• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
I made a westernisation guide on the old wiki so hopefully its been ported (woop it has), here it is http://eu3wiki.com/How_to_Westernise#As_Nomad

Biggest pain will be the size of your nation which means recovering stab will be a nightmare. On top of the guide I'd advise 3 5-6 advisers, it might be worth having Artist, High Judge and Diplomat to reduce stab time, revolt risk and infamy (which boosts stab cost), nailing your inflation down will also help.

I made a westernisation guide on the old wiki so hopefully its been ported (woop it has), here it is http://eu3wiki.com/How_to_Westernise#As_Nomad

Biggest pain will be the size of your nation which means recovering stab will be a nightmare. On top of the guide I'd advise 3 5-6 advisers, it might be worth having Artist, High Judge and Diplomat to reduce stab time, revolt risk and infamy (which boosts stab cost), nailing your inflation down will also help.

Well at least he will have a ton of training hunting down huge stacks of rebels by that point. Although a TSC right after a westernization (which you will get, of course, the RNG cannot let you keep a westernize-able ruler for more than one step, we couldn't have that) could be extremely awful.

@Dauth: Hmm pretty generalised stuff, but it's interesting to know I would have to go through 21 stab hits. I wonder if churches are really for the best. My magistrates are very limited and the income from constables may serve me better. Especially considering im sure to have more negative stability cost modifiers than positive ones, so I won't be getting the full 4 points.

A high judge might work, but I can't imagine giving up my commandant or fort defense advisor would turn out well for anyone. :) Infamy shouldn't be a problem, at least.

@Lagren: Haha! Thank you! I always thought my other AAR had more action than this one, but I'm glad your finding it so fun! :D

@Delta388: Ugh! It's certainly going to happen now that you've said that! At least -8 RR from policy restrictions, -4 from stability, -5 from nomads and -10 from a TSC. Gods. At least I shouldn't have any uncored provinces by that point, probably.

@sprites: Hmm quite possibly, at least I might be able to get out of nomads without going any further than Muslim. Depends how high I can get my government tech, really.

Fort Defense is absolutely lovely during rebelfests - like low stab TSCs - anything that slows them down long enough to be swatted basically.

Chapter 25 - Last of Their Kind​

Having a few months break from war and just focusing on hunting down rebels has been a pleasant change, but the horde begins to grow restless. There is still so much of Europe that we have yet to explore, so let's get to it. First up: The Teutonic Order.

Timurid707.jpg~original

Unfortunately this isn't enough to satisfy the horde at all and they continue to grow antsy which threatening to cause trouble within our borders. Not wanting to the situation to escalate we simply increase the freedoms of the general populace for now.

Timurid709.jpg~original

Thankfully Scandinavia steps up to sate some of the hordes bloodlust as they try to prevent us trapping them beyond the strait. It's a pretty risky gambit on our part as we can't even see when or where they are going to try to cross, but unfortunately for them reinforces were close at hand and arrive in time to beat them back.

Timurid710.jpg~original

Munster becomes our next new border, but they aren't likely to put up much of a fight either. At least we get to explore some lovely new lands!

Timurid712.jpg~original

French provinces continue to submit and we soon have another new border; This time with the long lost Burgundy. It doesn't look as if they will last too long either, though. Horde armies are already rushing to greet them.

Timurid715.jpg~original

Down in Italy we have finally managed to scout out a path across the strait, cutting down the travel time required significantly. We may actually have a chance to cross now, but we will once again need to make use of our mysterious ship-magnet abilities in order to get a clear path.

Timurid717.jpg~original

Struggle as they may, Scandinavia fails to prevent us from taking their closest mainland provinces. Each time they tried they were quickly fought back, though they never lost more than some manpower in their efforts. The hard part is over with and now we can sit back and strike at any liberation attempts in our own time.

Timurid720.jpg~original

Soon after we finally get a nice juicy target to offer up the horde. Aragon have apparently managed to take part of Brittany and a border is gained. No doubt the horde will be eager to invade them properly after they caused us so much hassle the last time we met them.

Timurid722.jpg~original

It takes us a small while to get some troops into the relevant positions, but our ship-magnet abilities are still as potent as ever and Naples soon finds they are not as safe as they may have thought. Hopefully they are starting to regret being so troublesome with their fancy ships.

Timurid725.jpg~original

It's not long before Aragon shows themselves by somewhat foolishly invading Languedoc. Naturally, they are pounced upon by the horde to devastating effect. It looks like we will be heading into their homeland sooner than expected.

Timurid728.jpg~original

Flee as they might, with the horde chasing them so eagerly Aragon simply does not have enough time to recover from such a loss. Before long, their entire homeland is under siege and their future is starting to look a pretty horde-like shade of red.

Timurid736.jpg~original

With that, it's about time for the next new target to appear. Novgorod joins the company of the countries fighting bitterly for their survival, and hopefully they can put up more of a fight than Aragon did. Paying tribute to the Golden Horde seems to have had little effect on their army size at least.

Timurid739.jpg~original

Lucky for them Brabant also jumps back into the ring and also brings along its vassals. Having taken up the position of emperor they are able to field an more inflated number of troops than we would have expected from someone of their size.

Timurid740.jpg~original

Clearly not wanting to share the fate of France, they invade us in huge numbers before we even have time to gather any troops in the area. They are very bold in declaring themselves as such a threat to us.

Timurid741.jpg~original

And indeed, it does not go unnoticed. Many horde troops are immediately attracted to the area and are quick to engage with their forces. Brabant fails to make the same mistake as many who have come before them however and takes us very seriously indeed. Our troops are easily defeated and we wisely get them out of there completely in order to recover.

Timurid744.jpg~original

Meanwhile Scandinavia is doing their best to liberate their provinces and maintain a presence on this side of the strait, but sadly all they manage to accomplish is attracting another large horde force to ruin their day. Sorry, Scandinavia.

Timurid750.jpg~original

We also get some news from the Golden Horde that Sibir has managed to break free of their influence and is now fighting for independence. Wars of revolution are never pretty and this one could threaten to shake up the long standing peace between the various horde factions. We could of course hope the Golden Horde quickly resolves the situation, but when have they ever done that before...

Timurid751.jpg~original

Brabant soon calms down and once again attempts to invade us again, so it's time to get back to action. This time we are taking no chances.

Timurid754.jpg~original

Of course, there remains one more significant power left in continental Europe that could hope to challenge us: Castille. A border is gained, they are finally revealed to us, and the final wars for Europe have begun. The horde is ready, but are they?

Timurid757.jpg~original

Not bad Castille, not bad. But uhh, where... are your ships?

Province Count: 301 (+46)

New provinces:
  • Naples - Calabria.
  • The Papal States - Westfalen.
  • Brunswick - Hannover.
  • Cleves - Berg.
  • France - Franche-Comté, Barrois, Anjou, Maine, Île-de-France, Valenciennes, Champagne, Cambray, Toulouse, Lyonnais, Artois, Alencon, Languedoc, Armor, Dauphiné, Caux, Nemours, Limousin, Calais, Périgord, Normandie, Picardie, Vermandois, Armagnac, Rouergue, Vendée.
  • Auvergne - Auvergne, Poitou.
  • Lithuania - Trakai, Vilna, Wenden.
  • Berry - Berry.
  • Wallachia - Oltenia.
  • Orleans - Orleanais.
  • Alsace - Elsass.
  • England - Nice, Hainaut.
  • Aachen - Aachen.
  • Bourbonnais - Bourbon.
  • Polotsk - Polotsk.
  • Brandenburg - Neumark
  • Foix - Béarn.

Next time: Chapter 26 - Borrowed Time

Castille is fielding less men than Brabant? :D but you've no one in the area to fight them for now so I guess the teaser is a concede defeat to either them or Brabant.

Castille with an army of 26k and only 2 ships? Wow, what a letdown. Now I guess it's on to paint the world red in Timur's honor? Not like anyone but yourself is going to stop you now...

@sprites: Yeah, Brabant is super rich and has emperor force limits, plus the vassals bring some troops as well. It would take a pretty huge disaster for me to concede defeat to either them or Castille though!

@Delta388: I know, right? I would have to guess they got knocked around pretty harshly by England, and probably just disbanded their troops left abroad when that war ended. It shouldn't take them long to build back up to strength with all those provinces, but the ships could be an issue in that they won't be able to transport troops across the channel.

Why would I stop me, though? I am only somewhat prone to sudden bouts of incompetence! Really! Or did you perhaps mean some sort of super disasterous TSC?

Of course, there is also endboss England to consider depending on how we go with westernising. They have pretty much free reign of the new world and they are also involved with my secret bonus objective that will hopefully make it interesting. :happy:

Why would I stop me, though? I am only somewhat prone to sudden bouts of incompetence! Really! Or did you perhaps mean some sort of super disasterous TSC?

Of course, there is also endboss England to consider depending on how we go with westernising. They have pretty much free reign of the new world and they are also involved with my secret bonus objective that will hopefully make it interesting. :happy:

Yeah, the super mega TSC is what I meant, if you really begin westernizing while still owning a lot of uncored provinces a TSC at the wrong time could be a lot of "fun" (for some definitions of fun ;) )

And yeah if you really wait until the last moment to westernize England might be pretty brutal, they might have doomstacks so technologically advanced you can't seriously challenge them. On the other hand, even with that, what could they realistically do against a unified Eurasia? At the very worst, you could still fight a battle of attrition they simply can't keep up with.

Chapter 26 - Borrowed Time​

As if we didn't have enough to do already, the Golden Horde is suddenly calling us in to help them with their war against Sibir. From what we can tell they simply can't work out how to siege properly, but as faithful allies we shall join nonetheless.

Timurid759.jpg~original

As we have still yet to fall into the horrors of total peace our war taxes have activated again on their own, which could become a concern as we have only a WE drain of 0.04. Hopefully we can continue to conquer territory at a steady rate as each looted city clears 0.25 of our WE.

Meanwhile, the battle against Brabant rages on and it's not long before we reach a decisive victory. One of our armies breaks off in order to chase them down while the others move to protect our vulnerable siege forces.

Timurid760.jpg~original

They ultimately prove ineffective however as Brabant uses access from their neighbours to sneak around where we cannot follow. They manage to chase off our siege forces, but they have also left their other army wide open to another hordish assault.

Timurid763.jpg~original

We also finally engage Novgorod's main army after destroying some of their minor forces. Not even their general will be able to save them from our superior numbers, and soon they will be completely open to an invasion.

Timurid764.jpg~original

Another Brabant army has been broken and our siege forces quickly move back into place. Once again we send one army to chase it down while the others set their sights on the final remaining target.

Timurid765.jpg~original

Castille soon begins their own invasion. They leave one of their armies to siege Bearn, which just happens to have been scortched, and the other goes off to beat up some of rebels for... some reason. We can only assume they have no idea how to properly fight a horde, or at all now that France is gone.

Timurid767.jpg~original

It's soon time to take on the final remaining Brabant army, and try as they might there is no escaping their fate. They are easily caught by our forces and it's only a matter of time before they too are defeated.

Timurid768.jpg~original

Sometime after we return to Scandinavia and push their armies back across the strait, allowing us to take the bordering provinces. Hopefully this means the path across will soon be revealed and we will be able to invade them from this direction.

Timurid772.jpg~original

In other news, Nogai has done the most insanely suicidal thing you could possibly imagine. What.. else is there to say? They must really like Sibir.

Timurid773.jpg~original

Many of the new horde citizens are having a tough time adjusting to their new lives. Even though we try to explain to them how much better life in the horde is, they continue to insist they are being treated unfairly. We are merciful enough to grant them some additional freedoms to placate them, but sadly we have already lost some precious stability.

Timurid776.jpg~original

Castille has managed to capture the fort in Bearn and quickly moves on to attempting to liberate Burgundy, who are their allies. They were able to raise a decently sized army by now so we are content to leave them to it for a time. England has also started to invade our shores in various places.

Timurid779.jpg~original

Novgorod is eventually defeated after many, many battles as our army chased them all over the place. For some reason they took very few losses each time before once again retreating. With that done though our troops are spread out to siege the entire country.
It seems Smolensk has been patiently waiting to strike at Novgorod as well and now that we have taken care of their troops Smolensk is quick to declare war. They are only a minor concern as we already have our troops in place, but they also drag along their ally Scandinavia which could be a problem.

Timurid780.jpg~original

In other news, it has taken 65 years of hard work on the part of our missionaries but eventually they have managed what many thought impossible. Rome has been converted to Islam. From here Christianity will only continue to be stamped out until the entirety of Europe has joined us in our one true faith.

Timurid785.jpg~original

It doesn't take long for Scandinavia to agree to a peace deal with Novgorod, but unfortunately they have still managed to ambush many of our siege forces before our armies were able to return and engage them. They quickly flee for now, but being able to now freely enter Novgorod's land could turn out to be very troublesome for us indeed.

Timurid786.jpg~original

England continues to be a pain as they have now started to liberate Scandinavia's provinces. At this point we already have so many things to deal with and they have managed to become annoying enough that we decide to simply concede defeat to them. We shall simply deal with them later.

Timurid788.jpg~original

With that bother dealt with, we are free to focus on the major powers still remaining on the continent. Aragon is soon fully occupied, at least as much as they can be, and our forces quickly move into Castille to begin exploring their lands while they are still distracted with Burgundy. They have also begun to colonise Bearn, but we should be able to liberate it before that becomes a problem.

Timurid790.jpg~original

Provinces continue to submit and we soon have another new border, this time with Gelre. They are simply yet another minor state that will be easily dealt with as soon as we can drag an army away from fighting rebels. Nearby, Brabant has certainly seen better days as well.

Timurid792.jpg~original

It's soon time for our next slider move and this time we shall simply move innovative up to the restriction. The result is luckily just a simple loss of prestige, which is functionally nothing to our glorious horde. There are just 7 more slider moves until we are ready to westernise, but with our next move due in no loss than another 30 years it could be quite a wait.

Timurid795.jpg~original

Castille is almost completely revealed, but they do not seem to be too happy about it and have begun to rush back in order to defend their homelands, abandoning Burgundy almost completely. It looks like it won't be long now before we have a fight on our hands!

Timurid798.jpg~original

Province Count: 317

New provinces:
  • The Papal States - Liege, Namur.
  • England - Vlaanderen.
  • Scandinavia - Slesvig, Jylland, Hamburg, Stade, Oldenburg, Holstein.
  • Teutonic Order - Pskov, Estland.
  • Munster - Osnabruck, Munster.
  • Burgundy - Nevers, Charolais.
  • Naples - Palermo.

Next time: Chapter 27 - Smooth Sailing

Last edited:
Oh, I think the pope is going to stay around for at least another... 210 years?

But wow, Nogai is certainly not afraid of about anything. Since GH is not known for its competence and the Timurids have their eyes elsewhere, they might actually be fine though.

Ah , i forgot England, with their annoying fancy ships! they still have their Guyenne territories.
Holland is at level 9 apparently so they can start with their blockades ...
Scandinavia can be pretty bothersome too , maybe you'll be able to do the Naples trick on them.

Scandinavia can be pretty bothersome too , maybe you'll be able to do the Naples trick on them.

That could be much more awkward. There are two straits to cross, not one! Stack wipe for sure if defeated on the central island with nowhere to retreat. And there's much Provinces in Scandinvia that Naples had in Sicily.

Probably the best would be a two fronts war. A diversion on the Danish strait just to try to focus their army there and then launch a major offensive through Finland once Novgorod is gone (attrition! attrition!)

@Zozo: Thanks! I have about twice as many cavalry as infantry now, those actual armies can vary wildly. I am constantly shuffling stuff around.
That pope.. he is a master of diguise! He has already fled countless times (4?) and will no doubt excape once again. There are still plenty of islands left that will take him, I'm sure.

@yequr: You make a good point about the GH, but Timurid eyes are everywhere! :) There lands don't have much interest to us though, it's true.

@sprites: Mhmm, England being pests as always. They are terrible at actually defending themselves though, so they will be easily defeated later on.
I'm hoping I can manage to invade those islands! Idealy I just want to leave small forces to siege the islands while my main army moves all the way across, but I doubt anything will happen soon will all the navys around, especailly Holland's trying to blockade me. Trying to fight on the islands would not go well.

@Zozo: That's pretty much the idea, yep! A little attrition won't bother us as we have France's manpower now and we are big enough that we won't get much WE at all. The issue is if we can't take out their armies quickly then they can start crossing the Sweden-Finland strait as well. Scandinavia is just a huge pain.