• We have updated our Community Code of Conduct. Please read through the new rules for the forum that are an integral part of Paradox Interactive’s User Agreement.
It would be too little too late, Unless I could find some new helpful exploit, I've reached the point of no return.

That said, if Paradox would fix the Sound Bug then my game would be progressing much faster. It is so irritating having the SFX cut out on you every 5 mins into a game.

Just play with SFX and music muted and have a media player open in the background. I found that the EU4 soundtrack, while good, is incredibly repetitive.

Just play with SFX and music muted and have a media player open in the background. I found that the EU4 soundtrack, while good, is incredibly repetitive.

The problem is not the music.

It's the sound effects which are surprisingly important to notice certain things. Call to Arms is a big one that is easy to miss when clicking many things.

There was a thread with reddit that gave explicit instructions on how to pull off even Ryukyu's WC.

Just doing really rough math, I don't think the game mechanics as currently in place allow for Ryukyu to finish a WC in time. They're not as bad off as say, a New World nation in terms of playing catch-up, but they are behind, have a poor set of innate ideas for a WC, and by the time you get them to Europe, breaking the blobs that will have formed is such a time consuming process that while you will be able to win, you won't be able to do it fast enough because of the timers hooked to coring, vassal annexing, etc. They are all just set to be too long given the limited number of diplomats you could possibly have.

In my experience, coalitions do not break after defeat.

Bah, looks like I've just found this out. It would be nice to be able to break the back of rebellions but this is Paradox's master plan.

Same here, but they do offer individual peace deal during the war occasionally when they are being beaten badly. Coalition feels like the biggest barrier towards large conquest not because of their combined military might, but because how it screws you over in diplomacy through multiple truce, inability to bargain with individual nations, etc. :(

Coalitions are a barrier, but I think all of their ill effects can be worked around.

Doesn't the -25 relation penalty for annexing a vassal make the mass annex strategy unavailable? Just wondering...

why your vassalization scores are so small everytime ? castille 50% war score for vassalization ?! maybe for a 1 province country in comes close to 50%, but anything with >=3 provinces is >=100%, at least in my games. how do you get those vassal warscores ?

I had to vassalise Scotland, Castille and Portugal over more than 1 war. I needed to make them small so that vassalisation cost <100%. It almost broke my nation, but it was of absolute importance to make the colonial powers my subjects.

Amazing. Simply amazing.
I'll come along for the ride, if you don't mind. This is too spectacular to miss!

Thanks, glad to have you with us.

There is another important limit in the vassal strategy, which is the number of diplomats. Annexing a vassal requires the continuous occupation of a diplomat for at least 5 years, and before that you need the diplomats to improve relations, and sell provinces to vassals. If you care about the size of the coalition, you will need diplomats to persuade countries to leave it. In my France game, even 6 diplomats are not enough for me to annex vassals on schedule, I have to choose the aristocratic idea group solely for the 7th diplomat.

7!? I have to make do with 4, and for a long time I only had 3 because I didn't have the tech for an embassy.

Those ships..... I almost want to do it myself. It's just too good to pass up:S But as said, completely, amazingly broken. I'm very sure that'll be patched soon.

Hopefully. When I start playing this game for fun, I don't want to have any of these exploits at my fingertips.

This is... wow. I can't even express how mindblowing this is. How do you just keep on winning? :D

Careful planning and a lot of mercs.

I just don´t understand why someone would want to play the game this way... I would find it boring as hell!

This is just something I need to see through to the end, enjoyable or not.

The problem is not the music.

It's the sound effects which are surprisingly important to notice certain things. Call to Arms is a big one that is easy to miss when clicking many things.

Not hearing the SFX just throws me off in so many ways. When conducting war on a global scale, I like being able to hear the marching noise of my troops or sailing or my ships so that I can be sure I've given orders, for example. The noise peace-offers make is also important. I want a fix, but I hope to god the fix doesn't break Ironman saves, or else I'm hanging up my boots.

So DDRJake, did that guy with WC with under 50 hours of total play mention anything useful or nothing really game changing?

Nothing applicable for my run. For the record I'm now over 100 hours deep into this run. This kind of global warfare and diplomacy combined with torturous saving make for very slow going.

Great AAR, amazing work. Subscribed.

Thanks!

There was a thread with reddit that gave explicit instructions on how to pull off even Ryukyu's WC.

Just doing really rough math, I don't think the game mechanics as currently in place allow for Ryukyu to finish a WC in time. They're not as bad off as say, a New World nation in terms of playing catch-up, but they are behind, have a poor set of innate ideas for a WC, and by the time you get them to Europe, breaking the blobs that will have formed is such a time consuming process that while you will be able to win, you won't be able to do it fast enough because of the timers hooked to coring, vassal annexing, etc. They are all just set to be too long given the limited number of diplomats you could possibly have.

I'll start worrying about such constraints when there are only 20 years left on the clock. I can't live with 4-digit Overextension for centuries, but I could live with it for a few decades.

---

Sadly not much of interest in this update, just grinding through.

wTf16u6h.jpg

The Netherlands broke free. I've got mixed feelings about this, they have the potential to be an incredible colonial power and they don't have vicious Aggressive Expansion malus against me so I could be looking at a potential vassal here, large though they may be. They're a republic though, so no delicious revolution CB for me.

TEcvlJth.jpg

UDXGj8ph.jpg

fimGvZE.jpg

I grab some more land for Delhi while I gear up to bring England down another few notches as well as burning Greenland again. This Revolution CB is fantastic. It almost dulls the pain of the abysmal rulers. Not only that, but check the event my "young and fragile" republic got....twice!!

rxBUY3dh.jpg

Stability is only a number. A number which costs an ungodly amount of ADM to raise, but what a waste that would be.

YFevxPOh.jpg

The Europeans are pulling ahead with their units again and I cannot even hope to keep up. I just invested in Arquebusters for myself but I think most of the fighting in Europe should be left to Castile and Portugal. None the less, England is just awful at investing in good military on the land so I crush them with minimal losses (comparatively. In some alternative universe, tens of thousands are dying in Western Iberia)

g0XuiEu.jpg

During this time, Korea is daft enough to get a land border with me. I put them to the sword as well.

x9i34Nuh.jpg

UNfortunately, I find that Shun will not buy Korean lands from me. They are too low in basetax while being the wrong religious group, so I just have to swallow the overextension and core them myself. At least it did not cost a lot of ADM because they were so low in basetax, but the 6 year wait to core them will be a drag. With this in mind, I start planning to Annex Shun. They have outstayed their welcome now.

Time for another giant war!

p9d92wnh.jpg

Psych! I just pay my way out of this war in the first 3 days. The real intention was to again have a truce with all coalition members. I can now enjoy 5 years of no interruptions. I'll break truces left and right to try and stay ahead of the game.​

Last edited:
As of a few months ago, I had never played a grand strategy game. And I didn't perceive this as a yawning gap in my life experience.

Then I came across the Paradox AAR forum and I was hooked -- both on the narratives and the mechanics-explaining gameplay threads.

Fast forward to today and Paradox has annexed a healthy portion of my discretionary income and put a CB on my free time. I have years worth of catching up to do in the dark arts of strategy gaming, but threads like this serve as inspiration (though, I'm focused on having a fun, novice, non-exploity experience as a major power at the moment; playing as a minor will have to come with time).

Long-winded way of saying: I've been followed since before the reset and sub'd.

You should stop Muscowy from claiming all of Siberia asap... they growing like some evil cancer! :(
Yeah, there's one coloniser you missed. Seems like it will be hard to break apart all those homogeneous provinces with nobody else's cores on them. At least the base tax is generally low up there.
In my current game they've made it all the way through Siberia, colonised Taiwan and are ready to start on Indonesia/The Philippines. You definitely do not want to let them do that. All those fiddly little high base tax islands.

just wow. I have no idea how you're staying economically a float with -3 stab (-30% taxes).

I´m thinking the same myself. And he also said he uses overwhelming amounts of mercs to win his battles, which cost a lot of money.
I guess he´s using the money he gets from exiled armies and navies looting/blockading, but I don´t know if even that´s enough. Maybe due to the war exhaustion and the crippling he provokes in other countries due to his looting/blockading everything unhindered he also has no real trade competitor, so he gets a lot of money from trade?

EDIT: Or maybe there are some other bugs he discovered but didn´t mention yet, which give him massive amounts of money.

I posted here few times but not sure why I haven't said what an awesome AAR this is.

BTW DDRJake, did you still use the Champa first opener for this playthrough, or did you find a better opener that's not too rule-bending? I had no problem vassalizing Champa but while I do that entire region form complicated alliances that any faction I go to war with next has 3 or more allies ready to assist, making subsequent wars impossible.

Or should I just declare war on that red land locked nation right off the bat to ensure that it stays on its own? It's not like it can do any harm to me because it's landlocked, but it could make my war against Champa much more difficult...

The Japan first opener that other guy mentioned, IDK how it's even possible since currently I have never seen Daimyos declare war on each other or against Japan, unless there is a way for player to instigate such war.

EDIT: Or maybe there are some other bugs he discovered but didn´t mention yet, which give him massive amounts of money.

I assume something far "darker", since he said when shown to his housemate, they wish they never knew about it (which I assume is because it's so powerful and so readily available that it really hurts their regular playthrough because now they have to constantly restrain themselves). Both of these exile 'tricks', while certainly powerful, doesn't seem THAT powerful unless I was mistaken thus far on just how much gold can be made from looting.