• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
yay it's updated!

I'm glad someone is eagerly awaiting the update. I apologize and will make up with a few long updates .

Section II

Chapter 17 (part 3)

[February 14, 1356]

(Sandomierz, Poland)

Zoltán and Alwin follow the man called Lucas and his friend. When they arrive at the market, they lost the two people among the crowds. Just as Zoltán and Alwin were deciding to return back to the bar, they hear yelling in the distance. They run towards the source of the yelling. After a few wrong turns, they finally arrive at a narrow street. What greeted them was blood and dead bodies. Before Zoltán and Alwin could assess the situation, a few guards pin them down on the ground.

Guard 1: I suggest you two not to put up any resistance.
Alwin: We ...
Guard 2: Shut it! You can speak with the captain later. As of now, we don't care about what your involvement is in this mess.

Alwin was going to answer when he sees Zoltán shaking his head. Taking that as a signal to shut up, Alwin decides to keep quiet while the guards lead him and Zoltán to cart. On the cart, they see the two guys they were following. Given the situation, neither Alwin nor Zoltán feel that this was a good situation to strike up a conversation. Once the guards round up everyone else they suspected, the carts begin to head towards the barrack in the city. Once the group arrive at the barrack, the guards lead the prisoners to the dungeon located below the barrack. Zoltán and Alwin are led to a cell with the two guys they were following. As soon as the guards left, Zoltán decides to start a conversation with the man called Lucas.

Zoltán: What happened there?
Lucas: I guess you weren't part of it. I'm not surprised. The guards act first and ask questions later.
Zoltán: Yes, we are innocent bystanders.
Lucas: Let's just say some foreigners created some trouble and killed a few of our own people. We don't let them get away with murder.
Zoltán: Are they all dead then?
Lucas: Yes, though they are the least of our trouble now.
Zoltán: Why?
Lucas: The captain ...

Lucas stops talking when he hears some footsteps coming closer. The guards pass by without even taking notice of the prisoners. Once the footsteps were distant, LUcas continues his conversation.

Lucas: As I was saying, the captain isn't someone you want to deal with. He's the most corrupt man you will ever meet.
Zoltán: He expects bribes?
Lucas: If only it was that easy.
Zoltán: If only?
Lucas: He asks for bribes he knows you cannot pay. To put it simply, he makes sure that you never will be able to pay him back.
Zoltán: What happens then?
Lucas: Let's just say that people are forced to become serfs.
Zoltán: Serfs?
Lucas: The captain has close bonds with the officials in the city. He owns a sizable amount of land. The people that owe him a debt are forced to work on the land. They make very little themselves but their labor makes the captain a very wealthy man.
Zoltán: So we are faced with that prospect?
Lucas: Either that or torture and death. Neither options are great.
Zoltán: There must be a way to escape.
Lucas: This barrack is heavily guarded. Escape is very difficult.
Zoltán: Difficult doesn't mean impossible.
Lucas: True. What do you have in mind?
Zoltán: At the moment, I am still coming up blank. I do hope our friends on the outside know that we are here. However, it's safer to assume that they don't even know we're here.
Lucas: That is a good assumption. The captain acts quickly to avoid any complications. Usually, families are notified after the captain deals with the prisoners.
Zoltán: How much time do we have?
Lucas: The captain is probably out right now. So I would say we have until tomorrow before he starts his interrogation.
Zoltán: That gives us a good amount of time. We better make use of that.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 17 (part 4)

[February 14, 1356]

(Sandomierz, Poland)

Attila and Laura meets in their usual meeting place.

Attila: Did you hear what happened?
Laura: It would appear those sent after us were all killed.
Attila: It would appear that somehow Alwin and Zoltán got caught up in it.
Laura: I thought you sent them to kill this group?
Attila: No, I would be there personally if I did. Another group did this. However, our biggest concern is the fate of our two friends.
Laura: What do you mean?
Attila: They are currently captured by guards under the infamous captain.
Laura: I don't like the sound of this.
Attila: I heard that, if they are lucky, they will be serfs. Let's just say serfs aren't treated well here in Poland.
Laura: I hope you are devising something to save them.
Attila: I'm trying but I don't have any good ideas right now.
Laura: Oh dear. We're doomed if you cannot think of anything.

Meanwhile, Zoltán and Alwin are checking their cell for a way out. After searching for a few hours, they find a few loose bricks that could be useful later. With the guards still actively patrolling, they decide to wait until nighttime. To pass the time, Zoltán decides that he wants to strike some conversation with other prisoners. He first speaks with the prisoners in the cell next door.

Zoltán: Anyone there?
Man: What do you want?
Zoltán: I want to get out of here. Not sure about you.
Man: You must be new here. There is no way out.
Zoltán: I don't believe that. Plus, staying here isn't better than death.
Man: What do you for a living?
Zoltán: Mercenary, why?
Man: If you are willing to fight with your life, I might be able to help you there.
Zoltán: Really? I thought you said there wasn't any way out.
Man: People I usually speak with fear death. They cannot get out of here. If you're willing to fight, then that's a whole different story.
Zoltán: I'd say you have been here for quite a long time.
Man: I have. I'm tired to being stuck here and don't mind getting out.
Zoltán: Well, how about sharing your name?
Man: My name isn't important. However, I guess giving you something will make communication easier. Thus, you can call me Shadow.
Zoltán: Shadow?
Shadow: Yes, give me some time. I need to get together our group. Then, we fight for our lives.
Zoltán: Alright, I'll be waiting for your signal.
Shadow: Good. Very good!

A few seconds of silence passes before the man known as Shadow begins to move around his cells. After a brief talk between him and another man, Zoltán and Alwin can hear whispers throughout the entire dungeon. The guards order everyone to quiet down and everything did die down. However, it becomes obvious that the Shadow has spread the word. As for what awaits the three men in their cell, they know that they must be ready.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 17 (part 5)

[February 14, 1356]

(Sandomierz, Poland)

Alwin and Lucas are dozing off while Zoltán stays awake waiting for the signal. There are occasional whispers between cells but those were quickly silenced by the guards. From within the cell, Zoltán soon realizes that the sun has gone down. The patrolling guards has lessened over the last hour or so and Zoltán knows that their time to act is almost here.

Shadow: Psst!
Zoltán: I'm awake.
Shadow: Wake your two friends as well.
Zoltán: Alright.

Zoltán shakes both Lucas and Alwin awake. When they have confused expression on their face, Zoltán simply pointed to the cell Shadow is in.

Zoltán: They are awake now. What are we waiting for?
Shadow: Take this.

Shadow throws something into Zoltán's cell. Alwin picks it up and recognize them as keys.

Shadow: Listen very carefully. We only have one chance. Don't mess it up. You will receive a signal that tells you to open your own cell. I won't need to tell you what the signal is as I'm sure you'll understand soon enough. As soon as you leave your cell, we will all head towards to exit. Along the way, pick up anything you can use as a weapon. We will be fighting our way out and using your fist alone won't be an ideal situation. That's enough talk between us. I hope we can meet on the outside.

Shadow then coughs. Seconds later, an explosion occurs in the distance. Taking this as the signal, Alwin quickly uses the keys to open the cell door. Once they were outside, they follow the other prisoners. In the distance, they can already hear fighting taking place. They only stopped long enough to pick up a weapon from one of the many corpses on the ground. However, the fighting only just begun in the dungeons. Once the trio arrive at the courtyard, they see a great battle between prisoners and guards taking place. Zoltán signals to his two friends to wait while he searches for the exit. After a quick scan of the surroundings, Zoltán sees the main gate. The problem was the fact that the main force of the guards were blocking the way to the gate. Zoltán signals to his friends to charge towards the direction of the gate. The prisoners that just left the dungeon, apparently mistaking Zoltán as their leader, followed suit. A brutal battle took place as both sides suffer heavy casualties. Alwin and Lucas both got wounded in the fight but they continue to push forward. An hour passes by before it becomes obvious that the prisoners were losing. With inferior weaponry and lack of training, the prisoners were losing too many men. The guards merely had to delay the prisoners while their reinforcements are coming from all over the city. The prisoners know that they must get out before that happens. Before the charge, Zoltán talks with his friends.

Zoltán: It's good knowing you two.
Alwin: It's not over yet.
Lucas: Ya, don't give up hope yet.
Zoltán: I've lived a good life. I'm glad that my last moments would be with two great friends. You two need to live on. I was always a mercenary where my life has always been on the line. You could say I've grown numb to the idea of death.
Alwin: We'll live through this together.
Zoltán: Don't try to comfort me. Here's the plan. I'll charge into their mix and create chaos. The rest of you use that opportunity to sneak past the guards.
Alwin: You'll die!
Zoltán: I know. However, staying put would result in all of us dead. Good bye, friends!

Without another word, Zoltán charges towards the barricades. He leaps over the kills the captain. Next, he fought against all the guards by himself. Alwin and Lucas are fighting their urge as they aid the remaining prisoners to sneak past the guards. With the captain dead and an enemy is the midst of them, the guards are too focused on Zoltán to pay attention on the prisoners. The prisoners got out of the gate and going their own ways. Alwin looks back once and he sees his friend struck down by the guards. Fighting back the tears, he and Lucas disappeared into the night.

Several hours later, Alwin and Lucas arrive at the building Attila is staying at. After a few seconds of knocking, they get inside.

Attila: How did you get out? Where's Zoltán?
Alwin: Zoltán is dead. He died trying to save everyone else.
Attila: No!
Alwin: He was a true hero. I wish I've known him earlier.
Attila: And this is?
Alwin: This is Lucas. He was in the same cell as us.
Attila: I'm guessing you trust him.
Alwin: Yes, he is, after all, the leader of the group that killed the mercenaries sent after you.
Attila: Is that the case? Well, thank you very much. We've been trying to rid them for a long time. Are you going back to your group?
Lucas: Yes. However, I'm afraid we need to leave here. The city officials will hunt us down.
Alwin: Why don't you come to Hungary with us?
Attila: That's a great suggestion!
Lucas: Thank you! I will leave now to gather my men. We will meet outside the south gate tomorrow morning.
Attila: Excellent! See you tomorrow then.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 18 (part 1)

[February 15, 1356]

(Sandomierz, Poland)

Outside the gate, the party led by Attila has already been waiting. Attila wants to leave the city as soon as possible. Interesting enough, the guards didn't ask too many questions. The group walked out of the gate without any problems and they simply waited. During this time, Attila tries his best to cheer Alwin up. Alwin was very close to Zoltán and the death of his friend has left him devastated. Alwin hasn't eaten much and this has become very worrying for Attila.

Attila: He died trying to protect all the survivors. He died a hero.
Alwin: I know. Yet, I was a coward. I was afraid to die.
Attila: That makes you human.
Alwin: He was a human too.
Attila: I bet he died with the reassurance that he had you as his friend.
Alwin: I didn't do much for him.
Attila: Actually, he saw you as a little brother.
Alwin: What?
Attila: I chatted with him the night before you two were caught up in the mess. He said the best thing that happened to him was to meet you. You reminded him of a brother that died a long time ago.
Alwin: I'm surprised he talked that much with you.
Attila: We were both drunk at the time. Unlike most people, I remember the conversations I had when I was drunk.
Alwin: Did he talk of any regrets?
Attila: He never got a beautiful woman as his wife.
Alwin: I thought as much.
Attila: There, you must be feeling all better now.
Alwin: The talk did help. I wonder where Lucas is at.

A man jumps out of the tree Alwin is sitting in front of.

Lucas: I'm right here!
Alwin: You scared me. What were you doing there?
Attila: How long were you there?
Lucas: I heard your entire conversation. I was just waiting for one of you to mention my name. How was my entrance?
Attila: When have your group gotten out of the city?
Lucas: We got out as soon as I got back from your place. We knew a few ways to get out of the city. I didn't want to wait until morning. So, we've spent the night out here.
Alwin: I guess we can start our journey to Hungary now?
Lucas: Yes, let's go. By the way, where's your sister, Attila?
Attila: Don't you get any ideas! She's already engaged.
Lucas: Can't blame a guy for trying.
Alwin: Have you decided on a path we're taking. Attila?
Attila: We'll take the same path my group took here. There was little trouble on the way here. I have faith that will be the case on our way back to Hungary.
Alwin: Alright, what's our situation with funds?
Attila: We can get by with all the travel expenses. You won't be going hungry. That I can reassure you.
Lucas: We also packed enough booze for everyone.
Alwin: I don't drink.
Lucas: You can start now.
Attila: I think so too. You need some booze now to drown out your sorrows.
Alwin: Enough talk! Let's go!

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 18 (part 2)

[February 15, 1356]

(Venezia, Venice)

Man 1: Master, you summon me?
Master: Yes, have those two been eliminated?
Servant: We've sent the men there? However, they are returning empty handed.
Master: Explain to me how they can fail this simple mission. Two easy targets that are unarmed. They should be dead by now.
Servant: They found out somehow. I believe the person who betrayed them was found dead at his house.
Master: I find it interesting that they discovered the traitor. I wonder how?
Servant: I can reassure you that those men are trying to track down those two right now.
Master: They better succeed. Otherwise, they will learn that the hunters can become the hunted.
Servant: Should I tell them of this?
Master: No, let them believe they are still safe. They will learn the truth soon enough.
Servant: I see. May I ask a question?
Master: Go ahead.
Servant: Why must we hunt them down? They shouldn't post any threat to us.
Master: That's where you are wrong. Never estimate your enemies.
Servant: What threat can they pose? They lost everything. They have nothing now except for the clothes on their backs and some merchandise.
Master: They have something else.
Servant: What?
Master: Their last name.
Servant: How can a name pose a threat?
Master: Their family had great influence in Venezia. Even if they lost power, they still have allies here.
Servant: Shouldn't we eliminate those allies?
Master: Those allies would aid us more alive than dead. It would be easier to eliminate them anyways.
Servant: I see. I guess I should leave now. You have a meeting with the other Patricians in an hour.
Master: No, you can stay. I don't need to prepare for the meeting. Follow me.

The master leaves the room with the servant following close behind. After walking down the long hallway, the two men turn right to walk down some stairs.

Master: Do you know what is down here?
Servant: I've been told to never ask.
Master: You have been here long enough. I believe in your loyalty. So, you will learn today.

The stairs twists and turns with the path lit by a few torches. Once the two men arrive at the bottom of the steps, a large door stood in their way. The master takes out a key and puts it into a hole in the wall. After turning the key, the door opens slowly.

Servant: Master, what's behind the door?
Master: You will find out soon enough. Just wait.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 18 (part 3)

[February 15, 1356]

(Venezia, Venice)

Walking through the door, the two men stood inside a large chamber.

Master: This was once a crypt for Byzantium nobles. At that time, our great city was still at its infancy. A mere outpost for an empire that outlasted the Roman empire.
Servant: Are the bodies still behind the doors?
Master: No, we removed the bodies a long time ago. Why don't you guess when?
Servant: I cannot possibly guess correctly. Please tell me.
Master: Remember the fourth crusade?
Servant: The crusade in which Constantinople was sacked?
Master: Yes, that crusade marked the the rise of our nation and the decline of the Byzantines.
Servant: How so?
Master: I understand that you were never informed of this. You see. The riches that were plundered from Constantinople mostly found their way to Venezia. However, we dared not to anger Byzantines. Thus, we needed a place to hide the riches. The riches are hidden here.
Servant: The Byzantines won't even bother checking the crypts. Meanwhile, our acts of careful maintenance can be explained by our respect for the nobles.
Master: Yes, that is indeed the case. The Byzantines have heard rumors of the riches reaching us but they never had any evidence. Thus, we are safe to do what we want. We have spent a small portion of the riches here and you can already see how far that got our nation. With careful planning, we will soon control the trade in Mediterranean and all we relied on was the riches we got from Constantinople.
Servant: You are truly brilliant, my master.
Master: I cannot take all the credit. Our ancestors have been the intelligent ones. I am merely the one to bring about greatness to our nation.
Servant: You definitely will, my master. There's no one stopping you.
Master: You are wrong. There are two people that pose a threat to us. The two that have evaded our trackers.
Servant: How?
Master: They have claims on the riches here. Instead of focusing on bringing our nation to greatness, they want to use the funds to aid those in need.
Servant: How foolish can they be? Give up a glorious goal to accomplish something so small? They deserve to die.
Master: I brought you down to see something as well.

The master walks down the hallway with the servant following close behind. Suddenly, he turns to his right and opens a door with a key hidden in his coat. The two entered the small room.

Master: What do you see?
Servant: A chest.
Master: The chest contains something incredible. They say the secrets to immortality is contained in a box within it.
Servant: Really? Why is it hidden down here? Master, you can do wonders if you gain that knowledge.
Master: Unfortunately, the way to that secret is lost. At least, the way to reveal it is lost.
Servant: What do you mean?
Master: See that book beside the chest?
Servant: Yes, it looks like it's in Hungarian language.
Master: That book once contained two keys. To unlock the secrets of the box, I require the two keys.
Servant: Do you mean that the keys are lost?
Master: Yes, it is a pity that we got the secrets so close yet so far.
Servant: There must be a way to open the box without the keys.
Master: Opening the box without the keys might result in the loss of the secrets.
Servant: How?
Master: I have heard about similar boxes where the contents were destroyed when the boxes are forced open. I cannot be sure if this box had similar traps but I'm not taking a risk. Even if I failed to open this box, I wish to leave it to my descendants.
Servant: Why do you wish to tell me this?
Master: I want to send you to the Hungarian capital, Buda. I want you to get clues on the whereabouts of the keys.
Servant: Understood, master.
Master: Go now. Go to my right hand man. He has done all the preparations.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 19 (part 1)

[February 16, 1356]

(Buda, Hungary)

Adrian escorted the king into his study.

Louis: Anything to note about our war? I have stopped bothering with it since we got nothing to gain from it.
Adrian: Despite being heavily outnumbered, the Pommeranians have held out so far. Their allies haven't been so fortunate.
Louis: So their allies are taking much of the brunt? I find that interesting. Their provinces still aren't seiged yet?
Adrian: We haven't received any reports. It shouldn't take too long now. However, we have a slight problem.
Louis: What problem?
Adrian: The king of Poland isn't happy with our lack in involvement in the war. He is demanding that we send our men over.
Louis: Does he know how far my men need to travel?
Adrian: He said he granted us access through his territory. He will even provide the supplies for the men.
Louis: I guess we have no choice. Can we send a small force?
Adrian: He won't be happy if we do. Let's just say he wants us to make larger contribution.
Louis: Oh right, we will send all our forces. I only hope that the Austrians and Bohemians won't take advantage of the situation.
Adrian: Indeed, that is worrisome for us. We will need to take some precautions.
Louis: I doubt the precautions will leave us any less vulnerable.
Adrian: We must exit the war quickly if we want to suffer the least amount of losses.
Louis: May God protect our nation.

A messenger enters. He gives the king a message sent by a spy in Pommerania.

My king,

We sent this important message to inform you the situation in the war. The Pommeranian king has gotten himself in a great mess. His nation is now in multiple wars. Even with his allies, there is little chance they can come out on top in any of the wars. If we wish to take any Pommeranian land, this would be the perfect moment. The Polish are competing with Lithuanians for Mazovia territory. An opening is there for Pommerania. However, the main Pommeranian force still stands. Thus, we must dedicate a large force to overcome their forces. Time is at the essence. We cannot hesitate anymore. If we are to strike, our men in Pommerania will do our best to gather the information necessary to ensure our success.

pvh8.png

The king hands Adrian the message.

Louis: Their king got their nation in quite a mess.
Adrian: It will take a miracle for them to not be taken over by another nation.
Louis: Chances are that they will be split amongst many nations.
Adrian: Should we make a move then?
Louis: What are your thoughts?
Adrian: So far, expansion is very difficult for us. We have many powerful neighbors and a war will anger them all. This might be much needed opportunity for us.
Louis: You do know that governing such a distant province would be very problematic.
Adrian: We can always make them our vassal.
Louis: We can do that. However, our neighbors won't be too happy. They are looking for an excuse to attack us.
Adrian: If only we can get a claim over their lands. Then, making them our vassals will be legitimate.
Louis: We don't have a lot of time. I guess we can send our troops over while we try to get some claims.
Adrian: Understood, I'll inform the generals now. We are racing against the clock.
Louis: We are. We are ....

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 19 (part 2)

[February 16, 1356]

(Debrecen, Hungary)

Two guards escort Richard and another man in Cato's study. Once they enter the study, Cato signals the guards to leave before closing the doors personally.

Cato: Let's get straight to business. Did your people dig anything up regarding the reports of the rebels?
Richard: Before I begin, I would like to introduce you to my right hand man. He is called Roland. You can trust him.
Roland: Nice to meet you, mayor. Richard has spoken highly of you.
Cato: I didn't think he would do that. Anyways, I hope you have good news for me.
Richard: So far, we haven't got enough. We know that the report could very likely be forged by the viceroy himself. As for the reason, there are rumors that he sought a treasure kept by a highly ranked Transylvania noble. When that noble refused to hand over the treasure, the viceroy hoped to take it by force.
Cato: Must be some treasure if the viceroy is willing to kill for it. Any ideas what it might be?
Roland: We haven't figured that out yet. We still need more time. However, we might have the name of the noble.
Cato: Maybe we can have someone meet him. I need to know the entire situation before deciding on our next moves. Can you organize someone to go there?
Richard: That is possible. However, the situation there will be messy. Our king isn't happy about the rumors and he has increased the garrison here. Organizing a meeting might be tougher than you think.
Cato: I guess I will go personally.
Roland: Personally? How can you leave here?
Cato: I can leave Richard to take care of business here. My excuse for leaving would be to strengthen the border guards. If I personally go, the noble might be willing to meet me.
Richard: That's a risky move. However, my gut is telling me that you are picking the right choice. I will contact my men there tonight. When will you leave?
Cato: I will meet write to the viceroy today. With him in town, I hope that I can start my journey tomorrow. Ideally, I'll be there by tomorrow.
Richard: I wish you luck. With the tensions, there's a chance you might not survive this.
Cato: That's a risk I have to take.

As soon as the two men left the room, Cato writes the letter to the viceroy and dresses up for his meeting. Hoping that the viceroy has time for him, he takes a quick mount and reaches the residence of the viceroy. After a brief talk with the guards, they escort him to the viceroy's dining room.

Martin: Dominik! It's wonderful to see you here. What brings you here?
Cato: With the rebels in Transylvania, I understand we need to take some actions. I have little experience in battle. Thus, I want to use this opportunity to check out the border patrols and learn a thing or two there.
Martin: Eager to learn, are we? I do think this would be a great experience for you. When do you think of leaving?
Cato: I hope to leave two days from now. There aren't much time before the battles will take place. I want to use whatever time we have left to learn.
Martin: Alright, I will order a messenger to reach a general on the front lines, You will meet with him and learn under him. Hopefully, the rebels will be put down quickly.
Cato: Thank you, viceroy. I will use what I learn from this experience wisely.
Martin: Keep this up and you will be getting a promotion once the rebels are put down.
Cato: I'll look forward to that, viceroy.

Cato quickly leaves to meet up with Roland at a nearby tavern.

Cato: It's been taken cared of.
Roland: Good, Richard has sent word to his men there.
Cato: Where will I meet them?
Roland: Outside Turda. They will then get you inside the city and meet with the noble. If everything goes well, we will have all the information we need by tomorrow night.
Cato: Hopefully that will be the case. I have a feeling what we will learn will help me prepare my revenge.

Roland hands Cato a map before the two men go their separate ways. Cato heads to his residence and prepares to pack his bags. He decides to pack lightly to ensure a quick trip. Cato heads to bed early to start his journey as soon as the sun rises.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 19 (part 3)

[February 16, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

Sophie and her father has finally arrived in Arad where they hope to make it their new home. During the entire trip, Sophie couldn't stop thinking about Augustyn. Yet, she knew it was best that they never meet again.

Pebbles: Meow!
Sophie: We'll be indoors soon, Pebbles. I know you didn't enjoy our trip too much.
Sophie: I hope we can find a home as well. Let's hope this place will be it.

Francisco walks toward them.

Francisco: This will be our new home. It will be a bit cramped but it's the best I can get. I hope to get a stall going tomorrow and start making some money.
Sophie: Why are they still after us, father? They have already chased us from our home. Why do they intend on killing us as well?
Francisco: I wish I knew the answer, my dear. I just hope we lost them and they won't come here. I want to settle down after all of our narrow escapes.
Sophie: I think I want to find Pebbles a mate.
Pebbles: Meow?
Sophie: You're old enough. Don't be shy.
Francisco: Let's head inside to rest. It will be a busy day for us.

Francisco leads the way as the three make their way to a small room. Soon after they finish packing their few belongings, Sophie falls asleep on the bed with Pebbles. Francisco closes the door silently before walking out onto the streets. It doesn't take him long to reach the marketplace. The marketplace is packed with people despite the fact it was so late at night. It has been a long time since he saw a busy marketplace. Eager to set up shop here, Francisco looks around to see any empty stalls. Suddenly, a man taps him on his shoulder.

"Isn't this Francisco? I thought you were captured already. I guess God has made it my lucky day to get the generous reward for your head."

Before Francisco can react, someone pulls him into a dark alleyway where he is knocked out.

"Sweet dreams. Francisco."

(Debrecen, Hungary)

Richard: All the preparations are done. Is he actually willing to go through with this?
Roland: He's too stubborn to do otherwise.
Richard: I wish him luck then. The situation between us and Transylvania is rather complex. I hope he knows what he's getting himself into.
Roland: He's bent on revenge and he's willing to do anything to get it.
Richard: Revenge is a terrifying thing. However, I think revenge might just be the factor that will shape Cato into a great man. He has risen higher in status than he even thought possible. If he continues his path, he will achieve great things when his revenge is over.
Roland: I don't think I've ever heard you admiring someone else.
Richard: He has grown on me. I wouldn't be surprised if he becomes the viceroy after all of this.
Roland: I'm heading to bed. I thought you had something important to say. Instead, you are just complimenting Cato.
Richard: One last thing. I'm going with Cato.
Roland: ...
Richard: I take it that you have no objection.
Roland: I think your foolishness has finally caught up with you. How old are you? You still think you can handle the danger?
Richard: Yes, I do. You see, I want Cato to succeed. If he does, there are only pros for me. Let's call a gamble with all it. Winner takes all.
Roland: If that is what you want, then go ahead. It's not like I can talk you out of it.
Richard: You can try.
Roland: No thanks. I'm going to bed now. Write to me when you finish the job.

Roland heads out onto the street while Richard sits down looking at the candle.

Richard: Roland. Once this is over, we will both start our own families and live a decent life. You are right about one thing though. We are getting too old for this.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 20 (part 1)

[February 17, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

Sophie wakes up before the sun even rose. She hears knocking on the door and looks around the room. With her eyes adjusted to the darkness, she sees only Pebbles. Seeing that her father isn't there, she has a feeling that her father went out and couldn't get in. She reluctantly gets up and heads for the door. As soon as she open the door, a man throws a sack over her and knocks her out. Pebbles, alerted by the intrusion, tries to attack the man. The man quickly takes out another sack and throws the cat into it. Next, he hauls the two sacks outside where he is met with his partner. The two men got on their cart with the sacks and begin their short trip to their hideout.

(Debrecen, Hungary)

Cato walks up to the gate where the gatekeeper is dozing off. Cato gives the gatekeeper a light tap on the shoulder. The gatekeeper, waking up slowly to look around, jumps up when he realizes the mayor is in front of him.

Gatekeeper: Mayor, I was just resting my eyes. I wasn't asleep, honestly. Please, don't punish me. I have two parents, a wife and three children to take care of. Please, let me off the hook this time.
Cato: I need to head outside. Open the gate now.
Gatekeeper: Yes, mayor.

The gatekeeper quickly opens the gate to let the mayor through.

Cato: You've never seen me. If you keep this secret, I won't punish you. Understood?
Gatekeeper: Yes!
Cato: Now close the gate and try to stay awake.

Cato quickly walks down the path to start his journey to Transylvania. After an hours walk, he sees a man resting under a tree with two horses.

Richard: What took you so long?
Cato: Richard?
Richard: I apologize for not telling you earlier, Dominik. However, I want some more excitement in my life before I finally retire.
Cato: I won't be able to talk you out of it, can I?
Richard: Nope. Let's get going, shall we? We'll make more progress on these two horses.

Cato gets onto one of the horses and the two continue their journey. Above them, the sky is cloudy and threatens rain. As though the locals thought so too, the two men haven't encountered anyone along the journey. Luckily, the rain never came down and the two made great progress. The two men stopped for lunch before they they got back on their horses. Not long after lunch, the two men arrive at a forest where they were to meet with Richard's men. The two get off their horses and rest under a tree which could provide them some cover from the inevitable rain. The two wait patiently while they chat about their next few steps.

Cato: You will get me inside and I will take care of getting an appointment with the noble.
Richard: No need. My men has that take cared of. Apparently, one of them has been in contact with the noble.
Cato: How?
Richard: Let's call it an interesting twist of fate. One of the noble's daughters took a fancy of that man. They had a conversation which the noble overheard. Luckily for us, the noble wanted to avert conflict and agrees to the meeting.
Cato: That makes things easier, doesn't it?
Richard: That's the good news.
Cato: The bad news?
Richard: The Transylvania court is divided and there are those that encourage the conflict. They would do anything to prevent your meeting from taking place.
Cato: You mean they have heard about it?
Richard: We aren't sure but we should assume they do. We need to get you in and out in one piece. That will be tough.
Cato: Well, no one said this would be an easy task. I just wish the two men you spoke of can get here already. I would rather be indoors when it rains.
Kid: My thoughts exactly.

Cato looks above him and sees a young kid.

Kid: Hi, my name is Anton. My brother got sick and couldn't come. So I'll escort you two gentlemen into the city. Follow me!

Without waiting for a response, Anton jumps from branch to branch and both Cato and Richard struggle to keep up.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 20 (part 2)

[February 17, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

Francisco wakes up and rubs his head. He takes a look around the dark room and has trouble seeing anything. As his eyes adjusted to the darkness, he sees a body nearby. Getting closer, he realizes that it's Sophie and he runs over to check on her. Luckily, she is still breathing and appears to be merely unconscious. Just as he was about to wake Sophie up, he hears a voice from the door.

Man: Francisco, you are awake now! How wonderful! I was hoping that we can speak now that you are an honorary guest of ours.
Francisco: Do you lock up all of your guests?
Man: Under the circumstances, I have no choice. However, don't worry too much. I'll be sure to move you to better accommodations in three days. How does that sound?
Francisco: So you wish to starve us here until then?
Man: Of course not! You will get served with three meals a day. If you look behind you, there's even a small chamber you can use for your waste. I know this isn't the most comfortable accommodations but you will need to tolerate it for now.
Francisco: Why did you bring Sophie as well?
Man: I cannot bear to have father and daughter separated. I'm doing you a favor here. How about a thank you?
Francisco: You are a sick man.
Man: Not only do you not thank me but you insult me as well. If it was someone else, I would teach them a lesson. However, I have special plans for you too. I hope you don't mind waiting. I will now place your meals through the door, I suggest you to eat up and get some sleep. Good night!

An opening in the door opens and food was set inside before it closes again. Francisco, not wanting to wake Sophie, carefully backs up. While he backs up, his fingers got in contact with something furry.

Pebbles: Meow.
Francisco: I didn't think they brought you as well.
Francisco: I wish I can understand you like my daughter does. However, let's just hope that we can get through this together.
Francisco: There are some food at the door. Let's eat something and not wake Sophie up.

Francisco and Pebbles walk towards the door slowly and begins inspecting the food. To Francisco's surprise, the food provided are usually only available to the upper class. Since leaving his home, Francisco hasn't had such a lavish meal. Francisco and Pebbles both dig in while ensuring that enough food is left for Sophie. While Francisco eats, he tries to figure out what situation they are in. If they are captives to be killed, why is the captors treating them so well. There is something amiss and Francisco hopes to figure it out. Pebbles begins yawning and Francisco follows suit. Barely able to keep his eyes open, Francisco decides to sleep for the night and figure something out in the morning. Pebbles, as though reading his mind, heads towards Sophie. Pebbles stretches a bit before lying down for her sleep.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 20 (part 3)

[February 17, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Cato and Richard, despite being on horses, can barely keep pace with Anton who gets around the trees with ease like a squirrel. Half an hour passed before Anton stops under a tree. Cato and Richard stop to look around. At the side of the path, they see a small trail going further into the forest.

Anton: The horses will attract unwanted attention. We will go down this trail to a barn where your horses will be cared for.

Anton runs down the trail and Cato and Richard followed suit. It doesn't take long for the trio to arrive at the barn Anton is talking about.

Cato: Is there no one here?
Anton: Nope, this is an abandoned barn. No one come here anymore, especially with a war possibly looming in the area. Your horses will be safe here. I believe that you two will be done with your business by tonight?
Richard: We aren't sure yet. Let's hope that's the case.

The trio enter the barn where they tied the horses up. After closing the door, Anton leads to way to the city walls. After a ten minute trek, they make it to the city walls where not a single guard can be seen.

Cato: Odd, I would think that there would be more men placed on the walls.
Anton: There are lots of soldiers placed at the gatehouse. With the outposts yet to report any suspicious activities, the soldiers aren't going to waste their time watching the forest.
Cato: They must have great confidence in their outposts relaying the information back here.
Anton: They know that a small force cannot win against them. With an army that's capable of defeating the Transylvania army, it's a bit tough to sneak them in without anyone noticing.
Cato: How do we get in?
Anton: I'll show you.

Anton runs over to the wall where he pulls open a sewer grate and points down. Cato and Richard run over and look down the sewer with hesitation.

Anton: Don't worry! This part of the sewer hasn't been in use for a long time. Luckily, it's quite wide and even you two can fit through it. My brother is waiting on the other side. Let's go!

Anton crawls into the sewer and begins to crawl down the dark tunnel. Cato and Richard, knowing that there isn't any other way in, enter the sewer to begin their crawl. While Anton is right about the sewer being wide, it is still a tight fit for Richard and Cato and thus progress is slow. To their relief, Anton was also right about the sewer being in disuse. There isn't much of a smell and that made the crawl slightly less uncomfortable. In more than one occasion, Anton yelled back to hurry the two adults. He even tries to call them old men but that still didn't help speed up the progress. After nearly an hour of squeezing through the tight space, the duo finally arrive at the opening. Anton has already opened the sewer grate and says that he would wait outside. Cato exits first and is immediately blinded by the sunlight. Once his eyes adjust to the light, what greets them isn't what he hoped for. In front of him, he sees Transylvanian soldiers blocking off the exit.

Soldier: We've been expecting you! Please come with us without a fight. We hate to use force right now.

Cato takes a quick look around and doesn't see Anton anywhere. Thinking quickly, Cato signals Richard with his hand to back up. He hopes that the darkness would be able to hide his friend's retreat while he distracts the soldiers. Richard, realizing the what the signal meant, begins to crawl backwards while making as little sound as possible.

Cato: I wasn't expecting a welcome party. I hope you're not taking me directly to the gallows.
Soldier: At the moment, you are a guest that our noble is expecting.
Cato: A noble is expecting me?
Soldier: This isn't the best place to talk. Please follow me to a better place.
Cato: Alright, just let me loosen my muscles. The sewer is a tight fit.

Cato does some stretches and, once he is sure Richard is hidden deep in the sewers, get out of the hole. Walking towards the soldier, he take a look at his surrounding and sees the streets empty. Without much choice, he follows the soldier to wherever they are taking him.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 20 (part 4)

[February 17, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Cato follows the soldier down the street towards the city center. As he walk, he wonders if he has walked into a trap. A trap where Anton is the bait. Still, he is relieved that Richard isn't with him. Whatever wait for him in this city, he would face it alone. Oddly enough, the streets remain empty during his entire walk. Soon, Cato sees himself walking into the inner half of the city where the wealthy make their homes at. As soon as the party pass through the gatehouse, the portcullis closes behind them. This guaranteed that Cato wouldn't be escaping without any help. Still, he is curious what a noble would want with him. Is it the same noble that wants to end the war? Or did another noble, who supports the war, discover his plan? Cato is so overwhelmed by the questions that he doesn't notice the soldier in front of him stopping. He bumps into the soldier.

Cato: Sorry. It's been a long journey.
Soldier: That is understandable. You may enter through here.

The soldier points down a path that leads to an elegant manor. Walking down the path, Cato checks a few times behind him but the soldiers remain outside. With no other choice, he makes his way to the entrance of the manor. As soon as he walks up to the entrance, a servant greets him.

Servant: My master is expecting you. Please come in quickly. I believe that the business you two are speaking of is urgent.
Cato: Alright, lead the way.

Cato follows the servant down the long hallway. He is amazed at how elegant this manor is. Compared to his own, this was clearly fit for the kings. The servant stops at a doorway and directs Cato into the room. Cato walks in to find himself in a very comfortable study while the servant closes the door. The walls are filled with bookshelves with a large fireplace splitting the room in half. An old man is sitting in a large chair in front of the fireplace. The old man, holding a book in his hands, look up. The old man gives an impression of a wise man who still have many years ahead of him. The old man signals Cato to sit down at the other chair in the room. Cato walks carefully towards the chair.

Old man: Have no fear. I have no traps here. You are, after all, a guest and not an intruder.
Cato: I didn't feel that way when I was escorted by soldiers.
Old man: Don't worry about that. It was merely a show for others.
Cato: Others?
Old man: There are others that wish to take your life. However, they don't know you. If I have guards escort you as though you are a spy, then they don't be suspicious.
Cato: Won't they be suspicious of the guards not following me?
Old man: Ah, a good observation. You see, I usually post guards inside the door who would deal with the interrogation. However, I have not done so with you, have I?
Cato: No. That doesn't make me any more relieved though.
Old man: A cautious man. I like that. I believe that you are here to stop a war.
Cato: I'm here to attempt that. I cannot make any promises.
Old man: Good. Very good. Dominik.
Cato: Since you know my name, care to share with me yours?
Old man: You may call me ....

A knock on the door interrupts the two men in the room.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 20 (part 5)

[February 17, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Cato looks at the old man with caution. He knows that he isn't safe here and the knock may not be a good sign. The old man, as though nothing much has happened, walks towards the door. He opens the door and enters the servant. The two men talk for awhile before the old man sits back down in his seat and the servant leaves.

Cato: Well?
Old Man: The preparation is ready. Do you trust me enough to come with me?
Cato: I don't think I have a choice. If you were an enemy, I would be tortured by now. I will go with you then.
Old man: Good. Before we set out, let me tell you a story.

When the Mongols attacked us, their ferocity and swiftness caught us off guard. Our people have suffered greatly as entire villages were sacked and its people massacred. Our very lives were at stake and we struggled to survive in the harsh conditions. When the Mongols suddenly retreated, we knew we only had a limited amount of time before they return. We needed to find someone who can defend us from a second invasion. All hope seemed to rest on the Hungarian king. He introduced new fortifications and tactics that were rumored to counter the Mongols. We provided the Hungarian king a very generous offer. If he could protect us from one Mongol invasion, we would swear our allegiance to him and his successors as long as our people never die out. The Hungarian king agreed to the offer and, as promised, repelled the Mongols. With that great victory, we saw the Hungarian king as the true ruler of our land. Until every last one of us die, we will always serve him.

Cato: That's some story. It's tough to believe that such a thing would happen.
Old Man: At first, we thought it was a story too. Just a bedtime story for kids. However, a discovery changed all that.
Cato: The treasure?
Old man: Indeed, the discovery of the treasure changed everything. The discovery also split our nation of Transylvania in half as well. Our nation once longed to join Hungary but that seemed like a distant dream.
Cato: I assume you want Transylvania to join Hungary.
Old man: I do. I have lived long enough to see the consequences of a split. Only unified can we be strong.
Cato: So what is the treasure?
Old man: It's best you see it for yourself.

The old man stands up and walks towards the door. Cato follows him and those two make their way down the hallway. The two men then turn right to walk down stairways. After walking for a few minutes, they stop in front of a door where the servant is standing before. The servant, seeing the arrival of his master, opens the door and moves aside for the two men to enter. When Cato enters, he sees a large chamber with a chest in the middle of the room.

Old man: Go ahead, open the chest.

Cato walks to the chest and opens it. Instead of jewels and gold, he sees documents inside. Looking at the document, he realizes that they must be written from a long time ago.

Cato: Don't tell me that these documents are proof.
Old man: Yes, what is written inside coincides with the story. There isn't anything else to debate about it.
Cato: How did my viceroy learn about this treasure then?
Old man: When this treasure is discovered, our nation was immediately split. While many of us cheered for the news, there are those amongst us that saw the news as a bad omen. Those men opposed the rule of the Hungary king since the birth of our nation.
Cato: They told my viceroy, didn't they? But how is that suppose to help them?
Old man: They know the ambition and greediness of your viceroy. By telling him, he would demand something he wouldn't get.
Cato: That would lead to a war Transylvania cannot win then.
Old man: Once the blood is spilled, it will take another century before the bloodshed can be forgiven.
Cato: They want to buy more time. I see that, at the cost of innocent lives, their nation would still be somewhat independent.
Old man: Yes, they are willing to do anything to achieve their goals. Unfortunately, their plan is already in motion.
Cato: If I can meet the current Hungarian king, I just might be able to change the situation around.
Old man: What will you need?
Cato: If our king gets the treasure, what will happen?
Old man: That is a pretty big if.
Cato: That won't stop me from trying.
Old man: Come with me then.

The old man walks out the chamber with Cato following close after.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 20 (part 6)

[February 17, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

The two men walk back to the old man's study. Inside, they are greeted by another man.

Old man: This is General Lezeu. He will get you out of the city tomorrow morning.
Lezeu: Yes, I was told that you arrived, Dominic. I'm surprised that you decided to come here. That takes some courage.
Old man: Now that we are better acquainted, let's get down to business.
Cato: Which is?
Old man: My servant will get you a bed. You will need to be well rested and be ready to leave.
Cato: Aren't you going to tell me anything before that?
Lezeu: You can be sure that I'll get you out of the city.
Cato: Are you staying overnight as well?
Lezeu: No, my job tonight is to get the treasure out of the city first. Once you leave tomorrow, you will need to take it with you and get to your king.
Old man: The goal seems simple. The process won't be easy. That's part of the reason I asked Lezeu to help us. His influence and intelligence will guarantee you get out in one piece.
Lezeu: I'm honored you put so much faith in me. I don't want to guarantee anything right now.
Cato: Don't worry. I know that there would be a chance I may not survive if I come here.
Old man: For the sake of our two nations, I hope you will survive to accomplish your task.
Cato: If I get out of here, I will try my best. Though, meeting the king isn't going to be an easy task. I hear that he has plenty on his plate with the war with Pommerania.
Lezeu: There might be something that could work in your favor if the information I gathered is correct.
Old man: What information?
Lezeu: The Hungarian king might not know this conflict between our two nations.
Cato: That can't be possible.
Lezeu: Hard to believe, right? Your viceroy wants the treasure all for himself. To be on the safe side, he wants your king to not find out.
Old man: Looks like the situation is more complex than I have imagined. I'm now worried if you can get past your viceroy.
Cato: That may just be the tough part. I hope my friends can aid me here. Otherwise, I doubt even I can complete this mission.
Lezeu: I think you should get some rest. We can talk all night and never cover everything. It's best you go with the flow and make decisions on the fly. I will get a few of my soldiers in here to take care of the treasure.
Old man: My servant will take Dominic to his room. I will take our general and his men to the treasure. Tomorrow will be a big day for all of us. Looks like the fate of our two nations will rest in our hands.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 1)

[February 18, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

A few men enter the cell quietly. With well rehearsed coordination, the men quickly get out their sacks, ropes and blindfolds and begin their work. Francisco and Sophie are tied up and blindfolded before they can realize what has happened to them. Pebbles, woken up by the chaos, tries to attack the men but she was thrown into a sack. The trio is quickly ushered out of the cell into the hall where they are led by the men. After a few minutes of walking blindfolded, the trio suddenly find themselves pushed into a room. Francisco takes a few minutes before he realizes the men that were escorting them has left them alone.

Francisco: Sophie, are you alright?
Sophie: Other than being blindfolded, I'm alright. How are you, Pebbles?
Francisco: I wish I wasn't tied up as well.
Sophie: Wait a minute!
Francisco: What?
Sophie: One of the men untied me before leaving us alone.
Francisco: Hurry and untie me as well.
Sophie: Okay, let me take off my blindfold first.

Sophie takes off her blindfold and lets her eyes adjust to the light. Unlike what she expected of a cell, the room actually seems very high class. Once her eyes are adjusted, she starts working on untying her father. With her father's hands free, she opens the sack on the floor to free Pebbles. Francisco looks around.

Francisco: This wasn't what I expected. What game are they playing as?
Sophie: Who are they?
Francisco: I'm not sure. If they are keeping us locked up, I would say they may have connections with those in Venice.
Sophie: So are we going to die here?
Francisco: I don't know, my daughter. I didn't think they would track us so easily. It seems almost as though we walked right into a trap.
Sophie: How did they find us so easily?
Francisco: I want to know that as well. At the moment, I just wish they can let us know our fate. It's better knowing and accepting your fate than to wait to see what the future brings.
Sophie: I'm hungry too. Father, let's eat the food they prepared for us. I prefer not to waste it.
Francisco: This might be our last meal together. Let's enjoy it to the fullest.
Pebbles: Meow!!!

The trio dig into their meal.

Francisco: It has been a long time since we've eaten such a great meal. I just have a bad feeling about this.
Sophie: Well, dying on a full stomach isn't that bad, is it?

The door suddenly opens with three men entering. Based on their clothes, it was obvious that one was an upper class man followed by two guards.

Man: I hope your meal was satisfactory.
Francisco: Let's cut to the chase why we are here.
Man: You haven't changed one bit Francisco. You were always so impatient.
Francisco: You talk as though you know me.
Man: I'm hurt. Have you forgotten me already? To think you once considered me as a brother.
Francisco: Don't tell me ....
Man: You remembered?
Francisco: Nope.
Man: ...
Francisco: You wouldn't be Caravello?
Caravello: About time, old friend.
Francisco: To think that you are the one to take my life now.
Caravello: Not quite. Let me tell you a bit about my past first.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 2)

[February 18, 1356]

(Turda, Transylvania)

Cato is woken up by a servant early in the morning. The sun hasn't risen yet but the servant urges Cato to move quickly. Cato is led to a small banquet hall where he is given a nice breakfast. After finishing the meal quickly, Cato follows the servant to the study of the noble. In the study, the noble and general Lezeu are discussing the plans when Cato enters.

Lezeu: Dominik, good to see you here. We will be moving out soon.
Cato: Good! Are you two discussing the escape plan?
Lezeu:Yes, we are just clearing up some minor details. I hope you are ready to get out of here.
Cato: I cannot wait to get home. Of course, I need to head to Buda first.
Old man: I wish you two the best of luck. Like I said last night, the fate of our two nations will depend on the result of your mission.
Cato: It would help if I know a bit about the escape plan.
Lezeu: There's no time. Just listen to my every command and you'll be fine. Let's go!
Cato: Goodbye, old man. I hope we can sit down one day and discuss about the prosperity of our nations.
Old man: I hope so too.
Cato: Before I leave, there's one thing I need to ask you.
Old man: What's that?
Cato: What should I call you?
Old man: Ah yes, we were interrupted last time. You may call me Sebastian Sonnac. Time for you to go now!

With that, the general leads Cato into the hallway and the two men exit through the back door. A group of men, dressed as merchants, patiently wait outside for the departure. Cato, once led outside, is pushed into a barrel before he can complain. A lid is quickly placed above him and Cato, uncomfortable about his temporary situation, wants to let the general know. However, the general whispers that this is all part of the plan and that he should remain silent. Without any other choices, Cato stays quiet while the group starts its trip towards the city gates. Given how early it is, the group doesn't meet too many people along the way and reaches the gate in good time. Cato listens carefully when the group suddenly stops.

Guard: Well, if it isn't general Lezeu. What brings you here?
Lezeu: I have important goods to deliver to the scouting parties. I suggest you move aside!
Guard: You should understand the situation. We must be cautious about what goes in and what goes out.
Lezeu: Are you implying I'm a traitor?
Guard: No, it's just that ....
Lezeu: You think I am trying to smuggle something? I want you to make it clear right now! I should warn you, accusing a general of treachery isn't a small crime.
Guard: I'm ....
Lezeu: Are you going to let me through or not?
Guard: ...
Lezeu: ...
Guard: Understood, I apologize for wasting your time. Please don't give me a hard time.
Lezeu: I have urgent matters and that explains my lack of patience. I don't blame you. Men, let's move out!

With that, the group has exited the city and makes its way to the forest.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 3)

[February 18, 1356]

(Outskirts of Turda, Transylvania)

The group makes her way towards the abandoned barn where Cato left his horse. To his surprise, Richard is waiting for him and greets him when he arrives.

Richard: Well, Dominik. I'm glad you are in one piece. Anton explained the situation to me and I have forgiven him. However, I wasn't sure if you can leave the city safely.
Cato: I would say everything went smoothly.
Lezeu: It did, didn't it?
Cato: Oh yes! Richard, this is general Lezeu. He helped me get out without any problems.
Lezeu: I found it odd. It seemed too easy to get you out.
Richard: I'm not surprised one bit.
Cato: What do you mean?
Richard: I've received some bad news back home. It looks like your missions only gets tougher here on out.
Lezeu: Please explain.
Richard: We have heard that the viceroy has now listed Dominik as a traitor to be executed on sight.
Cato: That doesn't sound good. How did he found out?
Lezeu: Someone in the city found out.
Richard: Yes, they want the viceroy to take care of Dominik here.
Lezeu: Why not rid me in the city?
Richard: The general is with you. If he is influential, then it's quite likely they don't want internal conflict during this crisis.
Lezeu: I wasn't cautious enough. It looks like your situation will get a lot tougher.
Cato: No one said this was easy. Have you thought of anything, Richard?
Richard: I've been keeping in touch with contacts. We will have to use the smuggling route to get you to the capital.
Lezeu: Then you have it covered?
Richard: Not quite, there is a chance that our smuggling route has been discovered and we have Hungarian troops patrolling them.
Cato: We just need to get out of Partium. If we can encounter any soldiers in the other provinces, then we can ask them to aid us.
Richard: First, we must get through Partium. With the crisis, I wouldn't be surprised that he placed more soldiers en route. Sneaking past them will be tough. Even for me.
Lezeu: I might as escort you two out of Transylvania. It's not like your plans aren't discovered already.
Richard: I think it's best you don't. We need to attract as little attention as possible. By the way, were you followed?
Lezeu: We were sure that no one followed us.
Richard: I still think we should assume that they have kept track of our movements.
Cato: Good call. First, we need to get the chest attached to my horse. Yet, the horses could easily give us away.
Lezeu: If you don't mind a suggestion, I'd say that you should take the water route. That may catch them by surprise and you will be closer to the next province.
Cato: Yes. Thank you, general. I hope we can meet again one day.
Lezeu: I wish you two luck. The fate of tens of thousands depend on it.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 4)

[February 18, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

My family wasn't the wealthiest among the five leading families. However, we did enjoy the privileges of the wealthy. I went to the best schools so I can take over for my father. Our family was happy with its status and didn't want to get itself involved with the republic politics. That was about to change when my father came upon a key. One of the ships in our trading fleet came across a sinking ship on her way back to Venice. The crew of the ship were ordered to rescue any survivors. Among the survivors, there was the captain of the sunken ship. When they returned back to Venice, the captain requested to meet my father. As a token of gratitude, the captain gave my father a key. He said the key unlocks a safe which was rumored to be filled with treasure.

My father was happy with what we had. Thus, he gave the key to the ruler of Venice instead. At that time, the ruler of Venice was from the Papacizza family. The ruler requested that my father reveal the location of the treasure. However, we weren't even sure if the treasure existed or not. Thus, my father naturally didn't know the location. When my father tried to explain that he doesn't know, they declared us as traitors. We were chased down and most of us were captured, tortured and killed. I was fortunate to escape with my uncle who had some money on him. We needed to escape where the Papacizza had no influence. Thus, we continued our journey east until we reached here. With the small fortune my uncle had, we started a business here and, over the years, we have managed to be very successful. We've been satisfied with our lives here and decided to forget about Venice for good. We cannot return there without the chance of being killed.

Caravello: That's my story.
Francisco: So they have destroyed your family too.
Caravello: Indeed, it looked as though they didn't end there. Your family wasn't spared either. Their greed for more wealth and power seemed insatiable.
Francisco: How did you hear about us?
Caravello: We still had some connection with Venice. The crisis that hit your family was easy to catch wind of. I hoped to help the survivors but finding them hadn't been easy.
Francisco: How did you find us then?
Caravello: The place you were renting belongs to me. When I was informed, I headed your way and saw you.
Francisco: Why did you have to knock me out then? Why did you have to kidnap us?
Caravello: There are people looking for you. I believe they were sent by the Papacizza family.
Francisco: I thought I threw them off. Guess they are more resourceful than I thought.
Caravello: They are professionals. I'm just surprised you managed to evade them for so long.
Francisco: Thank you, my friend.
Caravello: What are your plans?
Francisco: Plans?
Caravello: Are you heading back to Venice or are you going to start a new life here?

A knock on the door caught the attention of the people inside. Caravello walks cautious out of the room and talks with his guard. He then returns to the table.

Caravello: We have a problem, it would seem.
Francisco: What?
Caravello: Some government officials are waiting outside. They spoke about kidnapping involving us. I don't know how they found out.
Francisco: Is there anything we can do?
Caravello: I'm not sure why they would be interested. If they are just, then we have nothing to worry about. If they have connections with those chasing after you two, then we have a problem.
Francisco: Well, I will meet with them nonetheless.
Caravello: Why?
Francisco: I thank you for aiding me. However, I do not want to bring about problems for you. I will face these officials and pray that they do not wish us ill.

Francisco starts making to the door when Sophie grabs him.

Sophie: Father, we'll do this together.

Francisco doesn't stop her daughter as she gathered Pebbles in her arms. The two arrive at the doorway where Francisco asks the servant to lead them to the officials. The servant, after a nod from Caravello, starts making his way to the guest room where the officials are waiting at. After a few turns and climbing the stairs once, the group arrive at the guest room. Sophie enters the room first where she catches sight of a man.

Sophie: Augustyn!

The two young lovers embrace themselves and Pebbles gets caught in the middle.

Pebbles: Meow! :mad:
Sophie: Sorry, Pebbles.

Pebbles leaps onto the floors and watches Sophie and Augustyn continue their embrace.

Last edited:
Section II

Chapter 21 (part 5)

[February 18, 1356]

(Arad, Hungary)

After the two lovers finish their embrace, they excuse themselves before walking to another room. Once inside, Sophie starts crying.

Augustyn: Don't cry, my love. We are together again.
Sophie: I know. I never thought I would see you again.
Pebbles: Meow! :)
Sophie: Oh dear, how did you get in here?
Augustyn: She's worried about you. Don't worry, Pebbles. I won't harm her.
Sophie: How did you find us?
Augustyn: Well, I guess I should explain a bit about my background. I'm part of a royal family in Buda.
Sophie: I can't believe it. Why would you work for my father?
Augustyn: I fell in love. They say love makes you stupid.
Sophie: You weren't too bright to start with.
Augustyn: I guess. I was mad that day and wanted to calm down with a walk. During the walk, I saw you.
Sophie: You should be a story writer. You are pretty good.
Augustyn: I'm serious!
Sophie: Me too.
Augustyn: You're making fun of me, aren't you?
Sophie: You look silly when you are helpless.
Augustyn: Are you happy now?
Sophie: Are you mad?
Augustyn: With you? Never?
Sophie: How did you find us then?
Augustyn: I used my connections and they told me that they last saw you here. So, I came here and asked around. I heard that you were kidnapped and brought here. That's why I'm here.
Sophie: I was kidnapped. Though the kidnappers didn't do me harm.
Augustyn: Why are you here then?
Sophie: There are people after us. If they find us, they wouldn't hesitate to kill us.
Augustyn: Who are they?
Sophie: I shouldn't tell you any of this. I've spoken too much already.
Augustyn: If you are going to be my wife, I think this is a good time to tell me.
Sophie: Who says I want to be your wife?
Augustyn: You don't want to?
Sophie: You haven't asked me yet?
Augustyn: Will you be my wife?
Sophie: Let me sleep on that.
Augustyn: Alright, please tell me about yourself then.
Sophie: I don't know if you should know. Give me some time then.
Augustyn: You like to toy with me, don't you?
Sophie: If I'm your wife, then you better get used to it.
Augustyn: I will. Still, I cannot let you be alone until I'm sure those chasing you are dead.
Caravello: You won't need to worry about them.

Augustyn, Sophie and Pebbles look towards the doorway where Caravello is sticking his head in.

Last edited: