do something at least- he cut the retreating Spanish off in Toledo.This battle, the Portuguese won and Spanish were on the run again.

portugal235.jpg

Defeating the Spanish after the French have softened them up

Instead of finishing them, Alfonso turned his attention to Austrians, still sieging Jaen. He attacked them in November, forcing them to abandon the siege and in two follow-up battles, last also in Jaen, completely destroyed the Austrian army. One enemy down. The first battle was fought with a combined force from Portugal and France, the rest of the battles were fought by Portugal alone. France just couldn't keep up.

portugal234.jpg

End of Austrians

Meanwhile, Spanish army was marching North. Alfonso forced a quick march on his soldiers and in January 1580, caught them in Languedoc, France. The Spanish were on on a run, but Alfonso beat them to Toulouse and cornered them in February. This was the end of yet another Spanish army, completely destroyed by Portugal. Alfonso marched back to Madrid and started yet another siege of the poor province. Once again, the war slowed down.

portugal233.jpg

... and the end of Spanish

Holy See

In February 1580, the Holy Father in Rome had no choice but to once again face the fact- the majority of Cardinals were under control of beloved King João IV. The Cardinal Market that disgusted most of the Christians was at it again. It was these times João IV thought that Protestantism would really be a good idea- but Portugal was now too deep in the Cardinal game- ready to reap the benefits. The Papacy was in decline- and Portugal was on the rise.

portugal231.jpg

Here we go again!

Also in 1580, Uriel de Faria, Portuguese diplomat, was really good at his job. Good enough that entire Portugal knew him, loved him and felt more confident with him ruling the nation. Result- Portuguese stability rose to maximum. One more thing- Portugal gained level 14 of the diplomatic tech in 1580. The galeasses were of course no use to ocean-based nation like Portugal, but hey, an advancement is an advancement.

portugal230.jpg

Uriel de Faria is truly a great man

Vassalization of Aragon

In September 1580, awed by Portuguese military victories against Spain and Austria, the regency council acting on behalf of Pere V, the son of Ferran II, signed the treaty where Aragon became vassal of Portugal. Meaning, in about 20 years or so, Aragon would be completely integrated into Portugal, the King of Aragon demoted to Duke- though he still had power, Portugal will control Aragon. Though now only 3 provinces- Valencia, Balearic Islands and Malta, the latter would serve as a good military base for Portugal. From Malta, Portugal could control the Mediterranean as they see fit.

portugal232.jpg

Welcome to the happy family of Portuguese people, dear Aragon

The war with Spain still continued though...

War is going well. Why does not Portugal want it? ;)

First, about ideas- i think i've forgotten to mention that i've reach admin 14 and have adapted the Religious Ideas tree. Logic- need missionaries and conversion chance to bring the whole multicultural and multireligious Portuguese Empire to at least monoreligious country. That is a lot of conversion still needed.

Second- the war with Spanish. I really did not put my heart into it in the beginning. Thought it to be a passing fluke, but then got bored of waiting for the war to end and started doing my share. And Spanish provinces take a lot of time to siege, so there is plenty to do while waiting. And i don't want to risk carpet-sieging Spain. Not yet.
And, hullo Aragon! :)

As for Papal Controller- i'm not gonna mention it much, but i'm gonna keep the Papacy for a long-long-long-long time.

Chief Ragusa - oh yes they are. I'm restricted by my forcelimits, but with the Copenhagen shipyards, Danes can outmatch me easily. Still, i'm the second most powerful navy in the world... And Portuguese treasury is in a state where i don't really need to visit the native banks anymore to get money. I can afford all the heavies on my own as well- it's just, Portuguese gametype focuses the attention on small ships, not large ones. I try to keep heavies down to minimal, so i can flood the trade centres of the world with lights. As for Japan- in order to control trade from Japan, i have to control Hangzhou in China first. Unfortunately, both Taiwan and Hainan are in Canton node, so in order to cash most of the trade, i really have to push into heartland of China. Eventually.

Nikolai - because the French started it and it was not in my plans to go to war with Spain. When i would have declared war on Spain, i would leave the French out- then i could concentrate on Spain alone and her allies can't march through France to help them. And i'm not the leader (though i can negotiate peace with Spain and make demands) It is going well though, yes :)

Last edited:
Aragón as vassals, eh? Despite their somewhat small stature, I'm sure they'll be reliable allies – and the land is never bad. ;)

The war seems mixed so far – I'd personally be looking to make Spain cede their Gascon territories to France. I always hate it when they advance into France (as you might imagine after my Burgundy game...)

Updates are always good. Good work winning that Spanish war. Maybe you could have Spain return some cores to your new vassal Aragon? This would cost you no agressive expansion and only minimal Diplomatic points if vassal is a proper rival.

With "Copenhagen shipyards" I'm guessing you mean the Danish idea "Found the Copenhagen Dockyard" (+50% naval forcelimits). It would be a good one for your Portugal. Do you plan on taking Naval ideas yourself?

The War With Spain Portugal Did Not Want, Part II - The Spanish Trafalgar

The slow sieges continued. In August 1581, Madrid fell and Portuguese troops marched on to Caceres. Galicia and Madrid were now under Portuguese control, while the French managed to clear their territory of enemy troops. João IV was still not taking the war too seriously. Instead, he turned his attention to west.

War with Aztecs

In February 1582, Aztecs decided it was good time to leave the coalition against Portugal. João IV decided to send 10 000 Portuguese in addition to 8000 already permanently stationed there to Mesoamerica. And he recruited 10 000 more, so the Portuguese homelands would not come in lacking. The war was declared on July 1582. One army moved north, another south. First province fell in October. In November, Portuguese fought 9000 Aztecs in Mexico and destroyed the enemy to the last man.

This was was like João IV liked. Quick, victorious and enemy won, not like the dragging situation that was Spanish war. In May 1583, a little over a year after the war was declared, Aztecs were on their knees. They were forced yet again to give up all their treasury, almost 2000 gold and give up two provinces. João IV chose the ones connecting Portuguese Aztec holdings to Portuguese colonies in Mesoamerica. Soon, the Portuguese colonies will chain up and connect Inca and Aztec lands.

portugal238.jpg

Aztecs defeated yet again- and Portuguese Mesoamerica

Spanish Trafalgar

After Caceres fell, Portuguese forces moved on to Vizcaya and sieged the base of Spanish navy once again. Meanwhile, Great Britain also declared war on Spain, claiming back Gascogne. And their main fleet joined Portuguese navy in Cote d’Argent- thus creating an overwhelming force in province.

In 30th September, Vizcaya fell. Spanish fleet of 26 ships sailed to see to avoid capture by Portuguese forces. 7 carracks, 13 caravels and 6 flytes. A large force by any case- but the Portuguese-English joined force was 34 carracks, 39 caravels and 8 flytes. To be honest, of that, Portugal only had 15 carracks, rest were English and it was English admiral George Smith who lead the battle.

As the Spanish ships sailed out of Vizcaya, they met English and Portuguese. In a desperate attempt to flee, the Spanish tried to hold close to the land, hoping that enemy does not know the shallows and reefs and would not dare to approach them and then slip away in the quiet of the night. Of course, they failed- Portuguese were also well-versed in the Spanish coastline and with their guidance, Portuguese and English ships managed to get close enough to open fire.

the-battle-of-the-spanish-fleet-with-dutch-ships-in-may-1573-during-the-siege-of-haarlem.jpg

The battle painted by an artist

Rest is history. By the evening, Spanish fleet was no more. Total seven of twenty-six were captured, the rest of the once powerful Spanish fleet was now decorating the seabed in Spanish coast. They will rebuild, naturally. The blow was devastating though.

portugal243.jpg

End of the Spanish Fleet

The War Ends

Meanwhile, Portuguese army was not slacking off. After Vizcaya, they marched on south and captured Jaen and another army started siege of Leon. French took Armagnac and Roussillon, plus they had advanced in the north to the lands of Savoy, Austria and Burgundy. Even English made progress- Gascogne had fallen to them. The Spanish were slowly losing all and eaten from all directions.

It was in June 1585 when the war ended for Portugal. Not trusting French to give something for Portugal as well, João IV signed separate peace with Spain. It took nine years for this war to finish. 9 not quite active years, for João IV refused to take the war seriously. He preferred fighting Spain on his own terms, not as French ally. In the end, the Portuguese managed to gain what was needed though. Two provinces- Jaen and Caceres. With these in Portuguese hands, Spain has only one province left in Seville node- their capital. Also, João emptied the Spanish treasury.

portugal241.jpg

Finally, the peace!

Just a month later, the French also signed the peace with the enemy. They gained Armagnac from Spain and Provence from Savoy. English continued their fight- but Spain was defeated and it was only a matter of time before they also manage to grab something- basically, bringing Great Britain back to France.

portugal240.jpg

... and the French peace

Cross and Cash

In the last year of the war, Portugal had advanced their religious ideas enough to gain another missionary. About the same time, João IV also implemented the Blasphemy Act- meaning more power to the missionaries and more missionaries. The conversion rates rose higher and higher and Portugal was fast becoming fully catholic nation, spreading the faith all over the globe.

portugal242.jpg

More Crosses

Just after the war, Portugal was forced to start modernization of their navy. Carracks had been replaced by galleons- slow, heavy ships with more firepower and survivability then the old ships. Carracks were replaced by first frigates. Fast, powerful ships that can sail fast, sail far and still pack a powerful punch to get the job done. Of course, it also meant that Portuguese shipyards will be busy in the following years. The nation was prepared though- all Portuguese native provinces had docks and other buildings that improve shipbuilding- so the process will be a bit faster and a bit cheaper.

Perhaps most importantly, Portugal gained the supremacy in Malacca. A mission gained about a decade ago was finally fulfilled and the grateful merchants, hoping more profits from the trade, made a truly sizeable gift to the state. 4400 ducats in total- meaning the treasury of João IV was now over 8000 gold. Only nation that had more was Swahili. Portugal, who had been living off the money from natives for a long time, was now herself becoming the prime financial target of other nations.

portugal239.jpg

Galleons and Cash, Ahoy!

Yay, the Spanish defeated! Took me a sweet nine years, but at last, the Seville is almost free of Spanish. I'll let them keep Madrid though.
And as you can see, still 1.1- especially the nice inflation-free money i got from Malacca mission. Anyways, Portuguese treasury is booming.

DensleyBlair - Yes- and soon Aragon as integral part of Portugal. And French managed to kick at least some of the Spanish out of France. And England will take Gascoigne back. And Spain is not the big monster here, though Portugal might be soon :p

MiniaAr - Well, i did not return cores this time- wait till the next war. But that was something i got planned- just wanted to get this one done asap though.
Yes, that's the Danish idea i'm thinking about. My best guess is that Danish are facing the same problem as me- too small limits, too much money. As for naval- that is my next idea. Naval forcelimits have been nerfed a bit, but i definitely need the extra 50%

Dani3l47 - Thanks, and welcome aboard!

At some point, France will become a problem. They are getting powerful, way too powerful.;)

Another great update. Thank you for your answers. :)

Those are some pretty badass Portuguese borders, and surprisingly enough, easy on the eyes ;).

At some point, France will become a problem. They are getting powerful, way too powerful.;)
Well one has to keep the big scary boss alive to end the campaign ;)

I'm sure I had posted. You achieved a good peace with Spain. You gained provinces off the Aztecs. You expanded colonial penetration in meso and southern America. You have contact with the Incas. You gained a majority in the Spice trade and all those ducats were very worthwhile.

You had gained a few more provinces in India. All to the good. You can never have too much of India.

A few(?) more provinces off Spain and you'll be able to make them your vassals. Tremendous result sinking the Spanish fleet. Your galleons will make Portugal even stronger. Perhaps strong enough to take on the Danes. Your next task in Europe is to take down France - sounds like the opening to a Mission Impossible episode. Pity there's no 'France will self-destruct in 3 seconds'.

I'm surprisingly ok with those borders. Spain especially looks natural. Maybe just leave them like that? ;) That said, it would give you a buffer state to keep France at bay...

That's a heck of a load of money! I've never actually fulfilled one of those trade missions yet, so I'm certainly looking forward to all that gold! Hopefully it won't come with the added inflation...

Mission rewards are inflation free. Also, inflation rained by peace deal money is relative - if you make 50 ducats a year you'll get a lot more inflation from visiting the Bank of Mali than you will if you make 500. When you're rich, the extra money isn't nearly as significant as when you're poor.

Man, you're big! From the Empire of Hispania! (Oh, this isn't CKII of course...)

Death of Alfonso de Avis

Fernando de Souto

Fernando de Souto entered the service of João IV in 1566. He served as an explorer, based on Portuguese East Asia- either Island of Hainan, somewhere in Java Island or so. During his lifetime, he made numerous expeditions, some smaller, some longer. He died in sometimes in the autumn of 1585, after he and his crew sailed to discover some hidden parts of the Indian Ocean.

During his almost 20 years of service, Fernando de Souto managed to map most of the East Asia. Chinese coast, Japan, Kamchatka, parts of Pacific Ocean and most of Indian Ocean. His crown achievement was the discovery of yet another continent. South from the Spice Islands, he found a huge landmass. Too big to be called an Island. Fernando tried to call it Joãolandia, but somehow, the name Australia stuck instead. For Portuguese settlers, the island or continent was yet too far away, but some day, Portuguese will step on the island...

portugal245.jpg

Map of Asia after Fernando de Souto

War with Swahili

In September 1585, João IV decided to once again expand his influence over East Africa. Swahili, still in personal union with the Mameluks, were about to find the Portuguese invading their lands once again. This time, the idea was not just conquest- João IV wanted more. By taking two provinces, he could split the Swahili into three parts- first, the inlands in south, then the capital and finally the rest of the coastal provinces.

As soon as the war was declared, two Portuguese armies, one 10 000 soldiers and other 9000 soldiers strong, crossed the borders. The first real battle of the war was when Portuguese fleet of 15 ships arrived in Bay of Alexandria and hit the Mamluk fleet. Portuguese once again proved their superiority- 4 enemy ships sunk and 2 captured.

portugal254.jpg

Mamluks got once again the taste of Portuguese cannons

Kilwa fell in March 1586. After that, Portuguese troops marched south to Mozambique and in one battle, destroyed the enemy army in the Swahili capital. Portuguese losses- 350 soldiers versus 9000 Swahili dead on the battlefield- not bad. Portuguese troops continued the siege of the capital. In May, the city of Quelimane fell and the second Portuguese army marched inlands.

portugal253.jpg

While Swahili tasted Portuguese muskets

Death of Alfonso

It was in June 1586, during the siege of Mozambique. Alfonso de Avis was overseeing the cannons bombarding enemy fortifications. Thanks to the intense heat, Alfonso had donned his armour like most of the Portuguese. They felt fairly safe- Swahili had precious few muskets and were usually a bad shot with the bow. Then, a stray arrow flew from defenders, mortally wounding the prince. Alfonso died the next morning. His body was put into keg of brandy and sailed back to Portugal, where he was buried in Lisboa. All nations sighed of relief- he would not be a good King.

Still, it was back in 1562 when Alfonso first joined the Portuguese army. He was a poor heir, but a good commander- and he fought for Portugal all over the world. From Spain to Incas to nations in the Spice Islands- Alfonso de Avis had been everywhere and fought half of the known world. He has fought countless battles, won most of them and brought glory, fame and power to his father. He will be sorely missed.

Son of Alfonso, José de Avis, will be the next King of Spain now. A bit better ruler then his father, de Avis house still holds the reigns of Portugal firmly.

portugal252.jpg

José de Avis, only marginally better then Alfonso

Splitting Swahili

In August 1586, Mamluk fleet managed to avoid the Portuguese main fleet and sailed to Gulf of Valencia. They had 10 transport ships with them, so most likely they were planning yet another invasion to Portuguese soil. An invasion that was doomed to fail, of course. This time though, the invasion was stopped by Portuguese trade fleet. Caravels, with some new frigates in the mix, attached the Mamluk fleet of caravels, galleys and cogs and forced them to run, sinking a few, capturing a few and forcing rest to flee.

portugal251.jpg

Trade fleet stopping the Mamluk invasion

Meanwhile, the war with Swahili continued in the south. Swahili had raised an army of 7000 soldiers and in August 1587, Portuguese destroyed them in Quelimane. That was the last of the meaningful opposition enemy gave. In January 1588, the war was over. Mamluks were forced to give up Kilwa and Quelimane, thus allowing Portuguese to split the realm into three.

portugal250.jpg

Peace with Mamluks

The plan of João IV bore fruit in just a few years. In 1593, the rebels had broken Swahili several ways. First, the southern lands became independent again and Portuguese had now Mutapa as their neighbours. Second, Swahili personal union with Mameluks ended as the pretender rose to the considerably weakened and more vulnerable to Portuguese, but still totally independent throne.

portugal246.jpg

Swahili just a few years later

Italian Adventures

By 1580, Italy had been divided between four powers. Sicily in the south, Papal States in the middle and Mantua and Milan in the North. Savoy was also independent and Genoa still controlled Corsica, but the rest were divided between these. Until in the early 1580-ies, Tuscany managed to become independent from the Papal States once again. Not as a merchant republic anymore, but as a Duchy of Tuscany. To make matters worse, they were a protestant nation in the heart of Italy.

So, Duke Francesco Stefano I knew he was going to have a hard time- unless he would find some good allies. And it was João IV who looked to expand his influence in Europe who found the Duke just a perfect candidate. Before Francesco realized what was going on, he was allied with Portugal, then arranged royal marriage with Portugal and finally, in September 1590, the Duke gave up his newly-won independence and became vassal of Portugal. João IV had taken first steps in advancing the Portugal beyond Iberia in Europe as well.

portugal247.jpg

Hello, Tuscany! Welcome to becoming part of Portugal

England in France

In was in October 1589 when Great Britain signed a peace with Spain. The Spanish were forced to give up Gascogne- and finally, after more then 100 years, England was back in France. Spain on the other had, was almost out of France.

portugal248.jpg

Great Britain is back in town!

Also in the same year, João IV managed to standardize calibres in the Portuguese army and also, first arsenals were built in the nation.

portugal249.jpg

Yay for military

The Swahili-Mameluk union is broken. Though, to be fair, one of the first things independent Mutapa and Swahili did was to enter the coalition against Portugal. Not nice, not nice at all. At least, i got Tuscany- foothold in the Italy is always good and it is prime time for Portugal to take more active part in European affairs. And by "more active part", i of course mean conquest!

Nikolai - well, but so is Portugal! Coming powerful, way too powerful. I actually have more soldiers/manpower then the French, you know!

MiniaAr- Well, the borders are nice, but one needs more green on the map! Khm, but the only big scary boss in the end of campaign is yours truly! :p

Chief Ragusa - hold on there- i can vassalize Spain despite her having a huge-huge-huge number of provinces in the new world? Hmmm... hmmm.... me like! Gaining all of South America with just few more wars? Tempting-tempting! What happens when Spain moves her capital?

DensleyBlair - the best way to keep French at bay is to bring tough, powerful Portuguese soldiers to the border- and then pour over the borders and crush French armies. As much as it is tempting, the Portuguese will rule Iberia. And if Chief Ragusa is right, it will happen sooner then later.

DensleyBlair, SirKaid - yes, mission rewards will never get you inflation. And currently, taking few hundred gold is not as hard on inflation as it would have been in the beginning. But- you'll never get the same amount of cash. It was a feature of 1.1 where peace deals also were counted as yearly income- so, i got all the gold thanks to me getting 2000 gold from Aztecs last year. Can't do it anymore.

Belgiumruler - Anything sounding like Hispania or Spain as Portuguese sounds just plain wrong! :p

Neat work on Swahili. De Souto did well finding the lands he did. Would have preferred to see more wars with Spain. Next one you have, hover over the vassal option to see what you need and how far away you are